PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Mark/Identify Your Magazines?

Butch
04-08-16, 08:13
I want to pre-load magazines with different types of ammunition for real and imagined preconceived threats. With the exception of green-tipped M855, all the ammo looks the same.

What do you guys use to mark your magazines so you can quickly identify/grab the right magazine, loaded with the right ammo for the job; even in the dark? Or do you not do such things?

Jwknutson17
04-08-16, 08:26
I want to pre-load magazines with different types of ammunition for real and imagined preconceived threats. With the exception of green-tipped M855, all the ammo looks the same.

What do you guys use to mark your magazines so you can quickly identify/grab the right magazine, loaded with the right ammo for the job; even in the dark? Or do you not do such things?

I use different color markings. Green for M855. Silver for MK262s and red for m193. These are not for trying to grab the correct ammo for the job. Just mainly for reference when going out to the range or to train. I don't want to blast a bunch of dollar a round ammo because I picked up the wrong mag. For "threats" as you call it, I only keep Mk262s in all of my ready rifles. Don't ever have to question what ammo you have. Because it will get the job done.

MegademiC
04-08-16, 08:35
I have soft points in the gun, and in mags in a pouch for a quick grab.

All other mags, preloaded or not are loose in a dedicated compartment in my "ammo/mag" bag. I only mark mags if I trace malfunctions to them, and I use them for training.

BLACKMAX1
04-08-16, 08:59
Since I mainly shoot two different calibers, 300blk and 556 I use two different mags. All of my 300blk are in Hexmags and all of my 556 are in Magpuls, its been working out well since they both feel completely different. I only keep a mag or two for each loaded with the good stuff next to the rifles, all the other mags are just cheap plinking ammo.

stwings
04-08-16, 09:10
Magpul gen3's have a identification grid on the bottom that you can use a sharpie or paint pen to mark the mags. Hexmags use color coded base plates and followers.

GH41
04-08-16, 09:21
I try to keep it simple. I keep 20 magazines loaded with 77s in the safe and bug out bags. My range/practice magazines are stored empty and loaded when needed. No marks for me.

ColtSeavers
04-08-16, 09:25
I don't really have this 'pre-planned'. If I were to try and do so right now, off the top of my head, I would load my 20 rounders with my remaining Fed Fusion (to be consistant with my one 20 rounder loaded with the same for dedicated home defense), my 30 rounders with IMI mk262, and my Surefire 60 rounders with PMC X-Tac M855.

StrikeFace
04-08-16, 10:47
All training mags (AR and Glock) have a belt of yellow paint around the base of the mag body and a number on each side. No confusion.

All "social" mags are windowed PMags that are clearly labeled based on the load inside, both color-coded and sporting abbreviated text.

The Magpul dot matrix is useful for __ __ (letter/numbers): HD01. Combine that with a color code belt from a paint marker, too easy.

The waffle sides on a PMag and others like it make it really easy to use a Brother label maker for your last name / ammo type / etc.

I've also seen guys use the old Die Hard 2 method (electrical tape belts) and various types of spray paint / stencil designs.

If I were to do it again, I would have bought a ton of ugly foliage PMags for training and used black mags for storage / social work.

Whytep38
04-08-16, 12:35

What do you guys use to mark your magazines so you can quickly identify/grab the right magazine, loaded with the right ammo for the job; even in the dark? Or do you not do such things?If you need something that works in the dark, you'll probably want tactile indicators as your color vision may not be fully functional in very dim light, plus you may want to use your eyes to scan for threats.

What you need will depend on how many different types of ammo you intend to use and where you will keep it. Without knowing that, all I can offer are some generalities: different tactile indications (perhaps skateboard tape on the sides for one, front and back for another) - but this is limited to having just 2-3 different types of ammo (do you really want to remember tactile indictors for 4 or more types?); different storage locations; etc.

My advice is to not make things more complicated than necessary, as each new level of complication is another potential failure point.

JC5188
04-08-16, 13:49
I use painters masking tape wrapped around the bottom of the mag, and a sharpie. If I'm not using different ammo, I can take the tape off easily and it doesn't leave sticky residue.

I like to be able to re-label if needed so I don't paint them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wanderson
04-08-16, 13:50
I spray paint all my mags, mainly to mark my 5.45x39 AR mags from my 7.62x39 & 5.56 AR mags. And to separate my good condition AK mags from my average/rusted/dented mags that get used for shooting corrosive ammo. Sometimes I spray everything below the magwell, sometimes I just make a stencil of a star or other symbol. A buddy has a vinyl cutter and can make single color decals that seem to hold up.

For a tactile indicator, how about some Brownell's grit spray? I've used it for hand grips, never for marking mags, but it holds up well and as soon as you grab it, you know.

Jaysop
04-08-16, 14:02
I mark them all with name and mags number. For anything special like HD rounds I mark those accordingly with colored paint pen to make them easy to tell what they are.
What I'd like to know is how to get ride of previously marked mags. I got some off a buddy who marked them and I can't get the paint pen off of those Pmags for the life of me.

titsonritz
04-08-16, 14:20
Here is a recent thread: Numbering Your Magazines (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?181286-Numbering-Your-Magazines&highlight=magazines)

ColtSeavers
04-08-16, 15:13
What I'd like to know is how to get ride of previously marked mags. I got some off a buddy who marked them and I can't get the paint pen off of those Pmags for the life of me.

Nail polish remover/acetone or just spray'em black (or whatever color) and start over.

Jaysop
04-08-16, 15:31
Nail polish remover/acetone or just spray'em black (or whatever color) and start over.

I was thinking about the nail polish remover but was worried it might eat up the polymer.
Worth a try on a beat up one though

ColtSeavers
04-08-16, 15:36
Try sand paper first if it's a polymer magazine.

3ACR_Scout
04-08-16, 18:13
For the time being, I use black PMAGs for M193, OD green for M855 (green for green tip), and FDE for Gold Dots, plus the same color Ranger plates on GI mags. Obviously doesn't work in the dark, but it's a quick reference that works for now.

Dave

DireStraits
04-08-16, 19:24
I've got 62gr Federal Fusion in my HD carbine, so it's not necessary for me to label my mags according to ammunition or at least at this point in time.

I do use a silver Sharpie to mark my mags with my initials and a number; my initials are used to identify the magazine as belonging to me and the number is to identify the particular magazine. The number makes it easy to identify a magazine that doesn't function reliably, it's then demoted to being a "range" magazine or cannibalized for parts.

slowrx
04-08-16, 19:46
For my 300BO mags they all have a strip of green digicam duct tape around the base. All of my 556 mags are plain, aka no tape. Its simple and works for me, and usually if I am going shooting I will be taking one or the other.

davidz71
04-09-16, 01:46
Wide colored rubber bands. Red for Hornady 62 gr. TAP, Yellow for CBC 77 gr. OTM and Green for SS109. These are all loaded in 2 vests and in carry bags.

Nightstalker865
04-09-16, 06:19
Paint pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesr228
04-09-16, 08:01
Use a couple of Sand Pmags for the HD gun loaded with Fusion. Other than that, I use black Pmags only for the 300 rifle I have, and then use painters tape to write super or subs on them. Other than that, range and general use magazines are all Lancers or GI mags, so no confusion in color, labeling, or feel.

Eurodriver
10-13-17, 21:35
I use a sharpie, but I don't mark magazines for ammo types. Only that they are mine.

Beat Trash
10-14-17, 09:23
I only preload magazines with my duty/carry ammunition, so it's a nonissue for me.

My wife on the other hand works in a remote part of a remote state and she carries an AR when out and about and away from town. For her, black PMAGs are only for training ammunition and MCT PMAGS are loaded with bonded carry ammunition.