PDA

View Full Version : New to the site and I have some questions....

predator702
08-23-08, 01:19
As I said I'm new to the site. I just purchased a Colt LE Carbine (LE6920) and I'm contemplating changing the barrel from a 16" to 14.5", is this kind of modification on a carbine legal? I live in Nevada and I'm not to up-to-date on gun laws. Any help is appreciated.

spamsammich
08-23-08, 01:29
A 16" barrel is the federal minimum length for a rifle. Any shorter and you will have to register the gun as a short barreled rifle with the BATF and pay for a tax stamp that will allow you to legally possess the SBR. Also, the since the lower receiver is technically the serialized portion of the firearm, it will need to have additional information engraved into it as proof that it has been registered as a SBR. Note that not all states allow ownership of short barreled rifles. I believe Nevada does.

If you choose to cut it down and not register it with the BATF, you will have to permanently affix a flash suppressor to it that will bring the overall length of the barrel to 16" or over. Having two pinned 14.5" uppers, I can say that there is a slight difference in weight and ease of handling. But if I bought a Colt or other quality 16" barreled upper, I would not bother cutting it down. I don't see the benefit in it given the expense of cutting, then registering or cutting then pinning.