PDA

View Full Version : OSS Alpha - Griffin Flash Comp - PWS FSC Mod 2 - Precision AFAB?

EO3
04-09-16, 00:04
Anyone have experience with any of the listed devices? I want something that keeps the muzzle nice and flat, but doesn't have a flash that obstructs the optic, and preferably doesn't rattle the teeth of the people next to me. I'm open to other suggestions that fit this bill as well. Let me know if you have any experience with these! It's going on a 16" middy.

GFX_9
04-09-16, 00:30
Deleted

MWT
04-09-16, 09:12
A little early to know about the PWS FSC Mod2 since it isn't out yet, but I had their version 1 on a new rifle, and I removed it after the first range trip. Excellent recoil control, very flat, but the concussion and flash was horrible. I replaced it with a BCM Gunfighter Comp from a friend who was suppressing his new rifle. Way less flash, way less blast, but at the cost of muzzle control, but I am still happy and it will stay. The Precision Armament EFAB and AFAB, are from what I heard and read here, awesome. I would not hesitate to get them.

GH41
04-09-16, 10:31
Anyone have experience with any of the listed devices? I want something that keeps the muzzle nice and flat, but doesn't have a flash that obstructs the optic, and preferably doesn't rattle the teeth of the people next to me. I'm open to other suggestions that fit this bill as well. Let me know if you have any experience with these! It's going on a 16" middy.

The problem with hybrids is they don't do anything really well. If you never shot anything but an A2 any of the listed MDs might feel good to you. If you ever shot a 3Gun comp shooting a hybrid will feel like shooting a barrel with nothing on it. It's all about how much you want to compromise. Of the 4 you mention I have only owned the AFAB. It was better than an A2 but it's the kind of better you get used to in a hurry. Not worth the price in my opinion. Unless they changed the FSC it's pretty loud. I want to try the OSS but with what happened with the company I am not sure it will ever be in stock again.

ColtSeavers
04-09-16, 10:35
The OSS Alpha does not seem to be worth the price.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/556-muzzle-device-shootout/

Have read nothing but good things about the PA EFAB/AFAB.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/04/jeremy-s/ar-15-muzzle-brake-shootout-2/
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/06/jeremy-s/ar-15-flash-hider-shootout/

Full disclosure: No personal experience with any of the devices listed by the OP.

bad aim
04-09-16, 12:16
I'm in the exact same boat as you are and have narrowed it down to the AFAB, EFAB, or Surefire Warcomp. Obviously, if I wanted a SF can down the line, the Warcomp makes the most sense, but that journey won't be for a while and who knows what's on the market by then.

Like what GH41 mentioned, a hybrid is jack of all trades, but master of none. Decisions, decision, decisions.

EO3
04-09-16, 12:43
I'm in the exact same boat as you are and have narrowed it down to the AFAB, EFAB, or Surefire Warcomp. Obviously, if I wanted a SF can down the line, the Warcomp makes the most sense, but that journey won't be for a while and who knows what's on the market by then.

Like what GH41 mentioned, a hybrid is jack of all trades, but master of none. Decisions, decision, decisions.

It's such a tough decision. There are so many choices for all AR parts, but I always have the hardest time with choosing a muzzle device. It seems as if the best option really is just to buy and try, and if it isn't what you want, you just have to pay the price of selling it off used and losing a bit of money.

EO3
04-09-16, 12:44
I want to try the OSS but with what happened with the company I am not sure it will ever be in stock again.

I guess I'm not in the loop. What happened with OSS?

GH41
04-09-16, 13:59
The OSS Alpha does not seem to be worth the price.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/556-muzzle-device-shootout/

Have read nothing but good things about the PA EFAB/AFAB.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/04/jeremy-s/ar-15-muzzle-brake-shootout-2/
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/06/jeremy-s/ar-15-flash-hider-shootout/

Full disclosure: No personal experience with any of the devices listed by the OP.

I didn't get that take at all. The problem with test is it only tells you what pushed the sled more or less in the test. It's not exactly a scientific test. A plastic sled with a loose rock in it. Jerking the trigger with a sharpie. What the test doesn't do is tell you how they feel. How much jump? Is the impulse sharp or more of a push? Do the sights dance around? Concussion? Too many other things to judge a muzzle device by than simply moving a sled.

turnburglar
04-09-16, 14:53
I researched this recently and TTAG has a HUGE database on muzzle devices. The griffin flash comp/AFAB design seems to be the best performing TACTICAL device. Flash suppression only slightly higher than an A2, with a 50% recoil reduction. I can't comment on blast, as I haven't seen decibel testing nor have extensive time with either. However I'd assume either device won't be bad as there seems to be a correlation with blast and flash.

ColtSeavers
04-09-16, 15:15
I didn't get that take at all. The problem with test is it only tells you what pushed the sled more or less in the test. It's not exactly a scientific test. A plastic sled with a loose rock in it. Jerking the trigger with a sharpie. What the test doesn't do is tell you how they feel. How much jump? Is the impulse sharp or more of a push? Do the sights dance around? Concussion? Too many other things to judge a muzzle device by than simply moving a sled.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not trying to pass off a 'Backyard' test as completely scientific in any way. I am simply conveying recent testing done that includes the muzzle devices in question to give that much more info to people. It is also why I made sure to post that I have no personal experience with the devices listed by the OP. If someone finds the testing to be useful, great, if not, hey, no worries.

EO3, OSS seemed to have 'went under' a little while ago. Their product was not in stock anywhere and their website defunct. I have no idea If they have 'bounced back' since then or not, but it is something to look into as there were also reports of money lost and/or items being recieved fter a very very long time.

223to45
04-09-16, 17:18
I have used the PWS FSC ( not mod 2) . Loved it.
Found it controlled my rifle very well. Found almost no flash .It was only loud if someone stood off to the side of the shooter.

I only replaced it with a GA flash comp because I bought a GA suppressor. But I have found it also worked very well also.

I

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

EO3
04-09-16, 17:18
EO3, OSS seemed to have 'went under' a little while ago. Their product was not in stock anywhere and their website defunct. I have no idea If they have 'bounced back' since then or not, but it is something to look into as there were also reports of money lost and/or items being recieved fter a very very long time.

HK just won the Army's CSASS contract to replace the M110 with their G28, and it includes an OSS suppressor... so I'm guessing money-wise, they're going to be doing just fine. I did a bit of reading, and I guess a lot of employees left the company recently. They seem to have a lot of innovation in what they do - would be cool to see them come back in full force. Maybe the HK contract is what they needed to get things straightened out!

GH41
04-09-16, 17:29
"Please don't get me wrong"

No problem with your comments at all. The test may help guys decide in a general sense but beyond that it is a crap shoot. Let's make up an example... Comp A moves the sled 4" and comp B moves it 2". The test results imply comp B is twice as good at reducing recoil than comp A. When both are compared mounted and fired from a naked human shoulder those numbers might be 1/8" vs 1/4". Two inches sounds like a big deal. An 1/8 inch doesn't but it is still a 100% spread. If the comp A shooter skinny and the comp B shooter is fat is the field leveled? I don't think so. If I could commission the perfect MD it would have the recoil reduction of a tank brake, flash sig of a 249F, be 1" long and weigh a half an ounce but that ain't gonna happen!

GH41
04-09-16, 17:30
HK just won the Army's CSASS contract to replace the M110 with their G28, and it includes an OSS suppressor... so I'm guessing money-wise, they're going to be doing just fine. I did a bit of reading, and I guess a lot of employees left the company recently. They seem to have a lot of innovation in what they do - would be cool to see them come back in full force. Maybe the HK contract is what they needed to get things straightened out!

Including the founder of OSS.

antlad
04-09-16, 18:33
I have the griffin flashcomp and have been very happy with its performance. I had to slightly clock it to keep it perfectly flat but it was no big deal. It's a bit concussive compared to the a2 for adjacent shooters. It also has more flash depending on the load. H335 tends to be flashy but it's only noticeable in lower light.

imaguy3
04-09-16, 19:59
I had the griffin flashcomp, and I loved the muzzle control but several coworkers complained it was abusive to them if they were next to me. Likewise it was hard on my ears when using the gun for hunting without earpro.

I recently put their linear comp. on and have no intention of changing it out. Gives good muzzle control still (even with only the three ports). But more importantly to me, it is way more friendly to my coworkers and my ears when hunting.

There is some flash at night, but I've not had any issues with any shooting.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/imaguy3/Screenshot_2016-02-26-10-26-00.png_zpstunwjzcv.jpeg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/imaguy3/Screenshot_2016-02-26-10-25-50.png_zpszgzelrbr.jpeg

EO3
04-09-16, 20:39
I had the griffin flashcomp, and I loved the muzzle control but several coworkers complained it was abusive to them if they were next to me. Likewise it was hard on my ears when using the gun for hunting without earpro.

I recently put their linear comp. on and have no intention of changing it out. Gives good muzzle control still (even with only the three ports). But more importantly to me, it is way more friendly to my coworkers and my ears when hunting.

There is some flash at night, but I've not had any issues with any shooting.

So, for the purposes of this thread - say the Flash Comp was a 10 out of 10 in muzzle control. How would you compare this linear comp to it in regard to muzzle control? Is it just as good? Or more like a 6/10? The lessened concussion is appealing to me. If this performs almost as well as the flash comp without the concussion, maybe I'll go with it.

Stickman
04-09-16, 20:40
The OSS Bannar works exceedingly well in my opinion, I'm not sure how many others have tried it. Below you can see the largest amount of muzzle flash we could get firing 3-5 round bursts on a dark stormy day. Obviously a belt fed is heavier, but even on a 16" carbine recoil is just about negated.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/7aa9e352ceec99fb8aa267dbfec4da53/tumblr_nxsrvgt9MF1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

EO3
04-09-16, 20:43
The OSS Bannar works exceedingly well in my opinion, I'm not sure how many others have tried it. Below you can see the largest amount of muzzle flash we could get firing 3-5 round bursts on a dark stormy day. Obviously a belt fed is heavier, but even on a 16" carbine recoil is just about negated.

Glad to hear from someone who has shot it. I guess I'll ask you, Stick - do you have any idea where I could find one of these in stock? I really want to try one out.

imaguy3
04-09-16, 21:01
So, for the purposes of this thread - say the Flash Comp was a 10 out of 10 in muzzle control. How would you compare this linear comp to it in regard to muzzle control? Is it just as good? Or more like a 6/10? The lessened concussion is appealing to me. If this performs almost as well as the flash comp without the concussion, maybe I'll go with it.

I'm shooting a 16" lightweight mid-length... I would say it's pretty darn close to the flash comp in muzzle control... The real thing I notice is the lack of abusive concussion. IMHO that is a much greater benefit..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLpb7wuU3C0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s5wOyPf6us

Stickman
04-09-16, 21:53
Glad to hear from someone who has shot it. I guess I'll ask you, Stick - do you have any idea where I could find one of these in stock? I really want to try one out.

No, I did a quick search and came up negative.

EO3
04-09-16, 22:32
No, I did a quick search and came up negative.

Damn. Thanks, anyway. Maybe I'll have to hunt someone down who has one that is willing to give it up, or at least let me borrow it.

Anyone have an OSS Bannar Alpha and want to give it up? :D

WS6
04-09-16, 23:34

I would go with a Warcomp. I had a PWS FSC 556 back when they first very very first came out in what, 2006ish? It worked pretty well, but there was flash about the size of a tennis ball from my 20" that it was on. The Warcomp I have, it keeps the muzzle pretty flat, and has similar flash to what comes out of the ejection port of a 9mm pistol. Virtually nil.

Couple that with the Vltor A5 system running the best buffer for your weapon, and you're going to have a very flat shooting rifle. Here is my setup compared to bare muzzle, although I have changed the buffer/spring in the A5 since this video:

Bare Muzzle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3y0g0vHGYM

WS6
04-09-16, 23:34
Warcomp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JvAlzr1leM

WS6
04-09-16, 23:35
Warcomp at night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgiZaecMo3A

GH41
04-10-16, 15:49
Looks like you are fighting the gun in the video. The flash is certainly tamed but the gun appears to jump around quite a bit. At what point do you have to consider how much the weight of a MD contributes to the feel? The Warcomp is pushing 4 ounces.

WS6
04-10-16, 17:52
Looks like you are fighting the gun in the video. The flash is certainly tamed but the gun appears to jump around quite a bit. At what point do you have to consider how much the weight of a MD contributes to the feel? The Warcomp is pushing 4 ounces.

I am doing my very best to keep it level in both vids. In the warcomp vid, I over-compensated holding it down because there was less rise, the first couple of shots. The WC doesn't do much of anything for recoil, mainly muzzle-rise. I don't know for sure, but I bet the Warcomp CT is lighter by at least an ounce due to less material in the "tines" section.

badness
04-11-16, 05:18
take a look at the precision armament E-FAB.

This isn't my video, however considering the rifle in the vid is a 10.5" sbr, i'd say it works pretty damn well for flash suppression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EYBW-AMu8s