PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Stanley Cup

Pages : [1] 2

gunrunner505
04-11-16, 08:44
Ok boys. The Stanley Cup playoffs are here. Pick your team and hang on.

Who's going to get it done this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RazorBurn
04-11-16, 10:09
I never thought my Pens had a chance to make it to the playoffs, but Sullivan has turned this team around. I think they'll make it to the second round. For my money, I think it will be the Capitals and the Kings for the Stanley Cup finals with the Caps winning the Cup. That's my prediction.

VIP3R 237
04-11-16, 10:23
I'm a Sharks fan but I don't know if they'll make it past the Kings in the first round, but it'll go to 7 games like it always does with those two teams. I think it's the Caps to lose.

Talon167
04-11-16, 10:56
Well my team is out (Colorado).

That being said I am kind of pulling for Washington. I like Ovi and think he deserves a ring.

I wouldn't mind seeing SJ go far. They do really well during the regular season only to get knocked out in the first round year after year.

The Chi/STL will be a great series.

I am looking forward to it. *grabs popcorn*

gunrunner505
04-11-16, 10:57
I would like to say my Blackhawks will repeat but I'm not so sure. The month of March was not kind and we get the Blues in round 1.

Primus Pilum
04-11-16, 10:59
CAPS CAPS CAPS

Digital_Damage
04-11-16, 12:05
Caps always implode in the playoffs where defense rains supreme, I expect this to be the same.

Rangers and Florida bring a lot for the east. Anaheim and Kings in the west.

Voodoochild
04-11-16, 12:13
Go PENS... And yes DD is correct the Caps always implode in the playoffs.

Razor yes they certainly have turned things around for the better.

djegators
04-11-16, 12:51
I wish the Lightning had the same chances they appeared to have coming into the season, but I don't think they have the mojo this year.

D.O.B.A
04-11-16, 12:57
With the death of the Philadelphia Flyers Founder/Owner Ed Snider today I have a feeling they are going to make every effort to Win it for him!

Primus Pilum
04-11-16, 13:28
Caps always implode in the playoffs where defense rains supreme, I expect this to be the same.

Rangers and Florida bring a lot for the east. Anaheim and Kings in the west.

Except the Caps now have one of the best defenses in the league, one of the best PK units and stellar goaltending.

In the past they always scored alot of goals, but they gave up a ton. Look at the stats, this is an entirely different team.

Top Offensive team, Top 5 D and Top 5 goal tending. Show me another team that comes even close. Not to mention scoring is spread around now, They don't need Ovie to score to win.

Digital_Damage
04-11-16, 14:01
I wish the Lightning had the same chances they appeared to have coming into the season, but I don't think they have the mojo this year.

They would have been a favorite if they were not so banged up.

Digital_Damage
04-11-16, 14:06
Except the Caps now have one of the best defenses in the league, one of the best PK units and stellar goaltending.

In the past they always scored alot of goals, but they gave up a ton. Look at the stats, this is an entirely different team.

Top Offensive team, Top 5 D and Top 5 goal tending. Show me another team that comes even close. Not to mention scoring is spread around now, They don't need Ovie to score to win.

Their defensive stats are inflated by starting quickly and sitting on their haunches in the zone. They are playing defense in two periods not Three, not grinding it out. That is the same reason they keep falling in the playoffs.

In the playoffs everyone can score, coming from behind is a hallmark.

Talon167
04-11-16, 15:02
It would be cool to see Fla do well, too... since Jagr is like 1,000 years old and still owning. Besides, the Panthers have sucked for a long time and to see them pull a 180 is cool. I used to be a Panthers fan back in the Beezer days.

I think Ana is the team to beat out of the West. They just blanked the Caps last night.

Primus Pilum
04-11-16, 17:44
Their defensive stats are inflated by starting quickly and sitting on their haunches in the zone. They are playing defense in two periods not Three, not grinding it out. That is the same reason they keep falling in the playoffs.

In the playoffs everyone can score, coming from behind is a hallmark.

This is how we know why actually watches the games and who doesn't.

Caps have been ourscored in the 1st period ALL year. The stats back it up. They score in the 2nd and 3rd period. The Vast Majority of their goals are in the 3rd period and to a lesser extend the 2nd. So how exactly are they sitting back and playing defense?

I have watched probably 90% of the caps games over the last 10 years, and all but 2 or 3 this year. This team is unlike any team the caps have ever had. The metrics prove it, the eyeball tests prove it.

Not saying they will for sure win the cup or even make it to the finals, but this team is unlike any they have ever had in Washington. One of the most complete hockey teams in a long time. Top 5 in just about every stat there is, means this is a strong, well rounded team who can beat you by scoring or beat you with defense. Something the caps have NEVER had before. Defense & Goaltending is what wins championships.

Primus Pilum
04-11-16, 17:44
It would be cool to see Fla do well, too... since Jagr is like 1,000 years old and still owning. Besides, the Panthers have sucked for a long time and to see them pull a 180 is cool. I used to be a Panthers fan back in the Beezer days.

I think Ana is the team to beat out of the West. They just blanked the Caps last night.

With 6 of the top players on the team resting and absolutely NOTHING to play for, including a backup goalie. It was a gimme game.

Bubba FAL
04-11-16, 19:26
I know it a longshot, but GO WINGS!

Hank6046
04-11-16, 19:53
I can't wait for the Wild to win the cup, however I know it this will not be the year. F**king depressing the way they have played all season.

BIGUGLY
04-11-16, 21:12
Yep love the Wild and am a huge fan, but they don't have a snowballs chance in hell. I do think the Caps will have the best chance. Right now anyone but the damn Blackhawks.

gunrunner505
04-11-16, 21:23
I can't wait for the Wild to win the cup, however I know it this will not be the year. F**king depressing the way they have played all season.

They're close. They are a real good team. A couple more pieces and they will be right in it.

gunrunner505
04-11-16, 21:24
Yep love the Wild and am a huge fan, but they don't have a snowballs chance in hell. I do think the Caps will have the best chance. Right now anyone but the damn Blackhawks.

I would love for the Hawks to repeat but I have a feeling this is not going to be their yeah. The last month they have not performed well. But we'll see, that's why they play the games.

Digital_Damage
04-11-16, 21:34
This is how we know why actually watches the games and who doesn't.

Caps have been ourscored in the 1st period ALL year. The stats back it up. They score in the 2nd and 3rd period. The Vast Majority of their goals are in the 3rd period and to a lesser extend the 2nd. So how exactly are they sitting back and playing defense?

I have watched probably 90% of the caps games over the last 10 years, and all but 2 or 3 this year. This team is unlike any team the caps have ever had. The metrics prove it, the eyeball tests prove it.

Not saying they will for sure win the cup or even make it to the finals, but this team is unlike any they have ever had in Washington. One of the most complete hockey teams in a long time. Top 5 in just about every stat there is, means this is a strong, well rounded team who can beat you by scoring or beat you with defense. Something the caps have NEVER had before. Defense & Goaltending is what wins championships.

You can always see the people who are not paying attention, those games they were outscored to start... they lost most of them.

Out of the last 21 games they came from behind to win 3 times....

It is the same story with Cap fans every time they are in the playoffs "the team has changed" "Ovie is not a -/+ monster anymore"

masan
04-12-16, 08:34
I'm a Pens fan, so obviously wanna see them go all the way. Right now I am looking forward to their match up with Lunqvist. Slow start to their round 1 (2 games in 6 days iirc), hopefully we will see the return of a lot of the injured guys.

I honestly cannot think of a time I have rooted for the Flyers (I mean come on, that side of the state is just weird ;) ). That said, I love the idea of my two least favorite teams beating each other up round 1 (7 game series please). I think D.O.B.A is correct, and the Flyers will make a good showing against the Caps.

gunrunner505
04-13-16, 23:14
What's playoff hockey without overtime? Hawks and Blues nothing nothing at the end of regulation. Killin' me.

ETA: DAMMIT!!!!!!

Digital_Damage
04-14-16, 08:20
What's playoff hockey without overtime? Hawks and Blues nothing nothing at the end of regulation. Killin' me.

ETA: DAMMIT!!!!!!

Blues were tougher than people gave them credit for last season even with winning their division. I would have them favored over the kings if they were not banged up. Seems like all the "complete" teams have critical injuries at the moment.

gunrunner505
04-14-16, 08:27
Blues were tougher than people gave them credit for last season even with winning their division. I would have them favored over the kings if they were not banged up. Seems like all the "complete" teams have critical injuries at the moment.

Yeah. I knew this was going to be a tough series and game 1 proved it. Just losing on a fluke deflected puck goal is a drag.

There's quite a few critical injuries this year. The Pens are playing their number 3 goalie, who did a damn good job last night, and the Rangers lose Lundqvist to a stick in the cats eye. Lots of crazy going on.

Digital_Damage
04-20-16, 06:39
man what a crazy first series.

St Louis still charging ahead. They always know how to handle Chicago.
Tampa showing no sighs of missing Stamkos (could be why we saw no new contract). That young core is unbelievable.
Nashville actually leading the Ducks.
Pit is dominating NY. Injuries be damned, and NY showing its age.
Sharks pressing the Kings hard.

The non-surprises
Dallas handling the wild
Just how bad the flyers really are.

gunrunner505
04-20-16, 07:24
Yeah.

There's some surprises in the first round but many non surprises.

Chicago handed STL their 3 wins. This series could have easily been a sweep for either team but the Hawks just don't quite have it this year. STL has a golden horseshoe up their ass and always seem to be able to get a bounce or a break when they need it and Elliot has been on his head, save after save. Unreal. Last night they flat outplayed the Hawks. Oh well, it was a decent season.

Minnesota made a series of it but I don't see them getting past Dallas but I could be wrong. They've been the spoiler before.

Tampa is rolling as are the Caps. It only gets tougher from here.

RazorBurn
04-20-16, 15:22
I'm surprised that Tampa has fared as well honestly, Florida, Hawks, and the Ducks have me scratching my head a little bit. If the Pens can take back total home ice adavantage with another win in New York tomorrow I'll be a happy camper.

Hats off to Corey Crawford for sticking up for himself last night. I was really wanting the Hawks to beat the Blues last night after that. I guess I'm the only non-Hawks fan who sees it as a Blues player feeling a little pressure on his back and making it a blank check to hit Crawford. All the NHL shows today were like "WTF was Crawford thinking", and "oh, he must have already been riled up". There's no doubt in my mind that Fabbri meant to slam into him, and I don't fault Crawford at all for going after him.

Digital_Damage
04-20-16, 19:31
I'm surprised that Tampa has fared as well honestly, Florida, Hawks, and the Ducks have me scratching my head a little bit. If the Pens can take back total home ice adavantage with another win in New York tomorrow I'll be a happy camper.

Hats off to Corey Crawford for sticking up for himself last night. I was really wanting the Hawks to beat the Blues last night after that. I guess I'm the only non-Hawks fan who sees it as a Blues player feeling a little pressure on his back and making it a blank check to hit Crawford. All the NHL shows today were like "WTF was Crawford thinking", and "oh, he must have already been riled up". There's no doubt in my mind that Fabbri meant to slam into him, and I don't fault Crawford at all for going after him.

What are you talking about? Towes pushed him above the sholders into Crawford, had nowhere else to go but down... the Powerplay after that was bullshit. Should have been in favor of St Louis not Chicago, Crawford instigated it.

RazorBurn
04-20-16, 19:45
What are you talking about? Towes pushed him above the sholders into Crawford, had nowhere else to go but down... the Powerplay after that was bullshit. Should have been in favor of St Louis not Chicago, Crawford instigated it.

Dude, I'm a Pens fan so I could really care less about the Blues/Hawks series. All I ask is for you to show me where in these pictures are Towes hands are on Fabbri's shoulders? Sure Fabbri and Towes are close to each other, but Fabbri took an opportunity to pull a Chris Kreider (another bum who likes to hit goalies) and hit Crawford.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Qsz80QoXouvq_fxq5jiYUk6oOTE=/600x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6365507/03_crawford_save02.0.png

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ISFDBC9MWKBUZa11DME7ttk_1hk=/600x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6365509/04_toews_into_fabbri.0.png

Digital_Damage
04-21-16, 07:22
Dude, I'm a Pens fan so I could really care less about the Blues/Hawks series. All I ask is for you to show me where in these pictures are Towes hands are on Fabbri's shoulders? Sure Fabbri and Towes are close to each other, but Fabbri took an opportunity to pull a Chris Kreider (another bum who likes to hit goalies) and hit Crawford.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Qsz80QoXouvq_fxq5jiYUk6oOTE=/600x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6365507/03_crawford_save02.0.png

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ISFDBC9MWKBUZa11DME7ttk_1hk=/600x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6365509/04_toews_into_fabbri.0.png

a push does not just happen with hands.

terrible pictures... watch the video

He lays into him above the shoulders, with his right shoulder and even throws his hip into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gru8aRICncE

TAZ
04-21-16, 09:52
Neither a Blues nor a Hawks fan, but I tend to agree with the NHL analysis of WTF was Crawford thinking. There is definite contact between the 2 players as they are approaching the goal. Tews or however you spell his name doesn't even budge at the fact that the Blues guy just took a cheap shot at his keeper. That there is a clue that even he felt it was incidental contact. Don't play Hockey, but I've spent 20+ years in front of a goal and to me it looks like a shit happens in a game type event. Hockey players tend to be fierce about protecting their keepers yet not a soul batted an eye till they realized Crawford was going at it. That there is a clue. Crawford was riled up. It happens, especially when you're in playoff mode. Doesn't mean he was right.

He even smacks the refs hand away from is jersey. That's a guy who is out of control IMO. What did he get?

Digital_Damage
04-21-16, 14:56
Neither a Blues nor a Hawks fan, but I tend to agree with the NHL analysis of WTF was Crawford thinking. There is definite contact between the 2 players as they are approaching the goal. Tews or however you spell his name doesn't even budge at the fact that the Blues guy just took a cheap shot at his keeper. That there is a clue that even he felt it was incidental contact. Don't play Hockey, but I've spent 20+ years in front of a goal and to me it looks like a shit happens in a game type event. Hockey players tend to be fierce about protecting their keepers yet not a soul batted an eye till they realized Crawford was going at it. That there is a clue. Crawford was riled up. It happens, especially when you're in playoff mode. Doesn't mean he was right.

He even smacks the refs hand away from is jersey. That's a guy who is out of control IMO. What did he get?

Nothing... he got zero penalty minutes. Other Blackhawks were called during the fisticuffs but Crawford walked away without a penalty even after making contact with the ref. That is why the whole play was bazar as it gets.

This is also not a new thing for Crawford, he has pulled this crap three other times.

gunrunner505
04-21-16, 17:54
Nothing... he got zero penalty minutes. Other Blackhawks were called during the fisticuffs but Crawford walked away without a penalty even after making contact with the ref. That is why the whole play was bazar as it gets.

This is also not a new thing for Crawford, he has pulled this crap three other times.

Crow was indeed assessed a 2 minute minor for roughing against Fabrri. There were in fact 5 penalties handed out for that. 2 on Chicago, including Crow, and 3 on STL.

The hit from Toews on Fabbri was minor, a little shove to get him off the puck. It was not a push into Crawford. Now, Crawford should have just let it roll as incidental contact so for his reaction he is out of line.

Emotional game.

djegators
04-22-16, 07:48
So now that the Lightning advance, who should we be rooting for to win, Islanders or Panthers?

gunrunner505
04-22-16, 07:51
Hawks live another day. That was an awesome goal by Kaner. Dude's got some moves.

Digital_Damage
04-22-16, 10:05
Crow was indeed assessed a 2 minute minor for roughing against Fabrri. There were in fact 5 penalties handed out for that. 2 on Chicago, including Crow, and 3 on STL.

The hit from Toews on Fabbri was minor, a little shove to get him off the puck. It was not a push into Crawford. Now, Crawford should have just let it roll as incidental contact so for his reaction he is out of line.

Emotional game.

Ya, you are right. Still should have been PP in favor of St Louis.

Digital_Damage
04-22-16, 10:05
So now that the Lightning advance, who should we be rooting for to win, Islanders or Panthers?

If you want the Lighting to win you root for the islanders. Florida has had Tampa's number this year.

gunrunner505
04-22-16, 14:24
Ya, you are right. Still should have been PP in favor of St Louis.

That whole little episode was full stupid. Everyone else is skating away playing hockey and Crawdaddy wants to get in a fight. Not sure how the refs decided who got what for a penalty.

All I know is, game 6 is Saturday and I'll be tuned in.

VIP3R 237
04-23-16, 01:00
I'm pleasantly surprised as the Sharks took care of LA pretty easily.

Digital_Damage
04-23-16, 07:38

Lots of surprises in the first round. Good start to the playoffs this year.

RazorBurn
04-23-16, 07:54

Me too. I know that's had to blow up a lot of brackets, mine included. I really figured the Sharks would choke against the Kings. I'm surprised that Washington has let the Flyers back in that series.

Digital_Damage
04-23-16, 08:36
Me too. I know that's had to blow up a lot of brackets, mine included. I really figured the Sharks would choke against the Kings. I'm surprised that Washington has let the Flyers back in that series.

Not surprised the Caps are letting the playoffs slip away(It is their MO), I am surprised it is the flyers that are doing it.

Kings were in my bracket too. So were the Rangers, talk about blowing up.

gunrunner505
04-23-16, 10:50
Gives me a warm fuzzy the Kings are out. Just something about them I can't get past.

The Caps are starting the slide a lot of guys predicted. We'll see if they can stop the bleeding and live up to the hype. The curse of the presidents trophy at work.

Minnesota is making a series of it. They are another team that just will not go away. Nashville let Anaheim back in it.

Some great hockey going on right now.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

gunrunner505
04-23-16, 22:51
What an awesome game by the Hawks. Overcame a lousy first period and played an outstanding 2nd and 3rd. A lot of yelling at the tv.

Game 7 is going to be insane.

GO GAWKS.

Digital_Damage
04-26-16, 09:31
Window has closed for the Backhawks, they will need to reshuffle their lineup considerably over the next 2-3 seasons to compete again.

I Can't believe Nashville is taking the ducks to 7.

gunrunner505
04-26-16, 19:43
Window has closed for the Backhawks, they will need to reshuffle their lineup considerably over the next 2-3 seasons to compete again.

I Can't believe Nashville is taking the ducks to 7.

Yeah. They missed the boat last night. Disappointed for sure. There will be moves in the off season, they'll get another crack at it. I can live with a cup every other season.

The Preds are a good team, typically they are tougher than they get credit for. That's going to be another wild full throttle game. Should be good to watch.

_Stormin_
04-26-16, 19:56
Really worried about my Stars against the Blues. They sure love to give up goals, and St Louis won't be an easy series.

Digital_Damage
04-26-16, 20:07
Yeah. They missed the boat last night. Disappointed for sure. There will be moves in the off season, they'll get another crack at it. I can live with a cup every other season.

The Preds are a good team, typically they are tougher than they get credit for. That's going to be another wild full throttle game. Should be good to watch.

With the massive back loading of Toes, Kane, Hossa, Anisimov, Seabrook and Keith Their actual payroll will swell to 81 million next season.

They more or less placed all their eggs in the basket this season. They will only have 900k even with Ladd,Shaw,Panik,Fleischmann,Weise,Rasmussen, Mashinter,Ehrhoff and Rozsival coming off the books to sign next season and they have 8 spots to fill. Even using Bickell as a stop gap is not going to work since he is a 4 mil hit when he is plugged in.

They are going to have to move Three big names since their farm is completely depleted next season as well, (due to the trades for Ladd and co).Those 10.5 million contracts they gave Toews and Kane are coming due. It is the same story all the way through 2019, they are going to have to trade three of their 6 core or they will have several seasons with very long buyouts to contend with. And if they go the buyout route they will become the new Redwings, just enough talent to make it to the playoffs but not enough depth to run deep. Everyone saw this coming in 2014 and they got a small breather with the increased cap and dangling overpriced players for trade, but instead of playing it safe they went all in for 2015-2016.

Their best option is to trade Toews and Bickell , but I don't see many teams picking either of them up at their cost with the production they put out.

Tampa also has a situation, the emergence of Kucherov is going to cause them a lot of issues. Everyone is talking about Stamkos contract, but Kucherov is due too and they will not be able to keep both.

Before the season I would have said no way Tampa lets him walk (Stamkos), but now I see that is likely to happen.

Digital_Damage
04-28-16, 07:55
With the ducks going down the race to the cup has blown wide open... This will be amazing to watch.

gunrunner505
04-28-16, 09:26
With the massive back loading of Toes, Kane, Hossa, Anisimov, Seabrook and Keith Their actual payroll will swell to 81 million next season.

They more or less placed all their eggs in the basket this season. They will only have 900k even with Ladd,Shaw,Panik,Fleischmann,Weise,Rasmussen, Mashinter,Ehrhoff and Rozsival coming off the books to sign next season and they have 8 spots to fill. Even using Bickell as a stop gap is not going to work since he is a 4 mil hit when he is plugged in.

They are going to have to move Three big names since their farm is completely depleted next season as well, (due to the trades for Ladd and co).Those 10.5 million contracts they gave Toews and Kane are coming due. It is the same story all the way through 2019, they are going to have to trade three of their 6 core or they will have several seasons with very long buyouts to contend with. And if they go the buyout route they will become the new Redwings, just enough talent to make it to the playoffs but not enough depth to run deep. Everyone saw this coming in 2014 and they got a small breather with the increased cap and dangling overpriced players for trade, but instead of playing it safe they went all in for 2015-2016.

Their best option is to trade Toews and Bickell , but I don't see many teams picking either of them up at their cost with the production they put out.

Tampa also has a situation, the emergence of Kucherov is going to cause them a lot of issues. Everyone is talking about Stamkos contract, but Kucherov is due too and they will not be able to keep both.

Before the season I would have said no way Tampa lets him walk (Stamkos), but now I see that is likely to happen.

I do believe the Hawks have way too much money tied up in Tazer and Kane but that's me. We'll see what the off season holds as far a moving players. Hope it's not too much of a yard sale. However coach Q is pretty good at matching up players so we have that in our pocket.

Toews did under produce this season and he was pretty much invisible in round 1. STL did a good job corralling him and Kane.

I agree there's no way to move Tazer with his contract, they can't even move Bickell, not that anyone wants him I think.

There was talk at the end of last season that Stampkos' days in Tampa were numbered, that just might be the case for sure. Have to see how he comes out of this blood clot thing he's dealing with right now.

Going to be an interesting off season for a lot of teams.

gunrunner505
04-28-16, 09:27
With the ducks going down the race to the cup has blown wide open... This will be amazing to watch.

All the big guns got their asses kicked this year.

Digital_Damage
04-30-16, 19:53
Tampa looking like the team to beat in the East, The young guys are crashing the net and Bishop is seeing everything right now. Game 3 will be the decider in that series.

Washington is looking like a typical Washington post season, squeaked by the Pens last game and so far in the first getting pushed around. They currently only have one shot on goal... to the Pens 11.... and Pens have a 6 to 1 take away advantage.

gunrunner505
04-30-16, 20:54
Tampa looking like the team to beat in the East, The young guys are crashing the net and Bishop is seeing everything right now. Game 3 will be the decider in that series.

Washington is looking like a typical Washington post season, squeaked by the Pens last game and so far in the first getting pushed around. They currently only have one shot on goal... to the Pens 11.... and Pens have a 6 to 1 take away advantage.

Yeah. And Orpik won himself a suspension I think for that shot on Maata.

Tampa looked pretty good. I can see that series getting chippy. Sharks/Preds got real chippy at the end of the game last night.

Digital_Damage
04-30-16, 23:55
Yeah. And Orpik won himself a suspension I think for that shot on Maata.

Tampa looked pretty good. I can see that series getting chippy. Sharks/Preds got real chippy at the end of the game last night.

Ya 1 game min... clearly targeting the head.

cwgibson
05-01-16, 01:31
Go Preds!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Alex V
05-01-16, 07:54
Is it odd that I have been playing hockey since I was a little kid and still play in a rec league on two teams but don't watch hockey? :-)

My team mates this it's odd.

RazorBurn
05-01-16, 11:12
I'm glad my Pens won the game last night to split in DC. Orpik should get 2 or 3, but I'll be shocked if the NHL does anything more than fine him. Sure it was a late hit, and high head hit, but the NHL won't have the balls to "affect" the playoffs IMHO. I hope they do, but I don't see it happening.

Is it odd that I have been playing hockey since I was a little kid and still play in a rec league on two teams but don't watch hockey? :-)

My team mates this it's odd.

I'd say that's odd too. You have a favorite player? Ovechkin is the total package, and it amazes me how well he hits for an offensive oriented guy. I played basketball and football, but we didn't have hockey around here when I was a kid. I sure wish they had. It's such a great game to watch.

_Stormin_
05-01-16, 15:53
Looks like St Louis is going to keep this one interesting for me... Lot of time left in the game, but down 3-1 through two periods of play isn't going to be easy to fight back from.

nof555
05-01-16, 16:15
I'm glad my Pens won the game last night to split in DC. Orpik should get 2 or 3, but I'll be shocked if the NHL does anything more than fine him. Sure it was a late hit, and high head hit, but the NHL won't have the balls to "affect" the playoffs IMHO. I hope they do, but I don't see it happening.

Indeed, was a dirty game for sure but that hit was shity. Really want to see Fleury back in though.

_Stormin_
05-01-16, 17:01
down 3-1 through two periods of play isn't going to be easy to fight back from

Happy to be eating my words. Here we go to overtime.

_Stormin_
05-01-16, 17:59
And there we go with the loss. Stupid penalties...

Alex V
05-01-16, 19:53
I'd say that's odd too. You have a favorite player? Ovechkin is the total package, and it amazes me how well he hits for an offensive oriented guy. I played basketball and football, but we didn't have hockey around here when I was a kid. I sure wish they had. It's such a great game to watch.

I've spent most of my life playing under number 91 :-)

gunrunner505
05-01-16, 20:04
And there we go with the loss. Stupid penalties...

Penalties kill you in overtime. Particularly the careless ones.

And in other news, Orpik gets suspended 3 games. In the playoffs that's huge. Pens need to take advantage of this........ Can't believe I just said that.......

RazorBurn
05-01-16, 20:07
I've spent most of my life playing under number 91 :-)

He's a damn good one! He had it all too! It still amazes me to hear other player like Brett Hull talk about playing with him, and against him. It's sad that teams can't be built like they were back in the mid 80's to late 90's. I always like to watch the Red Wings even if they weren't playing my Pens.

RazorBurn
05-01-16, 20:09

And in other news, Orpik gets suspended 3 games. In the playoffs that's huge. Pens need to take advantage of this........ Can't believe I just said that.......

That is so true. I hadn't heard about the Orpik suspension until now. I'm shocked they gave him 3. You are hella right though, they had best take advantage of it for sure. Orpik is a good defenseman, and that will be a big hole for Chorney or Orlov to fill.

Digital_Damage
05-01-16, 21:17

Man Three games seems a bit high. 1 would be a slap, 2 would have been a strong message. 3 is a big big deal

gunrunner505
05-01-16, 21:25
Man Three games seems a bit high. 1 would be a slap, 2 would have been a strong message. 3 is a big big deal

I heard it referred to today as a predatory hit targeting the the head so it could have been way worse I think.

RazorBurn
05-02-16, 22:44
My God did Murray steal a game tonight. I'd say Letang gets a day or two off courtesy of the Player Safety Dept for his late hit.

Talon167
05-03-16, 07:53
My God did Murray steal a game tonight. I'd say Letang gets a day or two off courtesy of the Player Safety Dept for his late hit.

Definitely not playing like a rook, that's for sure. 47 saves.

I'd have to agree... especially after Orpik got three. I say Letang gets at least one, maybe two.

djegators
05-03-16, 07:56
Looking for the Bolts to come out strong and retake home ice advantage.

Digital_Damage
05-03-16, 09:35

It was not very late... but he did leave his feet. so he will get a couple of games.

Even with Caps attempted rally Pens were in control of that game. It is just like I was telling Primus Pilum, they hardly come from behind and win. If they don't score first 90% chance they lose.

RazorBurn
05-03-16, 10:28
It was not very late... but he did leave his feet. so he will get a couple of games.

Even with Caps attempted rally Pens were in control of that game. It is just like I was telling Primus Pilum, they hardly come from behind and win. If they don't score first 90% chance they lose.

Yeah, if he hadn't left his feet he doesn't come close to the head and life goes on. Leaving his feet will get him at least a day, but I'm expecting two just because they gave Orpik three. Even though Letang's hit is no where near the scale of what Orpik's was they'll make an example out of it. Stupid move by Letang but I understand what he was trying to do at the time. Get a big hit and try to keep the Pens and the fans into it.

Talon167
05-03-16, 15:14
Looks like Letang gets one game suspension...

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/05/03/video-penguins-letang-suspended-one-game/

nof555
05-03-16, 17:24

That's fair. Just like if a high stick draws blood, a suspension should be different if it causes the player to miss games.

djegators
05-03-16, 21:46
Wow...awesome OT win by Bolts!

Digital_Damage
05-04-16, 07:50
Wow...awesome OT win by Bolts!

Big game for them, Isles tried to bully them to a win and it back fired. That Hickey flop ironically cost them the game, he took himself out of position trying to get the call.

djegators
05-04-16, 08:02
Big game for them, Isles tried to bully them to a win and it back fired. That Hickey flop ironically cost them the game, he took himself out of position trying to get the call.

I don't think we lose this series now.

RazorBurn
05-04-16, 08:03

Yeah, when the Bolts tied it up I knew it was over for the Isles. Having Greiss in goal would give me the same feeling of having Zatkoff in goal for a whole series for the Pens...

gunrunner505
05-04-16, 09:08
It was a shooting gallery last night.

STL unloaded on Dallas.

Nashville finally gets a win. Games 1 & 2 where they went to an empty net were both keystone cops events.

Digital_Damage
05-04-16, 09:15
I don't think we lose this series now.

I think that is a bit premature, for all accounts the Bolts should have lost that game. If the Isles did not miscue they would have won. If they win the next game ya, but don't forget the Isles took one away from the lightning on their home ice .

There is going to be a stupid amount of penalty minutes next game.

Digital_Damage
05-04-16, 09:17
It was a shooting gallery last night.

STL unloaded on Dallas.

Nashville finally gets a win. Games 1 & 2 where they went to an empty net were both keystone cops events.

No kidding, the Blues pissed all over them then kicked them when they tried to wipe it off their faces.

Even with a Nashville win I think they lose that series.

gunrunner505
05-04-16, 09:24
Even with a Nashville win I think they lose that series.

I think they will too. They will make the Sharks work for it though. However, San Jose does have a history of folding pretty hard in the post season so Nashville moving on is not out of the question. Going to be a good series if Nashville can avoid the empty net monster because that worked out so well the first 2 games.

gunrunner505
05-04-16, 09:25
I think that is a bit premature, for all accounts the Bolts should have lost that game. If the Isles did not miscue they would have won. If they win the next game ya, but don't forget the Isles took one away from the lightning on their home ice .

They didn't even wait for the puck drop last game. 2 guys are skating near the blue line in warm ups and fed each other a shoulder. Pushing and shoving ensued.

Voodoochild
05-04-16, 10:58

I'm ok with a one game suspension. Although it wasn't exactly a dirty hit but hey I don't want to hear anymore of the "Pens are the favored team" whiners. Orpick hit was indeed dirty and his suspension was right.

Talon167
05-04-16, 11:08
They didn't even wait for the puck drop last game. 2 guys are skating near the blue line in warm ups and fed each other a shoulder. Pushing and shoving ensued.

Yep, and one of them was Brian Boyle... OT goal scorer.

djegators
05-04-16, 14:24

You are probably right, it just kinda feels like the isles gave it their best shot and came up short.

RazorBurn
05-04-16, 14:29
The sad thing is that the Isles gave that game away. Should give them inspiration for the next game.

RazorBurn
05-04-16, 23:00
Holy sweet mother of pearl, Go Pens Go!!!

nof555
05-04-16, 23:01
This pens caps series is turning into a boxing match. I feel whoever wins will probably win the cup.

Let's go pens!!!

RazorBurn
05-04-16, 23:11
This pens caps series is turning into a boxing match. I feel whoever wins will probably win the cup.

Let's go pens!!!

I'm still stunned that the Pens outhit them tonight. You could really tell they tried to match the Caps physicality. I was pretty much trying to prepare and convince myself all day that they'd lose tonight and not get my hopes up. I almost didn't watch the game because I didn't want to jinx them (I know, sports fans think stupid things). What a gutsy game by the whole team, and of course Murray stands on his head again too. Great win, and I'd love to see them win to close out the series this Saturday.

nof555
05-04-16, 23:38
I'm still stunned that the Pens outhit them tonight. You could really tell they tried to match the Caps physicality. I was pretty much trying to prepare and convince myself all day that they'd lose tonight and not get my hopes up. I almost didn't watch the game because I didn't want to jinx them (I know, sports fans think stupid things). What a gutsy game by the whole team, and of course Murray stands on his head again too. Great win, and I'd love to see them win to close out the series this Saturday.

I had to go to bww to watch the game since it wasn't televised at my house. I was so tempted to leave once it went to overtime due to the Pens typical poor playoff overtime performance and me having to wake up at 5:30. Glad I stuck it out as I was way outnumbered by Caps fans tonight.

Digital_Damage
05-05-16, 08:49

Let's go pens!!!

I would not read to much into the Caps collapse. That happens every time they get into the playoffs.

Pens are not the strongest team out there. With the way the Blues are playing and If Stralman and Brown (no way Stamkos recovers in time) make it back for Tampa they will be at a disadvantage against Tampa, St Louis and the sharks.

Even with Tampa being so banged I would still give Tampa the small advantage. Even with Stralman, Brown and Stamkos out they are currently putting up the most points only three games into the 2nd series, Johnson and Kucherov are both in the top 5 for points and are number one and number two in +/-.

If the Islanders some how pull another upset you can write the Pens in for the final dance.

Talon167
05-05-16, 12:07
Well, stick a fork in the Caps.... again.

gunrunner505
05-06-16, 07:42
Well, stick a fork in the Caps.... again.

They are in quite a spot that's for sure. Don't know why the continue to fall apart in the playoffs.

On another note, that Sharks/Predlys game was awesome. Amazing goal by Fisher. Those boys are worn out today.

cwgibson
05-06-16, 08:23
They are in quite a spot that's for sure. Don't know why the continue to fall apart in the playoffs.

On another note, that Sharks/Predlys game was awesome. Amazing goal by Fisher. Those boys are worn out today.

That was a good game but we still have to steal one in San Jose.

Digital_Damage
05-06-16, 13:54
That was a good game but we still have to steal one in San Jose.

That sharks Goal never should have been waved off, Nashville should have lost that game. If they go on to win the series it will be a serious injustice.

Digital_Damage
05-06-16, 18:58
hum looks like Capuano's post game crying about Hickeys flop is working out for them. Refs are calling this REALY tight tonight.

Tampa spent a third of the first period a man down.

gunrunner505
05-06-16, 20:58
hum looks like Capuano's post game crying about Hickeys flop is working out for them. Refs are calling this REALY tight tonight.

Tampa spent a third of the first period a man down.

I'm more a fan of keeping the whistle in your pocket in the playoffs. Call the big, bad, obvious ones but after that let the boys decide it.

djegators
05-06-16, 21:15
Another sweet OT win....looking good to clinch Sunday at home....go Bolts!

Digital_Damage
05-07-16, 10:31
I'm more a fan of keeping the whistle in your pocket in the playoffs. Call the big, bad, obvious ones but after that let the boys decide it.

Agree... the Refs set the tone for that game early. When that happens everyone loses. Some what happy it did not work out for the Isles, Capuano's antics are old and tired.

gunrunner505
05-07-16, 11:09
Agree... the Refs set the tone for that game early. When that happens everyone loses. Some what happy it did not work out for the Isles, Capuano's antics are old and tired.

The Isles are making a game of it but the series is slipping away from them. All the games are super close. You can't take a stupid penalty and let the refs decide the game.

gunrunner505
05-07-16, 17:00
Dallas is folding bad. Another lopsided loss.

VIP3R 237
05-08-16, 01:23
Sharks came out to play. No review needed on this one.

djegators
05-08-16, 15:03
Bolts start strong, Isles going to desperation mode...

gunrunner505
05-09-16, 07:28
Bolts start strong, Isles going to desperation mode...

Isles had nothing for Tampa yesterday. Bishop was brilliant in net.

Digital_Damage
05-09-16, 07:34
Isles had nothing for Tampa yesterday. Bishop was brilliant in net.

With the way he has played in the playoffs he deserves the Vezina. Playing like that while they are short on D, has been amazing. With that said they will give it to Holtby despite the Caps system inflating his numbers.

Digital_Damage
05-09-16, 07:36
Top three in +/-

1. Tyler Johnson, TB 11
1. Nikita Kucherov, TB 11
3. Alex Killorn, TB 10

I have never seen that before in the playoffs.

Edit: I stand corrected Boston in 2012-2013

RazorBurn
05-09-16, 10:00
Top three in +/-

1. Tyler Johnson, TB 11
3. Alex Killorn, TB 10

I have never seen that before in the playoffs.

Edit: I stand corrected Boston in 2012-2013

That's really impressive. I really thought that the Islanders would give the Bolts a little more of a fit.

Digital_Damage
05-09-16, 20:08
I seriously can't figure out the Blues... they are either on point or totally fall apart.

Digital_Damage
05-10-16, 07:48
Wow the west is just a mess, no consistency and some boneheaded lapses. Looks positive for the East.

gunrunner505
05-10-16, 08:13
I seriously can't figure out the Blues... they are either on point or totally fall apart.

Eliott finally got rattled. He's a good goalie don't get me wrong but the guy has had some serious luck this post season as well. But for Dallas to win a 3-2 game scoring all 3 in the first and putting up 14 shots all game while Lehtonen faces 37 is not good. Goaltending is the one and only reason Dallas stole that game.

nof555
05-10-16, 21:58
The Penguins give up a 3-0 lead with the help of three back to back delay of game penalties. Come on now, so frustrated with their lack of consistency. Maybe they can pull it out in ot.

gunrunner505
05-10-16, 22:43
The Penguins give up a 3-0 lead with the help of three back to back delay of game penalties. Come on now, so frustrated with their lack of consistency. Maybe they can pull it out in ot.

There were 5 straight penalties to the Pens in the 3rd. Real poor discipline.

But they pulled it out in OT to frustrate the Caps, again.....

RazorBurn
05-10-16, 23:34
Well, despite the Pens best efforts, they pull out a win to send the Caps home. I was hella cursing them for the three delay of game penalties in a row. The Bonino one was just pure dumb bad luck, but the others were stupid and I'm including Kunitz's tripping penalty in the stupidity too.

I'll be interested to see if they can find a way to get the puck past Bishop now.

Digital_Damage
05-11-16, 07:44
Well, despite the Pens best efforts, they pull out a win to send the Caps home. I was hella cursing them for the three delay of game penalties in a row. The Bonino one was just pure dumb bad luck, but the others were stupid and I'm including Kunitz's tripping penalty in the stupidity too.

I'll be interested to see if they can find a way to get the puck past Bishop now.

Pens were lucky to walk away with a win, they were being boneheads out there in the third.

If the Bolts played to 6 I would give them the edge in the series, but they have shown to get rusty on long waits. I would call it even at this point without Stamkos and Stalman, with them and the Bolts go to the cup series. They took all three against Pen during the regular season.

As for Washington.... until the dump Ovie they will never win a cup. He can't play truly competitive hockey at the international or NHL level, you cant just sit out on the line and keep taking shots at the net like the regular season.

djegators
05-11-16, 09:46
Pens were lucky to walk away with a win, they were being boneheads out there in the third.

If the Bolts played to 6 I would give them the edge in the series, but they have shown to get rusty on long waits. I would call it even at this point without Stamkos and Stalman, with them and the Bolts go to the cup series. They took all three against Pen during the regular season.

As for Washington.... until the dump Ovie they will never win a cup. He can't play truly competitive hockey at the international or NHL level, you cant just sit out on the line and keep taking shots at the net like the regular season.

It looks like it will be a fun series!

Talon167
05-11-16, 11:05
At least Washington made a game out of it last night. I went to bed before OT.

Two game sevens coming up...

gunrunner505
05-11-16, 21:12
At least Washington made a game out of it last night. I went to bed before OT.

Two game sevens coming up...

And Dallas is getting pounded. Holy shit. All STL all the time tonight.

Voodoochild
05-12-16, 07:33

Any news on Matta coming back? Yeah Pens were doing everything possible to blow that game. Murray has been incredible thus far.

Eurodriver
05-12-16, 08:21
2/3 of the earth is covered by water.

The other 1/3 is covered by Ben Bishop.

RazorBurn
05-12-16, 10:03
Any news on Matta coming back? Yeah Pens were doing everything possible to blow that game. Murray has been incredible thus far.

Maata played in game 6 vesus the Caps. Looked decent, a little slow but didn't look too out of place. Murray has been awesome, and even though I'm a Fleury fan I think Sullivan needs to keep him in net while he's hot.

Digital_Damage
05-12-16, 10:57
And Dallas is getting pounded. Holy shit. All STL all the time tonight.

They are just too inconsistent. they show a level of play that no one can match, then turn around and get themselves pounded into oblivion.

Digital_Damage
05-12-16, 10:59
Maata played in game 6 vesus the Caps. Looked decent, a little slow but didn't look too out of place. Murray has been awesome, and even though I'm a Fleury fan I think Sullivan needs to keep him in net while he's hot.

He has to keep Murray in, Even if he puts up two stinkers in a row next round. The politics of it are just that strong at this point.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 11:36
They really need to fix the Seeding. Caps should not have been playing the Pens and the Stars should not have been playing the Blues.

Having 4 of the best teams play in the second round, and letting lessor teams advance is bad for the sport. Those matchups should have been in the conference financials.

The two best teams in the league were bounced early because of poor seeding IMO. Really not fair to them both. Every other league gets this right, its not March Madness.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 11:38

Hotlby Dissents:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/save_pct_career_p.html

RazorBurn
05-12-16, 13:16
They really need to fix the Seeding. Caps should not have been playing the Pens and the Stars should not have been playing the Blues.

Having 4 of the best teams play in the second round, and letting lessor teams advance is bad for the sport. Those matchups should have been in the conference financials.

The two best teams in the league were bounced early because of poor seeding IMO. Really not fair to them both. Every other league gets this right, its not March Madness.

Hey, at least the Caps got to play the Flyers...

gunrunner505
05-12-16, 13:19

That's pretty good.

I was listening to and interview with Lightning coach Jon Cooper this morning and he said the 3 keys to being a successful coach in the NHL were an understanding wife, a loyal dog and a shit hot goalie.

Lightning are playing some great hockey right now and STL just has the look.

gunrunner505
05-12-16, 13:23

What would they change it to? Conference winner plays they lower seed wildcard, next higher plays the higher seeded wc. The guys in the middle duke it out. There's always the chance of the team that's supposed to win getting bounced.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 13:26
Hey, at least the Caps got to play the Flyers...

Yea if there was every a team that deserved to be disbanded and have their memory erased from the history books its the flyers.

Should have been Caps/Islanders and Pit/TB. Caps and Pit should have meet in conference finals. Pit was the better team and deserved to win, but this game was a round early.

It would be like the Pats/Denver playing in the wild card round when both teams go 15-1, while the bengals who go 9-7 have clear path to the Superbowl because they are playing wild cards and 4th seeds. Seeding is done so the better teams not only are rewarded for doing well in the regular season, but so the best teams have the best chance to win it all. Same reason there is home-field advantage granted to the better team.

They broke the playoffs with these stupid divisions and now playoff format. A ton of money will be lost because no one really cares who watch TB/PIT but TB and PIT fans. EVERYONE wanted to watch Crosby vs.Ovie and the TV numbers were through the roof.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 13:32
What would they change it to? Conference winner plays they lower seed wildcard, next higher plays the higher seeded wc. The guys in the middle duke it out. There's always the chance of the team that's supposed to win getting bounced.

Yea thats not the problem. A team can always be upset. But if there is an upset, like Flordia getting stomped, than the lower seeded teams have a clear path deep in the playoffs while 2 better teams have to square off in earlier rounds.

This is why reseeding needs to happen after every round. If 1 2, 4 and WC2 all advance....... The 1/2 & 4/WC2 is NOT the right matchup. 1/WC2 & 2/4 would be the proper matchup. Lower seeded teams should have to climb a higher mountain than those who are the better teams. It's the whole point in seeding.

There will always be upsets, but you have to reward the better team. Hell, the NFL gives first round byes to the top 2 seeds in each conference. Having a bunch of bottom dweller who snuck into the playoffs dukeing it out on the regular for a title is bad for the sport. Its bad for ratings and bad for $$.

Otherwise just use a lottery system and randomly seed teams. Hell, lets make everyone make the playoffs and worst teams can be seeded first.........

RazorBurn
05-12-16, 14:20
Personally I like the old school seedings, 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5. If you finish at the top you should get a "easier" team to play in the first round. In the second round you're supposed to theoretically get the top seeded teams playing each other anyway. So sometimes it just doesn't make that big of a difference.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 14:37
Well what happens when a WC beats 1 seed, like we saw happen twice this year? Now that WC has a much easier path to the finals not to mention the 3-4 seeded team. The 1 seeded teams end up playing the 2's and making it that much easier for the LOW seeded teams to advance because the heavy hitters are knocking each other out. Huge disadvantage to a 1 seed and 2 seed team as only one can advance.

Talon167
05-12-16, 14:47
What do you guys think of the coach’s challenge?

Personally, not a fan. Sure, it’s a way to 100% make sure a play is called correctly, but it really kills the atmosphere and flow of the game. Coaches only use it when a goal is scored, so when they do, right or wrong, all the excitement is drained out of the building (and me). I think regular referee reviews are still valid (did the puck 100% cross the line, did that shot hit the post or go in-and-out so fast it only looked like it did, etc). The refs in the game are extremely good and get it right 95% of the time and when they’re not sure, they let the play go on and review it later… just leave it be. Probably one of those things that if the challenge goes your way, you like it; if it doesn't, you don't. IMO, get rid of it and keep the game fluid.

This is one of the reasons I all but quit watching football. I swear after any play there is a flag on the ground, either yellow or red.

Talon167
05-12-16, 14:49
Personally I like the old school seedings, 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5. If you finish at the top you should get a "easier" team to play in the first round. In the second round you're supposed to theoretically get the top seeded teams playing each other anyway. So sometimes it just doesn't make that big of a difference.

Yep, me too. So much easier to keep track of. It's also more "fair" to the higher rank teams. Congratulations on being the 1 seed, you get home ice advantage and the lowest remaining seed throughout the playoffs.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 14:59

Personally, not a fan. Sure, it’s a way to 100% make sure a play is called correctly, but it really kills the atmosphere and flow of the game. Coaches only use it when a goal is scored, so when they do, right or wrong, all the excitement is drained out of the building (and me). I think regular referee reviews are still valid (did the puck 100% cross the line, did that shot hit the post or go in-and-out so fast it only looked like it did, etc). The refs in the game are extremely good and get it right 95% of the time and when they’re not sure, they let the play go on and review it later… just leave it be. Probably one of those things that if the challenge goes your way, you like it; if it doesn't, you don't. IMO, get rid of it and keep the game fluid.

This is one of the reasons I all but quit watching football. I swear after any play there is a flag on the ground, either yellow or red.

I like the challenge, just don't like the whole offsides. Its such a subjective call. For goalie interference I like it, but that should be re-viewable for Toronto automatically.

They need to stop making rule change after rule change, and making the game to complicated in every sport. Less rules and less subjective calls.

You should be able to challenge penalties or no calls. Professional refs/umps are like Weatherman. 30% correct is considered successful.

Digital_Damage
05-12-16, 15:39

You cant blame the seeding, I hear that excuse from every Caps fan. If the Caps did not lose in the 2nd round they would have ended up losing in the East final.

The facts are as I stated them in the beginning, the Caps were paper champs not built for the playoffs. The problem for them will always be Ovechkin, he is all about inflating his stats and not putting himself in position to support his team. He does the same thing in international play.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 16:00
You cant blame the seeding, I hear that excuse from every Caps fan. If the Caps did not lose in the 2nd round they would have ended up losing in the East final.

The facts are as I stated them in the beginning, the Caps were paper champs not built for the playoffs. The problem for them will always be Ovechkin, he is all about inflating his stats and not putting himself in position to support his team. He does the same thing in international play.

No way. Caps have been far and away the best team in the league since the start of the season. They have dominated just about every stat offense, defense and goaltending.

They just stopped playing hard because they had the presidents locked up. Hard to stay in that killer mentality when you have nothing to play for with 20 games left.

They just met a team who was hotter, and every game was 1 goal deicison except for the one game. VERY close. Pens speed matches up well against Caps size. Sometimes its not about the better team, its about the matchups.

Caps lost fair and square to another team. Every game was a tossup and the hockey gods could have leaned either way. Pens played harder and deserved to win.

With that being said, this game should be happening this week, not last. Both Caps and Pens got screwed. Dallas got screwed as well. Tampa got easy path to conference finals and the caps/pens beat the piss out of each other. Flordia was the paper tiger, Caps team was legit. Caps just didn't play very hard. No idea why but they didn't have that sense of urgency that a team on the brink of elimination has. That was the only reason they lost. If they played like they played the first 60 games of the season, it would have been caps in 5 or 6.

Digital_Damage
05-12-16, 16:13
No way. Caps have been far and away the best team in the league since the start of the season. They have dominated just about every stat offense, defense and goaltending.

They just stopped playing hard because they had the presidents locked up. Hard to stay in that killer mentality when you have nothing to play for with 20 games left.

They just met a team who was hotter, and every game was 1 goal deicison except for the one game. VERY close. Pens speed matches up well against Caps size. Sometimes its not about the better team, its about the matchups.

Caps lost fair and square to another team. Every game was a tossup and the hockey gods could have leaned either way. Pens played harder and deserved to win.

With that being said, this game should be happening this week, not last. Both Caps and Pens got screwed. Dallas got screwed as well. Tampa got easy path to conference finals and the caps/pens beat the piss out of each other. Flordia was the paper tiger, Caps team was legit. Caps just didn't play very hard. No idea why but they didn't have that sense of urgency that a team on the brink of elimination has. That was the only reason they lost. If they played like they played the first 60 games of the season, it would have been caps in 5 or 6.

Come one that is just nonsense, I told you exactly how this was going to play out for them. You can't look at stats and say they are the best team and claim to know the game. I told you exactly what their down fall was going to be and it had nothing to do with the seeding. In the regular season they scored early and sat in a zone inflating the goal tending numbers, as I proved last conversation they could not come from behind, box scores proved that (even though you claimed they did that all season).

The core issue is the 1st and 2nd lines were playing for stats and they had nothing in the later lines that could play defense. When they could not sit back in the zone like they did in the regular season Holtby got exposed. Everyone in the playoffs can score, you have to play defense on all the lines to grind out games.

Just look at PIT, TAM and SJ there best producing lines are not even the 1st and 2nd, they are all deep and can play defense.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 16:26
Come one that is just nonsense, I told you exactly how this was going to play out for them. You can't look at stats and say they are the best team and claim to know the game. I told you exactly what their down fall was going to be and it had nothing to do with the seeding. In the regular season they scored early and sat in a zone inflating the goal tending numbers, as I proved last conversation they could not come from behind, box scores proved that (even though you claimed they did that all season).

The core issue is the 1st and 2nd lines were playing for stats and they had nothing in the later lines that could play defense. When they could not sit back in the zone like they did in the regular season Holtby got exposed. Everyone in the playoffs can score, you have to play defense on all the lines to grind out games.

Just look at PIT, TAM and SJ there best producing lines are not even the 1st and 2nd, they are all deep and can play defense.

LOL. The caps were OUTSCORED in the 1st period in the reg season, Slightly ahead in 2nd period and DOMINATED 3rd period. Half the games they won, they were DOWN going into the 3rd. AS someone with NHL center ice who watches EVERY caps game, you are way off base.

The reason they WON as many games as they did, was due to 3rd period comebacks. Just like they did in game 6 against the Pens. If you don't get a 5 goal lead on the caps, then you need to worry becuse they only get stronger as the game goes on. EVERY damn analyst has said the exact same thing.

Not sure why you are making up fairy tales. Caps lost but they lost to the best team in the playoffs right now. They could have just as easily beat them in 5 or 6. VERY close games and the better team (NOW) who played harder, fought for possession and raced to the puck, won.

Holtby has the highest save percentage in NHL playoff history, He was also a huge reason the team was so as good as it was this year. Sitting on leads??? ROFL.

Look at these terrible stats: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/byteam?cat=teamstats&cut_type=0&sort=444&conference=NHL&year=postseason_2015

Caps leading with 1.79 GAA..... Man they really have no defense... LOL.

Here is a picture I took about a month or 2 ago last time you said they sat on early leads in the first:

RazorBurn
05-12-16, 16:29
I like the coaches challenge on scored goals. There needs to be something to offset the blantant missed calls by the linesmen because it happens wayyyy too often. If you ask me, they could expand on it a little bit, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings. It's not like they aren't already looking everything over in Toronto anyway. It should be limited to two or maybe three tops though IMHO.

VIP3R 237
05-12-16, 22:12
So how about them Sharks? That's an ugly game for Nashville.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 22:19
My finance is all bent up her fav show Nashville is being canceled. I said god must be pissed because they lost their show and their hockey season on the same night.... ROFL.

gunrunner505
05-13-16, 01:00
So how about them Sharks? That's an ugly game for Nashville.

Both game 7's were pretty poor from a competition perspective. Dallas and Nashville both left a giant turd on the ice.

The conference finals hopefully will be some great hockey.

My buddy's new girlfriend is from Pittsburgh and a big time Pens fan. He is of course a die hard Hawks fan. He finds himself in an interesting situation. I just point and laugh.

Digital_Damage
05-13-16, 08:35
LOL. The caps were OUTSCORED in the 1st period in the reg season, Slightly ahead in 2nd period and DOMINATED 3rd period. Half the games they won, they were DOWN going into the 3rd. AS someone with NHL center ice who watches EVERY caps game, you are way off base.

The reason they WON as many games as they did, was due to 3rd period comebacks. Just like they did in game 6 against the Pens. If you don't get a 5 goal lead on the caps, then you need to worry becuse they only get stronger as the game goes on. EVERY damn analyst has said the exact same thing.

Not sure why you are making up fairy tales. Caps lost but they lost to the best team in the playoffs right now. They could have just as easily beat them in 5 or 6. VERY close games and the better team (NOW) who played harder, fought for possession and raced to the puck, won.

Holtby has the highest save percentage in NHL playoff history, He was also a huge reason the team was so as good as it was this year. Sitting on leads??? ROFL.

Look at these terrible stats: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/byteam?cat=teamstats&cut_type=0&sort=444&conference=NHL&year=postseason_2015

Caps leading with 1.79 GAA..... Man they really have no defense... LOL.

Here is a picture I took about a month or 2 ago last time you said they sat on early leads in the first:

Holy homerisim... you tried this same tactic when the Playoffs started and claimed the caps would steamroll opponents.

Those statistics include games they lost.

Same thing with your claim they "ALWAYS" come from behind to win, which is simply not true. Look at their schedule and the games where they were down after the first period and won very very few.

I would be insulted if I was a Pen fan, they are not just proving they belong in the playoffs after the first two rounds. The entire last month of the regular season they were destroying teams while the Caps continued to slide.

The caps did not come back in game 6, they lost. and the only reason it was close was not because they were being awesome, it was because Pen kept punting the puck over the glass and Was kept facing 3 on 5.

And Holbty does not have the highest save percentage in playoff history... he does not even have the highest this season.

You are seriously delusional and blaming the seeding as to why the CAPs exited early AGAIN is nonsense.

The Caps did what they always do, folded in the playoffs with piss poor defense and the worst +/- in the playoffs.

Digital_Damage
05-13-16, 08:38
Both game 7's were pretty poor from a competition perspective. Dallas and Nashville both left a giant turd on the ice.

The conference finals hopefully will be some great hockey.

My buddy's new girlfriend is from Pittsburgh and a big time Pens fan. He is of course a die hard Hawks fan. He finds himself in an interesting situation. I just point and laugh.

They played out as they should have, blues were lucky to pull it together and Nash should have never made it to game 7. Still amazed that one game deciding goal was waived off.

platoonDaddy
05-13-16, 09:55
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad176/slickville/Crosby.png_zpsr1cdcfne.jpeg (http://s933.photobucket.com/user/slickville/media/Crosby.png_zpsr1cdcfne.jpeg.html)

Digital_Damage
05-13-16, 09:58
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad176/slickville/Crosby.png_zpsr1cdcfne.jpeg (http://s933.photobucket.com/user/slickville/media/Crosby.png_zpsr1cdcfne.jpeg.html)

LULz

He might get one later in his career, when he is supplanted as the team leader.

Digital_Damage
05-13-16, 10:11
"Experts" made their picks today.

In both contest they are split 50 %, and both series going 7 games. Should be fun to watch.

Previous Round picks

Pen 70% in game 6
Lightning 80% in Game 6
Blues 90% in game 6
Sharks 90% in game 7

Very surprised they were so close with the actual results in the 2nd round.

They whiffed big time with the 1st round. the notable ones being 100% Panthers, 80% Chicago, 100% Ducks, 80% Kings.

Primus Pilum
05-13-16, 10:16
Holy homerisim... you tried this same tactic when the Playoffs started and claimed the caps would steamroll opponents.

Those statistics include games they lost.

Same thing with your claim they "ALWAYS" come from behind to win, which is simply not true. Look at their schedule and the games where they were down after the first period and won very very few.

I would be insulted if I was a Pen fan, they are not just proving they belong in the playoffs after the first two rounds. The entire last month of the regular season they were destroying teams while the Caps continued to slide.

The caps did not come back in game 6, they lost. and the only reason it was close was not because they were being awesome, it was because Pen kept punting the puck over the glass and Was kept facing 3 on 5.

And Holbty does not have the highest save percentage in playoff history... he does not even have the highest this season.

You are seriously delusional and blaming the seeding as to why the CAPs exited early AGAIN is nonsense.

The Caps did what they always do, folded in the playoffs with piss poor defense and the worst +/- in the playoffs.

Really dude. Here is a link from hockey reference which shows this: http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/save_pct_career_p.html . Career playoff Save percentage and lookie who is at the top. I showed you in the last link the Caps have the lowest GAA this year by far (https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/byteam?cat=teamstats&cut_type=0&sort=444&conference=NHL&year=postseason_2015) in the playoffs.

Yet you claim they have terrible defense and +/- when they lost the series by being outscore 16-15 in 6 games. PP goals against or for are not factorted into +/-, yet a caps player or two was top 5 in +/- almost the entire regular season.

And I'm the one who is delusional?

You need to stop lying.

Digital_Damage
05-13-16, 10:29
Really dude. Here is a link from hockey reference which shows this: http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/save_pct_career_p.html . Career playoff Save percentage and lookie who is at the top. I showed you in the last link the Caps have the lowest GAA this year by far (https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/byteam?cat=teamstats&cut_type=0&sort=444&conference=NHL&year=postseason_2015) in the playoffs.

Yet you claim they have terrible defense and +/- when they lost the series by being outscore 16-15 in 6 games. PP goals against or for are not factorted into +/-, yet a caps player or two was top 5 in +/- almost the entire regular season.

And I'm the one who is delusional?

You need to stop lying.

Yes delusional... and who is lying?

Playoffs Save percentage...
1. Michal Neuvirth, PHI .981
2. Frederik Andersen, ANA .947
3. Petr Mrazek, DET .945
4. Braden Holtby, WSH .942
5. Ben Bishop, TB .938

+/- in the playoffs...
1. Tyler Johnson, TB 11
3. Alex Killorn, TB 10
4. Patrik Berglund, STL 9
5. Colin Wilson, NSH 8

the best Caps player +/-?
39. Alex Ovechkin, LW

I take exception to being called a liar, facts are facts.

The overwhelming fact is I told you what was going to happen at the beginning of the playoffs and that is exactly what happened. So take your salty homer bullshit golfing.

Whaaaa the seeding, Whaaaa the seeding.

Primus Pilum
05-13-16, 11:21
Yes delusional... and who is lying?

Playoffs Save percentage...
1. Michal Neuvirth, PHI .981
2. Frederik Andersen, ANA .947
3. Petr Mrazek, DET .945
4. Braden Holtby, WSH .942
5. Ben Bishop, TB .938

+/- in the playoffs...
1. Tyler Johnson, TB 11
3. Alex Killorn, TB 10
4. Patrik Berglund, STL 9
5. Colin Wilson, NSH 8

the best Caps player +/-?
39. Alex Ovechkin, LW

I take exception to being called a liar, facts are facts.

The overwhelming fact is I told you what was going to happen at the beginning of the playoffs and that is exactly what happened. So take your salty homer bullshit golfing.

Whaaaa the seeding, Whaaaa the seeding.

C A R E E R not single game, not single season , not single playoff (that means shit the top guy on the list played all of 2 games while Holtby has played 12)

Stop trying to twist words and the conversation to fit your narrative.

NHL & WHA Career Playoff Leaders and Records for Save Percentage

NHL Leaders
Rank Player SV%
1. Braden Holtby .9375
2. Craig Anderson .9330
3. Tim Thomas .9326
4. Jonas Hiller .9300
5. Tuukka Rask .9295
6. Olaf Kolzig .9273
7. Patrick Lalime .9264
8. Ben Bishop .9258
9. Jean-Sebastien Giguere .9253
10. Dominik Hasek* .9251
11. Jaroslav Halak .9240
12. Henrik Lundqvist .9213
13. Miikka Kiprusoff .9210
14. Jonathan Quick .9207
15. Ed Belfour* .9198
Corey Crawford .9198
17. Ron Tugnutt .9191
18. Martin Brodeur .9186
19. Dwayne Roloson .9184
20. Patrick Roy* .9183

There are your top 20 playoff in WHL/NHL history by save percentage.

So lying, being misinformed or somehwere in between. Yes.

Each team has a 1-16 chance of winning the cup. 50% of the field is eliminated from the field each round. Congrats, you predicted something that had a 94% chance of happening. Pens still have a a 75% chance of not winning the cup. Sorry if I don't pat you on the back for playing the odds and then looking for praise like your Nostradamus or something.

Since you clearly have no desire to have a civil and meaningful discussion you can go on the ignore list. All you want to do is argue and sling poop for some reason.

Eurodriver
05-13-16, 11:22
Can't we all just get along?

Primus Pilum
05-13-16, 11:27
yea man I'm done talking to him. All he does is follow me around in threads and picks arguments. I end up getting banned for responding and defending myself and he goes on without so much as a slap on the wrist.

Shoulda ignored him a long time ago.

Anyway,

Anyone else think its going to be a Sharks/Pens Final? Pens make a great appetizer for sharks!

Eurodriver
05-13-16, 11:35
Anyone else think its going to be a Sharks/Pens Final? Pens make a great appetizer for sharks!

Yeah, time to ignore you now. ;)

Pens aren't getting passed the Bolts.

I am really sad that we didn't see the Panthers vs Lightning in the playoffs. For some reason, despite having no winter and millions of residents cheering on their home teams from New York and Michigan Florida remains a powerhouse in Hockey.

Primus Pilum
05-13-16, 11:51
The Pens/TB speed matchup should be fun to watch. I think its going to be a high scoring series that goes to game 6 or 7. Pitt has enough firepower on offense to put some up against Bishop. TB hasn't really been tested by a good team yet and was able to get easy matchups in the first 2 rounds.

As a Caps fan, I would love nothing more than to see Pens get bounced in 4. As a hockey fan, I don't see it.

Still surprised Dallas got beat so handily. Really thought they were going to go deep this year.

djegators
05-13-16, 19:49
Bishop down...taken off ice in stretcher...Bolts are doomed...

Digital_Damage
05-13-16, 19:54
Bishop down...taken off ice in stretcher...Bolts are doomed...

tough loss, Boltz back up is starter quality but not top 5 quality.

Eurodriver
05-13-16, 19:58
Two guys down now.

Even if the Bolts win they won't have anyone left to play St Louis

Digital_Damage
05-13-16, 20:00
Man the boltz are facing an unbelievable amount of adversity.

djegators
05-13-16, 20:22
Bad bad bad

Digital_Damage
05-13-16, 20:49
holy shit... this is insane I'm seriously impressed with Tampa right now.

gunrunner505
05-14-16, 01:41
What are the chances Callahan gets a couple days off for boarding Latang?

djegators
05-14-16, 06:07
holy shit... this is insane I'm seriously impressed with Tampa right now.

Cooper says X-Rays and other tests on Bish are all negative, so no structural damage, whew!

Digital_Damage
05-14-16, 08:19
Cooper says X-Rays and other tests on Bish are all negative, so no structural damage, whew!

While that is good for his career that usually means a sprain. Will be more than likely out 2-3 weeks if that is the case.

Digital_Damage
05-14-16, 08:20
What are the chances Callahan gets a couple days off for boarding Latang?

Did not see the hit , I was flying. With the way people are making it sound could be another 3 game deal.

Edit just watched it, not really THAT bad. A game could be coming his way.

gunrunner505
05-14-16, 08:27
Did not see the hit , I was flying. With the way people are making it sound could be another 3 game deal.

Edit just watched it, not really THAT bad. A game could be coming his way.

I just now saw it as well. With the forearm shiver in the back of the head and all that, he might get more than 1.

Eurodriver
05-14-16, 08:31

...you were saying? :cool:

Digital_Damage
05-14-16, 08:31
I just now saw it as well. With the forearm shiver in the back of the head and all that, he might get more than 1.

It is possible, Latang did roll himself down but that is never really a consideration in these suspensions.

Digital_Damage
05-14-16, 08:33
...you were saying? :cool:

I don't think he will be saying anything.

I'll admit the Lightning showed they are legit even banged up. If they were full strength I could see them fighting for the cup.

If the Blues get some consistency I think they will be hoisting it.

Digital_Damage
05-14-16, 11:09
oh wow...

Ryan Callahan won't be suspended for hit on Kris Letang

Voodoochild
05-14-16, 11:29
oh wow...

Ryan Callahan won't be suspended for hit on Kris Letang

Complete shite..That was about as blatant a boarding as can be...

gunrunner505
05-14-16, 11:36
It is possible, Latang did roll himself down but that is never really a consideration in these suspensions.

Latang did roll up but that hit was all numbers and is just the type of hit the league is trying to get out of the game. The replay from ice level outside the glass looked a little spooky. Those guys are big and way fast.

gunrunner505
05-14-16, 11:40

I'll admit the Lightning showed they are legit even banged up. If they were full strength I could see them fighting for the cup.

The Blues just have the look. They never quit, never think they're out of it. They play whistle to whistle. As much as I hate to say it this might be their year.

Talon167
05-14-16, 11:58

I like the challenge, just don't like the whole offsides. Its such a subjective call. For goalie interference I like it, but that should be re-viewable for Toronto automatically.

They need to stop making rule change after rule change, and making the game to complicated in every sport. Less rules and less subjective calls.

You should be able to challenge penalties or no calls. Professional refs/umps are like Weatherman. 30% correct is considered successful.

That was kind of my point... I think all reviews should be made in Toronto and at the ref's discretion.

Digital_Damage
05-14-16, 12:18
Complete shite..That was about as blatant a boarding as can be...

Ya, They are claiming it is because he has no prior history and Letang returned. In reality it should be a game at MIN.

djegators
05-15-16, 06:56

Good shot for the Bolts to make it thru this series I think....that is 4 straight over Pens, just need to win 3 out of 6 now. Hopefully they can get some guys back if they make it to the finals.

.46caliber
05-15-16, 09:43
The Blues just have the look. They never quit, never think they're out of it. They play whistle to whistle. As much as I hate to say it this might be their year.

I will say this has been a real treat for those of us in the greater STL area. Hopefully they'll keep that appetite and get a bit more consistent.

Sometimes I think that hardcore Blues fans must feel the same way as hardcore Cubs fans.

Digital_Damage
05-16-16, 08:41
Looks like it will be a grinder in the West.

Bishop will be trying to come back tonight or game 3.

Statement game tonight for both Tampa and Pen.

Eurodriver
05-16-16, 10:26
#1 reason why Florida sports teams are so garbage. They never get any support, even the cities are rooting for the other guys.

Seriously, wtf? Could you imagine Elgin, IL distributing Go Bolts materials during last year's playoffs? ****ing carpetbaggers.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/sports/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2016/5/15/lightning_fans_angry.html

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/articles/bn9/2016/5/15/lightning_fans_angry/_jcr_content/contentpar/articleBody/image.img.jpg/1463346370450.jpg

djegators
05-16-16, 10:50
#1 reason why Florida sports teams are so garbage. They never get any support, even the cities are rooting for the other guys.

Seriously, wtf? Could you imagine Elgin, IL distributing Go Bolts materials during last year's playoffs? ****ing carpetbaggers.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/sports/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2016/5/15/lightning_fans_angry.html

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/articles/bn9/2016/5/15/lightning_fans_angry/_jcr_content/contentpar/articleBody/image.img.jpg/1463346370450.jpg

100% truth! As a long life FL resident and sports fan, I can attest to this. There are many many people, many of whom have lived here much longer than wherever they came from, that not support other teams, but talk down local teams and their supporters. Many of them won't even let their kids be fans of local teams.

Eurodriver
05-16-16, 11:17
100% truth! As a long life FL resident and sports fan, I can attest to this. There are many many people, many of whom have lived here much longer than wherever they came from, that not support other teams, but talk down local teams and their supporters. Many of them won't even let their kids be fans of local teams.

Oh hell yes. My buddy's family is from Boston. He was born here. Typical bullshit hard ons every game for BoSox and the Patriots.

One day I asked him, "Why don't you support the Rays? You can see Tropicana Field from your condo!"

"Because I'm from Boston."

:alcoholic:

In fact, I used to go to a barbershop in St. Petersburg that is actively trying to get the Rays out of town because they don't want to be associated with another ball team.

Mind, ****ing, blown.

Digital_Damage
05-16-16, 11:19

Their response is garbage too, what does baseball have to do with Hockey? My guess is a bunch of transplants run the office.

Eurodriver
05-16-16, 19:52
This is a great game. Can't wait to have the cup back in Tampa.

Digital_Damage
05-16-16, 22:20
What a terrible game, a really banged up team against a terrible team... Little home cooking on that last change of possession, should have been 2 minutes. Still advantage Tampa.

If Tampa gets healthy they have a chance against the west. The Pens have zero chance If that is the game they are bringing.

It might just be the Blues year.

djegators
05-17-16, 06:49
That is the Pens first win over Tampa in five games, and it took over time even with home ice and a very banged up Bolts squad. Looking forward to getting the series back down here.

RazorBurn
05-17-16, 08:13
Like how the Pens played except for the last three minutes of the first period. GO PENS!!! Tampa's goalie deserves a LOT of credit for keeping the Bolts in that game last night.

Digital_Damage
05-17-16, 08:18
Like how the Pens played except for the last three minutes of the first period. GO PENS!!! Tampa's goalie deserves a LOT of credit for keeping the Bolts in that game last night.

After they changed their lines makeup a few times they were able to stand tall. They are going to have to address the issue in net, my guess is if Tampa plays like they did in the first two against him they make the switch.

Still don't understand how they got that 3 on 1 in OT, it is like the refs just decided it was past their bed time...

djegators
05-18-16, 09:26
Bish was on the ice this morning....good sign I hope...

Eurodriver
05-18-16, 09:31
That is the Pens first win over Tampa in five games, and it took over time even with home ice and a very banged up Bolts squad. Looking forward to getting the series back down here.

Astute observation.

No way they win the series unless something significant impedes the Bolts.

gunrunner505
05-18-16, 12:09
No way they win the series unless something significant impedes the Bolts.

You got a problem Crosby.

Eurodriver
05-18-16, 13:24
I was glad he scored Monday. I bet VNasty was like damn...Welcome to the Playoffs!

gunrunner505
05-19-16, 01:18
Pretty impressive road win by the Pens tonight. Bolts better get it rolling if they hope to make a series of it.

djegators
05-19-16, 06:53
No doubt, it was the Pens night...hopefully Bolts can regroup.

Digital_Damage
05-19-16, 07:31
Pretty impressive road win by the Pens tonight. Bolts better get it rolling if they hope to make a series of it.

I just don't see them being able todo it without Bishop. They have had to run a lot of 3-5, 1-4-1 when they typically run a 4-1 in order to cover Vasilevskiy, and because of that their shots on goal have plummeted. This is the very same issue they had last season against the Hawks. Pen almost doubled up on SOG.

I also think Pen might make a switch in goal, Murray is not doing so hot.

gunrunner505
05-19-16, 08:27
Tampa is trying so hard to protect Vas that they are making mistakes. Pens are finding the open spaces and making Tampa pay the price.

There comes a point where you need to get back to defensemen being defensemen and your goalie standing up on his hind legs and making saves. Tampa is in this position. Get back to doing what got you here and expect the goalie to step up.

djegators
05-19-16, 08:32
They also miss Bishop on offense, and his ability to start plays.

RazorBurn
05-19-16, 09:19
Keep it up PENS!!! Still have to give credit to Vasilevskiy for standing on his head so far.

On the Pens side, I'd say Murray stays in net until he has a meltdown (3 or more goals). I wouldn't change goalies if I were Sullivan either. You gotta stay with what's working so far.

Digital_Damage
05-19-16, 09:27
Keep it up PENS!!! Still have to give credit to Vasilevskiy for standing on his head so far.

On the Pens side, I'd say Murray stays in net until he has a meltdown (3 or more goals). I wouldn't change goalies if I were Sullivan either. You gotta stay with what's working so far.

Ya, but it is not working. His save % is terrible for a playoff goalie. The only reason he is not being blown apart is he is only facing 20 shots a game.

If Tampa gets a healthy Bishop back I expect 4 or more goals easy.

RazorBurn
05-19-16, 11:30
Ya, but it is not working. His save % is terrible for a playoff goalie.

Please, a .928 playoff save percentage is no where close to terrible. I will agree he looked a little shaky in game two, but calling a .928 save percentage terrible is just ludicrous. So far it looks like the team defense is working to me.

Digital_Damage
05-19-16, 12:44
Please, a .928 playoff save percentage is no where close to terrible. I will agree he looked a little shaky in game two, but calling a .928 save percentage terrible is just ludicrous. So far it looks like the team defense is working to me.

For a full season .928 is acceptable, for the playoffs not even close. That percentage is worse than Elliot, and Elliot is getting blown up on some nights.

And the Pens success has nothing to do with their defense and Everything todo with Bishop being out. Tampa can't play the lines they want to because they have to cover for Vasilevskiy lots of 3-5, 1-4-1. When you play that way you have to count on the PP to get into the offensive zone.

When Tampa is able to play their normal lines, they were showing just how bad Murry is, look at periods 1-2 of game 1 and look what happened.

RazorBurn
05-19-16, 13:18
For a full season .928 is acceptable, for the playoffs not even close. That percentage is worse than Elliot, and Elliot is getting blown up on some nights.

And the Pens success has nothing to do with their defense and Everything todo with Bishop being out. Tampa can't play the lines they want to because they have to cover for Vasilevskiy lots of 3-5, 1-4-1. When you play that way you have to count on the PP to get into the offensive zone.

When Tampa is able to play their normal lines, they were showing just how bad Murry is, look at periods 1-2 of game 1 and look what happened.

Dude, your teams "normal lines" doesn't matter now, move past that. Right now who's playing is who's playing. Holtby had a .942, Andersen was a .947, and Neuvirth an insane .981. Those are stupid high numbers, especially for goalies who have been eliminated. Elliot is a whopping .929, WOW that's just .001 higher than Murray, and your boy Bishop is at a .939 which I would agree is a great percentage. You need to take off your team beer goggles, take your hatred out of it, and call a spade a spade.

A .928 save percentage is a good solid save percentage anytime of the year. I would agree that anything over .930 is exceptional. Look at your boy Vasilevskiy, he has a .935 and has been a stud. He's still down two games to one. Nothing wrong with how he's played, he's been a true bright spot for your team. If Tampa's covering so well for Vasilevskiy, then why in the hell is he facing 48 shots in a game? That's all on team defense. It is what it is.

If it weren't for the Haglin, Kessel, Bonino line we wouldn't have made it past the second round for sure. But with all the focus on the Crosby and Malkin lines, it opens it up for the third line to make hay. It reminds me of the success the Pens had with the line of Staal, Kennedy and Cooke line in 2008 & 2009. That line tore it up as well, and helped the Pens because of the focus on the top two lines.

Digital_Damage
05-19-16, 14:09
Dude, your teams "normal lines" doesn't matter now, move past that. Right now who's playing is who's playing. Holtby had a .942, Andersen was a .947, and Neuvirth an insane .981. Those are stupid high numbers, especially for goalies who have been eliminated. Elliot is a whopping .929, WOW that's just .001 higher than Murray, and your boy Bishop is at a .939 which I would agree is a great percentage. You need to take off your team beer goggles, take your hatred out of it, and call a spade a spade.

A .928 save percentage is a good solid save percentage anytime of the year. I would agree that anything over .930 is exceptional. Look at your boy Vasilevskiy, he has a .935 and has been a stud. He's still down two games to one. Nothing wrong with how he's played, he's been a true bright spot for your team. If Tampa's covering so well for Vasilevskiy, then why in the hell is he facing 48 shots in a game? That's all on team defense. It is what it is.

If it weren't for the Haglin, Kessel, Bonino line we wouldn't have made it past the second round for sure. But with all the focus on the Crosby and Malkin lines, it opens it up for the third line to make hay. It reminds me of the success the Pens had with the line of Staal, Kennedy and Cooke line in 2008 & 2009. That line tore it up as well, and helped the Pens because of the focus on the top two lines.

Not sure why you are calling them "my team", they are not my team. The west will win the cup again this year...

Elliot is being used as an example, because Elliot is terrible right now too. Murry is right now 7th for starters in the playoffs(I say start because that is what he has been in the playoffs)... that is bad. 6 other goalies in a small playoff field have out performed him and that is with him only facing 20 SOG a game over the last three games.

I would not say Vasilevskiy is awesome either, the way Tampa is placing extra defenders on the ice to cover for him is proof of that. The reason he is facing 48 shots is because Tampa is playing defensive instead of their typical 4 forwards. Pens are spending a far larger percentage of time in the Offensive zone than Tampa is. That is the exact same scheme Washington played (in the regular season too) and look where it got them. (also the reason Holbty had an inflated save%)

I agree the Pens Depth has been a boon for them this playoffs, something Washington, NY and DET did not have. I would say Tampa is deeper in offense, but they cant leverage that when they are putting extra defenders on the ice trying to eat up lanes instead of pressing into the zone.

If anyone needs to take off the homer goggles it is you, Because I have no love for Tampa, but I have been impressed with their resilency through the playoffs because they have been getting devastated with injuries.

You were quite meek and more level headed earlier when it looked like Tampa was going to destroy Pen, now that they have gone a game up everyone on the roster is now awesome...

Digital_Damage
05-19-16, 22:44
sharks are on a roll,

Bishop will be out for game 4... dude is made of glass when the playoffs roll around. That makes 5 years in a row he ended the season with an injury. That could be it for Tampa.

VIP3R 237
05-19-16, 22:55
Back to back shutout wins for the Sharks. I love it!

RazorBurn
05-19-16, 23:07
Wow are the Sharks dominating or what? I thought the Blues would put up more of a fight, especially after getting trounced in game two.

Eurodriver
05-20-16, 20:54
I can't tell if the Penguins suck today, or the Lightning are just doing better because they don't have six guys goaltending.

Digital_Damage
05-20-16, 21:59
I can't tell if the Penguins suck today, or the Lightning are just doing better because they don't have six guys goaltending.

The went back to their original lines the first two periods. Started playing protective in the third, then went "ohhh shit we might lose going up 4".

Went back to their original lines and put up 4 on Murray (uncanny prediction on my part). .867 SAV, that could drop him below .900 for the playoffs.

I think it is over for him this playoffs, Fleury will be in net the rest of the way.

Game 5 is going to be Brutal!

VIP3R 237
05-21-16, 20:36
I think the Sharks forgot how to play tonight.

gunrunner505
05-21-16, 21:31
I think the Sharks forgot how to play tonight.

San Jose sucked out loud. I thought STL had run out of magic after how they looked in games 2 and 3 but they looked like the Blues of the first 2 rounds tonight. Puck hawks, tight D. They looked good. We got a series now.

Digital_Damage
05-21-16, 22:06
San Jose sucked out loud. I thought STL had run out of magic after how they looked in games 2 and 3 but they looked like the Blues of the first 2 rounds tonight. Puck hawks, tight D. They looked good. We got a series now.

Change in Net will do that, they went with Allen. Elliot just could not put it together.

Digital_Damage
05-21-16, 22:18
Watched the all access special on showtime with behind the scene stuff for the Conf finals.

One thing I noticed is, I highly doubt Bishop makes it back during the playoffs. The news of him "skating" was literally him getting on the ice taking a lap and exiting the ice after stating it hurt too much. Stamkos was also on the ice and he did not seem impressed with Bishop's effort.

gunrunner505
05-22-16, 17:53
I think Bishop is done for the year. Stamkos I don't know if he'll be back before it's all over, however far Tampa gets.

Trevor Daley is done with a broken ankle. Injuries are piling up, guys are wearing down.

Digital_Damage
05-22-16, 21:46
terrible THRID PERIOD in that game. I'm all for letting them play, but Jesus this is the worst officiated third period I have ever seen!

How do you not call a penalty on a guy tackling another guy from behind LMAO.

Digital_Damage
05-22-16, 22:12
Simply just not enough can be said about the Guts Tamp has shown during the entire playoffs. Just incredible.

Eurodriver
05-22-16, 22:29
https://twitter.com/NHLonNBCSports/status/734567404970377217

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjG1KOiWsAEq_Oi.jpg

LOL

RazorBurn
05-22-16, 22:41
Looks like the Pens are done IMHO. The Bolts have hands down won the goalie matchup. No way you can give up 3 plus goals consistently in the playoffs and expect to win, and I don't see that changing now. These last two losses were daggers. I only got to watch the entire third period. The Pens were totally outplayed in the last 9 or so minutes of the third. Once Tampa tied it I knew it was over. I hope the Pens prove me wrong, but I don't see it happening. Still a good year for the Pens as I didn't even think they'd make the playoffs, especially while Johnston was coaching.

Digital, you're right, that was the worst officiated period of hockey I've ever watched.

djegators
05-23-16, 08:11
The way the season played out, never expected the Bolts to go deep into the payoffs, but now that they are here and winning on the road without Bish, well, like the chances to advance.

Voodoochild
05-23-16, 08:12
Whelp looks like my beloved Pens are tanking. You can't give up that many goals and expect to win the series. The bolts are on fire and doesn't look like they are going to be slowing down anytime soon. Pens have looked good one game and terrible the next. We are getting out played, out passed, and out scored. Our passes look half ass and playing hot potato goalie wise isnt helping out any.

I hope the Pens can pull it together and win out but they have a monumental task ahead of them.

Digital_Damage
05-23-16, 08:18
Whelp looks like my beloved Pens are tanking. You can't give up that many goals and expect to win the series. The bolts are on fire and doesn't look like they are going to be slowing down anytime soon. Pens have looked good one game and terrible the next. We are getting out played, out passed, and out scored. Our passes look half ass and playing hot potato goalie wise isnt helping out any.

I hope the Pens can pull it together and win out but they have a monumental task ahead of them.

The parallels between game 4 and 5 are intriguing, Lightning jump out to an early leed and just hang on, Pens jump out to an early leed and collapse.

I don't think it matters who is in net, Murray and MAF both are substandard playoff goalies. The real problem is letang is ALWAYS getting drawn out of position on D. 2 out of the 4 goals were in his zone after he got drawn to the other circle.

djegators
05-23-16, 10:02
The way this series has been going, not sure it would have been much of a matchup if Bish hadn't gone down

Digital_Damage
05-23-16, 10:21
The way this series has been going, not sure it would have been much of a matchup if Bish hadn't gone down

With him I would favor a guess of Tampa in 5 at this point.

The loss being Game 3.

With that said Tampa does not have this locked up, They have to show more urgency in game 6 or I suspect they lose game 6 and 7.

I also predict Stamkos will not be resigned, they just are not missing him that much and he has declined. Then need to lock up Kucherov, his contract is due too..

Bishop will also not be resigned after the 2016-2017 season when his contract is up, he is just too injury prone.

Digital_Damage
05-24-16, 12:27
Pen getting desperate going back to Murray. Going to be tough for him, Tampa is now only short one forward and Vasilevskiy has proven he can hold it together long enough for Tampa to press the zone.

It will come down to if Tampa attacks quickly, if they do this series is over.

If Pen can drag it to the third I give them a 60% chance of pushing it to game 7, which is good since they are fighting a historical 78% they will lose.

Digital_Damage
05-24-16, 20:01
Some grotesque officiating tonight.

Delay of game I get, but that Interference call was asinine.

3-5 geez.

Digital_Damage
05-24-16, 21:34
just too much inconstancy in the officiating for the Tampa/Pen series.

Lots of late hits uncalled, and a slash that should have been a major.

Not quite as bad as 3rd period game 5, but this is bad.

RazorBurn
05-25-16, 08:32
Go Pens!!! The deeper these playoffs have gone, the more the teams left in it look like Jekyl and Hyde. One game great, and the next game not so great. I have to give it to Tampa's young goalie, he's done his job to try to keep them in every game. The score didn't really reflect on how well the Bolts were taking it to the Pens in the third though. I hate it when the Pens go into that shell of a "prevent defense" to protect a lead. Put the hammer down and keep playing hockey in the opponents end and good things will happen. Which they finally did when Rust scored to make it 4-2.

Digital_Damage
05-25-16, 09:20
Go Pens!!! The deeper these playoffs have gone, the more the teams left in it look like Jekyl and Hyde. One game great, and the next game not so great. I have to give it to Tampa's young goalie, he's done his job to try to keep them in every game. The score didn't really reflect on how well the Bolts were taking it to the Pens in the third though. I hate it when the Pens go into that shell of a "prevent defense" to protect a lead. Put the hammer down and keep playing hockey in the opponents end and good things will happen. Which they finally did when Rust scored to make it 4-2.

The Pens coach is running an antiquated neutral zone trap in the third. I guess he did not get the memo it has been figured out, that is why most have switched to a third man high.

djegators
05-25-16, 10:05
Disappointing game 6 for Bolts, but they have proven they can win big games on the road....should be one heck of a game, I expect both teams to leave it all out on the ice.

VIP3R 237
05-25-16, 22:54
Sharks Sharks Sharks Sharks!!!!!!

gunrunner505
05-26-16, 00:20
Convincing win for San Jose. Going to be a lot of miles put on the team jets this year.

Digital_Damage
05-26-16, 07:40
Good for the sharks, it has been a long time coming for some of them.

Digital_Damage
05-26-16, 18:50
Had a tamp fan point this out to me

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/145577226-story

Seems derpy to me the NHL would pull that.

Talon167
05-26-16, 19:34
Convincing win for San Jose. Going to be a lot of miles put on the team jets this year.

I remember thinknig the same thing during the Boston/Vancouver Cup finals. That's gotta be a solid four+ hour flight. And it went seven games. :D

djegators
05-26-16, 20:10
Stamkos playing tonight, hmmm.....

djegators
05-26-16, 20:11
Had a tamp fan point this out to me

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/145577226-story

Seems derpy to me the NHL would pull that.

Serious bullshit.

Digital_Damage
05-26-16, 21:58
Tampa deserved to lose that game, that was the worst must win game plan I have ever seen...

Tampa will need to seriously consider their options at coaching after that. He literally drove his best players into the ground with those obscenely long toi shifts for his stars. They were never able to gain momentum and get shots on goal because they were simply exhausted, 17 SOG? LOL WTF HAHAHAHA.

My offseason predictions for them is they let Stamkos walk and try to work a trade with Bishop. Stamkos is not that big of an upgrade from what they have under contract and Bishop just can't be counted on in the playoffs.

Voodoochild
05-26-16, 21:58
LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!! LET'S GO PENS!!!!! Damn what a game....

Digital_Damage
05-26-16, 22:03

lol, that was a terrible game. Despite what the score said Pen was in control the whole time.

VIP3R 237
05-26-16, 22:09
Sharks in 6!

RazorBurn
05-26-16, 22:12

GO PENS GO!!!

Eurodriver
05-26-16, 22:24
Does anyone here live in Pittsburgh or that general area of PA?

Just wondering.

nof555
05-27-16, 01:49

Just wondering.

I grew up there, and go there several times a year. Going up there next weekend for a wedding actually.

And.... let's go pens! I've been on second shift so I haven't been able to watch any of the series. So frustrating. Thankfully I'll be able to watch the next series, the one that matters.

platoonDaddy
05-27-16, 04:19
Grew up in Slickville!

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad176/slickville/Pens_zpsikuca36m.jpg (http://s933.photobucket.com/user/slickville/media/Pens_zpsikuca36m.jpg.html)

gunrunner505
05-27-16, 07:37
lol, that was a terrible game. Despite what the score said Pen was in control the whole time.

Very true. Tampa generated next to no offense. They got outshot 39 to 17. The only guy that kept it that close was Vas. Could have easily been one of those 6 to 1 blowouts. You can't win a game when you're offensive production is 1 shot and now we're back on D. You need those second and third opportunities.

So congrats to both San Jose and Pit. Good luck in the finals.

masan
05-27-16, 10:48

Just wondering.

I live about an hour outside of Pit

Digital_Damage
05-30-16, 18:54
here we go game 1!

My prediction... SJ in 6.

Win tonight by 2.

"experts" predict SJ 70% game 6.

VIP3R 237
05-30-16, 20:04
here we go game 1!

My prediction... SJ in 6.

Win tonight by 2.

"experts" predict SJ 70% game 6.

Sharks are doing exactly what I thought they'd do, they're still in awe and the pressure is on so I expected an ugly game from them. I think they'll still win it in 6 though.

platoonDaddy
05-31-16, 05:34
41 shots, speed & more speed.

Digital_Damage
05-31-16, 07:44
PIT hanging on by their finger nails, I don't see how they will be able to keep that tempo up all series.

Some lazy puck handling by SJ, they will need to clean that up to make this a series.