PDA

View Full Version : take down pins extremely tight on new rifle?

jeri534
08-22-08, 22:56
So I finished putting my rifle together tonight, it consists of

Stag Lower
Stag LPK
LMT 16" upper

It is extremely difficult to push the pins in to complete the halves, on the front pivot pin, I pretty much have to hit it with a rubber mallet to get it to go all the way, taking it off is even worse, I have to drive it out with a metal punch. With the rear its a bits easier, the pin will go in about 3/4 then it will be really hard to push it in all the way, it is even harder to push it out I have to use a punch.

Now when the rifle is just held by the pivot pin, the two haves move freely and I dont feel any tension.

Im really confused as to what could cause this? Ive never had an AR-15 fit this tightly together.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Stickman
08-22-08, 23:31
Not uncommon, it will loosen up as its fired. I have had a few issued to me that were a beast to get apart.

gkanga
08-23-08, 00:06
Some are tight, some aren't. Shoot a few hundred rounds and it should be fine.

xm15
08-23-08, 23:11
I wish, I have a VLTOR upper and a noveske N4 lower.I have to drive them out.been that way since I got it a year ago.a few thousand rounds later it's still the same.
as long as it has been I can't ask them about it.

RallySoob
08-25-08, 08:54
its a much better problem to have than the wiggle... After about 500-1000rnds it should feel perfect. I had the same issue with my RRA lower/Vltor Upper

TheActivePatriot
08-25-08, 17:07
I had a RRA lower and CMT upper like that once. As has been said, it'll loosen up with use. For the time being, I found that lubing the takedown and pivot pins well with CLP helped somewhat... YMMV

buckshot1220
08-25-08, 21:54
A little oil on the pins and a few hundred rounds and you should be good to go.

Glin1216
08-26-08, 01:32
I had this problem and it didn't loosen up after shooting.
Someone else had recommended I try to back out my buffer-tube a single turn. I did so and the buffer-detent + spring stayed in place, tried to marry up the upper and lower and all was well. Your mileage may vary.

OldNavyGuy
08-26-08, 10:21
i too had this problem and after a thousand or so rounds it was still needing the plastic mallet treatment, so i removed the front pivot pin wrapped a wooden dowel with some fine emery cloth and hand turned it several times checking the pin fit till i could push the pin out with my fingers, repeated for the rear pin, now this rifle is one of the tightest fitting of my ARs, no wobble between upper and lower.

CAUTION !! do NOT use any power tools for this job, hands and fingers only, go slowly and check often as it does not take much.

Col_Crocs
08-26-08, 17:25
Is it really necessary to loosen it up? I understand the importance from a military stand point but what about for us range shooters?

xm15
08-26-08, 22:19
Is it really necessary to loosen it up? I understand the importance from a military stand point but what about for us range shooters?

well, if it is like my VLTOR/N4 I have to pound out the takedown pin.so when there is a reason to open it up it aint gonna happen unless I have tools.

but the dowel/emery ,I gotta do that.