PDA

View Full Version : General Sling discussion

Jpoe88
04-10-16, 09:18
This has probably been covered before, I digress. I like the BFG VCAS. Over time, we as shooters evolve, which is why the search button can become obsolete.

I am looking for different makes/styles based on your individual need. For instance, I like the 2 pt because i feel like i can switch it to my back easily when i need to use my hands. Typically mounted on the stock and GG&G sling thing FSB. Also I dig the VCAS bc I can sinch it down when off hand.

Phx31
04-10-16, 10:59
I have 2 points slings on my personal rifle and patrol rifle. Closest I got to a single point was the MS4 sling which I had on my work rifle but can count on 2 fingers the times I switched from 2 point to single. For what I use my rifles for, 2 points work for me. Right now, I am trying a Proctor sling which I am kinda digging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Renegade0100
04-10-16, 11:42
I'm also a fan of 2 points. To me, it feels like I have the most control over the rifle and I like the ability to carry it on my back. I'm using a Magpul MS1 sling at the moment. It's very sturdy and no pieces of fabric dangle off of it when it's adjusted. That's always been a peeve of mine.

CCK
04-10-16, 11:45
I'm also a fan of 2 points. To me, it feels like I have the most control over the rifle and I like the ability to carry it on my back. I'm using a Magpul MS1 sling at the moment. It's very study and no pieces of fabric dangle off of it when it's adjusted. That's always been a peeve of mine.

Plus eleventy billion on the ms1

dbain99
04-10-16, 12:31
Two point, VTAC padded.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

zackmars
04-10-16, 16:28
2 point for me

I love my VCAS, well made, and i like the way it adjusts compared to my VTAC MK2

squid8286
04-10-16, 16:29
I realize this isn't really exciting, but I have a regular old USGI "Silent Sling" on all of my rifles. They work for what I do.

Jpoe88
04-10-16, 16:32
I realize this isn't really exciting, but I have a regular old USGI "Silent Sling" on all of my rifles. They work for what I do.

Boring. Nah, they are pretty cheap. I have a few that are rolled up in the parts bin. They do work. I keep one in my pack for a back up. Went on a hog hunt last year, my buddy was using a single point.. i put the single point in my bag and he used the silent sling 20 minutes into the hunt

Firefly
04-10-16, 16:42
I like the old od canvas GI sling.

I have em on my M1A and SP1. Lord help me they are awesome for hasty slinging. Should I get one, I'm gonna slap one on an A4 Colt.

Want a padded Vickers sling for my Clone SR25 and my store bought one.

Thinking Arid multicam for my brown and OD for my black.

I tried the Magpul ASAP and MS2 and it just wasn't comfortable long term. I sorta liked the bungee sling that blackhawk made more.

squid8286
04-10-16, 17:29

I have em on my M1A and SP1. Lord help me they are awesome for hasty slinging. Should I get one, I'm gonna slap one on an A4 Colt.

I tried the Magpul ASAP and MS2 and it just wasn't comfortable long term. I sorta liked the bungee sling that blackhawk made more.

If you are talking about the old Garand sling, I have those on my FALs.

Jpoe88
04-10-16, 18:43

I may use one of those on my current build thats winding down in a few weeks. The usgi one thst is.

dusterdude
04-10-16, 19:14
Just realized i too have a silent sling,my brother gave it to me recently

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

MegademiC
04-10-16, 20:08
1st off, I run 2pt vcas. I do a lot with my rifle and it's good for all of it.

2nd, not to hijack, but it's related: I have a buddy who's getting into ars and at his 1st course ( cqb style training ) he decided to buy a 1 pt (magpul to replace his vcas). I searched but didnot find much and I'm wondering what advantage 1pt has over 2pt for close quarters? I ran a sling in 1pt for about 2 sessions and switched back, I hated it, but I guess I don't know what I don't know.

Op, if you want me to start a new thread let me know and I'll edit my post.

Long Range Trigger Monkey
04-10-16, 20:23
I prefer a good two point sling because it is very versatile and effective. I own two VCAS slings for my AR's and have used a VTAC sling in the past. It also depends on what I'll be doing too, sometimes I use an Armageddon Gear PR sling for my dmr rifle.

I think one question that should be asked is how are guys utilizing the sling? I mean beyond the obvious purpose the sling is one of the most underutilized tools on a rifle in my opinion. I shoot many of the AR-centric matches that my local range puts on and most of the time when I see a sling it is left loose when it could be helping to provide more stability and aid accuracy. I'm not really talking about looping up or getting into a hasty sling either, even just cinching the sling tight so it starts pulling tension across your back can do wonders when shooting off of a barricade or off hand.

GFX_9
04-10-16, 20:38
Ms1 with the rear looped through my stock and around my cheekpiece, and the front end attached to the muzzle end of the rail with an hk hook (or whatever theyre called). I use it for stability/support.

04-10-16, 22:32
Has anyone found that they prefer to attach the sling to the outside of the stock versus the inside? By that I mean if you are a RH shooter you attach the sling via flush cup to the right of the sling vs. on the left? I like that because it seems to hold the gun closer to me and if I have to transition to use my left it feels more comfortable.

26 Inf
04-10-16, 22:41
I like the Sheriff of Baghdad B-slings. They are two-point quick adjusts which keep the adjustment forward at the front of the rifle where they need to be. I really like them.

ColtSeavers
04-11-16, 00:18
1st off, I run 2pt vcas. I do a lot with my rifle and it's good for all of it.

2nd, not to hijack, but it's related: I have a buddy who's getting into ars and at his 1st course ( cqb style training ) he decided to buy a 1 pt (magpul to replace his vcas). I searched but didnot find much and I'm wondering what advantage 1pt has over 2pt for close quarters? I ran a sling in 1pt for about 2 sessions and switched back, I hated it, but I guess I don't know what I don't know.

Op, if you want me to start a new thread let me know and I'll edit my post.

I found this to be helpful regarding one point slings:

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2014/10/31/abner-miranda-on-single-point-slings/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JA6CsUr5IU

Mods and OP, if any of you feel as this is thread drift and/or deserving of a new thread, feel free to do as you see fit.

Personally, I have used (and still have) an el-cheapo BLACKHAWK! one point non bungee sling from Wally World in conjunction with a Magpul ASAP and found it to be quite easy and comfortable to use. However, it was for my HD AR, and I've simply opted to forgo use of a sling all together on that AR. I have no experience with the bungee versions of single point slings.

I have generic USGI 2 point slings on my other ARs.

jhr1986
04-11-16, 00:23
Has anyone found that they prefer to attach the sling to the outside of the stock versus the inside? By that I mean if you are a RH shooter you attach the sling via flush cup to the right of the sling vs. on the left? I like that because it seems to hold the gun closer to me and if I have to transition to use my left it feels more comfortable.

I do the same, rh shooter, rear qd swivel on the right side of the buttstock, front qd swivel on the left side of the handguard a few inches up from the barrel nut.

GFX_9
04-11-16, 00:42
Thats one reason i like wrapping it. I have the slider that combines the two right at the top of the stocks spine. The sling comes up from the center and feels the same whether shooting from the right or left side of the gun

04-11-16, 06:23
That single point sling vid is pretty good, I like that he's showing how to work with what you got to make it more effective. It wouldn't convince me to go out and buy a single point but if I'd accidentally bought one it'd give me something to work with until I got a two point sling.

GFX9, I used to do the same thing when I used regular GI-type stocks but with the ones I'm using now it made more sense to use flush cups like with the Vltor E-MOD. I tried to loop it around the stock but it wasn't as comfortable, that technique seemed to work better for me with thinner profile stocks.

Like a lot of others I also like my front mounting point a few inches from the barrel nut on the left side but on the right side I like to keep a flush cup up closer to the front of the handguard. That way if I want to actually sling up using the Armageddon Gear sling I can do it more effectively by attaching to the right side of the hand guard and running my left arm through the loop. It locks it down pretty tight that way.

Jpoe88
04-11-16, 07:33
I like that someone brought up left front swivel right rear. Read that in the AK fighting carbine thread. Keeps it from bunchibg up in your armpit.

HCrum87hc
04-11-16, 08:04
I'm a big fan of the VCAS padded.

henschman
04-11-16, 12:33
VCAS padded for me too. Comfortable to carry, quick and easy to adjust, no trailing straps. Works great as a shooting sling if you set it up right. Good to see so many of you are familiar with that technique -- it is very effective.

I've tried attaching the sling to the outside of the stock on several rifles, and it doesn't work for me. Makes the rifle carry funny. The top of the rifle wants to angle into my body, and it is uncomfortable to run with.

Springfield
04-11-16, 13:15
Another vote for the VCAS padded here. While the single point may work a bit better for switching shoulders for close quarters work, a good 2 point controls the rifle much better if you are doing a lot of walking/running.

04-11-16, 13:42
VCAS padded for me too. Comfortable to carry, quick and easy to adjust, no trailing straps. Works great as a shooting sling if you set it up right. Good to see so many of you are familiar with that technique -- it is very effective.

I've tried attaching the sling to the outside of the stock on several rifles, and it doesn't work for me. Makes the rifle carry funny. The top of the rifle wants to angle into my body, and it is uncomfortable to run with.

I like the VCAS because you can set it up like a traditional loop sling or run it as a very hasty support when in position, I remember watching a YouTube video with Larry Vickers and he talks about how some Marines were using the issued VCAS as a loop sling for additional support. I used it in the same fashion when shooting some DMR matches a couple years ago before I started using a AG sling.

Tigereye
04-11-16, 18:10
VCAS padded for me. I'm also trying the Proctor on a SBR and like it so far.

wirides
04-11-16, 20:39
I like my VTAC padded sling a lot but would like to try the VCAS someday.

mark5pt56
04-12-16, 05:02
I primarily use the Proctor sling now, do use the MS1 on heavy precision guns. I also use the Proctor on hunting rifles and shotguns.

b2dap1
04-12-16, 05:33
VCAS 2 point...

Jpoe88
04-12-16, 06:27
Looks like the majority is a VCAS user. Looks like Larry did a good job on that one..

StrikeFace
04-12-16, 06:48
I use the now-discontinued Emdom/MM Gunslinger (http://www.skdtac.com/Emdom-E-MM-Gunslinger-Sling-p/e2m.101.htm) in 2-point on all my home/work guns. Sling is a combination of 1" nylon and seat belt material. Wish they still sold them. I do cut the single point HK snaphook D-ring off all of 'em. Because single point is silly.

Attached to "standard weight" 1" QDs (http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_593101100_1.jpg) (never got the heavy duty QD thing, do people break these?), connected in the front left near the delta ring area and on the rear right in the stock cup. Worn necklace style, moves between either shoulder quick.

I haven't found another sling I like better. BFG slings are too stiff and abrasive for my liking. VTAC slings use that annoying, clunky ALICE pack adjuster.

If I had to choose a new one, I might go with Way of the Gun Proctor sling as the adjustment is the same motion and end-less.

Constable1956
04-12-16, 07:48
I've been using a Savvy Sniper Quad Sling with QD push button lately. It has a snap hook for converting from two point to one point. In addition at the rear of the sling it has a bungee feature which allows me to stabilize my shooting position. I use a front and rear QD attachment point. It also has a oversized slider for adjusting the sling. I have both VCAS and VTAC slings and I'm liking this one a bit better.

noonesshowmonkey
04-12-16, 11:56
Quoted directly from the Sling 1 to 2 point convertable sling recommendation (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?182720-Sling-1-to-2-point-convertable-sling-recommendation&p=2300406#post2300406) thread that started this:

I am a big fan of the Magpul MS4. It adapts easily to whatever mounting points you choose to use (fore-end, rail near mag well, end plate, stock), and once set, has little to no tail. The sliding adjuster moves easily and bites down when you set it. The 2-1 adapter has an ergonomic cant to it that keeps the sling from bunching/folding on itself when set up as a single point. Great sling.

I have nothing but love for my MagPul MS4. It swaps quickly and comfortably from one to the other. If I were to run it as a dedicated, single-point-only for an extended shoothouse, I might consider putting a QD tail on my endplate to give me just a bit more room in single-point, especially when kitted up. Which pretty much describes the Haley D3 sling.

Berserkr556
04-12-16, 18:48
I use the Proctor sling. It's simple and it works very well.

titsonritz
04-12-16, 18:56
I have a few different versions of the VCAS and see no reason to bother with anything else when it comes to a 2 point slings.

Bubba FAL
04-12-16, 19:49
If you are talking about the old Garand sling, I have those on my FALs.

I have 'em on my FALs, ARs, No.4 Enfields, and yes, even my M1 Garands. I replace the original noisy bottom clip and the front swivel with QD swivels on the ARs. Exception is M1907 leather (or Turner clone) on my Service Rifle and one M1 used for matches.

Mauser KAR98K
04-12-16, 21:04
Running a VTAC again. Had been using a MS2 sling and did like the single point option, but I have been running it as a 2-point so much that I went back to the VTAC. It is just easier to tighten and loosen.

Would like to try a VCAS.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1490/26373532426_404eb09203_b.jpg