PDA

View Full Version : Night Vision Rig Assistance requested

HKGuns
04-10-16, 17:40
Thinking about purchasing a NV setup for night time hog/vermin hunting and various other legal activities, including some night shooting out in the woods. Might even take a class or two with this setup.

My current line of thinking leaves me with the gear described below, looking for folks who have more experience with this to take a look and critique / offer alternatives.

- Team Wendy EXFIL Carbon bump helmet*
- Wilcox L4 G24 Mount
- Stiener DBAL - A3
- ATN PVS7-3 NV tube (GEN3)

I don't want a NV scope mounted to a rifle, I really want the flexibility a setup like this would afford. I considered an armored helmet, but for my use I really don't see myself needing all of that weight.

Your help and / or suggestions are appreciated.

Treehopr
04-10-16, 17:56
The PVS-7 won't work with the Wilcox G24 mount, you'll need a bayonet/dovetail adapter or go with a G11 mount.

The bayonet mount sucks and is not as tight as the dovetail interface- having to constantly adjust the mount gets really old once you're under NV and running around in the woods. The PVS-7 also doesn't have the any adjustments for the ocular side of the housing.

I would strongly encourage you going with a PVS-14 unless you have a good reason not to.

Don't know anything about your helmet choice but I would suggest going with a Team Wendy bump helmet instead.

Also, I wouldn't buy anything from ATN- check out www.ownthenight.com - the owner is incredibly helpful and can offer you something that fits your needs and budget.

HKGuns
04-10-16, 18:44
The PVS-7 won't work with the Wilcox G24 mount, you'll need a bayonet/dovetail adapter or go with a G11 mount.

The bayonet mount sucks and is not as tight as the dovetail interface- having to constantly adjust the mount gets really old once you're under NV and running around in the woods. The PVS-7 also doesn't have the any adjustments for the ocular side of the housing.

I would strongly encourage you going with a PVS-14 unless you have a good reason not to.

Don't know anything about your helmet choice but I would suggest going with a Team Wendy bump helmet instead.

Also, I wouldn't buy anything from ATN- check out www.ownthenight.com - the owner is incredibly helpful and can offer you something that fits your needs and budget.

Thank-you, exactly the type of idiotic mistake I was trying to avoid. I will look at the PVS 14, I like the dual eye cups with the monocular vs. the swing out monocular. I suspect the 14's will be more than I can legitimately get past the wife.

ETA: I was planning to order from TNVC and not ATN.....I will also checkout the link you suggested.

drtywk
04-10-16, 19:29
Depending on your budget, I would go with a PVS14, or if you can swing it, get the Sentinel's from TNVC.

Outlander Systems
04-11-16, 10:14
Alternate helmet suggestion, if you don't want to break the bank.

Protec Bravo Halfshell with ARC Rails:

https://outlandersystemsblog.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/protec-1.jpg

https://outlandersystemsblog.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/protec-2.jpg

billybronco
04-11-16, 11:35
on the flipside, if you DO want to break the bank check out MTEK. I just got their Carbon V last week. Pretty dope. MLOK rails. Cam locking adjustment system on the chinstrap with a suede liner in chin. Several other innovative features. I love it. They're on TNVC, as well..........Their website has great detail and Ryan was a pleasure to work with.

Combine it with a couple of these https://kineticdg.com/product/kinectmlok-3-slot-single-mlok-picatinny-section/ and iron forged concepts headset adapters along with a pair of MSA Sordins and you be ready for a Wilcox mount, J Arm and NOD's.

Defaultmp3
04-11-16, 11:47
Also, I wouldn't buy anything from ATNWhat's wrong with ATN? Do they at least have quality tubes, even if their housings are less than satisfactory?

Outlander Systems
04-11-16, 12:55
The MTEK is str8 gangster!

on the flipside, if you DO want to break the bank check out MTEK. I just got their Carbon V last week. Pretty dope. MLOK rails. Cam locking adjustment system on the chinstrap with a suede liner in chin. Several other innovative features. I love it. They're on TNVC, as well..........Their website has great detail and Ryan was a pleasure to work with.

Combine it with a couple of these https://kineticdg.com/product/kinectmlok-3-slot-single-mlok-picatinny-section/ and iron forged concepts headset adapters along with a pair of MSA Sordins and you be ready for a Wilcox mount, J Arm and NOD's.

militarymoron
04-11-16, 13:36
Also get a set of counter weights to mount to the back of your helmet. They really help reduce neck strain when wearing a NV rig.

HKGuns
04-11-16, 17:25
Hahaha, I had MTEK on my original list but changed it after the first response to check out Team Wendy Bump.

Why MTEK over team Wendy?

ETA: If I am going to need counter weights, should I just go with the eavier armored helmet? Seems silly to buy a Carbon Fiber helmet and hand weights off the back of my neck?

Caeser25
04-11-16, 18:55
I got my L3 omni viii pvs14 from Ident Marking, also a site sponsor. In addition to them and TNVC, there's also TNVCs other company, night goggles that are little more budget friendly. In my opinion get a gen 3 and upgrade your mounts/helmet later. I started with a TNVC gen 2 D300, standard us military mount and a bicycle helmet. I upgraded my nod first, then helmet (ops core fast.) I still use a stand us military mount for the time being stuck in paralysis by analysis since I can't decide what to upgrade to yet.

http://www.nightgoggles.com

Treehopr
04-11-16, 20:02
What's wrong with ATN? Do they at least have quality tubes, even if their housings are less than satisfactory?

i don't know what they currently use but I believe a few years ago they were selling Russian and European tubes in their housings.

Treehopr
04-11-16, 20:06
Hahaha, I had MTEK on my original list but changed it after the first response to check out Team Wendy Bump.

ETA: If I am going to need counter weights, should I just go with the eavier armored helmet? Seems silly to buy a Carbon Fiber helmet and hand weights off the back of my neck?

You're probably not going to need counter weights for a monocular, if you were going dual tubes it would be worth looking in to.

If you plan to take NV classes that involve shooting and can afford it- go with the ballistic helmet.

Defaultmp3
04-11-16, 22:15
i don't know what they currently use but I believe a few years ago they were selling Russian and European tubes in their housings.On their website, they offer models using both ITT Pinnacle tubes and "Gen4" tubes, which I understand to be an L3 filmless tube of some sort. I'm mainly interested, as ATN offers decent first responder discounts, so I've been considering snagging one of their dual tubes, and then cannibalizing them for their tubes and having them rebuilt into an Adam Industries Sentinel housing... assuming that their tubes are actually up to snuff, and are actually what they are advertising them to be.

drtywk
04-11-16, 22:59
TNVC offers a pretty good LE/Mil discount. Call them, they are extremely knowledgable and a truly first rate company.

militarymoron
04-11-16, 23:34

the counter weight is to balance the cantilevered weight of the NVG hanging off the front. if you go to a heavier helmet, you still have that unbalanced weight up front. an unbalanced light weight set up can be more fatiguing on the neck muscles than a balanced heavier set up. think about those african or indian women who carry pails of water on their heads. they can carry heavy loads because they're balanced and their skeleton is supporting the weight. once you cantilever the weight and involve muscles, that's when fatigue happens, unless you're accustomed to it and have strong neck muscles. think of how much weight you can bench press or squat. now, take that weight, and put it all on one side of the barbell, and see how much you can do.

i'm not accustomed to it, and when i went out the first time for an all-night coyote hunt, sitting around in the dark scanning with PVS-14s, they quickly became pretty heavy. I added the OPS-Core counter weight kit to the back and it was a great improvement next time i wore them.

Treehopr
04-12-16, 06:21
On their website, they offer models using both ITT Pinnacle tubes and "Gen4" tubes, which I understand to be an L3 filmless tube of some sort. I'm mainly interested, as ATN offers decent first responder discounts, so I've been considering snagging one of their dual tubes, and then cannibalizing them for their tubes and having them rebuilt into an Adam Industries Sentinel housing... assuming that their tubes are actually up to snuff, and are actually what they are advertising them to be.

I donf know enough about their current production but when attending an LE NVG Instructor course last year, the instructor specifically mentioned ATN as a company to avoid.

If you're going the dual tube route, there's really no cheap way to do it.

If youre buying used or trying to build something, I'd go with Ed Wilcox http://www.wilcoxeng-res.com/index.html

He did a fantastic job a upgrading a MUM I had to a PVS14 housing.

Eurodriver
04-12-16, 10:17
If you plan on doing training, go to Telluric Group.

Good people, but you will need documented formal carbine/pistol training. If you buy your tube from TNVC you get 10% off, FYI.

Treehopr
04-12-16, 16:59
If you plan on doing training, go to Telluric Group.

Good people, but you will need documented formal carbine/pistol training. If you buy your tube from TNVC you get 10% off, FYI.

Which course did you take?

I've considered taking their NV instructor course but schedule never seems to line up :-(

Mike556
12-21-16, 16:01
Hey sorry for being late to the thread, but I have a real noob question about NODs set up and was wondering if y'all could help me out. The question is do you need a shroud and a mount or does one do both? For example I am not sure what the difference is between the two linked below
https://telluricgroup.com/products/l4-g24-breakaway-mount
https://telluricgroup.com/products/l4-three-hole-shroud-and-mount-kit
Is the hybrid just a package deal or does it fill a new roll?
Thanks,
- Mike

mack7.62
12-21-16, 16:41
If you are using a helmet you need both, the shroud stays on the helmet and the mount stays on the NOD. If you are using a bump with an integral shroud like the Ops FAST then you only need the mount, same goes if you are using a Nightcap or head harness, then you only need the mount.

Mike556
12-21-16, 16:55
If you are using a helmet you need both, the shroud stays on the helmet and the mount stays on the NOD. If you are using a bump with an integral shroud like the Ops FAST then you only need the mount, same goes if you are using a Nightcap or head harness, then you only need the mount.

Ahhh. So for example with this helmet, I would need the shroud due to no mount?
http://www.ops-core.com/fast-bump-helmet/
Sorry I am just not familiar with any of the mounting interfaces that are used for NV
Thanks for helpin'!
- Mike

Outlander Systems
12-21-16, 17:12
Mike,

What helmet do you have?

The shroud is the receptacle for the mount. The shroud attaches to your helmet. The mount interfaces the NOD and the shroud.

Your first link is for the mount only. The second link is for the shroud/mount combo.

Outlander Systems
12-21-16, 17:28
Mike,

With the OPS-Core helmet linked, the shroud is integral. You would only need the mount.

Mike556
12-21-16, 17:43
Mike,

With the OPS-Core helmet linked, the shroud is integral. You would only need the mount.

I do not have any of the gear yet. Looking into this for the first time. Thanks for the help! I think the rig I am considering now after the help of you guys in this thread and others is
FAST bump helmet
PVS-14 Gen 3
Wilcox L4 hybrid W/ shroud, lanyard, & L4 G24 breakaway mount
Wilcox Arm W/ auto shutoff on flip up
MS2000 Strobe
Inside a SOE Helmet Ballast W/ pull out battery tray.
(All this used with a L-3 ATPIAL-C on M4)
Anything you think I am missing or something I should change?
Thanks again,
- Mike

Outlander Systems
12-21-16, 18:40
Supplemental illuminator:

http://www.surefire.com/v1-vampire-1.html

jpmuscle
12-21-16, 18:59

I'm interested in this as well.

diving dave
12-21-16, 19:06
My current setup, which I have been pretty pleased with...(Ignore the pistol and can, thats another discussion :rolleyes:)
Ops Core bump helmet, SOE ballast pouch with ms2000 strobe, Norotos INVG mount, and a Surefire Vampire. Also have a small Princeton tec white/red light on other side. TNVC PVS14

Mike556
12-21-16, 19:15

So just to confirm my suspicions, I would leave it on white light for if I need to react to lights and switch to day optic but still need illumination and in the event my ATPIAL goes down I can switch that to IR and still have a IR illumination? More or less? lol

Mike556
12-21-16, 19:16
My current setup, which I have been pretty pleased with...(Ignore the pistol and can, thats another discussion :rolleyes:)
Ops Core bump helmet, SOE ballast pouch with ms2000 strobe, Norotos INVG mount, and a Surefire Vampire. Also have a small Princeton tec white/red light on other side. TNVC PVS14

Sweet setup!

Outlander Systems
12-21-16, 19:31
Negative, negative.

Strictly for hands-free task lighting that doesn't involve muzzle-sweeping things you want to see.

So just to confirm my suspicions, I would leave it on white light for if I need to react to lights and switch to day optic but still need illumination and in the event my ATPIAL goes down I can switch that to IR and still have a IR illumination? More or less? lol

Mike556
12-21-16, 20:49
Negative, negative.

Strictly for hands-free task lighting that doesn't involve muzzle-sweeping things you want to see.

Oh got ya, good to know. But I assume a weapon light that can do white light and IR for the situation I described would make sense or is there other schools of thought on the matter?

Eurodriver
12-25-16, 07:57
I'm interested in this as well.

Their funding of HRCs election should give you pause.

Treehopr
12-25-16, 08:51
I do not have any of the gear yet. Looking into this for the first time. Thanks for the help! I think the rig I am considering now after the help of you guys in this thread and others is
FAST bump helmet
PVS-14 Gen 3
Wilcox L4 hybrid W/ shroud, lanyard, & L4 G24 breakaway mount
Wilcox Arm W/ auto shutoff on flip up
MS2000 Strobe
Inside a SOE Helmet Ballast W/ pull out battery tray.
(All this used with a L-3 ATPIAL-C on M4)
Anything you think I am missing or something I should change?
Thanks again,
- Mike

If you're getting the FAST Bump helmet, the shroud will be integral (molded in to the shell of the helmet) so you won't need to purchase a separate shroud.

Why the MS2000 strobe? Strobes are used to ID yourself to other people under NV, usually aircraft crew.

I run a DBAL D2 (with red laser), specifically because it has the most practical IR Illuminator of any MFAL on the market commercially available right now.

noonesshowmonkey
12-25-16, 15:17
There was a good article on the subject of night vision equipment over at ITS Tactical: Who Owns the Shadows Wins - Telluric Group Night Vision Operator Course AAR (http://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/night-vision/owns-shadows-wins-telluric-group-night-vision-operator-course-aar/)

Very applicable to this discussion.

Benito
12-25-16, 20:09
Their funding of HRCs election should give you pause.

Hear, hear.
This is in the same category as Troy Industries and their hiring of Dale Monroe and Jody Weis.
Betrayal must be punished.

Mike556
12-25-16, 22:18
If you're getting the FAST Bump helmet, the shroud will be integral (molded in to the shell of the helmet) so you won't need to purchase a separate shroud.

Why the MS2000 strobe? Strobes are used to ID yourself to other people under NV, usually aircraft crew.

I run a DBAL D2 (with red laser), specifically because it has the most practical IR Illuminator of any MFAL on the market commercially available right now.

Thanks for the info on the shroud. I learned that after I posted on here, but all info is appreciated. As for the strobe, I plan on attending NV courses in the future so I figure they might be useful in some way and after dropping like $5,000 on this full set up another $100 seems like a drop in the bucket lol plus it will aid in the counter weight from what I understand. Lastly why do you recommend the DBAL over the ATPIAL-C ?
- Mike

Treehopr
12-26-16, 10:53
The strobe won't be very useful in a training course, under NV- IR strobes are blinding.

Imagine going to a white light course and having another student with a strobe on their helmet at night.

The DBAL D2 has a built in IR illuminator that allows you to focus the beam and the top end is brighter than anything else that's not mil-spec

If you're planning on attending NV course that involve shooting, seriously consider going to a ballistic helmet. Having people around you in low light with guns and who are just as inexperienced as yourself will definitely increase the amount of risk compared to a traditional two day pistol or carbine class. Some shoot house courses require a ballistic helmet as well.

I run PVS15's with an Ops Core ballistic FAST helmet with Wilcox shroud and mount plus the DBAL D2, there may be better stuff out there now but it was the best I could afford at the time that was commercially available.

I also have a back up Gen2 PVS14 paired with an Ops Core Bump helmet.

Ironically, having gone through about 6 different NV specific courses over the last few years, I barely use the stuff now and was planning on selling off some of the stuff after the holidays.

If you're interested in buying either of the helmets or DBAL, shoot me a PM

Mike556
12-26-16, 15:27
The strobe won't be very useful in a training course, under NV- IR strobes are blinding.

Imagine going to a white light course and having another student with a strobe on their helmet at night.

The DBAL D2 has a built in IR illuminator that allows you to focus the beam and the top end is brighter than anything else that's not mil-spec

If you're planning on attending NV course that involve shooting, seriously consider going to a ballistic helmet. Having people around you in low light with guns and who are just as inexperienced as yourself will definitely increase the amount of risk compared to a traditional two day pistol or carbine class. Some shoot house courses require a ballistic helmet as well.

I run PVS15's with an Ops Core ballistic FAST helmet with Wilcox shroud and mount plus the DBAL D2, there may be better stuff out there now but it was the best I could afford at the time that was commercially available.

I also have a back up Gen2 PVS14 paired with an Ops Core Bump helmet.

Ironically, having gone through about 6 different NV specific courses over the last few years, I barely use the stuff now and was planning on selling off some of the stuff after the holidays.

If you're interested in buying either of the helmets or DBAL, shoot me a PM

Alright, here is my only question I have left (as far as I can think of) What is the best night vision to get? I have seen AN PVS-14, NE PVS-14, Pinnacle, now you say PVS-15s. Could you explain the differences and pros and cons to each?
Thanks,
- Mike

Treehopr
12-26-16, 18:14
PVS15 are dual tube and expensive. Other dual tube units are BNVD'a and Sentinels

PVS14 is a monocular with a lot more flexibility and cheaper

Don't put too much stock in the different "brands" of PVS14 as they are all made from the same components.

Key differences are the quality of the tube and the warranty from the manufacturer. Quality of the tube (and accessories, both needed and useless) will determine cost, which is why you'll see the wide price variances.

Broadly speaking, get Gen3 ITT or L3 tube if you can afford it, with a data sheet and a Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) of 25 or better.

Personally, I'd buy from Euro Optic, Larry at www.ownthenight.com or Ed at Wilcox Engineering and Research based on my experiences. YMMV

contax_shooter
12-26-16, 19:17
How often are you guys PMCSing these things? During my flight operations days, I was in charge of tracking the NODs and noticed they were going out annually for upkeep. I didn't notice many that required major repairs.

Mike556
12-26-16, 20:31
PVS15 are dual tube and expensive. Other dual tube units are BNVD'a and Sentinels

PVS14 is a monocular with a lot more flexibility and cheaper

Don't put too much stock in the different "brands" of PVS14 as they are all made from the same components.

Key differences are the quality of the tube and the warranty from the manufacturer. Quality of the tube (and accessories, both needed and useless) will determine cost, which is why you'll see the wide price variances.

Broadly speaking, get Gen3 ITT or L3 tube if you can afford it, with a data sheet and a Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) of 25 or better.

Personally, I'd buy from Euro Optic, Larry at www.ownthenight.com or Ed at Wilcox Engineering and Research based on my experiences. YMMV

Thank you very much for the help man, really appreciate it! I was thinking of this one
https://nvdepot.com/products/night-vision/night-enforcer-night-vision-monocular/?v=7516fd43adaa

Treehopr
12-26-16, 21:43
The PVS14 looks good but the included accessories such as the head mount and j-arm will probably never be used if you're planning on going with a helmet and Wilcox mount

Mike556
12-26-16, 22:03
Gotcha. I'll try and find the NOD without the extra stuff I won't need. If you don't mind me asking, how did you learn all this stuff?
- Mike

GTF425
12-26-16, 23:29
Alright, here is my only question I have left (as far as I can think of) What is the best night vision to get? I have seen AN PVS-14, NE PVS-14, Pinnacle, now you say PVS-15s. Could you explain the differences and pros and cons to each?
Thanks,
- Mike

Quick cliff notes;

Monocular (PVS-14/18):

Pros- Lighter weight, lower cost (generally), rugged, tons of aftermarket support, easy to maintain yourself, added situational awareness of having an unaided eye to identify shadows and naturally illuminated open areas easier than wearing a pair of binos.
Cons- Lack of depth perception, and unless you drop the money on a dovetail attaching J-arm, you're stuck with the shitty USGI bayonet mount.

Binocular (PVS-15/BNVD)
Pros- Pseudo depth percetion; aids in driving and any type of dismounted movement. The NVD BNVD can individually rotate tubes up and out of the way so you get the best of both bino and minocular NODs.
Cons- Weight and cost. PVS-15s are boat anchors. The tubes rotate into place in front of your eyes by tension and as they wear out, they'll walk loose during movement.

Binocular (ANVIS style...AN/AVS-6/9, Sentinel)
Pros- The ANVIS mount pivots the goggles up in front of the helmet and gives a lower profile when the goggles are stowed. Helps keep you from banging your goggles around if they're helmet mounted and not in use. Additionally, you can run a battery pack for extended use as well as to counterbalance the weight of the goggles a little bit. ANVIS optics are generally very high resolution with great clarity and the goggles themselves are very lightweight. The individual worm dial adjustments for each tube give precise goggle alignment to perfectly fit you.

Cons- Mounting options. The USGI ANVIS plate requires a simple mod to attach to most standard shrouds, but they never seem to get the eye relief short enough for guys running them on ACH helmets. Also, aftermarket mounts are EXPENSIVE should you break away from the standard ANVIS plate. Adams Industries make a great mount that (I think) is around $500, and after that you step into Wilcox and that's somewhere closer to $2,000. ANVIS goggles are also not very weather resistant, and while a light rain won't hurt them, walking around dismounted for a few hours in the pissing rain will kill them. The ANVIS bridge is also fairly brittle, and a head on impact or dropping the goggles could very likely break the bridge. I've seen this more with dudes dropping their helmet with the goggles still mounted.

In my opinion, you'll be best served following the advice given from Treehopr and getting a high quality PVS-14 from a reputable dealer that has a solid warranty. I personally have nothing but great experiences with TNVC and recommend them highly. Their in house PVS-14s are incredibly high quality and are a damn good option for someone getting into the night vision game. You're going to be married to this tube, so get what you can out of the gate.

GTF425
12-26-16, 23:39

Your laser+illuminator will handle your fighting under NODs. I prefer my weapon light to strictly be a white light. The Vampire lights are cool, but their white light is weak sauce compared to their 500-lumen white light brothers and the IR LED leaves a lot to be desired compared to the laser illuminator on an ATPIAL. You can zero the illuminator to align with the laser, and adjust how tight/wide the beam is. The ATPIAL-C does NOT allow you to focus the illuminator, so keep that in mind.

I prefer my white light to be a white light, and ATPIAL to do my NODs work. I had a V1 on my helmet for supplemental lighting when doing outdoor site exploitation and things like that, and had an even smaller Princeton Tec light for map reading, checking my guys equipment before missions, and indoor site exploitation where light discipline wasn't a concern.

TL;DR- have your shit set up so both your white light and laser are intuitive to operate and you can go back and forth between the two as necessary, when necessary.

GTF425
12-26-16, 23:46
TL;DR- have your shit set up so both your white light and laser are intuitive to operate and you can go back and forth between the two as necessary, when necessary.

Here's how I tackled that to be ambidextrous, but intuitive.

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag347/GTF425/4B74C9E3-A5F8-4B5D-868C-23BD2B60AADC-7288-000007487AEE5432_zpskq9blda1.jpg

I prefer to tuck the tape switch for my white light out of the way to help prevent the possibility of AD'ing it. In theory, a dual-spectrum light like the Surefire Vampires help prevent this even further by letting you move under IR, then switch to white light before you hit your target, but **** that. I'm a caveman and like my shit straight forward.

I've also very rarely had the chance to pick and choose when and where I fight, and don't want to be caught with my proverbial pants down and need white light with it set on IR. I want things as straight forward as possible and with minimal chance of me ****ing it up.

Treehopr
12-27-16, 09:04
How often are you guys PMCSing these things? During my flight operations days, I was in charge of tracking the NODs and noticed they were going out annually for upkeep. I didn't notice many that required major repairs.

Other than inspecting it after use and putting it back in the case, not much. I do take the battery (I use lithiums exclusively) out as a precautionary measure.

I bought my PVS15's used and before purchasing I contacted the manufacturer about sending them in to have them nitrogen purged and inspected. Tech support rep stated that since the units are "sealed" there really isn't any reason to open it up unless there is a specific problem.

Flight ops may require a stricter PMCS schedule?

Treehopr
12-27-16, 09:23
Gotcha. I'll try and find the NOD without the extra stuff I won't need. If you don't mind me asking, how did you learn all this stuff?
- Mike

By paying attention to guys like GTF425 :D

All kidding aside, there's a lot of EXCELLENT info that GTF425 posted.

I can only speak from personal experience but most of it came from trial and error (prior service infantry) as well as taking classes from guys like John Chapman of LMS Defense/EAG Tactical. If you want a good primer, I believe his NV DVD's are/were available from Pantaeo. I was also lucky enough to spend some time with guys at the tip of the spear who had a lot more experience with using NV under real world conditions overseas.

I also learned a lot just by asking questions from the companies I'm buying from. Ed Wilcox and Larry Clow (owners of the companies I previously listed) were both extremely generous with their time and knowledge when I had questions about equipment and I recommend them for that reason along with the quality of their products and service.

NV is an expensive game to get in to, more so if you're doing it on your own dime.

I've sold as much stuff as I've bought, partly from learning the hard way but also because technology changes quickly. I settled on the DBAL D2 after trying about 3 other lasers, got the Ops Core ballistic after 3 or 4 other helmets didn't work out and bought the PVS15's because I was never quite happy with the PVS7, MUM and PVS14 that I had bought and used.

Echoing what GTF425 posted, I use the DBAL D2 as my IR pointer/illuminator and have a separate dedicated white light with a tape switch.

My next purchase will probably be the BE Meyers MAWL if it ever becomes available commercially at a reasonable price point. At the time I bought my Ops Core, it and the Crye Airframe were the only viable high-end option but if I bought something tomorrow, it'd probably be the Team Wendy Exfil ballistic.

Turnkey11
12-27-16, 12:33

My daily carry light, I can't say enough good about it. Very handy scanning fields and tree lines for eye-shine instead of using the rifle mounted light and flagging everything on the countryside.

jpmuscle
12-27-16, 14:47
By paying attention to guys like GTF425 :D

All kidding aside, there's a lot of EXCELLENT info that GTF425 posted.

I can only speak from personal experience but most of it came from trial and error (prior service infantry) as well as taking classes from guys like John Chapman of LMS Defense/EAG Tactical. If you want a good primer, I believe his NV DVD's are/were available from Pantaeo. I was also lucky enough to spend some time with guys at the tip of the spear who had a lot more experience with using NV under real world conditions overseas.

I also learned a lot just by asking questions from the companies I'm buying from. Ed Wilcox and Larry Clow (owners of the companies I previously listed) were both extremely generous with their time and knowledge when I had questions about equipment and I recommend them for that reason along with the quality of their products and service.

NV is an expensive game to get in to, more so if you're doing it on your own dime.

I've sold as much stuff as I've bought, partly from learning the hard way but also because technology changes quickly. I settled on the DBAL D2 after trying about 3 other lasers, got the Ops Core ballistic after 3 or 4 other helmets didn't work out and bought the PVS15's because I was never quite happy with the PVS7, MUM and PVS14 that I had bought and used.

Echoing what GTF425 posted, I use the DBAL D2 as my IR pointer/illuminator and have a separate dedicated white light with a tape switch.

My next purchase will probably be the BE Meyers MAWL if it ever becomes available commercially at a reasonable price point. At the time I bought my Ops Core, it and the Crye Airframe were the only viable high-end option but if I bought something tomorrow, it'd probably be the Team Wendy Exfil ballistic.
Not gonna lie. The MAWL is freaking I awesome. I keep putting off buying a Dbal with the hope that it becomes available sooner rather than later.

Mike556
12-27-16, 14:48
Wow, Thanks so much you two (Treehopr & GTF425) I have learned so much from y'all! Really appreciated the advice, especially since this shit is so costly I want to make sure that when I ready to buy it, I am informed enough to make the good choices the fist go around. I recently started getting interested in NV and I wish to get some and take a whole mess of classes to learn how to use them properly, so this thread has been a huge resource for information! :smile:
- Mike
EDIT: Almost forgot thank Outlander Systems too for the great help!

Eurodriver
12-27-16, 15:03
Don't thank Outlander - guy doesn't know anything.

He puts on green tinted glasses and shines a flashlight pretending its IR illum, tries talking to a neighbor over his backyard fence with a bubble wrap radio and then comes on to M4C and talks to us about "comm" and "NODs".

I know this because I am his neighbor.

GTF425
12-27-16, 15:15

He puts on green tinted glasses and shines a flashlight pretending its IR illum, tries talking to a neighbor over his backyard fence with a bubble wrap radio and then comes on to M4C and talks to us about "comm" and "NODs".

Yeah, **** that guy.

Mike556
12-27-16, 15:57
Better than my neighbor lol

Outlander Systems
12-27-16, 17:48
You ladies are hilarious.

I blame both of you for the purchase of a 14.

Wifey said, "If Eurodriver and GTF425 were fast-roping out of helicopters, would you slide out too?"

Yeah, **** that guy.

jpmuscle
12-27-16, 17:52
Not gonna lie. I'm kinda jelly of this bromance. No homo

Eurodriver
12-27-16, 18:01
You ladies are hilarious.

I blame both of you for the purchase of a 14.

Wifey said, "If Eurodriver and GTF425 were fast-roping out of helicopters, would you slide out too?"

What was your answer?

Nothin even gay about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJVt8kUAm9Q

Outlander Systems
12-27-16, 18:07
If you gonna go there, we need to get Firefly up in hurr.

:p

Firefly
12-27-16, 18:52
You rang, fam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVNsdCJQuqM

And hell yes I would fast rooe after Euro and GTF because wherever they go good times follow

Outlander Systems
12-27-16, 19:34
http://m.quickmeme.com/img/94/946840135cd6c9f243e214aa09620c0f25545ccf96423a90b8d44d8f5fb63f5f.jpg

@Mike556

Get a PVS-14 and don't look back.

You rang, fam?

And hell yes I would fast rooe after Euro and GTF because wherever they go good times follow

Eurodriver
12-27-16, 23:00
No no

Eurodriver
12-27-16, 23:13
This thread has potential. My NV rig is aight. But man man you gotta use it though fam. Don't just BUY it. LEARN.

Listen.

So many dudes be like oh I bought nods and then it sits on a shelf. Like that Eminem song hold on lemme get the lyricDon't let it sit on a shelf.

Use it. Abuse it. Learn it.

So that when people on M4C be like yoooo NV can't do xxxxx or wehstver you can be like uhh nah nephew. Peep this. (Insert video). GTFO P.S. You're an internet sucker

PEace out,

Euro (AKA SUCKER FREE BOSS)

jpmuscle
12-27-16, 23:14
Hahahahahahahha

I'm lit af rn

I'd say I'm shocked but that would be a lie. ;)

If only I was good at making memes.....the evil kermit one has been epic.

Eurodriver
12-27-16, 23:18
I'd say I'm shocked but that would be a lie. ;)

If only I was good at making memes.....the evil kermit one has been epic.

Ahhhh you got me before it edeited it!

"Callsigns...." lolololol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcL8K8W1L40&

noonesshowmonkey
12-28-16, 01:05
The stink of axe body spray, CLP, and cordite is intense in here. Just remember to wash the ranger panties when yer through.

Outlander Systems
12-28-16, 07:26
Close...so very close.

https://outlandersystemsblog.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/img_3075.jpg?w=1352

It's a NV Bro-down up in this muuuuuug.

ETA: For those curious a can of AXE fits in a 40mm pouch for RAPID ****ING DEPLOYMENT.

https://outlandersystemsblog.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/img_3079.jpg?w=1352

The stink of axe body spray, CLP, and cordite is intense in here. Just remember to wash the ranger panties when yer through.

GTF425
12-28-16, 08:36
For those curious a can of AXE fits in a 40mm pouch for RAPID ****ING DEPLOYMENT

You're the hero M4C needs.

You need to drop that mother in a 10-speed.

Mike556
12-28-16, 13:46
http://m.quickmeme.com/img/94/946840135cd6c9f243e214aa09620c0f25545ccf96423a90b8d44d8f5fb63f5f.jpg

@Mike556

Get a PVS-14 and don't look back.

Alright man lol thanks for the help. I think the Night Enforcer PVS-14 is the one I am gonna snatch up once I get the funds.
Thanks for the answers and funny posts y'all!
- Mike

Eurodriver
12-28-16, 18:15
Alright man lol thanks for the help. I think the Night Enforcer PVS-14 is the one I am gonna snatch up once I get the funds.
Thanks for the answers and funny posts y'all!
- Mike

What are you doing with the NV? How are you going to fire with it?

Outlander Systems
12-28-16, 20:15
LOL!

That, or a custom Kydex pouch.

You're the hero M4C needs.

You need to drop that mother in a 10-speed.

Mike556
12-28-16, 21:36
What are you doing with the NV? How are you going to fire with it?
It will be quite some time till I make the purchase, but I will be using it mainly for training. It'll be used with an ATPIAL-C on my Block II

contax_shooter
01-03-17, 17:10
I just want to do hood rat shit all night long.

https://youtu.be/z3yfWsOeRiQ

contax_shooter
01-13-17, 07:21
What are you dudes running for helmet rigs?

Ordered the Fast Bump bucket and the Unity Tactical Mark kit. #yolo
This got me excited:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPMLlRnB6XC/

GTF425
01-13-17, 09:53
Airframe with TW Epic Air pads.

Mike556
01-13-17, 22:46
What are you dudes running for helmet rigs?

Ordered the Fast Bump bucket and the Unity Tactical Mark kit. #yolo
This got me excited:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPMLlRnB6XC/

Level IIIA with shroud for $300
(Killed the link to avoid someone buying an unsafe helmet)

contax_shooter
01-14-17, 05:32
Level IIIA with shroud for $300
https://cpgarmor.com/product/cpg-2001t/#.WHmtA_krLIX
That's a no-go, it's been confirmed it's a Chinese made helmet and is fatally flawed when impacted by a round. Check out Sage Dynamics' YouTube test video.

Mike556
01-14-17, 21:09
That's a no-go, it's been confirmed it's a Chinese made helmet and is fatally flawed when impacted by a round. Check out Sage Dynamics' YouTube test video.

Say whaaaaaaaaaa?! Wow thanks for the heads up man!

Mike556
01-22-17, 19:02
Can anyone give me their opinion on amber filters for NODS? Thanks

GTF425
01-22-17, 19:12
Can anyone give me their opinion on amber filters for NODS? Thanks

I wouldn't obsess over them unless you're doing this against people who might shoot back. They kill a little of the green splashback on your face.

No difference in how they feel with regards to "eye strain", atleast in my opinion. That's a very subjective thing, though.

Mike556
01-22-17, 21:10
I wouldn't obsess over them unless you're doing this against people who might shoot back. They kill a little of the green splashback on your face.

No difference in how they feel with regards to "eye strain", atleast in my opinion. That's a very subjective thing, though.

Thanks. I was wondering about the eye strain portion not the splashback.

GFX_9
01-30-17, 03:42
You get used to it. Run the gain as low as your environment will allow. I like the versatility of the single monocular.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/M3likeguns/hmmm/F7CE9E4C-1E72-4FF7-9391-9AEB60839239_zpswkzqu2ib.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/M3likeguns/media/hmmm/F7CE9E4C-1E72-4FF7-9391-9AEB60839239_zpswkzqu2ib.jpg.html)

contax_shooter
02-01-17, 19:14
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/488/32277361360_077357e3ce_b.jpg