PDA

View Full Version : S&W SW22 Victory Review

Auto-X Fil
04-09-16, 10:30
I just received a S&W SW22 Victory pistol as a gift. With the first range session in the bag, I thought I'd post up my findings.

Cliff's Notes:

Accurate
Very Modular (lots of man-Barbie potential)
Easy to strip
Some cheap-feeling bits
Rail attachment looks wonky, but seems to work OK.

http://ptmaynard.com/guns/IMG_6795.JPG

http://ptmaynard.com/guns/IMG_6774.JPG

The gun is clearly made to a price-point, with lots of polymer parts. The grips, Picatinny rail, trigger, sights, and some of the internals are plastic. The safety (a very small, short-throw 1911-style thumb safety) and slide release appear to be plastic, but closer inspection shows them to be metal pieces with plastic covers.

Continuing with the bargain feel, you'll notice that the upper is a piece of stamped sheet metal wrapped into a squared-off tubular receiver, although the fit and finish are excellent - don't think Yugo AK stamping quality.

In general, the gun has some very clever bits to make it accurate, simple, cheap, and easy to work on. It has the vibe of a Savage bolt gun, for those familiar with them. For instance, there's a single screw that holds on the top rail or sight assembly. There's a wedge that holds the rear in place, and then a screw to hold the front down and press the back against the wedge. It's surprisingly positive, and with the low recoil of a heavy 22, it's probably fine. However, I'm sure a second screw, JB-Weld bedding, or other aftermarket mods will be common, especially when mounting a scope. I can feel a little movement of the back of the rail if I push on it, but I was unable to measure this with my calipers. This is mostly due to not having a good surface to index off. Just 0.003" of play would be 1" of error at 25yd, so I will keep an eye on this.

http://ptmaynard.com/guns/IMG_6772.JPG

Similarly, there is one screw to remove the upper from the lower (see the hole in front of the trigger guard). The bolt then pops out. Re-assembly is just as easy. For those used to Ruger 22 handguns... THANK GOD! One more screw pops off the barrel, which, like the upper and the rail, has a very clever, precision-machined interface for securing it. This whole gun is designed around being modular, and they have had Volquartsen working with them since the early development of the gun, to ensure a large aftermarket. A cheap gun with lots of plastic parts, which is easy to customize with zero gunsmithing skill... think that could be popular? I am suddenly thinking more highly of S&W management, of which I've been rather critical lately!

Finish is a nice satin silver, with noticeable roughness on the cast parts, which are the lower receiver and the bolt. Both are clearly cast, with a few critical dimensions machined after that. The cocking ridges on the bolt are cast-in, making them more rounded and less-positive than the machined cuts on most guns.

This shows the finish of the various metals pretty well:
http://ptmaynard.com/guns/IMG_6771.JPG

To summarize the feel of the gun - it's not an heirloom gun like my 66-1, but it's a cleverly designed piece with no obvious weaknesses from a reliability standpoint.

I mounted a Vortex Venom red dot. The dot is advertised as 3MOA, but I measure more like 4 MOA, even turned down all the way. That is, it neatly subtends a 1" target center at 25yd, which is 3.8MOA. That's very dim, with zero bloom, and almost impossible to pick up visually. I was only able to shoot at that low setting off bags, moving the gun to find the dot. Off-hand I needed it up a couple clicks, which bloomed a bit, but made it easy to pick up.

It was slightly breezy, upper 20's, and snowing rather heavily. I shot off bags. I am not a great red-dot shooter, and can't ever seem to group less than 2MOA with a dot. I fired a bunch of 10-shot groups, and they were very consistent. Here is a typical sample: CCI Standard Velocity solid LRN on the left, and Federal bulk junk on the right. Every group of CCI was less than 2" at 25yd, and every group of Federal was under 3". I am confident this barrel could make 1" 5-shot groups pretty consistently with the right ammo and shooter (certainly with a scope). Since I'll be shooting this mostly off-hand, where 4" is about as good as I ever manage, my accuracy research is done.

http://ptmaynard.com/guns/IMG_6770.JPG

The grip angle is like a Ruger MkII/III, not a steep 1911 angle. Being used to modern carry/combat guns, I kept pulling up with the barrel pointed too low. For a target gun... whatever. The slide release and safety work well enough - not awesome, but it's not a carry gun, so I won't bash them. The trigger is pretty good - there's an overtravel screw which the manual claimed was set at the factory, but it clearly wasn't. I tweaked that before the session. The trigger has a long take-up, and then a light, smooth, but long break. The sear is a piece of sheet metal that probably wouldn't take a set screw unless it was pretty tiny - but I might try anyway. The hammer could certainly be filed down to reduce engagement without changing the angle easily enough. The angles feel great, and I wouldn't touch them!

I should note that the gun will not fire with the mag out. The piece which provides this function is a long spring-loaded arm which appears to be easily removed. It pulls the trigger bar down so it won't engage the sear - without the mag safety bar, the trigger bar will automatically go up and work properly. Also, the trigger bar has a lump on top which looks like the same sort of thing that engages the firing pin safety on a Glock-style action. In this case, however, it fits into a groove in the bolt, preventing the bar from pulling the sear if the bolt is out-of-battery.

Waiting for me at my brother's house is a Volquartsen carbon-wrapped barrel. It shouldn't shoot any worse than this barrel, and it will be longer and lighter, and also threaded to accept the Spectre II that's in NFA jail right now. I can borrow a Sparrow to use - probably next weekend I'll try that with the new barrel.

Auto-X Fil
04-15-16, 05:01
Update:

I have installed the VQ carbon barrel. My Spectre II is still in jail, so I'm running a borrowed Warlock II (on the same trust, just not "mine" - so totally legal for me to possess). It's darned light, which makes it ideal for this gun - I'd have ordered a Warlock if this was the main host, but I'm also using it on a 17HMR. The barrel is over 3oz lighter than the factory unit, and this can is only 3oz, so it's actually LIGHTER than the factory setup. Muzzle and swing weight is up a bit due to the massively added length, but it's not really noticeable. Of course, I also shoot a 9" Super Redhawk, so I am not scared of a little muzzle weight.

Anyway, it's a hot setup. This Venom is a pretty good dot. In indirect outdoor light, the lowest brightness setting is perfect for precision work. If I was using this indoors, I'd want a dot that got quite a bit dimmer. But it's fine for outside. It holds zero well, although I find that tweaking the zero by <1MOA is a fiddly task. It tracks well over large adjustments, but moving a group 0.25" at 25yd is just a bump of the screw.

http://ptmaynard.com/guns/IMG_6795.JPG

The new barrel shoots just as well as the old. I have only tested Federal Bulk ammo, which is normally ~1.5", and CCI Standard Velocity, which is ~1" at 25yd with both barrels. My shooting ability probably dominates the group sizes. With a 4x scope I'm certain they would shrink quite a bit.

I tested POI shift with the suppressor removed, and it's very minimal, maybe 0.5" higher with the can on. Shift is repeatable.

A typical group, which happens to be from the new barrel:
http://ptmaynard.com/guns/IMG_6810.JPG

The grid is 1/4".

My best group - the flyer was a very bad trigger pull. This trigger will sometimes creep partway, and then hold that position when you release pressure. A smooth, steady pull makes this a non-issue, but when shooting from bags it was annoying a couple times. Now that the gun is set up I'm shooting almost exclusively off-hand, so I probably won't mess with it.
http://ptmaynard.com/guns/IMG_6811.JPG

Offhand at 30-35yd or so (with Federal ammo). I have gone 8/10 and 9/10 several times on this 4" plate, but never 10/10 yet. Note that when I do my part, I center-punch it. I'm sure a good shooter could punch <2" groups off-hand all day with this gun. There are 5 shots in that 1" group in the center.
http://ptmaynard.com/guns/IMG_6812.JPG

This is going to be a pretty awesome crow gun. The Federal has a lot more pop and cracks sometimes, so I'm looking for a hunting hollow-point at ~1000fps (from a 6" barrel). Suggestions?

Auto-X Fil
04-15-16, 05:16
Oh, I should note a couple issues:

I have had exactly one FTE with Federal ammo, and maybe 4-5 stovepipes, and/or FTEs with CCI. I believe the chamber is tight and does not tolerate any grit. It could also be a weak extractor. This CCI ammo has a lot of thick, waxy lube on the bullets. This is out of at least 500 rounds through the gun, so say a 1% malfunction rate. Obviously if this was a carry gun I'd be freaking out, but 22 target guns have never been a model of flawless function, so it doesn't bug me. I will be keeping track of what ammo it likes, and what sort of cleaning/lubing it needs.

Also, my groups deteriorated a bit when shooting the CCI with the VQ barrel, and my best CCI groups came right after a mag full of copper-plated high-velocity Federal. This did NOT happen with the factory barrel. I suspect leading, but didn't investigate further - the difference was small enough it could have just been my shooting.

Scrubber3
04-15-16, 16:48
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160415/64fafe141ef9d49fd441ea181bf81f12.jpg

I'm not sure how fast it'd be out of a 6 inch barrel but this is what I use.

Auto-X Fil
04-15-16, 17:27
Cool, that looks like a HP version of what I already use. I'll try to find some!