PDA

View Full Version : Sling 1 to 2 point convertable sling recommendation

bob4432
04-09-16, 07:52
Read a lot but figured this thread could put a finalization on a sling recommendation.

Requirements:
- 1 to 2 point convertible

- Easily adjustable, something that just works w/ easy body movements - don't want a complicated sling - K.I.S.S.

- Would like to just have 1 sling type fir multiple ARs - from a lightweight SBR to a 20" heavy barrel varmit to s Bolt Action rig in caliber 5.56, 300BLK & ?

- Will not interfere w/ optics from a T1 to a large or even night optic - basically the full ballistic ability from 5.56, 300BLK & ?

- QD designed from the beginning, not an after thought

- NO Interferance w/ weapon functionality

- Interface w/ Bolt Action Firearm (if possible? )

- Ease of adjustability is a must

- Padded?

- No Chafing regadless of how much sweat/heat/humidity

- No way for sling to easily become disconnected from weapon

I think that covers it, if I missed something, please LMK

- Preter items you have used and have first hand knowledge of, not something you have read about because, well you are probably in the same position I am in

- Price (within reason), would rather buy once, cry once if expensive

I think that covers it, if I missed something, please LMK
Thanks,
Bob

Mikill Drengr
04-09-16, 08:46
SOE Gear

Alex V
04-09-16, 09:05
I've always had good luck with the Magpul MS...whatever number it is now.

HSP released one recently as well that seems pretty good tho I have not had any first hand knowledge.

intense
04-09-16, 09:16
388103880938808I purchased a Magpul MS3 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-MS3-Single-QD-Multi-Mission-Sling-BLACK-p/mag506-black.htm) for my DDM4V5 that I think would meet your criteria. I chose a QD rear and paraclip front option, but it is available in other configurations to suit your needs. It adjusts with a slide like the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling (which I also have, on my bcm) that seems to be highly regarded around here, difference being the Vickers has a webbing tab to move the slider and the m/p has a larger slider you grab directly.

titsonritz
04-09-16, 10:30
SOE Gear

Not a fan of the tail.

QD sling of choice + IWC 2 to 1 Point Sling Triglide (http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/category/mount-n-slot/sling-adapters/)

Vickers 221 (https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-combat-applications-sling-2-to-1.html)

Lopro619
04-09-16, 11:18
I've got a padded vickers 221. It's nice.

b2dap1
04-09-16, 11:37
Vickers slings are what I settled on. They make great stuff.

Butch
04-09-16, 11:54
Don't mean to highjack butt...

This thread had me searching and I was surprised at the amount of video I seen where the demonstrators, when switching from 1 to 2 point, also switched the attachment points. For the 1-point, the sling is attached at or near the receiver. For 2-point, they would move the sling to the QD at the rear of the stock.

My question is how important is that, and how many of you actually do that? Seems like all the recommended stocks I see being recommended on this forum only provide for the latter.

noonesshowmonkey
04-09-16, 12:55
I am a big fan of the Magpul MS4. It adapts easily to whatever mounting points you choose to use (fore-end, rail near mag well, end plate, stock), and once set, has little to no tail. The sliding adjuster moves easily and bites down when you set it. The 2-1 adapter has an ergonomic cant to it that keeps the sling from bunching/folding on itself when set up as a single point. Great sling.

titsonritz
04-09-16, 13:01
Don't mean to highjack butt...

This thread had me searching and I was surprised at the amount of video I seen where the demonstrators, when switching from 1 to 2 point, also switched the attachment points. For the 1-point, the sling is attached at or near the receiver. For 2-point, they would move the sling to the QD at the rear of the stock.

My question is how important is that, and how many of you actually do that? Seems like all the recommended stocks I see being recommended on this forum only provide for the latter.

I pretty much just stick with my sling (VCAS) setup as a 2 point at the outside rear stock position when using QD attachment but have a QD end plate should I want to use a single point.

MountainRaven
04-09-16, 13:23
I've used the Magpul MS2 and MS3 slings. Not hugely fond of the MS2, but the MS3 works OK on an AK. Frankly, the Magpul MS2 and MS3 strike me as being slings that were designed first as a single-point and second as a two-point, as they work well as one-points but not so well as two-points.

My favorite slings are the BFG VCAS family. These were designed as two-point slings first and the one-point sling is more an afterthought - but I find they work well in a one-point mode. They're very simple with no tail or excess sling to get caught on things. Very clean, very smooth, very easy to use. Of course, I'm not the biggest fan of one-point slings.

As for changing where the sling is mounted: I can see that. When running the sling in two-point mode, it makes sense to get the sling to attach as far across the rifle as possible: Front sling point as close to the muzzle as possible, rear point as close to the butt of the stock as possible. This way you can use the sling as a true shooting sling and not merely as a carrying strap. When utilizing the sling as a single-point sling, the rear of the receiver is pretty much the standard place to mount the sling. So if you're going through the giant pain in the butt that is converting a two-point sling to a single-point sling and vice versa - and assuming you want maximum efficiency with each mode - it makes sense to go through the whole conversion process of remounting the sling.

Of course, if you're running the sling in a one-point mode and you need to convert to two-point to carry the rifle more securely, you can just attach the front point of the sling and leave the rear at the rear of the receiver. Alternatively, you can leave the rear point at the rear of the receiver at all times (and then have some consistency with how you run other weapons where the rear of the receiver is pretty much where you're going to be putting your rear sling point no matter what - generally rifles of a folding stock variety, like AKs, Para FALs, SCARs, &c.)

While I would like to try the HSP D3 sling at some point, for your uses I would recommend the BFG VCAS 221 slings.

nightchief
04-09-16, 15:41
I have an HSP D3 and a MS4...

I prefer the HSP sling as the strap that is attached to the QD end plate in narrower and more flexible than the MS4. The HSP uses a narrower QD connector also. I found when switching from right to left handed, that the HS4 got in the way more. Additionally, after carrying around the rifle on the range for about an hour, the MS4 started to chafe my neck a bit. HSP has a nice thin pad right in that spot that prevents this. If you have thick chest (like I do), the HSP is at its maximum adjustment, with very little strap tail. I had it come loose one time, because I had the end of the strap so close to the end of the adjustment buckle. I need Mr. Haley to make a big and tall version! :)

The BFG Vickers 221 looks like a nice option too. I have the VCAS and its a terrific sling for walking around in the brush, especially when you need both hands free.

All of my sling experience is on a range or in the Texas brush. No sort of combat or duty use.

NC

quackhead
04-09-16, 15:43
I am quite fond of the BFG vickers sling- have only used the 2 point version in padded and I padded favors for many years now. It is my favorite GP use sling. It is a great sling for patrolling as well as standard carry and security- if I have to do prisoner searches/handling very good to sling rifle to rear and cinch down- also good for me use while practicing buddy aid.

I have used the magpul ( whatever model converts from 1-2 pt) for a couple years now as a specialty sling. It works well as a 2 point sling. I like the ability to convert to single point for vehicle use as I can disconnect the sling and still have it attached to me-fairly easy to connect back to rifle this allows me to use rifle in vehicle if needed and from various positions without getting hung up. I also like to run it as a single point for CQB in tight quarters. These are just my preference

If wearing armor, I find the padded versions not needed

3ACR_Scout
04-09-16, 17:20
If wearing armor, I find the padded versions not needed
I may have mentioned this somewhere here before, but I personally find that the padding is not only not needed, but it actually gets in the way when wearing armor. The seams at each end of the pad get caught on my armor as I handle my rifle, causing little "hitches" and preventing the sling from moving smoothly as I shift the weapon around. I have two padded VCAS slings for the home / range and a non-padded one for work. The 221 is an excellent sling.

Dave

Skipper1969
04-09-16, 18:10
I chose the Magpul MS4 and it does everything I need a sling to do. Patrol rifle, Recce, AR Pistol, and shotgun all set up for the same sling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titsonritz
04-09-16, 20:24
I may have mentioned this somewhere here before, but I personally find that the padding is not only not needed, but it actually gets in the way when wearing armor. The seams at each end of the pad get caught on my armor as I handle my rifle, causing little "hitches" and preventing the sling from moving smoothly as I shift the weapon around. I have two padded VCAS slings for the home / range and a non-padded one for work. The 221 is an excellent sling.

Dave

Agreed. As much as I liked my padded VCAS slings for their comfort and weight distribution they are not as smooth as the non-padded versions when it come to moving the rifle into different position.

Rogue556
04-10-16, 12:15
Does anyone have experience with both the Vickers 221 and HSP slings? I'm actually looking to get a new QD sling and can't decide which is the better option between the two. Curious what those that have had both think of them in comparison to each other.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Brahmzy
04-10-16, 13:05
I just got a 221 VCAS and it's great. Ordering more. I bought Magpuls latest MS3 & MS4, and I just can't get into them.
Still feels like too much crap and bulk on the sling. The VCAS slings just seem more lightweight and streamlined for some reason. Love the stitched swivels too.

ssracer
04-11-16, 14:45
VCAS non padded with an IWC tri-glide to go from 2 to 1 point.