PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps working dog awarded highest honor for military service animals

SeriousStudent
04-05-16, 20:47
Not a single Marine or service member was killed on one of the 400 patrols she accompanied. The Gunny who trained her 10 years ago is now taking care of her, after she had a leg amputated following an IED blast.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/05/heroic-us-marine-corps-service-dog-awarded-top-medal-for-war-animals.html?intcmp=hplnws

A heroic U.S. Marine Corps German shepherd that lost a leg sniffing out a roadside bomb in Afghanistan was awarded the world's highest honor for service dogs during a special ceremony Tuesday.

Lucca, who served U.S. troops during more than 400 missions in Iraq and Afghanistan over a six-year span, received the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) Dickin Medal at the Wellington Barracks in London. She is the first Marine Corps dog to receive the medal, considered the top honor for war animals around the world.

Good girl, Lucca. You are a very good girl.

I have a GSD rescue sitting here next to me. He just got a bunch of ear scritches.

FlyingHunter
04-05-16, 21:05
Well done Lucca!

GSD are incredible. My favorite of all breeds that I've had the joy to walk with me.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-05-16, 21:44
We watched a special on Luca and Gunny last month. It was tear jerking and awe inspiring.

And SS....I know you know this....but it's "Corps"....

SeriousStudent
04-05-16, 22:23
Sigh - this is what happens when I post without my coffee. Thanks for spotting that, it's been a very long day. I corrected the thread title.

I'll start my 100 burpees now.

ETA: There are a few times I do wish I had television. TV specials like that are one of them. Dogs are very special to me, more so than most people I meet.

Endur
04-05-16, 22:51
Fido; fidelis; loyalty; there is no more loyal companion, friend, brother, protector, than a dog. I like them more than people honestly.

Eurodriver
04-06-16, 06:37
Not a single Marine or service member was killed on one of the 400 patrols she accompanied.

That's amazing. SF Lucca.

The best part about the dogs we had was that Iraqis viewed them as ****ing monsters. This was ours.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/PC110103_zpsonmvehlq.jpg

BuzzinSATX
04-06-16, 08:01
This great story only highlights the fact that our DOD has no such decoration for our hard working four legged companions.

We can bend over backwards for every pathetic social agenda going, but the stuff that matters, the stuff that has proven results (400 patrols, 0 KIA) get nothing from our DOD leadership. Pathetic!

Take Care,

Buzz

JC5188
04-06-16, 08:38
Love stories like this...I'm a dog guy.

I'm glad they chose to give her the medical attention she deserved, rather than just put her down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cinco
04-06-16, 13:55
Yep, love dogs way more than people.

Received Lucca's book for a present, it's in the rotation awaiting it's turn. It's gonna be a good one...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00INIYF3Y/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gC3KwD6nL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

cinco
04-06-16, 18:25
BTW - here is an AWESOME opportunity for dog lovers. Just like ^, an older retired K9-vet is in my rotation for adoption. Get your applications in early. These guys deserve special loving...

http://www.save-a-vet.org/d7/adopt

Why Adopt An MWD

These K-9's are soldiers that did not volunteer for their jobs, but did them anyway with every ounce of energy they had. Soldiers that no matter what the task, the long hours, heat, cold, rain or shine, could be counted on to do their duty. Soldiers that deserve the best. For anyone who can handle the unique needs of these special animals, you'll never find a better dog.

MWD Program

MWD Adoption Site

Since the passage of "Robby's Law" in 2000, the military has made great strides in its adoption program, and will adopt out any retired MWD they feel is safe and fit to live in a household situation and try to match each individual dog with a suitable owner.

The Military Working Dog School operates out of Lackland Air Force Base outside San Antonio, TX. This is the official adoption site for all MWD's, and the only site you need if you are interested in adopting one of these K-9 heroes as part of your family.

Bubba FAL
04-06-16, 20:22
Fido; fidelis; loyalty; there is no more loyal companion, friend, brother, protector, than a dog. I like them more than people honestly.

Agreed. Something wrong with a person that doesn't like dogs.

26 Inf
04-06-16, 21:30
None of the Air Force links work, go to: http://warriordogfoundation.org/

I am not familiar with this organization, so this isn't an endorsement. When I tried to run down the military working dog adoption site, that is where I ended up.

SeriousStudent
04-07-16, 19:35
Cinco - thank you for the link to the book, I just ordered it.

26 Inf - A friend of mine has a MWD that she adopted. He's a wonderful animal, and she's a medically retired Marine SSgt. I know she went to Lackland to get him, and it took a good bit of time for the adoption to take place.

They are very good for each other. You could call each of them a rescue.

BuzzinSATX
04-07-16, 20:21
I work across town on Randolph AFB but know some folks over on Lackland. I'll try and run down a POC and post it here.

I was in a briefing back in 2009 and the Training wing commander said they are always looking for foster homes to use for puppies to be socialized for the first 9 months or so. I didn't hear anything about adopting out retired working dogs.

Take Care,

Buzz

titsonritz
04-07-16, 21:41

Man's best friend. Here's how you prove it, lock your dog and wife/girlfriend in your car trunk, open it in an hour and see who is truly glad to see you.

Congrats to the Top Dog, give her a big fat T-bone.

Pilot1
04-08-16, 00:15
Great story, and a great dog. I love dogs. Mine would always be waiting for me at the top of the steps from the garage downstairs when I got home from work. My wife? Meh. Gotta get another dog soon.

jpmuscle
04-08-16, 04:19
Yep, love dogs way more than people.

Received Lucca's book for a present, it's in the rotation awaiting it's turn. It's gonna be a good one...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00INIYF3Y/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1
I read this a few months ago. Great book IMO.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jpmuscle
04-08-16, 04:20
Agreed. Something wrong with a person that doesn't like dogs.
People who don't like dogs suck...

titsonritz
04-08-16, 12:18
People who don't like dogs suck...

If my dogs don't like someone I know that person sucks.

SeriousStudent
04-08-16, 19:55
You are so right.

Thread drift:

My ex invited a coworker over to the house a long time ago, to help him install some car stereo speakers. My black lab went nuts when he came into the house, growling and barking like I had never her do before.

After the speakers were installed, we were grilling steaks. Talking to him about his accent, he explained he was from Russia. Okay, cool, no problem. Then my daughter asked "Are you a communist?" He said yes, and that communism was way better, America sucked, etc, etc.

I was getting more and more pissed, and finally threw his dumb ass out of my house.

Guess who got to eat his steak? My smart dog Belinda, who was so good at the game of "Spot the Commie"! :cool:

That was the only time that dog ever bared her teeth at someone, and the first and last time a commie has set foot here in Rancho Serious.

Okay, back to Lucca.

cinco
04-08-16, 20:14
You are so right.

Thread drift:

My ex invited a coworker over to the house a long time ago, to help him install some car stereo speakers. My black lab went nuts when he came into the house, growling and barking like I had never her do before.

After the speakers were installed, we were grilling steaks. Talking to him about his accent, he explained he was from Russia. Okay, cool, no problem. Then my daughter asked "Are you a communist?" He said yes, and that communism was way better, America sucked, etc, etc.

I was getting more and more pissed, and finally threw his dumb ass out of my house.

Guess who got to eat his steak? My smart dog Belinda, who was so good at the game of "Spot the Commie"! :cool:

That was the only time that dog ever bared her teeth at someone, and the first and last time a commie has set foot here in Rancho Serious.

Okay, back to Lucca.

Yes you are correct and Belinda was and will ALWAYS be right. All us dog guys have a story that will sync with this.

Old wives tale (that I believe to be correct - depending upon your perspective of course)...

"When a dog alerts/barks at an individual/nothing it is your dog's ability to detect evil intentions/spirits..."

ALWAYS trust your dog that is bonded with you - ALWAYS. Too many experiences in my life to prove this true.