PDA

View Full Version : Better 9mm magazine: Glock or Beretta 92?

DreadPirateMoyer
04-11-16, 07:52
A question solely on the magazines and not the guns they feed: which has the better overall design? If you didn't own either and were purchasing a gun that could take either magazine (say...the Wilson Combat AR9), which would you pick to stock up on and why? Is one magazine objectively better than the other, especially when considering the 30+ round magazines?

Priority given to reliability first, toughness second, everything else distant third.

P.S.: Wilson Combat Rep said on 1911 Forum that in their testing, the Beretta 92 mags were the smoothest feeders. I assume this would be due to Beretta mags being designed to feed almost directly into the chamber? But that still doesn't speak to reliability and toughness.

ETA: let's keep it to factory and vetted, quality aftermarket (Magpul for Glock, Mec-Gar for Beretta). Also don't forget factory 30+ rounders. I seem to remember reading bad things about Glock and good things about Beretta for those.

tacticaldesire
04-11-16, 09:04
I personally would choose a Glock Magazine. I don't think there's a more reliable magazine out there in my opinion.

ColtSeavers
04-11-16, 09:25
Only experience with Glock magazines are factory ones at the rental range. They performed as they should.

Only real experience with 92 magazines on my own as of right now is Mec Gar. Have used factory ones at rental range too though. They all perform as they should. I have 10 18rd Mec Gars otw for my new 92a1.
I plan on running the three included Beretta factory 17rd magazines through a 'what came in the box' initial range session with the wife this week (using wwb 115gr fmj).

In the Handguns->Beretta subforum on TOS, there's currently a pretty extensive write up on different 92 magazines. Extensive use of factory 17rd mags found the baseplates to be weak. Mec Gar is the favored.

So I guess the question is, are we talking factory only, or any magazines made for either?

Factory, I'd go Glock. first.
After market, any number of choices but Mec Gar is the choice I made.

1986s4
04-11-16, 09:31
In my very limited Glock experience I have found zero problems with them. I have much, much more experience with 92 mags and I have found them to be very reliable as long as one uses Beretta, Mec-Gar or MDS mags. Even old, used LEO mags bought used for 8 bucks have always worked.

mcnabb100
04-11-16, 09:37
With all the aftermarket glockenspiel(hilarious auto correct, I'm not even mad) mags coming out, if I were going to buy a carbine it'd have to be glock compatible.

Averageman
04-11-16, 09:38
I don't think its been an issue for me with either OEM Manufactured magazine.
I have had bad luck with aftermarket magazines for both pistols. I've seen some Korean Glock magazines that at first glance looked G2G, I now keep the last one in the mix just to run failure drills with.

brickboy240
04-11-16, 09:38
Glock factory mags have always worked in all of my Glocks. I know Magpul and other have come out with quality aftermarket mags but the OEM ones work fine and are not overly expensive so I stick with them.

For the Beretta, I have used factory mags or Mec Gars only and again...those worked best.

DreadPirateMoyer
04-11-16, 09:49
Edited OP for clarification. Factory and vetted, quality aftermarket: Magpul and Mec-Gar. Don't forget 30+ rounders too!

Eurodriver
04-11-16, 10:43
Interesting thread, but if the firearm the magazines feed is not a factor it kind of negates the purpose - no?

It would be like asking if Pirellis or Firestones are better tires - if the Pirellis are on a Ferrari and the Firestones are on a Chevy Van how will we really know?

Not trying to be cynical - just contributing ;)

DreadPirateMoyer
04-11-16, 10:50
Because the firearm in question can take either magazine, so which magazine I stock up on comes down to which magazine is the better performer. :)

Scrubber3
04-11-16, 11:27
My nod goes to the glock mags. To me, they're the toughest made. I've used an M9 before and the mags were meh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ColtSeavers
04-11-16, 12:34
Because the firearm in question can take either magazine, so which magazine I stock up on comes down to which magazine is the better performer. :)

In the same gun or offers two different models that can take either?

Which of your other types of handguns that use either glock or 92 mags do you favor/use more?

If the one gun can truly take either type of magazine at any given time, and you don't favor/use either type of pistol over the other, perhaps split the difference and buy say 5 of each so more guns benefit?

Nightstalker865
04-11-16, 12:49
The current production sand resistant mags from Beretta are fantastic. While I've never had an issue with OEM Glock mags, I still prefer metal mags in a handgun.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160411/b09903a02f51f8dfef94a97388e5012f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DreadPirateMoyer
04-11-16, 13:00
In the same gun or offers two different models that can take either?

Which of your other types of handguns that use either glock or 92 mags do you favor/use more?

If the one gun can truly take either type of magazine at any given time, and you don't favor/use either type of pistol over the other, perhaps split the difference and buy say 5 of each so more guns benefit?

Different lower, same upper, so no dual-mag capability. Better phrasing would have been that I also need to pick which lower to go with, so I'm mated to one mag to stock up on. Gun functions fine with either, so it comes down to which mag is better.

Don't own any Glocks, and while I do have Berettas, I wouldn't mind stocking Glock mags if that's the right call.

That said, it looks like this thread is more of a "I own X and X has never given me trouble" thread, which is fine, but I was hoping for more comparative data. Probably won't get it, but hey, let's see!

MountainRaven
04-11-16, 13:26
From what I recall reading what has been written by those who would know...

The Beretta magazines are superior. This has something to do with them being, basically, the same magazine tube (just stretched and with the magazine release cut in a different spot) as the BHP and the BHP having one of the best designed magazines in the world. (This also explains why Mec-Gar's magazines for Beretta, P226, and BHP are relatively inexpensive: The stamping machine is basically doing the same job for all of them, it's just cutting the tube to different lengths and cutting different sized and located holes for the magazine release. I know the baseplates will interchange between the BHP and the Beretta.)

Therefore, combined with your pre-existing battery of Berettas, I would go with Beretta magazines.

The only reason I, personally, would go Glock is because I have a ton of Glock magazines. Had I been asked last year, it would have been Beretta, because I had a ton of Beretta magazines.

ramairthree
04-11-16, 13:48
Beretta

With some caveats.

They have started using crappy baseplate material on some of them.

They have fashion designed some of the baseplates to be such a flush fit a few grains of mud can keep them from going in all the way.

Glock is a CF to change plates and springs vs Beretta.

DreadPirateMoyer
04-11-16, 13:57
Thanks guys. That echoes what I've heard in the past as well and is exactly what I was looking for.

As for the base plates, they're definitely turds on the Beretta 17 rounders. I'll likely go with MecGar 18s as my main stock for this gun -- if I go with Beretta mags in the end, that is.

Clint
04-11-16, 14:04
Different lower, same upper, so no dual-mag capability. Better phrasing would have been that I also need to pick which lower to go with, so I'm mated to one mag to stock up on. Gun functions fine with either, so it comes down to which mag is better.

This question is a bit like comparing apples to orangoutangs.

The magazine reliability also needs to be considered in relation to the feedramp and chamber of the weapon it will be used in.

For example, the glock mag may feed perfectly when used in a glock, with its tilting barrel and feedramp.

But the fixed barrel arrangement of an AR9 upper is a different ballgame and may result in much different feeding geometry from those same mags.

In that regard, the 92 mags may be better, as they are designed to work with a non tilting barrel.

Was the WC rep referring specifically to the AR9 platform?

Without any specific info, you'll just need to trust that WC released both versions with acceptable reliability.

DreadPirateMoyer
04-11-16, 14:14
This question is a bit like comparing apples to orangoutangs.

The magazine reliability also needs to be considered in relation to the feedramp and chamber of the weapon it will be used in.

For example, the glock mag may feed perfectly when used in a glock, with its tilting barrel and feedramp.

But the fixed barrel arrangement of an AR9 upper is a different ballgame and may result in much different feeding geometry from those same mags.

In that regard, the 92 mags may be better, as they are designed to work with a non tilting barrel.

Was the WC rep referring specifically to the AR9 platform?

Without any specific info, you'll just need to trust that WC released both versions with acceptable reliability.

Yeah, you're not wrong, but I'm not left with much else to compare in this decision. Really just left with choosing between two different mags.

Some issues may be independent of function in the gun, though, like dust tolerance, follower and spring issues, base plates cracking, etc. Mostly all I'm left to go on and I don't know much about the magazines relative to one another since it's such an esoteric topic.

And yeah, the quote was direct from WCR regarding feeding in the AR9. That combined with what you said about feeding into a non-tilting barrel lead me towards Beretta, but I'm not 100% sold.

P.S.: for those wondering, I didn't put this in Other Semi-autos because it's about the mags themselves, not really the AR9, and this seemed like a better subforum for it.

ShipWreck
04-11-16, 14:46
I have owned 27 different Beretta 92 variants over 20+ years.. I have also owned 6 Glocks over the years (1st handgun ever was a Glock) - I have no Glocks now, and I have no intention of buying any Glocks in the future (I prefer DA/SA guns for defensive purposes)

Also, the Beretta 92 platform is currently my favorite handgun platform...

That being said, I would pick Glock mags in this hypothetical scenario..... Shocking for me to say, I know.. But I will tell ya why...

It has been many years since Beretta factory mags were made by MecGar.

MDS, a Beretta owned company, makes Beretta factory mags now. Over the past few years, I have noticed that if I keep Beretta factory mags fully loaded to 15 rounds - After several months of this, the mag will not always lock the slide back on an empty magazine... Not reliably.

I have had to replace about a third of my magazine springs with +10% Wolf ones to fix this issue. Now, if I load the Beretta mags only to 14 rounds (1 less round) - I no longer have this issue. So, the Berettas I keep loaded are all 14 + 1 now, and not 15+1. This was an old trick people did in the 80s and 90s to make magazine springs last longer. Unfortunately, I find I still have to do it on my Berettas...

I have NEVER worn out a Glock 17 magazine. I've previously had two particular Glock mags for like 12 years and never had a single issue with them. While I love Beretta 92s more than any other gun around, I find that the mag springs don't seem to equal mags of other brands. The Glock mags also seem to hold up great to dropping them on concrete (while still containing rounds) during USPSA matches.

mcnabb100
04-11-16, 16:32
Just had a thought, you may want to check out a keltec forum. The sub2k is offered in glock & beretta versions.

DreadPirateMoyer
04-11-16, 16:49
I have owned 27 different Beretta 92 variants over 20+ years.. I have also owned 6 Glocks over the years (1st handgun ever was a Glock) - I have no Glocks now, and I have no intention of buying any Glocks in the future (I prefer DA/SA guns for defensive purposes)

Also, the Beretta 92 platform is currently my favorite handgun platform...

That being said, I would pick Glock mags in this hypothetical scenario..... Shocking for me to say, I know.. But I will tell ya why...

It has been many years since Beretta factory mags were made by MecGar.

MDS, a Beretta owned company, makes Beretta factory mags now. Over the past few years, I have noticed that if I keep Beretta factory mags fully loaded to 15 rounds - After several months of this, the mag will not always lock the slide back on an empty magazine... Not reliably.

I have had to replace about a third of my magazine springs with +10% Wolf ones to fix this issue. Now, if I load the Beretta mags only to 14 rounds (1 less round) - I no longer have this issue. So, the Berettas I keep loaded are all 14 + 1 now, and not 15+1. This was an old trick people did in the 80s and 90s to make magazine springs last longer. Unfortunately, I find I still have to do it on my Berettas...

I have NEVER worn out a Glock 17 magazine. I've previously had two particular Glock mags for like 12 years and never had a single issue with them. While I love Beretta 92s more than any other gun around, I find that the mag springs don't seem to equal mags of other brands. The Glock mags also seem to hold up great to dropping them on concrete (while still containing rounds) during USPSA matches.

Good points. I experienced the same with the 15s and switched to 17s for that reason. I've also read many other people with the same issues. The 17s fixed the spring problem, but then threw in turd base plates that crack easily. MecGar 18s seem to be the best for Berettas. No spring OR baseplate issues that I've heard of.

Just had a thought, you may want to check out a keltec forum. The sub2k is offered in glock & beretta versions.

Good idea. Thanks!

YVK
04-11-16, 20:23
Reliability: similar.

Ease of dropping out of magwell: Beretta. Glocks occasionally stick.

Ability to survive the drop: Glock. Loss of baseplates, loss of top rounds and even occasional stuck follower on some Beretta mags, including Mecgars.

Ease of service / dis-assembly: Beretta.

Availability of aftermarket pads / extensions: Glock.

Ease of speed reloads: Glock. Little known fact but some of the members of now long-extinct Beretta shooting team modified their mags / feed lips area for better speed reloading experience.

ramairthree
04-11-16, 20:39

No.

I have a think for sharing mags in pistol / carbine platforms.

I have a CX4 to go with my 92s.
Too much style over substance with magwell inserts and releases that wear out among other things.

For my 96s I got a Sub 2000,
And also one for my Glocks.

They work.
But are even less serious than the CX4.
But not durable, long term hard use capable.
More of a scare off a robber,
Keep looters from your 711 from the roof for the night sort of thing.

Throw in ergs,
Etc. and even more reason to stay away.

samuse
04-11-16, 21:06
I love Beretta mags. As already said, they're the same tube and lip design as a hi Power and Sig P226 and they ARE the best handgun magazine out there.

I actually used an M9 mag as a Barney while shooting a P226 today. They don't click in because of the mag catch slots, but they feed just fine.

ShipWreck
04-11-16, 21:20
Good points. I experienced the same with the 15s and switched to 17s for that reason. I've also read many other people with the same issues. The 17s fixed the spring problem, but then threw in turd base plates that crack easily. MecGar 18s seem to be the best for Berettas. No spring OR baseplate issues that I've heard of.

I had an issue with one 17 rounder a few years back. Had to have Beretta replace it - the follower kept getting stuck.

I personally don't like the factory 17 rounders - as there are no aftermarket springs to replace with IF you do have an issue.

I do have a few Mecgar 18 rounders. I have never had an issue, but I haven't had them long

Benito
04-11-16, 21:34
Howdy,

Neither. Beretta 93R for the win.

(Okay, I promise I'll stop - I'm just having too much of a laugh right now).

mcnabb100
04-12-16, 13:04
No.

I have a think for sharing mags in pistol / carbine platforms.

I have a CX4 to go with my 92s.
Too much style over substance with magwell inserts and releases that wear out among other things.

For my 96s I got a Sub 2000,
And also one for my Glocks.

They work.
But are even less serious than the CX4.
But not durable, long term hard use capable.
More of a scare off a robber,
Keep looters from your 711 from the roof for the night sort of thing.

Throw in ergs,
Etc. and even more reason to stay away.

I was not suggesting he buy a sub2k, I was suggesting that he may be able to find feedback on using the mags he's interested in to feed a carbine.

patriot_man
04-13-16, 01:25
Don't you guys find that rounds feed (or slide out) easier from Glock magazines?

Kdubya
04-14-16, 18:43
I love my Glocks, but both are good choices. Both also are just like anything else, sometimes you come across a lemon or two. I bought a G30s brand new, and was getting 3-5 failure to feed malfunctions per range trip. It would generally happen around the last couple rounds in the mag, and with both mags that came new with the gun. Try as I might, I couldn't intentionally replicate the failure. It just would happen randomly, which made it a little harder to diagnose. Turns out the lip of the magazine, adjacent to the front of the follower, wasn't finished very well and was catching the cartridge neck every once in a while. This was found to be the cause of the failures on both mags. All it took to clear was pulling the slide back and letting it go (exactly like you do when you insert a fresh mag with the slide locked back). A light filing at a 45 degree angle fixed it for good. I'm sure 99% of Glock mags don't have this issue, but it was a bit bizarre to have two shipped in the same box. Still, you can buy either with confidence. And, if you end up going Glock, you'll at least already know how to troubleshoot one of the rare problems you might find.

KTR03
04-14-16, 20:54
I shot a lot in 90s and early 2000s. 4 or 5 times a week (worked at a range). By the time the magazine ban ended in 2004 my GLOCK mags were getting pretty beat up. My Sig mags and browning mags were fine. Given the world we live in I addressed the mag issue by buying 100 GLOCK magazines. Right now I am in a beretta fetish and have been running the Mecgar 18s. I have 20 and see no reason to buy more. So for durability I think a metal mag will do better longer.

Having said all that, I have 2 9mm ARs and love the ETS 30 rounders. Transparent mags are handy in a long gun.

patriot_man
04-17-16, 23:48
I guess LAV tested durability back in the day. (19:56 - mags get run over)

Totally forgot about this video lol.

https://youtu.be/Hks2G4Gwom0?t=19m56s

teutonicpolymer
04-18-16, 10:26
The worst thing about Glock mags is that the basepads are a pain in the ass to take off

What kind of company designs a magazine that requires two tools to take a baseplate off? Glock of course

Other than that they are flawless and cheap