PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 with NY1

Sproggy
08-22-08, 16:42
This is kind of 3 pronged question so excuse the length. Im currently attending a Police academy in the tidewater area of Virginia and was recently issued my duty weapon. Its a brand new Glock 17 with the NY1 trigger spring. After a few days at the range and alot of dry fire practice Ive concluded that the trigger sucks! There are other departments in my area that literally get half the firearms training we do, yet still have no problem issueing stock Glocks. Im dumbfounded that a department whp prides themselves on their firearms training would issue a gun with a trigger thats less than ideal(that of course is just my humble opinion).

Im not new to Glocks. Ive got a fantastic(but highly modified) G19 that I carry concealed daily with a stock(but polished) trigger that i shoot very well. My goal was to graduate with the Master pistol certification, a goal that was easily within reach with a stock trigger. Unfortunately my duty weapon is not what i hoped it would be. I do realize though that I have to get used to it for the time being....so here goes the questions.

1. First and foremost, what is everyones opinion on this trigger? Its a stock 5.5 with the NY1 spring and it comes in at at least 8 pounds. Thats more than 3 times the weight of the gun by the way.

2. Ive found that I have to use more finger on the trigger in order to get a good, smooth press and a subsequently accurate shot. Has anyone else found this to be true?

3. And finally, does anyone have any tips they could possibly pass along to me regarding how to deal with this ridiculous weight?

If I sound like im whining then I apologize, but i am very dissapointed. Scoring a 100% on firearms was a goal that im very serious about and one I thought I could accomplish. Now ive had the proverbial wrench thrown into my plans. I very much appreciate everyones opinions and assistance!

R Moran
08-22-08, 18:20
Sproggy,
I feel your pain, at my new employs basic and SRT course. we are told we are "precision shooters" then issued a G22 w/ the 8 pound connector:rolleyes:

Fear not, good shooting is with in reach. Our course of fire goes out to 50 yards/mtrs including 2 standing 2 kneeling and 2 prone, it also has about 8 rounds fired from 25 yards/mtrs, both the 25 and 50 are fired from behind cover.

I've been able to shoot a 97% or so, about a 291 to 297 out of 300. Another good shooter was always a few points ahead of me, and finally scored a 300 on the final qual. Others shooters also do very well, regularly maxing the qual.

What I found with the Glock trigger, is a tendency to shoot to the left, I suspect that due to my small hands, I tend to push the trigger to the left as I manipulate. The problem is exacerbated with the heavier triggers. Its not so bad with a 3.5 trigger.
By working on getting a more off centered grip, and more finger on the trigger, it helps a lot, but it need to really concentrate on the draw.

I don't know about the NY1 spring, but the 8 pound connectors, smoothed out, and really aren't that bad, after awhile.

HTH,
Bob

M4arc
08-22-08, 20:00
I'm not sure what city you're in but I don't believe VB issues their G17s in that configuration. Is it possible they just gave you that for training only?

The popular configuration is the NY1 trigger spring with a #3.5 connector.

Sproggy
08-22-08, 21:39
Sproggy,
I feel your pain, at my new employs basic and SRT course. we are told we are "precision shooters" then issued a G22 w/ the 8 pound connector:rolleyes:

Fear not, good shooting is with in reach. Our course of fire goes out to 50 yards/mtrs including 2 standing 2 kneeling and 2 prone, it also has about 8 rounds fired from 25 yards/mtrs, both the 25 and 50 are fired from behind cover.

I've been able to shoot a 97% or so, about a 291 to 297 out of 300. Another good shooter was always a few points ahead of me, and finally scored a 300 on the final qual. Others shooters also do very well, regularly maxing the qual.

What I found with the Glock trigger, is a tendency to shoot to the left, I suspect that due to my small hands, I tend to push the trigger to the left as I manipulate. The problem is exacerbated with the heavier triggers. Its not so bad with a 3.5 trigger.
By working on getting a more off centered grip, and more finger on the trigger, it helps a lot, but it need to really concentrate on the draw.

I don't know about the NY1 spring, but the 8 pound connectors, smoothed out, and really aren't that bad, after awhile.

HTH,
Bob

Thanks for the encouraging words man, I appreciate it. After all is said and done you are right, I can master this trigger just like i did the 5.5#. I guess Im just frustrated that they would issue a trigger like this to a department that frequently has to draw and use their weapons. To me it seems silly to boast about the quality of your firearms instruction and then issue a trigger that says "sorry... but we dont trust you". Ive made some slight changes over the last couple of days to my finger placement and have had great results. Finally today the "light bulb" came on and I think im where i need to be. In fact i would dare to say that the changes ive made have made my trigger press more consistent across the board. Our qualification course sounds very similar to yours in that we shoot from behind barricades, prone, kneeling, strong and weak hand only and every other imaginable position. Im looking forward to getting back out there now that im back on track.

M4arc, I have a few friends on VB and they are apparently issued stock Glock 17's. I am in Norfolk and i really enjoy the training and the progressive attitude of the department. In fact....their decision to use this trigger is really my only serious gripe. We dont use the 3.5# connector though..... I wouldnt be quite so bothered if we did. Instead they gave us the NY1 trigger with the stock 5.5 connector. 8 pounds of mush.......

target4fun
08-24-08, 11:45
Lot of dry fireing with that 8 lb and some finger tip push ups will make that 8lb feel like a 5 lb.

R Moran
08-24-08, 15:38
Lot of dry fireing with that 8 lb and some finger tip push ups will make that 8lb feel like a 5 lb.

Think what it would do for a stock 5lb trigger...

Bob

deercop
08-25-08, 08:31
I won my State LE agency's "Top Gun" award with my personal Glock 22 w/ NY1 trigger. I outshot other LEO's equipped with stock Glocks, Glock 35's w/ 3.5 connector, Sig 220/226, and Beretta's.

It's the nut behind the trigger.

Detmongo
08-25-08, 10:59
we use ny2 in our glocks. i was able to qual. with 280 pts out of 300 on the FBI's bullseye course during thier FI school. i have shot numerous BE course since then and shot as high as 297 pts. all with same gun with our ny2 (which is 12 lbs.) i agree it's the driver not the car. is it poosible that nerves get to you when you qual. it happened to me during the FBI school and the best i could to was 280. after the school with no pressure i've shot a 297 again no pressure. try to relax and just shoot the course of fire, if the skills are there you will be fine.:D

HK45
09-06-08, 09:53
Good thread on the 10-8 forum on Glocks with NY-1 trigger spring and 3.5 connector.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=71565&an=0&page=0#71565

xray 99
09-06-08, 10:05
My agency switched from a traditional DAO to the Glock. We chose the NY 1 trigger to mitigate problems of switching from long/heavy to a relatively light trigger pull. The reset is still very nice. I like it.

HK45
09-06-08, 10:39
Which reminds me, I need to sign up for his Phoenix class.

M4arc
09-06-08, 11:31
Which reminds me, I need to sign up for his Phoenix class.

YES YOU DO!

He really helped me out.