PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning question with Hoppes #9

captdreifus
04-11-16, 19:42
I'm not sure if this the right area to post this question. I've read threads that hoppes #9 bore solvent can damage anodized aluminum, chrome lining etc.. I've used hoppes 9 on a rag or patch to clean out fouling on my lowers. Will this cause damage? Or is this internet folklore? I do re lube the trigger and hammer springs after using the solvent with CLP, but I don't wipe down the internals (aluminum) of the lower.

Every thread I've read here does not have a clear and definite answer.
Thanks for helping me clarify.

CD

HKGuns
04-11-16, 19:48
I use Hoppes #9 on all of my barrels and it harms nothing that I can see or tell for many years. I've never used it on anything aluminum before just steel, so I don't know about that aspect.

Others who know the chemistry and chemical make-up better than I do may chime in with more definitive answers than my own personal experience.

Zirk208
04-11-16, 20:45
Never heard of it damaging aluminium or steel. Whoops. Can't undo the last 10 years. Meh.

quackhead
04-12-16, 00:17
I've used it fir the past 20 plus years with no issues

lysander
04-12-16, 06:08
Regular Hoppes #9? There is nothing in it that is damaging to aluminum.

Some of the copper dissolving solution may be damaging, I don't know about them, as their formulas are secret.

MegademiC
04-12-16, 08:24
Ammonia is found in hoppes9.
Ammonia will oxidize aluminum.
Anodized aluminum is already oxidized so don't worry about it.
You'd have to soak aluminum for a long time in hoppes to oxidize it.

Chrome will not react.
Nickel will stain from ammonia.

I've found mpro7 to be a superior cleaner than hoppes9.

Hope this helps.

ABNAK
04-12-16, 10:01
Ammonia is found in hoppes9.
Ammonia will oxidize aluminum.
Anodized aluminum is already oxidized so don't worry about it.
You'd have to soak aluminum for a long time in hoppes to oxidize it.

Chrome will not react.
Nickel will stain from ammonia.

I've found mpro7 to be a superior cleaner than hoppes9.

Hope this helps.

Yeah but I've heard it is rather low in ammonia as compared to other bore solvents, therefore is okay to use on chrome lined barrels.

MegademiC
04-12-16, 12:44
Yeah but I've heard it is rather low in ammonia as compared to other bore solvents, therefore is okay to use on chrome lined barrels.

Yes, hence my last statement in the 1st "paragraph". I don't think ammonia reacts with chrome at all. It will stain nickel.

At the end of the day, hoppes will not do anything to your ar clone. Maybe if you soaked it in it for days, but probably not .

I think the worry comes from people getting mirror nickel plating on their 1911s (and calling it "chromed") with copper underplate (how you get mirror finish), and using hoppes. Ammonia eats copper. Nothing you have at your house will touch chrome lining. If it does, get rid of it.

Even decorative chrome is copper, nickel, then chrome, and if ammonia gets down to the copper, it will destroy the plating from underneath.

Chrome lined barrels are industrial chrome, for which there is no underplate.