PDA

View Full Version : Bed bugs - am I at risk?

Eurodriver
04-06-16, 17:13
I have a friend I was in the Marines with. He got into a bike wreck and lost his job and quit school and ended up in a homeless shelter. I think a big reason he stays motivated and refuses food stamps and stuff is because he sees what he is capable of through me so I try and mentor him when I can.

I took him out to lunch today and he casually mentioned he has bed bugs at the homeless shelter. Then he lifts up his shirt and this mofo is covered in bites. hundreds of them. They are all over.

Within 15 minutes we pulled over and I gave him lunch and cab money to get home. I don't **** with bugs. He had no idea they were "contagious" and felt bad for not telling me earlier, but I can't believe the VA would put him in a place like that to begin with.

Now I'm afraid to go in my house. I don't want any that may have fallen off in my car to end up in my home.

Am I overreacting? Anyone know what I can do? I know I could strip down before going inside but that doesn't fix the car issue.

I don't even know who to Ask. I already vacuumed my car out but it's clean anyway.

Did I mention I hate bugs?

Outlander Systems
04-06-16, 17:18
Have you already returned to the domicile?

I have a friend I was in the Marines with. He got into a bike wreck and lost his job and quit school and ended up in a homeless shelter. I think a big reason he stays motivated and refuses food stamps and stuff is because he sees what he is capable of through me so I try and mentor him when I can.

I took him out to lunch today and he casually mentioned he has bed bugs at the homeless shelter. Then he lifts up his shirt and this mofo is covered in bites. hundreds of them. They are all over.

Within 15 minutes we pulled over and I gave him lunch and cab money to get home. I don't **** with bugs. He had no idea they were "contagious" and felt bad for not telling me earlier, but I can't believe the VA would put him in a place like that to begin with.

Now I'm afraid to go in my house. I don't want any that may have fallen off in my car to end up in my home.

Am I overreacting? Anyone know what I can do? I know I could strip down before going inside but that doesn't fix the car issue.

I don't even know who to Ask. I already vacuumed my car out but it's clean anyway.

Did I mention I hate bugs?

Eurodriver
04-06-16, 17:19
Hell no.

Outlander Systems
04-06-16, 17:21
If you haven't already entered the house, bag your clothes.

Do a quick check on or about your person. Go inside, get some gym shorts, flops, and a shirt you don't ever care about seeing again.

Go to your nearest WalMart or Home Depot. Pick up bed bug and flea bomb/fogger.

Fog that Euro ride.

Ditch clothes again and bee-line for the head. Hit the shower.

ETA: My BIL owns a bar in FL, and while his house was being renovated lived in an apartment where the neighbors had an infestation. The neighbors were illegals.

Long and short of it, you do NOT want that shit in your house, dude man.

JC5188
04-06-16, 17:22
Call an exterminator. He'll tell you what to use on the car, and likely advice on proceeding further.

I'd sleep in a motel before I went back home if I didn't have it sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
04-06-16, 17:23
This. x1000

My BIL had to trash everything he owned and started over.

Call an exterminator. He'll tell you what to use on the car, and likely advice on proceeding further.

I'd sleep in a motel before I went back home if I didn't have it sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Averageman
04-06-16, 17:24
Dayummmm.
What if the Euromobile has the crabs? I mean what do you do if they got in the upholstery?
That was answered as I thought about it.
Man I hope your buddy GTF out of that place. The damn Health Department and the VA should work together to fix this issue.

ColtSeavers
04-06-16, 17:26
Yeah, 'flee and tick check' yourself immediately, consider all garments lost.
Go nowhere you do not want contamination.
Stay in a nice hotel tonight?

Burn vehicle and claim insurance. Or bug bomb it if you're feeling lucky.

If you're lucky, your girl(s)will think you're cheating, I'd rather deal with that argument than "I think I might have bedbugs."

F*ck small things feast on you.

Firefly
04-06-16, 17:30
Had some raunchy folks in my backseat many a time.

Don't freak.

Strip. Bag your clothes. Wash hot, dryer hot for 40 minutes. They can't live that long in heat and their eggs die real easy from the heat.

Bleach your washer.

Bug bomb your car if you feel that creeped. They can live a long time without blood. Up to a year and a half.

Wash your scalp with head and shoulders or something medicated. Same for the bushroot.

No big deal. If you were wearing something "formal", take it to a cleaner and advise them to steam clean. Heat is your friend.

Depending on how much bro hugging you did, you're likely safe.

ETA I know this is kinda ghetto but....

I used to just crank up the heater as hot as I could and let it sit for 30 minutes while I stretched my legs. Then deployed a fogger in the squad after parking it for the day leaving a light crack.

This was for people who were literally, visibly pestilent. Stripped on my backporch and walked in my house in my undies and underarmor.

No crabs yet.

Eurodriver
04-06-16, 17:33
Called an acquaintance who is an exterminator he said the flea bomb wouldn't help as it won't reach into the cracks that those bugs have already gone into.

He said 2hrs@120*f will kill them but there's no guarantee the cracks they live in will get to 120*. He also said it's unlikely he had the bugs on his person.

I'm not going home until I know what to do.

Eurodriver
04-06-16, 17:35
No bro hugs at all. He literally hopped in and I was like yo nephew why you wearing long sleeves it's like 85*? And he showed me. I drove him to lunch and we sat apart and then he took a cab home.

Firefly
04-06-16, 17:38
No bro hugs at all. He literally hopped in and I was like yo nephew why you wearing long sleeves it's like 85*? And he showed me. I drove him to lunch and we sat apart and then he took a cab home.

You don't have bedbugs.

You'd be itching by now.

I wouldn't even worry about car. Just hot water and high dryer setting to be sure.

austinN4
04-06-16, 17:43
I have started itching just reading this thread.

Good luck!

Averageman
04-06-16, 17:53
Had some raunchy folks in my backseat many a time.

Don't freak.

Strip. Bag your clothes. Wash hot, dryer hot for 40 minutes. They can't live that long in heat and their eggs die real easy from the heat.

Bleach your washer.

Bug bomb your car if you feel that creeped. They can live a long time without blood. Up to a year and a half.

Wash your scalp with head and shoulders or something medicated. Same for the bushroot.

No big deal. If you were wearing something "formal", take it to a cleaner and advise them to steam clean. Heat is your friend.

Depending on how much bro hugging you did, you're likely safe.

ETA I know this is kinda ghetto but....

I used to just crank up the heater as hot as I could and let it sit for 30 minutes while I stretched my legs. Then deployed a fogger in the squad after parking it for the day leaving a light crack.

This was for people who were literally, visibly pestilent. Stripped on my backporch and walked in my house in my undies and underarmor.

No crabs yet.

My Boss had to take his 85 year old Mother in Law to the ER.
He told me while he was there he saw two guys in Haz Matt Suits talking to a Nurse. Being a nosey guy he listened in and come to find out there was an incoming patient in some sort of shock from being bitten head to toe by Bed Bugs.

Outlander Systems
04-06-16, 17:57
Sleep tight...

; )

JackFanToM
04-06-16, 17:59
I run hotels, buy a steamer for bed bugs, steam your car, wash your clothes in hot water and dry them on high for 90 minutes minimum
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C55D3EI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00C55D3EI&linkCode=as2&tag=gasgrill09-20

Averageman
04-06-16, 18:01
I miss the hell out of some DDT.
When I was a Kid, I cant remember where we were stationed, but there was a Truck that fogged the whole neighborhood in the summer. We would follow it and ride our bikes in the fog of Bug Spray.
I'm guessing all of the Eagle eggs in the world aren't worth waking up in a bed full of tiny Vampires.

JackFanToM
04-06-16, 18:01
Chemicals are only about 60% effective unless u can get some from pre-1985 that have not been regulated

cbx
04-06-16, 18:11
Hoooo leeee shhiitttt!!

Fuk hoss....... Yet another chapter in the adventures of euro driver..........

(Shutters in disgust at the mental picture of gdam bed bug bites)

Averageman
04-06-16, 18:11
Chemicals are only about 60% effective unless u can get some from pre-1985 that have not been regulated

Don't worry then there will only be 40% left?
Screw that Napalm the little F'ers.

cbx
04-06-16, 18:13
Better throw away your phone....lol......

Please tell me you didn't touch your junk.... few things could scare a man worse than insects chomping away at his scrotum....lol

Eurodriver
04-06-16, 18:15
(Shutters in disgust at the mental picture of gdam bed bug bites)

It was bad man. Really bad. Imagine the worst acne you've ever seen on someone's arms, hands, back, neck, etc.

Averageman
04-06-16, 18:18
I would figure out a way to get that guy out of wherever he is staying.
Honestly if the VA is sending guys there someone needs to call the "Eyewitness News" and send a reporter over to get this on tape and broadcast it.

tab0013
04-06-16, 18:20
I am a K-9 handler for a bed bug company and the only thing guaranteed are heat treatments that heat the entire area at the same time. The steamers are ok but will not reach all areas and the bugs will run from the heat, I have found bugs in an apartment that the tenant steamed weekly. Bug bombs available over the counter are not rated for bed bugs and do not work. There is a chemical called steri fab that is rated for them but it is only a contact kill chemical, so if you don't get it on the bug it doesn't work.

As far as being itchy the response varies from person to person. I have no response and feed my training aids on myself with no ill effects. My suggestion, if its bothering you, would be to locate a certified dog team (WDDO, or NESDECA) in your area to search your car or to park the car in direct sun on a 90 degree day.

Eurodriver
04-06-16, 18:27
Do you think there are bugs in my car, though?

I think that's the big question. If he didnt bring bugs in the car then I'm golden and it appears they don't tend to live on people.

And yes I agree the VA is reprehensible putting guys in disgusting places like that.

ETA: I saw your post Firefly about this, I hope youre right, but I'm freaking out. I'm holed up in a Starbucks getting weird looks from googling bed bugs.

Firefly
04-06-16, 18:33
park the car in direct sun on a 90 degree day.

This too.
I've only bug bombed my car admittedly a few times. Mostly for other forms of pestilence. Bed bugs aren't the worse thing like lice, ticks, crabs, maggots (you don't want to know. But involves a purse full of 4 day old tuna)

But there has been a time or two in summer where I let my work car heater go full blast.

One guy I thought had Kaposi Sarcoma....turns out it was just a severe case of herpes.

But FWIW I doubt Euro was exposed enough to get anything

tab0013
04-06-16, 18:33
If they are as bad as you say they are in the shelter then there is a definite possibility they hitched a ride.

Outlander Systems
04-06-16, 18:49
Your pop-up ads will NEVER be the same.

Do you think there are bugs in my car, though?

I think that's the big question. If he didnt bring bugs in the car then I'm golden and it appears they don't tend to live on people.

And yes I agree the VA is reprehensible putting guys in disgusting places like that.

ETA: I saw your post Firefly about this, I hope youre right, but I'm freaking out. I'm holed up in a Starbucks getting weird looks from googling bed bugs.

Firefly
04-06-16, 18:54
Without getting too personal, what is your car upholstered with?

In my work car, it was a plastic seat and cage. With unupholstered floorboards.

I would think if anything was in there, vacuuming it would've mitigated your odds.

If it's really got you past 80% concerned. I'd just park my shit at home. Treat my clothes and call the bugman.

Firefly
04-06-16, 18:56
Your pop-up ads will NEVER be the same.

Ikr. Google Lisa Frank stickers for a friend ONE TIME....

JackFanToM
04-06-16, 19:08
I recommend the steam, as the heat systems cost around 2.3k. The steam will likely work in a car.
You asked if they were on him, and the answer is 100% yes. Had a homeless guy pass out in the lobby bar bathroom in the Alex Johnson (native American homeless in sd are high risk). The little buggers were climbing all over the tile walls when we removed the guy.
Worst case you will have a dozen or so hitchhikers laying eggs in your car, best case you have one or 2 and no eggs yet.
Unless you can get a 60% or better solution of DDT, and coat everything with it daily for next 10 days, the only other sure way is to get affected area over 120 degrees for 2 hours.
In my business we have a saying, it isn't if it's when, so know your enemy. I spend around $1700 every time I do so much as suspect them little bastids.

GH41
04-06-16, 19:09
Enjoy the vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfKCcSPCOQo

williejc
04-06-16, 20:04
Sir, you must perform these steps immediately:

1. Shave your balls
2. Buy two live chickens.
3. Run one bird through your house and put the other one in your car. Bedbugs--if present--will jump on the chickens.

I'm a retired health inspector, and I know whereof I speak. :big_boss:

Firefly
04-06-16, 20:08
It's 9 o' clock.

Where is he going to find live chickens in South FL at THIS hour?!

😞

tab0013
04-06-16, 20:10
I'm gonna respectfully remove all the previous advice I gave and 100% agree with Willie.

Averageman
04-06-16, 20:11
You know have nothing but sympathy, but the adventurers of Eurodriver, what a life!
He needs a SitCom.

Oh and the linked video, dayumm.

Eurodriver
04-06-16, 20:55
Status update: Casa de Euro is secure.

I called bae and had her meet me at the green zone. I gave her the keys, she went around back and I went in through the gate and got naked out back. Bagged all my clothes (and other fabric stuff I had in the car) which immediately went into the washer. My shoes haven't been washed yet but will be. Bae is a trooper though - never asked one "What the hell is going on" question!

Also inspected each "hard" item I had with me/in the car. Gun, books, etc. Then I booked it into the shower and scrubbed myself head to toe with Head and Shoulders. Then I...

Now I'm not sure what to do with my car. I can drive my other one, but not forever. Sat and Sun are supposed to be very sunny. Might try to leave the heat on full for like 5 hours and hope that does something. Unfortunately DDT is not coming up on my Amazon searches.

As far as my friend goes: He's not some drunk homeless guy in a public bathroom crawling in bed bugs. He's normally pretty hygienic. The issue is that he was between places so he was sleeping in his car. The VA heard about this and said something to the effect of "We aren't going to help you unless you help yourself and move into this shelter". Since he lived in the shelter he qualified for a VA job because he was homeless and will stay until he begins work in a few weeks when he won't lose the job opportunity.

I wouldn't do it, but I understand why he is. With that said, he may have had bugs on him but he certainly isn't infested with them. He is taking precautions.

JackFanToM
04-06-16, 21:02
My apologies Euro, never meant to imply your friend was like the guy we removed from the restroom, only used that to indicate how invasive these critters are. They won't be on his person, but in his clothes and personal effects. They also lay eggs that drop off and hatch, Hence the term hitchhikers. I wish we were close enough in proximity, as I would have you drive the car to my property and have my engineer deal with it for you. He has done it for other guests that have departed another hotel due to bedbugs and checked into ours. We happily give them the full treatment as a measure of self defense.

Eurodriver
04-06-16, 21:20
No worries man I didn't think that. I just wanted to clarify to get an accurate assessment of the likelihood they got into the eurocar. With a transient I could see the probability. He actually hasn't slept there in a few days because of the issue but still hangs out.

Still, I don't mess with vampire bugs so hopefully there is an exterminator around who can give me some info how best to proceed. We still don't even know if any are in the car, so I don't want to totally overreact.

With that said I'm not above donating the car to an MG shoot to avoid getting them in my house.

26 Inf
04-06-16, 21:37
Dude, I'm just saying, they are bugs, little bugs.

I hope to hell Chesty Puller doesn't have internet in his heavenly squad bay.

Leaveammoforme
04-06-16, 21:44
Enjoy the vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfKCcSPCOQo

Hmm. They're bigger than I thought they were. Good to know, I guess.

Hey Euro, Did you at least go shake off in some anti-2nd places before you showered and...?

You could have done great things with your powers. But you washed them off.

MountainRaven
04-06-16, 21:52
It's 9 o' clock.

Where is he going to find live chickens in South FL at THIS hour?!

😞

It's South Florida, I imagine he can probably get anything he wants at any hour he wants it.

Just has to know the right guy to call.

J-Dub
04-06-16, 21:58
Eh Im in and out of "bed bug Inn's" and deal with shitbag bums that are ate up all the time. I've never worried about it I guess. I keep my distant and wear ppe.

Get some tuff act'in tinactin.....boom!..and hose yourself down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJHIFiD3Na8

Firefly
04-06-16, 23:05
And thus concludes another episode of "That's MY Eurodriver!"

Glad it worked out, bro.

And 26, muh wingman, cut him some slack. Bugs are icky. I will scream like a black lady testifying in church if a Palmetto Bug dive bombs me.

Firefly
04-06-16, 23:05
It's South Florida, I imagine he can probably get anything he wants at any hour he wants it.

Just has to know the right guy to call.

That's the joke

MountainRaven
04-06-16, 23:16
That's the joke

https://i.imgflip.com/auwll.jpg

chuckman
04-07-16, 09:33
You don't have bedbugs.

You'd be itching by now.

I wouldn't even worry about car. Just hot water and high dryer setting to be sure.

Bed bugs usually don't itch. The can, but it's not a normal symptom. They are insidious mother****ers; one turns into a thousand, and they can live without eating a very long time.

Averageman
04-07-16, 09:59
Bed bugs usually don't itch. The can, but it's not a normal symptom. They are insidious mother****ers; one turns into a thousand, and they can live without eating a very long time.

Can a local Health Department shut a place like a Homeless Shelter or Hotel down until the issues are remedied?
If so, how would you go about clearing, cleaning such an infestation when they can live nearly anywhere to include inside the walls?

I have to admit the video that was posted made me itchy and I had to turn it off.

chuckman
04-07-16, 10:04
Can a local Health Department shut a place like a Homeless Shelter or Hotel down until the issues are remedied?
If so, how would you go about clearing, cleaning such an infestation when they can live nearly anywhere to include inside the walls?

I have to admit the video that was posted made me itchy and I had to turn it off.

Hmmm. Good question. A shelter, I don't know. A hotel, I think they can. They are just about impervious to all commercial products; steam cleaning and heat seems to be the best treatment.

In the ED one of the ways we make our differential diagnosis, especially from shelters, is if they itch. If they itch, it's usually fleas. All of those pics and videos make me itchy, though.

HCrum87hc
04-07-16, 11:21
I will scream like a black lady testifying in church if a Palmetto Bug dive bombs me.

This is my nightmare. I hate those mother effers.

jmp45
04-07-16, 12:02
Bed bugs freak me out too. They can hitch rides too. When I take wifey to the mall I always inspect the chair I wait on..;) Un-upholstered is best. How often to these things get shipped with garments? Restaurant booths? It can cause a bit of paranoia if you dwell on it. Our current war is on stink bugs, they like our fireplace.

BuzzinSATX
04-07-16, 12:38
Better throw away your phone....lol......

Please tell me you didn't touch your junk.... few things could scare a man worse than insects chomping away at his scrotum....lol

Damnit, I just blew the water I was drinking through my nose onto my iPhone when I read this post!!!! LOLOLOLOL!!!!

RWH24
04-07-16, 12:57
Shave half of your pubes. Douse the bushy side with lighter fluid and light it.

When the little gumers run out of the forest into the clearing, stab them with an ice pick.

Oops, This is for crabs

ScottsBad
04-07-16, 13:04
I don't know if you solved the problem, but moderately high heat kills them. Like leaving you car in the sun on a hot day kind of heat. You might be able to put an electric heater inside the car for a few hours if you are that paranoid. I think it only takes like 120 degrees for a couple hours.

As for you friend he needs to get out of that shelter and the Health Department needs to be called. Also someone needs to bring it to the attention of the management right away.

BTW - If you are worried about your clothes, check to see if your washer has a "Steam" or "Sanitize" option.

Eurodriver
04-07-16, 13:15
My car has been baking in the sun all day, and about an hour ago I turned the car on and turned the heater on full blast. It's just sitting the driveway. I don't know how hot it is inside but it's unbearable for me.

I'm trying to find my IR thermometer to see what it is inside but no luck so far.

Eurodriver
04-07-16, 13:38
So here's what I've got so far:

This is deep in the shade

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_5562_zpsrz7hyjph.jpg

and in the carpet in the sun

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_5564_zpsytweskxx.jpg

Says 120*F for two hours to kill them, but Google is abound with "experts" claiming the inside of a car doesn't get hot enough (uhhh?) I didn't take measurements prior to using the heater but it's been in direct sunlight for three hours now and with the heater on for almost 2. The coolest part of the car I could find was between the driver's side seat and the door where it was 118* but that was probably due to the heat escaping because I had the driver's side door open while I crawled in and took measurements.

cbx
04-07-16, 13:44
Take no prisoners euro.... Don't want the car to be "lousy".....phasing!

cbx
04-07-16, 13:44
I'd burn the car....

Eurodriver
04-07-16, 13:46
I'd burn the car....

Isn't that what I'm doing?

The metal said 178* :moil:

Big A
04-07-16, 13:49
Now you have to do the strip and immediately wash the clothes you wore to get those readings...

cbx
04-07-16, 13:50
Ripping the seats out and throwing them in the trash still wouldn't fix it.

About the time one of them fukers hatches out of the carpet like a gdam alien movie and catches a ride on a nut hair into the house, and then in to bae's bush, you wished you had just poured gas all over the car and yourself in the first place.....

ScottsBad
04-07-16, 13:59
...nuke it from space...its the only way to be sure...

Big A
04-07-16, 14:06
and then in to bae's bush

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I'm pretty sure my boy Euro don't roll that way...

Eurodriver
04-07-16, 14:14
I don't know if that's a gay joke or a bush joke.

But it's okay because I certainly don't roll with either.

Averageman
04-07-16, 14:38
I bet you get the hee bee gee bee's every time you scratch an itch now.
As bad as it is, more than anything I hope your Buddy gets out of that Shelter and at this point I hope he collects a vial full of those nasty things and drops them off in the couch at the staff lounge of his local VA.

Eurodriver
04-07-16, 15:24
Yesterday I was freaking out on the car ride home, for sure.

I just checked again. It's been almost 3 hours, but I shut the car off because the sun went behind a tree.

The temps were no lower than 150* all over the car. In the glovebox, the ceiling, under the seats, inside the seat belt receptacles, under the dash, everywhere I could think of measuring it was 150-170*

However, that is surface temperature. I'm not sure if the air would be more or less? It certainly was hot af in that car though.

ColtSeavers
04-07-16, 15:27
I'd repeat the process tomorrow.

Or list the car for sale if you're feeling froggy and evil.

JackFanToM
04-07-16, 16:36
Euro I'm 100% positive if you had your car at those temps for that long that you killed any that were there, inclusive of eggs. Do a seam check on the seats every 2 days and look for critters and eggs, if in 10 days you see no sign (guarantee if they are there you will see a sign in that time period) you are gtg. I have treated no less than a dozen rooms with single bug sightings, and 2 with multi. All of those rooms are 100% clear. Still worried call around to see who has bug sniffing dogs.

cbx
04-07-16, 23:40
I don't know if that's a gay joke or a bush joke.

But it's okay because I certainly don't roll with either.
Lol...... It was meant as in the context of lady friend bush. Trying to bring humour to an obviously shit situation. If it were me, I'm pretty sure I world have lit my car on fire, then submerged my infested body into a barrel of chlorine followed by a barrel of acid.....

Don't roll with either.......lmfao......

I really hope them bastards are dead in your car. I feel for you and your plight. I'll bet that sucked very much so thinking them damn things could be in your car and clothes.

Cheers to victory and the death of those blood sucking roaches!

Averageman
04-08-16, 12:35
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/Screen%20Shot%202016-04-05%20at%201.35.33%20PM_zps0uuifni6.jpg

Guy got in to my car with Bed Bug Bites, so I got this helmet to keep 'em out of my beard.