PDA

View Full Version : How many are 100% content?

elephant
04-06-16, 04:12
When it comes to your AR's, are you content with what you have? Are you 100% dedicated to the accessories like sights, optics, grips, rails, stocks as in if you had to keep your gun in its current configuration for the remainder of your life, would you be content and satisfied?

I go through phases, its like my mind changes almost weekly, "what about this, what about that". I find myself doing this like every other couple of nights, maybe its because I stay up late and I'm bored but I will sit with the TV on and lay out 5-6 AR's and just swap out parts for hours until I feel like I have a winner. I try to limit myself and limit my options by putting things like sights, stocks, rails and such on PIF and even selling a few of my guns but the mentality never escapes me. I don't actually get to get out and shoot much, I don't like going to the range and our land is a couple hours a way, and there is nothing to do there. Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone else deals with these things.

GFX_9
04-06-16, 04:19
Other than still wanting buis, yes. I'm content with my rifle

Springfield
04-06-16, 05:17
I have 3 AR's currently and don't do much for swapping parts around. The SBR is set up exactly as I want it as a patrol rifle but I would like to find a different scope for the 300 blackout and a different stock (B5?) for the 16''. I am probably more likely to just build another rifle than make major modifications to the current ones.

twm134
04-06-16, 05:42
Shooting more often would limit a lot of fiddling around. Shoot the rifle more often, decide what you like. Then go shoot more.

I only have this problem if I'm not shooting enough. Once I get a rifle where I like it messing with it anymore doesn't interest me too much, shooting it does.

Lefty223
04-06-16, 06:24
Sounds like a case of 'neverenoughitis' with some 'paralysis by analysis' thrown in....

rick7938
04-06-16, 06:28
I have a Colt 6920 with Aimpoint Pro. My wife has a Colt 6720 with Aimpoint Pro. Both are virtually stock. We take a carbine course each year, and shoot them regularly, and generally hit what we aim at. We are content.

Eurodriver
04-06-16, 06:29
Shooting more often would limit a lot of fiddling around. Shoot the rifle more often, decide what you like. Then go shoot more.

That seems to be the consensus.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?173826-How-often-do-you-get-out-and-quot-shoot-the-gun-quot

I read a book that was about "Life Management". It's content is outside the scope of this thread but one of the main takeaways was that people let "stuff" consume their lives and time and never actually enjoy the "stuff". The example the author gave was if you go to a marina its full of boats that cost a minimum of $100,000 and some are over eight figures. People will look in from the outside going "Wow, what I would do to have one of those!" Yet rarely will you see one of the owners who is content. They are always complaining about maintenance issues, fuel costs, crew costs, marina problems, the weather, etc.

If you want to collect all different types of guns that's a separate issue. But I think most gun owners who have four $1500 AR15s would be so much happier if they simply bought one quality rifle and used the hell out of it.

Jewell
04-06-16, 06:44
I'd be good with mine. I have them all set up exactly the way I want them. That's the exact reason why I forked over the big bucks for Acogs and Aimpoints...so I don't have to second guess.

Hmac
04-06-16, 06:50
It's a process. I was perfectly satisfied with my SBR with DD Lite rail until the lightweight rails became available. So I added that and now I'm even happier with the rifle.

JackFanToM
04-06-16, 07:16
With innovation being what it is, new items come to market frequently. Simply put, you don't know what you don't know. In the Corps I was perfectly content with my m16a2, but I admit now that my firearm knowledge was severely lacking. Fast forward 2 decades and I look back and go, if I could of had a rds and some of these lighter/stronger mats, more ergonomic accessories, these wonderful led lights, etc.
After handling my KMRs, you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming back to a picatinny quad rail, and that was a major step forward from the polymer hand guards.
Based on experience of knowing that I simply don't know, I'm willing to try new items personally prior to weighing in, and if I think they are an improvement I use them.
Currently I keep one ar in a state of flux, and another that benefits from my new knowledge. At present I'm content, but tomorrow is a new day.

HeruMew
04-06-16, 07:43
I can definitely relate to your situation, Elephant.

When i first got my DI gun, I had started with a piston AR, i have switched some furniture nack and forth.

Im not one who can regularily make purchases for that kind of stuff, so to limit myself i would switch stuff around .

Great thread and question, sorry you can't get out to shoot more. It made me realize the luck I have by being able to.take 10 steps outside and have a good target setup.

The FNG
04-06-16, 07:47
I started with on AR, my first one. After tons of research and a little shooting, I had the only AR I thought I'd ever want. Then I found a great deal on lowers for "a rainy day" or the correct political climate. Now I have 4 AR's (in less than a year timeframe). I have 3 with "stock" options and one decked out lower. I find myself swapping my better lower to each upper I want to shoot. I also constantly find myself checking the EE for great deals I can't pass up, which means I buy stuff that I probably don't need rather frequently. All of this leads to constantly changing configurations and different setups.

I have to agree with above though, it usually only happens from boredom and infrequent shooting. I've tried to make a promise to myself to quit getting AR stuff, but I'm still waiting on the A5 compatible PRS. Hopefully I can wait and control myself until then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegademiC
04-06-16, 08:18
Yes: I started with a stag and after shooting for a few years and determining what I need/want I started building a new one and modifying the lower.
Centurion 14.5 barrel
Surefire pinned fh
Urx3
Mega lower
DD upper
Bcm bcg and receiver extra
Carbine buffer (stag)
Stag lpk
B5 bravo stock
Leupold 1-4 patrol
Larue mount
Surefire g2 nitrogen in gs mount with tnvc Cree bulb
Bcm gunfighter mode ch

Assembled by ADCO. Been 10p% reliable (spikes buffer wouldn't cycle tula so I went back to carbine buffer)
It's light, accurate, reliable, and will do everything I need and more. I don't get caught up in latest greatest. Just shoot it and practice. I aquire the parts over 3 years as gifts and by budgeting through college.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/vinnyraf870/2016-03-02%2009.42.39_zps9zrgjfzc.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/vinnyraf870/media/2016-03-02%2009.42.39_zps9zrgjfzc.jpg.html)

Chiral
04-06-16, 08:22
With innovation being what it is, new items come to market frequently. Simply put, you don't know what you don't know. In the Corps I was perfectly content with my m16a2, but I admit now that my firearm knowledge was severely lacking. Fast forward 2 decades and I look back and go, if I could of had a rds and some of these lighter/stronger mats, more ergonomic accessories, these wonderful led lights, etc.
After handling my KMRs, you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming back to a picatinny quad rail, and that was a major step forward from the polymer hand guards.
Based on experience of knowing that I simply don't know, I'm willing to try new items personally prior to weighing in, and if I think they are an improvement I use them.
Currently I keep one ar in a state of flux, and another that benefits from my new knowledge. At present I'm content, but tomorrow is a new day.

I got into ARs fairly recently and all of my ARs are of the pencil barrel lightweight KMR'd variety. I am now thinking of going backwards and picking up a heavier barrel with a pic quad rail. I guess the grass is always greener. :)

MegademiC
04-06-16, 08:22

I only have this problem if I'm not shooting enough. Once I get a rifle where I like it messing with it anymore doesn't interest me too much, shooting it does.

This. The people that I personally know that mod guns the most, shoot them the least. They'll change parts multiple times between shooting sessions, which makes zero sense.

SGTMAJ
04-06-16, 08:39
I am satisfied unless the state laws change where i am at and i can put a suppressor on it.

Tzook
04-06-16, 09:25
I am satisfied unless the state laws change where i am at and i can put a suppressor on it.

In NY? Haha good luck!

wildcard600
04-06-16, 09:32
Content, but still want some optics and, if they ever become over the counter available, a few cans.

afff_667
04-06-16, 10:07
I am low speed, high drag and have two mid-length BCMs set up almost identically to each other (KMR, T-1, BCM stock and pistol grips) but with different color stocks (I have to be able to easily tell them apart). I've found that anytime my mind wanders to adding or changing something on either or both, it's been in response to what actually turns out to be my problem and not that of the hardware, especially following an unproductive range session.

I learned my lessons several years ago right after I first got my CHL in Texas. I bought and sold more pistols than you can shake a stick at hoping to find the magic one that would make me a crack shot. That never happened...Right after I found this site and before I bought an AR, I read some comments about settling on a platform and learning to shoot it. All things being equal with the pistol (it "fits," is high quality, available, affordable for a person's particular situation, etc), that approach should lend the best results was the suggestion. I bit the bullet, bought an ugly-ass G19, and have focused on my skills with that pistol. I have three of them set up exactly the same and have made some good progress in my abilities with them. I'm not near where I want to be, but I know that it's not the pistol holding me back.

I adopted the same approach to ARs when that bug hit me, and I see no reason to change. I will say, however, that I'm going to add an ACOG TA-33 to see if that helps my aging eyes. Again, not a magic bullet but a little magnification may help me. YMMV....

Jpoe88
04-06-16, 10:57
I am very wishy washy. For a long time, I had to float 6-700 bucks around any gun I wanted, meaning that's all I had to work with. if I wanted another, I had to sell what I had. now, my wife is working and we are in our own home, but I am stuck in penny pinch mode, and gradually growing out of that. Literally, I have 1 ar and a bunch of parts to build a 2nd before I tear off into a higher end build. I don't know what I want.

Keep in mind, my previous financial state.

-DPMS Receivers, BCG, LPK.
-UTG Pro 15" super slim
-16" PSA 223 wylde stainless middy pencil
-Magpul MOE stock and K2 grip
-MBUS front/rear
-Strike Industries random pieces on the lower

Theres a lot I don't care for, but I do like the feel. I am going to un-mall ninja it at some point, but if I really like the setup and size, I will duplicate the styling of the build using higher end parts. This rifle fell into my lap, that's why theres not a lot of choice pieces.

uffdaphil
04-06-16, 11:42
When the BCM ELW 14.5 with KMR rail came out I was 100% content with a TA-33 mounted...for a short while. Then MN made supressors legal and I tried MLok which I prefer to keymod. So only SBRs and 16"+ for me from now on.

I like the building as much as the shooting so just one or two perfect set-ups does not fit my wants. I will be close to content with a third SBR and fourth can. Except with optics which I would like to standardize more to better know my holds.

Doc Safari
04-06-16, 11:47
That seems to be the consensus.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?173826-How-often-do-you-get-out-and-quot-shoot-the-gun-quot

I read a book that was about "Life Management". It's content is outside the scope of this thread but one of the main takeaways was that people let "stuff" consume their lives and time and never actually enjoy the "stuff". The example the author gave was if you go to a marina its full of boats that cost a minimum of $100,000 and some are over eight figures. People will look in from the outside going "Wow, what I would do to have one of those!" Yet rarely will you see one of the owners who is content. They are always complaining about maintenance issues, fuel costs, crew costs, marina problems, the weather, etc.

Well, that's an extreme example. BOAT is an acronym for "Bust Out Another Thousand." I've NEVER met a boat owner that wasn't chained to the thing with a constant need to spend money on it.

As far as AR's are concerned, I may change my weapon-mounted light to one that takes AA batteries, but other than that I think my kit is how I want it.

Cokie
04-06-16, 11:52
I'm never satisfied with anything. It's a horrible existence.

Joelski
04-06-16, 12:29
Brought G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) with me from the music biz. Typically, I'm a firm believer in buy once, cry once/learn advanced gear and avoid the procession from beginner to advanced expenses as wasted money if you stick around. I broke that philosophy on my way to owning an Aimpoint Micro.

I adopted a second philosophy of not spending beyond my potential, real, or perceived. I believe I do okay at filtering out snake oil, but take shit for my cheapie scope on my decent rifle. I'll get there, or I won't, but I really don't want to tie up rifle money in something I can't harness and use to its capability.

Jpoe88
04-06-16, 12:38
Brought G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) with me from the music biz. Typically, I'm a firm believer in buy once, cry once/learn advanced gear and avoid the procession from beginner to advanced expenses as wasted money if you stick around. I broke that philosophy on my way to owning an Aimpoint Micro.

I adopted a second philosophy of not spending beyond my potential, real, or perceived. I believe I do okay at filtering out snake oil, but take shit for my cheapie scope on my decent rifle. I'll get there, or I won't, but I really don't want to tie up rifle money in something I can't harness and use to its capability.

Interesting onbthe outbuying your own potential. Swarovskis are nice, but if youre plinking at the range anyways at 200 yards the nikon will be just fine? I get that.

Joelski
04-06-16, 12:52
Right. Anybody can buy a $6k David Gilmour Strat, but can you capture his magic with it, or are you playing "twinkle - twinkle little star" on an instrument that is $5,975 beyond your ability. It's a good reality check.

HeruMew
04-06-16, 13:01

Agreed and great concept. I made the mistake, and never EVER again will I, by getting into a conversation with someone at the local range about why I went with a Lucid HD7 and not just saved up the "Extra 800 dollars" for an Aimpoint or Acog.

At first, considering this question was completely unexpected, I explained to him that I was still relatively new to the platform and that I found no justification in spending 5 times as much money, I bought mine used for 150, for an optic that I personally can't maximize it's efficiency.

Would it be cool? Sure. Would another AR be cooler? Absolutely.

Am I bashing high-end optics? Not-at-all. They have their place, and maybe one day I will buy a used one for a good steal. But for now, my Lucid HD7 works fine for what I put it through.

I would rather learn the platform, or make another one, before I spend money on something I can't fully appreciate because I lack the experience to know the difference between a high-end optic and my current optics.

Thankfully, I hope this method will avoid what you've mentioned. I try to avoid high expense from the progression of beginner to advanced, so I jumped into a mid level optic first, because even I do buy something more high-end, as long as the old optics still tickin' it will get thrown onto another rifle.

Great input all around for this thread.

Arik
04-06-16, 13:09
No interest in changing stuff around. I still want to do a few things to them, mainly optics, but that's it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jpoe88
04-06-16, 13:13
I am all for buying a cloned version as long as its like 1/4 of the real McCoys price to test the waters for the type of optic. Primary Arms has a few "cloned replicas" and I have guinea pigged them and found that I'm not much of a red dot guy and I don't even think a real aimpoint could get me to feel any different.

The TA31 I had, which will be replaced was my favorite optic of all time. sorely missed.

jmoore
04-06-16, 13:14
I have a Colt 6920 with Aimpoint Pro. My wife has a Colt 6720 with Aimpoint Pro. Both are virtually stock. We take a carbine course each year, and shoot them regularly, and generally hit what we aim at. We are content.

This^^^^ (OK, with just a little more bling:)

6920 with Aimpoint Comp 3 (Larue BUIS with lower 1/3 co-witness)
DD Omega rail
MOE trigger guard
Magpul grip (with bolt and small parts/batteries inside)
Bobro VFG (more parts inside. All are inside of empty 12 ga. shell so they don't all come tumbling out when I take off the bottom of the VFG))
Blue Force sling (QD mounts)
Surefire G2X on distal rail - no cords or switches (just thumb operated)
Non-stick bandage wrapped around the slip joint in the factory stock (prevents beard hairs from being removed - especially nice for multi-day classes!!!!!:)

lots of ammo for shootin and for social purposes

Been years since I added/changed anything. (FWIW - My DW Valor is the ONLY pistol I've ever had where I changed/added absolutely NOTHING!!!!)

john

Jpoe88
04-06-16, 13:18
Non-stick bandage wrapped around the slip joint in the factory stock (prevents beard hairs from being removed - especially nice for multi-day classes!!!!!:)

taking that to heart...

Uprange41
04-06-16, 13:36
I am. I've made a point to get my most-used rifles squared away over the last year or two, and my most-used AR got roped into that project.

Started out as a BFH mi-length upper on a complete BCM lower. Got tired of a 9" handguard, so I moved to a KMR13. After that, the only real changes were in foregrip setups and light setups. With BCM's rail panels and an X300 at 12:00, I can honestly say I'm finally 100% content on that end. I also went back and forth on triggers for a long time. I thought I wanted an SD3G, but when I got to run one in my particular rifle, I found that I was able to outrun my ability to control the muzzle at anything but 5-7 yards. So, I lost interest in that. Fun, but don't feel that I need it. I also poked around with some friends' SSA and SD-E, and while I really liked the SD-E, it's value just doesn't show up in the majority of the shooting I do. Then I tried a BCM PNT, but that was a step backwards from my broken-in GI trigger. So, I'm sticking with that.

I'm happy with the BCM furniture and KMR13, happy with my sling and sling mounts, been happy with my sights, Aimpoint, and mount since day one... It makes me warm and fuzzy inside to have the BFH barrel with a shaved A2 vs. the standard with a bolt-on gas block.... I'm just happy with the whole thing right now. If suppressors and SBR's become OTC, I'll trade the upper for a Kino KMR upper. But until then, thats it. All the changes came with a purpose, and I've tried to avoid the tendency to change things while just pew pewing at the TV. If I only notice something in the living room, it generally is a complete non-issue while actually shooting.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1609/26209360301_c3a3f79bf1_t.jpg (https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1609/26209360301_168b91af83_o.jpg)

MichaelVain
04-06-16, 13:41
All KAC all the time. Except A2 grip, swap those out immediately.

Digital_Damage
04-06-16, 14:32
I would love for a truly undistorted RDS, all the current offering have some sort of drawback or image clarity issues.

jstalford
04-06-16, 15:26
Nah. Need. Moar. Stuff.

I'm content with what I have finished, and I care less about projects when I actually shoot.

But less isn't more. More is more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpoe88
04-06-16, 15:27
I just came off the hip for 2 lowers from Range Tool (the plain ones). I have two ideas. we'll see where I get. 18"mid, and 14.5" pinned.

ColtSeavers
04-06-16, 15:33
I am content with what I have right now for ARs.

samuse
04-06-16, 17:49
I'm good with what I have right now. Every time think about changing something, I think about having to re-zero and that just really turns me off..

MSW
04-06-16, 18:33
I have a red dot scoped AR I use out to 100m & a scoped AR I use for further. Maybe I'm a weirdo for saying this on a gun forum--but they're tools, different one for a different job. I don't see extras as making me hit my target better....I can use irons, but my 50+ eyes like a scope & dot for their ranges.

OP, are you a new car every 1-2 years? I'm not picking on you, but I know gear-guys who need a new car, new cell phone, new watch, etc...? They issue may simply be that you're a "gadget guy."

cbx
04-06-16, 19:00
Hell no I wouldn't be content. That's half the fun is building them the way you want, and when you like something better, you do it.

Things change with time. Interests change. I used to be content with shooting out to fifty. Now if it's less than 300 it feels too close. Tech changes too. Gear gets better. Variety is the spice of life.

Don't worry about what everyone else thinks. Do what makes you happy and don't apologize for it.

And trying to be cooler and more tacticul, and more operater than guys on the web is lame ...............

Have fun. Enjoy your rights and privilege. You don't need a reason. You can, just because.............Merica.......

elephant
04-06-16, 19:04
I have/had good intensions. Last year a got 2 Noveskes. I wanted to make them "mine" so I got creative and bought Surefire Socom 762, Eotech holographic sight/magnifier and ATPIAL for one and the other I got a Nighforce and SilencerCo Saker 556 . I was thinking when I would go down to my land I could use one for longer distances and the other I could carry around because it was a 10.5". Then I got a used KAC AR-15 E3 Mod 1 with an Aimpoint Micro T1 for cheap and I thought it was simple and that would be the gun I would eventually use when I went down to my land. Then I got a X products "can cannon" and thought that would be fun to play with at my land but ATF changed policy , so for now it sits. Since I never got around to shooting these rifles I think I had a need that was not being fulfilled so I filled that need by buying more and more and with every gun came with more accessories. I got my land cheap, 370 acres for less than $100k and it has a 40 acre pond stocked with bass. The only problem is it is 2.5 hours driving distance, 45 minutes from food, gas and bathroom. Once your there you are there, there is no barn or house or anything to do, nowhere to sit and nowhere to rest. Eventually I am going to build a small villa where I can stay the night or weekend. I wouldn't mind camping out there but I hate the sounds of nature especially at night.

twm134
04-06-16, 19:32
I wouldn't mind camping out there but I hate the sounds of nature especially at night.

WTF!

Serious question.

titsonritz
04-06-16, 19:32
I could have a warehouse full and still want more, but I get by with what I've got.

OH58D
04-06-16, 19:33
I bought my first Colt AR in 1988, my second one in 1994. I now own 6 Colts and 1 LMT. Am I content? No... I would like to have select fire weapons, but I have settled for 2 SBRs. I have traditional Picatinny Rails installed, but now everything is going to Keymod. Too much to keep up with. I think if I were to add another AR weapon, I would go with something involving a piston gun, just to see how I like it. Otherwise, I may have to force myself to be content to some extent.

cougar_guy04
04-06-16, 19:42
I am probably more likely to just build another rifle than make major modifications to the current ones.

Pretty much the same here. I've got a list of builds I want to do for fun or different purposes (nostalgia, multigun, different calibers, etc.), but the lion's share of the shooting is done with the same BCM BFH 16" midlength I've been running since 2009. I don't shoot as much as I like, but unless it's a DMR match or something like that I'm usually grabbing the same gun every time.

Firefly
04-06-16, 19:47
On one end yes. On another..no.

Mainly I just want to rebarrel my Colt with either a lilja or mid-length BCM.

It is an LE marked I got as a youth. Part of me wanted to keep it stock but then again it's MY rifle so I want it handier. I'm kinda over the Carbine set up. And I want a longer sight radius.

Same with my LMT. At some point it is getting an MRP upper.

I really want to get into 6.5 Grendel.

I sorta want an XM-177E2 clone and a Colt 20" A4. Finish my Mk. 12 builds.

Overall...it's a hobby. I have one well thought out rifle that is my Go to Hell gun and it is a .308. Anything else is just gravy or a hobby. I have a definite stop point mainly once my Vietnam War fetish is sated.

Then my next big move will be strictly into bolt actions and .22s. I'm at a point, better or worse, that I don't care so much. I usually used a dept longarm that wasn't mine anyway but it was zeroed and booked and ran like a champ.

That's about it. As long as it is light and comfy I honestly don't care.

Leaveammoforme
04-06-16, 20:25
I'm content with what I have. Always room for the next 'latest and greatest' though.

As for places for you (Elephant) to shoot that aren't 2.5 hours away:

-DFW Gun Range & Academy
http://www.dfwgun.com

I took a security class here (before it burned down) and liked the overall atmosphere. Indoor (no killer crickets to get ya). Guns and sub-machine guns for rent. Public range so you may have to talk to a couple knuckle heads during your visit.

-Dallas Pistol Club http://www.dallaspistolclub.com

Private outdoor range that is pistol oriented. No center fire rifles permitted. Open to non-members during matches. Might as well get on the waiting list. Some sort of match going on almost every weekend.

I think this last one will be right up your alley (based on a pic you posted of your garage).

Sportsman Shooting Center in Grapevine. http://www.sportsmanshootingcenter.com

Site Sponsor. Extremely nice indoor live fire shooting cinema. Staffed by Aimpoint trainers. They are more 'African Safari Hunter' oriented but also have stuff for us AR guys. Top notch place.

There are many more in the area but the above 3 stand out in my mind.

I was fixing to head out to a carbine match at NTSA in Sanger Saturday morning when I replied to your optic thread. Thought about mentioning it so you could see what optics people were running and get feedback. Figured you wouldn't have time to make it before shooter meeting though.

NTSA is another private outdoor range. Open to non-members during matches. One of the few (only?) places in the area you can shoot 50 BMG. This range may be a little harder to become a member at. Matches almost every weekend.

http://shootntsa.com

w3453l
04-06-16, 20:34
I think a very large part of the whole having more AR's than you can shoot and never being satisfied is the AR market itself. We are at a point where very high quality parts and accessories are available at really low prices.

Add to that the unique aspect of the AR in which you can buy a stripped lower for very little money, which counts as the firearms itself, and they slowly get built up piece by piece. When you have a stripped lower built up into a complete lower out of spare parts you happened to have on hand, you're only a couple hundred dollars away from a full functioning rifle.

You just don't have that with other rifle systems, at least not to the extent of AR's.

Novak
04-06-16, 20:37
Could I live with the current configurations of my rifles? Yes, but I'm constantly looking to improve my rifles from an ergonomics/toughness/weight perspective. As an example, I currently have a Razor HD Gen II 1-6 on a rifle. Would I prefer to have an 8 oz. lighter Kahles or 10 oz. lighter Swarovski on it? Of course. Do I like the Geissele SMR MK8? Yes, but if a "MK9" was released that felt more like a KMR, I'd probably try one out.

I suspect that most people would swap/upgrade components if given an unlimited budget. I know I would.

TacMedic556
04-06-16, 21:00
one more just need one more......a MK12.

In reality, my Colt with a TA01NSN is all I really need.

kenny256
04-06-16, 21:01
I have two nice AR's I am proud and glad I have them. If I never could change them I would be OK. I would b3 luckier then a lot of other people.

Now I do want to change somethings as money becomes available and I do want an SBR.

But I would be fine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Springfield
04-06-16, 21:25
Pretty much the same here. I've got a list of builds I want to do for fun or different purposes (nostalgia, multigun, different calibers, etc.), but the lion's share of the shooting is done with the same BCM BFH 16" midlength I've been running since 2009. I don't shoot as much as I like, but unless it's a DMR match or something like that I'm usually grabbing the same gun every time.

I probably do 85% of my shooting with the same rifle (11.5'' BCM upper, FN M16 lower, Aimpoint) but would like to build an 18'' with a medium weight stainless barrel to scope and use for coyotes or longer range target shooting. I have a 300 blackout for hunting and a 16'' carbine with a Eo-Tech but a scoped 5.56 is still an area that needs to be filled...someday...

cbx
04-06-16, 22:35
I have/had good intensions. Last year a got 2 Noveskes. I wanted to make them "mine" so I got creative and bought Surefire Socom 762, Eotech holographic sight/magnifier and ATPIAL for one and the other I got a Nighforce and SilencerCo Saker 556 . I was thinking when I would go down to my land I could use one for longer distances and the other I could carry around because it was a 10.5". Then I got a used KAC AR-15 E3 Mod 1 with an Aimpoint Micro T1 for cheap and I thought it was simple and that would be the gun I would eventually use when I went down to my land. Then I got a X products "can cannon" and thought that would be fun to play with at my land but ATF changed policy , so for now it sits. Since I never got around to shooting these rifles I think I had a need that was not being fulfilled so I filled that need by buying more and more and with every gun came with more accessories. I got my land cheap, 370 acres for less than $100k and it has a 40 acre pond stocked with bass. The only problem is it is 2.5 hours driving distance, 45 minutes from food, gas and bathroom. Once your there you are there, there is no barn or house or anything to do, nowhere to sit and nowhere to rest. Eventually I am going to build a small villa where I can stay the night or weekend. I wouldn't mind camping out there but I hate the sounds of nature especially at night.
Get ya a decent trailer to park out there with an awning. Bring food and fuel with you. Put in an awning. Enjoy weekends with fishing, guns, and camp fires.

You can get a noise maker to make urban sounds if you want to help you sleep.

ETA, an r44 would fix your travel time issue.........

donlapalma
04-06-16, 22:55
I heard a saying one time that I like to use (usually when I EFF something up at work): "I reserve the right to get smarter". This is basically a reminder to myself that I'm constantly learning and evolving. While I may think I'm good with, or at, something, good old Murphy comes along and reminds me that things are always in a state of flux. I suppose this applies to my gear and firearms choices as well. I might be "100% content" at a point in time, but as long as company's innovate and I push myself to learn more about shooting and firearms...I know I'm going to evolve.

JulyAZ
04-06-16, 22:59
The beautiful thing about ARs is that you never have to be content. It is so easy to change things the guns you love today could be changed into something better tomorrow, AR can evolve that's why they're great.

TacticalSledgehammer
04-07-16, 11:05
I'm 99% content with my Colt and its setup, although I'll probably slap an optic on of some kind in the future. I'm not sure how well I'll be content with this 14.5" BCM upper/spikes lower I'm building but time will tell.

friendlyfireisnt
04-07-16, 11:36
For me, I'm sometimes content, but not really. Depends on the carbine.

14.5" BCM lightweight, centurion C4 rail, Leupold VX-R patrol 1.25-4x. I'm content with it.
10.3" BA .300blk with ALG EMR and Aimpoint. I'm happy.
16" Rainier Arms lightweight, just needs a new optic and a light, then I'll be content.
11.5" BCM BFH with Aimpoint Pro. Just needs a new rail and I will be content.
16" BCM with DD omega. Kinda a kiss setup. Not really satisfied to be honest. Don't know why.
16" Larue Stealth. Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x. Not really happy. Accuracy isn't what I was hoping for, needs a new barrel.

Next up will likely be a 12.5" or a 7.5" .300blk.

misfit47
04-07-16, 12:07
I actually just got into one that has about all I want. Traded for a dd m4a1. Has flip sights. Have a sf 952v along with an armasight sirius gen 2 id MG monocular. Only other things I'm getting are an aimpoint pro and a 22lr conversion kit.

ScottsBad
04-07-16, 12:45
I'm never 100% satisfied, but its because of my obsession with reliability and good quality. I have a bunch of "sport rifles" and I have endeavored to build each of them as a "go to" rifle. Consequently, I have spent way too much on them, but each of them run like scalded dogs. I spent quite a bit of time with buffers and buffer springs so they can run any ammo I keep. I shoot each one enough to know how they behave with different ammunition and when they are hot or dirty. I have high quality BCGs in each too.

Then there is the "new thing" that comes out or my thinking changes about what I want.

I will confess that I don't shoot enough, but I think very few of us do. I shoot maybe 300-500 rounds a month, and probably only get to the range 1-2 times a month now. I also have not had enough training. I've been a shooter since I was like 6, and I went through the safety courses, but I've not received any self defense carbine training.

It is tough in California these days too, out of three ranges within a 30 minute drive two have closed. One of them was permanently closed (Libtards and MoveOn.org did it) the other was closed because of whining that someone found a couple of bullets on the grounds of a Church half mile or so away on the other side of a big hill. Crappy neighborhood there are probably bullets all over if anyone checked. So it may never open. We're getting out of Commiefornia in 3-4 years.

Anyway, I've been wanting to get the lights nailed down. I want to outfit two or four rifles with lights but I don't want to spend $300 per rifle for quality lights which will seldom get used, but I hate funky stuff that might fail.

I also tend to change rails when something truly useful or better comes along, and then I move the old rails to the less "favored" rifles, and the left over stuff gets sold. KMRs, NSR, an old DD Lite rail on a precision build, I have one old Apex Machine on a BCM BFH LW 14.5" that I don't want to change because the rifle is freakishly accurate and I'm afraid its mojo will be lost if I change the barrel nut.

I believe in "buy once, cry once" optics. Mine are mostly all Aimpoint and Trijicon on the sport rifles. The last optic I bought was an MRO a few months ago because I was wondering what all the negative stink was about. The MRO is pretty damn good and all the negative talk was just that. Bunch of TV staring internet ninjas.

BTW I can relate to the problems with boats too, I've got a wake board boat and we have a family houseboat. OMG, they are a true pain in the butt. Don't ever be tempted to buy a boat, RENT instead. I'm thinking of getting rid of them, but the kids would squawk. Boat = "Break out another thousand" as someone said. Same thing with firearms except its usually in the hundreds. Although I could probably buy another boat for what I have invested in firearms and ammunition...

Maybe I should get rid of some firearms, Hmmm, I shoot the sport rifles, but I could trim the herd. And some of the other stuff I haven't shot in 30 years or more.

Its just an addicting hobby that's what it is... Do I need all the stuff I have? Heck NO. Do I need to keep upgrading? Heck NO. Will I stop? Well, at least I'm slowing and not adding complete new builds. Should I sell? Probably. Will I? Arrrgh, I don't.....think...so.

henschman
04-07-16, 15:22
For a while it seemed like I was constantly changing things out and buying/building and selling rifles and parts. Really it was all part of the process of finding out what works best for me and the roles I have for my rifles.

Now that I've pretty well settled on how I like all my rifles set up, and am nearly done upgrading all my ARs to that standard, I plan on more or less leaving them alone; other than possibly upgrading the magnified optics on a couple. In fact I plan to quit buying guns for a while now that I have pretty much have every conceivable role covered, and everything set up the way I want it. I'm sure as I continue to train I'll pick up a better way of doing things or setting up gear for a particular mission here and there, and advances in gear will bring something I can't live without to market, but I don't think I'll change the fundamental setup of my go-to ARs much if any in the coming several years.

Firefly
04-07-16, 16:10
That sucks Scott.
I don't go to hippie communes handing out soap, slim jims, and job applications

Why they gotta harsh on gun ranges?

sgtrock82
04-07-16, 16:24
I have 2 that im pretty satisfied with, though im sure lighting options and foward sling mount points will evolve. One is a bit of a safe queen and the other takes the beatings, is half kryloned and usually the test bed for any new ideas/items.

I do however keep thinking about building one more. My ARs started as uppers with FSBs, which were then were cut down and railed. But I always had the upper assembled into a working rifle while other parts rolled in and I had plenty fun with them in theirlight weight, iron sighted, polymer handguarded glory. I think a KISS build is in order... and i mean KISS, iron sights and sling.

I also pine for an older SP1 which im sure will come in time, Im just waiting for a nicely used one. They all seem to be nearly unfired in original whatever color label box with all papers and blah blah blah.... just gimme a dammed a rifle not a smithsonian display. I already got plenty of that stuff.

Hart
04-07-16, 16:25
Discontented rifle owners rifle owners tend to make a lot of good psrts available on the EE.

About the boat analogy thing, a buddy of mine dad told me once, if it floats, flies or f@#&$, don't buy it, rent it.

_Stormin_
04-07-16, 18:31
I wouldn't mind camping out there but I hate the sounds of nature especially at night. I might be the only guy here with the opinion, but I absolutely HATE camping. In my not so humble opinion, one of mans greatest triumphs is getting the hell away from having to spend the night in a tent. Give me a nice hotel any day, heck I'll pay for rooms for the family. I can RV it, but that's about as far as I'll go.

I'm never satisfied, but thankfully I'm at a point in life where that means that I build another rifle rather than change the one that I have "complete." Usually if I want to change a rifle that I've finished, it means breaking out the Aervoe.

Koshinn
04-07-16, 18:34
Discontented rifle owners rifle owners tend to make a lot of good psrts available on the EE.

About the boat analogy thing, a buddy of mine dad told me once, if it floats, flies or f@#&$, don't buy it, rent it.

Where can you rent and take home firearms?

Jellybean
04-07-16, 20:01
.... Eventually I am going to build a small villa where I can stay the night or weekend. I wouldn't mind camping out there but I hate the sounds of nature especially at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge4oufdIOMc
:p

Am I satisfied?
Well, I still want a suppressed SBR and NODS. Because what the hell, 'Merica! and shit. And it would be fun to go zero-dark-thirty on some wild hogs someday. :cool:

In all fairness, I played the "I gotta do this that and the other thing with my AR" game too. Two things saved me from spend exorbitant amounts of money on nothing;
1) A super hardcore budget. All the cool toys online are great until you realize that you can't afford them. Pair that with an utter refusal to spend another cent on junk, and it get's real quick- "ok, so what do I *really* need to get my AR to it's maximum effective potential for my use?" Ironically, the oft repeated M4C mantra of "sight light mags ammo sling" was right on....

2) Shooting the gun, and branching out into other variations of the "tactical" scene.
Can you hit the target, yes or no?
If the accessory doesn't help you do that better, you probably don't need it. And of course the white elephant in the room being guns are for shooting bad guys, period full stop end of story. After that sinks in, all the other 50,000 variation of parts gets boring and a bit.... cheesy, real fast. You literally stop looking at something and going "ooh that's cool, I want one" to "so.... what does it do better than what I already have?"

Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying things don't improve with technology, manufacturing and design.
For example, I thought about re-profiling my rifle a bit to shave some weight. After comparing parts and weights it turns out I'd have spent approx. $500 to save about 5 ounces. The money to weight saved ratio wasn't any better than what I already had, so I bought some ammo and other gear and moved on.

The other thing is setting a VERY specific goal with what you want, and VERY specific limits to where it ends. Once you get there, STOP no matter whether you *think* you need to try something else, or some new whiz-bang gadget appears on the market the next day after you felt you achieved AR-nirvana. Go shoot the gun some more, re-run every reason for everything you've got on it through your head again, check for actual faults not perceived ones, if it still checks out 6 months later, congratulations- you just saved a pile of money you can now spend on other things. If not, then at that point you will likely know what needs to be fixed and can spend smart on exactly what you need.

....I will sit with the TV on and lay out 5-6 AR's ...... I don't actually get to get out and shoot much, I don't like going to the range....
Perhaps.... this just isn't your thing?

WS6
04-07-16, 20:30
When it comes to your AR's, are you content with what you have? Are you 100% dedicated to the accessories like sights, optics, grips, rails, stocks as in if you had to keep your gun in its current configuration for the remainder of your life, would you be content and satisfied?

I go through phases, its like my mind changes almost weekly, "what about this, what about that". I find myself doing this like every other couple of nights, maybe its because I stay up late and I'm bored but I will sit with the TV on and lay out 5-6 AR's and just swap out parts for hours until I feel like I have a winner. I try to limit myself and limit my options by putting things like sights, stocks, rails and such on PIF and even selling a few of my guns but the mentality never escapes me. I don't actually get to get out and shoot much, I don't like going to the range and our land is a couple hours a way, and there is nothing to do there. Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone else deals with these things.

I've been playing with a lot of stuff, but I've slowly gotten things squared away. I'm still lacking the "gun", as it were, but I have the accessories picked and purchased and T&E'ed on my DDM4 beater rifle.

Kahles K16i in a Bobro
Surefire M600U in a Kinetic MLOK mount
Vltor A5 and sprinco springs throughout the BCG and in the buffer tube
MBUS PRO
Surefire SOCOM Mini
Surefire closed-tine Warcomp (should arrive in my mail-box at the end of next month when they finish that batch).

Still waiting on Hodge Defense MOD 2, 14.5".

elephant
04-07-16, 22:32
Have any of you seen Troop Beverly Hills? That scene where the Wilderness Girls troop took limos and U Haul trucks to there campsite and were later telling ghost stories and eating fondue al fresco and then it started to rain and they ended up in a suite in the Beverly Hills Hotel and thought they were "roughing it" because they had to sleep on the floor. That's me. I'm drawing a circle around my face with my index finger right now saying "this guy right here isn't going to be pitching a tent and sleeping with rattle snakes and brown recluses and bob cats", no thanks. Camping makes me envy people on house arrest.

Firefly
04-07-16, 22:50
I saw Troop Beverly Hills in theatres.

God I'm getting old.

But camping with a rifle and a fire is chicken soup for the soul

1911-A1
04-08-16, 01:16
It took me a LONG time to get to the point where I don't feel the need to tinker or add stuff or buy more uppers/lowers/etc. I have a few solid ARs, a few 16", one an SBR, and I'm at the point where I'm perfectly happy with them.

Jpoe88
04-08-16, 06:25
I have 2 that im pretty satisfied with, though im sure lighting options and foward sling mount points will evolve. One is a bit of a safe queen and the other takes the beatings, is half kryloned and usually the test bed for any new ideas/items.

I do however keep thinking about building one more. My ARs started as uppers with FSBs, which were then were cut down and railed. But I always had the upper assembled into a working rifle while other parts rolled in and I had plenty fun with them in theirlight weight, iron sighted, polymer handguarded glory. I think a KISS build is in order... and i mean KISS, iron sights and sling.

I also pine for an older SP1 which im sure will come in time, Im just waiting for a nicely used one. They all seem to be nearly unfired in original whatever color label box with all papers and blah blah blah.... just gimme a dammed a rifle not a smithsonian display. I already got plenty of that stuff.

Theres an A2 upper in the EE btw. The build I have going on is exactly what youre talking about.

nml
04-08-16, 16:56
But I think most gun owners who have four $1500 AR15s would be so much happier if they simply bought one quality rifle and used the hell out of it.Happier yes but wiser I am not sure? Odds are very very low that you will need a rifle stateside and yes odds of a failure are very very low but I'd rather turn to a M4 with 2000 on the barrel and bolt and a fresh hammer and action spring. THat's what I tell the credit cards anyhow.

uffdaphil
04-08-16, 17:29
If I were an all in prepper I would buy all the 6920s I could afford. Not much fun there. If I were 100% convinced that SHTF was a fool's fantasy I would have one full size and one SBR for fun and defense with sweet thermal and top tier glass. Since I'm 50% convinced I will live long enough to experience widespread lawlessness in one form or another, I keep enough to outfit me, five sibs, and the in-laws. No Knights or S&B, but very good BCM and Trijicon level quality.

If I could talk more family into getting at least one, I would definitely cut back.

misfit47
04-08-16, 17:36
Ok so I lied. I'm trying different sling positions.

ScottsBad
04-08-16, 17:37
That sucks Scott.
I don't go to hippie communes handing out soap, slim jims, and job applications

Why they gotta harsh on gun ranges?

I don't know, but CA is a terrible place to be sports shooting enthusiast, or even a self defense gun owner.

They are trying to ban all semi-autos right now, and they are trying to force us to get a $50 registration card to buy ammo, while outlawing online purchases, and bringing ammo across the border.

All of our firearms purchases have to be registered now. Pray for us...

ScottsBad
04-08-16, 18:05
Have any of you seen Troop Beverly Hills? That scene where the Wilderness Girls troop took limos and U Haul trucks to there campsite and were later telling ghost stories and eating fondue al fresco and then it started to rain and they ended up in a suite in the Beverly Hills Hotel and thought they were "roughing it" because they had to sleep on the floor. That's me. I'm drawing a circle around my face with my index finger right now saying "this guy right here isn't going to be pitching a tent and sleeping with rattle snakes and brown recluses and bob cats", no thanks. Camping makes me envy people on house arrest.

I'm thinking a big "L" on your forehead.
.............................Forgive me Mods I couldn't help it.

ScottsBad
04-08-16, 18:11
If you want to collect all different types of guns that's a separate issue. But I think most gun owners who have four $1500 AR15s would be so much happier if they simply bought one quality rifle and used the hell out of it.

Nope, not happy until I can arm the entire neighborhood.:dance3:

misfit47
04-08-16, 18:16
Nope, not happy until I can arm the entire neighborhood.:dance3:
I have no interest in arming the neighborhood. Shame on them for not being able to defend themselves.

w3453l
04-08-16, 20:40
I don't know, but CA is a terrible place to be sports shooting enthusiast, or even a self defense gun owner.

They are trying to ban all semi-autos right now, and they are trying to force us to get a $50 registration card to buy ammo, while outlawing online purchases, and bringing ammo across the border.

All of our firearms purchases have to be registered now. Pray for us...

This.

Living in CA the threat of a ban is very real, and every new year feels like like its the last year to get what you want or need. The recent handgun and magazine kit bans are proof to this. And by handgun ban I mean the end of Single Shot Exemption. We used to still be able to buy any handgun we wanted, although at way higher mark ups compared to every other state. Now we're limited to whatever mostly outdated hand guns are still on CA's safe list.

Yes I know that technically you can still build your own 1911 or AR pistol from 80% receivers, and that's great and all for hobbyists. But I want to be able to buy a gen 4 Glock for the normal $500 - $550 price. I'm not going to pay $1000 + for some guys gen 4 with "only 500 rounds thru it".

This makes being content a little different. Yes you can be content with what you have, but you can bet your last dollar that odds are you wont be able to buy that SCAR or Aug etc. in a couple years.

There's always something new I'd want, but everytime I get that urge to buy something new I step back and just think: if tomorrow everything gun related were cut off from supply, would I have what I need? Am I happy with all the mags, ammo, spare parts that I have right now? If not, I just either save the money altogether or buy another case of ammo.

I would really like to get into the .308 semi auto game, and I really want an MWS. But before I put any money down on that I want to make sure I have everything else squared away.

elephant
04-08-16, 23:32
Living in CA the threat of a ban is very real, and every new year feels like like its the last year to get what you want or need. The recent handgun and magazine kit bans are proof to this. And by handgun ban I mean the end of Single Shot Exemption. We used to still be able to buy any handgun we wanted, although at way higher mark ups compared to every other state. Now we're limited to whatever mostly outdated hand guns are still on CA's safe list. .

I thought you were exaggerating but I went to this http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns.asp and found that all of the "approved safe hand guns" will expire at the first of every year unless the manufactures re-submit a new firearm to be examined and pay a huge testing fee. Unless they summit a sample and pay the fee, there product will not be allowed on the roster. I read on another page that Glock, HK, Sig and Berretta would not be submitting any handguns for re-examination in the future because they feel there product meets and exceeds any safety test.

Ive been reading the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms page and I am disgusted with the mentality.

"If you believe there is a discrepancy in your eligibility to own/possess firearms, you can obtain a copy of your California record by completing the Request for Live Scan (BOF 8016RR) form located on the Department’s website: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/forms. You should review the record, identify any incomplete or missing court information, and then follow up with the court where your case was held and request the court submit corrected information to the DOJ's Bureau of Criminal Information and Analysis (BCIA).You may wish to obtain an attorney for legal advice and who can best represent your interests on how to restore your rights to buy firearms."[/COLOR]

Why are "We" required to identify any incomplete or missing court information- that is your job and what we elect and pay you to do- you seriously had 1 job to do!
If you have to hire legal counsel to restore your rights, you had no rights to begin with.

This is BS: http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/pdf/firearms-fees.pdf?
$65 in fees to sell or transfer a firearm? RAPE!!!!!!!

It sounds like California is very well on the way and with a good head start to banning all forms of firearms except to -under Penal Code section 26815, all law enforcement, paid government officials and retired law enforcement and off duty police who are exempted from the 10 day waiting period and non-roster firearms and or high capacity detachable magazines- that sounds constitutional and fair, doesn't it?

Wow, California is a role model society for respecting you constitutional rights.. Lets hear it for California.
3 Cheers for California: Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray......Fooooooooor he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow.....

jerrysimons
04-09-16, 01:12
Helicopter?

BRD and contentment can be at odds but I think one has to look at the source of their discontentment. A person filling spiritual, relational, psychological needs with material obsessions is bound for dissatisfaction (not saying this is you). I think one can be a gear junky with an inherent itch to fiddle with things without falling into the trap of despair overall. Now tinkering with gear is use informed whether from your own experience or assuming someone else's and that as such the stuff you use the most is the the stuff you typically form an attachment to and from there form a preferential satisfaction.

I have some high end stuff that I am proud of but seriously I have this odd attachment to my "beater" rifle (Sionics patrol zero upper w/ MOE SL handguard, LMT fixed rear sight, Aimpoint Pro on a spare parts build Aero lower) because it gets a lot of use. Other guns of mine don't see as much use (so many guns so little time!) but I like the idea of them even if they are seldomly shot or I do not have the experience to use them to their potential (percision builds). This doesn't mean they not open to tinkering but the main thing is the more I use a gun the more I am satisfied with it since I usually thought the build out a head of time or I figure out if I don't like something about the set up.

WS6
04-09-16, 02:31
Helicopter?

BRD and contentment can be at odds but I think one has to look at the source of their discontentment. A person filling spiritual, relational, psychological needs with material obsessions is bound for dissatisfaction (not saying this is you). I think one can be a gear junky with an inherent itch to fiddle with things without falling into the trap of despair overall. Now tinkering with gear is use informed whether from your own experience or assuming someone else's and that as such the stuff you use the most is the the stuff you typically form an attachment to and from there form a preferential satisfaction.

I have some high end stuff that I am proud of but seriously I have this odd attachment to my "beater" rifle (Sionics patrol zero upper w/ MOE SL handguard, LMT fixed rear sight, Aimpoint Pro on a spare parts build Aero lower) because it gets a lot of use. Other guns of mine don't see as much use (so many guns so little time!) but I like the idea of them even if they are seldomly shot or I do not have the experience to use them to their potential (percision builds). This doesn't mean they not open to tinkering but the main thing is the more I use a gun the more I am satisfied with it since I usually thought the build out a head of time or I figure out if I don't like something about the set up.

I have a friend who is into Rolex. All through college, he couldn't wait to buy one. Well, he did. Finally. Then he traded it for another. Then he missed it. Then...see? He isn't content now. Now he wants a whole collection of them...but he's not content. He has placed value on material thay material cannot live up to.

Now, as to my rifle(s). I have to put thousands of rounds through a configuration to be sure of it. I have tweaked and tuned things a lot. All of this T&E is going to be consolidated in my hodge defense mod 2. I have not added a firearm to my collection in years. The mod 2 is the "clean slate " I'm going to fill with the cumulative knowledge I've gained working on my other gear. It's fun. It's a project. But it won't make me happy...living life in a balanced way, will! And in turn...I am content with it, and the rest of life, as well.

Pilot1
04-09-16, 06:55
Yes I am 100% content. My stock Colt M4/LE6920 Magpul FDE shoots sub MOA bench rested. It has never choked on anything, and the ADM Recon mount with SWFA HD 1 - 4 scope works well on it.

jerrysimons
04-09-16, 07:01
https://youtu.be/G5CBuyx1whw

jerrysimons
04-09-16, 07:52
I have a friend who is into Rolex. All through college, he couldn't wait to buy one. Well, he did. Finally. Then he traded it for another. Then he missed it. Then...see? He isn't content now. Now he wants a whole collection of them...but he's not content. He has placed value on material thay material cannot live up to.

Now, as to my rifle(s). I have to put thousands of rounds through a configuration to be sure of it. I have tweaked and tuned things a lot. All of this T&E is going to be consolidated in my hodge defense mod 2. I have not added a firearm to my collection in years. The mod 2 is the "clean slate " I'm going to fill with the cumulative knowledge I've gained working on my other gear. It's fun. It's a project. But it won't make me happy...living life in a balanced way, will! And in turn...I am content with it, and the rest of life, as well.

Good way to do. At this point I already have more than enough yet I would spring for an AU Mod 2 nevertheless. It would sport the kit off my go-to Gen 2 Noveske light recce and rock and roll. But...
https://i.imgflip.com/1281ui.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/1281ui)via Imgflip Meme Maker (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

wesr228
04-09-16, 07:54
I'm happy with what I have, and could keep things the way they are. However, in a couple of builds I would like to change things over time. This is just being based in a place that doesn't offer many options in the big box or window stores. So I have a couple of handrails that I'm not a huge fan of. I don't hate them, but they're aren't my favorite, and there's no way I would have known this until I got them in hand and ran them. Also, I got a Bobro mount, and for whatever reason, they can't pump these things out fast enough, because they're hard to find. So I went with a dual lever Bobro, again sight unseen, just to realize, "holy cow the things as wide as a bus and weighs half of one."

So yea, I would like to change a few things out, but I've learned a lot in the process and while not done, I could say I'm content. Would I like to have a KAC? Maybe one day, but I'm not in a hurry. I also toy around with a 6720 KISS build, but there's always more ammo to buy or other life events going on. I shoot as much as I can, but I travel for work and have other hobbies like fishing, and CAMPING, so limited as are we all.

Content? Yes I have some nice guns (to me) that I didn't cheap out on. Finished? Not yet. Progress, not perfection.

Alex V
04-09-16, 09:11
Other than really wanting to have an SBR and not being able to because I live in a Nazi shit hole of a state, I'm pretty content with the setup I have.

My main training/HD carbine is a PredatAR, I changed some things when I noticed that they were not working as well as I had hoped. Went from the LaRue grip that came with it to a BCM grip. Hated that stupid LaRue one. Noticed that the weapons light was getting too much muzzle blast, so I got the SBR mount to move it back and still not interfere with the support hand. Seems like it's just to my liking now several classes since and have not wanted to change anything.

Might want to try a 1-4 or 1-6 instead of the AimPoint, but that's a lot of money to shell out for a test so I'll just stick with the way I have it.

WS6
04-09-16, 09:28
Good way to do. At this point I already have more than enough yet I would spring for an AU Mod 2 nevertheless. It would sport the kit off my go-to Gen 2 Noveske light recce and rock and roll. But...
https://i.imgflip.com/1281ui.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/1281ui)via Imgflip Meme Maker (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

It's coming. Sooner rather than later.

WS6
04-09-16, 09:30
I'm happy with what I have, and could keep things the way they are. However, in a couple of builds I would like to change things over time. This is just being based in a place that doesn't offer many options in the big box or window stores. So I have a couple of handrails that I'm not a huge fan of. I don't hate them, but they're aren't my favorite, and there's no way I would have known this until I got them in hand and ran them. Also, I got a Bobro mount, and for whatever reason, they can't pump these things out fast enough, because they're hard to find. So I went with a dual lever Bobro, again sight unseen, just to realize, "holy cow the things as wide as a bus and weighs half of one."

So yea, I would like to change a few things out, but I've learned a lot in the process and while not done, I could say I'm content. Would I like to have a KAC? Maybe one day, but I'm not in a hurry. I also toy around with a 6720 KISS build, but there's always more ammo to buy or other life events going on. I shoot as much as I can, but I travel for work and have other hobbies like fishing, and CAMPING, so limited as are we all.

Content? Yes I have some nice guns (to me) that I didn't cheap out on. Finished? Not yet. Progress, not perfection.

Bobro really isn't much wider than any of the others (what, 3/16" wider at the widest? Check your LaRue and ADM's...) However, the dual lever is heavy. My single lever is 7.5oz , and works fine, though, and I have the lever on the right side so it doesn't bother me at all. You can use a single lever up to 30oz optic weight on a .308. Per Andrew.

556BlackRifle
04-09-16, 10:02
With me it varies. In some cases I feel fairly content because the overall concept of the build is inline with my current needs, wants and desires. But since my needs, wants and desires are constantly evolving, I'd have to say that I can't ever see myself being 100% content. There will always be something different that piques my interest.

Dienekes
04-09-16, 11:51
I'm in the "less is more" camp--except when it comes to ammo. And it's remarkable how much you can get done with a C press over a Wyoming winter.

A basic quality, light barrelled AR carbine, an eye-relief friendly ACOG, good aftermarket trigger, and one with a light suffices for me. I have a 300 yard range 5 minutes away on the ATV. An "E" target and gong live there to taunt me, and we do battle about twice a week. I like to think that I'm getting a bit better over time. Sometimes I think about building another AR, but other than the doing of it, can't imagine what I'd do with one more...

A 15-22 is fun and useful, paid for itself long ago...

Wyoming is what America was--and thank God for it.

wesr228
04-09-16, 20:58
Bobro really isn't much wider than any of the others (what, 3/16" wider at the widest? Check your LaRue and ADM's...) However, the dual lever is heavy. My single lever is 7.5oz , and works fine, though, and I have the lever on the right side so it doesn't bother me at all. You can use a single lever up to 30oz optic weight on a .308. Per Andrew.

Okay so I measured, and then took pictures but got lazy with trying to post them. It's not too much wider at the base, but still wider then I guess I was use too. It's a fantastic mount though. And I knew that the single lever was good to go for 5.56, but man I couldn't find one, so went ahead and got the dual lever just to get one and try it out. It'll probably go to an EE once the next batch of single levers are released.

ETA: So this is what I mean by content, but not finished. It isn't that I'm always changing just to change, but that I wasn't able to see a product in hand or at the range, and got something. It works great and it's a fine piece of equipment, but it isn't exactly what I wanted. However, for now it's close enough, and I'm happy I have it compared to something else I might have felt was more of a compromise.

The_War_Wagon
04-09-16, 22:10

After 8 years of gear experimentation and carbine courses, yes: I am. Been satisfied for 5 years. Probably why even my dedicated .22LR trainer even looks like my 5.56 rifles.

Spin Drift
04-09-16, 23:00
I've really thinned the herd, quality v. quantity.

ARs have changed so much in the last 25+years, trends come, trends go.

Some sort of optics is pretty much normal today, not the case 30 years ago.

A couple of KAC rifles, that's it. One gets used often, the other one is a safe queen.

Price of ammo is now a consideration, never was before.

Very happy.

zackmars
04-10-16, 17:00
I am about 75% happy with my main rifle as-is, still need a RDS and light though

OTOH, there are so many different parts out there that i just can't afford to try them all out. As another user said, "you don't know what you don't know".

dbain99
04-10-16, 19:07
I'd say I'm in the 90% satisfied range. My ARs are fine the way they are now but minor changes are on the horizon as funds allow.
I want to upgrade the optics on one.
SBR and Ace SOCOM stock on another.
Flashlight upgrade on another.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

veeklog
04-10-16, 22:01
I am very content with a vast majority of my AR's; however, there are some things I want to finish building like my MK18 CQBR and C8 clone. Right now I am trying to buy as many magazines as I can since they are pretty cheap right now. Not just AR, but AK, Mini-14, MP-5, CZ Skorpion, G-3, and P226 magazines.

jhs1969
04-11-16, 16:32
KAC SR-15 = Satisfaction