PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Warrior to Novak's this week...

SHIVAN
10-08-06, 19:35
Just sent my #2 Warrior to Novak's.

Simple upgrade path:

Perform a "Reliability Job" on it -- {Throat barrel, polish feedramp, adjust extractor, check chamber dimensions, refine breech face, test fire for function}
Replace extractor, sear, disconnector, hammer, slide stop, firing pin amd firing pin stop with Ed Brown Hardcore parts as supplied
Replace all pins with Ed Brown "upgrade" pins
Replace mag catch with Ed Brown extended piece, as supplied.
Supply and fit a King's combat ambi-safety
Sight in at 25yds with 230gr ball ammo
Tune trigger to 4.00-4.25lbs

Should be 4-6 weeks. :cool:

When it gets here I will be placing coyote brown Simonich Gunner's on it.

My box stock Warrior wears black gunners and has 2500rds on the clock with only a recoil spring change -- I needed a way to tell them apart. :)

VA_Dinger
10-08-06, 22:45
That sounds like one hell of a 1911.

How long did you sit on Novak's waiting list before you got the call to send it in?

SHIVAN
10-08-06, 22:59
No wait other than the specified 4-6 weeks.

bigbore
10-08-06, 23:33
Just sent my #2 Warrior to Novak's.

Simple upgrade path:

Perform a "Reliability Job" on it -- {Throat barrel, polish feedramp, adjust extractor, check chamber dimensions, refine breech face, test fire for function}

Why would you buy a pistol that you know needs a "reliability job"? Shivan, Kimbers are overpriced production, MIM filled crap. You paid for a complete pistol, and are content knowing and all you really got is a barrel, frame and slide?

VA_Dinger
10-09-06, 00:50
No wait other than the specified 4-6 weeks.

Wow that’s surprising.

I'd have guessed Novak's waiting list would be years long.

I can't wait to see this baby.

Nitrox
10-09-06, 01:00
I can't wait to see this baby.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/custom/warrior.jpg

SHIVAN
10-09-06, 08:53
Why would you buy a pistol that you know needs a "reliability job"? Shivan, Kimbers are overpriced production, MIM filled crap. You paid for a complete pistol, and are content knowing and all you really got is a barrel, frame and slide?

Please leave your assumptions at the door. The fact is you have NO IDEA what I paid for this pistol. You also seem to have missed that I am upgrading nearly every part that would even remotely be suspected of being MIM, except the plunger tube. :rolleyes:

I suspect that if you knew what I paid, and what it is costing for the upgrade, you'd realize that it's difficult to stand with both feet in your mouth. ;)

Further, it appears that in your haste to offer your misguided opinion of my situation, you missed where my box stock Kimber Warrior is at 2500rds with no failures on MIM parts, or otherwise.

rob_s
10-09-06, 09:13
I suspect that if you knew what I paid, and what it is costing for the upgrade, you'd realize that it's difficult to stand with both feet in your mouth. ;)

That was going to be my first question.

The second is, am I reading your initial post correctly? They are installing parts supplied by you? Is the 4-6 week turnaround a "hook up" that you have or standard?

SHIVAN
10-09-06, 09:30
They are installing parts supplied by you? Is the 4-6 week turnaround a "hook up" that you have or standard?

If you supply quality NEW parts, like Wilson, Brown, EGW, etc, they will install them for you.

If you supply junk, they will refuse it, and quote you a price of installation for quality parts.

I have had two other pistols worked on there. There was not a waiting list I knew about, so I emailed them, got a quote and sent the pistol after I understood the charges. Both of them were completed in around 3 weeks. They were both quoted as 3-5 weeks.

This time, I printed out a work order and sent the pistol. They emailed me the price and I told them to proceed.

In the end, I am getting a pistol with quality parts, good workmanship, and a lower price than something even remotely similarly prepared.

SHIVAN
10-09-06, 09:33
http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/custom/warrior.jpg

Close, but it won't look quite like that...

SethB
10-09-06, 11:07
The discussion as to upgrading a mid level weapon is always a raging debate. I've found it better to begin with the simplest base gun and have every modification done once, and done right.

That said, Novak's shop is a good one and you will get a great pistol.

Rob, have seen your 1* and if the rest of it turns out like the work I saw, you will be very, very happy with it. I watched the man himself cut the serrations and fit the 'tail.

jmart
10-09-06, 11:33
Anyone know if SA offers the same services for owner supplied parts? I've always had a thing about the MIL-SPEC model, supplying that as a base gun and getting a better trigger and extractor installed, maybe a bob on the hammer at the same time.

That and a bit of frontstrap checkering and replacement sights, and then maybe a dehorning job and a FL guide rod and a Dawson rail installed, plus a fitted bushing with match barrel and peened, hand fitted rails. Oh, and the memory pad beavertail safety, might as well then go with a commander lightened hammer.

Or I could just get a Glock!:p

(Actually paragraph 1 is for real, the rest is just jmart stream of consciousness)

rob_s
10-09-06, 11:36
Anyone know if SA offers the same services for owner supplied parts? I've always had a thing about the MIL-SPEC model, supplying that as a base gun and getting a better trigger and extractor installed, maybe a bob on the hammer at the same time.

Why not contact Yost and have them do it instead? What you're asking for is very close to their basic 1* package, and you can add other options that you want.

I am expecting a pistol from them almost any day (that's what SethB's post above yours is about) and am most definitely going to be posting a comparison between it and my Ed Brown Special Forces.

SHIVAN
10-09-06, 12:06
The discussion as to upgrading a mid level weapon is always a raging debate. I've found it better to begin with the simplest base gun and have every modification done once, and done right.

The price was right on this one, trust me. :cool: :cool:

I also am having all the mods I want done, done.

In the future, I may decide on a front strap finish, but at this time I am not sure what I want....so I didn't do it. Grip tape will suit me in the interim.

When the pistol needs to be refinished I might have it done then.

Vinh
10-09-06, 23:26
SHIVAN,
Looks good! One thing to consider is asking them to modify the new mag catch so that it can't trap mags.

I am expecting a pistol from them almost any day (that's what SethB's post above yours is about) and am most definitely going to be posting a comparison between it and my Ed Brown Special Forces.
If you're going to compare performance, please hold off until you have at least a thousand rounds through each gun. If you're going to do the dreaded "fit and finish" comparison, I've been playing around with a little list of specific things to look for when cursorily evaluating the non-performance aspects of 1911s. Contact me if interested. Just don't want you checking out the slide/frame fit and immediately declaring a winner. ;) I was pretty hard on Yost-Bonitz Custom when I wrote the review of my 1*, some of it unwarranted in retrospect. The more I learn about quality 1911s, the deeper the appreciation I have for what the YoBo folks do, and I would hate to see them thrown under the bus due to misunderstanding or ignorance.

Edited for grammar and bluntness.

Robb Jensen
10-10-06, 03:49
Vinh,
Your Yost Colt is simply the nicest custom 1911 I've ever seen.

rob_s
10-10-06, 05:20
SHIVAN,
If you're going to compare performance, please hold off until you have at least a thousand rounds through each gun. If you're going to do the dreaded "fit and finish" comparison, I've been playing around with a little list of specific things to look for when cursorily evaluating the non-performance aspects of 1911s. Contact me if interested. Just don't want you checking out the slide/frame fit and immediately declaring a winner. ;) I was pretty hard on Yost-Bonitz Custom when I wrote the review of my 1*, some of it unwarranted in retrospect. The more I learn about quality 1911s, the deeper the appreciation I have for what the YoBo folks do, and I would hate to see them thrown under the bus due to misunderstanding or ignorance.

My intent initially is to simply do a features:cost analysis, with updates on function etc. as I get the 1* broken in. I was really hoping it would be here by tomorrow as I'm leaving for a 3 day Bill Jeans class on Thursday and would have liked to have wrung it out there.

Al U. 5811
10-10-06, 23:42
I've had 2 guns done by Novak's. Mostly part swaps on a Kimber Classic Custom and a Springfield MC Operator. Turn around was 2.5 weeks and 1.5 weeks respectively and I got a Gov't discount. You won't be disappointed. Their prices are VERY reasonable as well.

SGB
10-22-06, 14:24
Anyone know if SA offers the same services for owner supplied parts?

Yes they do.:D

SHIVAN
10-23-06, 14:14
Novak's called me....Kimber is shipping back to me today.

~2 weeks.

rob_s
10-23-06, 14:28

~2 weeks.
Wow, color me impressed.

Vinh
10-23-06, 17:03
Sweet! Looking forward to hearing how it runs.

VA_Dinger
10-23-06, 17:48

~2 weeks.

Wow, thats an impressive turn around time.

SHIVAN
10-23-06, 20:37
Wow, thats an impressive turn around time.

They have always done me right. I suspect this time will be no different. One of the myriad reasons I recommend them for 1911 gunsmithing short of full blown custom.

Al U. 5811
10-25-06, 09:44
From my experience that is their normal turnaround time. Yes it is impressive.

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 10:56
Look forward to pics Ed! My below comments do not go with what you did as you got a good deal on a Kimber (understand that).

I like to add that this is thread is kind of the reason why I want to do my 1911's. I don't want to take a production gun and then throw out every single part and start over. This is a waste of time and money to me. I want to build 1911's with quality parts from day one and know exactly what is in it. :D

C4

bullitt5172
11-12-06, 12:45
Did you get it back yet? Let's see some photos.

SHIVAN
11-13-06, 08:58
Sorry guys, I've had it back for some time....no time to shoot at the moment though.

I am renovating the new house and working a bit. Once I leave work, I have more work to do. :(

I've tried the past two weekends to get a couple hours to myself to go and shoot it.

I will get some pics up soon -- I hope.