PDA

View Full Version : Palmetto State lower receiver

JediGuy
04-09-16, 10:04
Gentlemen,

Has anyone had difficulties with a registered SBR lower receiver from PSA? It would seem that as long as everything is in spec, the lower receiver wouldn't be a problem. I've fired several hundred rounds with my PSA lower mated to a BCM upper (as a pistol), so I know it functions properly. At this point, my understanding is that any issues would be with the parts attached to the lower receiver (LPK, buffer, etc) rather than the lower itself. From my reading on the forums here, and Google, most issues with PSA have been with upper assemblies, which I have no interest in purchasing.

From a financial standpoint, it would seem that a proven, in spec, solid lower receiver from any brand would be the same as any other, besides the roll mark and resale value. Am I missing something? I ask, because though I nearly pulled the trigger on a new BCM lower, I've not been able to justify the added expense ($395 vs $160 [if I bought a second lower]) once the tax stamp and engraving is added to the overall cost ($620 vs $395 [or $235 if using exiting lower]). Further, though I am rather comfortable financially, should I ever want or need to sell any firearms, it would seem that the BCM would see the greatest devaluation once my trust name is on there. I'd rather sell an engraved PSA lower for $30 than an engraved BCM lower for $50.

Ideally, I would by a factory SBR, which was my plan originally, but with a child on the way, an existing BCM 12.5" upper in hand, the lack of availability for the Colt 6933, and a practical wife (emphasis on the practical wife), this is not an option for me at this time.

I know this topic has been hashed and rehashed for years, but I'd appreciate any input. I've laid out my reasoning above, but I would appreciate it if someone would like to point out any flaws or misunderstanding on my part.

nml
04-09-16, 10:14
It sounds like money is a factor now. I would save money and not spend it on a trust and tax stamp and additional lowers. Shooting unsuppressed saving an extra 3.5" is not worth that. Congrats on incoming baby.

mack7.62
04-09-16, 17:43
PSA lowers have are/have been made by different companies to include LW Schneider Inc. and Aero Precision, but they seem to be decent quality.

tigershilone
04-09-16, 18:23
PSA forged lowers are more than adequate to SBR. Occasionally they will put out a lemon just like everyone else, but the lowers I've SBR'd are PSA's and have had no issues.

One thing I do like is their magwells are fully beveled.

Another plus is when doing a BATF Electronic Form 1 PSA is in the drop down menu for name/city of mfgr

Scotty ryan wrote this up in the stickies, pretty much sums it up https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?9830-How-to-SBR-Your-Lower-by-Scottryan

A5scott
04-10-16, 02:27
G&R Tactical might still have Colt 6933 in stock, I think for $1150

scott

JediGuy
04-10-16, 16:10
A5scott, I've been watching G&R for the better part of the year. Double-checked just now, and I'm not able to add to cart or back order.

Tigersilone, I'm re-reading the sticky again. Good to know PSA is in the dropdown.

Thanks, mack7.62. As long as I'm not looking at a likelihood of failure down the road.

nml, I appreciate your thoughts. As it stands, I already set up the trust several months ago and have the 12.5" Kino as my only upper right now, set up as a pistol. So, it looks like I'd have three options: a) leave as pistol (which I think will be found questionable within a few years), b) buy/trade for different quality upper, c) register as SBR. Since I'd rather not leave this as a pistol, my thought is that it'd be better to go ahead with any trust/NFA items before July.

Again, thanks for your input, guys.

Pappabear
04-10-16, 21:58
They key is you have run it and know it's in spec. And mags are not getting stuck in mag well Etc. So yes, it should be fine. The other parts can always be replaced. Go for it. Your assumptions are correct.

JediGuy
04-10-16, 22:43
Thanks, Pappa. Going for it.

A5scott
04-11-16, 00:25
Clyde Armory sometimes has them, but used. Here's a used DD for a pretty good price

http://clydearmory.com/used-daniel-defense-custom-sbr.html

scott

HCrum87hc
04-11-16, 08:12
My SBR was built with a PSA lower. Everything has been great so far. I'd definitely recommend testing it beforehand.

TNW
04-12-16, 08:28
Most lowers are good to go. The important thing is that you've tested it. If it mates up well, go for it. I keep track of how different uppers and lowers mate, and that's how I decide which ones to get for different builds. That said, I really like the Rainier lowers. Great all around and reasonably priced, and I like that anti wobble pin.