PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Rogue One

Pages : [1] 2 3

Boba Fett v2
04-07-16, 12:13
Wake up, assholes. This deserves its own thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-07-16, 12:24
Looks dark, I like it.

If Jar Jar gets burned, dismembered and eviscerated in the opening credits, I'm in.

What is it with female lead heros?

The Force looks strong in this one....

Boba Fett v2
04-07-16, 12:29
There's a Grand Admiral in it. That alone is a rare sight in Star Wars canon (Thrawn Trilogy in the old canon) let alone in a film. I like the covert and irregular warfare aspect of it (rebellion being seen by the empire as an insurgency and the Empire seeing itself in a COIN fight). Yes. This is developing into something very interesting.

RazorBurn
04-07-16, 13:02
The trailer looks good. I like the hint of the storyline too. Can't have a rebellion without a rebel or two. :)

rushca01
04-07-16, 13:21
Looks good!

Do we need another female hero?

Not sure about Forest Whitaker, seeing reminds of battlefield earth....

Outlander Systems
04-07-16, 13:59
This actually looks better than Force Awakens...

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-07-16, 14:38

If I had the time and editing skills, I would 're-shoot' Awakens by just using footage from the Good three episodes. Pretty much every scene in Awakens harkens back to a scene in 4-6.

So, in the canon, so to speak, what does her uniform mean at the end of the trailer. My wife took it to mean that she was on the 'dark side' since she is in all black. Are future Rouge movies going to be after New Hope in a time line?

I'm guessing we aren't going to see any Leia slave style outfits from here on out.

rushca01
04-07-16, 15:04
If I had the time and editing skills, I would 're-shoot' Awakens by just using footage from the Good three episodes. Pretty much every scene in Awakens harkens back to a scene in 4-6.

So, in the canon, so to speak, what does her uniform mean at the end of the trailer. My wife took it to mean that she was on the 'dark side' since she is in all black. Are future Rouge movies going to be after New Hope in a time line?

I'm guessing we aren't going to see any Leia slave style outfits from here on out.

My guess she was in all black as she was infiltrating the facility to steal the plans.

ColtSeavers
04-07-16, 15:25
Looks good!

Not sure about Forest Whitaker, seeing reminds of battlefield earth....

Seconded.

Big A
04-07-16, 15:29

Rouge One leads into ANH and is gonna be one and done.

The "Saga" movies will be in trilogies. (Ep 7,8 & 9)

The "A Star Wars Story" movies are gonna be one shots. (Rouge One, the Han Solo and Boba Fett movies and so on)

We don't know that her being in that Imperial uniform wasn't before she joins the Rebellion.

If you want to get more info you should check out a YouTube channel called Colider: Jedi Council. They talk about everything going on in that galaxy far, far away. They have info on what roles actors are playing without necessarily spoiling the plot.

WillBrink
04-07-16, 15:41
Looks good, but considering what a total disappointment was the last installment, no trailer will get me into a movie theater at this point for Star Wars. I'll wait for it to hit rental market.

Firefly
04-07-16, 16:05
Hells to the YEAH!

Rebellious hot chick pilot with an attitude and a rap sheet?
Forest Whitaker?
Bearded viking dude with a space Mk. 18?
People getting shot?!

I'm in like Flynn on this joint

JC5188
04-07-16, 16:21
Diggin' it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
04-07-16, 16:44
The Imperial uniform looked like a TIE Fighter pilot uniform. But I would have to see it again to be certain.

jmp45
04-07-16, 16:49

I agree much better..

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-07-16, 17:37
WALKERS!!!!!

Boba Fett v2
04-07-16, 18:04
I still think TFA is a great film. Beautiful cinematography, superb acting, great effects. None of the naysayers have deterred my feelings about the movie. While I understand some of the complaints lobbied against it, to me it was still an great example of solid film making, just like Fury Road.

What I would be interested in seeing is a movie shot solely from the side of the Imperials in sort of a Letters from Iwo Jima fashion, only it would focus on intelligence gathering and covert operations. Would love to see a film where we get to see the Imperial intelligence network collecting on Rebel sympathizers, developing target packages, attacking networks and going after HVTs like rogue Jedi who might have escaped Order 66.

Boba Fett v2
04-07-16, 18:06
Hells to the YEAH!

Forest Whitaker?
People getting shot?!

I'm in like Flynn on this joint

Did you catch the sniper?

Big A
04-07-16, 18:27
The Imperial uniform looked like a TIE Fighter pilot uniform. But I would have to see it again to be certain.
I thought so too but it doesn't have the breather pack for the helmet (she could be carrying it and it's out of the shot) and what are those LAWS rocket lookin things on the back?

Big A
04-07-16, 18:29
Hells to the YEAH!

Forest Whitaker?
People getting shot?!

I'm in like Flint on this joint

FIFY ;)

Big A
04-07-16, 18:53
There's a Grand Admiral in it. That alone is a rare sight in Star Wars canon (Thrawn Trilogy in the old canon) let alone in a film. I like the covert and irregular warfare aspect of it (rebellion being seen by the empire as an insurgency and the Empire seeing itself in a COIN fight). Yes. This is developing into something very interesting.

Upon watching the trailer about 10 times now I don't think Ben Mendelssohn is playing a Grand Admiral. I think he is Imperial Security Bureau/ Imperial Intelligence. Like Wullf Yularen in ANH:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160407/e4e137360d6e7f0ab3f34d2c054f12a1.jpg

jmp45
04-07-16, 19:24
Could Forest be Darth? I don't remember much of the prequels.

jwfuhrman
04-07-16, 19:32
here is my take and maybe its been discussed.

The Rouge One movie seems to me to take place between Episode 3 and 4. The Death Star is the major weapons test they speak of. In Episode 4 when they were going in to attack the Death Star, it is said that a great many lives were lost to get this intel. It looks as if this is the story line of how the Rebellion got the Intel.

TAZ
04-07-16, 20:00

The Rouge One movie seems to me to take place between Episode 3 and 4. The Death Star is the major weapons test they speak of. In Episode 4 when they were going in to attack the Death Star, it is said that a great many lives were lost to get this intel. It looks as if this is the story line of how the Rebellion got the Intel.

My thoughts exactly. I remember Leah blabbing about how many people lost their lives to get the information on the DS. Looks like a good one off filler to keep folks bought in and ready to spend cash on the next full fledged episode.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-07-16, 20:08
My thoughts exactly. I remember Leah blabbing about how many people lost their lives to get the information on the DS. Looks like a good one off filler to keep folks bought in and ready to spend cash on the next full fledged episode.

And if most of them die off, no need for a sequel. Everyone may die. The girls name seems familiar?

MountainRaven
04-07-16, 21:43
I thought so too but it doesn't have the breather pack for the helmet (she could be carrying it and it's out of the shot) and what are those LAWS rocket lookin things on the back?

Next guess would be Shadow Stormtrooper armor - armor worn by the Imperial equivalent of FSB Alfa.

Big A
04-07-16, 21:52
Next guess would be Shadow Stormtrooper armor - armor worn by the Imperial equivalent of FSB Alfa.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160408/a1d7638a6ef438671bc0ab4fd32ed2cb.jpg
I don't think it's shadow trooper armor. I'm more inclined to the TIE pilot suit, just wondering where the breather pack is and what are the things on the back.

MountainRaven
04-07-16, 21:56
Re-watched the trailer. Again.

Pretty sure it's either something like an elite TIE pilot uniform or maybe an Imperial Naval trooper. The Shadow Stormtrooper call is pretty definitely wrong.

titsonritz
04-07-16, 21:58

Yep, I agree. It looks to be action filled.

Firefly
04-07-16, 22:12
That Shadow Stormtrooper look like he gonna whip somebody ass. He has extra space mags, a space whoop ass stick, and he just looks mean.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-07-16, 22:29
That Shadow Stormtrooper look like he gonna whip somebody ass. He has extra space mags, a space whoop ass stick, and he just looks mean.

Racist.

BSLM

Firefly
04-07-16, 22:48
Racist.

BSLM

But I think he looks cool

nml
04-07-16, 23:44
The Force Awakens was nothing more than a ripoff of the first Star Wars. This looks like actual new content.

Moose-Knuckle
04-08-16, 02:04
Yeah this looks bada$$!

Korgs130
04-08-16, 05:02
Yeah this looks bada$$!

Yes it does. I'm stoked.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-08-16, 08:27
Why do Stormtroopers wear body armour if it actually doesn't seem to protect them from blaster fire?

ColtSeavers
04-08-16, 09:13
Why do Stormtroopers wear body armour if it actually doesn't seem to protect them from blaster fire?

I know it's a really, really old gripe, but to me the armor protects against shrapnel and hand to hand? It's also a uniform, and as such everyone wears one, that's just that. Kind of like units that deployed before interceptor vests and up-armored humvees were widespread, they rolled out with whatever TA50 they had on supply, which was woodland camo flak jackets, the old load bearing vest and regular old humvees. The flak jacket didn't even stop butterknife (donated by the DFAC) 'tests' in the barracks.

RazorBurn
04-08-16, 09:33

That was my take as well. You can see them lowering the dish into the Death Star in the trailer. How about the ballsy f-ers advancing TOWARD the AT-AT's on foot?! :suicide2:

Big A
04-08-16, 09:43
PsyOps. A army where you can't really discern one individual from another in stark white that looks kinda like a skeleton that has been sun bleached in the desert would have an unnerving effect on a population that you are trying to oppress and subjugate, no?

And also, the Empire is cheap when it comes to it's front line soldiers since there are plenty of people waiting to sign up to replace the dead.

They touch on this in an episode of Rebels where Rex calls it junk armor compared to clone armor which could actually take a couple of hits.

MountainRaven
04-08-16, 11:04
PsyOps. A army where you can't really discern one individual from another in stark white that looks kinda like a skeleton that has been sun bleached in the desert would have an unnerving effect on a population that you are trying to oppress and subjugate, no?

And also, the Empire is cheap when it comes to it's front line soldiers since there are plenty of people waiting to sign up to replace the dead.

They touch on this in an episode of Rebels where Rex calls it junk armor compared to clone armor which could actually take a couple of hits.

Might be why the Shadowtrooper armor resembles (to me) Phase 2 clone armor.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-08-16, 11:16

It has to be in the future, because keeping that armour white would be a real bitch. Maybe they use that new Rustoleum stuff that is hydrophobic.

Big A
04-08-16, 11:23
http://petercushingblog.blogspot.com/2016/02/tarkin-returns-and-he-is-not-alone-star.html?m=1

According to this website Peter Cushing is reprising his role as Grand Moff Tarkin for Rogue One...

Big A
04-08-16, 11:29
Might be why the Shadowtrooper armor resembles (to me) Phase 2 clone armor.
The helmet certainly looks like a blend of a Clone Comando and a Stormtrooper. I like it. If I were into cosplay it would be hard to choose between Shadowtrooper or Mandalorian.

Boba Fett v2
04-08-16, 12:10
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160408/b4aafb8fe6aaeefae7b290659d0cf966.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

titsonritz
04-08-16, 12:15
^^It is closer in time to IV than III.

Firefly
04-08-16, 13:07
I still want a movie from the Stormtrooper point of view.

Like Platoon or Full Metal Jacket. A line infantry unit of misfits. Not commandos. Just guys in the ass end of some bizarre planet shooting alien women and children with the 60 gun on a republic gunship and discussing how much Arcturan poontang they are going to get and how much liquor they are going to drink.

Boba Fett v2
04-08-16, 13:21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abxJXQFiwD8

Firefly
04-08-16, 13:28
Less that and more guys cursing and singing 90s one hit wonders as they convoy to the next ville in need of blastering

Plasman
04-08-16, 16:54
Upon watching the trailer about 10 times now I don't think Ben Mendelssohn is playing a Grand Admiral. I think he is Imperial Security Bureau/ Imperial Intelligence. Like Wullf Yularen in ANH:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160407/e4e137360d6e7f0ab3f34d2c054f12a1.jpg

You're probably right. Grand admiral has different insignia than the guy in the trailer.

Most references showed the insignia for a Grand Admiral as six blue squares with three yellow and three red; an alternate version of the rank badge seen in some images displayed seven blue and red squares, with two code cylinders.

Honu
04-08-16, 17:25
I wish our political attitude in movie making was 30 years ago though with todays tech of course !!! I think we would have the most awesome movies without any sensitivity kinda stuff that happens in some :)

ColtSeavers
04-08-16, 17:32
I wish our political attitude in movie making was 30 years ago though with todays tech of course !!! I think we would have the most awesome movies without any sensitivity kinda stuff that happens in some :)

I don't know about that. To be honest, I really miss a lot of the 'actual' stuff done and used in movies in the past over super heaping helpings of CGI. I mean, watch episodes 4, 5 and 6 on old school VHS before Lucas went and re-edited crap in them 400 times over and tell me you still want all the new wiz-bang computer stuff. Hell, I still think the original vasaline speeder smudge trick worked out just fine.

ETA: I will admit that the lightsabers being touched up (not appearing as glowing rods with a lit point at certain angles) was ok though.

Big A
04-08-16, 20:01
You're probably right. Grand admiral has different insignia than the guy in the trailer.
The only Grand Admiral currently in the new canon is Grand Admiral Akbar of the New Republic.

There currently are no Imperial Grand Admirals in canon.

And on a side note, if I was Timothy Zahn I would be pissed if they introduced a character I created into canon without letting me do it. In my opinion Disney should just throw a wheelbarrow full of money at him to let him write a Thrawn novel or series.

ETA: Now that I've seen some stills of Ben Mendelsohn in his uniform his rank insignia has 6 each blue & red squares. The same amount as Admiral Ozell and Piett from ESB. Therefore I retract my theory that he is ISB as he would out rank the head of ISB Col. Wullf Yularen. So you were right Boba, he is a Grand Admiral. (Or at least he should be with the rank tab he's wearing. His character better not be named Thrawn though...[emoji35] )

MountainRaven
04-08-16, 20:15
Less that and more guys cursing and singing 90s one hit wonders as they convoy to the next ville in need of blastering

Just so we're clear about what sort of music - exactly - it is that they'd be singing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzZOgLH4KU

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-08-16, 20:16
Looks fantastic. I am stoked.

1. Lead seems pretty awesome.
2. Forrest Whitaker is a top-notch actor with a lot of gravitas, so I hope his part is powerful.
3. I am a bit iffy on the samurai in the trailer. Seems jarring, like having a dude in a kilt or something. But I felt the same way about the storm trooper with the light saber proof batton and it was good.
4. I hope that guy with the cloak is someone interesting.
5. I like the storm troopers that look more clone troopery. Might be nice to see some old clone troopers looking grizzled.

SteyrAUG
04-08-16, 21:09
Anything that says "Lucas" might as well say "waiting for the DVD release."

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-09-16, 01:16
Anything that says "Lucas" might as well say "waiting for the DVD release."

I was wondering about that. I thought he was 'out'? Like they let play drive things like dog thinks he can bark the TV on.

Moose-Knuckle
04-09-16, 03:54
If I were into cosplay it would be hard to choose between Shadowtrooper or Mandalorian.

No contest, the Mandalorian armor is Alpha while the Shadowtrooper get up comes off as effeminate. The chest plate looks like a f'n mid drift top and what's up with the skinny look, it's not intimidating.

Moose-Knuckle
04-09-16, 04:03
I was wondering about that. I thought he was 'out'? Like they let play drive things like dog thinks he can bark the TV on.

He is out, thank all that is holy. Disney uses the Lucas Ltd. logo as they own it. Fans identify with the Lucas Ltd and Lucas Arts logos. Seeing a Mickey Mouse or Walt Disney's signature logo would just ruin it.

In an interview about TFA George compared his relationship with Star Wars and Disney as a "divorce" and that Disney was "white slavers" and bought his "children".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jWtbJxzGpQ

Big A
04-09-16, 09:28
No contest, the Mandalorian armor is Alpha while the Shadowtrooper get up comes off as effeminate. The chest plate looks like a f'n mid drift top and what's up with the skinny look, it's not intimidating.
What? It's the same as regular stormtrooper armor, it's just black and the helmet is different.

cbx
04-09-16, 10:02
Yay.....another movie about a death star...........

Wished they hurry up and make mass effect already.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-09-16, 11:07
He is out, thank all that is holy. Disney uses the Lucas Ltd. logo as they own it. Fans identify with the Lucas Ltd and Lucas Arts logos. Seeing a Mickey Mouse or Walt Disney's signature logo would just ruin it.

In an interview about TFA George compared his relationship with Star Wars and Disney as a "divorce" and that Disney was "white slavers" and bought his "children".

More like Disney freed the slaves or hostages.

MountainRaven
04-09-16, 13:50

They also own Marvel Studios and Pixar and they use those logos with productions made by those studios.

LucasFilm is functionally just another studio under Disney's banner. Their logo is still used because they still exist - even if they're owned by the Mouse - and they're still the ones making Star Wars movies and shows. Sort of, but not exactly, like how Freedom Group manufactures rifles that say "Remington" and "DPMS" on them.

What? It's the same as regular stormtrooper armor, it's just black and the helmet is different.

I guess the slimming effect of black isn't a myth afterall!

:sarcastic:

JC5188
04-09-16, 13:52

Like Platoon or Full Metal Jacket. A line infantry unit of misfits. Not commandos. Just guys in the ass end of some bizarre planet shooting alien women and children with the 60 gun on a republic gunship and discussing how much Arcturan poontang they are going to get and how much liquor they are going to drink.

Exactly...like the video game X-Wing v. Tie Fighter.

Moose-Knuckle
04-10-16, 01:42

Well I guess it's true what they say, black clothing makes you look skinny'er . . .

Never noticed the mid drift chest plate on the white suits of armor, huh.

Still though, Mandalorian armor is IMHO the baddest of the bad. Boba Fett's dented and scarred armor rocked on so many levels.

Moose-Knuckle
04-10-16, 01:46
They also own Marvel Studios and Pixar and they use those logos with productions made by those studios.

LucasFilm is functionally just another studio under Disney's banner. Their logo is still used because they still exist - even if they're owned by the Mouse - and they're still the ones making Star Wars movies and shows. Sort of, but not exactly, like how Freedom Group manufactures rifles that say "Remington" and "DPMS" on them.

Yup, a friend of mine had a cousin who worked at Lucas Ltd, she along with everyone in her department was laidoff/fired when Disney acquired the company.

I don't think George sold them Industrial Light and Magic or Skywalker Sound. He probably still owns THX as well.

I guess the slimming effect of black isn't a myth afterall!

:sarcastic:

Hah you beat me to it before I posted above . . .

Honu
04-10-16, 05:04
Looks fantastic. I am stoked.

1. Lead seems pretty awesome.
2. Forrest Whitaker is a top-notch actor with a lot of gravitas, so I hope his part is powerful.
3. I am a bit iffy on the samurai in the trailer. Seems jarring, like having a dude in a kilt or something. But I felt the same way about the storm trooper with the light saber proof batton and it was good.
4. I hope that guy with the cloak is someone interesting.
5. I like the storm troopers that look more clone troopery. Might be nice to see some old clone troopers looking grizzled.

only reason I could think would be a homage to where Star Wars all came from :) Akira Kurosawa

not sure you have seen this but well worth the watch :)
especially around 6:15 and notice the similarity :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pU6B2zEFeg

when I took film study in the 80s even this was pretty well known and Kurosawa is responsible for so many things in movies today :)

VooDoo6Actual
04-10-16, 09:05
All the clues are there for those who are sentient enough to connect the dots as we are in a asymmetrical nonlinear dispersed paradigm.

I was disappointed in the movie's script & numerous boring scenes & predictable outcomes.
JJ Abrams (X Files / Fringe) has always been an insider & one that the PTB use to try errr "steer" & introduce & program humanity through. Spielberg, Cameron, Bay, Scott are other's used. That's why they usually get the blockbuster budget's & films to those who pay attention & use discernment. ;-P

Oscar Wilde had it right: 'Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life.'

The Decay Of Lying: An Observation

The illusion of choice is very real for those who are awake.

Big A
04-10-16, 09:12
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160410/1b36b635a30cf64d0ebdf1f8c73c5e07.jpg

This is another trooper type that is being introduced in this film. Can't find anything saying what they are but if you pause the trailer at the scene where the rebels are running through what looks like an Imperial facility you can see them with regular stormtroopers that are chasing them.

Also, I've seen online some are calling the all black troopers Deathtroopers instead of Shadowtroopers. I can't find anything official saying one way or the other what they're actually gonna be called.

Big A
04-10-16, 09:35
Well I guess it's true what they say, black clothing makes you look skinny'er . . .

Never noticed the mid drift chest plate on the white suits of armor, huh.

Still though, Mandalorian armor is IMHO the baddest of the bad. Boba Fett's dented and scarred armor rocked on so many levels.
Agreed the Mando's are bad ass but I like the new troopers with that cooler looking helmet and the mag pouches are a cool touch. I like the ROTS style clone troopers a lot too.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-10-16, 10:30

This is another trooper type that is being introduced in this film. Can't find anything saying what they are but if you pause the trailer at the scene where the rebels are running through what looks like an Imperial facility you can see them with regular stormtroopers that are chasing them.

Also, I've seen online some are calling the all black troopers Deathtroopers instead of Shadowtroopers. I can't find anything official saying one way or the other what they're actually gonna be called.

Isn't that the type of armour worn by the guys riding in the 'tank'?

Big A
04-10-16, 10:50
Isn't that the type of armour worn by the guys riding in the 'tank'?
Just checked and nope. The tankers look like a blend of the above helmet with the traditional stormtrooper helmet and their armor looks more like regular ST armor.

Here is some screen shots,
Tankers:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160410/41f8e56795a62a55a955139b7233655c.jpg
Scout type troopers:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160410/79912a52f34d2207824d265750070d14.jpg

They both look different to me.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-10-16, 13:01
Maybe these are interim troops between clone troopers and modern storm troopers--and were mostly phased out by ANH.

MountainRaven
04-10-16, 13:59
Maybe these are interim troops between clone troopers and modern storm troopers--and were mostly phased out by ANH.

They might also be armors worn by second-line troopers and thus not seen in the original trilogy, as the Stormtroopers shown were supposed to be among the best of the Imperial Stormtrooper Corps (501st "Vader's Fist" in Hope and Empire and whoever the Emperor's favorites are for Jedi).

cougar_guy04
04-10-16, 14:05

Kinda thought the same. I really grew tired of Lucas f***ing with the original trilogy (I'd pay good money for a remastered trilogy as it appeared originally on the big screen on Blu Ray without the extra Lucas touches) . . . and I hold that fool personally responsible for Jar-jar.

Big A
04-10-16, 19:02
Kinda thought the same. I really grew tired of Lucas f***ing with the original trilogy (I'd pay good money for a remastered trilogy as it appeared originally on the big screen on Blu Ray without the extra Lucas touches) . . . and I hold that fool personally responsible for Jar-jar.
The be prepared to click the "buy now with one-click" button on amazon sometime this year. (I expect it'll be just in time for the holidays ) as that is a rumor I've heard recently and Disney didn't give Lucas 4 billion for nothing.

Boba Fett v2
04-10-16, 22:53
Just checked and nope. The tankers look like a blend of the above helmet with the traditional stormtrooper helmet and their armor looks more like regular ST armor.

Here is some screen shots,
Tankers:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160410/41f8e56795a62a55a955139b7233655c.jpg
Scout type troopers:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160410/79912a52f34d2207824d265750070d14.jpg

They both look different to me.

The question is, are they tank troopers or armored reconnaissance? Big difference. I was in a armored scout platoon in Iraq and we mainly patrolled on foot with Bradleys in direct support, similar to what is seen in the trailer. It would make more sense if these guys were armored recon or light mechanized infantry. I consider AT-ATs the Imperial equivalent of "tanks".

Moose-Knuckle
04-11-16, 02:40

I'm dig'n the Flat Dark Earth armor and the MG-34 lol.

That helmet almost reminds me of the Scout Troopers from ROTJ . . .

Note the same blaster rifle (based upon the German MG-34)
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1500/26298138341_72d59d439c_b.jpg

carolvs
04-11-16, 13:46

Disney removed the Lucas slave collars and put on Mickey-branded ones.

That said, Rogue One looks 100x better than TFA. Write off Eps 1 through 3, and we'll call this "The Prequel."

Firefly
04-11-16, 16:37
Well Disney did make Song of the South.....

But anyway yeah...this looks badass. No BS just straight up war in space with some chick who is a devil may care outlaw with nothing to lose.

In fact, undo the prequels and restore Anakin to the Sgt. Barnes-esque badass he was before everyone called him "Annie"

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-11-16, 17:13
As excited as I am for this...I really would like to see what happens with Rey, Luke, Fin etc. Just watched TFA last night for the 3rd time...

Big A
04-11-16, 17:28
I'm dig'n the Flat Dark Earth armor and the MG-34 lol.

That helmet almost reminds me of the Scout Troopers from ROTJ . . .

Note the same blaster rifle (based upon the German MG-34)

It appears the only real difference betwixt the 2 are the helmets. Aside from the color the rest of the armor looks the same.

And there were scout troopers in ROTS on Kashyyyk. And strangely enough their armor wasn't white but camouflaged in woodland colors for operations on a heavily forested planet...go figure (<= just another example of why the prequels sucked big ol Rancor balls...)

Firefly
04-11-16, 17:57
In all fairness, Troopers had woodland camo at the Battle of Kashyyk in ROTS.

I like to think the Scout Troopers were just pushed into action like guys in the Iraq invasion were. Like dudes rolling in wearing woodland camo instead od Deserts.

But Magpul FDE Trooper looks badass

Big A
04-11-16, 19:19

I like to think the Scout Troopers were just pushed into action like guys in the Iraq invasion were. Like dudes rolling in wearing woodland camo instead od Deserts.

I get that argument:
"Hey guys, we need y'all to guard this shield generator. Nothing is gonna happen, the planet is populated by teddy bears so nothing to worry about there. And we've got some camo armor coming to replace the parade whites, we're just waiting on General Veers to approve 'em"

However I'd like to think there was a grizzled Battalion Sargent Major that had seen action from Dantooine to Hoth and from Ryloth to Kashyyyk and had enough forethought to requisition some crates of spray paint so his men could rattle can their kit until proper equipment made it planetside.

But I am super stoked about this movie. It is the type of story I want see more of from this galaxy far, far away

cougar_guy04
04-11-16, 20:32
The be prepared to click the "buy now with one-click" button on amazon sometime this year. (I expect it'll be just in time for the holidays ) as that is a rumor I've heard recently and Disney didn't give Lucas 4 billion for nothing.

If that's the case, then Disney had better be ready to shut up and take more of my money.

Big A
04-11-16, 20:55
If that's the case, then Disney had better be ready to shut up and take more of my money.
People keep asking Kathleen Kennedy (President of Lucasfilm) if they're ever gonna release the original theatrical release on Blu-ray and she keeps saying basically "I can neither confirm or deny". The problem lies with Fox owning the original theatrical releases through 2020 and they own the rights to A New Hope until the end of time. So it's just a matter of Disney and Fox coming to an agreement on how to divi up the buttloads upon buttloads of money they're gonna make. But I would be surprised if it didn't happen this year as they've been trying to get it done since Disney acquired Lucasfilm in 2012.

MountainRaven
04-11-16, 22:18
As excited as I am for this...I really would like to see what happens with Rey, Luke, Fin etc. Just watched TFA last night for the 3rd time...

Patience you must have, my young padawan. Soon enough Episode VIII you will see, in 2017.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-11-16, 22:53
I hope to see the true might and oppression of the Empire in this movie. That is something that has always been lacking. A suffocatingly evil Empire.

Collegefour
04-12-16, 00:05
I hope to see the true might and oppression of the Empire in this movie. That is something that has always been lacking. A suffocatingly evil Empire.

Completely annihilating a totally innocent and defenseless PLANET isn't evil enough for you? I remember feeling physically ill the first time I saw that as a ten year old, and just completely stunned that anyone could be so callous and.....evil. After that, the danger the Empire represented was palpable for me.

ColtSeavers
04-12-16, 00:11
Completely annihilating a totally innocent and defenseless PLANET isn't evil enough for you? I remember feeling physically ill the first time I saw that as a ten year old, and just completely stunned that anyone could be so callous and.....evil. After that, the danger the Empire represented was palpable for me.

Unicron devouring a planet you just watched parents and children robots playing and enjoying life on was worse than watching wide-eyed with an evil grin as the Death Star blew up a random ball on a black background with no history and viewer attachment.

Moose-Knuckle
04-12-16, 03:01
People keep asking Kathleen Kennedy (President of Lucasfilm) if they're ever gonna release the original theatrical release on Blu-ray and she keeps saying basically "I can neither confirm or deny". The problem lies with Fox owning the original theatrical releases through 2020 and they own the rights to A New Hope until the end of time. So it's just a matter of Disney and Fox coming to an agreement on how to divi up the buttloads upon buttloads of money they're gonna make. But I would be surprised if it didn't happen this year as they've been trying to get it done since Disney acquired Lucasfilm in 2012.

To date, even though I'm a huge SW fan I DO NOT own any of the films on DVD/Blu Ray. I've been waiting for the originals to be released and one big box set.

Boba Fett v2
04-13-16, 11:30
In other news...

None Harmed after Imperial Stormtrooper Goes on Two Hour Mass-Shooting Rampage (http://newsthump.com/2016/04/09/none-harmed-after-imperial-stormtrooper-goes-on-two-hour-mass-shooting-rampage/)

Firefly
04-13-16, 11:44
In other news...

None Harmed after Imperial Stormtrooper Goes on Two Hour Mass-Shooting Rampage (http://newsthump.com/2016/04/09/none-harmed-after-imperial-stormtrooper-goes-on-two-hour-mass-shooting-rampage/)

#DemandBetterImperialTraining
#SithDemandAction

JC5188
04-13-16, 15:47

Do you think they argue over lube, km v. M-lok, etc?

Firefly
04-13-16, 15:59
No. I honestly think they argue over who is going to plow more Arcturan poontang or who is going to drink whom under the table once they rotate out of their current shithole.

JC5188
04-13-16, 16:39
Somehow I think that's spot on--- ALL. BIDNESS.

cougar_guy04
04-13-16, 20:32
To date, even though I'm a huge SW fan I DO NOT own any of the films on DVD/Blu Ray. I've been waiting for the originals to be released and one big box set.

Same here. I've got my VHS set that my folks gave me in 1995. Been seriously trying to convert them to DVD if they don't release a non-enhanced Blu-Ray set.

Big A
04-13-16, 20:38
I got the original theatrical release on DVD way back when. They do look pretty bad on an HD TV but they are the pure unmolested movies we all fell in love with.

Moose-Knuckle
04-14-16, 01:04
Well this is interesting . . .

COMIC REVEALS WHY C-3PO HAS A RED ARM IN STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS

Today in Star Wars Special: C-3PO #1 from Marvel Comics, written by James Robinson with art by Tony Harris, we got the answer in a story that takes place before the events of Force Awakens.
The story, titled “The Phantom Limb,” kicks off as C-3PO and a group of four other droids hurry off a crashed Resistance ship before it explodes. C-3PO mentions a Captain Hoff and the ship’s crew, and it’s implied they all died in the crash and subsequent explosion, leaving the droids to complete their mission by reaching a downed ship across the planet.

Their mission is to escort a First Order protocol droid named OMRI to the Resistance so they can datamine him for the location of a captured Admiral Ackbar.

The other droids, however, were not so lucky. By the time the ship is in sight, they’ve all been destroyed, leaving just C-3PO and OMRI. Acid rain begins to pour down, so they take cover just yards away from their goal. OMRI decides to choose friendship over choosing a side, and so he gives Ackbar’s whereabouts to C-3PO and then sacrifices himself by walking into the acid rain in order to activate the homing beacon. The rain eats away at OMRI’s plating, revealing red primer underneath.

C-3PO gets rescued by Poe Dameron and BB-8, and he keeps the red arm, wearing it as a reminder of the droid friends he lost and the lesson OMRI taught him.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/13/comic-reveals-why-c-3po-has-a-red-arm-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens

Big A
04-19-16, 07:09
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160419/8685c9e8a7886dd4a105379f2c520349.jpg

Firefly
04-19-16, 11:07
That poster looks like Battlestar Galactica. I love it

ETA looking up the cast to find out who that girl is, I discovered that Wash from Firefly is in it.

I am a leaf on the wind, watch as I soar

Moose-Knuckle
04-20-16, 01:20
It just get's better and better . . .

Now if we could just get an R rating lol.

skijunkie55
04-20-16, 10:27
I just binge watched the entire Star Wars saga again this past week (Episode I - VII) and I'm very excited about this new one... They hint at the Death Star quite a bit in Episodes II and III so it's cool to see that story line finally come to fruition.

Firefly
04-20-16, 12:52
An R rated Star Wars would be badass.

It should be a Boba Fett story where he disintegrates people left and right. Maybe some knife killings as well.

JC5188
04-20-16, 12:59
That poster looks like Battlestar Galactica. I love it

ETA looking up the cast to find out who that girl is, I discovered that Wash from Firefly is in it.

I am a leaf on the wind, watch as I soar

You're talking about the real Battlestar Galactica, not the one where Starbuck is a chick. Correct?

Firefly
04-20-16, 13:07
You're talking about the real Battlestar Galactica, not the one where Starbuck is a chick. Correct?

In context of the poster, I am referring to the original BSG. But I liked both series.

Michelle Forbes' Admiral Cain was the best though.

JC5188
04-20-16, 13:09
It does resemble the originals, yeah. It's the capes...just need the medallions.

Spiffums
04-23-16, 19:28

Kinda looks like Speeder Trooper Armor with a different helmet.

Spiffums
04-23-16, 19:35

I don't really see a problem......Fox releases the pre ****ed with editions and make all the money.

SurplusShooter
04-23-16, 20:04

Now now, there are two sides to every story.... ;)
Empire is the unifying gov't in the galaxy, and they are fighting a counter-insurgency. Like Mideast counterinsurgency, except they are willing to play hardball like "Boer war".
Destruction of Planet , one could argue, was necessary as a dramatic move to force capitulation of the rebels in a quick end, instead of getting dragged into a ground invasion where many more would die (think WW2 firebombing or Atomic bomb).
Just because you've seen the Rebel Alliance propaganda films doesn't mean they aren't still an insurgent force / separatists forced.

What's the difference between a "Rebel" , "Terrorist", or a "Freedom Fighter"? History is written by the victors.

(I jest)

http://bensbargains.com/thecheckout/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Pro-empire-enlist-today-he-needs-you.jpg
("He can't do it alone, enlist today" Imperial recruitment poster, from Google image search)

I want to see a movie from the Imperial point of view before I pass judgement ;)

(Like that fanfilm "Troops", he just wanted to see the galaxy and help maintain law and order).

MountainRaven
04-23-16, 20:48
Really more like the Nazis fighting the various partisans, rather than the Brits fighting the Boers.

Still. This is a series I would totally watch, if it were a real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

Firefly
04-23-16, 20:54
I've really never seen how the Empire was bad.

Ever see that life of brian skit?
"What have the Romans ever done for us?"

Education, aqueducts, roads
, medicine, wine, civilization, security, literacy, etc....

Firefly
04-23-16, 21:05
Fjallhrafn....

That anime was DOPE. It was like the best parts of Macross, Gundam, a little bit of Area 88, and even, dare I say, the ending space battle of Project A ko from the Empires POV.

The guys who made that need funding STAT

MountainRaven
04-23-16, 21:10
I've really never seen how the Empire was bad.

Ever see that life of brian skit?
"What have the Romans ever done for us?"

Education, aqueducts, roads
, medicine, wine, civilization, security, literacy, etc....

You realize you're talking about an Empire that engineered a galactic war to come into existence, attempted to exterminate all practitioners of a certain religious order, had sufficient graft, corruption, and fiscal malfeasance that the third most powerful person in the galaxy and under the Emperor's protection was openly operating a galaxy-spanning criminal organization and think that building a planet-destroying super weapon was a good idea, and then decided that it would be a good idea to demonstrate that weapon by killing billions of innocent people and destroying a highly influential core world.

Imagine FDR is dictator for life, the second most powerful person in the US is George S. Patton, and the third most powerful person is Al Capone. And that Herbert Hoover develops nuclear weapons to crack down on Bonnie and Clyde, and demonstrates it by dropping it on New York City. Because Los Alamos is too remote for an effective demonstration. But they built the interstate system, so they're not that bad, right?

While the Empire did achieve some debatably good things - like standardizing galactic communications technology - it was a pretty horrible government by any rational standard.

Fjallhrafn....

That anime was DOPE. It was like the best parts of Macross, Gundam, a little bit of Area 88, and even, dare I say, the ending space battle of Project A ko from the Empires POV.

I know, right? Even made the TIE Bomber look like a bad ass piece of hardware.

Firefly
04-23-16, 21:17
......I'm a Browncoat through and through but I pitch in with the Empire.

I don't cotton much to Royalty or holy roller Force freaks.

Plus Alderaan was a terrorist training camp.

MountainRaven
04-23-16, 21:32

Said the guy who's choosing to side with the group whose boss bears the titles of both 'Emperor' and 'Darth', whose guards are called 'Royal Guards', and who is not only a holy roller Force freak, but the HMFIC holy roller Force freak.

:P

Firefly
04-23-16, 21:46
Aye, but it's my denomination of Force.

Plus Palpatine went down in history as the Galactic Reagan.

Plus he was elected. Nobody voted for or supported Leia except radicals.

Palpatine kept it in the Sith temple, man. He didn't thump you over the head with it every five minutes like Obi Wan

MountainRaven
04-23-16, 21:58
He also had you murdered if you talked about it.

And if you weren't Aforcist, you got to be disappeared then tortured and murdered or tortured and enslaved. You'd get training, too, if you were enslaved, but the training is intentionally poor and your issued weapons are intentionally inefficient, as you're only going to be used as a bloodhound (to find other Force users) and miners canary (in the event that the Force user is a Jedi, you're not likely to survive the encounter because of how poor your training and equipment are - and that's not unintentional) for Vader.

Firefly
04-23-16, 22:06
Under Palpatine I got more money back
in tax refunds, Elerium 134 was 0.99 credits a megaliter, medicinal plutonium nyborg was legalized, and there was never talk of an assault blaster ban.

You're a good guy, but we simply disagree on this.

MountainRaven
04-23-16, 22:24
It seems that you've forgotten that you got more back in tax refunds because the government was running up a huge deficit - and now we have to help them pay their way out of it (Death Stars don't pay for themselves, as it turns out, especially not when they get blown up), Palps was all pally-pally with the religious fanatics on Dantooine, and Palps signed an Imperial decree banning the manufacture of repeating blasters (have you seen the price of an E-Web lately?) for civilians and the import of blasters from the Outer-Rim.

Seriously, he's the entire reason why you cannot get a real Baktoid Armor Workshop E-5 blaster, but have to rely on the dubious quality of parts kits assembled by half-trained monkey-lizards working out of some besalisk's garage. Baktoid makes great blasters, but it's the piss-poor quality of these Core-made kit guns that makes everyone think that they're junk.

RazorBurn
04-24-16, 09:44
You two, that's the single greatest thread page I've ever read. My hats off to you both! :D

Boba Fett v2
04-24-16, 11:06
You two, that's the single greatest thread page I've ever read. My hats off to you both! :D

+1

I had a good chuckle.

But it also gave me pause and made me think about how things really are in our currently reality....

Anyhoo, the internet buzz is that Vader will be the most brutal we've ever seen him. I can't wait to see how they flesh him out for this film.

SurplusShooter
04-24-16, 11:24
Under Palpatine I got more money back in tax refunds.....
You're a good guy, but we simply disagree on this.

;)

My second cousin enlisted with the Empire and told me it was pretty good. He's stationed on a large Star Destroyer, and says food and MWR facilities are good. Have you seen that latest holovid? He has ;)

Contrast this with another relative who joined the Alliance, "see the Galaxy" they said... well he's on Hoth and shoveling-out TaunTaun stables in the -40 cold. Word is, they've had trouble making payroll at some times. ;)

MountainRaven
05-09-16, 13:55
Fjallhrafn....

Had a random idea just now:

A BSG/VOY-like series set after TFA (maybe between Episodes VII and VIII) about a Venator-class Star Destroyer (Clone Wars-era SD) brought out of mothballs by the New Republic and crewed by veterans of the Galactic Civil War from both sides, plus conscripts and volunteers from the Core to the Outer Rim, with the younger crew ranging from guys whose fathers fought for the Empire (and maybe their grandfathers fought for the Old Republic) to Resistance veterans to pirates (who have been pardoned and granted letters of marque), all fighting against the First Order, with the ship's fighter complement consisting of a hodgepodge of T-65 and T-70 X-Wings, Y-Wings, A-Wings, TIE Fighters and Interceptors (and maybe older, Clone Wars era craft like ARC-170s and LAATs), and maybe use it to canonize some independent-type ships like R-41 Starchasers and T-Wings (or more modern variants of them). Have the ship's Master-at-Arms be a crusty old Stormtrooper who, once-upon-a-time was a dianoga-eating pipehitter for the Empire.

Boba Fett v2
05-17-16, 22:21
New images from an upcoming Rogue One companion book. Should give us a bit more insight on what we can expect with regards to visuals and some of the characters.

http://pulse.therpf.com/new-images-and-character-details-from-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story

https://cdn.flutter.co/pulse/uploads/diumbZAQmuKFvS5uRLvG_Rogue_One_Visual_Story_Book_cover.jpg

https://cdn.flutter.co/pulse/uploads/3pprRxUQkqrcKwMEg9N1_Rogue_One_Visual_Story_Book_01.jpg

https://cdn.flutter.co/pulse/uploads/s5s5TUXnSsKhR5jAas0G_Rogue_One_Visual_Story_Book_02.jpg

https://cdn.flutter.co/pulse/uploads/C10UZtMpTeixG2x03BuN_Rogue_One_Visual_Story_Book_03.jpg

https://cdn.flutter.co/pulse/uploads/Rq7SHN8Tt2IbMVrsKKdY_Rogue_One_Visual_Story_Book_04.jpg

https://cdn.flutter.co/pulse/uploads/zTDizORRRauERtbcPQZI_Rogue_One_Visual_Story_Book_05.jpg

https://cdn.flutter.co/pulse/uploads/HWLZfuAjRJKBYFxhhrsk_Rogue_One_Visual_Story_Book_06.jpg

https://cdn.flutter.co/pulse/uploads/eY8S4cc1QxW88ROsOgKH_Rogue_One_Visual_Story_Book_07.jpg

https://cdn.flutter.co/pulse/uploads/45FkQMvSEyExmmuVFpi2_Rogue_One_Visual_Story_Book_08.jpg

https://cdn.flutter.co/pulse/uploads/w3MLD2WfSs2d7yyiVYIA_Rogue_One_Visual_Story_Book_09.jpg

https://cdn.flutter.co/pulse/uploads/Wq2pYDhlSqWziwJ4aIJc_Rogue_One_Visual_Story_Book_10.jpg

Firefly
05-17-16, 22:31
That TIE striker looks like a TIE Interceptor for truly suicidal hate jockeys.

I love it

SteyrAUG
05-17-16, 22:48
So I finally watched this one. Probably the closest thing to the original 1977 film made so far and I give them credit for that. But it was also pretty much a loose remake of the original with Rey in the Luke Skywalker role leaving a desolate planet to discover she has "the force" and then going on a journey of discovery, etc. Luke will be her Yoda apparently.

We also have the whole dark side thing once again plaguing the family of Luke, Han and Leia. This family really needs to stop having kids. Seems like a 50/50 chance of somebody becoming a Darth Vader every time.

Then there was Snoke. For the evil, super baddie it has hard not to laugh at Snoke. Palpatine was a huge disappointment in The Empire Strikes Back as Vader's master but at least he wasn't laughable. They regurgitated a bunch of other elements from the original film rather than come up with new material so I was mostly just bored.

About the only thing I enjoyed was the roar of the Tie fighters. Whoever came up with that sound effect for the 1977 film was a genius. I'm glad this generation of kids has a decent Star Wars film to watch and I figure it's for them, not me. And after the three horribly bad prequels, and the rape of the original films with the Lucas restoration editions this one will seem like a masterpiece.

But I'll probably never watch it again. I will continue to watch the original trilogy from time to time, but mostly just the first film. Even with The Empire Strikes Back things started to get silly, with Return of the Jedi the only thing worth watching is Leia in the bikini get up. It was also sad to see her this old, she really was cute back then, even with that stupid cinnamon bun hairdo.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-17-16, 23:22
But I'll probably never watch it again. I will continue to watch the original trilogy from time to time, but mostly just the first film. Even with The Empire Strikes Back things started to get silly, with Return of the Jedi the only thing worth watching is Leia in the bikini get up. It was also sad to see her this old, she really was cute back then, even with that stupid cinnamon bun hairdo.

I'm still more of ANH than ESB. Just got to respect that ANH was so unlike anything else out there and the whole thing could of ended there- ESB started the whole "it's a universe and we need to keep making sequels" BS that we have been stuck in for the past 30 years. ANH is "It's a great story" to ESB's "It's complicated".

Leia in TFA cured me of the whole bikini thing.

Rouge One: Anyone you don't recognize, dies.

Moose-Knuckle
05-18-16, 02:43
Yeah that Rogue One Visual Guide got leaked! It wasn't supposed to come out until AFTER the film's release due to all the spoilers lol.

Boba Fett v2
05-18-16, 08:03
Yeah that Rogue One Visual Guide got leaked! It wasn't supposed to come out until AFTER the film's release due to all the spoilers lol.

Well, not necessarily according to the article....

"A 10-page preview of the Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: The Official Visual Story Guide was released in the Edelweiss catalog as part of a Macmillan Winter 2016 preview (Thanks to jedi-bibliothek.de and Slashfilm for all the details).

The following preview images contain new character names and information for all the main characters, along with info on new vehicles from both the Rebellion and the Empire, and more.

Since this book is being promoted almost six months prior to the movie's release, the info given in the preview images isn't spoilers. But if you rather not know anything more about this movie, then avoid reading further.

The book is 164 pages, priced at $24.99 and will be released on January 24, 2017. You can pre-order The Official Visual Story Guide book here (http://www.amazon.com/Rogue-One-Story-Official-Visual/dp/1942556411/).

This is different from the Star Wars Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide book by Pablo Hidalgo."

Big A
05-18-16, 09:02
Ugh...

I don't like the introduction of new starfighter types. If they didn't have it at the Battle of Yavin it doesn't need to be in this movie. It's bad enough with the new trooper types that weren't in any of the other movies.

Boba Fett v2
05-18-16, 09:21
Ugh...

I don't like the introduction of new starfighter types. If they didn't have it at the Battle of Yavin it doesn't need to be in this movie. It's bad enough with the new trooper types that weren't in any of the other movies.

As long as they stay within a similar design construct I don't mind it. It's reasonable to assume that the Rebels had other ships/vessels that are more or less obsolete and dated, and didn't necessarily maintain all their forces in one location. It's a big galaxy with thousands of Star Systems, and we only got a glimpse of what the Star Wars galaxy looked like in ANH, which was fleshed out in subsequent films and stories. With regards to the new Stormtroopers, same deal. We got snow troopers and AT-AT drivers in ESP, and scout troopers, and royal guards in ROTJ. And we learned there are other types that existed from the Clone Wars. In ANH we only got to see the standard garrison troopers on the Death Star, and a small contingent of troopers on Tatooine, and TIE pilots, so it would make sense that other specialty troopers like the hover tank troopers and dark troopers (special ops?) were out conducting real-world operations like security patrols on planets under Imperial control.

nml
05-18-16, 14:04
https://cdn.flutter.co/pulse/uploads/diumbZAQmuKFvS5uRLvG_Rogue_One_Visual_Story_Book_cover.jpgShe must be using the force to fire her pistol.

Firefly
05-18-16, 14:21
Ugh...

The battle of Yavin was a big fight and we focused on the main characters. If this movie is taking the approach I'm hoping (an unsung heroes aspect) then different gear wouldn't be an issue. Some starfighters may have either been too obsolete or too new.

Like Vietnam War movies make you think everyone just toted M16A1s when some more far out guys had Stoner 63s or M14s

Boba Fett v2
05-18-16, 15:17
The battle of Yavin was a big fight and we focused on the main characters. If this movie is taking the approach I'm hoping (an unsung heroes aspect) then different gear wouldn't be an issue. Some starfighters may have either been too obsolete or too new.

Like Vietnam War movies make you think everyone just toted M16A1s when some more far out guys had Stoner 63s or M14s

Precisely. Look no further than our own modern day armed forces to see a lot variances. Tank, Bradley and Stryker crews don't look like regular ground troops. Marines and Regular Army don't share the same vehicles, uniform or weapons (although the Marines have recently decided to go all M4, but will take a while for full implementation). Mounted vs. dismounted reconnaissance elements, sniper teams, Special Forces, SMUs, etc. I think RO attempts to capture these variations while continuing to remind us that we've only begun to scratch the surface of the vast Star Wars universe and it's military fighting forces as a whole.

Big A
05-19-16, 10:32
As long as they stay within a similar design construct I don't mind it. It's reasonable to assume that the Rebels had other ships/vessels that are more or less obsolete and dated, and didn't necessarily maintain all their forces in one location. It's a big galaxy with thousands of Star Systems, and we only got a glimpse of what the Star Wars galaxy looked like in ANH, which was fleshed out in subsequent films and stories. With regards to the new Stormtroopers, same deal. We got snow troopers and AT-AT drivers in ESP, and scout troopers, and royal guards in ROTJ. And we learned there are other types that existed from the Clone Wars. In ANH we only got to see the standard garrison troopers on the Death Star, and a small contingent of troopers on Tatooine, and TIE pilots, so it would make sense that other specialty troopers like the hover tank troopers and dark troopers (special ops?) were out conducting real-world operations like security patrols on planets under Imperial control.

That's my whole point. If it was a bunch of Advanced TIE's ( The Inquisitor's TIE's from Star Wars Rebels) or TIE Advanced X1's (Darth Vader's from ANH) I could buy it. But it is a new design never before seen and seemingly implied to be better than the standard TIE so where were they in defense of the Death Star at the Battle of Yavin? I could accept a bunch of TIE Interceptors but I'm having a harder time with a new, never before seen design that was never seen again either. Same goes for the new Death Troopers. If they're supposed to be some sorts of bad ass Diagona eating pipe hitters where were they during the Battle of Endor? To quote the Emperor "An entire legion of my best troops awaits them." and they lost to a bunch of teddy bears.

Snowtroopers are just Stormtroopers in cold weather gear and Scout troopers are stormtroopers with a special set of mission parameters so no big deal there for me.

I could buy the Rebellion using a bunch of surplus ARC-170's, Z95 Headunters, V-Wings, etc. But a ship we never saw before and never see again (new U-Wing) I'm still having a hard time with. Maybe if it is the personal ship of one of the new characters or a one off prototype that gets destroyed I could accept but otherwise it makes no sense.

Mauser KAR98K
05-19-16, 20:05
That new TIE Fighter reminds me of the cloak-Tie Fighter from Star Wars Rebel Assault 2.

Koshinn
05-19-16, 20:16
Ugh...

Its already established that the rebellion was broken into cells before Yavin and that even they lost the battle, the Rebellion would actually go on. They mention that the entire fleet has gathered in Ep6. Plus, it's not like they suddenly designed and produced built B-Wings, A-Wings, MC80 Star Cruisers, and Nebulon-B frigates between the destruction of Echo base and Endor.

B and A wings existed before Yavin, but weren't shown because a different rebel cell used them as seen in Rebels. It's not a stretch at all to think that they'd have more than two cells, one of which having a so far unseen fighter.

As for the new TIE, it's supposedly an atmospheric-centric fighter with some space capability, which is the opposite of pretty much every other starfighter. And since we don't often see atmospheric dogfights in that era, it's not unreasonable that it exists.

Firefly
05-19-16, 20:23
I still want to see a Stormtrooper movie done in the vein of Platoon and maybe a Rebel movie done like Red Dawn.

Nothing but gritty bleeding edge combat. Troopers being treated less like Space Nazis and more like a grizzled line outfit. Maybe a few Clone troops left over who are older and bitter.

A real gritty, apolitical war tale. Like you can tell who's who by the saltiness of their armor. Old dudes who fought at Kashyyyk wearing some left over woodland gear, guys with some time in country wearing dingy off white armor and FNGs looking like they bleed white out.

The Rebels are desperate and vicious. Taking help from criminals and fiends. Insurgent attacks.

Maybe just one big epic movie like We Were Soldiers but a lot darker. No real good guys. You admire the Stormtroopers because they are soldiers. You admire the rebels because they are fighting a desperate resistance.

John Milius or Oliver Stone should direct.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-19-16, 21:04
Oliver Stone directs 'Any Given Star System'.

Boba Fett v2
05-20-16, 23:17
Victory at Hoth.

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/1314/GPJe6v.jpg

Big A
06-30-16, 20:04
Don't know if you guys saw this yet, Forrest Whitaker is playing Saw Guerra a character from The Clone Wars cartoon.

Here's some more info about it:http://makingstarwars.net/2016/06/forest-whitaker-is-playing-saw-gerrera-in-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/22/star-wars-rogue-one-forest-whitaker-character

I think this a cool decision to connect the canon EU to a movie.

What do my fellow nerds think?

MountainRaven
06-30-16, 22:52
About damned time they attempted to unify the films with the other media.

(Seems to be a problem they have with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, too.)

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-30-16, 23:18
I'm tired of Universes and franchises. Just tell a good story, with characters I feel connected to and a boob here and there. There didn't need to be a sequel to 'Usual Suspects', "Way of the Gun', 'Ronin' or 'Heat'.

I feel like the next movie in the Bourne series should be "Bourne: Overreach".

streck
07-01-16, 10:09
I feel like the next movie in the Bourne series should be "Bourne: Overreach".

Borne: **** My Knees Hurt

Big A
07-15-16, 22:00
You guys are slackin...

https://youtu.be/HUb_zpdyDpU

Moose-Knuckle
07-16-16, 04:17
DAAAAAMN, this looks to be E P I C . . . :dance3:

Koshinn
07-16-16, 05:04
I just want a movie about a squad of stormtroopers that rotate to a planet and almost as soon as they get situated, a rebel bomb goes off and kills dozens of workers and their families, along with one of their squad. They spend the rest of the movie hunting down the terrorists and losing men on the way until it's like one on one at the end, and both of them realize that they're both monsters. But they fight anyway.

recon
07-16-16, 10:57
Look forward to this movie! Been a Star Wars fan since the beginning.

MountainRaven
07-16-16, 12:40
I just want a movie about a squad of stormtroopers that rotate to a planet and almost as soon as they get situated, a rebel bomb goes off and kills dozens of workers and their families, along with one of their squad. They spend the rest of the movie hunting down the terrorists and losing men on the way until it's like one on one at the end, and both of them realize that they're both monsters. But they fight anyway.

No. I am Firefly!

RazorBurn
07-16-16, 13:20

No. I am Firefly!

Star Wars: The Firefly Chronicles

Koshinn
07-16-16, 13:26
Wait was that the plot of firefly? I haven't seen it in like a decade

Big A
07-16-16, 13:37
https://youtu.be/xmXp802sFgQ

Holy hell! I'm a little disappointed that they didn't let Zahn reintroduce him in a book but I'm glad he's there.

Also spotted a YT-2400, the Outrider maybe (Dash Rendar from Shadows of the Empire)?

And a question for the mods, could this thread and The Force Awakens thread be merged into just The Official Star Wars Thread? There is going to be a lot going on with Star Wars in the immediate future so it just kinda makes sense to me.

Koshinn
07-16-16, 13:39
There is going to be a lot going on with Star Wars in the immediate future so it just kinda makes sense to me.

Or give us a subforum!

But yeah, I saw the Thrawn and yt-2400 too. Pretty neat. Also Ezra going dark side is awesome. Also Wedge.

RazorBurn
07-16-16, 13:42
Wait was that the plot of firefly? I haven't seen it in like a decade

Firefly has been pushing for a Stormtrooper themed plot (like the one you posted) for months.

I still want to see a Stormtrooper movie done in the vein of Platoon and maybe a Rebel movie done like Red Dawn.

Nothing but gritty bleeding edge combat. Troopers being treated less like Space Nazis and more like a grizzled line outfit. Maybe a few Clone troops left over who are older and bitter.

A real gritty, apolitical war tale. Like you can tell who's who by the saltiness of their armor. Old dudes who fought at Kashyyyk wearing some left over woodland gear, guys with some time in country wearing dingy off white armor and FNGs looking like they bleed white out.

The Rebels are desperate and vicious. Taking help from criminals and fiends. Insurgent attacks.

Maybe just one big epic movie like We Were Soldiers but a lot darker. No real good guys. You admire the Stormtroopers because they are soldiers. You admire the rebels because they are fighting a desperate resistance.

John Milius or Oliver Stone should direct.

RazorBurn
07-16-16, 13:43
Or give us a subforum!

But yeah, I saw the Thrawn and yt-2400 too. Pretty neat. Also Ezra going dark side is awesome. Also Wedge.

Ezra going dark side was obvious from the first episode.

Koshinn
07-16-16, 13:44
Firefly has been pushing for a Stormtrooper themed plot (like the one you posted) for months.

oooo completely forgot x.x

MountainRaven
07-16-16, 18:14
Or give us a subforum!

Also squints (well before Hoth). Or maybe they might be Avengers. But I'm betting they're Interceptors. Or prototype Interceptors.

Also-also: Y-Wings!

oooo completely forgot x.x

:p

Big A
07-16-16, 19:56
Also squints (well before Hoth). Or maybe they might be Avengers. But I'm betting they're Interceptors. Or prototype Interceptors.

Also-also: Y-Wings!

:p
I'm not tracking here...?

Big A
07-16-16, 20:05
I saw red stripes on those interceptors. 181st? Baron Soontir Fel? We know how Filoni likes to pull from the old canon.

MountainRaven
07-16-16, 22:32
I'm not tracking here...?

In old EU, TIE Interceptors weren't introduced until after the Battle of Hoth.

Big A
07-16-16, 22:52
Well yeah, neither were "A-wings".

MountainRaven
07-16-16, 22:57

The canon is dead. Long live the canon!

Big A
07-16-16, 23:11
The canon is dead. Long live the canon!
Agreed.

I'm just a little pissed that they haven't brought Timothy Zahn on to write a novel or series of novels but they're using his biggest character. I feel they owe it to him since he established the old EU so it could flourish the way it did. I honestly feel he should have had first "dibs" if you will when Disney did away with the old EU. I mean I'm excited to see Thrawn finally visualized but I feel like they're using him without Zahn's blessing. And since this Captain/Admiral Sloane is playing a big part in the new canon I think she should appear in Rebels.

Thoughts?

MountainRaven
07-16-16, 23:19
Agreed.

I'm just a little pissed that they haven't brought Timothy Zahn on to write a novel or series of novels but they're using his biggest character. I feel they owe it to him since he established the old EU so it could flourish the way it did. I honestly feel he should have had first "dibs" if you will when Disney did away with the old EU. I mean I'm excited to see Thrawn finally visualized but I feel like they're using him without Zahn's blessing. And since this Captain/Admiral Sloane is playing a big part in the new canon I think she should appear in Rebels.

Thoughts?

I believe that part of the big news today is that Timothy Zahn is going to be writing for Thrawn in the new canon.

I'm not sure if it's going to be a book or multiple books or comics or the TV show or some combination.

Koshinn
07-16-16, 23:23

Yeah but I like the new explanation.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that found it weird that A-Wings and B-Wings were developed and fielded in the couple months between ESB and ROTJ, right?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_1:_In_the_Shadow_of_Yavin,_Part_1

They were apparently introduced just after Yavin, but were in development before Yavin.

Big A
07-16-16, 23:33
I believe that part of the big news today is that Timothy Zahn is going to be writing for Thrawn in the new canon.

I'm not sure if it's going to be a book or multiple books or comics or the TV show or some combination.
Well that's cool. I hadn't heard anything official, just that they had been in talks to do a book(s?). I still think Zahn should have been given the reigns for the first novel instead of that crap book Aftermath by Wendig. I've heard great reviews for Life Debt but I am leery.

I'm sure my feelings on this are because I had a lot invested in the old canon.

Yeah but I like the new explanation.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that found it weird that A-Wings and B-Wings were developed and fielded in the couple months between ESB and ROTJ, right?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_1:_In_the_Shadow_of_Yavin,_Part_1

They were apparently introduced just after Yavin, but were in development before Yavin.
I love what Filoni is doing with Rebels.

When I was old enough to start thinking about the appearance of A & B-wings I just kinda chalked it up to some other part of the galaxy offering up what they had to fight the Empire.

Big A
07-17-16, 19:40
According to Filoni the YT-2400 we see is not the Outrider. The person who designed the ship for the game works on the show so he let her bring the design in.

And he also said there is no plans to bring in Mara Jade.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/16/star-wars-rebels-resurrects-grand-admiral-thrawn

Firefly
07-17-16, 21:22
Mara Jade was/is awesome.

Give us the Star Wars we deserve: Bikini armor, automatic death rays, planets exploding, dogfights with spaceships, droids, and bad asses.

Leave the bicurious, non-trans fat BS to the Trekkies.

In fact, kick a Trekkie in the balls until we get Mara Jade!

RazorBurn
07-17-16, 23:13

Give us the Star Wars we deserve: Bikini armor, automatic death rays, planets exploding, dogfights with spaceships, droids, and bad asses.

Hellz Yeah!

First one's for Firefly

This one's for Boba Fett v2

Big A
07-18-16, 18:31

I was sure that Filoni was gonna bring her in as an inquisitor in Rebels, but alas I guess not.

Maybe Zahn will get to write her in a novel and we'll find out that she is Rey's mother in Ep 8 or 9...

I still have hope.

Firefly
07-18-16, 18:48
Mara Jade, to me, is like Calamity Jane of Star Wars. While I'm sure she's warmed a few beds, I don't see her as having kids

ETA Actually Calamity Jane did have two kids but you know what I mean

Big A
07-18-16, 20:14
But in the old EU she and Luke have a child.

Big A
08-09-16, 18:58
Ima jus lee dis herr...

https://youtu.be/2BDyeARyIkw

Firefly
08-09-16, 20:18
A topic I care about. Yes. I can't wait.

AT-AT MOUT combat, no Jedi Voodoo, just guts and blasters

Koshinn
08-09-16, 22:12
Ima jus lee dis herr...

https://youtu.be/2BDyeARyIkw

That's a trailer for a trailer for a movie.

Boba Fett v2
08-09-16, 22:18
Cool ship. We really need another full blown trailer though.

Big A
08-09-16, 22:25
That's a trailer for a trailer for a movie.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160810/363057179a279e6c738bd68cc2cef845.jpg

They're supposed to air the new trailer Thursday during the Olympics.

cougar_guy04
08-09-16, 22:27

They're saying there is going to be one during the Olympic coverage on Thursday during prime time.

nimdabew
08-10-16, 03:34
When I was old enough to start thinking about the appearance of A & B-wings I just kinda chalked it up to some other part of the galaxy offering up what they had to fight the Empire.

The A-Wings and B-Bings that you saw were probably R22's and the first generation of B-Wings that had a single pilot in them. They were in production at the beginning of the rebellion, but weren't iconic as the X-Wing since the rebels stole the plans for the X-Wing.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/R-22_Spearhead

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A/SF-01_B-wing_starfighter/Legends

Big A
08-10-16, 11:34
A topic I care about. Yes. I can't wait.

AT-AT MOUT combat, no Jedi Voodoo, just guts and blasters

Google "Jedha" if you don't care about spoilers.

Big A
08-11-16, 21:50
Check out @starwars's Tweet: https://twitter.com/starwars/status/763927709521018880?s=09

Here it is on Twitter. Can't find it on the YouTubes yet

Big A
08-11-16, 21:52
https://youtu.be/frdj1zb9sMY

Here it is.

Koshinn
08-11-16, 22:43
https://i.imgur.com/6KASD1Y.png

jpmuscle
08-11-16, 22:52
So excited so excited

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-11-16, 22:57
Getting harder to believe that they are going to screw this up.....

Koshinn
08-12-16, 01:30
Getting harder to believe that they are going to screw this up.....

I've been burned by great trailers before. I don't doubt it will happen again.

But yeah, it looks great.

Moose-Knuckle
08-12-16, 04:24
Saw it after Phelps won . . . again.

Looks fantastic and Vader totally stole the show at the end.

Big A
08-12-16, 06:59
I've been burned by great trailers before. I don't doubt it will happen again.

But yeah, it looks great.
I think it will be great. I think that for fans like us that want to hear other stories from this universe it will be better than TFA.

The real trick for Disney is to get casual fans that only know who Luke and Leia are to buy into a story that takes place before the original films.

Ryno12
08-12-16, 07:30
In regard to Vader:

Darth Vader will be back. Several performers will stand in as the villain on set, while James Earl Jones will reprise his voice role. "He will be in the movie sparingly," Kennedy said. "But at a key, strategic moment, he's going to loom large."

http://m.eonline.com/news/787063/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-tv-spot-5-things-to-know-about-the-movie

Can never have enough Vader.
...or Metallica. [emoji41]

https://youtu.be/iZz6_1dC3b0

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-12-16, 08:00
I still worry that there is some clause deep in a contract that lets Lucas have final edit rights, and he inserts Jar Jar Binks into this at the last minute.

WillBrink
08-12-16, 08:54
Here it is.

Looks great, but the last one looked great and I could not have been more disappointed in the last one. Two, yet another cute chick as the center of the movie 'cuz everyone knows cute chicks make the best warriors. I just can swallow that yet again. Finally, another death star focused movie? Is it that hard to come up with another plot line? Meh.

I'll watch it for sure being Star Wars, but will wait 'till it's on the rental market. Last Star Wars was the first time I'd actually gone to a movie theater in a long time, and I regretted that I had. Fool me once...

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-12-16, 09:11
"another death star focused movie"....

Yep, that's funny.

Falar
08-12-16, 09:12
Looks great, but the last one looked great and I could not have been more disappointed in the last one. Two, yet another cute chick as the center of the movie 'cuz everyone knows cute chicks make the best warriors. I just can swallow that yet again. Finally, another death star focused movie? Is it that hard to come up with another plot line? Meh.

I'll watch it for sure being Star Wars, but will wait 'till it's on the rental market. Last Star Wars was the first time I'd actually gone to a movie theater in a long time, and I regretted that I had. Fool me once...

I still haven't seen the newest one......don't know if I will either.

About 6 weeks before it came out I saw some interview with the casting director talking about her liberal agenda to "make the most inclusive Star Wars movie ever".

Kind of soured me on the whole deal. I wanted to see Star Wars, not Affirmative Action Strikes Back. If I hadn't seen that interview I would have just enjoyed the movie probably but knowing that's what they did just makes me sick.

I feel bad for the all the people who read and really like the post-episode VI stuff that's been around a long time that has now been retconned out under Disney.

WillBrink
08-12-16, 09:18

About 6 weeks before it came out I saw some interview with the casting director talking about her liberal agenda to "make the most inclusive Star Wars movie ever".

Kind of soured me on the whole deal. I wanted to see Star Wars, not Affirmative Action Strikes Back. If I hadn't seen that interview I would have just enjoyed the movie probably but knowing that's what they did just makes me sick.

I feel bad for the all the people who read and really like the post-episode VI stuff that's been around a long time that has now been retconned out under Disney.

The last movie was a big mess on pretty much all levels. I had hoped that with a new directer - who I thought did an excellent job with recent Star Trek movies - the last Star Wars would be similar to the first three. It was not. It was a movie by committee and PC infected disaster. Worth a rental if you're a fan of the series and genre, sure. Paying to sit in a movie theater, no.

Falar
08-12-16, 09:22
The last movie was a big mess on pretty much all levels. I had hoped that with a new directer - who I thought did an excellent job with recent Star Trek movies - the last Star Wars would be similar to the first three. It was not. It was a movie by committee and PC infected disaster. Worth a rental if you're a fan of the series and genre, sure. Paying to sit in a movie theater, no.

Over the top PC huh? ****ing shame.

George Lucas was not the best with dialog but damn, at least he made the movies he wanted to make without trying to PC us all to death. Unlike many I actually liked the newer three movies mostly due to the quality of the action and could live with the stiff dialog.

WillBrink
08-12-16, 09:31
Over the top PC huh? ****ing shame.

George Lucas was not the best with dialog but damn, at least he made the movies he wanted to make without trying to PC us all to death. Unlike many I actually liked the newer three movies mostly due to the quality of the action and could live with the stiff dialog.

It was girl power Hunger Games meets Star Wars. Even the bad guy was a metro sexual type with millennial angst and all. Seeing the original cast was fun, but they phoned in their performance and couldn't have looked less interested in being in the movie. I have a full review on M4C some place.

Koshinn
08-12-16, 10:32
Two, yet another cute chick as the center of the movie 'cuz everyone knows cute chicks make the best warriors. I just can swallow that yet again.

They never show her fight. Which is irrelevant, because there's no reason the center of the movie has to be the best fighter in the cast of characters.

Also, would you rather it be an ugly chick? Or do you just really really want a male?

WillBrink
08-12-16, 11:07
They never show her fight. Which is irrelevant, because there's no reason the center of the movie has to be the best fighter in the cast of characters.

Also, would you rather it be an ugly chick? Or do you just really really want a male?

Get with modern time bro. You know i wanna see cross gender man who turned into a woman then back into a man who was once black but now Asian.

http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/43/89/8f2e0011ae1d4feeff90325c20cb345d.jpg

WickedWillis
08-12-16, 11:18
New trailer was so good.

Big A
08-12-16, 12:10

Just curious, you do understand where Rouge One falls in the time line, right?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=161628

^There's the thread on The Force Awakens if you would like to read it and decide for yourself if you want to watch the movie.

Was it perfect? Nope. Not even close. The plot was lazy. It was a rehash of A New Hope.

But it did have things going for it that to me made it worthwhile.
1. A return to practical effects. People were in costumes/makeup, the sets were built instead of just green screen CGI bukkake. (With the one exception of the Rathtar scene.)

2. It made me feel just like I did when I watched the original trilogy. It had that Force magic that you just can't explain. But hey, maybe I'm a weak minded fool.

3. The script and dialogue flowed with the movie instead of just being dragged kicking and screaming behind a truck down a rough road like that of the prequels.

To me it redeemed the abominations that are the prequels and brought the franchise back to where it should be and hopefully leads only good things from here on out.

YMMV.

WillBrink
08-12-16, 12:26
Just curious, you do understand where Rouge One falls in the time line, right?

Yes. Don't care at this point. They need a new formula.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=161628

^There's the thread on The Force Awakens if you would like to read it and decide for yourself if you want to watch the movie.

Per my comments, saw it, was totally let down by it, will not see this latest one in a movie theater due to it. I posted a full review of The Force Awakens on m4C. Not the worst in the franchise to be sure, but literally a remake of the early movies minus the fun.

JC5188
08-12-16, 13:25
Get with modern time bro. You know i wanna see cross gender man who turned into a woman then back into a man who was once black but now Asian.

http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/43/89/8f2e0011ae1d4feeff90325c20cb345d.jpg

Lol, the chick behind him...

Big A
08-12-16, 16:44
Yes. Don't care at this point. They need a new formula.

Per my comments, saw it, was totally let down by it, will not see this latest one in a movie theater due to it. I posted a full review of The Force Awakens on m4C. Not the worst in the franchise to be sure, but literally a remake of the early movies minus the fun.

Ok, I figured you did but I've had people be confused thinking that Rey got recast and why is there a Death Star, etc. The second part of my post was for Falar, I knew you weren't a big fan of TFA.

And I'm more excited about Rouge One than I was for TFA and was from the moment I learned they were doing this story which was before TFA was released.

Falar
08-12-16, 16:50
Ok, I figured you did but I've had people be confused thinking that Rey got recast and why is there a Death Star, etc. The second part of my post was for Falar, I knew you weren't a big fan of TFA.

And I'm more excited about Rouge One than I was for TFA and was from the moment I learned they were doing this story which was before TFA was released.

It's about to be on HBO, so if I'm bored and its on I'll check it out. Pretty sure I will hate it though. Definitely won't be adding it to the collection like the others.

Koshinn
08-12-16, 16:57
They need a new formula.

It seems like a completely different formula that happens to take place right before another movie.

The formula you speak of is, I'm assuming, is the coming-of-age story of a force user (Luke, Anakin, Rey) that picks up a mentor (Kenobi, Qui-Gon, Han), a couple of friends (Leia/Han, Padme/Obi-Wan, Finn/Poe), a ridiculous droid or two that are silly yet seem to solve pretty much all problems (R2/3P0, R2, BB-8), and more or less blows up the big bad enemy piece of technology (Death Star, Trade Federation Droid Control Battleship, Starkiller Base)?

Rogue One seems more like a group of misfits without any force users that steal some plans. It more closely aligns with a heist movie set in the Star Wars universe than the classic hero story that previous movies followed. It happens to have a Death Star, but it doesn't play the same dramatic role. It also happens to have Star Destroyers, TIE Fighters, Stormtroopers, and Darth Vader.

Big A
08-12-16, 20:39
So I went back and watched the first teaser trailer and the new trailer and Saw Guerra (Forrest Whitaker) is bald and clean shaven in the first one and in the new one he looks like he's homeless. I wonder if that has to do with all the reshoots and he was preparing for another movie role.

Also there are fan theories that Cassian Andor and Jyn Erso are based on Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors which could be interesting.

Firefly
08-12-16, 22:33
Seeing dude AT4 an AT AT in the frickin' head points to this being bad ass. No Hokey religions. No Politics. Just a ragtag band of misfits going all Viet Cong on the Empire

Moose-Knuckle
08-13-16, 05:15
In regard to Vader:

Darth Vader will be back. Several performers will stand in as the villain on set, while James Earl Jones will reprise his voice role. "He will be in the movie sparingly," Kennedy said. "But at a key, strategic moment, he's going to loom large."

Apparently Dave Prowse, has been black listed from the Star Wars franchise and is pissed about not being invited back to play the physical character of Vader as he did in the original trilogy. Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew all have so he's pissed.

I met Mr. Prowse back in '99, dude is H U G E . . . was nice as hell to me.

Moose-Knuckle
08-13-16, 05:25
Seeing dude AT4 an AT AT in the frickin' head points to this being bad ass. No Hokey religions. No Politics. Just a ragtag band of misfits going all Viet Cong on the Empire

That Imperial Walker scene gave me the thrills, I love their blasters sound effects. Them and the Tie Fighters have the best sound effects.

JC5188
08-13-16, 09:21
Apparently Dave Prowse, has been black listed from the Star Wars franchise and is pissed about not being invited back to play the physical character of Vader as he did in the original trilogy. Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew all have so he's pissed.

I met Mr. Prowse back in '99, dude is H U G E . . . was nice as hell to me.

6'6 I believe at the time.

He's 81 years old and supposedly only 6'2 now due to various surgeries and age.

Can't wait for this movie. I think the timeline is going to put it concurrent with part of ep 3.

ETA...and I really dig the cute heroine, personally. Has a young "Rosanna Arquette" thing going on. But then, I'm a sucker for a chick with a slight overbite.

Big A
08-13-16, 09:48
Can't wait for this movie. I think the timeline is going to put it concurrent with part of ep 3.

Rouge One is about 19 years after Revenge of the Sith. There is Internet rumors that it will end with the rebels transmitting the stolen plans to the Tantive IV.

JC5188
08-13-16, 15:04
Rouge One is about 19 years after Revenge of the Sith. There is Internet rumors that it will end with the rebels transmitting the stolen plans to the Tantive IV.

Gotcha. I actually meant ep IV, but didn't know for sure.

Big A
08-13-16, 18:31
Kenny Baker, the man who brought R2-D2 to life has passed away at age 81.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/13/entertainment/actor-kenny-baker-dies/

Ryno12
08-13-16, 18:39

That's so weird, I was just Googling him (and the rest of the original cast) this morning.

Firefly
08-13-16, 18:50

That sucks man.

OH58D
08-13-16, 22:58
Who would have thought Star Wars could last this long? Last week I was showing my 17 year old son my collection of LP Records, and I pulled out a mint condition dual LP Star Wars Soundtrack from 1977. It still has the folded poster and insert of musical performers and instruments. He went online and told me it was worth over $200. I asked him if he wanted to sell it. His response: "No way...." He's a Star Wars geek.

Moose-Knuckle
08-14-16, 01:58
6'6 I believe at the time.

He's 81 years old and supposedly only 6'2 now due to various surgeries and age.

Not doubt he is old, they all are now. Peter Mayhew aka Chewbacca lives not far from me and he barely gets around on a cain but he still got to play Chewy again. Doubt if he will be casted in the Han stand alone film however. Prowse asserts he is still in good enough health to suit up and stand in scenes, there won't be a lot of Vader action shots in this film and probably none ever again.

What are the chances . . . I just mentioned him in post #208 above!

Moose-Knuckle
08-14-16, 02:01
As someone who is so over superhero movies . . .

https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8356/28969629155_63e79df07f_b.jpg

:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CehVgQ43pn0

JC5188
08-14-16, 05:36
Not doubt he is old, they all are now. Peter Mayhew aka Chewbacca lives not far from me and he barely gets around on a cain but he still got to play Chewy again. Doubt if he will be casted in the Han stand alone film however. Prowse asserts he is still in good enough health to suit up and stand in scenes, there won't be a lot of Vader action shots in this film and probably none ever again.

What are the chances . . . I just mentioned him in post #208 above!

That wouldn't surprise me about Prowse...he's an old bodybuilder and prob still in good shape.

Mayhew could lose a few inches and still be tall as an oak...

Ryno12
08-14-16, 07:13
Prowse hasn't played Vader since the original trilogy. Apparently there's a rift between Prowse & Lucas from years ago when, among other things, Prowse leaked details of Vader being Luke's father. There's other issues that led up to Prowse not returning as Vader. Supposedly, Prowse was also a bad swordsman and needed his own stuntman.
I'm guessing that since his memory is shot & he needs crutches or a wheelchair to get around (both his own admissions) might also have something to do with him not getting the latest part. [emoji6]

Additional reading here (https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/858204/star-wars-week-why-the-original-darth-vader-is-still-furious-with-george-lucas/).

Big A
08-14-16, 08:54
It doesn't matter what ape they find to put in the suit. The only part that matters is the man doing the voice. He is irreplaceable.

Quiet
08-14-16, 09:30
So I went back and watched the first teaser trailer and the new trailer and Saw Guerra (Forrest Whitaker) is bald and clean shaven in the first one and in the new one he looks like he's homeless. I wonder if that has to do with all the reshoots and he was preparing for another movie role.
His appearance is also different from when they first introduced the character in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars cartoon series (S5E2 thru S5E5).
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/51b3dc8ee4b051b96ceb10de/t/576add0af5e23162a7a2c8c9/1466621200121/?format=750w

Quiet
08-14-16, 09:34
It doesn't matter what ape they find to put in the suit. The only part that matters is the man doing the voice. He is irreplaceable.

James Earl Jones is still doing the voice for Darth Vader. (he is listed on IMDB as voice actor for Darth Vader for the Rogue One movie)
He's also been doing the voice acting for Darth Vader in the Star Wars: Rebels cartoon series (S1 thru S3).

Big A
08-14-16, 09:49
His appearance is also different from when they first introduced the character in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars cartoon series (S5E2 thru S5E5).
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/51b3dc8ee4b051b96ceb10de/t/576add0af5e23162a7a2c8c9/1466621200121/?format=750w
Well he has aged since then, lol. Don't know how ones eyes go from green to brown though. There's a fan theory that he's been severely injured like Vader and has to have that suit to live (note the hose with oxygen mask.)

James Earl Jones is still doing the voice for Darth Vader. (he is listed on IMDB as voice actor for Darth Vader for the Rogue One movie)
He's also been doing the voice acting for Darth Vader in the Star Wars: Rebels cartoon series (S1 thru S3).
Yes, I know. And that's all that matters when it comes to the role, any ape can walk and swing a stick and such. Billy Dee Williams also did the voice of Lando in Rebels too.

Ryno12
08-14-16, 10:09
Yes, I know. And that's all that matters when it comes to the role, any ape can walk and swing a stick and such. Billy Dee Williams also did the voice of Lando in Rebels too.

Yep, if you wear a full face mask in any movie, you're expendable talent. Better do a great job & not piss off those who sign the checks.

Big A
08-14-16, 10:39
Yep, if you wear a full face mask in any movie, you're expendable talent. Better do a great job & not piss off those who sign the checks.
Bingo. There were rumors it was gonna be Hayden Christiansen in the suit and people were complaining all over the web about it.

As long as the person can swing a stick to chop down some Rebel Scum while James Earl Jones does the dialogue it'll be all good.

MountainRaven
08-14-16, 13:11
Honestly, I don't think Vader will be swinging a lightsaber. I think he's going to be force choking folks. Reason being that he didn't ignite his lightsaber in A New Hope until he confronted Obi-Wan.

Big A
08-14-16, 14:06
Honestly, I don't think Vader will be swinging a lightsaber. I think he's going to be force choking folks. Reason being that he didn't ignite his lightsaber in A New Hope until he confronted Obi-Wan.

https://youtu.be/XVCtkzIXYzQ

MountainRaven
08-14-16, 14:30
In fact, I don't think Vader (once he has the black suit) has ever ignited his lightsaber except when dealing with someone else with a lightsaber. Even in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, he doesn't ignite his lightsaber under after Luke has ignited his. When Han draws his blaster, Vader just soaks the blasts rather than draw his lightsaber.

I haven't seen the second season of Rebels, so that may have changed.

If we were talking about Anakin Skywalker, yeah, we'd be getting lightsaber-choppy-death and lots of it. But then again, Anakin would have been the first one through the door boarding the Tantive IV, while Vader didn't board until the Tantive was almost secured. Anakin would have sprinted through Echo Base, lightsaber lit, cutting down rebel soldiers, Force jumped onto the boarding ramp of the Falcon and taken Han, Leia, Chewie, and C-3PO at sword-point, while Vader took a leisurely stroll through the base with his PSD. Anakin would have used his lightsaber to deflect Han's blaster bolts in Cloud City rather than absorbing them with his hand.

&c. &c. &c.

Point being that Vader's presence is supposed to be a pretty big, "Oshi-!" all by itself and the use of his lightsaber means that you've gone from being in a world of shit to being totally f___ed. And since Vader isn't facing anybody remotely as powerful as he is in Rogue One (and may not even directly face them), I don't think we're going to see the red lightsaber blade in Rogue One. Maybe on (or rather in) Chirrut Imwe (Donnie Yen, the blind dude who cannot use the Force but has a religious devotion to it), just for ultimate, "Where is your god now?" points. But otherwise? I don't think it's likely.

Big A
08-14-16, 15:04
In fact, I don't think Vader (once he has the black suit) has ever ignited his lightsaber except when dealing with someone else with a lightsaber. Even in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, he doesn't ignite his lightsaber under after Luke has ignited his. When Han draws his blaster, Vader just soaks the blasts rather than draw his lightsaber.

If we were talking about Anakin Skywalker, yeah, we'd be getting lightsaber-choppy-death and lots of it. But then again, Anakin would have been the first one through the door boarding the Tantive IV, while Vader didn't board until the Tantive was almost secured. Anakin would have sprinted through Echo Base, lightsaber lit, cutting down rebel soldiers, Force jumped onto the boarding ramp of the Falcon and taken Han, Leia, Chewie, and C-3PO at sword-point, while Vader took a leisurely stroll through the base with his PSD. Anakin would have used his lightsaber to deflect Han's blaster bolts in Cloud City rather than absorbing them with his hand.

&c. &c. &c.

Point being that Vader's presence is supposed to be a pretty big, "Oshi-!" all by itself and the use of his lightsaber means that you've gone from being in a world of shit to being totally f___ed. And since Vader isn't facing anybody remotely as powerful as he is in Rogue One (and may not even directly face them), I don't think we're going to see the red lightsaber blade in Rogue One. Maybe on (or rather in) Chirrut Imwe (Donnie Yen, the blind dude who cannot use the Force but has a religious devotion to it), just for ultimate, "Where is your god now?" points. But otherwise? I don't think it's likely.
In ANH he has no need to ignite his lightsaber on the Tantive IV. His presence is enough to make the viewer of the movie uneasy and know that this is the one dude you don't **** with. And you don't learn what a lightsaber is until Obi-Wan goes "This is your father's lightsaber." And the only member of our merry band of Rebels he encounters on the Death Star is Obi-Wan. If he ran into Luke and the gang I'm sure the crimson blade would appear to dispatch some Imperial justice with a quickness.

In Empire at Echo base he never encountered any rebels that were putting a fight so no need to get his slaughter on. Then Han and crew were needed alive so if he started deflecting blaster bolts around the room he may not have had enough of a trap for Luke. Then when he encounters Luke he knows Luke has had no real sparing against a live opponent so he is a novice going up against a hero of the clone wars who had gone up against the likes of Ventress and Dooku. Vader was toying with Luke.

Koshinn
08-14-16, 18:33

&c. &c. &c.

Anakin would have got to the Falcon just as the boarding ramp closed, jumped on top of it, cut a hole into it, and extracted the crew.

Vader, as of the current comics and books, would have used the force to pull the Falcon back into the hangar and crush it like a can.

jpmuscle
08-17-16, 02:25
Idk how to post a gif but if any of y'all have instagram go to SKDs page and watch this. It's hilarious.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160817/26a28b99658bd2ebd6876d7233b78aca.jpg

Big A
08-17-16, 07:55
Idk how to post a gif but if any of y'all have instagram go to SKDs page and watch this. It's hilarious.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160817/26a28b99658bd2ebd6876d7233b78aca.jpg
That was good. And he's right about the rabbit hole of fan theory videos, lol.

Firefly
08-25-16, 22:07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMmiNeVrbDk

Moose-Knuckle
08-26-16, 01:43
^ love me some Beastie Boys and that just fits perfectly . . .

Moose-Knuckle
09-30-16, 05:02
Well gents it's Rogue Friday . . .

Rogue One toys went on sale "officially" today at 00:00 but I got my wave one figures on Sunday as I pilfered a pallet at one of my local Walmart stores and found an employee who really doesn't like his job.

Pretty cool thus far, lot of mini spoilers on the carded figures and vehicles.

Firefly
09-30-16, 05:33
Not spoiling it. Not really a collector but I kinda want a Jyn Erso and a stealth X Wing (I know it is TFW but it reminds me of doodles I did as a teen during the big wow remaster of ANH before people found out it was lame . Only Han shoots.

I just want a perfect Blu Ray edition of the Original Trilogy without the editing. Even the prequels had some merit. Cut out Midichlorians line and the "virgin birth", cut out the forced "dating" of Anakin and Natalie Portman, DEFINITELY excise the whole "What was your first time?". Gross and BS. Add in some more clone fighting. AOTC was like Black Hawk Down when it got going. ROTS actually was pretty decent. I didnt hate on the NOOOOO bit. It shouldve been angrier though.

I dunno. Prequels were a product of their time. Still had fun. Screw Star Trek

Boba Fett v2
09-30-16, 09:15
Holy shit. It is Force Friday.

Plumber237
09-30-16, 11:45
Not spoiling it. Not really a collector but I kinda want a Jyn Erso and a stealth X Wing (I know it is TFW but it reminds me of doodles I did as a teen during the big wow remaster of ANH before people found out it was lame . Only Han shoots.

I just want a perfect Blu Ray edition of the Original Trilogy without the editing. Even the prequels had some merit. Cut out Midichlorians line and the "virgin birth", cut out the forced "dating" of Anakin and Natalie Portman, DEFINITELY excise the whole "What was your first time?". Gross and BS. Add in some more clone fighting. AOTC was like Black Hawk Down when it got going. ROTS actually was pretty decent. I didnt hate on the NOOOOO bit. It shouldve been angrier though.

I dunno. Prequels were a product of their time. Still had fun. Screw Star Trek

The virgin birth part is pretty important to the whole backstory of Anakin, hinting that he was actually created using the force (whether by Palpatine and/or his master Darth Plagueis (sp?)). The midichlorian part was pretty much so kids and retarded people could understand that he was basically the force incarnate. Remember Palpatine telling Anakin about how strong users could use the force to create life, or save people from dying (which he bought hook, line, and sinker)...apparently he didn't pay any attention to the create life part, as he could've used that gem to deduce who was his mom's "baby daddy".

Firefly
09-30-16, 15:19
Maybe. But it wouldve been better if he were a slave who was just this random bastard child who went from slave to hardcore badass.

Like Scarface

MountainRaven
10-01-16, 00:58
I just realized that the Death Trooper blasters have Troy PDW stocks and SureFire M300 Scout lights on them.

Moose-Knuckle
10-01-16, 04:39
The number two good guy in the film, Captain Cassain Andor's blaster is a freaking AR pistol with no sights and no extension tube.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5456/30005407116_123085e672_z.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5665/29745234280_61b3c4e317_z.jpg

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5014/29411659454_682d053379_b.jpg

Boba Fett v2
10-01-16, 09:59
Ah... sticking with the old tradition of designing prop guns with earthly origins but space-cifying them. I dig it.

MountainRaven
10-01-16, 13:13
The number two good guy in the film, Captain Cassain Andor's blaster is a freaking AR pistol with no sights and no extension tube.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5456/30005407116_123085e672_z.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5665/29745234280_61b3c4e317_z.jpg

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5014/29411659454_682d053379_b.jpg

The thumbs down makes it appear that you don't approve.

You do realize that in the originals, Han Solo was rocking a Mauser C96, Stormtroopers packed Sterling SMGs, Lewis guns, and MG34s, and rebel troopers were running StG-44s and M16s, right? And that the lightsabers were made from camera parts. And the First Order pistols in The Force Awakens are built on Glocks.

Boba Fett v2
10-01-16, 13:17
The thumbs down makes it appear that you don't approve.

You do realize that in the originals, Han Solo was rocking a Mauser C96, Stormtroopers packed Sterling SMGs, Lewis guns, and MG34s, and rebel troopers were running StG-44s and M16s, right? And that the lightsabers were made from camera parts. And the First Order pistols in The Force Awakens are built on Glocks.

And you, my friend, get a thumbs-up for knowing what's up.

MountainRaven
10-01-16, 13:20
Also-also: I'm betting that the blasters used by First Order Stormtroopers will be a linear descendent of the blasters used by Rogue One's Shore Troopers, as they are rocking the same CAA stocks that the First Order Stormtroopers were. Just in all-black instead of in black and white.

Sensei
10-01-16, 14:14
I'm just bummed that even blasters from a galaxy far, far away still require dust covers and a forward assist.

jpmuscle
10-01-16, 16:02
I'm just bummed that even blasters from a galaxy far, far away still require dust covers and a forward assist.
To be fair it was also a long long time ago.

How that plays in with relativity not a clue lol

Sensei
10-01-16, 17:33
To be fair it was also a long long time ago.

How that plays in with relativity not a clue lol

Yeah, but it looks like the Galactic Empire plays the same old nanny state games - notice the neutered 10-round magazine. Millions of light years away and you still can't escape gun control...

Firefly
10-01-16, 17:44
I have no problem with the AR pistol.

I wish I were a prop guy. I'd smuggle Vera into Star Wars.

This is why Star Wars rules.
No BS Dust busters or remote controls like Star Trek.

Straight up guns everyday.