PDA

View Full Version : Noob suppressor questions???

Kenneth
04-06-16, 14:58
Ok I am wanting to step into the suppressor market before the law changes. I have procrastinated long enough.

What I want to know is there a can that is truly universal? I'm looking from .308 to 9mm and everything in between. Mainly 6.5 creedmoor, 5.56, 9mm, and 45 acp. I would also like good QD mount options with muzzle break attachment.

Rifles will be a 6.5 creed bolt action, AR15, scorpion Evo (future), and handguns.

Is there a can that is capable of doing all of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

punkey71
04-06-16, 15:17
This should hit all of it.

http://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=403

domestique
04-06-16, 15:18
Yes. Silencerco Hybrid.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/hybrid/

A lot of compromises, master of none.

IMHO, you would be better served getting 2-3 cans

1. 22lr suppressor: Dead Air Mask, SiCo Spectre ii, etc.
2. Configurable pistol suppressor: Dead Air Ghost, Griffin 45, Silencerco 45K
3. Configurable rifle suppressor: SiCo Omega, Dead Air Sandman, Griffin Optimus, SiCo Saker

Kenneth
04-06-16, 15:31
Is the hybrid out yet? Can it be shortened? I saw that rugged maybe had a can that you could shorten or add length depending on what caliber you were shooting.

Tzook
04-06-16, 15:36
The griffin Optimus is also worth a look, supposed to be a pretty great can.

Kenneth
04-06-16, 15:37
Also I should qualify for a LE/First responder program. I know silencerco has one in place but haven't looked into it much. Don't know if it is worth anything. I'm also in Texas.

Kenneth
04-06-16, 19:38
Also anyone that has a CZ scorpion SBR'd? Do you buy it as a pistol and then add the stock kit or can you get it from CZ as an SBR? Do they engrave it or how does it work.

domestique
04-06-16, 19:42
Also anyone that has a CZ scorpion SBR'd? Do you buy it as a pistol and then add the stock kit or can you get it from CZ as an SBR? Do they engrave it or how does it work.

The easiest would be to buy the pistol, SBR and then add the stock. They don't sell factory SBRs, but they do sell a carbine version. The problem with the carbine version is you would have to cut the barrel and re-thread.

Good luck finding one. They are mostly sold out until the Gen 2 gets imported in a could months.

Auto-X Fil
04-06-16, 19:45
Not so fast - the Scorpion is imported so it needs US-made parts to be 922(r) compliant, in addition to the regular NFA rules. CZ has a kit (usually unavailable) for $200 with a stock and enough other domestic parts to do the conversion.

Kenneth
04-06-16, 19:45
The easiest would be to buy the pistol, SBR and then add the stock. They don't sell factory SBRs, but they do sell a carbine version. The problem with the carbine version is you would have to cut the barrel and re-thread.

Good luck finding one. They are mostly sold out until the Gen 2 gets imported in a could months.

Yea I was just going to order from CZ and start the paper work. I'm gonna be waiting for months anyway.

Auto-X Fil
04-06-16, 19:49
And on-topic: getting a Hybrid makes a ton of sense. The Omega takes the same end caps and mounts, so if you end up wanting a dedicated rifle can, you can share all those accessories.

Rimfire needs a different can. You could get a pistol/rim fire hybrid like a Mystic X, but a dedicated 22 can is more logical, especially since a really good one from Dead Air or SilencerCo is $400. A pistol can is closer in size and weight to a rifle can than it is to a rimfire setup.

Kenneth
04-06-16, 19:53
I'm not really looking for a .22 can. When I do that I'll get a dedicated can. Really just for 9mm, 5.56, and 6.5 CM.

domestique
04-06-16, 19:59
Not so fast - the Scorpion is imported so it needs US-made parts to be 922(r) compliant, in addition to the regular NFA rules. CZ has a kit (usually unavailable) for $200 with a stock and enough other domestic parts to do the conversion.

The stock comes in the kit...... using the 992r parts to be compliant was inferred.

OP, if only 9mm, 5.56 and 6.5CM is want you want. The Griffin Optimus would certainly fit the bill.

punkey71
04-06-16, 20:14
I'm not really looking for a .22 can. When I do that I'll get a dedicated can. Really just for 9mm, 5.56, and 6.5 CM.

You listed 45ACP in your OP. If that's not needed then the Griffin Optimus works as well but I'm not sure of their availability. I've had friends try everything to get one and keep hitting brick walls.

Kenneth
04-06-16, 20:54
Ok I don't need 45 acp at this moment but a 1911 is in my future eventually :) or I could suppress my Hk45.

A5scott
04-06-16, 21:12
Since you are in Texas, check out Capitol Armory and silencershop, and I'm sure there are other great shops in TX so you don't need to worry about waiting on Form 3's.

scott

Springfield
04-06-16, 21:35
It may be worth considering getting both a .308 can for your rifles and a .45 can for your pistols. Anything that will work for all calibers will also be a compromise on all calibers. Pick out which one you want to get first and then order the second when funds allow. The new law will complicate buying suppressors but they will still be available for purchase.

A5scott
04-06-16, 21:45
I'd look at Griffin Armament revolution 9 and or 45, and look at the tri lug quickmount adapter.

Are you planning on SBR'ing any AR's? not all suppressors are good to go on SBR's.

Hybrid looks great for multiple calibers. Dead Air Sandman S looks good for 308 and SBR's. For 556, check out Saker K (ASR mount) and Specwar K.

for 22, Griffin Armament Checkmate QD, Dead Air Mask, Liberty Regulator.

let the fun begin lol

scott

Dist. Expert 26
04-06-16, 22:14
I think if you try to run one can across all your weapons you'll wind up sorely disappointed.

You listed 6.5 CM as one of your cartridges, which indicates to me that you have a precision rifle of some sort. No hybrid can is going to provide the level of precision and repeatability you need for that application. On the same token, you don't want the weight of a rifle suppressor on a handgun.

You don't paint your entire house with one size paintbrush. The same logic applies here.

Kenneth
04-06-16, 22:17
So it's pretty much a given that now I need 2 cans. Blah! So a .45 can that I can run on any pistol caliber and a .308 can for the 6.5 and a 5.56.

HCrum87hc
04-07-16, 11:38
So it's pretty much a given that now I need 2 cans. Blah! So a .45 can that I can run on any pistol caliber and a .308 can for the 6.5 and a 5.56.

This is pretty much where I currently stand. I have a SiCo Omega that mostly stays on my 300blk, but I will run it on my 5.56 on occasion. I'm currently shopping for a pistol suppressor, but I haven't decided on a model or caliber yet. I'm waffling between .45 and 9mm. I probably won't have the funds for a pistol can and a .22 can before the new "laws" go into effect, but I would like to add a .22 suppressor as well.

Auto-X Fil
04-07-16, 13:14
I don't suppress my pistols, or else I'd have a Hybrid or .45-cal dedicated pistol can.

I have an Omega that I rotate on a .308, 6.5 CM, AR-15s, and 300WSM.

On order is a Spectre II for rimfire use.

sandsunsurf
04-07-16, 23:51

Get the .30 cal rifle can first. Pistol cans end up being more of a novelty; they don't fit in holsters so they're just range toys. It's not like you can carry it on a hike for mountain lion or snake defense, you won't take it hunting, and even if you're thinking of using it for home defense, the space it takes up could probably be traded for an SBR w/ can. I shoot 100x more rifle rounds than pistol rounds suppressed. I'm actually thinking of a 9mm carbine to put my Octane on because it is so rare that it's useful on my Glocks.

For a .30 cal can, I still stand by the SDN-6 as a rugged, simple, smallish, light-enough and effective design. My buddy has an Omega and it seems tough enough so far, but I'm still leery of any rifle can that has threads on either end of the tube, let alone both. Chalk that up to another friend's bad experience with the threads of a Gem-tech G5....

domestique
04-08-16, 00:38
Get the .30 cal rifle can first. Pistol cans end up being more of a novelty; they don't fit in holsters so they're just range toys. It's not like you can carry it on a hike for mountain lion or snake defense, you won't take it hunting, and even if you're thinking of using it for home defense, the space it takes up could probably be traded for an SBR w/ can. I shoot 100x more rifle rounds than pistol rounds suppressed. I'm actually thinking of a 9mm carbine to put my Octane on because it is so rare that it's useful on my Glocks.

For a .30 cal can, I still stand by the SDN-6 as a rugged, simple, smallish, light-enough and effective design. My buddy has an Omega and it seems tough enough so far, but I'm still leery of any rifle can that has threads on either end of the tube, let alone both. Chalk that up to another friend's bad experience with the threads of a Gem-tech G5....

There are a couple holsters out there that work very well. LBT made a holster that fits the HK45CT for the Navy Seals. HK PRO did a group buy this year, and I picked one up. I also have a universal WML holster made by Blackhawk that takes all my fullsize pistols (with/without light) and suppressor. K suppressors work a lot better for draw stroke. You're not going to win any buzzer competitions, but for hog hunting/range use they are more than adequate.

ETA: Even with a full size Octane I have more than enough clearance (4+ inches) to kneel and not dig the suppressor into the dirt.

I totally agree that a 30 caliber can is a lot more useful, and then get a 22lr. or a stainless steel baffled pistol cam that cam shot 22lr. A lot of the modern pistol suppressors sound reasonably well, and give you a more authentic length and wait for people using 22 ARs, and pistols for training.

http://rs924.pbsrc.com/albums/ad85/mrsaturn7085b/LBT_holster_zps7q05vc0a.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

WS6
04-08-16, 09:33
The Dodge SRT-10 Truck is capable of towing, hauling, drag-racing, and handling corners.

It sucks at all of the above.

I agree with the other posters who say you should get multiple cans.

My advice would be:

SWR Spectre II for a .22 can
Surefire 556 SOCOM MINI for a 5.56 can
Surefire 300SPS for a .30 cal can
9mm TiRant for a pistol can.

That is also the order in which I would purchase them, although the .22 and 5.56 cans, I'd purchase together.

Failure2Stop
04-08-16, 10:42
The usual progression goes from a single suppressor that winds up being disappointing to having 2-3 .22LR suppressors, 2 5.56 suppressors, 1-2 7.62 suppressors, and 1 centerfire handgun suppressor that never gets used.
My advice is to get a decent .22 suppressor (don't get wrapped up in super light weight, they're all pretty light), a decent QD 5.56 suppressor (full sized, unless you're doing dedicated enclosure/vehicle work), and a nice 7.62 suppressor. Generally pass on the pistol can unless you can clearly articulate a need to yourself.

mkmckinley
04-08-16, 11:04
The usual progression goes from a single suppressor that winds up being disappointing to having 2-3 .22LR suppressors, 2 5.56 suppressors, 1-2 7.62 suppressors, and 1 centerfire handgun suppressor that never gets used.

Hot damn, it's as if you looked in my safe! Where were you 3 years ago?

backpacker
04-08-16, 14:32
The Dodge SRT-10 Truck is capable of towing, hauling, drag-racing, and handling corners.

It sucks at all of the above.

I agree with the other posters who say you should get multiple cans.

My advice would be:

SWR Spectre II for a .22 can
Surefire 556 SOCOM MINI for a 5.56 can
Surefire 300SPS for a .30 cal can
9mm TiRant for a pistol can.

That is also the order in which I would purchase them, although the .22 and 5.56 cans, I'd purchase together.

SO much of buying a can depends on what you're ACTUALLY using it for.
Are you mainly hunting? hiking/hunting? hunting from a blind? just going to the range for fun? indoor or outdoor range? Home defense? Zombie movie live in a delusional world like people on arfcom who think they need a surefire to make it through the day because an Omega will break on them?
What caliber are you using with what barrel length??

buying one 7.62 can is convenient, and like mentioned it is good at everything but not the best at everything.

Don't buy a mini can unless you're actually using it for LE or CQB work. They are louder and not really impressive to most people. They do what they are supposed to and they are great cans, but, not for people who don't understand what they are designed for.

I personally like lightweight, over the years I've started replacing my cans with the lightest possible. When mounting a can on an SBR the weight between 10oz and 17oz is noticeable.

Don't get carried away with durability (like arfcom), the world isn't ending and most of these modern cans will be fine for the average person.

Surefire I think is overpriced, they've come down now but they are overrated. SilencerCo and Gemtech make great products, and it seems like DearAir does too (i don't really have much experience with them though). Ive been more than happy with my AAC stuff (M4-2000 and SDN6), however some people complain about the latch and mount.

Personally I think the Gemtech TREK and TREK-T are amazing, I own both and love them, but I think those are kind of more specific cans like the minis and I would recommend getting a can with a QD mount first.

LOTS of info to be said and debated, maybe go on Youtube and watch all the videos from SilencerShop, they review lots of cans and give db rating numbers.

In the end though, my priorities would be weight. When I'm hopping out of a vehicle with a lighter can on an 11.5 SBR I'm much faster on target than with a heavier can on the end. Hiking and hunting with a rifle and can mounted gets heavy, and saving a few ounces on the can actually is noticeable. On a 556 they all sound quiet but loud, on 300 blk subs sound nice on all of them.

Sounds like for the OP though, you'd need some sort of griffin armament or modular can. This is supposedly good but I've never even held one. http://www.griffinarmament.com/OPTIMUS-SILENCER-p/gaopt.htm

Honestly you're better off getting like 3 cans if you can afford it. What you're trying to do will make all your setups lame. Because with one modular can you will have a HEAVY handgun can, and not the best can for all your hosts.

backpacker
04-08-16, 14:39
My advice is to get a decent .22 suppressor (don't get wrapped up in super light weight, they're all pretty light), a decent QD 5.56 suppressor (full sized, unless you're doing dedicated enclosure/vehicle work), and a nice 7.62 suppressor. Generally pass on the pistol can unless you can clearly articulate a need to yourself.

+1, ^THIS is spot on.

GrahamKAC
04-09-16, 19:08

That's about the order I went in also. If I'm being honest, I probably wouldn't own a pistol can if it wasn't for an SBR Scorpion Evo. Picked up a threaded barrel for my G17 and think I've used it less than three times in the last six months. Gets attached to a pistol for those who have never shot a suppressed handgun before, otherwise, it pretty much lives on the evo.

Kenneth
04-09-16, 19:39
That's about the order I went in also. If I'm being honest, I probably wouldn't own a pistol can if it wasn't for an SBR Scorpion Evo. Picked up a threaded barrel for my G17 and think I've used it less than three times in the last six months. Gets attached to a pistol for those who have never shot a suppressed handgun before, otherwise, it pretty much lives on the evo.

The only reason I'm getting a pistol can is the scorpion Evo sbr. I just wanted the capability of other calipers later on. Well got an octane 45HD on hold. Now I have to complete my trust and send off the forms. (What I have no idea of)

domestique
04-09-16, 19:51

I think it is really dependent on individual situations. If I only shot at public ranges I probably wouldn't bother with pistol cans. I shoot suppressed pistols at least once a month.

My parents live in the country, but still have neighbors within a couple hundred yards. We have a 75 yard range set up, and suppressed is the only polite way to shoot without making the neighbor's dog go crazy. This allows the wife to get some valuable trigger time in.

GrahamKAC
04-09-16, 20:11
The only reason I'm getting a pistol can is the scorpion Evo sbr. I just wanted the capability of other calipers later on. Well got an octane 45HD on hold. Now I have to complete my trust and send off the forms. (What I have no idea of)

I went with an Octane 45 also. Pleased with it's performance thus far. Knowing what I know now, I'd have waited until the Omega 9K, but that can wasn't available or announced yet when I got my Octane. That's the NFA game though.

MegademiC
04-10-16, 07:34
I think it is really dependent on individual situations. If I only shot at public ranges I probably wouldn't bother with pistol cans. I shoot suppressed pistols at least once a month.

My parents live in the country, but still have neighbors within a couple hundred yards. We have a 75 yard range set up, and suppressed is the only polite way to shoot without making the neighbor's dog go crazy. This allows the wife to get some valuable trigger time in.

This is nearly identical to my situation. I bought a pistol can first, for training, especially at night.

Next can will be a socom 556 mini.

Kenneth
04-11-16, 08:17
Ok so what form do I want to fill out to get approval for the suppressor?

Then to start an SBR I have to have my firearm in hand already right?

The CZ scorpion is on order but wanted to get ahead and submit both forms.

domestique
04-11-16, 08:27
Ok so what form do I want to fill out to get approval for the suppressor?

Then to start an SBR I have to have my firearm in hand already right?

The CZ scorpion is on order but wanted to get ahead and submit both forms.

You need a serial number for the SBR Form (Form 1). If you have a trust, using the eform system is very easy to use.

For the suppressor you and your dealer will fill, out a form 4 to submit to the ATF. IF the suppressor isn't in your dealer's possession, then your dealer fills out a form 3 to transfer the suppressor to himself. Once he has it in his possession, you and your dealer fill out the form 4.