PDA

View Full Version : Step up from a Colt 1991?

nova3930
04-06-16, 18:50
Getting the itch to add another .45 1911 to my collection. Havent really looked into 1911s in quite some time so I'm ignorant of the current state of 1911 affairs. Last one I bought was a Kimber 10mm that I haven't had for long.

I have a Colt 1991 ORM I bought in college that was the 2nd pistol I ever bought. Got it for a song from a guy who had only shot one box of ammo through it. I know because I shot probably half the box :p

It's just a basic stainless w black rubber grips commander. Always has been a reliable and fine shooter. Runs without a hiccup as long as the mag follower has a dimple.

Looking to take a step up from that with more feature one don't want to go whole hog Wilson/LesBaer/etc. Probably looking at <$1200 but preferably <$1000.

LGS is putting the Rugers on sale this weekend for $690-$857. Are those worth looking at or a waste of time? If the latter what should I be looking at?

skipper49
04-06-16, 21:11
New Springfield Loaded. Used Springfield TRP, or higher end Colt.
I have the Ruger SR 1911, 5", the Ruger CMD, and the Ruger CMD Lightweight. They are all three just great for what they cost, and have been totally reliable.
If you are moving up however, and long term value is important to you, one of the first three I named would be MY first choice.
Good hunting.
Skip

nova3930
04-06-16, 21:16
I'd love to have one of the colt M45s but that's a bit outside my budget. Maybe one of their new competition models would fit the bill..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

skipper49
04-06-16, 21:28
I'd love to have one of the colt M45s but that's a bit outside my budget. Maybe one of their new competition models would fit the bill..

Been eyeing that Competition Model myself. MSRP of only $899.

bulldozer3
04-06-16, 21:54
A great step up would be dan wesson. Heritage for around 1100 or so, or step up to the valor for 1450ish. Or Plenty of other models to choose from. Some in your price range, some just above. Keep it stainless (vs duty coat) to save about 300 bucks.

Vandal
04-06-16, 23:06
A Dan Wesson Valor would be a good step for you. Still an under-rated 1911.

L-2
04-06-16, 23:38
A "step up" is too vague for my little mind. I've (only) owned 7, and still have four 1911 guns, mentioned just for background. The first one, no longer owned, was bought in 1988.

That stainless Commander sounds like a great gun! Here's a logical way to ponder one's next 1911. While you could just decide on a brand and choose a model from that brand's catalog of offerings; consider choosing the features you'd want and go from there, such as:
-size of 1911
-rail or no rail
-frame/slide material
-caliber
-price
-finish
-any other details which I didn't think of while typing this post

nova3930
04-07-16, 08:53
A "step up" is too vague for my little mind. I've (only) owned 7, and still have four 1911 guns, mentioned just for background. The first one, no longer owned, was bought in 1988.

That stainless Commander sounds like a great gun!

I do love my little commander. It goes to the range nearly every time I do. Maybe a blued 5" 1991 would fit the bill. My commander has the downswept beavertail which I kinda like so if I could find one with that....

Here's a logical way to ponder one's next 1911. While you could just decide on a brand and choose a model from that brand's catalog of offerings; consider choosing the features you'd want and go from there, such as:
-size of 1911
-rail or no rail
-frame/slide material
-caliber
-price
-finish
-any other details which I didn't think of while typing this post

-size of 1911 - 5"
-rail or no rail - doesn't really matter but a rail isn't necessary
-frame/slide material - think I want carbon steel on both
-caliber - 45. married to my Sig P320s for 9mm
-price - $1000-$1200 max.
-finish - blued possibly but open to anything
The
The Colt Wiley Clapp gov't kinda catches my eye. Springfield Armory Range Officers and Loaded do as well. The S&W E series are interesting as well but again, they're in the category of 1911 brands that didn't exist last time I was interested so I'm wary.....

L-2
04-07-16, 10:06
With the specifications provided, I'd also be looking at another Colt. I don't consider it a step-up so much, as more of an addition to the collection.
Wiley Clapp Government: http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Special-Editions/Wiley-Clapp-Pistols
Series 70 Colt: http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Series-70
In carbon steel, Colt has a fixed sight model and an adjustable sight model.

These are what I'd be considering in that price range. I don't know how you feel about no firing pin safeties or sight types.
It would take another $1000 to get into the Les Baer brand, but that's something else I'd consider. Even though I don't own a Les Baer, I've come across several local satisfied acquaintances who own, use, & recommend the brand.
http://lesbaer.com/prices.html#pistols
http://lesbaer.com/TRS.html

nova3930
04-07-16, 10:14
With the specifications provided, I'd also be looking at another Colt. I don't consider it a step-up so much, as more of an addition to the collection.

Yeah, only reason I call it a step up is my commander is very nearly as basic as you can get. Only difference between it and a standard GI model is the downswept beavertail. Within my budget I know I'm not getting into the custom or even semi-custom realm, just looking for a few more features, like maybe a beavertail.

I don't know how you feel about no firing pin safeties or sight types.

Don't care either way on the former. On the latter, since I'm not going to carry it, adjustable might be nice, but not a necessity. As I said above, I'm kinda drawn to that Wiley Clapp myself. Just a matter of finding one.

brickboy240
04-07-16, 10:20
Don't trade a Colt 1911 for a Ruger! LOL

I'd be tempted to look at one of the newer Colt offerings at or around a grand or just go for a new Series 70 Govt Model...those are dead sexy old school cool.

bulldozer3
04-07-16, 10:23
https://www.kygunco.com/mobile/products.cfm/id/43752/name/dan-wesson-rz-45-heritage-45-acp--pistol-5in-match-barrel-8-round-stainless

Govt size, beavertail, good sights, no mim (I know, but worth mentioning), good fitting and will run like a raped ape.

It is a production gun, but fitting is done. You would be hard pressed to find a better value in this price range.

Sam
04-07-16, 10:24
Maybe one of their new competition models would fit the bill..

You've answered your own question. Buy the new Competition model and sell your old 1991A1, you shouldn't have to fork out too much cash after that deal.

nova3930
04-07-16, 11:13
Don't trade a Colt 1911 for a Ruger! LOL

You've answered your own question. Buy the new Competition model and sell your old 1991A1, you shouldn't have to fork out too much cash after that deal.

Sell? Trade? What do those words mean? ;) lol

I can count on one hand the number of guns I've ever gotten rid of if that tells you how I roll. And 2 of those were POS Del-ton ARs that I built when I was a broke college student :D

Striker
04-07-16, 16:40
Have you thought about sending your Colt to a top 1911 pistolsmith/company and having them do custom work on it instead of buying a new 1911?

nova3930
04-07-16, 18:14
Dropped by my lgs and handled the Wiley Clapp this afternoon. Was honestly not fond of it. Grips have an odd profile that's disconcerting.

The had a competition 9 and that was pretty nice. That goofy blue fiber optic front sight would have to go though.

For whatever reason they only had one lonely SA GI so didn't get to look at any of those I was interested in.

Have you thought about sending your Colt to a top 1911 pistolsmith/company and having them do custom work on it instead of buying a new 1911?

But then I only have 1 gun instead of 2. That's no fun lol

gaijin
04-08-16, 18:19
Another vote for Dan Wesson in your price range.

Decent parts, good slide to frame fit, checkered front strap, good sights, better than average triggers.

STI is also good, albeit not as pleasing aesthetically (arguably).

nova3930
04-08-16, 20:28
I want to get my hands on an SA loaded either stainless or parkerized. See how they feel. Right now the Colt Competition is leading though. It would be a slam dunk if they had put something other than the blue fiber optic on the front sight....

ETA

Looking around a bit more, looks like the fiber rod is interchangeable and comes with both red and yellow so maybe the Competition is the one. Solid base to shoot and mod as I like for not a huge outlay....

nova3930
04-09-16, 11:42
i'm about ready to save my pennies and get a colt combat unit or maybe even step up to the Wilson Combat and similar realm. Just don't see anything I'm in love with at my current budget.

newyork
04-09-16, 12:00
Les Baer might be a good middle ground between production Colt and Wilson.

nova3930
04-13-16, 18:00
Considering something i never do. trading/selling guns. I bought a used LE Glock 21 with the intention of converting it to 460 Rowland. Thinking ditch that to help fund a nicer 1911.

More I look the more I like the Dan Wesson valor. Handled one last Saturday and it was darn slick for a production pistol.

HCM
04-15-16, 01:00
Baer recently has a price increase. I have three Baer's made in 1995, 1997 and 2000. I'm happy with them but quality on the newer Iowa made Baer's I've seen is not consistent and if you get a problematic one Baer can be difficult to deal with.

Unless you find a used Baer, I would go Valor or TRP for a higher end gun. The Colt Competition looks promising as a shooter but it's kind of fugly.

The Colt Wiley Clapp is a great gun, - I like the grips - they are an ogive, thin at the front, thicker at the rear. Colt 1991 rubber grips and aftermarket thin grips fit without modification. If you want standard grips, swapping grip screw bushings is easy.

Another good value from colt, is the CCG which is a colt / Talo collaboration - thread on it here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?116900-Colt-TALO-CCG-(concealed-carry-government)

nova3930
04-15-16, 09:47
Baer recently has a price increase. I have three Baer's made in 1995, 1997 and 2000. I'm happy with them but quality on the newer Iowa made Baer's I've seen is not consistent and if you get a problematic one Baer can be difficult to deal with.

I looked at their lineup and really don't see anything that draws my interest, least not for the price premium they command compared to say the DW.

Unless you find a used Baer, I would go Valor or TRP for a higher end gun. The Colt Competition looks promising as a shooter but it's kind of fugly.

Basically I really only want it for a shooter and the Competition has the advantage of being relatively cheap. Could hang on to the Glock with it and not bust budget. The one I saw in person really didn't look bad. Wasn't pretty but not terrible. It also does NOT have front strap checkering which I'm not certain I want. My 1991 is smooth and I like it a lot. That's my one concern on the Valor is front strap checkering....

The Colt Wiley Clapp is a great gun, - I like the grips - they are an ogive, thin at the front, thicker at the rear. Colt 1991 rubber grips and aftermarket thin grips fit without modification. If you want standard grips, swapping grip screw bushings is easy.

I figured the grips would exchange. I just hate to drop over a grand on a gun just to immediately start swapping parts, even if it is just grips.

nova3930
04-15-16, 18:14
Did my normal friday circuit of my local dealers this afternoon. One had a pristine "used" DW Valor stainless priced at 1250. Pulling it apart and looking it over it had no more wear than the brand new one sitting next to it.

Handled it for quite a while, feeling out the checkering and such and decided that was ok. Then the guy said he'd do 1250 out the door, so now it's on lay-a-way. We've got 9% sales tax here so that's 1100 and change sales price for basically a new valor. Couldn't pass that up.