PDA

View Full Version : Magazine failure question (picture)

Lincoln7
04-07-16, 12:55
So my buddy sent me a picture of a magazine failure as part of a group text. Apparently the no one knows what caused this but my buddy's friend (that sent the pic originally) is a Coastie. The magazine appears to be from an issue Sig 229 .40 cal. Any speculation how this happened?

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/Linkstar07/FB_IMG_1459972777735.jpg (http://s154.photobucket.com/user/Linkstar07/media/FB_IMG_1459972777735.jpg.html)

ohsheepdog
04-07-16, 13:15
That looks like the floor plate insert sticking through the hole, but the follower is still at the top of the mag! Need to see the bottom of the mag & whether the base plate & spring are still there...

kremtok
04-07-16, 15:55
Knowing the Coast Guard as I do, the cause is almost certainly operator error.

MStarmer
04-07-16, 17:29
Well it's apparent it wasn't in the gun when this happened as can been seen by the outward bend in the body. Maybe someone used the mag catch cutout to open a Corona?

Leuthas
04-07-16, 17:32
This isn't a magazine failure.

Somebody ripped it open like a tin can using pliers.

ohsheepdog
04-07-16, 17:39
Must have been an Naval gremlin

MegademiC
04-07-16, 20:01
It certainly looks like something failed. I don't think it was the magazine

Lincoln7
04-07-16, 20:44
I'm working on getting in contact with the individual(s) involved. I'll share what I find out. It's certainly an interesting location to have a hole in a magazine.

Beck1911
04-07-16, 21:53
More than coincidence it happened at the mag lock opening. They are stress risers. But this is strange. Some sort of abuse.

HeruMew
04-08-16, 13:16
So my buddy sent me a picture of a magazine failure as part of a group text. Apparently the no one knows what caused this but my buddy's friend (that sent the pic originally) is a Coastie. The magazine appears to be from an issue Sig 229 .40 cal. Any speculation how this happened?

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/Linkstar07/FB_IMG_1459972777735.jpg (http://s154.photobucket.com/user/Linkstar07/media/FB_IMG_1459972777735.jpg.html)

Reminds me of Anti-Gunner propaganda about bullets exploding in magazines for one reason or another.

MStarmer
04-08-16, 15:19
As a side note does the Coast Guard use .40's?

HeruMew
04-08-16, 16:53
As a side note does the Coast Guard use .40's?
Yussir,

Particularly the P229R-DAK (Double Action Kellermann).

It is a P229 with a Rail, designated to Double-Action-Only.

Apparently they did extensive testing for these firearms before implementing them. According to their Wiki, it says they tested 3 million rounds before vetting them for use.

ETA: Per: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_of_the_United_States_Coast_Guard
It says that the P229R-DAK is the Standard Service pistol. And the M9 is listed as "Limited Service" maybe they found something that was bad, Marine/Sea wise, that effected the M9 and not the Sig. Because of that, maybe the M9 is limited for On-Shore usage and P229 off shore? I have no idea after that. But can't really see why it would be listed as "Limited".

ETA2: I know, I know, adding more. But, I thought: Maybe, due to acquisition limitations, they have to issue M9s to anyone who isn't/can't be issued a P229R-DAK.

call_me_ski
04-08-16, 21:21
The are/were allowed more freedom because of their organization under DHS. They were able to piggy back on a contract awarded by DHS for other components such as ICE when they picked up .40 guns after everything was reorganized and DHS was created after 9/11.

RHINOWSO
04-09-16, 09:30
We had some SIG OEM magazines fail (p228s) because of were guys would carry them (flight suit leg pockets). The mags would get banged around on stuff, which eventually deforming the mag body, causing the bullets / followers to pinch and the mag to fail.

If something sudden happened to the mag in question, I'd bet it had been damaged previously, then some of the metal ripped away was done when trying to remove the magazine from the pistol.

Just a WAG.

kremtok
04-09-16, 20:47
Yussir,

Particularly the P229R-DAK (Double Action Kellermann).

It is a P229 with a Rail, designated to Double-Action-Only.

Apparently they did extensive testing for these firearms before implementing them. According to their Wiki, it says they tested 3 million rounds before vetting them for use.

ETA: Per: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_of_the_United_States_Coast_Guard
It says that the P229R-DAK is the Standard Service pistol. And the M9 is listed as "Limited Service" maybe they found something that was bad, Marine/Sea wise, that effected the M9 and not the Sig. Because of that, maybe the M9 is limited for On-Shore usage and P229 off shore? I have no idea after that. But can't really see why it would be listed as "Limited".

ETA2: I know, I know, adding more. But, I thought: Maybe, due to acquisition limitations, they have to issue M9s to anyone who isn't/can't be issued a P229R-DAK.

M9 is typically used in conjunction with DoD, while the P229 is used in normal operations.

HeruMew
04-11-16, 12:27
M9 is typically used in conjunction with DoD, while the P229 is used in normal operations.

Thanks! Makes sense.

Any word on what may have actually caused the destruction to happen?

I feel like we are looking at the aftermath of some serious anger tooling happening to the magazine after it failed to begin with. Haha.

Lincoln7
04-11-16, 18:23
Any word on what may have actually caused the destruction to happen?

I feel like we are looking at the aftermath of some serious anger tooling happening to the magazine after it failed to begin with. Haha.
I'm starting to think this is the case. I have not been able to get ahold of anyone in the know yet. My apologies for not obtaining the root cause yet.

HeruMew
04-12-16, 09:48
I'm starting to think this is the case. I have not been able to get ahold of anyone in the know yet. My apologies for not obtaining the root cause yet.

No apologies necessary; on the contrary thanks for sharing such an entertaining story. :)

Lincoln7
04-20-16, 11:45
Well, I got ahold of the persons who sent the photo. Turns out they found it lying on the ground at the range during a shoot. Although I like the theory of violent magazine extraction the most...

ColtSeavers
04-20-16, 11:51
Personally, I still like the bottle opener attempt gone wrong theory.

Lincoln7
04-20-16, 22:24
Personally, I still like the bottle opener attempt gone wrong theory.
I'm pretty sure I have some magazines worth sacrificing to test this, haha. I'll let you know how it goes.