PDA

View Full Version : Decided on a Glock 21...

Slater
08-23-08, 11:55
Our anniversary is coming up so the wife settled on a new ring and I started looking at a new handgun. After examining several, I put a Glock 21 on layaway. I actually like the way the fat grip fit my hand and it's a pretty accurate weapon. This particular one will probably spend it's life as a range toy (100-200 rounds fired, then carefully cleaned and put away).

I looked at two versions - the regular one with Glock rail and standard mag release and the "SF" variant with Pic rail and ambi mag release. I picked the standard version as I couldn't really tell much of a difference between the two and it was a bit cheaper.

I'm aware of all the prior issues the G-21 has had with regards to broken extractors, light strikes, etc. Hopefully these have been addressed by now in the third generation (mine is S/N LGFxxx, manufactured in 2007). Mine certainly won't see any hard use as opposed to many others out there.

Hopefully I won't be disappointed ;)

M4arc
08-23-08, 12:08
It will be fine man and that's great that it fits your hand. You must have huge paws then. Any way, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it when you bring it home.

There's just something about 13 rounds of 230gr 45 ACP that makes me all tingle all over :D

MisterWilson
08-23-08, 12:22
Yup. It just SCREAMS "house gun".

WRAM1
08-24-08, 08:07
I've carried a Glock 21 as my duty wepon for the past five years and owned the same for the past 15 yrs. The only problem encountered was a chipped extractor which was replaced without a problem. I also replaced the firing pin with a Lightning Strike titanium firimg pin just after I purchased the pistol. Ishoot on a regular basis, with my department and on my own time and I have to say I have never had a problem with my 21 doing what it was supposed todo, even with the chipped extractor. I like the way the pistol feels in my hand a I feel the fat grip helps during times of stress when the fine motor skills begin to diminish.

JonInWA
08-24-08, 08:52
I've had my G21 for several years, and used it regularly for carry, IDPA and GSSF. It's a "big butt" Gen 3, and I've literally had 1 problem; a failure to feed with a WWB round that upon examination was grossly out of spec-probably at least .46!

The extractor problem was fixed many years ago, and the light strike issue, such as it was, was rectified with a revised triggerbar several years ago also. Your gun should be just fine.

I have nothing against the SF varient, but I also find that the larger butt helps me "steer" the gun a bit better.

Best, Jon

DarkX
08-26-08, 19:12
Carried the 21 for a while in a dropleg rig....loved it.

Solid weapon, all Glock...sold it to fund another project...should not have.

Congrats!

POF.Ops
08-29-08, 01:21
I'm sorry. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, congrats!

Craft714
08-29-08, 04:28
I've carried a Glock 21 as my duty wepon for the past five years and owned the same for the past 15 yrs. The only problem encountered was a chipped extractor which was replaced without a problem. I also replaced the firing pin with a Lightning Strike titanium firimg pin just after I purchased the pistol. Ishoot on a regular basis, with my department and on my own time and I have to say I have never had a problem with my 21 doing what it was supposed todo, even with the chipped extractor. I like the way the pistol feels in my hand a I feel the fat grip helps during times of stress when the fine motor skills begin to diminish.

Same here! I keep an extra in my locker and in my gun box.

scottp999
08-29-08, 08:48
Have owned a Gen2 G21 since 1992. Has been flawless. Picked up a little brother (G30) for it early this year. :D

ToddG
08-29-08, 08:54
Have owned a Gen2 G21 since 1992. Has been flawless. Picked up a little brother (G30) for it early this year. :D

Not picking on you in particular, but just a thought for folks in general:

How long you've owned a gun is not much of an indicator of its reliability. Have you put 1,000 rounds a year through it, or 10,000 or just 50?

I shoot 50,000 rounds a year and I've got a BHP I've owned for about a decade. But I haven't put 500,000 rounds through that BHP. I doubt there are 2,000 rounds through it, and half of that has probably been Sim/FX.

My father has owned an Apple ][+ since 1979 and it's been "flawless," too. It just hasn't been turned on in the past 25 years. :D

f.2
08-29-08, 09:27
So people who maintain a low round count should have the pick of the litter with regards to firearms purchases. They don't bother me one bit though. Every purchase supports the 2A and I say good on ya.

Slater
08-29-08, 09:47
I really don't know anyone personally who puts an extreme number of rounds through their guns, although I wish I had the ammo budget to do so.

I would hazard a guess that many casual shooters may go to the range once a month or so, fire a box or two of ammo (maybe more, depending), and then go home.

ToddG
08-29-08, 15:49
So people who maintain a low round count should have the pick of the litter with regards to firearms purchases.

In a very real sense, that's true. I'm picking up my new Ruger LCP tomorrow. Do I expect it to be a 10,000-round gun? No. It'll get a couple hundred rounds of Gold Dot through it for function testing, another 300 or so rounds of ammo through it to prove that it works, and then odds are I'll shoot a box of ammo per month through it on average. If I demanded the pocket backup to be as durable as my primary, I'd pretty much have to carry another primary.

WRAM1
08-30-08, 16:20
I do believe that round count matters. I don't have the mega round count through mine, especially considering the pistol's age but I have at least 12,000 rds through it. Nothing beats the test of time. Now, if Glock will only make a long slide version of the 21...

Stickman
09-03-08, 16:31
Not picking on you in particular, but just a thought for folks in general:

How long you've owned a gun is not much of an indicator of its reliability. Have you put 1,000 rounds a year through it, or 10,000 or just 50?

I'm at 98k through my G21. I'll agree that its rounds through a weapon, not total time sitting in a drawer that establishes reliability.