PDA

View Full Version : MODIFIED SPR

Quick Karl
08-22-08, 18:50
Still in progress but shot a scary group even with the 400-lb trigger! Since I will be foregoing the OPS INC suppressor I decided upon a 20" barrel instead of the MARK 12 18"

Can't wait to start working up a load!

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karlar58/SPRSMALL.jpg

ZZBLAZEZZ
08-22-08, 22:32
Looking good

target4fun
08-24-08, 00:28
I like it !

MH64
08-24-08, 20:46
Would like to recommend a Larue scope mount so as to not bridge your scope on the upper and the handguard rail.

Quick Karl
08-24-08, 20:52
The current scope is in temporary rings, and I'm not keen on bridging the upper/RAS - but I am also not keen on spending $200 to mount a scope to any rifle, so I will be foregoing the LaRue for an Armalite scope mount, which I am sure will hold the scope just as securely :p

Updated - decided to go with a GG&G scope mount.

Dan Goodwin
08-26-08, 19:20
What size was your group?

Paulinski
08-26-08, 19:23
Nice build. Looks great.

Skip on the ARMS buis and get Troy front and rear or KAC gas block front sight / Viltor makes nice one too.

Quick Karl
08-27-08, 08:41
What size was your group?

It's hard to say really because I broke the barrel in at an indoor 25-yr range and 5-shots all look like they went through the same hole - it's not like you could really measure it - Schneider barrels may not have the internet popularity of other barrels, but they are serious barrels. I will post 100-yard targets once I get a load worked up.

Nice build. Looks great.

Skip on the ARMS buis and get Troy front and rear or KAC gas block front sight / Viltor makes nice one too.

Actually, I prefer the GG&G equipment over all else.

Quick Karl
08-29-08, 15:10
First trip to the range to start some load development...

There are 5-shots in there but I'll be dipped if I can figure out which hole 2 bullets went through...

Not a bad start - considering the gawd awful 400-lb trigger which I hate!

Next up is a GG&G Scope mount, and then a Jewel Trigger.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karlar58/Mark12Target1A.jpg

Here is another so-so target - remember, this is with a bone stock Colt trigger, and some temporary $10 scope rings :eek:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karlar58/Mark12Target2A.jpg

Hootiewho
08-30-08, 22:41
Looks great, but it is screaming for you to get a Larue scope mount and sell the FF tube, replace with URX:D

Quick Karl
08-30-08, 23:25
I refuse to do business with a company that has a photo of a fallen soldier as it's opening web page - using his sacrifice to guilt you into buying their product.

If they want to pay respect to the gentleman, they can do so in less capitalist ways, in my humble opinion.

It's GG&G for me, and I rather like the KAC Rail.

Thank you,

Blankwaffe
08-30-08, 23:28
Looks good man.
As far as the mounts go...the Armalite mount certainly gets the job done for the money.But I like the ADM Recon mount much better than my Armalite.
For one thing it stays secure on the upper better and provides more foward placement of the scope to help improve the weld for me.
One other thing Ive noticed is that the ADM Recon does not mark/ding the finish on the rails.
It gives more bang for the buck IMHO.
This is one of those one time buy items so I would not try to just save a few bucks on it.

Quick Karl
08-30-08, 23:36
I'm not trying to save money on a scope mount and I have seen the ADM which looks pretty nice but I really like the GG&G stuff - it's rock solid and doesn't depend on bells and whistles to get the job done.

I've also heard through the grape-vine that GG&G is working on upgrading their scope mount so I may just wait for to see...

Quick Karl
09-02-08, 16:45
Of all things inconceivable - a GG&G scope mount will not work for me. 1. the locking lever will interfere with the Knight's RAS. and 2. it doesn't allow enough forward position for proper eye-relief with the Mark 4 4.5x14 scope.

Since I refuse to buy anything LaRue I was left with no other choice than the ADM Recon mount.

Also, after reading lots of great reviews about Bill Springfield Trigger Work on another forum I decided to buy one of his 3-lb triggers.

I will post my thoughts after I shoot it a bit.

Evan_O
09-03-08, 00:34
I refuse to do business with a company that has a photo of a fallen soldier as it's opening web page - using his sacrifice to guilt you into buying their product.

If they want to pay respect to the gentleman, they can do so in less capitalist ways, in my humble opinion.

Thank you,

Karl,
That picture of the fallen soldier was a friend of Marks. He is not trying to “guilt” you into buying anything (and quiet frankly he doesn’t need “guilt” to sell such a damn fine American product!)

It’s been a while but you used to be able to make a donation to the family. It appears that has been removed and it is now more of a remembrance/honoring for one of our fallen. I think you perceived it all wrong and I take offense to such a bull shit statement as yours. You don’t have to buy LaRue’s product but a little research will show Mark has probably given more than he has ever received.

Mark and company are some of the best Americans you will ever do business with. I have had problems with one mount I purchased from him (out of many). It was over a year and a half old and he replaced it. A year and a half old with no questions asked. When I offered money he refused and sent a bunch of other products that I had not expected, nor asked for, with the replacement mount. You find me another company that will provide such excellent service. I don’t think you can.

I used GG&G previously. I had numerous issues with them and never had a mount that would return to true zero when removed and re-mounted (which LaRue most definitely will). The last one I had from them broke after less than a year. I called them up and explained the situation. I was told I could send it in and they would try to repair it (at my cost and that was emphasized) or I could purchase a replacement mount at a 10% discount.

Again, you’re not going to find a better American made product backed by such a warranty. Period!

To add, I have no affiliation with LaRue or Mark. I’m just an end user at the grunt level.

Quick Karl
09-03-08, 00:51
Evan,

I respect your opinion, and I respect my own as well. As for calling my opinion, bullshit, that kind of talk belongs in a school yard.

My opinion is that using that photo on the opening page of a commercial website is, at best, a poor marketing choice, and at worst, using his sacrifice to legitimize their products.

There are far more honorable way to pay tribute to a fallen soldier.

Thank you

R.Miksits
09-03-08, 01:52

Thank you,

Now im not a Larue lover, I dont even own any of his stuff, but reading the soldiers bio Mark doesnt state what he has passed on because of, nowhere does it say he died from crap equipment or due to an equipment failure. To me it just looks like something Mark typed up because he was a dear friend.

Rob

(i dont know if theres more to the story though, I may be way outta line.)

Quick Karl
09-03-08, 01:56
All I can tell you is that the very first time I went to look at their website I did not like a tribute to a fallen soldier as the opening page to a for-profit website.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Littlelebowski
09-03-08, 07:22
I see nothing wrong with remembering a fallen soldier on a for-profit website. The memorial is well written and not trying to sell anything. Is wrong for business owners to honor the fallen?

For what it's worth, Larue really takes care of troops needing gear. There's countless testimonials on this subject.

I served 8 years and have lost quite a few comrades in arms and find not one single thing wrong with Larue's tribute.

Quick Karl
09-03-08, 13:19
Mr. Lebowski,

I respect your opinion and your service to our country as well as the service of every member of our armed forced, from maintenance man to infantryman to fighter pilot and CJCS.

You may not take offense to their website scheme, but I do.

I hope this thread can now return to the ongoing discussion of the component assembly and load-work for my Modified SPR.

Respectfully,

Karl

Littlelebowski
09-03-08, 13:37
Works for me. Nice build. You need to take it out a bit and embarrass the .30 cals :D

Quick Karl
09-04-08, 12:14
It's shooting superbly - I'm anticipating the arrival of my ADM scope mount and Bill Springfield trigger any day now. After that all I will need is a GG&G flip-up rail mounted front sight and bi-pod adaptor and it will be finished.

Leaving the barrel 2" longer than a standard Mark12 provides the option for any potential, but unlikely, future owner, to have the OPS Inc suppressor installed should they like to do so.

But I doubt I could ever sell it given what it cost to put together even with the fact that I’ve gotten dealer pricing on much of the stuff through a very close friend.

Quick Karl
09-06-08, 12:58
Installed ADM Recon Scope Mount - which is very nice.

This mount locates my Mark IV 4.5-14x40mm LR/T scope perfectly, 1.471" (slightly higher than 1.450" iron sight height) above the top of the receiver allowing the scope to clear my GG&G A2 BUIS, and far enough forward for excellent eye relief - what a difference a good cheek weld makes.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karlar58/SPR0109-06-08.jpg

Only things left are a GG&G Rail Mount Flip Up front sight and bi-pod adaptor.

Impact
09-06-08, 13:46
looks good. where did you buy the barrel ?

Quick Karl
09-06-08, 14:00
Just FYI did you know that Schneider poly barrels were tested in the original military tirals for the MK12? They are Very good barrels probably the best poly barrels out there.

There were not choosen for the production rifles but they are very good.

I've had the pleasure of knowing Gary Schneider casually for a couple of years through a close personal friend who did the chamber work and barrel installation for me - I could not be happier with my barrel.

I stood right next to the machinist and watched/photographed every step of the threading, chambering, and installation - and also had a custom no-lead match reamer made by Pacific Tool & Gauge to my specifications.

With some more load work I am sure I can improve the group sizes.

Quick Karl
09-06-08, 14:01
looks good. where did you buy the barrel ?

I got the barrel direct from Gary Schneider

Quick Karl
09-07-08, 22:09
When you absolutely, positively, MUST make an eyeball shot, every time...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karlar58/09SEP2008BEST.jpg

Quick Karl
09-08-08, 10:52
More targets from 07 SEP 2008 - these groups would be excellent from any bolt gun...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karlar58/09SEP200802SMALL.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karlar58/09SEP200803SMALL.jpg

Quick Karl
09-10-08, 12:50
Bill Springfield 3-lb trigger installed...

Best $89 I ever spent!

http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15s.html

Quick Karl
10-12-08, 19:36
One of today's targets...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karlar58/378jpg.jpg

Rana
10-12-08, 23:45
Mr. Lebowski,

I respect your opinion and your service to our country as well as the service of every member of our armed forced, from maintenance man to infantryman to fighter pilot and CJCS.

You may not take offense to their website scheme, but I do.

I hope this thread can now return to the ongoing discussion of the component assembly and load-work for my Modified SPR.

Respectfully,

Karl

FWIW Mr. Larue has GIVEN yes GIVEN as in FREE 10's if Not 100's of thousands of dollars worth of his products to many military units currently undertaking the GWOT. That speaks great volumes in my book.

Quick Karl
10-13-08, 01:06
FWIW Mr. Larue has GIVEN yes GIVEN as in FREE 10's if Not 100's of thousands of dollars worth of his products to many military units currently undertaking the GWOT. That speaks great volumes in my book.

I wouldn't purchase a product from anyone that so obviously attempts to enrich themselves off of the service and sacrifice of our military service members. There are more than enough other excellent quality product manufacturers out there who's company leaders do not resort to such smarmy marketing schemes...

You know... Bill Gates gives computers to poor school children in Africa - because he wants Windows customers when they grow up!

Rana
10-13-08, 07:01
I wouldn't purchase a product from anyone that so obviously attempts to enrich themselves off of the service and sacrifice of our military service members. There are more than enough other excellent quality product manufacturers out there who's company leaders do not resort to such smarmy marketing schemes...

You know... Bill Gates gives computers to poor school children in Africa - because he wants Windows customers when they grow up!

Ok?

I don't think Mr. Larue is even in the same ball park as Bill Gates but you definitely have a personal angst against the man.

How many 10's of thousands of dollars have you given on the GWOT?

VLODPG
10-13-08, 09:54
Ok?

I don't think Mr. Larue is even in the same ball park as Bill Gates but you definitely have a personal angst against the man.

Thats an understatement!

Quick Karl
10-13-08, 21:09

How many 10's of thousands of dollars have you given on the GWOT?

Obviously, you've missed the point -- If he did, in fact, give free parts to our troops, it's obvious that he did so as a marketing strategy, and not out of the goodness of his kind heart... Furthermore, using a dead American Soldier as the opening page on a website that sells AR15 bling parts, is disgusting, in my humble opinion.

My angst is not against any one person, but against the many persons that prey on the 'Mall Ninjas' referred to in the other SPR post (that the author conveniently had deleted) by trying to build legitimacy into average parts off of the efforts and sacrifices of our service members (big photo of Army guys dressed in combat gear omitted).

There is no voodoo or any government secrets about the specifications of the SPR – only a few parts dealers that want you to think so, so they can jack you for a lot more money than you ought to be spending.

Rana
10-13-08, 21:21
Obviously, you've missed the point -- If he did, in fact, give free parts to our troops, it's obvious that he did so as a marketing strategy, and not out of the goodness of his kind heart... Furthermore, using a dead American Soldier as the opening page on a website that sells AR15 bling parts, is disgusting, in my humble opinion.

My angst is not against any one person, but against the many persons that prey on the 'Mall Ninjas' referred to in the other SPR post (that the author conveniently had deleted) by trying to build legitimacy into average parts off of the efforts and sacrifices of our service members (big photo of Army guys dressed in combat gear omitted).

There is no voodoo or any government secrets about the specifications of the SPR – only a few parts dealers that want you to think so, so they can jack you for a lot more money than you ought to be spending.

Market strategy? My unit tried to pay Mr. Larue for his products and he would not take our money! Nor does Mr. larue advertise this fact!

FYI the photo is not of" Army Guys" nor of Marines. Again, you post nothing based on the facts.

No one is trying to "Jack" anyone out of anything. You did however try to "Jack" Mr. Vickers write-up on the Centurion Arms SPR upper- shame on you for that (probably why your crap was deleted!).

You are simply posting without thinking or even knowing your facts. Any chance of having a legitimate voice here has been lost by your obvious ignorance and stupidity.

MH64
10-13-08, 21:31

OK, how is it obvious that giving free parts to our troops is not out of the goodness of his heart???

Robb Jensen
10-13-08, 22:19
Quick Karl,
Whether you like him or hate him Mark LaRue has given away a metric SH**Load of gear to the troops and contractors in both sandboxes etc.......even if you don't like him for whatever reason you can't fault the man for that. He is a patriot.

GHL
10-13-08, 23:02

I'm going to take a stab and bet that you own one of Bill Gate's computers?

Quick Karl
10-14-08, 10:48
Quick Karl,
Whether you like him or hate him Mark LaRue has given away a metric SH**Load of gear to the troops and contractors in both sandboxes etc.......even if you don't like him for whatever reason you can't fault the man for that. He is a patriot.

Whether or not he has given anything to our troops isn't the issue with me. It's the giant photo of the dead American soldier on the first page of his 'for profit' web site that I find to be a cheap detestable gimmick.

ANYONE that even slightly attempts to enrich their wallets off of even the slightest effort and/or sacrifice of any American Service member, will never get a single penny of mine, regardless of the quality and/or hype of their product.

Furthermore, anyone that attempts to legitimize their average SPR uppers on an internet discussion forum by implying that they have secret access to government voodoo because one of their friends was issued an SPR, will probably hear a few counter-point comments from me -- whether or not they like it.

It's my patriotic duty to a fair and open free market, and to the unsuspecting 'Mall Ninjas' that were so disparagingly commented about in the other post – which, after all, is the target demographic for the voodoo SPR’s.

With a little effort anyone can find all the voodoo secrets of the SPR by spending a little time on Google – but if excellent grade consistent accuracy is your goal from a replica SPR, I would stay away from pseudo MilSpec clone barrels and chambers, unless you just want to sling cheap lead downrange on a Saturday afternoon.

SethB
10-14-08, 11:10
Mark may have a picture of a dead Soldier on his site, but I think the fact that he knew this Soldier and counted him as a friend out to be compelling evidence that he has done this for the right reasons.

Not to mention that LaRue works his ass off for the troops.

What was the last thing you did for them? I'm sure you have a sticker or something...

ST911
10-14-08, 11:24
Quick Karl,
Whether you like him or hate him Mark LaRue has given away a metric SH**Load of gear to the troops and contractors in both sandboxes etc........

Add a bunch of a CONUS cops to that list as well. Mark's generosity is stupefying.

Robb Jensen
10-14-08, 11:52
Whether or not he has given anything to our troops isn't the issue with me. It's the giant photo of the dead American soldier on the first page of his 'for profit' web site that I find to be a cheap detestable gimmick.

ANYONE that even slightly attempts to enrich their wallets off of even the slightest effort and/or sacrifice of any American Service member, will never get a single penny of mine, regardless of the quality and/or hype of their product.

Furthermore, anyone that attempts to legitimize their average SPR uppers on an internet discussion forum by implying that they have secret access to government voodoo because one of their friends was issued an SPR, will probably hear a few counter-point comments from me -- whether or not they like it.

It's my patriotic duty to a fair and open free market, and to the unsuspecting 'Mall Ninjas' that were so disparagingly commented about in the other post – which, after all, is the target demographic for the voodoo SPR’s.

With a little effort anyone can find all the voodoo secrets of the SPR by spending a little time on Google – but if excellent grade consistent accuracy is your goal from a replica SPR, I would stay away from pseudo MilSpec clone barrels and chambers, unless you just want to sling cheap lead downrange on a Saturday afternoon.

Then you should stop buying just about anything AR related. Many websites have pictures of personnel (military, police and contractors) some of who are dead now. You're free to shop where ever you want, I find LaRue front page a nice memorial to MSG Robert (Bob) Horrigan. It's a glass half full or half empty sort of thing. And I see it as an optimist, the memorial to Horrigan is a great thing.

With that said I'm closing this thread since you've driven it far off topic yourself. M4carbine.net isn't about bashing a manufacturer whom you don't happen to like.