PDA

View Full Version : We are 3 1/3 years post Sandy Hook and I still can't buy 22LR at Walmart

Eurodriver
04-08-16, 14:54
This is getting ridiculous. Is anyone even remotely close to $0.05/rd anymore? I was seeing 10c/rd a few months ago but now it seems to be up to 15c/rd.

Does anyone have any factual data on why this stuff is still so scarce? Are neckbeards still camping out at Walmarts?

Doc Safari
04-08-16, 14:59
This is getting ridiculous. Is anyone even remotely close to $0.05/rd anymore? I was seeing 10c/rd a few months ago but now it seems to be up to 15c/rd.

Does anyone have any factual data on why this stuff is still so scarce? Are neckbeards still camping out at Walmarts?

I will tell you why in a nutshell: everybody is still out stocking up on the stuff for no damn reason.

Last fall, my girlfriend and I asked the Walmart ammo counter guy when they get their shipment. IIRC they said they get it Friday or Saturday, but the main point was they put it out early Saturday evening.

Sure enough, we showed up early Saturday evening and there was a LINE of people to get it. We managed to get a couple of boxes, but by the time we checked out and looked back at the number of people who came in after us, we could tell that their entire shipment was being bought out as we were there.

Helluva thing.

Wait until it looks like Hillary is a shoo-in and EVERYTHING will be in short supply.

kerplode
04-08-16, 16:03
I think it's a combination of extra demand from new people getting into shooting and people still hoarding. I've bumped into a few boxes here and there at local Walmarts recently, but that was just pure luck. I think for the most part it's like Doc Glockster experienced...It's all bought up within minutes of being put on the shelf.

I also read somewhere that rimfire priming plants are very expensive and difficult to set up, and that has prevented manufacturers from bring more production online as they have for centerfire. Seems reasonable, I guess.

Anyway, it sucks and at this point, I don't foresee EVER again being able to walk into a store whenever you want and buy what you need of 22LR. The days of unlimited access to bricks of 500 for $10 each are gone for good. When Hilary is elected shit is going to be full retard for years and years.

Tx_Aggie
04-08-16, 21:32
I work at a small LGS in SW Virginia. We've had 6000+ rounds of .22 (CCI, Federal, and Remington) sitting on the counter for the past 3 weeks with only a few bites. Prices on what we have range from $.07/rd to $.11/rd. The folks who have bought only buy a few boxes at a time. We had another 6000 rounds come in from a distributor today that will sit in the back until what we currently have on the shelf sells out.

It's still difficult to consistently find 22 at the local Walmarts because folks are still camping out and buying it as soon as it's stocked (several of these guys operates a pawn shop in the area). I've also heard rumors that some of the walmart employees hold ammo back for themselves so that they can flip it at the gun shows, but I don't have any solid proof of that.

ETA, our cost on 22lr is high enough now that there's no way we could sell it for $.05/round.

fedupflyer
04-08-16, 21:41
Most be your locale.
I just bought 500 rnds of CCI Mini Mags 40 gr for 7.9 cents/round.
They display cap had plenty left and even more of the 36 gr Mini Mags.

opngrnd
04-08-16, 22:10
Most be your locale.
I just bought 500 rnds of CCI Mini Mags 40 gr for 7.9 cents/round.
They display cap had plenty left and even more of the 36 gr Mini Mags.

This^. I can buy as much as I want, as often as I want.

Kain
04-08-16, 22:12
I don't know. I think demand is still up from where it was Pre-sh but I seeing it more often, around $35 a brick. Hell was up at Cabela's last weekend. They had TWO displays, full of Remington .22lr and a bunch of other stuff on the shelves. It wasn't moving fast. I grabbed 500 rounds because am going to be taking a friend's kid out and teaching them the basics so I figured it would be a good idea to grab some. Another LGS usually has bricks in the $35-40 range as well. Have seen it as low as $28 though on occasion as well.

Turnkey11
04-09-16, 00:05
I stopped looking for it long ago; 9mm is the new .22

Nightstalker865
04-09-16, 06:22
Around here the LGS's have it, but it's priced high. Big box stores get in it on a regular basis and as others have mentioned, it's gone within a couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegademiC
04-09-16, 07:01
Last time I bought .22lr, it was $0.03 per round. I still have some.

ubet
04-09-16, 07:47
I work at a small LGS in SW Virginia. We've had 6000+ rounds of .22 (CCI, Federal, and Remington) sitting on the counter for the past 3 weeks with only a few bites. Prices on what we have range from $.07/rd to $.11/rd. The folks who have bought only buy a few boxes at a time. We had another 6000 rounds come in from a distributor today that will sit in the back until what we currently have on the shelf sells out.

It's still difficult to consistently find 22 at the local Walmarts because folks are still camping out and buying it as soon as it's stocked (several of these guys operates a pawn shop in the area). I've also heard rumors that some of the walmart employees hold ammo back for themselves so that they can flip it at the gun shows, but I don't have any solid proof of that.

ETA, our cost on 22lr is high enough now that there's no way we could sell it for $.05/round.
Do you guys ship ammo?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pinzgauer
04-09-16, 08:26
LMGS has CCI $7-8 per hundred available in pallet quantities, and it's largely unsold. Yet our Wally world sell out as soon as it's stocked.

Just crazy, and I've largely stopped shooting .22 much out of annoyance more than anything.

HKGuns
04-09-16, 09:00
Easy solution, don't shop at Walmart. Waaaay too many exposed butt cracks in that place for my taste anyway.

Joelski
04-09-16, 09:03
They buy it up and sit on it, never diverting much or any to practice/training. The profiteers, I can understand, but how many of those prepper/hoarders would catch a bullet 2-3 shots into the first fight? Stockpiling in insane numbers is stupid.

ubet
04-09-16, 09:13
They buy it up and sit on it, never diverting much or any to practice/training. The profiteers, I can understand, but how many of those prepper/hoarders would catch a bullet 2-3 shots into the first fight? Stockpiling in insane numbers is stupid.
I hope they all do

Pilot1
04-09-16, 09:27
Easy solution, don't shop at Walmart. Waaaay too many exposed butt cracks in that place for my taste anyway.

And not the good kind.

wigbones
04-09-16, 10:33
Cabelas constantly has .22 ammo for sale at $.06-$.07/round online. Ship to store is free. Store availability is hit or miss in my area, but I do all my buying online for the most part. If you know how to work extra discounts and coupons you can get the price of .22 ammo down in the $.05/round range.

Tx_Aggie
04-09-16, 11:39
Do you guys ship ammo?

We don't. We are too small to make it worth while at this point.

Eurodriver
04-09-16, 12:17
Never seen 22LR except for the crazy Eley stuff at $25/50 at the LGS.

At those prices I would drive to TX buy the whole supply and come back to FL and sell it.

Hmm

dbain99
04-09-16, 12:48
Most of the big box stores around here only have Eley or Aguila for $.10 + while several LGS have a good selection of bricks and bulk packs for $.05+

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

HKGuns
04-09-16, 13:11
And not the good kind.

Oh hell no! :)

tacticaldesire
04-09-16, 17:27
Short answer. Yes, neckbeards are still buying it up. I've stumbled upon it at Walmart and Dunhams 3 times in the past year probably. 50 round boxes of that Aguila stuff for $6 a box. and CCI Stingers for the same price per 50. I bought a couple boxes for family and friends that want to teach their kids but I personally don't have much interest in the cartridge.

I'm sure the big box stores get it in, but it's gone within hours. You get your normal line up people when the shipment comes in, and then whatever is left is bought up by johnny who calls bubba who calls billy, who calls cooter etc. Demand on .22 and ammunition in general is up significantly since the sandy hook atrocity but .22 seems to be the most visibly affected still.

ST911
04-09-16, 17:50
This is getting ridiculous. Is anyone even remotely close to $0.05/rd anymore? I was seeing 10c/rd a few months ago but now it seems to be up to 15c/rd. Does anyone have any factual data on why this stuff is still so scarce? Are neckbeards still camping out at Walmarts?

Region and vendor dependent. I routinely walk by quantities of CCI, AE, and Rem .22lr at .07-.10/rd and the premium target grades for more. Scheels and Cabelas in MN, the dakotas, and Nebraska seem to get it regularly. At one, quantities of AE at 4.99/50 were unlimited and sat for awhile. It just isn't much of a thing.

Haven't seen .03-.05 rounds and I don't know that we will again.

Eurodriver
04-09-16, 21:48
I just came back from a Bass Pro shop here in FL.

They had 500rd bricks of Remington for $29.99...well, they had it listed. Shelf was empty Qty limit of 1 box per person.

Guy said 3 days a week they get a pallet of it and the same old guys come in when the store opens and buy one, go to the car. Come back, buy one, go to the car, and repeat the process.

****ing ridiculous!

kwg020
04-09-16, 22:40
We are seeing very little in our area but I believe it has to do with the guys who are retired and have the free time to show up when it hits the shelves and buy it all to resale on the internet.

kwg

Springfield
04-10-16, 06:14
I have not seen a brick of normal .22 ammo in years around here and refuse to pay obscene prices. I hope all these people buying it to resell choke and die. My solution was to buy a .17 HMR for light plinking and pest control as the ammo is easy to find and the accuracy/terminal ballistics are impressive for a rimfire.

joedirt199
04-10-16, 08:56
It doesn't help that our range around here does old guys .22 shoots on every wednesday. Not only do they have time to camp out at walmart and buy up all the stock, they have a day at the range to bullshit and piss it away.

ST911
04-10-16, 09:07
It doesn't help that our range around here does old guys .22 shoots on every wednesday. Not only do they have time to camp out at walmart and buy up all the stock, they have a day at the range to bullshit and piss it away.

Added this to my retirement plans. :p

Kain
04-10-16, 09:11
Added this to my retirement plans. :p

I was going to say, I don't see the problem here. My old man usually spends 4 days a week at the local trap ranges bullshitting and shooting a little while hanging out with the other old retired farts. Hell on thursdays they go out to the range more as a reason then to get breakfast than anything. At least those guys are buying it to shoot it. Hell, buy them a few beers and you can probably talk them into grabbing a brick for you.

ubet
04-10-16, 22:58
Guy said 3 days a week they get a pallet of it and the same old guys come in when the store opens and buy one, go to the car. Come back, buy one, go to the car, and repeat the process.

****ing ridiculous!

Why do they keep selling to them? That's the pisser.

Eurodriver
04-11-16, 10:45
I thought about that but the ammo is out on the shelf. So the people at the registers on the other side of the store probably have no idea there is even a limit.

Tigereye
04-11-16, 20:29
The Gander Mountain here gets 22lr at times but it seems very unpredictable. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the same folks buy it up each week. A couple of the ammo dept. employees are pretty good about holding customers to limits.

Eurodriver
04-12-16, 11:54
Couldn't decide if this belonged here or in the GD "Dumbest things overheard in the gun store" thread.

Was going around looking for 22 (I've got a new badass 22 on the way so I need to stock up) and found a LGS with a pretty good collection on the shelf. These are good people - not FUDDS at all. There is a large woman at the counter in the middle of buying something, but the female employee knows me and quickly helps me out.

"Have you got any 22?" (hadn't seen it yet) and she goes
"Yeah, a whole bunch. What are you looking for?"
"whatever the cheapest bricks you have are I'm just looking for plinking ammo for a pistol."

Heavy set woman chimes in:

"I shoot lots of 22 at little spiders in my house. I buy that there black copper stuff from Winchester. It's cheap for what it is! Only $70 for five hunderrd"

:blink: "I'm sorry, what?"

"That there 22 is real good for blastin!"

"No no no, you shoot at spiders? Inside your house? With a firearm?"

"Yessir! Kills 'em dead where they sit."

"Beyond the fact that you are discharging a firearm in your home...presumably made out of wood, drywall, and maybe masonry...why don't you just call an exterminator? Aren't you worried about shooting out the tires?"

"Cuz that there 22 is a lot cheaper than any bug man I ever known!"

"I'll take a brick of the CCI SVs..." as the employee looks at me with a concern on her face that screams "I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to keep selling her stuff after that?"

Part of me wants to think she's stupid, or a liar, or senile...but this was Polk County, Florida so she is probably back in her house shooting at spiders as I type this telling her husband Cleetus how crazy I am for not knowing the logical response to a spider problem is 22 black copper rounds.

HeruMew
04-12-16, 12:24
Couldn't decide if this belonged here or in the GD "Dumbest things overheard in the gun store" thread.

Was going around looking for 22 (I've got a new badass 22 on the way so I need to stock up) and found a LGS with a pretty good collection on the shelf. These are good people - not FUDDS at all. There is a large woman at the counter in the middle of buying something, but the female employee knows me and quickly helps me out.

"whatever the cheapest bricks you have are I'm just looking for plinking ammo for a pistol."

"I shoot lots of 22 at little spiders in my house. I buy that there black copper stuff from Winchester. It's cheap for what it is! Only $70 for five hunderrd"

"Beyond the fact that you are discharging a firearm in your home...presumably made out of wood, drywall, and maybe masonry...why don't you just call an exterminator? Aren't you worried about shooting out the tires?"

"I'll take a brick of the CCI SVs..." as the employee looks at me with a concern on her face that screams "I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to keep selling her stuff after that?"

Part of me wants to think she's stupid, or a liar, or senile...but this was Polk County, Florida so she is probably back in her house shooting at spiders as I type this telling her husband Cleetus how crazy I am for not knowing the logical response to a spider problem is 22 black copper rounds.

I think this should be consider a "Two-Fer". This could be posted in both. Haha!

On that topic, I have heard of this happening before, but with rats.

Both are crazy as hell to be doing inside of a home. Even avoiding the sane alternatives to resolving the problem, there are still methods that are less insane than that!

Thanks for sharing Euro, and boy is that a crazy story.

The worst story at my LGS (the one that actually stocks firearms. My primary FFL is a gunsmith who doesn't retail any arms) is when the worker got a horrible look from me as he told me it was $45 for a transfer and $40 for any consecutive transfer in the same "purchase/pickup". I must have looked at him like I got insulted, because I told him unless they could offer me a better price than online, I would never pay for that fee. Since then, I have gone through my $20 FFL guy regularly.

It's been over a year since I stepped in the LGS last.

On topic, I order online from Gander, have it shipped to in store. Even when it's not on the shelves, you can get it to you within days after your purchase. Free shipping to store. Pickup when you get the call.

I don't believe it was this thread, but another, in which people had this issue. It's not a well known secret, but any obscure ammo, that is hard to find, search on Gander's webpage, and have it shipped to a store near you.

I missed out hard when they Remington Bucket-o-bullets 3 weeks ago. :(

Tigereye
04-12-16, 13:25

You know, you just can't make this stuff up!

JBhunter
04-12-16, 14:00
Short answer. Yes, neckbeards are still buying it up. I've stumbled upon it at Walmart and Dunhams 3 times in the past year probably. 50 round boxes of that Aguila stuff for $6 a box. and CCI Stingers for the same price per 50. I bought a couple boxes for family and friends that want to teach their kids but I personally don't have much interest in the cartridge.

I'm sure the big box stores get it in, but it's gone within hours. You get your normal line up people when the shipment comes in, and then whatever is left is bought up by johnny who calls bubba who calls billy, who calls cooter etc. Demand on .22 and ammunition in general is up significantly since the sandy hook atrocity but .22 seems to be the most visibly affected still.

Still haven't found the Fed plated HP or Rem GB that my guns like anywhere except .10/rd+ at the gun show. Cabela's had all the match ammo in 50rd boxes you can buy last weekend, no bulk. Saw some 325rd Fed lead there once in the last few years. Don't see the point when I can reload plated 9mm for the same price.

kenny256
04-14-16, 16:41
I find it once in a while, but never plinking ammo quality.

I have a bass pro near me but never make it there often enough to get anything.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JasonB1
04-19-16, 21:17
If you are around any Academy stores they seem to keep .22LR in stock, often at the customer service desk by the front door.

Think 325 Federal Auto match was @ $20 a box or less

merdenoms
06-01-16, 11:18
I can currently get 500 rounds of Federal for around $30.

tb417
06-01-16, 17:34
I can currently get 500 rounds of Federal for around $30.
Please tell me where.

I was at Wal-Mart Friday just as they were stocking the case. First time in years they had some, 100 round Blazer box for $10. They seemed shocked that I didn't want it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

pinzgauer
06-02-16, 09:07
I was at Wal-Mart Friday just as they were stocking the case. First time in years they had some, 100 round Blazer box for $10. They seemed shocked that I didn't want it.

I don't get the Walmart thing... LMGS has had CCI plated 100 round packs for $10 in pallet quantities for months. I'll wait till it gets to $7-8/100.

Or they start making bulk again.

Same place is $5/50 unplated junk ammo though.

Also routinely has brass blazer 9mm for $9-10 in 115 & 124g

sevenhelmet
06-02-16, 09:17
Walmart here had birdshot .22 loads when I walked by the ammo shelf last week... all other .22 spots were empty.

You can easily get .22LR online though now.

merdenoms
06-02-16, 11:37
Oops, I didn't specify. It's at Academy Sports here in Texas. An employee noticed me walking around with a small box of .22 and tipped me off that they had cheaper stuff behind the counter. My local Academy usually has some of the best prices on ammo, primers, and bullets.

Averageman
06-02-16, 17:12
I have to admit that I have been stocking up on .22.
I like to shoot it, I shoot it a lot and when I see it, I buy it. I've probably got 5K rounds at the house, but between me and my Nephews (6) that should hold us until Christmas.