PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26 vs. Glock 43 vs. Glock 42: which do you prefer?

Doc Safari
04-08-16, 09:48
If you own all three, which do you prefer and why?

I'm debating which to make my semi-auto carry piece (I can only afford one).

I see advantages and disadvantages to all three.

* I love the size of the G42....but it's not 9mm and it would force me to stock another caliber.

* I love the fact that the G26 is 9mm and can use G17 mags in an emergency, but I'd almost have to have the Pearce Grip extension to the factory mags to make it comfortable to shoot.

* I love the fact that the G43 is 9mm, but it takes single stack mags and seems redundant compared to the G26 unless you just have to have the slimmer profile.

What say you?

diving dave
04-08-16, 09:54
I carried a G26 as a back up gun when I worked as a LEO, and its my primary carry now that I'm retired. Theres not really a huge size difference between the 3, and extra capacity is always good, heaven forbid you find yourself fighting for your life. Grip extender does make it a tad more comfortable , but its not needed. Switch to some better sights,( I like 10-8's) carry a G19 mag reload, and a light and your pretty covered. Good luck with what you decide.

Jesse H
04-08-16, 10:08
I carry a 26 or 19 when off duty, with 17 spare mag. Wife carried a 43.

For me, the 43 isn't so much more comfortable or concealable over the 26 that I'd prefer it. Like already stated, I like the capability of using full sized mags with the 26.

I was hoping the 43 would be small enough for pocket carry, but I'm still sticking to the LCP380 as a back up.

Averageman
04-08-16, 10:29
I carry a 26 exclusively with G19 magazines in it.
I like the capacity and the size, I think the G19 magazines are a nice compromise in round capacity vs size. I put the pinky extender things on all of my magazines, it adds a bit of stability and assists in stripping a magazine during a reload.

okie john
04-08-16, 10:43
For me, the 43 isn't so much more comfortable or concealable over the 26 that I'd prefer it.

I found just the opposite. The difference in thickness between the two is minor, but for my body type it makes a BIG difference. I can conceal a G26 about as well as a G19, but the G43 seems to disappear.

Okie John

Primus Pilum
04-08-16, 10:52
The 42 and 43 are just too big for single stack 9mm/.380. You can't pocket carry them which means you are back to a holster. At that point, the differences between a G26 are not much and I would much rather have 13rnds on 9MM in a gun that is shootable than 7 or so rounds in one that is near unshootable. There are plenty of smaller .380 pocket guns to fill the gap if you need deep concealment or convenience of pocket holsters.

The G26 with a 2+ base-plate carried in a small of back holster is about as comfortable as it gets. It provides a full grip similar to a G19 and is as shootable as a full size piece. The G26 is one of the very very best CCW pieces out there.

Fully Stippled Gen 3 G26, Warren sights, Vickers extended mag release and 2+ baseplate make a hell off a little firecracker.

Doc Safari
04-08-16, 10:54
The 42 and 43 are just too big for single stack 9mm/.380. You can't pocket carry them which means you are back to a holster. At that point, the differences between a G26 are not much and I would much rather have 13rnds on 9MM in a gun that is shootable than 7 or so rounds in one that is near unshootable. There are plenty of smaller .380 pocket guns to fill the gap if you need deep concealment or convenience of pocket holsters.

The G26 with a 2+ base-plate carried in a small of back holster is about as comfortable as it gets.

One thing I've been trying to do some research on without much luck is how much the +2 floorplates affect reliability.

I'm one to stick to the "zero" floorplates just because I like to have a place to put my pinky, but this brings up the general question: DO THE PEARCE GRIP EXTENSIONS IN ANY CAPACITY AFFECT RELIABILITY?

Also, I have no experience with these. Are they a bitch to install?

L-2
04-08-16, 11:04
The G26, either Gen3 or Gen4 is my choice for you. When I'm carrying it, I'll typically have a G17 (17 round) magazine as the spare mag. I'm currently using the Magpul extensions for a fuller grip. More likely, I'll be carrying a G19gen3, G30SF/G30Gen3, or 1911 as a primary off-duty carry. I'm more comfortable with the larger size and handling.

I use my G43 as a backup gun, worn either on my ankle or on my body-armor vest. I do have a pocket holster for it, too, but seldom if ever carry it in the pocket. I find my S&W J-frame draws out of my pockets a bit faster/easier. The G43 has replaced or augments my 5-round S&W J-frame revolver as a backup gun. I have used my G26 as a backup, but I find it just a bit too large when I'm in my cop uniform. My department will issue one if needed for plain-clothes duty as the LEO's main weapon (instead of the usual G17Gen4). I'll wear a G26 if I want the smallest 9mm as a primary handgun, such as when wearing a formal suit & tie (court, wedding, funeral, church, business party).

I didn't buy, but did consider a .380 G42. The size is even smaller than the G43, but the G43 is small enough in size for my purposes and I prefer a larger gun for my main carry weapon. I consider the .380 round to be marginal and expensive for what you get. From numerous reports G42 is still experiencing sensitivity in ammo and Glock has had ~3 quiet design changes to its parts/mags. I just don't recommend it unless the person just has to have a .380 and the smallest Glock.

WickedWillis
04-08-16, 11:15
Being a Glock guy, I really wanted to love the G43. I bought one of the first ones that my LGS got in and planned on it as my EDC. I put roughly 200 rounds through it on the first day, accuracy was decent, and I actually really liked the trigger. The G43 ended up being a pocket, run to the gas station at 2am gun, and not an EDC for me. It is snappier than the shield, and carries less, while only concealing a tad better. I sold it soon after and kept using my Glock 19 as my carry gun. Now I am once again in the market for a small 9mm, and to me at this point the Glock 26 will be what I go with. I have owned one in the past, and should never have sold it. I carried a G17 magazine as backup (something the G43 cannot do) and was always confident with the G26 on pretty much every carry situation. It's not super thin, but still carries well. And the reason I am most likely going to buy another one, is because they make a great ankle gun, which regardless of firearm, is the only way I can really carry at my job.

Touching on the +2 Pearce and other extensions, I have several G17 (19+1) factory mags with the extensions and I have had zero issues in several thousand rounds.

Doc Safari
04-08-16, 11:18
It's not super thin, but still carries well. And the reason I am most likely going to buy another one, is because they make a great ankle gun, which regardless of firearm, is the only way I can really carry at my job.

What's your ankle rig?

I've had many problems in the past with pistols "flopping out" of ankle rigs (I do a lot of walking), and I'm skittish about investing in another.

Flankenstein
04-08-16, 11:23
42... Surprisingly.

43 is great, but for me, too small for IWB and too large for pocket. If I'm going IWB I'm going 19 or 17. 42 fits very nicely in the pocket.

Eurodriver
04-08-16, 11:34
I have had all 3 and a S&W 642. I strongly prefer the 43 in all respects.

26? Might as well carry a 19.

42? Not worth the caliber tradeoff for like 1/8" thinness over the 43.

642? 5 shots and twenty minutes to reload? No thanks.

Frailer
04-08-16, 11:41
I'm a big fan of the 26.

I find it much easier to carry than a 19, yet I shoot it as well as the bigger gun.

The 43 looks great on paper, but in actual practice it doesn't work nearly as well for me.

jmoore
04-08-16, 12:09
>>....but I'd almost have to have the Pearce Grip extension to the factory mags to make it comfortable to shoot.
<<

The question isn't whether or not it is "comfortable" to shoot, but can you shoot it effectively? It may not feel "normal" or "comfortable" to you - but can you still put rounds on target in a combat-effective manner and time?

You are likely carrying a smaller weapon because of being in a NPE or something similar. Obviously smaller is better - up to a point. Caliber becomes an issue as well, as does body habitus and clothing. Are you willing to (or can you) "dress around" a weapon that isn't quite as small as you might think you need?

Part of the reason I love the G26 is that I can make it whatever I want. Currently it has an X-Grip G19 mag in place in my OWB holster - basically the same as a G19 (with a slightly shortened sight radius). Hell - I could even run a G19 barrel for slightly more velocity if I felt that was needed (I don't). Spare mags can be either 10 (why?), 12, 15 or 17 rounders. IF I need to pocket carry, I drop down to the factory 10 round mag in the gun, and 1 or 2 G17 mags as spares - clothing dependent.

As always - YMMV

john

WickedWillis
04-08-16, 12:21
What's your ankle rig?

I've had many problems in the past with pistols "flopping out" of ankle rigs (I do a lot of walking), and I'm skittish about investing in another.

I really liked the Galco Ankle glove holster, and unless I see some crazy reviews on something else, it will be what I go with again. I walk quite a bit, as well as kicking high pressure cylinders all day in work boots and I personally never had it flop out. YMMV.

1911-A1
04-08-16, 12:24
Has anyone cut a 19 down to take 26 mags?

I cut my 17 to a 19 grip and it's pretty much perfect for CCW but still a little too large for every situation. I've been eyeing a 43 for alternate summer carry, but I might cut down my backup 19 instead.

ggammell
04-08-16, 12:40
One thing I've been trying to do some research on without much luck is how much the +2 floorplates affect reliability.

I'm one to stick to the "zero" floorplates just because I like to have a place to put my pinky, but this brings up the general question: DO THE PEARCE GRIP EXTENSIONS IN ANY CAPACITY AFFECT RELIABILITY?

Never had a problem with the glock branded ones. I believe they stuff G19 springs into the 26 mags to start with so you have built in extra power.

brickboy240
04-08-16, 12:47
If I was to buy a Glock smaller than my 19, it would be the 26.

Eurodriver
04-08-16, 13:22
Just out of curiosity, you guys concealing the 19s...

Are you doing so in fitted dress pants and dress shirts? Polos and khaki shorts (Not cargo khaki shorts, but J Crew type clothing)

I've often found the "I can conceal a G19 as easily as a G43" folks are usually the ones wearing 5.11 gear and ARES belts 24/7, but if you have any sort of social life that statement is just not true.

Primus Pilum
04-08-16, 13:28

Yea they can be a pain in the ass to install. I hate taking apart glock mags. But I have seen no issues with reliability running the +2. The G26 mags are strongly sprung so there are no issues feeding the last couple rounds.

WickedWillis
04-08-16, 13:32

Are you doing so in fitted dress pants and dress shirts? Polos and khaki shorts (Not cargo khaki shorts, but J Crew type clothing)

I've often found the "I can conceal a G19 as easily as a G43" folks are usually the ones wearing 5.11 gear and ARES belts 24/7, but if you have any sort of social life that statement is just not true.

I thought I was one of those guys, honestly, but I have to dress for the G19. Anyone saying the 19 conceals as well as the 43 is just not honest about it. I can conceal the 19 in jeans and a larger than normal t-shirt decently, but not to the level I am comfortable with. I do wear an overshirt button-down when carrying the G19 mostly anymore. I print at the grip. I have never carried the 19 in dress pants. Just jeans, and cargo shorts.

Primus Pilum
04-08-16, 13:33

When wearing a suit(tailored), I will IWB a VP9
When wearing casual cloths, the VP9, G19 or a G26 depending on how much driving I need to do. IWB, OWB or SOB.
When running to the store or unable to CCW, I throw a Kahr CW380 into my pocket. It is THE perfect pocket 380. Makes a great rear jean pocket gun for going to movies or the like.

Jesse H
04-08-16, 13:55

I'm 5'9" 165 lbs. Wear a medium shirt and 32x32 jeans. I normally wear Gap, Old Navy or Express jeans. Lots of printed T-shirts (Chive and other occasionally inappropriate for work wear, nothing that screams carrying a gun) and polos from Express or Gap.

G19 conceals just fine IWB with a Milt Sparks rig, and spare mag.

TAZ
04-08-16, 14:51
Don't have the 26, but between the 43 and 42 I stuck with the 42. For my needs the 42 conceals much better than the 43. Oddly, the slight difference in size and balance between the 2 make a huge difference for me and my body shape (fat ass). The 42 can go smart carry, appendix (belt or gym shorts) and pocket. For the times when I can't make the VP9 work the 42 firms my needs well.

PrevailFI
04-08-16, 14:52
I have had all 3 and a S&W 642. I strongly prefer the 43 in all respects.

26? Might as well carry a 19.

42? Not worth the caliber tradeoff for like 1/8" thinness over the 43.

642? 5 shots and twenty minutes to reload? No thanks.
Strongly agree, except that even though I'm a Glock guy and my duty weapon is a 17, I like the Shield better than the 43. Very shootable gun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PatrioticDisorder
04-08-16, 14:56
I own a 17, 19, 26 & 43. Of the 4 9mm Glocks I own, the 17 is next to useless. I carry my G19 when wearing cargo shorts & button up t-shirts, 26 with t-shirts & the 43 in professional attire. I have an IWB Stealthgear holster for the 43 but I tend to carry it pocket carry. I never carry the 17 & rarely shoot it, I'm not even sure why I own one at this point.

PatrioticDisorder
04-08-16, 14:57
Strongly agree, except that even though I'm a Glock guy and my duty weapon is a 17, I like the Shield better than the 43. Very shootable gun.

43 pocket carries significantly easier than the shield.

Doc Safari
04-08-16, 15:05
Of the 4 9mm Glocks I own, the 17 is next to useless. (snip) I never carry the 17 & rarely shoot it, I'm not even sure why I own one at this point.

The 17 is actually my favorite at the ranch because I can carry it openly and it's a high-capacity bullet hose that never runs out of ammo. The bigness is also an advantage in that you're not stuck with something your deterioration of fine motor skills in a gunfight might be less able to handle.

For concealment I've been stuck with a Smith 642 for various reasons, but I'm trying real hard to add a small semi-auto to that mix.

PrevailFI
04-08-16, 15:17
43 pocket carries significantly easier than the shield.
I don't find pocket carry practical with either one. My main off duty gun is a 19. Summer, dress clothes, etc calls for slender gun IWB. For me, a Shield.

dirkmagurk
04-08-16, 16:24
I would strongly recommend considering the 19, It is only slightly longer in the grip and slide than the 26. As for the 43 it is a great little 9mm if your top priority is ultimate ease of carry and concealment. I ended up selling my 43 though because I never found myself carrying it over the 19. I've carried a 19 as my primary CCW since 04 and have never had an issue concealing it. A quality belt and holster makes all the difference in the world.

Primus Pilum
04-08-16, 17:46
There is NO glock that pocket carries. I can shove a G43 into my pants but good luck getting it out. Moreso if you actually need to draw down. The shield is unsuitable for pocket carry unless you 400lbs and weird XXXXXXL.

Wear 36/38 size jeans, If it won't fit in my pocket (By fit meaning it can be drawn and does not create a massive gun print that everyone knows what it is, Not just being able to stuff it in there) It won't fit in most folks pocket. So you are stuck with a S&W wheel gun on one of the smaller autos.

WickedWillis
04-08-16, 17:50
There is NO glock that pocket carries. I can shove a G43 into my pants but good luck getting it out. Moreso if you actually need to draw down. The shield is unsuitable for pocket carry unless you 400lbs and weird XXXXXXL.

Wear 36/38 size jeans, If it won't fit in my pocket (By fit meaning it can be drawn and does not create a massive gun print that everyone knows what it is, Not just being able to stuff it in there) It won't fit in most folks pocket. So you are stuck with a S&W wheel gun on one of the smaller autos.

Desantis pocket holster hides the G43 quite nicely. And you can draw very quickly with a little practice.

PatrioticDisorder
04-08-16, 18:04

Not true, I'm a normal size dude and I can easily pocket carry the 43 with the right attire. I agree with say your typical blue jeans having pockets that are too tight to draw from. For me it's a great carry option, but not my primary carry.

T2C
04-08-16, 18:13
The Glock 26 is a good weapon, but it is thick. If I am going to carry a Glock 9mm that thick I would rather carry a Glock 19.

I owned a Glock 43 and shot 2,000 rounds through it before I decided it was not for me. I prefer something more accurate and I can shoot well rapidly. I picked up a Sig P938 to replace it, because I shoot it much more quickly and accurately.

I own a Glock 42 and it is a decent pocket pistol The .380 is not my favorite cartridge, but the Glock 42 is very accurate for it's size and you can quickly make multiple accurate hits with it.

WynnS
04-08-16, 18:14
Most days I carry the 19 aiwb using the eidolon with polo khakis with a large polo shirt or button down(varying in brands) untucked. I'm 6'1" 200lb and it disappears. When I get dressed up for church or work I will carry iwb using jm custom kydex holster at 3 o'clock with a tucked in shirt and mean gene black leather belt with no problem. In all those situations the 26 works great as well.

joe138
04-08-16, 19:16
I have all 3. The 42 sits in the safe, shoots well, but really no use for it. The 43 is what I carry when I really need to conceal. I can shoot it well, it is just slower for me. The 26 is what I carry as a back up on duty the most. I carry it on the ankle in a Galco Ankleglove. I shoot the 26 nearly as well as the 19 or 17, plus I carry a 19 mag as a spare. If I am carrying owb, I carry the 19 or 17. The only poor choice in my opinion is the 42, the other two are nearly equal and only you can decide your needs.

titsonritz
04-08-16, 19:21

I like the +0 floor plate as well, because they give a full size grip but maintain the small profile of the 26. That said the +2 are reliable and easy to install once you learn how to take the mag base plate off.

As too the OP question I prefer the 26. I rule out the 42 because I don't do .380, I wish the 43 was more along the size of a Kahr PM9 rather than just a thinner 26 so it would be more pocketable. I'd rather have the higher capacity of the 26 if I'm dealing with a pistol the size of the 26/43. Yes I have carried my 26 in cargo pants pockets, but forget it with jeans.

ggammell
04-08-16, 20:31
I like the +0 floor plate as well, because they give a full size grip but maintain the small profile of the 26. That said the +2 are reliable and easy to install once you learn how to take the mag base plate off.

A bench vice is your friend. I hated taking the plates of my 27 mags. From now on, i'll buy them pre installed. Someone else's problem.

williejc
04-08-16, 20:33
You can buy factory G 26 mags with the +2 floor plate already installed. If you order the floor plate, every single part has a catalog number, and every one must be listed or you won't receive the whole package.

I carry a Shield because it's more comfortable for my arthritic frame. I do really like my 26 and can shoot it as well as I can the 19. Everybody needs at least one 26 whether or not you pack it daily. I've shot other peoples' 42s and 43s and have no love for them. I'm not saying that they are inferior. I've owned and fired 100's of handguns during the last 50 years and have certain feelings and biases about pistols and revolvers. The 42 and 43 don't fit into that category of handguns that work for me. I realize that others like and carry them, and many of these folks are better qualified than I to advise you.

bigghoss
04-08-16, 21:25
If I could only have one Glock, 19. If I had to pick one of the three you mentioned, gen 4 26.

Flankenstein
04-08-16, 23:26

Nonsense. I am 215 and wear 32s. Pocket carrying the 42 is easy. 43 is doable as well, just a tad too big for me liking in the pocket in most pants.

CalmlyDeMented
04-09-16, 08:35
For me, the 43 doesn't offer any advantages over a 26 or even a 19 unless I am not wearing a belt. That is the only situation mine sees any use, just when I am wearing gym clothes. Otherwise, with a JM Custom aiwb, I can conceal a larger pistol almost as well. So for me, the increased capacity and shootability is worth more than slight increase in concealability.

jandbj
04-09-16, 11:09
Agreed on specific pants being a factor that Flankenstein mentions. Issue tends to be pants brand/style specific. Hell, I can pocket carry a 26 in most of my khakis & work pants (Kuhl & Duluth trading). Dickies brand carpenter jeans, 42/43 are both fine as pocket guns with either desantis or kydex. 26 is a bit too much in those.

Haven't really found a regular use for the 43 yet. My wife claimed the 42 as soon as she saw it. Bought the 43 as an impulse buy figuring I'm already deep into 9mm glocks. 26 has been my daily carry for the past decade or so, usually IWB in a JM custom holster.

b2dap1
04-09-16, 11:42
26 if the 19 isn't one of the choices. I just can't shoot those little guns. I would think 43/42 best as a backup on the ankle or just in a bag or something if you must carry 2.

titsonritz
04-09-16, 13:28
The G26 with a 2+ base-plate carried in a small of back holster is about as comfortable as it gets.

I don't get why anyone would SOB carry.

Maverick07
04-09-16, 15:00
Tried the G26 but it was just too thick and felt awkward even after adding a Pierce extension. The G43 is my EDC, with Trijicon HD's and Taran +2 floorplates. It is thin but also gives me a full grip. If necessary I can go with the flat floorplate. The lack of finger grooves reminded how much better the Glocks point and handle before the Gen 3's. A couple months later I lucked onto a VG condition G17 Gen 2 and now am pretty well set.

MStarmer
04-09-16, 17:02
If I could only have one it would be the 26, far more versatility with mags, and still a decent capacity. With the right holster it should disappear, the G43 isn't ideal to train and practice with full time. Plus mags are going to be cheaper by a far margin for G26/G19 (backup if you want). I would eliminate the G42 altogether just based on the cost and availability of .380 ammo.

ramairthree
04-10-16, 02:10
26 with the extensions for me.

I have handled the single stacks.

Not interested in 380.

Not enough to size difference to interest me in 9.

I have been using my 26 since it first came out.
Original +0 Pearce during AWB
Factory plus two after,
And my favorite, the +3 Pearce since a few years ago.

No reliability issues. Never. With WWB, FC, reloads, Hornady CD, etc. with stock or any of the plates.

Sometimes the rattle issue.

I don't shoot it near as much as my 19s or Berettas.

200 rounds twice a year since 1995 or so when I got it.

Hell, I got my 19 a few years before that, would say 3 times as much through it,
And only MF ever was squid on one of my reloads.

And when I did not clean it, only some break free on it every now and then, just to see how long I could go.
Finally got a FTF.

And one mag got finicky then I put in a new spring and good to go.

I find it, for lack of a better description, the 26
Not desireble to shoot or unshootable with the stock plate.

Vast majority of my shooting pistols was work guns, so not the most impressive round counts.

Ps-
My 19s and 17s and 26 are all gen 2.

Well, officially 2.5 I guess for the 26.

26 Inf
04-10-16, 08:41
Has anyone cut a 19 down to take 26 mags?

I cut my 17 to a 19 grip and it's pretty much perfect for CCW but still a little too large for every situation. I've been eyeing a 43 for alternate summer carry, but I might cut down my backup 19 instead.

I've been toying with that. The question/problem is I'd like to be able to run 17 or 19 mags and not worry about grip wobble. Does anyone make a sleeve?

For concealed carry in any position except appendix and ankle, barrel length - 17 to 19 to 26 - is not the major issue, it is grip size. I'll always opt for the longest barrel possible in order to get the sight radius, it is my bias.

I bought a Shield, on sale to good to pass up, and surprisingly, I like it a lot.

I own a Glock 43 and get by with it, but don't really carry it that much.

I pretty much run all the time with an LCP -I've just about got myself trained to instinctively recognize small pistol - different trigger. I also really enjoy shooting the little devil - LOL. A small gun with you is better than a larger gun left at home.

Jpoe88
04-10-16, 09:57
I don't get why anyone would SOB carry.

My tactical lovehandle makes the grip protude thru my shirt. But i guess I carry 4:30, not 6 oclock. I am 5 10 220 on a good day.

Tzook
04-10-16, 10:19
I carry a G26 as a back up gun as an LEO. Sometimes I carry it when I'm off work instead of my G19/X300. It's a very very easy carry and I would recommend it.

ramairthree
04-10-16, 11:16
Re:

Barrel length

For some reason I used to be less aggravated by barrel length.

Now, especially with driving and sitting, I do notice the difference with 26 vs 19.

CCK
04-10-16, 11:38

The G26 with a 2+ base-plate carried in a small of back holster is about as comfortable as it gets. It provides a full grip similar to a G19 and is as shootable as a full size piece. The G26 is one of the very very best CCW pieces out there.

Fully Stippled Gen 3 G26, Warren sights, Vickers extended mag release and 2+ baseplate make a hell off a little firecracker.

I pocket carry my 42 in suit pants everyday. You know not of which you speak.

titsonritz
04-10-16, 12:29
I've been toying with that. The question/problem is I'd like to be able to run 17 or 19 mags and not worry about grip wobble. Does anyone make a sleeve?

Is this what you are talking about? XGRIP XGGL26-27 (http://x-grips.com/products/glock-26-27/)

26 Inf
04-10-16, 13:41
Is this what you are talking about? XGRIP XGGL26-27 (http://x-grips.com/products/glock-26-27/)

Yes indeed. I had a 27, didn't like it a bit. Haven't paid much attention to the 26 for that reason, so hadn't seen them. I might get an XGrip and start figuring out the lines. Thanks!

Averageman
04-10-16, 15:25

Those are what I have, they have worked fine for me.

TAZ
04-10-16, 17:40
I pocket carry my 42 in suit pants everyday. You know not of which you speak.

1+ to this. Khakis, suit pants, cargo pants or shorts work well for me and the G42. About the only thing that doesn't work is jeans and I think that's more pocket type than anything. Granted I don't wear snug fitting clothes. Everything I buy is relaxed fit.

MegademiC
04-10-16, 20:24

Not a glock owner, but I will say I carry an mp fs daily, but when I'm tucking in a shirt, I have to switch to the shield. There is no concealing the fs with a fitted shirt tucked in. I'm 6' 160lb and 30x32 pants.

I can conceal the fs with fitted tshirts, tight ones, but they print a little sometimes. It's minima enough you can't tell what it is, just looks like I have a gut when I twist.

Op, I think it's very dependent on build, as to what will work and what wont.

Edmo
04-10-16, 22:29
I own both the G26 & G43... I've always seen the 9mm as the weakest pistol caliber I'm comfortable with, so the 380 caliber G42 is out for me.

The G26 shoots like a big gun. It also has the capability to work with bigger brother magazines (G19, G17, G18). For me it is a belt carry gun.

The G43 is the small light gun that works AIWB for me. It is my light weight option.

Neither works as a pocket gun for me. For pocket carry is choose a model S&W 642 Airweight J-frame snubbie.

Edmo

Zirk208
04-11-16, 00:20

I stick with the Glock factory +2, 12rd mags in my 26. No pain, no hassles, comes from the factory ready to go.
Keep a spare G19 mag in the back pocket for a reload.

TacMedic556
04-11-16, 22:03
26 GEN 3. Carry one all the time.

titsonritz
04-11-16, 23:16
I own both the G26 & G43... I've always seen the 9mm as the weakest pistol caliber I'm comfortable with, so the 380 caliber G42 is out for me.

The G26 shoots like a big gun. It also has the capability to work with bigger brother magazines (G19, G17, G18). For me it is a belt carry gun.

The G43 is the small light gun that works AIWB for me. It is my light weight option.

Neither works as a pocket gun for me. For pocket carry is choose a model S&W 642 Airweight J-frame snubbie.

Edmo

It really is the best pocket piece I've ever owned.

Eurodriver
04-12-16, 07:23
Sure, but then you've got to buy a different caliber, your reloads are slower, and you've got a different manual of arms.

I don't suspect that most gun owners are similar to myself as I prefer to have the most similarity between all of my firearms as possible. I'm not a collector, and many of you are. Most guys reading this thread have a 380, 9mm, 40, 45, etc. Before I got the 43 I only had 9mm handguns. Specifically Glocks, and in particular Glock 19s. To me, the only disadvantage to the G43 is that it requires proprietary magazines. With a 26 you can carry a single 10rd mag and keep 15rd mags as backups all over reducing added complexity.

However, there is absolutely no way anyone can sit here and tell me that the G19 (or even 26) conceals as well as a G43 for the way I dress and my activity level.

Based on most gun owners I've met I can understand why some would say "The 19 conceals as well as the 43" - but I don't dress like a grey man and I don't want to.

Doc Safari
04-12-16, 09:24
With a 26 you can carry a single 10rd mag and keep 15rd mags as backups all over reducing added complexity.

Don't they also sell factory 12-round mags?

titsonritz
04-12-16, 14:13
Don't they also sell factory 12-round mags?

Yes. It is a std 10 round mag w/ a +2 base plate.

Ron3
04-12-16, 15:14
The Glock 42 I fired didn't run well, failures to feed and stove pipes.

In addition, it was barely small enough to consider as pocket gun. (Cargo shorts) Another way to say it is it's big for a pocket gun and more likely to hang up on the draw than a smaller weapon.

It's also too small for a belt gun with it's small, short grip. I have no place for one. However, it was accurate and fun to shoot. I still have reservations about it's reliability.

I haven't fired the Glock 43, (Just handled a couple) but if it recoils like other small, single-stack 9mm's it won't be much fun to shoot/train with.

Way too big for a pocket gun, it would make a good belt gun. But as others said, I was hoping it would be dramatically smaller/lighter than a G26, but it's not.
For some folks the thinness will make the sale, carry an extra mag or two. I do wish it was lighter. The Glock 43 is only about 4 ounces less than a loaded G26.

I can't see many people who have a G26 switching to a G43. But I can see a person buying a G43 and being happy enough with it to not buy a G26.

I carry a G19. Often with a backup. My "light duty" carry package is a 19 oz Ruger LCR .357 (12 ounces lighter than my loaded G19) and a smaller gun as back up.

GO_ALLOUT
04-12-16, 16:10
I picked up a 42 late last year...about 200 rounds and not a single hiccup(maybe I got lucky) but regardless I go about 5' 10" 190 and it serves a purpose. I don't like to pocket carry, but I wanted a small pistol for IWB during summer or when I'm dressed for work(typically khakis and button down/polo).

My EDC had always been an XDS(purchased when they first hit the market) and still is on some occasions. For me the thinner guns are more concealable - period, but body type and apparel play a big role in this.

I'd like to replace my XDS with a 43 as they are almost identical in size and then I'm further standardizing both caliber and function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat Trash
04-13-16, 11:49
I owned a Glock 42. Mine functioned well, but was just too small for my hands to effectively control, especially under stress.

I own a Glock 43, that my wife has appropriated as her daily carry gun. My wife is much smaller than I am. This gun also functions well, and is a bit too small for my larger hands.

I also own a Gen4 Glock 26. This one I can shoot well enough to satisfy myself. I use it as my BUG while at work.

To answer the original question, of the three guns, I prefer the Glock 26.

All of these guns are too big or too square for me to carry as a pocket gun. The only time I would consider a pocket gun is in the summer with docker type shorts. I have yet to find a suitable replacement for my J-Frame S&W 642 as a dedicated pocket gun.

My daily carry gun while off-duty is a Glock 19. So long as I am carrying IWB, the GLock 26 works in the summer for those rare times when the Glock 19 prints. Keeping in mind that concealing a gun effectively must take into considerations such as build and manner of dress. For me, the Glock 19/26 works.

Doc Safari
04-13-16, 11:55
To answer the original question, of the three guns, I prefer the Glock 26.

All of these guns are too big or too square for me to carry as a pocket gun. The only time I would consider a pocket gun is in the summer with docker type shorts. I have yet to find a suitable replacement for my J-Frame S&W 642 as a dedicated pocket gun.

As of right now, I concur on all points. I've been a "642 man" for years now. I'm adding the 26 to the mix because it can use the full-size 17 mags in a pinch. The other smallish Glock 42 & 43 do not.

titsonritz
04-13-16, 16:54
Sure, but then you've got to buy a different caliber, your reloads are slower, and you've got a different manual of arms.

I don't suspect that most gun owners are similar to myself as I prefer to have the most similarity between all of my firearms as possible. I'm not a collector, and many of you are. Most guys reading this thread have a 380, 9mm, 40, 45, etc. Before I got the 43 I only had 9mm handguns. Specifically Glocks, and in particular Glock 19s. To me, the only disadvantage to the G43 is that it requires proprietary magazines. With a 26 you can carry a single 10rd mag and keep 15rd mags as backups all over reducing added complexity.

None of which negates the fact that 442/642 is the probably the ultimate pocket gun.

Exactly. The square shape of auto is prone to hang up on the top of the pocket whereas the rounded, snag free shape of the concealed hammer J-frame easily glide out of the pocket. For an auto clear freely every time it needs to be smaller that the 3 subject pistols.

Eurodriver
04-13-16, 17:28
I went from carrying the 642 to the G43 and immediately went "This is so much better".

I haven't looked back.

Again, aside from weight, what benefit does the 642 have over the G43?

FYI I wear J Crew shorts

Doc Safari
04-13-16, 17:30
I went from carrying the 642 to the G43 and immediately went "This is so much better".

I haven't looked back.

FYI I wear J Crew shorts

Here in the Southwest the G43 is still too big to carry in the summer heat. Even with the 642 I have to be careful how I dress and whatnot.

The G42 is better, but I don't like 380.

opngrnd
06-22-16, 08:28
I picked up a G43 for no other reason than to be a gym shorts/minimal clothing CCW. What holsters are you guys/gals having luck with in this matter?

(I know it's not a G26 or G19, but that's not why I bought it).

Mark71
06-22-16, 12:28
I picked up a G43 for no other reason than to be a gym shorts/minimal clothing CCW. What holsters are you guys/gals having luck with in this matter?

Dark Star Gear clipon AIWB holster or Keepers Concealment Errand. Both work excellent. Extremely comfortable and completely hides the 43.

ScottD
06-22-16, 12:46

I use a cheap belly band I found on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LARCLA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for use with gym shorts. Has worked just fine for jogging.

Fury Appendix Series (http://www.furyholsters.com/Appendix-Order.html) for khaki shorts and T-shirt. Oh, and a Mean Gene belt (http://www.meangeneleather.com/).

samuse
06-22-16, 14:29

I haven't looked back.

FYI I wear J Crew shorts

I went back and forth between a 442-2 and a Glock 26 for years until the 43 came out. The 43 does what the other can't when it comes to comfortable concealment with a 2 round advantage over the J frame.

The J frame is a great size but the cylinder is just obnoxious. No good way to deal with it.

jmoore
06-22-16, 16:56
It's all a matter of dressing around the gun. Have tried all three - carry the g26 as edc. G19 mag with X-grip in the gun, and two 12 rounders as reloads for a total of 40 rds of 124 +P on me when carrying.
OWB Safariland GLS AT 3-4. Works with carhartt Ts and all of my other shirts too.
FWIW - will likely be switching to a p320C once I get another thousand or so through it. Will carry 2 17 rounders as reloads for a total of 50 rds on me for edc. That's in addition to a CRKT M16 and a Surfire Backup light. YMMV

john

WillyB70
06-24-16, 22:43
I have always been a 19/26 fan being that you can use the same magazine, but also went with the 43 and hate to say its a great EDC. The weight difference feels big, but also you do leave several rounds. That being said all are great and you won't go wrong.

USMC_Anglico
06-25-16, 07:50
I've had a 26/27 (27 first then 26) since shortly after they were available. I recently picked up a 43. I no longer carry the 26. The 43 does everything I need it to do for carry purposes. If I need something bigger I go with a 19, which is still concealable for me in many situations. To me the 26 is redundant now, doesn't conceal as well as a 43 and it's not as good as a 19.

teutonicpolymer
06-25-16, 08:28
Does anyone know the height of the 26 with +2 extensions? I'm guessing it is close to the 19 in height.

I don't see the point in the 42 since it is almost the same size as the 43.

The 19 and 26 on their own are not heavy- I think something that is overlooked is how much things weigh when loaded, and weight of ammo becomes significant with 10/12/15/17/19 +1

krm375
06-25-16, 09:33
G-26 with +2 magazine extensions in the winter with G-17 or G-19 backup mags, depends on the attire. http://eatontacticalinnovations.com holster
G-43 with +1 magazine extension in the summer with G-43 +2 magazines for backup. shorts and T-shirts. http://eatontacticalinnovations.com holster
never saw a reason to go with the G-42 but if I need a substantially smaller pocket gun I have a Ruger LCP in 380

Palmguy
06-26-16, 07:36
Does anyone know the height of the 26 with +2 extensions? I'm guessing it is close to the 19 in height.

The 19 and 26 on their own are not heavy- I think something that is overlooked is how much things weigh when loaded, and weight of ammo becomes significant with 10/12/15/17/19 +1

It gets close in the front, less so in the back:

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii551/PalmguyFL/3a56aa09-5387-48a0-95bd-034358fa261a_zpsuf7tmrp6.png

Bummedic
06-29-16, 16:06
Had a G26, could never get used to the feel even with Pearce grips. I agree that having the ability to use G17/18/19 mags is a plus. G19 if my cold weather carry and G43 when it's warmer.

CAVDOC
06-30-16, 09:13
I have a 42 and it is actually a nice sweet spot for being still a pocket carry size in docker type pants or loose cargo shorts, but big enough to shoot accurately.The 26 goes over that edge to be a belt or ankle holster gun. My 26 is also one of my go to' s and each has a role. Wan't that far back in time the bigger heavier Walther ppk was the standard in pocket pistols or deep cover meant a 25 auto. ( done both in my earlier years!)
Skip all the extension nonsense- get a small gun and keep it small or get a bigger gun. By the time you add junk to a 26 ( or even a 43 for that matter) you might as well carry a glock 19

Bummedic
06-30-16, 10:26
I have a 42 and it is actually a nice sweet spot for being still a pocket carry size in docker type pants or loose cargo shorts, but big enough to shoot accurately.The 26 goes over that edge to be a belt or ankle holster gun. My 26 is also one of my go to' s and each has a role. Wan't that far back in time the bigger heavier Walther ppk was the standard in pocket pistols or deep cover meant a 25 auto. ( done both in my earlier years!)
Skip all the extension nonsense- get a small gun and keep it small or get a bigger gun. By the time you add junk to a 26 ( or even a 43 for that matter) you might as well carry a glock 19

Completely agree... by the time you get our G26 to it's sweet spot, it's basically a lower-capacity G19. It's funny... the G26 is similar to the G19, while also being similar to the G43, but the G19 and G43 are miles apart. I chose to go with miles apart for their dedicated purposes.

Plumber237
06-30-16, 14:07
43 for me with my reload(s) using the TTI +2 base pad, I can't get away with carrying my 26 in t-shirt & shorts weather

johnnywitt
07-15-16, 21:24

Respectfully, I believe the "point" of a 42 over a 43 is Shootability. A Shooter that simply can't handle the recoil for a myriad of reasons. Everything is a balance. You give up one thing (power) and you gain something else (controllability). You and I can handle a 43 no problem, but some older, arthritic, or smaller statured Folks will be less intimidated & perform better and possibly even ENJOY themselves more and thereby develope confidence with a larger .380 like a G42 loaded with some Hot Ball Ammo like S&B or Fiocchi. It will still effectively defend your Life, if good CNS Hits are made. YMMV

teutonicpolymer
07-16-16, 00:54
Respectfully, I believe the "point" of a 42 over a 43 is Shootability. A Shooter that simply can't handle the recoil for a myriad of reasons. Everything is a balance. You give up one thing (power) and you gain something else (controllability). You and I can handle a 43 no problem, but some older, arthritic, or smaller statured Folks will be less intimidated & perform better and possibly even ENJOY themselves more and thereby develope confidence with a larger .380 like a G42 loaded with some Hot Ball Ammo like S&B or Fiocchi. It will still effectively defend your Life, if good CNS Hits are made. YMMV

Isn't this a little nullified by the straight blowback vs tilt locking?

GregP220
07-16-16, 08:45
I carry a G19 about 9 moths of the year. Or a CZ P-07 if carrying appendix.

The 26 is just as fat as those 2 so I don't see a point to it.

I do have a 43. Don't care for 380s.

johnnywitt
07-16-16, 09:55
Isn't this a little nullified by the straight blowback vs tilt locking?

It is my understanding that only the G25 & G28 .380's that are restricted from General Importation are Modified Blow Back, but not conventional Blow Back where the barrel is fixed. The G42 because of the low mass and being originally designed around the power of the .380 cartridge is, in fact, a standard Locked breach Glock.
This is why, imo, the original Kel Tec P32 is such a good pocket pistol. Locked Breach 8oz. loaded with 8rds of Euro Spec 7.65 Browning. This just doesn't resonate with the American Mind however. For a .380 that is actually fairly reliable (now), concealable AND shootable, I think the G42 is hard to beat. Personally, for myself, I like the 43 & the 9mm: always have been both a Glock and a 9mm Guy, since I bought my first G17 in 1988. I'm with other Posters that maintain the semi redundancy of a 26 these days since the 43 came out. Still not a bad choice. FBI still likes it for ankle carry.

teutonicpolymer
07-16-16, 10:22
It is my understanding that only the G25 & G28 .380's that are restricted from General Importation are Modified Blow Back, but not conventional Blow Back where the barrel is fixed. The G42 because of the low mass and being originally designed around the power of the .380 cartridge is, in fact, a standard Locked breach Glock.
This is why, imo, the original Kel Tec P32 is such a good pocket pistol. Locked Breach 8oz. loaded with 8rds of Euro Spec 7.65 Browning. This just doesn't resonate with the American Mind however. For a .380 that is actually fairly reliable (now), concealable AND shootable, I think the G42 is hard to beat. Personally, for myself, I like the 43 & the 9mm: always have been both a Glock and a 9mm Guy, since I bought my first G17 in 1988. I'm with other Posters that maintain the semi redundancy of a 26 these days since the 43 came out. Still not a bad choice. FBI still likes it for ankle carry.

Did not know that, thanks

I have looked a bit at the various carry single stack 9s but never felt like one was perfect. The 43 is a nice size but the details like the mag release being hard for me to activate, the ever so slightly too short grip (imo they should've done 7 rounds flush) and the trigger which seems worse than the full size models-

I do like the 26 but it is chunky

The 19 is nice but it gets pretty heavy when fully loaded and is a bit hard to conceal unless you don't have to bend down and move around too much

I do like the PPS M2 but I just don't love it. Have looked at a few in person but never saw the puppy dog eyes that a dog at the pound might give to get you to take it home. The weight is weirdly high for what it is and the dimensions aside from grip length are too big for my liking. Side by side with a 19 it doesn't even look THAT much smaller

Bummedic
07-16-16, 10:34
I carry a G23 most of the year (I have a G19, but I am more accurate with my .40... weird, I know). I just need to practice more with the G19, as I do have a G17, G43, and a G19 gen 2 sub-2K, so I'm interested in consolidating to 9mm all around. My current single stack, hot weather or light clothing CCW is an M&P Shield, but I do shoot the G43 better in my limited practice... just haven't outfitted it the way I want yet for a carry option.

SiGfever
07-16-16, 11:22
I shoot my G19 better than any other pistol I own, my G26 shoots almost as well. But for comfort and concealability, my G43 gets the duty hands down. I have been very impressed with the ease and accuracy of the little G43, it will be my EDC. YMMV.

onado2000
07-16-16, 14:39
I found just the opposite. The difference in thickness between the two is minor, but for my body type it makes a BIG difference. I can conceal a G26 about as well as a G19, but the G43 seems to disappear.

Okie John

I Agree. I can bend to tie my shoes with my G43 AIWB in shorts, no belt. For me the G26 digs into my side, but the 43 disappears. The grip extension on the 6 round mag also makes a difference. Id rather carry my G19, OWB on my leather belt and Raven holster.

Uprange41
07-16-16, 14:48
If I were to sell all my other handguns, it'd be the 26 that remains. I don't own a 43 or 42, but I've been lamenting over not having a 43 for when I'm wearing a tucked shirt and for occasional pocket carry. So I'll get one eventually.

But between that, my 26, and my 19? I prefer the 26. It conceals in the situations where the 19 would print, it gives up very little to the 19 in how it shoots, and my #1 complaint with it (no light rail) has been somewhat mitigated with the TLR-6 coming to market. It takes the same mags as the 19, and then some, and I personally prefer the grip of the 26 to the 19.

Basically, I could live quite happily with a 43, a 26, a 19 with a grip chop or just a 19... but the 26 requires the least amount of compromise in either direction, and still can be a bigger gun if need be.

paranoyd
08-18-16, 11:26
I can echo the sentiment shared by many. I like the fact that I can have my 26 and carry a spare 17 mag. Or if I'm passing through Ferguson, I'll bring along a 33 rounder for good measure.;)

Mozart
08-19-16, 02:15
I've never worried about printing once when carrying the G43 IWB. I've gone into the movie theatre probably 15 times with it under my shirt, and not even my wife knows. It. Just. Disappears.

I've never carried it in my pocket, no need. Kydex clamshell holster with a single plastic belt clip. Clips on in 1.7 seconds. Invisibility. Done.

L-2
08-19-16, 09:45

This is a late follow-up. So far, the +2 Glock extensions on my G26 mags are reliable. The G26 10-round mags use the same mag springs as the G19 15-round mags. Increasing the G26 mags from 10 to 12 rounds has no adverse feeding issues.

Chrisreedrules
08-19-16, 09:47
I think the Glock 26 is almost a completely pointless pistol. Unless you have the pinky extension on it, it is not a stable shooter. Put the pinky extension on, and it's the same size as the 19 minus the capacity and with a little more felt recoil. Seems pointless.

Between the 43 and 42, I'd take the 43 hands down for a few reasons. Number one, felt recoil between .380 and 9mm in a pistol that size is almost negligible. Go with 9mm. Number two, 9mm ammo is much cheaper than .380 and I think the self-defense load options are much better than .380. Number three, they make the TT magazine extensions for the 43 with +1, +2, and even +3 round capacity now. So that gives the 43 the edge in capacity. It's a no brainer, go with a Glock 43.

Flankenstein
08-19-16, 10:45
I think the Glock 26 is almost a completely pointless pistol. Unless you have the pinky extension on it, it is not a stable shooter. Put the pinky extension on, and it's the same size as the 19 minus the capacity and with a little more felt recoil. Seems pointless.

Between the 43 and 42, I'd take the 43 hands down for a few reasons. Number one, felt recoil between .380 and 9mm in a pistol that size is almost negligible. Go with 9mm. Number two, 9mm ammo is much cheaper than .380 and I think the self-defense load options are much better than .380. Number three, they make the TT magazine extensions for the 43 with +1, +2, and even +3 round capacity now. So that gives the 43 the edge in capacity. It's a no brainer, go with a Glock 43.

Thanks, appreciate you stating your opinions as facts. You hear that everyone? Time to dump those 26s in the trash can.

Chrisreedrules
08-19-16, 10:50
Thanks, appreciate you stating your opinions as facts. You hear that everyone? Time to dump those 26s in the trash can.

Oh please... Notice I prefaced my post with, "I think"? It was obviously my opinion. I don't care if you like the 26. Good for you. I just personally think it's a pointless pistol. Made even more pointless when the 43 was rolled out. Do your panties always find themselves this wadded up?

Flankenstein
08-19-16, 10:51
Oh please... Notice I prefaced my post with, "I think"? It was obviously my opinion. I don't care if you like the 26. Good for you. I just personally think it's a pointless pistol. Made even more pointless when the 43 was rolled out. Do your panties always find themselves this wadded up?

I don't like the 26 actually. I don't think I like you either :)

Uprange41
08-19-16, 11:08

If it's not stable without the pinky, your grip needs work.

Bummedic
08-19-16, 12:00
I also agree with Chrisreedrules... IMHO, the G26 doesn't really have or serve a niche between the 43 and 19. It doesn't disappear concealed like the 43, and it conceals nearly the same as the 19, which offers accuracy and standard capacity advantages. Only reason j could see would be if someone used it as an on-duty backup and carried a full-size regular duty gun and didn't want to go as small as the 43. Personally, I think it's a little chunky as a BUG.

Uprange41
08-19-16, 12:04
it conceals nearly the same as the 19
Depends on you and what you wear/how you carry.

It absolutely conceals better than the 19 on me with the shorter grip.

Not serving a niche for you =/= not serving a niche at all.

WickedWillis
08-19-16, 12:11
I also agree with Chrisreedrules... IMHO, the G26 doesn't really have or serve a niche between the 43 and 19. It doesn't disappear concealed like the 43, and it conceals nearly the same as the 19, which offers accuracy and standard capacity advantages. Only reason j could see would be if someone used it as an on-duty backup and carried a full-size regular duty gun and didn't want to go as small as the 43. Personally, I think it's a little chunky as a BUG.

I carried one as a backup to my G19, on an ankle rig. Or as a primary on an ankle rig when I have to be discreet, or are not supposed to be carrying in a certain area. To me, it's the perfect back up gun because of magazine commonality, and I shoot it like a full size. It does conceal better than the G19 IWB. I was not impressed with the G43, and it's a handgun I was so incredibly excited for. The literal only benefit it has over the G26 is it's smaller, and you can throw it in a pocket holster, that is it.

teutonicpolymer
08-19-16, 20:07
I carried one as a backup to my G19, on an ankle rig. Or as a primary on an ankle rig when I have to be discreet, or are not supposed to be carrying in a certain area. To me, it's the perfect back up gun because of magazine commonality, and I shoot it like a full size. It does conceal better than the G19 IWB. I was not impressed with the G43, and it's a handgun I was so incredibly excited for. The literal only benefit it has over the G26 is it's smaller, and you can throw it in a pocket holster, that is it.

I really feel the G43 should've been made a 7 round gun that way people could fit their pinky on there

It is an awkward length between 2 and 3 finger grip (I wear L or XL gloves)

tgizzard
08-19-16, 20:34
I owned a G26 a couple years ago. It shot like a dream, but I honestly couldn't stand carrying it. So I ended up picking up an XDS 9 for my EDC. I shot the 26 better then I do the XDS, so I've been interested in trying out a G43. My LGS has them listed at $483 right now. I've been going back and forth on whether I should go and pick one up.

Chrisreedrules
08-20-16, 11:52

Yup, nailed it. *rolls eyes

Uprange41
08-20-16, 13:00
Yup, nailed it.

I did. Unless you're a smaller female or have a disability, there is no excuse for healthy adult male to not be stable with a gun the size of the 26.

Roll your eyes all you want.

Chrisreedrules
08-20-16, 14:52

I did. Unless you're a smaller female or have a disability, there is no excuse for healthy adult male to not be stable with a gun the size of the 26.

Roll your eyes all you want.

What are you even talking about? My original post stated that the 26 isn't as stable to shoot without the pinky extension on the magazine as say a Glock19. And when you add the pinky extension, it is essentially the same size of the G19. I can shoot a 26 just fine. I just think it's a superfluous pistol in Glock's 9mm lineup. Like an awkward middle child. Chill out keyboard commando.

Uprange41
08-20-16, 16:06
What are you even talking about? My original post stated that the 26 isn't as stable to shoot without the pinky extension on the magazine as say a Glock19. And when you add the pinky extension, it is essentially the same size of the G19. I can shoot a 26 just fine. I just think it's a superfluous pistol in Glock's 9mm lineup. Like an awkward middle child. Chill out keyboard commando.

And I said that your pinky is not the crux of what keeps a gun stable.

Chill out keyboard commando.
And there it is. Grow up.

ST911
08-20-16, 18:55
Girls, girls, girls...you're both pretty. Now, back on track without the bickering and name calling please.

buckshot1220
08-20-16, 20:17
Back when I first started carrying I owned/carried a Kahr PM9 primarily. Although not the standard nowadays, at the time it was one of the only *small* single stack 9's out there. I foolishly sold it to a friend, not for any good reason, and regretted it since.

Fast forward a number of years to when the 43 came out I wanted one to replace the Kahr that had been a staple for me when I first started carrying. Needless to say, I've fallen in love with the 43.

While there is not a huge size difference between the 26 and the 43, there is a decent enough weight difference. I can easily wear the 43 with an IWB High Noon holster with a pair of basketball shorts or pajamas and the drawstring is enough to keep the gun in place. I am not able to do this for any length of time with the 26 as it is constantly pulling my pants downward.

Both guns shine in specific situations, depends on your typical attire. For me most nights after work its basketball shorts and a t-shirt so the 43 sees a lot of carry.

The 42 on the other hand - there are smaller, equally effective .380's out there. I'm not bashing it, but I think Glock missed the mark on that one. I have a Smith BG .380 (no-laser model) that I am completely content with.

Firefly
08-20-16, 20:25
I dunno. Would sooner have a 19. But the 43 I guess. Whichever one is 9mm of the choices.

Glock 26 I never liked but loved the 30.
It was, I guess, like a Glock "Commander" especially if one was into .45.

I want to replace my G30 but tried 26s and just said "why not just get a 19?", which I never did, sadly. I got not really a big mitt but long fingers.

Skyviking
08-21-16, 14:01
I carried a G27, then a G26 in a pocket holster as a BUG to my G23/27 for years when I was working. Dockers/dress slacks EDC. The G43 is better for concealment. Folks that complain about the G26 not being as great to shoot as a G19, then go on to state that the 42 or 43 is Sooo much better, are talking out of both sides of their mouths. The G43 is harder to shoot than the G26 in the same manner as the G26/vs. G19. Some of the more astute students have long ago figured out that any Glock fitted with Heinie, Wilson Combat Battle Sights, or 10-8 sights has about the same sight radius as the next model/size up (i.e. 26/19/17) equipped with factory sights, which makes getting better hits with the pistol a bit easier.

Any handgun chosen as a CCW is a compromise based on weather, clothing chosen apropos to the social/environmental situation, and evaluation of the threat level likely to be encountered. I have a G43, but like my Gen. I Walther PPS better (flatter, and can carry factory 8-round magazines for reloads). I carry it in a PCH pocket holster or a kydex pocket holster. If I were carrying a G19/17 as a primary, I would carry a G26 in an ankle holster-unless wearing shorts, which means carrying the BUG in a pocket holster. I always carried G17+2 magazines for my reloads when carrying any double-stack 9mm Glock.

williejc
08-21-16, 18:04
When carrying a 26 in an appendix holster, its less likely to dig into my leg when riding in a car/truck than is the slightly longer 19. Its shorter grip is somewhat less likely to print with the carrying arrangement that I use. My advice to the person who will buy only one Glock: get a model 19; my advice to the guy who has a 26 that he shoots well and is reliable: keep it and save your money to buy the next pistol. I can write a book about guns that I should have kept.

I offer advice to non l.e. people only, unless I'm asked face to face by l.e., because I am not qualified to advise the highly trained. However, if a cop does ask about off duty or carry after retirement, I suggest carrying a product with the same platform as his duty weapon. Then I mention S&W 2 inch aluminum frame offerings.

MrTwister
08-23-16, 07:47
My main carry gun is the G19 but when I need something smaller in the summer I will carry my G43. Never have pocket carried the 43 but that's what my Smith J frame is for.

Skyviking
08-26-16, 00:34
I offer advice to non l.e. people only, unless I'm asked face to face by l.e., because I am not qualified to advise the highly trained. However, if a cop does ask about off duty or carry after retirement, I suggest carrying a product with the same platform as his duty weapon. Then I mention S&W 2 inch aluminum frame offerings.

Highly trained??? I estimate that 90% of LEOs only practice/train with their Duty Guns when they are required to qualify. They percentages get worse when it comes to qualifying with Off-Duty guns carried as they would on the street (if ever).

I had one guy who carried his duty gun in a plastic zip-lock bag, inside a zippered gun rug/case - and inside his briefcase. Holster and spare mags were in a plastic baggie as well, so they didn't get dirty (wanted to keep that P228 like new). That came to a screeching halt when I took everybody in the office out for a surprise range qual after staff meeting. Everybody had to come to the line just as they arrived/drove up in their unit. Anyone who did not qualify on the first relay had to come back for remedial training. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but everyone showed up at the office the next day wearing their pistola, with proper holsters, spare magazine(s), and handcuffs. Made Briefcase Boy a believer as to just how long it took to get his P228 into action. Got a nice Safariland paddle holster and doublemag pouch the following day... He could shoot, though.

Mike169
08-26-16, 06:56
Oh good, we've come full circle with this thread to the token "cops are gun novices who never touch their guns which are usually covered with rust and not even loaded, I know, I've seen it.."

HeruMew
08-26-16, 07:46
On this topic,

I can actually shoot my 26 better than any other handgun I own at the moment.

I love the trigger, and the Austria rollmark just makes it that much better.

I also, due to tactical muffin-top, have a hard time appendix carrying and having access in a vehicle and such.

So, hip carry it is, or pocket carry if I am wearing a pair of "Duke" jeans. Because dang the pockets are huge on that brand of pants; which makes a very nice and smooth pocket carry.

WickedWillis
08-26-16, 10:44
Oh good, we've come full circle with this thread to the token "cops are gun novices who never touch their guns which are usually covered with rust and not even loaded, I know, I've seen it.."

I attend the same range here that the Sheriff's department trains at, and a very good friend of mine transferred out of there recently. He told me they were allowed a few hundred rounds a month to train with, and only had to qualify with their duty weapon once a year.

Velo Dog
08-26-16, 22:08
Think of the 26 as a 19 that carries better on the ankle or in a pocket. I didn't like the feel at first, but it has grown on me. The 12 round mags are very reliable, although the Hornady 100 gr. Critical Defense Lite would not feed consistently through one of mine.

I sold my 43, but it was very comfortable in the waistband. Too big and heavy for regular pocket carry. Probably would have tried Talon Grips or stippling if I would have kept it.

In my experience, the 42 is the least reliable. However, it is relatively easy to shoot and carry.

ST911
08-26-16, 22:13
the Hornady 100 gr. Critical Defense Lite would not feed consistently through one of mine.

Tell me more.

Velo Dog
08-26-16, 22:34
Tell me more.

I bought a couple boxes just for reliability testing and comparing recoil.

They fed fine through the 10 round mags. When I loaded the gun with 12+1 I had 3 failures to feed.

The 12 round mags work with regular 115 gr Critical Defense, American Eagle Suppressor 124 FMJ, Federal Guard Dog 105 EFMJ, and every hollow-point I have tried including Federal 135 gr. Hydra-Shok Low Recoil. My carry load is Winchester 147 gr. bonded.