PDA

View Full Version : Question on Zeroing an Eotech

citizensoldier16
08-23-08, 03:39
I recently was loaned an Eotech 553 to try out. I'm thinking of buying it from a friend of mine and he let me borrow it "indefinately" to see if I liked it. Only problem is, it's not even close to being zeroed.

Let me run my plan by ya'll and tell what you think.

I have not yet zeroed my new BUIS, so I plan to do this first - say at 100 yards. I will do this without the Eotech on the rifle. Then, I will mount the Eotech and manipulate the reticle so that the point in the middle of the circle rests exactly on the tip of the fixed front sight post when holding a correct sight picture with the BUIS.

Will this give me an accurate zero so I can use the Eotech with the BUIS stowed in the "down" position, or should I zero the Eotech seperately? The rifle will be used primarily for range use, the occasional 3-gun match, and as a varmint gun on the farm...but it will also be available as a home defense or "Katrina" gun (along with my G17) should the SHTF. Please help!! :confused:

Robb Jensen
08-23-08, 06:31
If on a 5.56mm rifle either a 50yd POA/POI or a 100yd POA/POI is best. I much prefer a 50yd zero. I get it hitting POA/POI at 50yds then when given the opportunity to shoot 200yds I check it and adjust it to 200yd POA/POI.

ST911
08-23-08, 08:59
I like a 50yd zero. Zero the irons and optic separately. The method you suggest gets you darn close, but is a expedient method only.

Check and recheck your mount often. Change batteries often if the gun is standing by to do important things.

Note previous recall of 553.

Note that the 553 mount is not replaceable.

If you insist on an Eotech, buy a 552 with a Larue mount.

Broadway
08-24-08, 02:26
If this is a hobby rifle the eotech is fine. If this is possibly going to be used to defend your life or others don't get an eotech. We have had nothing but issues over the years with several of the eotech models. There is a litany of technical issues. Get an Aimpoint in a Larue mount, zero it for 50 yards, and don't look back.

Hat Creek
08-24-08, 17:37
Another vote for the 50 yard zero of irons and any other sighting system.

Can't get enthused about the EOTech as we are starting to send them back for repair. Ours are mildly used and not often out of the case.

My T1 was turned on last winter and has not been shut off since. We see EOTech's going TU with a few hours on the range. I'll grant that this depends on the knowledge and ability of the user, but the T1 does not need such care.

Now if this is just a plinking rifle and no one's life depends on it's function, I'm all for using whatever intrigues one. Since you can play with it for no cash outlay, by all means experiment. We'd like to hear how it turns out and what happens along the way.

RallySoob
08-25-08, 09:01
The amount of defective EOTechs in Comparison to the amount of EOTechs in production is very small. They had a bad batch or 2 as you can see. I and many other have never had a problem w/ EOTech. it is the fastest RDS/HWS available thus making it the best IMO. You can emprivise on battery life, but don't do it on target acquisition speed...

do a standard 50y/m zero. Make sure to zero your irons seperately from your EOTech. Its not a good idea to zero one sight off of another unless you have too. Get them both pin point accurate seperately and you'll have a correct absolute co-witness.

Solid
08-25-08, 14:35
I would start with a 50 yard zero, then you can check drop/rise at different distances. This way you know how your rifle behaves.