PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Premium Oil (Review coming soon), Anyone heard of it?

WS6
04-07-16, 00:25
A "free, just pay shipping" offer for a new "CLP" came over my Facebook news feed, and I was bored, soo...I ordered 2 bottles of the stuff for $10 including shipping. Also, I shot Wolf Premium Oil a FB message riddled with my typical pedantic questions.

I actually got a request for my phone # back, in a few minutes, and found myself shortly thereafter on the phone with Mike Wolf, discussing his product.

From what I gathered, this stuff should work pretty well. Mike seemed like a pretty down to earth kindof guy, and not exactly a "slick marketing type". He didn't use a bunch of big words or slam any competitors or him and haw about what was in his product. Here is what I gathered from the conversation:

-It is a unique product, formulated from the ground up, and cannot be purchased anywhere but from them (It is not re-bottled, and it is not "Product A" with 1oz per gallon of Moly added, so to speak).
-It contains no chlorines as EP, nor does it contain Teflon.
-It is 100% synthetic (not vegetable/plant/seed/etc. based, or petroleum based)
-It was inspired by/evolved from the HVAC industry.

So, I did some research on my own. While Mike assured me this was not rebottled anything, I wanted to know how what inspired it did, so I googled "100% synthetic HVAC compressor oils". Many companies make them, but I found that those who published stats, had some impressive data...flash-point 500*F+, ASTM D4172 wear-scar 0.5 range, pour down to -49F, 24 hour salt-water corrosion test pass, and a viscosity similar to motor oil.

Pretty impressive from a "raw data" standpoint, and whatever the CLP (they don't like to call it that, but really, that's what it is billed as, cleaning, lubing, protecting) is, supposedly was inspired by something with those stats or similar.

Anyway, I am currently using SLIP 2000 EWL, which posts VERY similar stats...and may actually be a similar chemical, I don't know, just guessing, and look forward to running a few hundred rounds suppressed with this Wolf stuff when I get it. it is my opinion that it's likely not something that is some "new and exotic" chemical, but rather something formulated based on safe, intelligent combinations of "knowns". I like stuff like that, personally.

As a side note, the company claims that the product is 100% American made/synthesized/whatever, and that 10% of profits are donated to charity organizations per month. Even if it turns out to be "just another good option", those are two things that I like, and would inspire me to use it. Proof will be in the pudding, though!

Has anyone else ever heard of/tried it?

***Why am I trying "new stuff" when I have something that works great? because once upon a time, SLIP 2000 EWL was "new stuff", and Breakfree CLP worked great. I enjoy new stuff. Sometimes I find new stuff (Vltor A5...QPQ BCG's...etc.) that I keep and feel is a genuine improvement. Sometimes I try new stuff and am just wiser for it.

JC5188
04-07-16, 03:26
If we never tried new stuff, this wouldn't be a fun endeavor, and we'd all have safes full of 30-30's and 870's covered in hoppes and rem oil.

Look forward to the review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bayoublaster
04-07-16, 09:04
If we never tried new stuff, this wouldn't be a fun endeavor, and we'd all have safes full of 30-30's and 870's covered in hoppes and rem oil.

I'm just glad these self contained cartridges were all they were cracked up to be.

Ned Christiansen
04-07-16, 09:18
I'm just glad these self contained cartridges were all they were cracked up to be.

An' all them twirly grooves in our barrels-- that turned out good, too.

I'm glad somebody wants to dig into these things and check stats / ingredients and all that. Because I get all ho-hum about lube.... everything I try (within reason) tends to work well, so I wonder, can there really be something a lot better? Regardless of the answer I guess it would always be "no" if people stopped trying and investigating, so...... lube on.

WS6
04-07-16, 09:24
An' all them twirly grooves in our barrels-- that turned out good, too.

I'm glad somebody wants to dig into these things and check stats / ingredients and all that. Because I get all ho-hum about lube.... everything I try (within reason) tends to work well, so I wonder, can there really be something a lot better? Regardless of the answer I guess it would always be "no" if people stopped trying and investigating, so...... lube on.

Well, I found my graduation from Rem oil to CLP was a good one, and then through a laundry list of oils to SLIP 2000 EWL. Always looking for the next step up, and yes, I am sure I will find it. Innovation hasn't suddenly stopped in 2000whatever.

Wolf didn't of course tell me "Okay, here's our formula", but saying it was born from his experience with HVAC tells me that it's likely AT LEAST as good as the HVAC oils I found...and they have some VERY impressive properties. If he has found a way to make that stuff eat carbon like the online reviews I have seen seem to indicate...it's going to be a killer product, IMO, even if he hasn't improved it, which, I don't understand why/how he couldn't have built on it by re-working the formula for this task.

Here is some regular synthetic HVAC oil...

http://www.hycompusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/l115-synthetic-oil.pdf

...not shabby AT ALL! I can't see the Wolf stuff being WORSE than the industry it spawned from would produce.

Add in that the Wolf stuff supposedly is hell on fouling and causes water/moisture to bead/protects metal from it, and it SHOULD be a winner, on paper. Going to see how all that pans out in the real world next week.

kremtok
04-07-16, 11:45
I just can't help but think of Wolf Cola.

At any rate, thanks for testing it out and sharing your results. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Beck1911
04-07-16, 21:42

It's my understanding that synthetic is based on petroleum. It is just a matter of how it is processed.

I have a bottle of wolf and it seems like a fine product. It is like a thick CLP. But for me does not clean fouling better than any of the other good products on market for me.

WS6
04-07-16, 21:47

It's my understanding that synthetic is based on petroleum. It is just a matter of how it is processed.

I have a bottle of wolf and it seems like a fine product. It is like a thick CLP. But for me does not clean fouling better than any of the other good products on market for me.

No, true fully synthetic lubricants are not made from petroleum products. They are synthesized from raw components such as methane, carbon dioxide, and carbon monoxide, using the Fischer-Tropsch process.

kenny256
04-07-16, 22:05
So where is this pay shipping offer? I could always use some good rifle lubricant.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WS6
04-07-16, 22:17
So where is this pay shipping offer? I could always use some good rifle lubricant.

I asked Mike, and they are not a part of Wolf, so don't go blaming Wolf for all the BS, and just ignore the "For $$$ you can add..." prompts.
https://products.universityofguns.com/squeeze-page2047291

kenny256
04-07-16, 22:22
Wow....that crap is a joke!

Beck1911
04-07-16, 22:25
Synthetic oil is a lubricant consisting of chemical compounds that are artificially made (synthesized). Synthetic lubricants can be manufactured using chemically modified petroleum components rather than whole crude oil, but can also be synthesized from other raw materials.

Semantics to a degree.

WS6
04-07-16, 22:29
Wow....that crap is a joke!

Yep, but you asked...

WS6
04-07-16, 22:30
Synthetic oil is a lubricant consisting of chemical compounds that are artificially made (synthesized). Synthetic lubricants can be manufactured using chemically modified petroleum components rather than whole crude oil, but can also be synthesized from other raw materials.

Semantics to a degree.

No. Groups. Group IV vs. Group V vs. Group VI.

MegademiC
04-08-16, 08:45
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where they come from, what matters is what the final chemical is. Some people care, like environmentalists.

I'm curious what the chemical is (just because) and how it performs. Looking foreward to reports.

Side note: Splenda adds drive me bananas. "Made from sugar so it tastes like sugar". No, it doesn't taste like sugar. I can make CO2 from sugar, it doesn't taste like sugar either. Point is, raw material doesn't necessarily matter, the final product does.

WS6
04-08-16, 08:56
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where they come from, what matters is what the final chemical is. Some people care, like environmentalists.

I'm curious what the chemical is (just because) and how it performs. Looking foreward to reports.

Side note: Splenda adds drive me bananas. "Made from sugar so it tastes like sugar". No, it doesn't taste like sugar. I can make CO2 from sugar, it doesn't taste like sugar either. Point is, raw material doesn't necessarily matter, the final product does.

I doubt Wolf will tell us what it is, but my guess is that it's got a lot of the same components as a good synthetic (Group V / EU VI) compressor oil. Maybe some extra stuff in it. I don't really feel a need to know what it is except that I confirmed there is no PTFE, no chlorinated anything, and it's not black so I doubt it contains moly. Also, I was told here are "no volatiles", and I confirmed this by again asking "So there is nothing in it that would evaporate off of my firearm after several hours? "No".

Joe Mamma
04-08-16, 09:07

I think one big concern is the relatively large amount of impurities you get with petroleum oil, which is avoided with synthetic oil. You get a much more "pure" oil with synthetics, both with regards to the type of oil molecules and the minimal impurities. Of course this relates to the base oil, and not necessarily the additive package.

That's one of the reasons synthetics generally run so much cleaner in car engines. It's also a reason they generally flow much better at very low temperatures.

Joe Mamma

WS6
04-08-16, 09:18
I think one big concern is the relatively large amount of impurities you get with petroleum oil, which is avoided with synthetic oil. You get a much more "pure" oil with synthetics, both with regards to the type of oil molecules and the minimal impurities. Of course this relates to the base oil, and not necessarily the additive package.

That's one of the reasons synthetics generally run so much cleaner in car engines. It's also a reason they generally flow much better at very low temperatures.

Joe Mamma

This is because the synthetics have a uniform chain length, while the Group III's have some short, and some long chains, and those will burn off, and cause thickening in the cold, respectively.

OrbitalE
04-08-16, 14:12
Wonder how M4C folks in this thread also post to BITOG.

Zirk208
04-08-16, 15:33
Wonder how M4C folks in this thread also post to BITOG.

Gun lube threads there are twice as bad. All of the same anecdotal evidence AND the plethora of incorrectly applied techno jargon. They take their lube very serious over there.

GH41
04-08-16, 16:25
Come on guys. The compressors this oil is used in are no more than internal combustion engines with no internal combustion. Rings, pistons, valves and bearings like the engine in your car. Do you really think they called a petrochemical engineer and commissioned a special compressor oil? I don't. No more than a gun oil guy produces a special gun oil. They may add color or scent but after that it's all about marketing and non-disclosure agreements. Just like barrels and BCGs.

WS6
04-08-16, 17:49
Come on guys. The compressors this oil is used in are no more than internal combustion engines with no internal combustion. Rings, pistons, valves and bearings like the engine in your car. Do you really think they called a petrochemical engineer and commissioned a special compressor oil? I don't. No more than a gun oil guy produces a special gun oil. They may add color or scent but after that it's all about marketing and non-disclosure agreements. Just like barrels and BCGs.

I was told specifically:

"Re-formulated from the ground-up".
"NOT an existing/re-bottled product, or one with anything added to it to "make it unique".