PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought my first semi auto the other day.

ColtSeavers
04-05-16, 16:01
I figure everybody get's one excited new toy thread, so I'll use mine up on my first semi auto handgun purchase. I bought a Beretta 92a1.

I actually did the opposite of what I always end up doing. Go to the funstore, ogle the semi autos, figure it's about time I get one, and then buy another revolver. This time I had seen a 5" GP100 at one of the local funstores, but couldn't afford it at the time, so I waited until my tax return came in and went back hoping it was still there. No dice. Gone. Looked around at the other offerings in a vain attempt to try and fill the void now present but nothing stood out. Walking back to the truck, it hit me to try another reliable funstore across town. They had both Match Champion GP100 versions as well as the usual slew of semi autos (Glock, XD/XDM, M&P, HK, CZ, Ruger, SA and Sig). Actually handled the Sig mk25. Then I saw the Beretta section, something I had completely forgotten about as it's not the new 'hotness', and saw the 92a1. Instantly 'clicked' in my mind, that's it, that's the one. Had the wife handle it (making sure she liked the weight, balance, trigger reach, trigger pulls and safety selector), she gave her blessing and we bought it right then and there.

Wife likes it, I like it and am familar with it (well, technically the M9), it's an old caddie as far as we're concerned. Big beautiful comfortable boat with a fat ass for really comfortable shooting, something the wife will enjoy and like to shoot. Not top heavy as we've found a lot of the polymer offerings to be. We are a wheelgun family when it comes to handguns, but so far she and I are pleased with the newest addition. We've rented and shot about every semi auto we could in town over the years, but still never got one. The desire for one as a nightstand gun has always been present for me though.

Family 'cherry popping' trip is scheduled for next week. Provided all goes well, this will be getting a light, night sights, extra magazines and will be replacing one of my GP100's as first line HD/nightstand gun.

Crappy night time cell pics:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160404_213542_zpsyemfk6cb.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160404_213923_zpsrp96qfna.jpg

Eurodriver
04-05-16, 16:38
I'm confused.

ColtSeavers
04-05-16, 16:49
I'm confused.

Anything I can help you with?

Ryno12
04-05-16, 16:58
Anything I can help you with?

I'm guessing he's confused that this is your first SA handgun.

Eurodriver
04-05-16, 16:59
Exactly.

You mean like, ever?

Like you've never bought a semi automatic pistol ever?

In your whole life?

ColtSeavers
04-05-16, 17:09
Yes. This is the first semi auto handgun I have actually purchsed for personal ownership/use in my life. Shot plenty of them throughout my life, but never personally owned one. Have nothing against them, just always been a wheelgun man when it came to the personal collection.

Brahmzy
04-05-16, 17:15
'Woah'

Now you've done it.

Brahmzy
04-05-16, 17:16
Well, if it helps a 92FS back in the early 90s was my first semi-auto, er handgun, purchase.
And, I have never personally owned a wheel gun. Probably shot hundreds, never thought to own one!

MegademiC
04-05-16, 20:07
I just shot a beretta for the first time in years the other day.

I love them. They shoot so soft I couldn't keep the trigger up with the sights, and was getting hits on a 12" plate at 20yds as fast as I could pull the trigger (didn't time it, bUT generally .2-.25 sec splits). I need to practice speed with my m&p more!

Good puchase, you'll love it. I'd suggest putting a light on it for hd, and stick with me gar mags.

556BlackRifle
04-05-16, 22:04
Firstly, Congrats! Secondly, it's about damn time!! :lol:

Leuthas
04-05-16, 22:33
Did you not see the Glock section or something?

I mean, I read what you wrote. But of all things sir...

ColtSeavers
04-05-16, 23:28
I just shot a beretta for the first time in years the other day.

I love them. They shoot so soft I couldn't keep the trigger up with the sights, and was getting hits on a 12" plate at 20yds as fast as I could pull the trigger (didn't time it, bUT generally .2-.25 sec splits). I need to practice speed with my m&p more!

Good puchase, you'll love it. I'd suggest putting a light on it for hd, and stick with me gar mags.

Thank you and already saving up for the light and extra Mec Gar mags.

Firstly, Congrats! Secondly, it's about damn time!!*:lol:

Thank you and agreed!

Did you not see the Glock section or something?

I mean, I read what you wrote. But of all things sir...

Yessir, I made sure to walk right on by it without even so much as a glance. While I completely respect their reliability and having brought polymer firearms to where they are today, I cannot get over the soulessness of them. Wife's not particularly fond of them either. I shoot them just fine and don't really mind the grip angle that much thanks to many different grips and grip angles on my revolvers over the years.

Would I trust my life to one? Yes.
Would I willingly spend money on one? Clearly, no.

Coal Dragger
04-05-16, 23:49
Well you've gone an done it now. Before long you'll be a total Beretta nut, sending your 92FS off to Wilson Combat for upgrades and such.

You did good though, hard to go wrong with the Beretta and good magazines.

ColtSeavers
04-06-16, 10:48
Well you've gone an done it now. Before long you'll be a total Beretta nut, sending your 92FS off to Wilson Combat for upgrades and such.

You did good though, hard to go wrong with the Beretta and good magazines.

Yeah, already perused Wilson's offerings, though I'm going to do my best to keep myself in check and stick to a light, night sights, magazines, ammo and my one splurge will be an extended mag release. Thank you for the vote of confidence!

HeruMew
04-06-16, 11:09
Congrats Colt!

First and foremost, I give you kudos for being primarily wheel guns for your pistol purchases.

I also give you kudos for finally taking the plunge!

For someone like myself, who's very first handgun was an old U.S. Fold Open .38 S&W (I had to remove it from a home for a family member while I was younger) and my first actual semi-auto purchase was a HiPoint JCP .40.

After getting in some good time with that faithful brick (I say that because I only ever had one FTE, and that was with Tula ammo, otherwise my JCP has run well for hundreds of rounds.)

I next purchased a Canik TP9 back in... 2010-2011 from J&G Sales. It was a unique model, the Dolphin not the V2s, that came with plastic "night-sites" but they need a good bit of light to get any sort of decent "charge" for night.

I've made some small pocket purchases, bought a PT-22 when they were around $200, operates beautifully, and most recently a Glock 26.

Long story short, prepare your future wallet for another dive soon. If you have the chance, try out a Glock, even if you go a rental range to try one out. I am by far the first person to drive any particular brand down someone's throat, but Glock, Walther, S&W, some of the new Rugers, they're a blast to have some fun with. Each company, usually, tries out different ergonomics, sights, and it's awesome to see the engineering that gets put into some of these.

Fordtough25
04-06-16, 14:07
Excellent choice for a semi auto sir, I have an older brigadier model 92 and love shooting it!! 44mag.com had factory beretta 17 round mags on sale for $20 a little while back. Still may?

ColtSeavers
04-06-16, 15:27
@HeruMew: Thank you and I do highly suspect there will be another semi auto purchase in the future. However, I also highly suspect it'll be another Beretta (either another 92a1 or an m9a3 when they finally start showing up for sale) at this point.

@Fordtough25: Thank you as well. I had forgotten about 44mag.com and will hit them up as well.

nick84
04-06-16, 16:04
I've only met one person in my whole life who preferred revolvers to semis. He sold me a P30 LEM..... Anyways, I'll be looking for your range report and expecting to hear about the next non-revolver you plan to buy. Congrats.

ColtSeavers
04-11-16, 15:31
I've only met one person in my whole life who preferred revolvers to semis. He sold me a P30 LEM..... Anyways, I'll be looking for your range report and expecting to hear about the next non-revolver you plan to buy. Congrats.

Thank you. Plan to hit the range this week with it for a 'what came in the box' (92a1, 3 17rd magazines, mag loader, cable lock and a weird plastic circle that I assume is to keep the chincy plastic container from being crushed like those plastic pizza box 'end tables') session with a bunch of WWB 115gr FMJ.

So far I believe I've done well at keeping myself in check as far as accessories go. I have 10 18rd Mec Gars, a Surefire X300U-B, Surefire F04-A and Wilson Combat checkered oversize mag release all on the way.

I have splurged on a Wilson Combat fluted guide rod, standard 92 recoil spring and 90-two guide rod washer in a plan to see if it will all work in the 92a1 (should, but still needs to be tested of course). The reason for this is that when I looked into replacement captive guide rods (that the 92a1,96a1 and I believe the 90-two use), they're like $50... I'd rather have to spend $8 on just a new standard spring that can be gotten from anywhere.

ETA:
Still have night sights to go though. But with a Surefire X300B behind the F04-A turning it into a 600 lumen flood lamp, plus the other purchases, they've been pushed back for the moment

Digital_Damage
04-11-16, 16:10
92a1? I cant fathom why you would choose that. Most try to get away instead of embrace.

Firefly
04-11-16, 16:23
Glocks are like Vaporwave. Soulless and droning but addictive.

Meh, I have given up on a Vertec and would sooner get a 92G-SD.

Shot a Sig Mk. 25 and despite being turned off on Sig a bit, I actually really liked it.

HeruMew
04-11-16, 16:40

Shot a Sig Mk. 25 and despite being turned off on Sig a bit, I actually really liked it.

Haha! You've hit that comment on the proverbial nail head.

My brother owns a Zastava EZ99, a clone of the P226 (not sure if a direct clone of the MK25) and that thing is awesome!

I can't believe that, for a cheaper clone, it operates quite excellently.

The only thing I remember disliking is there seems to be a weird operation point where, I can't remember what combination of actions caused it, but it would put the hammer in a "cocked" position, but no operating of the trigger would get it to fall.

Maybe I am mistaken, I haven't handled it and tried to force the issue in over a year, but just didn't like the possibility of it turning into a brick on me in the worst of conditions.

ETA:It had to be forced/manipulated to be inoperable. But when my mind thought about if the operator and the firearm took a hard tumble and, conditions presented themselves, the operator may be left with non-operation.

ColtSeavers
04-11-16, 17:06
92a1? I cant fathom why you would choose that. Most try to get away instead of embrace.

Meh, a lot of the 'problems' I've read about them seem to be personal preference to me. No beveled magwell, polymer/composite trigger and safety (can't remember if lanyard loop is or isn't), slightly thicker or longer slide combined with captive polymer/composite recoil spring system, recoil buffer insert, dust cover larger for that insert, rounded trigger guard (yes, some people complain about this) and no checkering on grip.

The only one of those that bug me is the captive recoil spring system only because of cost to replace. I believe I've found the retrofit solution to that though. The other stuff does not concern me at all.

The pluses are the rail, dovetailed sights (especially front), (supposed) extended frame life due to that recoil buffer insert, reliability due to still being a beretta 92/90-two hybrid and all the other parts compatibility (I can even use standard 92 slides on the 92a1 frame, just not the other way around). It was also cheap and ready to go right now.

Sure an M9A3 might've been a better buy, but it is a unicorn at the moment.

It suites my desires just fine though.

ColtSeavers
04-11-16, 17:34

Ageed on Glocks, like I said earlier in the thread, souless but I respect and trust them, just not fond of or willing to spend money on them.

My main gripe with the Sig p226 series is the decocker, I'm just not a fan of it. I would really like to try a DAK someday, but have never seen one in real life. Have manhandled the mk25 in store only, really gave it a good once over trying to decide if I can live with the decocker before seeing/remembering Berettas. I have no issue with the safety/decocker on Berettas.

I know, I'm weird. C'est la vie...

Firefly
04-11-16, 19:01
The decocker never bothered me. I had a Sig but it just went so unshot compared to my Glock I traded it. Now I kinda want another. Plus it was an old German one that rusted way too easy.

Berettas are fun and accurate but I never liked the slide safety.

They both do pretty much the same thing.

The Mk. 25 is just a P226 with more protective coating and a little navy anchor and the old style grips.

I'd almost sooner get a normal 226 and swap out the E2 grips and send it to Robar.

Arik
04-11-16, 19:48
Haha! You've hit that comment on the proverbial nail head.

My brother owns a Zastava EZ99, a clone of the P226 (not sure if a direct clone of the MK25) and that thing is awesome!

I can't believe that, for a cheaper clone, it operates quite excellently.

The only thing I remember disliking is there seems to be a weird operation point where, I can't remember what combination of actions caused it, but it would put the hammer in a "cocked" position, but no operating of the trigger would get it to fall.

Maybe I am mistaken, I haven't handled it and tried to force the issue in over a year, but just didn't like the possibility of it turning into a brick on me in the worst of conditions.

ETA:It had to be forced/manipulated to be inoperable. But when my mind thought about if the operator and the firearm took a hard tumble and, conditions presented themselves, the operator may be left with non-operation.
It's only a clone in looks. Otherwise it's a bend of Walther and Sig but not interchangeable with either

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ramairthree
04-11-16, 20:06
Cool.

On next years tax return you can check out these new phones they have.
You can take it with you when you leave the house.
It comes with a big battery pack and you can keep it in the trunk.
The lethal weapon guy had one to go with his beretta.

jK
Congrats.

Benito
04-11-16, 21:41
Should have stepped up to the big boy table and went with the 93R. That's what I used back in 'Nam....

ColtSeavers
04-11-16, 23:06
Cool.

On next years tax return you can check out these new phones they have.
You can take it with you when you leave the house.
It comes with a big battery pack and you can keep it in the trunk.
The lethal weapon guy had one to go with his beretta.

jK
Congrats.

:o :)
Thank you.

Should have stepped up to the big boy table and went with the 93R. That's what I used back in 'Nam....

Howdy,

Holy Batcrap!!!

You basement dwellin' teenagers sure can't seem to wrap your minds around people with real world experience using a 93R!!
Or that I had too of course, because after all, war is about love. Not the love of recoil when you send copper and lead into another human being from 1000yards away because you're a sniper, but the love for mankind to be strong enough to admit that you can love and that hate knows no bounds.

And besides, when you're in the ME in the 80's and Chuck Norris hands you a 93R before hoping on his black missile toting dirtbike, you say "Thank you Sir! May I have another!?"

I have thousands of pictures to prove it. I just need to contact my neighbor's ex-wife's stepson's girlfriend who wears belt keepers az bracelets and will print it out on a dot matrix printer, then re-scan it and facsimilate it to the nearest Kinko's who will print it out for me to re-scan and photoshop.

HeruMew
04-12-16, 11:04
:o :)
Thank you.

Howdy,

Holy Batcrap!!!

You basement dwellin' teenagers sure can't seem to wrap your minds around people with real world experience using a 93R!!
Or that I had too of course, because after all, war is about love. Not the love of recoil when you send copper and lead into another human being from 1000yards away because you're a sniper, but the love for mankind to be strong enough to admit that you can love and that hate knows no bounds.

And besides, when you're in the ME in the 80's and Chuck Norris hands you a 93R before hoping on his black missile toting dirtbike, you say "Thank you Sir! May I have another!?"

I have thousands of pictures to prove it. I just need to contact my neighbor's ex-wife's stepson's girlfriend who wears belt keepers az bracelets and will print it out on a dot matrix printer, then re-scan it and facsimilate it to the nearest Kinko's who will print it out for me to re-scan and photoshop.

This. Was. Epic.

You sir, deserve to "Drop-thy-mic".

Talon167
04-12-16, 11:18
Plain Jane Beretta 92FS was my first pistol purchase. I don't use it much anymore but I still like the thing. It's got just north of 16,000 rounds through it and it runs like a champ.

Enjoy.

titsonritz
04-12-16, 12:01
Howdy,

Holy Batcrap!!!

You basement dwellin' teenagers <snip>

Déjà vu. :jester:

ColtSeavers
04-15-16, 15:35
Plain Jane Beretta 92FS was my first pistol purchase. I don't use it much anymore but I still like the thing. It's got just north of 16,000 rounds through it and it runs like a champ.

Enjoy.

Thank you, I have enjoyed it very much thus far.

Déjà vu. :jester:

:lol:

ColtSeavers
04-15-16, 15:38
Ok, so, had the 'what came in the box' range session and, I like this gun. [Dumb and Dumber] Ah Like it Ah Lot [/Dumb and Dumber].

Recoil and muzzle rise are very manageable as well. Went again last night with the X300U-B installed and both are now a joke.

This thing runs like a sewing machine. Running it fast and nearly mag dumping is too easy (and fun).

Sent 600 rounds of 115gr WWB FMJ through it using the three factory 17rd mags straight out of the box without a single problem.

Observations:
That DA pull is looooong. I'm a DA revolver shooter, and it still seems long. Not difficult, too strong or otherwise mechanically problematic, just long.
Reset into SA and while in SA is super short and the SA pull is a joke relatively speaking.

Tends to shoot a hair to the left. I am willing to admit this is probably a user error though.
Also, it is dead center hold/sight picture, not 6 o'clock. Not something that conerns me though, as I'm easily able to keep all shots in the head or 9 ring at 10 yards.

The stock grip sucks. I have a higher metabolism, and can sweat at the drop of a hat, to include my palms. Beween the front and rear grip serations and side panel grip serations, there's a good 3/8" of slick nothingness. This leads to a wandering grip for me after 3 full mags. I have looked online at aftermarket grip panels, and have decided to try a set of Stoner CNC 'aggressive' grip panels that have no parts uncheckered to combat this. They are in the mail as I type this.

The stock mag release in conjunction with the stock side panels requires too much shifting of your grip to use expediently, especially in conjuction with a sweaty wandering grip. It's not a huge concern, or truly troublesome, just anonoying, and should be remedied as soon as my Brownells order including an oversize WC checkered mag release shows up.

X300U-B Observations:
Really like this light. Works exactly as described, though 'flicking' either paddle is a bit stiff. That should probably lessen with use I expect though. Also, the 'stubbier' paddles are much more forgiving on the forfingers than the previous model, though they are also slightly shorter because of this I believe (or remember) and could lead to a longer reach problem for those with shorter fingers/smaller hands.
I also really like that thus light peaks out just a bit more than the barrel, helping with keeping it from being abused a bit more.

The F04-A diffuser is great, does exactly what I was trying to achieve, a nice non bright-spot tunnel vision/follow the bouncing ball 600 lumen flood light that lights up entire rooms nicely.
However, the frictio/slide on attachment method is not the best, and it can/will shift (possibly leading to sliding off even) with use. This is something I'm going to look into remedying as the gun's intended purpose is first line HD/Nightstand duty in a Bedside quick acces safe and I really don't want to go and pull it out, only to have the diffuser come loose in doing so.

Will add some more crappy cell pics and thoughts/concerns/findings later.

Brahmzy
04-15-16, 15:54
There are TONs of aftermarket parts out there for the 92s, but these are some inexspensive things you can do quickly that really transform the gun.

The Buffer is like night and day on fast followups (there's probably better out there, but I've owned these and they've worked great) and Hogue rubber grips really transform your grip and even resist sweat. Give them a try and smile.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffer-Technologies-Beretta-92-Recoil/dp/B000NADHIO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Beretta-92FS-Rubber-Grips-Hogue/dp/B00ICTTDO0/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1460753502&sr=1-2&keywords=hogue+beretta+92+rubber+grips

EDIT: Whoa - looks like BufferTech discontinued the Beretta buffer guide rod. That sucks - I had great luck with it.

I haven't tried a shock buff in a 92 and I don't think it'd have the same effect as the full guide rod/rubber insert.

Here's a link:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Shok-Buff-Recoil-Buffers-Beretta/productinfo/700B/

Supposedly the SwissBianco is the best of the buffers:
http://www.swissbianco.com/products/firearms~~/beretta-92-96-recoil-buffer-detail.html

drewthebrave
04-15-16, 17:25
I'd recommend changing the hammer spring to the D-spring. It will improve the double action pull considerably with a slight improvement in single action as well. It's the spring that Beretta installs in all factory Double action only variants (hence the D).

More info can be found at BerettaForum.com

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ColtSeavers
04-15-16, 21:37
There are TONs of aftermarket parts out there for the 92s, but these are some inexspensive things you can do quickly that really transform the gun.

The Buffer is like night and day on fast followups (there's probably better out there, but I've owned these and they've worked great) and Hogue rubber grips really transform your grip and even resist sweat. Give them a try and smile.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffer-Technologies-Beretta-92-Recoil/dp/B000NADHIO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Beretta-92FS-Rubber-Grips-Hogue/dp/B00ICTTDO0/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1460753502&sr=1-2&keywords=hogue+beretta+92+rubber+grips

EDIT: Whoa - looks like BufferTech discontinued the Beretta buffer guide rod. That sucks - I had great luck with it.

I haven't tried a shock buff in a 92 and I don't think it'd have the same effect as the full guide rod/rubber insert.

Here's a link:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Shok-Buff-Recoil-Buffers-Beretta/productinfo/700B/

Supposedly the SwissBianco is the best of the buffers:
http://www.swissbianco.com/products/firearms~~/beretta-92-96-recoil-buffer-detail.html

Thank you for the info, but as I have a 92a1, I already have a recoil buffer standard/built into the frame. I am curious though if any of those aftermarket buffers are actually compatible with a 92a1.

Regarding the captive recoil spring assembly, I have already ordered a retrofit replacement for it consisting of a WC fluted guide rod, factory replacement standard recoil spring and a 90-two guide rod washer. The reason I did this is not because the captured recoil spring assembly doesn't work or because I have some irrational fear of a polymer recoil guide rod, rather, because when I looked into replacement captive recoil spring assemblies they were like ~$50... I'd rather pay ~$8 for a standard recoil spring that can be gotten anywhere.

Regarding grip panels, these are the ones I have on the way in the mail:

http://www.amazon.com/StonerCNC-Beretta-Aggressive-Series-Pistol/dp/B01BI1SYF2
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RxMAAmzdL._SY400_.jpg

I'd recommend changing the hammer spring to the D-spring. It will improve the double action pull considerably with a slight improvement in single action as well. It's the spring that Beretta installs in all factory Double action only variants (hence the D).

More info can be found at BerettaForum.com

I thank you as well for the info and am actually aware of this product. I am just not at a point yet where I feel the pull weight is a problem.

drewthebrave
04-16-16, 00:27
I thank you as well for the info and am actually aware of this product. I am just not at a point yet where I feel the pull weight is a problem.

Absolutely understand where you're coming from. With your wheelgun background I'm sure a DA trigger pull is as natural as can be. And no need to fix what isn't broken.

But when you order some replacement springs for routine maintenance, add a D spring to the cart. For what it's with, it's the only upgrade I've done to my 92. Welcome to the club!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Slater
04-16-16, 11:57
Remember, God packs a Glock, but I'm sure the Apostles carry Beretta 92's :D

ColtSeavers
04-16-16, 14:35

I'll take that as a compliment :)

MountainRaven
04-16-16, 15:03

Blasphemy. God's gun is a 1911, custom made by JMB himself to His exact specifications.

It's Saint Michael and Satan who carry Glocks. (True fact. :p)

HeruMew
04-16-16, 19:19
Thanks for such an awesome review of your 92, Colt.

Sounds like its working out well for you so far.

Hopefully we'll see some pics after those grips are installed. ;)

ColtSeavers
04-16-16, 23:39
Thanks for such an awesome review of your 92, Colt.

Sounds like its working out well for you so far.

Hopefully we'll see some pics after those grips are installed. ;)

Thank you, I am definately very pleased with my 92a1.

I got the grip panels in the mail today, installed them about 10min ago and, wow, these things are great. As near as I can figure, based on lots of reading, they are the equivalent of the WC ultra thin grip panels and/or Hogue ultra thin aluminum panels. They shave a good amount of girth off of the grip as a whole. However, like the previously mentioned panels, using the lock washers (already present/standard) with the grip screws causes the screw heads to protrude very slightly from the rest of the panel. As of right now I do not find this to be problematic as I cannot really feel the 'bumps'. If I end up feeling them and they become problematic I will reattach them without the lock washers to see if that seats the heads flush.

Also, the 'super agressive' full panel checkering (as opposed to ones that have boarders of slick nothingness) is fantastic. I am extremely pleased with them thus far based on 'dorking out' manhandling them right now. I do admit though that final judgement should be and is reserved for after another range session

Pictures:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160416_211109_zps53mmvw0k.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160416_211120_zpseu8ds3j9.jpg

HeruMew
04-16-16, 23:43
Wow, that looks mint!

I really like the character those grips add.

Looks like it should be a worthwhile imporvement over the standard grips.

Thanks for the pictures too!

ColtSeavers
04-16-16, 23:44
Moar pikchurz:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160416_211207_zpschelvrnj.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160416_211211_zps6i32z6ew.jpg

ColtSeavers
04-17-16, 00:02
Wow, that looks mint!

I really like the character those grips add.

Looks like it should be a worthwhile imporvement over the standard grips.

Thanks for the pictures too!

Agreed and no problem.

Nightstalker865
04-17-16, 08:48
Looks great, glad your enjoying it.

One question: why did you change out the lens on the light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColtSeavers
04-17-16, 10:06
Looks great, glad your enjoying it.

One question: why did you change out the lens on the light?

Thank you.

As previously mentioned in this thread, my intended purpose for this 92a1 is primary HD/Nightstand duty. As such, I wanted to avoid the possibilities of increased splashback, tunnel vision and 'follow the bouncing ball' inside my home with white interior walls. I therefore added a F04-A slip on diffuser to change the TIR lense beam pattern from 'second sun' with super reach bright spot coupled with decent spill to a flood lamp. No actual modification was done, simply slip on.

Fordtough25
04-17-16, 11:18
Thank you, I am definately very pleased with my 92a1.

I got the grip panels in the mail today, installed them about 10min ago and, wow, these things are great. As near as I can figure, based on lots of reading, they are the equivalent of the WC ultra thin grip panels and/or Hogue ultra thin aluminum panels. They shave a good amount of girth off of the grip as a whole. However, like the previously mentioned panels, using the lock washers (already present/standard) with the grip screws causes the screw heads to protrude very slightly from the rest of the panel. As of right now I do not find this to be problematic as I cannot really feel the 'bumps'. If I end up feeling them and they become problematic I will reattach them without the lock washers to see if that seats the heads flush.

Also, the 'super agressive' full panel checkering (as opposed to ones that have boarders of slick nothingness) is fantastic. I am extremely pleased with them thus far based on 'dorking out' manhandling them right now. I do admit though that final judgement should be and is reserved for after another range session

Pictures:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160416_211109_zps53mmvw0k.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160416_211120_zpseu8ds3j9.jpg

I really like those grips! I have the beretta marked hogue panels on mine currently, they aren't bad but I'd say not as grippy as yours.

ColtSeavers
04-17-16, 23:47
I really like those grips! I have the beretta marked hogue panels on mine currently, they aren't bad but I'd say not as grippy as yours.

Thank you, I am definately pleased with giving them a try over some of the more famous name brands that retain the slick nothingness boarders or worse, the half checkering.

ramairthree
04-18-16, 12:41
Seems like you put thought into the light plan.

Most laugh at my older lights and go for the newest and brightest on the market.

ColtSeavers
04-18-16, 14:45
Seems like you put thought into the light plan.

Most laugh at my older lights and go for the newest and brightest on the market.

I did put a bit of thought into it I must admit. I must also admit that one of the reasons I thought of this is because this light has the 'horsepower' (lumens) to that much more effectively be used as a flood lamp as opposed to fantastic reach. That and the fact that the diffuser re1uires no modification to slip on/off makes giving it a shot that much more appealing.

ColtSeavers
04-18-16, 15:05
In case anyone reads this and decides they'd like to give the F04-A diffuser a go on their duty pistol's X300-whatever, I do NOT recommend doing so at this time. It adds a large rubber cap to the end of the light which will make holstering dificult and the slide on/off attachment method is nowhere near secure enough for serious use IMO. I am only using it because this will be living in a bedside quick access safe or in a range case or be used at the range.

HeruMew
04-18-16, 15:25
Thanks for the heads-up.

This thread actually prompted me to do more research into weapon-lights and diffusers.

As of current I keep a CREE light handy at my bedside each and every night, but have become interested in diffusers and weapon-mounted options after you mentioned the problems you can avoid by using the diffuser.

Especially when I did a house clearing drill the other night and contemplated what I would do if I had to manipulate the weapon.

The handheld light is, in theory, light/thin enough to set on top of the slide, grip the serrations, and pull. But it seems like a tiresome and problematic band-aid for a larger problem: Being to cheap to spring for a good weapon-mounted light.

For now, it works, and is better than nothing. But thank you, because I am now exploring options I never would have prior.

ColtSeavers
04-18-16, 16:57
No problem.

Complete single/one handed and ambidextrious operation of my first line HD/Nightstand 92a1 setup was also at the top of my list. It is why I crossed Surefire's XC-1 off the list of consideration as it (nearly) requires use of another hand to operate the constant on function should you wish to.

ColtSeavers
04-19-16, 17:07
Ok, got my Brownell's goody bag yesterday and installed both the WC oversize mag release (ovalish one, comes out further towards trigger, not to be confused with the extended version of the standard circular one) as well as the WC fluted guide rod, standard Beretta recoil spring and 90-two guide rod guide washer.

Observations of the WC oversize mag release:
Youtube guides of the process make replacement look easy peasy. It was not for me. Well, removal was easy. First, you must remove and reinstert the two bushings and springs. These things do everything they possibly can to fly away at the speed of light. I got lucky twice, once during removal (cupped my hand and caught them just in time when I saw them begin to bulge) and once during reinstallation into the WC mag release (one of the bushings disappeared and reappeared 3" away from my hands bore I cojld blink or hear the sound of it hitting the ceiling). Also, actually getting the mag release seated properly was a fussy affair. I wish I could give a guide on how to do it, but again, somehow I got lucky and it just popped back into seating and I quickly moved on to testing it so as to not press my luck.

The checkering is VERY fine but is also VERY 'grippy'. You could easily shave or rip off a layer of skin if you tried. However, it works, it works well and easily manipulated with no adjustment necessary to your grip, and that is what I want.

Observations of the WC fluted guide rod, standard spring and 90-two guide rod guide washer:
Nothing really spectacular to report. Simply removed the standard polymer captive recoil spring assembly, dropped the 90-two guide rod guide washer into the end of the slide on the inside of the guide rod hole, inserted the guide rod with spring as normal, put it all back together and function checked it as well as broke it down and put it back together again multiple times. No issues.

Again, I am only doing this because I am too cheap to shell out ~$50 for replacement polymer captive guide rods as opposed to ~$5 - $8 for a standard recoil spring, NOT because the polymer captive recoil assembly does not work or due to some irrational fear of it.

I plan on hitting the range again this week and will post moar pikchurz and observations after it.

ColtSeavers
04-25-16, 01:39
Ok, so, another range session completed with the 92a1 with the bonus of the wife getting trigger time on it as well.

We ran another 100rds of WWB 115gr FMJ as well as 100rds of American Eagle 147gr truncated FMJ. Also, still using the 3 factory 17rd magazines.

Still a dead center hold/sight picture, still shoots a hair to the left for both myself and now my wife. Upon seeing this, I inspected both the front and rear sights and found that the front is a hair off center to the right looking down the barrel from the breach.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160424_224250_zpsh4beowtq.jpg

I am unsure right now if I am going to 'whack away' at it myself, or live with it for a bit while I save up so I can pony up for sending it off to Trijicon to have night sights installed.

The Wilson Combat oversize magazine release functions beautifully. That super fine and deep checkering ensures you're ability to drop a mag effortlessly even with 'bad' thumb placement. Very pleased with it.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160424_222840_zpsfg8yfioq.jpg
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160424_223500_zpsekfmdib7.jpg

The Wilson Combat fluted guide rod, standard Beretta 92 recoil spring and 90-two guide rod quide washer functioned perfectly. The reason I added the 90-two guide rod guide washer into the mix, despite reports of superflousness, is because of other contradicting reports of the guide rod 'locking up' when used solely with the standard recoil spring during assembly and/or disassembly. I did install the guide rod and recoil spring without the guide washer first, and noticed the spring partially visible through the guide rod hole in the end of the slide after reassembly. I have no idea if this extra shift/movement of the recoil spring at the end of the guide rod cold be the culprit of the 'locking up' issues that some have reported or not, and rather than 'guinea pig' it, I decided to install the guide washer. The guide washer is just slightly undersized from the guide rod hole in the slide while filling up the inner diameter of the guide rod 'shroud'(?). I figure if it truly is unnecessary, then at least it in no way impairs function and is cheap. Also, the flutes in the WC guide rod should help with expulsion of any extra detritus buildup due to the now slightly undersized guide rod hole.

Probably just overthought the piss out of it, but it works.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160424_223134_zpsnpzxjhma.jpg
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160424_223338_zpsoqaz18hu.jpg
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160424_231825_zpsx1rco6kw.jpg

As of right now, aside from the front sight being a hair off center, I am still very happy with this gun, and the wife likes it as well (I think the slide actuating is the only reason why there's 'recoil' to be honest, in other words, there's nearly none), though she thinks the WC oversize mag release is 'too grippy'.

Nightstalker865
04-25-16, 06:11
Glad you are still enjoying it. The Trijicon's would be a nice addition to finish out the setup.

Ohh and I'm still in agreement with what others have already mentioned, spend the $6 on the D spring and never look back. It's a 2min install and makes a HUGE difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColtSeavers
04-25-16, 16:17
Glad you are still enjoying it. The Trijicon's would be a nice addition to finish out the setup.

Ohh and I'm still in agreement with what others have already mentioned, spend the $6 on the D spring and never look back. It's a 2min install and makes a HUGE difference.

Thank you. I do keep the D spring in mind as a possiblity, but the sights (either adjusting or replacing) are my main concern at this point.

Also forgot to mention the the Stoner CNC 'super aggressive' grip panels work very well. No more sweaty wandering grip at all and definately a continued felt slimness in grip girth.

HeruMew
04-25-16, 16:48
Thanks again for posting!

Really enjoying watching your setup come to fruition.

I have to say, the WC fluted guide rod is one sexy piece of hardware. Captive springs, while I understand the "why", have always been a bit over-complicating to the nature of the machine.

I suppose I can't complain as I am one of the many who benefit from this happening.

Ironically, the only non-captured recoil spring I have is in my HiPoint .40 JCP.

ColtSeavers
04-25-16, 18:07
Thanks again for posting!

Really enjoying watching your setup come to fruition.

I have to say, the WC fluted guide rod is one sexy piece of hardware. Captive springs, while I understand the "why", have always been a bit over-complicating to the nature of the machine.

I suppose I can't complain as I am one of the many who benefit from this happening.

Ironically, the only non-captured recoil spring I have is in my HiPoint .40 JCP.

No problem.

Thinking more about the 90-two guide rod guide washer slightly undersizing the guide rod hole, I wonder if the captive recoil polymer guide rod is of a slightly larger diameter (to compensate for being other than steel), and the reason a standard or WC fluted guide rod can reportedly be probematic for the 92a1 and 96a1 (if not the 90-two as well, but I have no idea about that 'off-shoot').

At any rate, I'd gladly keep using the polymer recoil spring assemblies if they weren't ~10x the price of a standard recoil spring, so retrofit solution (that works!) it is for me.

Tzook
04-25-16, 22:31
I couldn't begin to guess why you've waited till 2016, in the age of ultra-reliable semi autos to own one, but enjoy it. It should serve you well.

Boba Fett v2
04-25-16, 23:59
This thread is really funny.

OP, kudos for the pick-up. Personally, I would never dream of buying one, let alone admit owning one on the internet. I had to carry that POS as a secondary during two tours in the desert. But considering yours likely won't see combat I'm sure it'll serve you fine. Congrats.

ColtSeavers
04-26-16, 15:40
I couldn't begin to guess why you've waited till 2016, in the age of ultra-reliable semi autos to own one, but enjoy it. It should serve you well.

Thank you. It's really just been a personal preference cor revolvers at heart thing. I'm (officially now?) not anti bottom feeding brass chucker.

This thread is really funny.

OP, kudos for the pick-up. Personally, I would never dream of buying one, let alone admit owning one on the internet. I had to carry that POS as a secondary during two tours in the desert. But considering yours likely won't see combat I'm sure it'll serve you fine. Congrats.

Thank you as well.

I actually like Berettas. As mine is brand new, including all magazines, I have little fear of unreliability concerns due to manhandling by countless different troops, 'armorers', and used parts/mags. With 600rds through it straight out of the box with only Otis 085 Ultrabore on it and another 200rds with the retrofit WC fluted guide rod, standard recoil spring and 90-two guide rod guide washer, I am confident in it's reliable function. My only concern right now is the slightly off center front sight.

ColtSeavers
04-29-16, 15:06
Sooo... The front sight being off center ate away at my OCD until I finally said "Screw it."

Two pronged approach:
After searching online in vain for a front sight tool, I chucked the slide in the vice (protected of course), grabbed a punch and 'took a stab' at 'whacking away' at it myself. No dice. Not enough purchase on the base of the sight to get any good traction with the punch to do more than knurl up the edge a bit. The alternative would be to use the sight post to 'whack away' against, but I was/am hesitant to do this for fear of bending the slide's dovetail in the process.

Meanwhile, I scored some Trijicon BE12's for $103 shipped which are in the mail as I type this.

I figured if I could get the sights off myself, I would continue to replace them with the Trijicons myself.
If I could not remove the sights myself, as it currently stands now, I will ship the slide and BE12's off to Trijicon.

Salt in the wound:
Knurling the end of the base of the front sight already had me slightly upset over just how 'bubba'd' it made everything feel (despite being two very very small knurls). The kicker is that after taking so much care to ensure that the only thing to be affected was the front sight (that I've now decided had to go anyway), after taking the slide out of the vice and attempting to place it over with the rest of the frame/parts, I 'missed my mark' and promptly dropped it straight onto the conrete floor. I chipped a bit off of the (outer layer?) of finish of the slide right at the bottom left corner of the muzzle end radius cut...
:(

MountainRaven
04-30-16, 13:57
I have used a generic sight pusher on Berettas before.

I've never toyed with the front sight, but the rear sight was super tight in the pistol: Both pushing the old one out and pushing the new one in.

Now some of the difficulty may have been from using a borrowed generic sight pusher instead of a Beretta-specific model, but having used model-specific sight pushers on SiGs, Glocks, and H&Ks (HK45s, P30s, VP9s)... the Beretta required by far the most amount of force to move the sight. Given this and my experience with sight pushers and with using hammers and punches... I wouldn't expect the sight to move at all with a hammer and punch.

ColtSeavers
04-30-16, 16:57
I have used a generic sight pusher on Berettas before.

I've never toyed with the front sight, but the rear sight was super tight in the pistol: Both pushing the old one out and pushing the new one in.

Now some of the difficulty may have been from using a borrowed generic sight pusher instead of a Beretta-specific model, but having used model-specific sight pushers on SiGs, Glocks, and H&Ks (HK45s, P30s, VP9s)... the Beretta required by far the most amount of force to move the sight. Given this and my experience with sight pushers and with using hammers and punches... I wouldn't expect the sight to move at all with a hammer and punch.

Thank you for the info. I still feel 'dirty' about the whole affair, but whatever, an off center front sight cannot be tolerated.

ColtSeavers
05-06-16, 02:38
I got the Trijicon BE12's delivered, and ended up having them installed by a local gunsmith for a great price within about 2hrs. He did a good job as far as I was initially concerned as there was no damage to the slide, the sights and they appeared to be centered. Obviously a range trip was in order to verify of course.

Mixed feelings:
Before getting a chance to hit the range, I checked out the bright and tough night sights at night around the house in multiple lighting envrionments, and they suck. To be more specific, the front sight tritium vial and the left rear sight tritium vial are NOT visible in pitch black. The only tritium vial that actually lights up light a night sight should is the right rear sight one. Two digit date of manufacture code on the sights is 16 which, to the best of my knowledge, means they were produced this year.

This is very disheartening, but as they are very visible sights otherwise and let's be honest, with a x300u floodlamp on it, how much am I really going to be relying on the glow of the night sight, I guess I can live with it (for now, until my OCD gets the better of me). Besides, my main gripe as the off center factory front and a small desire to raise the POI.

Got out to the range today and put 100 rds of WWB 115gr fmj as well as 50 rds of AE 147gr fmjfp through it. Sights are dead on now, and POI has raised juuuust a smidge, still not to the point of hitting where the top of the front sight slices through the target, but above dead center of front sight dot.

So, now I am stuck trying to decide whether 'to fish or cut bait'. Live with dead night sights that are dead on, or send them in to get the vials replaced (or whatever Trijicon does) and risk the sights being off again as well as be without the slide for however long it takes Trijicon to fix the sights.

ETA: Welp, that didn't take long, took one more look at the night sights with only one working tritium vial out of three and submitted a Return Authorization form on Trijicon's website.

MegademiC
05-06-16, 18:03
Good choice, no way I'd keep that.

ColtSeavers
05-06-16, 18:35
Good choice, no way I'd keep that.

Thnk you. I would love to pull the newbie 'well I've never had a problem with multiple meprolight night sights on my revolvers' move, but that'd be an emotionally driven response. In reality, I'm just on the crappy end of the bell curve, sometimes lemons get made and sold, so here's hoping Trijicon can at least correct it.

ColtSeavers
05-23-16, 01:03
Completely forgot to update this.

Ended up sending the slide in to Trijicon to have the BE12's dead lamps fixed by them after filling out their online work order form. It's only been about a week that it's been in their possession (arrived on the 13th). Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, ordered a spare 90-two guide rod guide and recoil spring as spare small parts never hurt, and ended up getting an inox metal lanyard loop instead of the 90-two guide rod guide. Instead of returning it, I ended up thinking "Screw it, I'll replace the polymer one with it." So, I did. I ended up kind of liking the contrast of the silver lanyard loop and decided to check out what others have done 'playing dress up'. After a couple of different google image searches and the additional discovery of the Samurai Edge, I now have an Inox steel trigger, nickel elite skeleton hammer, stainless guide rod, D hammer spring and a lanyard loop push pin instead of the roll pin...

If I was just able to keep shooting the damned thing, I would not have played barbie dream wardrobe with it... I swear...

ColtSeavers
06-20-16, 15:53
Half-arsed update:

Slide came back from Trijicon on Friday and the dead lamps have been replaced under warranty with no noticable change in sight positions or any other 'bumps and bruises'.

I had planned to hit the indoor range again to insure the sights are not misaligned and to try out the new D spring, INOX trigger, stainless guide rod and nickel plated Elite II skeleton hammer, but I just didn't get the free (alone) time.

I also wanted to try out some different recoil springs as I had ordered some 16# ISMI recoil springs for it to make up for the reduced power D hammer spring and while I was d!cking around with the old springs I noticed two things that piqued my curiosity.

First: The 16# ISMI springs are longer than the standard 13# Beretta catory recoil springs. No biggie in and of itself, except that the standard Beretta recoil spring I had in the 92a1 had already compressed a good bit compared to a fresh standard Beretta recoil spring after only about 200 rounds. That surprised me as I thought the round count would be higher before a recoil spring starts to permanently compress.

Second: Since I was already messing around with recoil springs, I decided to take the captive polymer guide rod assembly apart and keep the guide rod guide washer as yet another spare when I decided to compare that recoil spring to the others I have. The captive polymer guide rod assembly spring is the same length as the fresh ISMI 16# recoil springs and it has 600 rounds on it. I do not know if this means that this is a stronger factory spring than the 'standard' Beretta 13# recoil spring or not, but I am very surprised again by the find.

I now plan to try all three different recoil springs when I get the chance to hit the range again.

ColtSeavers
06-21-16, 00:29
Pictoral references for the spring lengths mentioned in my prior post:

Left to right: Beretta factory 13# recoil spring after 200 rounds, fresh Beretta factory 13# spring, removed Beretta recoil spring from captive assembly of unknown weight and fresh ISMI 16# spring.
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160620_215241_zpsakh9dtti.jpg

Left to right: Beretta 13# recoil spring after 200 rds, about 2mm compression, honestly remember it being more and a fresh Beretta 13# spring NIB.
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160620_215313_zpsqxoii4xw.jpg

Left to right: Removed Beretta recoil spring from captive asssembly of unknown# after 600 rds and a fresh ISMI 16# spring NIB. Lengths and coils line up.
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160620_215418_zpskogx2hh6.jpg

It is rather difficult to exactly line them up as the fresh springs in their sealed bags make it a PITA coupled with camera angle thrwoing it all once once finally lined up and I again must confess that I remember the compression of the 13# recoil spring being much more noticable, but it clearly isn't that bad somehow anymore.

ColtSeavers
06-21-16, 00:56
Barbie dream wardrobe 92a1 fashion show:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160620_215821_zpsdtuzqaab.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160620_215912_zpsxtqhx45j.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160620_215956_zpstsfyacik.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160620_220049_zpsjsuuqz89.jpg

HeruMew
06-21-16, 08:11
Wow!

Looks like it's finally back in it's rightful place.

Glad to hear the work on replacing those vials was done with precision and with posthaste, I will certainly consider Trijicon when I am ready to invest in another pair of nightsights with that sort of review.

I really enjoy the 2 tone accents, I have heard Inox is a great coating, but haven't had any real application meself.

I hope everything remains well, and get us a range report on those springs when you can. :)

Thanks Colt! Great fruition of such a thread.

Fordtough25
06-21-16, 09:38
Loving the updated parts! Can't wait to hear how it shoots, and I still want those stocks!

ColtSeavers
06-21-16, 15:28
Wow!

Looks like it's finally back in it's rightful place.

Glad to hear the work on replacing those vials was done with precision and with posthaste, I will certainly consider Trijicon when I am ready to invest in another pair of nightsights with that sort of review.

I really enjoy the 2 tone accents, I have heard Inox is a great coating, but haven't had any real application meself.

I hope everything remains well, and get us a range report on those springs when you can. :)

Thanks Colt! Great fruition of such a thread.

Thank you. I am happy and relieved that the vials were able to be serviced after reading elsewhere that Trijicon no longer relamps for the 92 series with integral front sight.

Loving the updated parts! Can't wait to hear how it shoots, and I still want those stocks!

Thank you as well.

I got my set off of (and they seem to sell through) Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/StonerCNC-Beretta-Super-Aggressive-Pistol/dp/B01BI1SYF2

They have their own site as well:
http://www.stonercnc.com/#!blank-5/ub27p

Firefly
06-21-16, 16:08
That looks pretty slick

ColtSeavers
06-22-16, 09:04
That looks pretty slick

Thank you, I must sheepishly admit that I am actually pleased as well with how getting sent the wrong part has turned out.

ColtSeavers
06-27-16, 00:12
Daylight 92a1 fashion show:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160626_195645_zpsudph7twx.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160626_195623_zpsymcdttkt.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160626_195734_zpsmgsi59t7.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160626_195710_zpsz72a96ml.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160626_195859_zpsacz46ulf.jpg

Should be able to hit the range this week. (Keeps fingers crossed)

CAFGU
06-27-16, 06:47
My first non 1911 pistol was a beretta 92F too, 25 years ago

ColtSeavers
07-08-16, 09:22
Was finally able to hit a local indoor range last night to insure the sights are good to go as well as try out the different recoil springs.

Sight picture is still dead center/front dot is where bullet will go at 10yds. Was hoping it would be raised a little for my personal preference, but as the are 'dead on' in every aspect (no longer shooting to one side and front sight dot is where bullet goes), I am pleased none the less.

As for the springs, the longer Beretta factory 92a1 recoil spring of unknown weight I removed from the captive assembly and the ISMI 16# spring of the same length give a much smoother recoil impulse (to me) than the 'standard' Bereta factory 13# recoil spring which is shorter than both. All springs functioned in the gun flawlessly however. As of right now, I am leaving the longer Beretta factory 92a1 recoil spring that I removed from the captive assembly in it.

Ammo used was 150rds of WWB 115gr fmj and 50rds of Fed Am Eagle 147gr AE9FP. Range was 10yds.

ColtSeavers
07-24-16, 01:21
18 rounds of P9HST2 (Mec-Gar mag)
Surefire X300Ultra
Stainless guide rod
Inox steel trigger
EII nickel plated hammer
Inox lanyard loop
Wilson Combat oversize mag release
Can't think of anything else that could add or subtract weight really
Trijicon BE12 night sights?

3lbs 0.4oz

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20160723_225956_zpssb5qowef.jpg

Falar
07-24-16, 01:36
THe 92A1 is a nice pistol, I sure love mine.

I haven't done the D spring yet either (or the Elite II hammer) like I have done on past M9s but it shoots great as is.

Not a bad place to start at all.

How was that trigger install? I'm thinking about the Wilson "short pull" one myself.

ColtSeavers
07-24-16, 03:13
THe 92A1 is a nice pistol, I sure love mine.

I haven't done the D spring yet either (or the Elite II hammer) like I have done on past M9s but it shoots great as is.

Not a bad place to start at all.

How was that trigger install? I'm thinking about the Wilson "short pull" one myself.

Thank you for the vote of confidence in the 92a1.

The trigger instal was just fine save one part. Ironically, I followed the Brownell's video on how to instal a WC short reach trigger found here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EfENKS30iA8

The only part that came close to giving me any trouble was replacing the trigger return spring. Thankfully I have different angled dentist tool like screwdriver picks that helped immensely. Ive also read of people using the hollow plastic tube of a Q-tip or Q-tip knockoff (to put one spring leg in as extra leverage) as well as crocheting needle.

*Make sure you cover the trigger return spring when you remove the trigger pin as it is under tension.*

I had thought about going with the WC SRT myself as well, but my issue with the trigger is not the reach, but the length of trigger pull in DA. I'd like the trigger to break sooner, rather than later. The D spring has actually alleviated that pretty well.
One thing that was of slight concern were some reports of the WC SRT being narrower than factory, therefore having more side to side play when installed.

Here's a nice comparison pic that you may or may not have seen yet, WC SRT in front, factory in rear:
http://rs984.pbsrc.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Random%20Stuff/1431530692_zps8949fd87.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Falar
07-24-16, 10:12
I hadn't heard about it being narrower.....maybe that kind of muddies the water for me too.

The D spring is so good I wonder why they don't all come that way.

ramairthree
07-24-16, 10:50
I hadn't heard about it being narrower.....maybe that kind of muddies the water for me too.

The D spring is so good I wonder why they don't all come that way.

When we traded in our 45s for M9s in the 80s,
The AMU came to give us a two week MTT on the M9.

60 gunners, etc. that carried pistols went.

At the time,
We were told the heavy trigger pulls were due to a requirement by the army to fire all 9mm,
Super hard primer foreign, sub gun ammo, etc.

I did notice some stuff, like Egyptian or Jordanian stuff my Beretta would reliably fire vs some stuff, like a BHP, etc would not.

I used stock springs forever.
I went to D springs about 6 years ago,
And have not had issues.

Now,
Why the grip has to be so big on the Beretta, vs say a CZ75 I don't understand.

The old Berettas had no flare at the front of the bottom of the grip.
The newer frames have an indentation/radius at your web space on the upper back of the grip.

But at least I understand why such heavy hammer springs were used.

The front sight was also described as an indestructible, can't be lost, come loose, etc. as an advantage.
Although in current times the expectation to be able to change your front sight overshadows that a great deal.

ColtSeavers
07-24-16, 11:26
Having been a non believer of the D spring and then having tried it, I've converted to believing as it allows me to more quickly pull through the long travel and not exagerate the pull length like the heavier standard hammer spring did.

I agree that they should be the standard across the board in every Beretta that can use one. I suspect the reason they aren't is due to some obscure pull weight requirement even though it was the standard for at least one model (the DAO) as well as military requirements.
ETA: Really should have updated the page before replying as Ramairthree's post above covered this well.

Regarding trigger reach, going with thinner aftermarket grips (in my case the Stoner CNC Super Aggressive ones) will help increase your trigger reach and grip as a whole (two for one) and I cannot recommend that enough as there are no downsides. Why Beretta has not made thinner grips as a standard is beyond me, but with the advent of the M9A3 and the return to the vertec style frame, it might also be moot.

Regarding the WC SRT, it's not a consistent complaint, but it is a complaint none the less. I actually have a slight bit of side to side or lateral movement (as it slides a hair between the inside of the frame walls along the pins) in my inox factory steel trigger if I actually try to move it. I wonder how many people have truly experienced an increase in lateral trigger movement as opposed to perceived increase in lateral trigger movement due to having just replaced the trigger, thus focusing on all aspects of their new trigger when they might not have before.

I say if you don't like the actual trigger reach of the factory trigger, can live with the trigger break being moved back closer to the grip frame (a con for me) AND *possibly* increase lateral trigger movement, go for it.
For me, the pro (shorter trigger reach) doesn't outweight the con (trigger break moved back) and the wildcard (fit) just sours everything.

Nightstalker865
07-24-16, 11:33
I completely agree with your thoughts on the WC short reach trigger. I installed one in my 92G-SD and pulled it out after one range trip. I really didn't like that it moved the break even further back towards the frame. The Beretta already breaks further to the rear than I typically like and I sure didn't want anything that made it worse!

Falar
07-24-16, 11:43
The "reach" isn't an issue for me with my hand size I was more looking at an all-steel "upgrade" and hoped that by moving the break farther back the reset would be a bit shorter.

Nightstalker--cant' wait until the next release of 92G-SDs. I still want one pretty bad. I just wish they had the chrome lined barrel like other M9s/92s instead of stainless.

MountainRaven
07-24-16, 13:34
The only tricky thing about detail stripping a Beretta 92 frame is the trigger return spring.

I found the WC SRT made the trigger pull a little bit better on my 92G-SD, though I don't have short fingers. Felt I could better control the trigger and I didn't mind that it moved the trigger closer to the frame. The smoothness of the steel trigger face versus the plastic stock trigger helped, too.

I also did not find there to be any greater lateral movement in the Wilson trigger compared to the factory plastic overmolded trigger.

ColtSeavers
07-24-16, 13:50
The only tricky thing about detail stripping a Beretta 92 frame is the trigger return spring.

I found the WC SRT made the trigger pull a little bit better on my 92G-SD, though I don't have short fingers. Felt I could better control the trigger and I didn't mind that it moved the trigger closer to the frame. The smoothness of the steel trigger face versus the plastic stock trigger helped, too.

I also did not find there to be any greater lateral movement in the Wilson trigger compared to the factory plastic overmolded trigger.

I agree about a steel trigger being smoother on the finger through the pull.

I think you're onto something with the difference between any steel trigger (not necessarily just the SRT) and the polymer coated steel insert trigger. The polymer coated one might have that much extra material around it (as well is within, as you cannot use a tcu with one because of the extra material) taking up the slack/space between the inner frame walls.

ColtSeavers
07-24-16, 15:15
Rereading that last paragraph, was confusing.

What I meant was that the polymer covered trigger might have a very slight touch less lateral movement then a steel trigger, which still has very little lateral movement on it's own. However, as there is an increase, however slight, some people perceive this as making things worse or feel as if it is way too much slop. Most people, myself included, don't really notice an increase in lateral movement using a(ny) steel trigger as compared to the polymer covered trigger. Also, even though there is lateral movement with my inox steel trigger, it is only noticeable when I 'go looking for it'.