PDA

View Full Version : Whatsapp goes encrypted

yoni
04-06-16, 08:30
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35969739

Whatsapp has gone to end to end encryption .

I think this is great and a natural marketplace reaction to government over reach into the privacy of honest people.

Eurodriver
04-06-16, 09:27
I was using whatsapp yesterday and I got a notification in my my message stream that it was encrypted.

Now it won't matter whether or not the Feds can crack into your phone or not.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-06-16, 10:11
Still worries me that they are owned by Facebook.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-06-16, 10:15
Is this through the use of encryption that uses prime numbers or some other means? How hard is it to break a message when you know 20% of it is "Allahu Akbar"?

Koshinn
04-06-16, 10:33
Is this through the use of encryption that uses prime numbers or some other means? How hard is it to break a message when you know 20% of it is "Allahu Akbar"?

Knowing part of the unencrypted text doesn't make modern encryption any easier to break.

TAZ
04-06-16, 12:00
What kind of encryption are they using and who has the algorithm? Sorry, but not a thing about Facebook makes me feel secure.

Koshinn
04-06-16, 13:00
What kind of encryption are they using and who has the algorithm? Sorry, but not a thing about Facebook makes me feel secure.

https://www.whatsapp.com/security/WhatsApp-Security-Whitepaper.pdf

Public key encryption and transmitted via AES-256. Pretty much an industry best-practice.

Everyone has the algorithm. According to their whitepaper, only users have their own private keys.

Eurodriver
04-06-16, 14:09
Yeah, the key here is that even Whatsapp can't crack your text.

Kinda makes one want to test it out. If you write something crazy and the feds show up you'll know they are FOS.

Outlander Systems
04-06-16, 17:15
Or dick pics are intercepted, and suddenly, hot twenty-something babes start beating down the door.

Yeah, the key here is that even Whatsapp can't crack your text.

Kinda makes one want to test it out. If you write something crazy and the feds show up you'll know they are FOS.

tb-av
04-06-16, 19:40
Now it won't matter whether or not the Feds can crack into your phone or not.

How do you figure that? If they have access to your phone, they your text, right?

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-06-16, 22:08
Knowing part of the unencrypted text doesn't make modern encryption any easier to break.

Sorry, watched "Zodiac" last week on TV.

How do you figure that? If they have access to your phone, they your text, right?

I figure that a keystroke recorder, or a bug that changes the 'tap' sound per key so that a mic can pick up what you are typing. They can re-create what a 3D printer is making, just listening to the servos and knowing what sound correlate with what kind of movement.