PDA

View Full Version : Can't seem to master the Glock trigger

Jesse H
04-12-16, 13:04
I was shooting XD's for close to 15 years before I became a cop and was issued a Glock. After a slight learning curve with the grip angle and figuring out that I prefer the Glock's faster reset and less over travel I thought I was fine.

So I've been now shooting the Glock platform for a decade and I've never had issues passing patrol or SWAT quals; still don't. Lately I've been going back to basics and can't seem to get my groups centered. I can pass the 10-10-10 drill with just a hair under 10 seconds, my groups are always left of center.

For a while I thought I was going crazy so I brought out an XD9, CZ75 and Ruger 22/45; I'm centered. Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks are just left of center. I'm trying more trigger finger to the point I'm on the first crease with no effect on moving POI to the center. With or without gloves I shoot the same. I dry fire plenty, try to get plenty of range time on my own and I think I'm at the point where I'm failing to figure out what's going on so more range time is just repetition of my errors.

PD's firearm instructor (also SWAT team member) suggested more trigger finger. That didn't work and he suggested stronger support grip. That's not working either. I thought I was lining up my sights incorrectly but I'm not having this issue with other platforms.

Rattlehead
04-12-16, 13:33
Just remember smooth and straight back pull. Have you tried using a laser to watch where the dot moves on target when the shot breaks under dry fire?

Also depending on how heavy of a trigger you have (if you're running a stock connector that isn't broken in/polished out) you may find that when the shot breaks the muzzle end may be moving.

mark7
04-12-16, 14:05
I would suggest grabbing a smart phone, installing the coach's eye app, have a friend video you firing at least five rounds and then have a look at the video. Zooming in on your grip and seeing exactly what the gun is doing before, doing and after firing is priceless. Using coach's eye will allow you or an instructor to see things the eye can't.

Since being introduced to the Coach's Eye app by John "Shrek" McPhee a couple years ago, I find the app invaluable as a learning tool for students. Some people can't wrap their head around something unless their brain can see it.

You can also have an analysis of your video done by Shrek at gunfigherU for a fee.

HeruMew
04-12-16, 14:43
I would suggest grabbing a smart phone, installing the coach's eye app, have a friend video you firing at least five rounds and then have a look at the video. Zooming in on your grip and seeing exactly what the gun is doing before, doing and after firing is priceless. Using coach's eye will allow you or an instructor to see things the eye can't.

Since being introduced to the Coach's Eye app by John "Shrek" McPhee a couple years ago, I find the app invaluable as a learning tool for students. Some people can't wrap their head around something unless their brain can see it.

You can also have an analysis of your video done by Shrek at gunfigherU for a fee.

I had no idea. +1 Mark for that great trick/tip.

Thanks OP for throwing out such a great question.

A big thanks to the contributing members, such as Mark and Rattle.

I will be watching this thread for more advice, for my evolution into my Glock 26, that's for sure.

Coal Dragger
04-12-16, 15:12
I know this will be an un popular suggestion since everyone seems to think you always need to modify your self and not the gun: I suggest you get a sight pusher and drift the rear sight.

Stop ****ing around with all the other nonsense if you are shooting your other handguns just fine. If your grip on the Glock is giving you good control, and you're shooting acceptable groups but they are not centered a sight adjustment is in order. I don't know why this concept is so foreign to so may.

Drift your rear sight to the right until your groups are centered. Then test at longer distances in slow fire to verify correct windage adjustment.

You never hear anyone suggest modifying your shooting position with a rifle that is otherwise grouping well, you adjust the damn sights. So try to adjust your pistol sights. It's not particularly difficult.

samuse
04-12-16, 15:37
It's either that gun shoots left (sometimes Glocks really DO).

Or.

Your trigger finger is just axleing the frame and pushing all your shots left. This happens to me if I don't pay attention or shoot Glocks regularly.

My fix? Shoot a Sig.

P2000
04-12-16, 15:42
I learned a lot by shooting magazines mixed with one inert round and the rest live rounds while at the range. That plus dry firing in between magazines was helpful for me.

Doc Safari
04-12-16, 16:15
I learned to treat a Glock trigger like a two-stage trigger. Pull the trigger through the take-up until it starts to "stack". (You will eventually be able to tell when it's going to "break.") Then re-align your sights one more time and pull the trigger the rest of the way until it goes bang. My accuracy vastly improved when I did this.

mark7
04-12-16, 16:33
I had no idea. +1 Mark for that great trick/tip.

Thanks OP for throwing out such a great question.

A big thanks to the contributing members, such as Mark and Rattle.

I will be watching this thread for more advice, for my evolution into my Glock 26, that's for sure.

A quick search of youtube reveal one of McPhee's diagnosis vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDI0i09ii1Y&nohtml5=False

friendlyfireisnt
04-12-16, 19:37
I know this will be an un popular suggestion since everyone seems to think you always need to modify your self and not the gun: I suggest you get a sight pusher and drift the rear sight.

Stop ****ing around with all the other nonsense if you are shooting your other handguns just fine. If your grip on the Glock is giving you good control, and you're shooting acceptable groups but they are not centered a sight adjustment is in order. I don't know why this concept is so foreign to so may.

Drift your rear sight to the right until your groups are centered. Then test at longer distances in slow fire to verify correct windage adjustment.

You never hear anyone suggest modifying your shooting position with a rifle that is otherwise grouping well, you adjust the damn sights. So try to adjust your pistol sights. It's not particularly difficult.

I actually agree a bit. It's one thing to fix some fundamental issues that are causing inconsistent results. It's another thing to fight yourself to try to center the grouping. Now, if there was inconsistent groups, or if it was a major shift, that would be the time to work on technique.

I have a very slight drift on both my G19 sights, a nearly imperceptible amount, but that's all it took. I tried all the recommended techniques, but prior to drifting the sights, they both shot just a hair left no matter what I did. Now they hit consistent POA/POI @ 15 yards with my preferred defensive ammo.

Cagemonkey
04-12-16, 19:48
Try shooting it left handed to see where it shoots, to confirm before drifting the rear sight.

MegademiC
04-12-16, 20:28
Op, are those groups as accurate as you can shoot with no time constraints?

Or were those shot under time or at a cadence?

Groups look pretty good. Based just off those, I'd say use less finger, drift the sights and work on dry fire with less finger.

When you dry fire, how does the sight move? Do you dry fire smashing the trigger? How do your fast fire groups look? Are they centered the same and opened up or more left?

patriot_man
04-13-16, 03:10
I think the best advice I've been given was to think of a slow rolling press like a revolver.

Here's a discussion on PF about it https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4942-Glock-shooting-rolling-the-trigger

donlapalma
04-13-16, 09:47
Try shooting it left handed to see where it shoots, to confirm before drifting the rear sight.

Also, you could have a friend/colleague with similar (or better) skill shoot some groups for comparison.

okie john
04-13-16, 12:00

This.

If you were shooting 8" groups at 20 yards, then yeah, look at technique. But your groups are small enough that this is probably not a technique issue. Bump your sights over and keep on rocking.

Okie John

jmoore
04-13-16, 12:26
Yep - you are me! Deja vu all over again:)

Went through all of this. Got to the point where - with extreme concentration and focus - I "can" have POA = POI. However - I should NOT have to fight the gun. Personally - I don't think it is strictly a shooter OR a gun problem. Instead - for SOME people - the shape of a Glock grip in THEIR hand creates the problem. Take a look at the groups of some well known pistoleros (the last I saw was some guy with the initials LAV?) - and they tend to drift left!

My personal solution? Am currently vetting out a Sig p320. Though stiker fired, there is something about the grip shape and geometry that puts POA at POI just as easily as on any of my 1911s or other pistols.

YMMV

john

SW CQB 45
04-13-16, 19:41
There is a video of Larry Vickers shooting a Glock with Dave Harrington shooting a Beretta with Ken Hackathorn officiating. Larry shot left of center on "The Test" and Ken told him to tweak the rear sight to the right.

advance to 4:30 on the video

http://rifleshooter.com/2015/09/best-pistol-drill-ever-shooting-larry-vickers-the-test/

jmoore
04-13-16, 20:13
>>... and Ken told him to tweak the rear sight to the right.<<

And that brings up the only thing that I admit to being obsessive about:). For me - a centered sight may be off in height, but EVERY other gun I have shoots windage to center with a CENTERED rear sight. I refuse to drift the sight (I know, I know:). WHAT is it about just Glocks? Open to ideas.

John

Guitarman
04-13-16, 21:32
I've got to reiterate drifting your rear sight right. I was in the same boat, my Beretta Elite II 96G was always dead on. My Glock 27? Dead on. My duty Glock 22? Freaking straight left no matter what I did. I fought it for three years. Finally, I told the armorer to humor me and push the damn rear sight right...it's shot dead on for three years now.

The rear sight not being centered used to bug me a little, but not as much as missing left and potentially getting myself or someone else hurt by not being confident in my weapon.

MegademiC
04-13-16, 21:33

And that brings up the only thing that I admit to being obsessive about:). For me - a centered sight may be off in height, but EVERY other gun I have shoots windage to center with a CENTERED rear sight. I refuse to drift the sight (I know, I know:). WHAT is it about just Glocks? Open to ideas.

John

I'd guess grip and trigger. It's all about consistency. If 100% of shots go left, adjust sight, root cause is irrelevant if your shooting well imo. If half are left and half are right, practice more, but this doesn't seem to be the case with OP.

Tequila45
04-13-16, 22:06
Drifting the sights seems like an easy fix but I tend to shoot left as well with glocks. When I focus and really concentrate on moving my finger straight back, that is just moving the middle knuckle I shoot dead center. I also have to grip the gun a little harder than my m&p's, but it centers my group. This video explains it best. Starts at 14:00

http://youtu.be/Zi5eZqc9H7I

Coal Dragger
04-13-16, 23:56

John

The idea is that you stop worrying about stupid shit, and adjust your rear sight. Even Olympic grade target pistols (yes I have a lot of experience with these) have to have their sights adjusted.

Every barrel is a law unto itself, not only on what it will shoot best with but also where it will shoot in relation to the rest of the weapon. It is not unusual for different loads to not only print to different elevation but to also shoot to different windage. Why do you think adjustable sights are so popular with many serious shooters? Fact is it's more uncommon to find a pistol that shoots exactly to the sights than it is to have some variance. That's why Glock cleverly put the rear sight in a dovetail, so it can be user adjusted to regulate the sights.

skylineracer329
04-14-16, 02:57
Going to have to parrot the others who recommend sight adjustment.

Seems silly to suggest changing grip, trigger finger placement etc. when every other pistol he fires is fine. His fundamentals are obviously fine. Fix the sights and be done with it. Especially being a department issued firearm, you don't know how it's been stored, handled or whether or not the previous user messed with the sights.

T2C
04-14-16, 03:27
There is a video of Larry Vickers shooting a Glock with Dave Harrington shooting a Beretta with Ken Hackathorn officiating. Larry shot left of center on "The Test" and Ken told him to tweak the rear sight to the right.

advance to 4:30 on the video

http://rifleshooter.com/2015/09/best-pistol-drill-ever-shooting-larry-vickers-the-test/

This is not unusual. The rear sight on most of my Glocks is 0.015" to 0.020" right of center.

T2C
04-14-16, 04:17
I was shooting XD's for close to 15 years before I became a cop and was issued a Glock. After a slight learning curve with the grip angle and figuring out that I prefer the Glock's faster reset and less over travel I thought I was fine.

So I've been now shooting the Glock platform for a decade and I've never had issues passing patrol or SWAT quals; still don't. Lately I've been going back to basics and can't seem to get my groups centered. I can pass the 10-10-10 drill with just a hair under 10 seconds, my groups are always left of center.

For a while I thought I was going crazy so I brought out an XD9, CZ75 and Ruger 22/45; I'm centered. Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks are just left of center. I'm trying more trigger finger to the point I'm on the first crease with no effect on moving POI to the center. With or without gloves I shoot the same. I dry fire plenty, try to get plenty of range time on my own and I think I'm at the point where I'm failing to figure out what's going on so more range time is just repetition of my errors.

PD's firearm instructor (also SWAT team member) suggested more trigger finger. That didn't work and he suggested stronger support grip. That's not working either. I thought I was lining up my sights incorrectly but I'm not having this issue with other platforms.

If your targets were fired while performing the Larry Vickers Drill, move the rear sight to the right. If they were fired during slow fire, there are a few things you may want to try.

1) When you grip the pistol, make sure the drum sticks on the thumbs are touching. Overgripping the pistol with the support hand can cause the shots to go left for a right handed shooter. Most of the pressure applied to the grips with the hands should be on the front strap and back strap. If the muzzle is moving up and down through the center axis of the target, grip pressure is good. If the muzzle moves in a circular motion, adjust your grip and focus on forward and backward pressure.

2) For most people the part of the trigger finger past the distal joint should be at a 90 degree angle with the barrel/slide assembly when the trigger is pressed to the rear. If you have long fingers, you may have to move your trigger finger farther in. I've also seen right handed students push their shots to the left by placing too much finger on the trigger, so try using less trigger finger than you did on target # 1.

3) You should not feel any change in grip pressure when pressing the trigger to the rear. Grip pressure and trigger manipulation are two separate mental and physical acts.

Dime drills help a great deal to sort out grip and trigger index issues.

Phillygunguy
04-14-16, 07:17
The glock trigger has always been a P.I.T.A for me to master and once I got the hang of it if I didn't go to the range for a while my skills would go south, actually south and to the left... what works for me is dry fire and only shoot a glock. I also own a VP9 and a p30 lem and if I shoot those other guns my glock trigger skills take a nose dive. Dry fire keep focused on the front sight as you run the trigger straight to the rear if the sight moves slow down and do it again till you don't jerk the front sight. I know I said don't shoot any other pistol But another thing that helps is rent a revolver. Shoot DA only if you cock the hammer and shoot SA your not learning anything
Practice slow with a heavy DA trigger on a revolver once you get the hang of a DAO trigger your skills will transfer over to the glock and you should see improvement.

Jesse H
04-14-16, 08:50
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The targets posted were at about a 1.5-2 second cadence. The G22 was new when it was issued to me with factory night sights. Similar groups happen with my personal gen 4 9mms.

The other day I tried shooting left handed supported and the groups mirrored my right handed groups, slightly to the right.

I think after I try a few more things I'll ultimately drift the rear sights, the vast majority of my pistol shooting is with Glocks. It's just irritating knowing my non Glock pistols shoot straight in my hands. Is it the rounded trigger face or grip angle?

I try to dry fire weekly, if not more frequently, it drives my wife and dog nuts. Focusing on the front sight I'm not perceiving noticeable movement to the left. I can lay a coin on the front sight and it'll stay there. Of course something I'm doing with my grip or trigger pull is consistently placing my shots to the left.

I'm going to try different trigger placement and pulls. Allowing the distal joint to bend versus not I can see the tip of the finger move differently.

T2C
04-14-16, 09:43
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The targets posted were at about a 1.5-2 second cadence. The G22 was new when it was issued to me with factory night sights. Similar groups happen with my personal gen 4 9mms.

The other day I tried shooting left handed supported and the groups mirrored my right handed groups, slightly to the right.

I think after I try a few more things I'll ultimately drift the rear sights, the vast majority of my pistol shooting is with Glocks. It's just irritating knowing my non Glock pistols shoot straight in my hands. Is it the rounded trigger face or grip angle?

I try to dry fire weekly, if not more frequently, it drives my wife and dog nuts. Focusing on the front sight I'm not perceiving noticeable movement to the left. I can lay a coin on the front sight and it'll stay there. Of course something I'm doing with my grip or trigger pull is consistently placing my shots to the left.

I'm going to try different trigger placement and pulls. Allowing the distal joint to bend versus not I can see the tip of the finger move differently.

In my opinion, dry firing is the most important thing a person can do to improve their shooting skills. One of the dry fire drills I like to run in a pistol course is to have the students face downrange with an unloaded pistol, close their eyes and feel the trigger.

-With the slide closed on an empty chamber you index your trigger finger on the face of the trigger. What do you feel? Do you feel even pressure on both sides of the face of the trigger? Do you feel more pressure on one side or the other?

-Next you press the trigger to the rear and hold it. What do you feel now? Do you feel even pressure on the face of the trigger? Is the trigger finger touching part of the frame or your support hand? Do you feel uneven pressure on the grip of the pistol? Do you need to adjust your grip to maintain the feel of even pressure.

-After dry fire we would set up cardboard edged to the shooter and live fire until the cardboard was shot in half while paying attention to trigger feel before and after each shot. We start at the 3 yard line and work our way back to the 7 yard line.

Dime drills are great in that they require you to focus on the dime to see if it jumps straight up or left or right when the trigger breaks. What's underneath the dime? The front sight! If the dime jumps to the right, the shot would go left. If the dime jumps to the left, the shot would go right. Focus and follow through are very important. When you can easily perform left hand and right hand dime drills 10 times in a row without upsetting the dime, you know you are on the right track. The same aspects apply when running dime drills. What am I feeling? Even trigger engagement before I press? Even trigger engagement and grip after I press? Did I squeeze the grip when I pressed the trigger or did I maintain consistent grip pressure and trigger press as separate mental and physical acts?

In the off season when I can't get in as much range time, I'll perform dry fire and dime drills 200 times left handed, then 200 times right handed every day. It keeps you sharp when you either can't get to the range or afford a lot of ammunition.

When I ran a range at our agency, I used these drills to take someone from an officer who could barely or not qualify to someone who shot high Master. My suggestions are not the end all, only way to do it, there is definitely more than one way to learn trigger control. It's just one way to reach your goals.

Please keep us posted and give us feedback on which suggestions from all the posters worked for you.

Jesse H
04-20-16, 09:39
With the weather I haven't had a chance to go back to the range, but stumbled noted something that I can't believe I haven't in the past while dry-firing. Doing my normal dry-fire routine I can't see the front sight doing anything noticeable.

This time I tried exaggerating a few things like loosening my grip and getting a little sloppy with my trigger finger, but still using the same basic technique that I always have been. I would do this with a trigger that's already pulled to the back, and pull hard.

Whether I'm placing the trigger on the tip of the finger, center of the pad or all the way up to the distal joint, the front sight will move to the left. Again, this is with a loose grip and pressing hard on the pulled back trigger so that the trigger isn't breaking and my hand and finger is translating it's movements to the gun.

By adjusting the method of trigger pull, I think I'm able to pull the trigger as hard as I want without the gun moving left or right. This is still holding the gun loose.

You always learn that the trigger should be pressed straight back. And I always thought that's what I was doing. For me, pulling straight back by keeping the distal joint straight and bending the second knuckle actually pushed the gun to the left. In order for my hands to pull the trigger straight back, I have to bend the distal joint which somewhat curves my finger around the trigger when pulling back. It feels strange, but now I can press hard and the front sight stays where I'm pointing it.

I'm guessing this shows up with Glocks because of the slightly rounded trigger. Of course this is all with an unloaded gun, we'll see how this translates into live fire.

Coal Dragger
04-20-16, 10:02
I always interface the trigger like you are describing on most pistols including the Benelli MP95E I shot in college (still do with that pistol), as well as my 1911 and other handguns. My hands are large enough that the first pad feels awkward, and if I don't curve the first pad when using my first distal joint it results in the same issue you have. If this centers you up, then great. If not drift your rear sight.

On a side note I finally shot a Glock 19 a few days ago at an indoor range (yes I live in a cave since I'd never shot a G19). The range safety officer let me shoot it after we were talking about sights and sight picture, he had a set of aftermarket sights on his G19 and let me give it a go. I noticed his rear sight was drifted a bit to the right, and the pistol shot spot on for windage for me.

Obagual
04-20-16, 22:29
Something that worked for me was to get a gen 4 and put a backstrap on it. I loved the feel of the gen 4 with no backstrap but I was constantly shooting left. I was running out to ideas and decided to try a back strap one night. It was not as comfortable as without a back strap but it brought my rounds to center.

anatolian B
04-20-16, 22:54
Adjust the rear sight and buy a better trigger. I've found that some gen 2, 3&4 triggers never "loosen/crisp up". Meaning they never shoot or break in. Believe it or not Suarez International has a great trigger for a $125. Replacing the trigger bar can make a big difference.

Digital_Damage
04-21-16, 07:40
Don't drift the sight or switch triggers yet. that will just cause more issues unless you always plan on shooting at a fixed distance.

I had the same issue switching from Glock (as primary) to a Walther PPQ. I shoot 1911, sig p226 and HK 2000. Only the Walther was giving me problems.

I wanted to blame the sights, but after significant drifire under stress (Timer) I discovered my Proximal Phalanx on my index was pushing the firearm ever so slightly left. Mainly because the grip was so much slimmer than the glocks. I had to (just like the 1911) learn a different pull for the pistol and about 2000 rounds later the issue went away.

turnburglar
04-21-16, 13:08
Flattening out my trigger finger did a lot for shooting every gun. Even the guns with crappy triggers started becoming more acceptable. Most shooters leave their trigger finger curved like a '?' but in reality that shape has very poor leverage. Getting the knuckles inline and making your finger look more like a right angle will give your trigger pull a lot more mechanical leverage. I'll try and find a video that demonstrates this for the audio/visual learners.

Alaskapopo
04-23-16, 05:19
I always interface the trigger like you are describing on most pistols including the Benelli MP95E I shot in college (still do with that pistol), as well as my 1911 and other handguns. My hands are large enough that the first pad feels awkward, and if I don't curve the first pad when using my first distal joint it results in the same issue you have. If this centers you up, then great. If not drift your rear sight.

On a side note I finally shot a Glock 19 a few days ago at an indoor range (yes I live in a cave since I'd never shot a G19). The range safety officer let me shoot it after we were talking about sights and sight picture, he had a set of aftermarket sights on his G19 and let me give it a go. I noticed his rear sight was drifted a bit to the right, and the pistol shot spot on for windage for me.

I shot a Benelli MP95E in bullseye in College as well. Cool gun regret selling it.

JC5188
04-23-16, 11:13
With the weather I haven't had a chance to go back to the range, but stumbled noted something that I can't believe I haven't in the past while dry-firing. Doing my normal dry-fire routine I can't see the front sight doing anything noticeable.

This time I tried exaggerating a few things like loosening my grip and getting a little sloppy with my trigger finger, but still using the same basic technique that I always have been. I would do this with a trigger that's already pulled to the back, and pull hard.

Whether I'm placing the trigger on the tip of the finger, center of the pad or all the way up to the distal joint, the front sight will move to the left. Again, this is with a loose grip and pressing hard on the pulled back trigger so that the trigger isn't breaking and my hand and finger is translating it's movements to the gun.

By adjusting the method of trigger pull, I think I'm able to pull the trigger as hard as I want without the gun moving left or right. This is still holding the gun loose.

You always learn that the trigger should be pressed straight back. And I always thought that's what I was doing. For me, pulling straight back by keeping the distal joint straight and bending the second knuckle actually pushed the gun to the left. In order for my hands to pull the trigger straight back, I have to bend the distal joint which somewhat curves my finger around the trigger when pulling back. It feels strange, but now I can press hard and the front sight stays where I'm pointing it.

I'm guessing this shows up with Glocks because of the slightly rounded trigger. Of course this is all with an unloaded gun, we'll see how this translates into live fire.

I have a similar problem with Glocks. Never been able to just pick one up and shoot as well as others. My current carry guns are an M&P 40c, XD9 subc, and a pro carry 1911 alloy frame. I shoot them all well, with only the 1911 requiring different trigger technique.

I dry fire. A LOT. Until the snap caps begin to look like this...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160423/2d96231b07fb5a8a2767d96f4252d99a.jpg

When I bought a G22 in 2010, I dry fired it, adjusting grip and trigger until I got it straightened out. However, when I went back to the others, now they were f'd up.

My point being, if I had to use Glocks in a professional capacity, I personally would shoot only them. I don't know what it is that is different but they are damned sure different.

My personal opinion in your case, if you start monkeying with grip etc, it may have a negative impact on your other pistols. It did mine. Therefore, I would drift the sights. No question.

Just an opinion based on my personal experience.

YMMV

Coal Dragger
04-23-16, 12:06
I shot a Benelli MP95E in bullseye in College as well. Cool gun regret selling it.

I can never bring myself to sell it, the pistol saw me to NRA Collegiate Nationals at Ft. Benning in 2003. I have sentimental attachment to it. Plus it still shoots really really well. Makes non target grade .22LR's seem pointless.

I'm lucky that spare parts are still imported. I laid in a supply of firing pins and recoil buffers.

Spiffums
04-23-16, 17:41
It's your gun and if you have other guns you can't remember how to properly hold/grip each and everyone differently. Just drift your sights and make your gun fit you. That's why they make them adjustable to start with.