PDA

View Full Version : 1986 FBI Miami Gunfight - Firefight & Personal Reflections

titsonritz
04-13-16, 00:59
It has been 30 years since the infamous FBI Miami shootout with William Matix and Michael Platt which left the both perps dead, also killed were two FBI agent Jerry Dove and Ben Grogan, three other agent were left permanently impair and two others were wounded but recovered. It is probably the most studied gunfight in LE history. It left the LE and firearm world in general with some heavy lessons learned, others that should have been learned and have not, it also generated a few myths. Here is the firefight and some personal reflections...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pE4XI1dNWk

A SAD AND MEANINGFUL ANNIVERSARY (http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2016/04/11/a-sad-and-meaningful-anniversary/)

SteyrAUG
04-13-16, 01:34
Still remember that going down. My father knew a couple guys who worked in that office, but none of those directly involved in the shootout. To say it changed almost everything they did and how they did it would be an understatement.

Directly resulted in the MP5/10 and the almost complete abandonment of any service revolver by the entire LE community. They intended to adopt a 10mm Delta Elite as well but determined the round was a bit too potent for most shooters and except for the HRT then went to the .40 S&W.

titsonritz
04-13-16, 01:43
I remember it as well. They did go with the S&W 1076 in limited numbers until, like you said, it was determined to be too powerful for general use. It was a good case study for the determined criminal mindset. Image if the N. Hollywood shoot losers had half the mindset of Matix and Platt.

SteyrAUG
04-13-16, 02:12
I remember it as well. They did go with the S&W 1076 in limited numbers until, like you said, it was determined to be too powerful for general use. It was a good case study for the determined criminal mindset. Image if the N. Hollywood shoot losers had half the mindset of Matix and Platt.

Actually the North Hollywood shooters were pretty in the game, they just didn't follow the exit strategy from Heat which they used as a training video very well and got boxed in.

I don't think it was a case of Platt and Matix were so hardcore so much as a case of the FBI being too complacent and expecting everyone to shit pennies when they flashed their badge and ID. Feds had decades of being "G-men" and expecting everyone to grab the floor at the mere mention of "FBI", it had been a long time since somebody pointed a Thompson at them and said "screw you."

Despite the fact that Miami had been a bit "wild west" for several years most of the guys tailing the "known bank robbers and murderers" that day honestly didn't expect a shootout in their mind. They really thought they were gonna box em in, point guns and produce badges and "get their man." They did a "by the numbers" preparation to take down armed bad guys, but when the shooting actually started many agents were shocked and surprised.

As a result one of the few positive outcomes was a change in mindset and training that was carried over to the law enforcement community as a whole that has probably saved more cops than we can ever count. In the early 90s I was training with lots of groups and "combative mindset" was the thing, we had seen it before from guys like Cooper but it always seemed to take a back seat to things like "instinctive / point shooting" or some other consideration.

Moose-Knuckle
04-13-16, 03:15
I have always wondered if this infamous shootout is what prompted Bill Ruger to take the stance he did.

Stories such as this are a reminder of why LE shoot when they do the vast majority of times instead of "why didn't they just shoot him in the leg", or "why didn't they just taze him", etc.

To quote one of my favorite Westerns . . .

Everett Hitch: "It happened quick."
Virgil Cole: "Everyone could shoot."

26 Inf
04-13-16, 11:54
Actually the North Hollywood shooters were pretty in the game, they just didn't follow the exit strategy from Heat which they used as a training video very well and got boxed in.

I don't think it was a case of Platt and Matix were so hardcore so much as a case of the FBI being too complacent and expecting everyone to shit pennies when they flashed their badge and ID. Feds had decades of being "G-men" and expecting everyone to grab the floor at the mere mention of "FBI", it had been a long time since somebody pointed a Thompson at them and said "screw you."

Despite the fact that Miami had been a bit "wild west" for several years most of the guys tailing the "known bank robbers and murderers" that day honestly didn't expect a shootout in their mind. They really thought they were gonna box em in, point guns and produce badges and "get their man." They did a "by the numbers" preparation to take down armed bad guys, but when the shooting actually started many agents were shocked and surprised.

As a result one of the few positive outcomes was a change in mindset and training that was carried over to the law enforcement community as a whole that has probably saved more cops than we can ever count. In the early 90s I was training with lots of groups and "combative mindset" was the thing, we had seen it before from guys like Cooper but it always seemed to take a back seat to things like "instinctive / point shooting" or some other consideration.

I think you are pretty much spot on - except the FBI lagged behind most competent LE agencies in terms of modern training practices - by the 1986 most of the agencies had made the transition to auto-pistol - we were probably 60 auto/40 wheel at that point. No doubt the FBI stepped up it's game, after all it was during this time frame that they invented the Weaver Stance and roll over prone. :sarcastic:

We also need to remember that the FBI had no 'patrol' function and at the time whoever said 'felony stop, let's do it' had an idea of what a felony stop was that matched no one else's. They did fix that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlSCE88UhyA

That is Part 1. Part 2 deals with the personal recollections of everyone there. If you watch it, you will notice that Gordon McNeil takes absolutely no responsibility for failing to ensure that his men were wearing vests and were properly armed. The vests wouldn't have protected against the Mini, put would have protected against the pistol which they also knew was used in the robberies. Remember, the FBI/Dade County knew these guys had been practicing with a .223 in the Everglades, knew they had killed one guy, and knew they had shot another and left him for dead. Disciplining McNeil for his lack of supervision/leadership was not in the cards, the FBI needed heroes.

Firefly
04-13-16, 12:11
MP5s in 10MM and 10MM in general is interesting but I think if the FBI had brought CAR-15s; that would've been a whole other rodeo.

They already know one guy has a rifle and will shoot. Why try a high risk arrest with pistols.

Same with North Hollywood, it wasn't until pissed off guys in M4s showed up that it got sorted.

Even if the FBI guys that day had .41 magnum revolvers and 10mm pistols; they were still going up against guys who had a rifle and shotgun

yoni
04-13-16, 12:17
Terrible tactics combined with long guns in the back seats or trunk, resulted in a bad day for the FBI. I have had dealings with the FBI over the years and they never did impress me much. Lawyers and CPA's with guns. Give me a bunch of guys with a high school diploma that kick ass, every day of the week.

SteyrAUG
04-13-16, 15:23
MP5s in 10MM and 10MM in general is interesting but I think if the FBI had brought CAR-15s; that would've been a whole other rodeo.

They already know one guy has a rifle and will shoot. Why try a high risk arrest with pistols.

Same with North Hollywood, it wasn't until pissed off guys in M4s showed up that it got sorted.

Even if the FBI guys that day had .41 magnum revolvers and 10mm pistols; they were still going up against guys who had a rifle and shotgun

In 86 people were still concerned with background in urban cities and didn't want to send rifles rounds downrange in populated areas.

It wouldn't be until the FBI "materials test" that they were able to swap MP5s for M4s. We won't get into the fact that the "materials test" seemed to contradict every other real world experience of "rifle rounds" vs. "handgun rounds" in terms of penetration of most barriers.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-13-16, 15:54
If you are a student of gunfighting and don't own this, you are wrong:
http://www.amazon.com/Forensic-Analysis-April-1986-Firefight/dp/1581604904

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-13-16, 21:28
Wow, I knew about the shootout but didn't know the shot-by-shot details. Ed Mireles is the man. Hit, with one arm out of action, he works a pump shotgun with one hand and empties it into the car. He then draws his handgun as he is going into shock, getting tunnel vision and advances while he empties his revolver by pumping three rounds into each BG ending at point blank range. BGs were shot six and TWELVE times respectively.

26 Inf
04-13-16, 21:55
Wow, I knew about the shootout but didn't know the shot-by-shot details. Ed Mireles is the man. Hit, with one arm out of action, he works a pump shotgun with one hand and empties it into the car. He then draws his handgun as he is going into shock, getting tunnel vision and advances while he empties his revolver by pumping three rounds into each BG ending at point blank range. BGs were shot six and TWELVE times respectively.

I met him at the FBI Academy shortly after they adopted the 10mm, his arm was messed up, I got the impression he was a pretty laid back guy, obviously a lot of drive in that package.

T2C
04-14-16, 03:05
A lot can still be learned from a detailed review of the incident. We used the incident as a training model for a lot of years.

elephant
04-14-16, 03:07

I think that was the mentality the ATF had when Janet Reno sent them to Waco Tx, to arrest David Koresh. For years the AFT had sat on the chopping block and had almost no experience in the field. This was time to prove there worth to congress to keep there funding. The Branch Davidian standoff was a joke. Most unprofessional attempt by a federal agency at enforcing the law, or lack thereof. Some people don't care if you have a badge and a gun, they see you as just another person.

SteyrAUG
04-14-16, 04:31
I think that was the mentality the ATF had when Janet Reno sent them to Waco Tx, to arrest David Koresh. For years the AFT had sat on the chopping block and had almost no experience in the field. This was time to prove there worth to congress to keep there funding. The Branch Davidian standoff was a joke. Most unprofessional attempt by a federal agency at enforcing the law, or lack thereof. Some people don't care if you have a badge and a gun, they see you as just another person.

Even worse, they were going to storm across an open field in broad daylight for the TV crews. The local Sheriff had previously informed him that Koresch could be easily taken into custody the next time he came to town for supplies.

But Reno wanted her moment where she put the inventory of a "stocking FFL" on tables and said "THESE ARE THE GUNS WE MUST BAN...THESE ARE THE GUNS IN THE HANDS OF DANGEROUS RELIGIOUS FANATICS WHO RAPE CHILDREN."

Turns out she got her TV moment alright, and I guess she saved those children from further sexual abuse when they died in flames. Reno might possibly be the most evil woman in 20th century politics.

elephant
04-14-16, 10:05
that was a failed mission, if I remember right, that started on Thanksgiving day, I was in 6th grade. No probable cause, just speculation. And in the end, Janet and Bill called in Abrams tanks and burned the place to the ground. Everyone including the children were burned alive or shot. Both the Branch Dravidians and the feds were desperate to prove a point.

brickboy240
04-14-16, 10:08
Wasn't that the incident that turned everyone away from the 115gr Silvertip 9mm round?

...or pretty much the 9mm round in general?

GlockWRX
04-14-16, 10:23
Wasn't that the incident that turned everyone away from the 115gr Silvertip 9mm round?

...or pretty much the 9mm round in general?

My memory is rusty, but I believe a 9mm round from Agent Dove's S&W M59 passed through the upper arm of one of the d-bags and lodged in his chest, just short of the heart. You could almost say that single round eventually led to the .40 S&W cartridge.

Renegade
04-14-16, 10:53
Directly resulted in the MP5/10 and the almost complete abandonment of any service revolver by the entire LE community. They intended to adopt a 10mm Delta Elite as well but determined the round was a bit too potent for most shooters and except for the HRT then went to the .40 S&W.

C'mon. After 30 years the basic facts should not be incorrect. You should know better.

They went to S&W1076 using FBI-LITE. mP5/10 was not till 6 years later, 1992.

40S&W was not adopted till over 10 years later.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/122334NCJRS.pdf

SteyrAUG
04-14-16, 16:55
C'mon. After 30 years the basic facts should not be incorrect. You should know better.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/122334NCJRS.pdf

Sorry, didn't want to try and do it from memory so I used a source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10mm_Auto

http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90:mp510-a-40-series&

Also looks like the MP5/10 came online in 1991, not 92.

And The Federal Bureau of Investigation briefly field-tested the 10mm Auto using a M1911 pistol platform and a Thompson Model 1928 submachine gun before adopting the Smith & Wesson Model 1076 in 1990.

http://www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/tata/2008_q2/page00006.htm

Firefly
04-14-16, 17:26
A Thompson in 10mm?!

Very interesting

pinzgauer
04-14-16, 17:45

Way more complicated than what most seem to recall.

You have to remember that the FBI was also adding female agents at the time. There was tremendous debates, press, arguments, etc about the 10mm.

By most contemporary accounts, the move to 10mm lite was largely due to Female officer results. Who by most accounts, had similar issues with 357's as well.

The industry creation of 40 was twofold, it allowed a standard, SAAMI "10mm lite" cartridge, and more importantly, could be used in 9mm doublestack format that was all the vogue. Where 10mm was too long and too high pressure for those same platforms.

I can't recall why the Colt Delta was not pursued, I think it was mainly capacity. Doublestacks were hot, and considered mandatory by many. But as a longtime delta shooter, it's more manageable recoil than a 4" SW service revolver in 357.

Move to the 1076, you have a wampus big pistol, large grip, heavy, and (in my view) not the greatest ergos. No surprise it was not loved. I still see them occasionally and marvel at how big they are, almost like desert eagles.

As for all the "why didn't they just use 9mm?" fans... 9mm at the time was no where near the current technology. JHP's of the time did not perform well, and worse, LEO had very much lost confidence in it. The idea that you needed a 4 rather than a 3 was still very entrenched (Keith, Cooper, etc)

Had the current crop of 9mm, P+ defense ammo been available there never would have been a 40.

I'll still take 10mm over 45 (heresy!!!), and still carry a Kahr P40 concealed because I trust it and shoot it well.

But you have to know the era to know how they ended up with their choices.

Same even for CAR-15's.... sole source was Colt, hard to get, expensive, not as reliable as current AR's, minimal accessories, etc. HK91's were cheaper than CAR-15's typically, and a mini was 25% of the cost of a CAR-15. As much as folks rag on mini's, I shot GB mini's side by side with CAR-15's. Not a huge accuracy or reliability difference at the time. (My GB was rock solid for decades) Mag's were the same price, and only a few beat up M-16 surplus mags were available outside of new Colt mags.

Much has changed since then, obviously!

Renegade
04-14-16, 17:56
http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90:mp510-a-40-series&

Also looks like the MP5/10 came online in 1991, not 92.

Hmm, that was my source too:

http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92:the-best-there-is-mp5&catid=9:the-submachine-guns&Itemid=5

1992: The MP5 in 10mm Auto and .40 S&W is introduced.

Renegade
04-14-16, 17:59
By most contemporary accounts, the move to 10mm lite was largely due to Female officer results. Who by most accounts, had similar issues with 357's as well.

This is an contemporary urban myth.

The truth is in the 10mm story in the LEB.

Firefly
04-14-16, 18:10
Pinzgauer,

When we say CAR-15s of the day do we mean the "military" ones with the moderator or the M16A1 Carbines?

I was referring to the M16A1 carbines. I know that some of the moderator ones could be touchy if not properly cared for or properly gas ported.

I have an SP1 carbine of that era that I lube and shoot like my contemporary(as of 2003) 6920 with no issues. I know Colt has had a few lemons but was it a training issue or a maintenance issue?

I'm guilty of tossing CAR-15 out willy nilly (the term) but want to know which ones were considered duds.

In 1986, I was more into my GI Joes and Transformers and thus not in the whole gun scene at all. Plus I was a kid.

I do know that older guys lauded the Mini 14 though.

pinzgauer
04-14-16, 18:15
This is an contemporary urban myth.

The truth is in the 10mm story in the LEB.

Well, history is written by the victors. Enough diverse viewpoints on this that I don't believe the official story. Always interested in a read, though. Sources?

Think the H&K CSwhatever trials folks are debating on now is contentious? Should have seen the M16A2 mess. And the trials that lead to the Beretta 92 selection, etc.

Enough documented smoke on most Federal firearm selection programs that I'm not sure I trust any outcomes, much less the stated reasons.

But I'll bite, what was the real reason they went to 10mm lite? :-)

pinzgauer
04-14-16, 18:34
When we say CAR-15s of the day do we mean the "military" ones with the moderator or the M16A1 Carbines?

I was referring to the M16A1 carbines. I know that some of the moderator ones could be touchy if not properly cared for or properly gas ported.

The ones available to LEO at the time were primarily civvy "CAR-15"'s (SP1's?) as I understand it. Half moon bcg, non-std pins, no FA, etc. And even then most LEO would not touch them due to A) Expense, B) Warlike image, C) Shotgun culture

Then the plastic vs metal stock issue surfaced, forget the details, but the purists hated

I have an SP1 carbine of that era that I lube and shoot like my contemporary(as of 2003) 6920 with no issues. I know Colt has had a few lemons but was it a training issue or a maintenance issue?

Just finicky, plus made worse by beater mags due to limited availability on 30 round mags. This was probably more like '79 when I was exposed to the side by side civvy CAR vs mini's. My friend still has his CAR.

I'm guilty of tossing CAR-15 out willy nilly (the term) but want to know which ones were considered duds.

I'm not sure I'd call them duds, just not the gold standard they are now. I think mini's of the era (especially GB's) were a bit better than now. And the civvy colt's had some definite issues that have since been addressed.

But at 3X the cost of a mini, and higher than an HK91, the colts did not sell well. Some did, obviously

The gold standard for most of us was the HK, and when they became available, the FN marketed FAL. And you had the M14/M1A CMP crowd. Yes, Apples to oranges.

But my 91 never failed me. CAR-15's (and the rifles) were not as well regarded.

Had the LEO had access to, or been willing to pursue usage of the mil M16's it might have been different. Certainly that changed in the SWAT era, but those were usually still civvy AR-15 rifles. MP5's became hot in what we'd consider the carbine role more than the CAR did.

My point is that LEO acceptance, perceived reliability, and price point were all very different back then. Add to that the "mouse gun" CMP/AMU influence, and just not much love for them.

Remember, it was considered a good thing at the time when bushmaster made their intro, and that was still long before the do it yourself AR thing started.

Firefly
04-14-16, 18:48
I see. Plus, I suppose there was the whole post Vietnam stigma.

You'd think people would take essentially 15 years of war in Southeast Asia and put its practicality to use

I guess I'm looking at it from 30 year hindsight. I also totally understand "shotgun culture". I was SO brainwashed in academy that it wasn't until taking a real Patrol Rifle course that one can see how limiting a shotgun can be, the only equalizer is slugs but almost no police chief wants to authorize them even though something like North Hollywood would've gone way different.

On a side note, I place higher value on a 20 round mag than a 30. 30 has its place but for patrol use a 20 round offers way more versatility for proning out or improvised firing positions.

SteyrAUG
04-14-16, 19:12
Hmm, that was my source too:

http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92:the-best-there-is-mp5&catid=9:the-submachine-guns&Itemid=5

1992: The MP5 in 10mm Auto and .40 S&W is introduced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_MP5#Larger_caliber_versions

In 1991, Heckler & Koch introduced the MP5/10 (chambered in 10mm Auto) and MP5/40 (chambered for the .40 S&W cartridge), which are based on the MP5A4 and MP5A5. These weapons were assembled in fixed and retractable stock configurations (without a separate designation) and are fed from translucent 30-round polymer box magazines.

Also a lot of my post of general overview and I wasn't tying to suggest the MP5/10 came online in 1987 and that the .40 was adopted in 1988 or anything like that. I was simply saying the MP5/10 was created as a result of the 1986 shootout, but obviously there was some R&D involved before adoption and problems with the intended adoption of a 10mm handgun eventually led to the adoption of a .40 S&W.

Dienekes
04-14-16, 19:18
Back in the 80s I worked on the case from hell. Demons and all, I think.

Anyway, for personal and professional reasons I latched on to a personal "CAR-15", probably an SP-1, circa 1983. I shot it quite a lot with handloads and never had any issues with it. Bone stock, GI mags, and as mentioned above, NO stinking upgrades of any kind. I eventually sold it as I saw no further need for a weapon of mass destruction.

It was a decent little carbine, and in hindsight, yeah, I should have kept it. About ten years ago I saw the light and replaced it--and thanks to ACOGs I could also see the sights too.

As to the Miami shoot out--it sure got a lot of people's attention!

SteyrAUG
04-14-16, 19:19
A Thompson in 10mm?!

Very interesting

Yep, but I still want a picture of the MP5/45. I have heard as many as two exist, not counting the Bill Flemings models. I think that would have been the pinnacle of subgun evolution, but HK was more interested in developing plastic guns at that point.

Here is a Bill gun.

http://i39.tinypic.com/fnr0xw.jpg

26 Inf
04-14-16, 19:50
Well, history is written by the victors. Enough diverse viewpoints on this that I don't believe the official story. Always interested in a read, though. Sources?

Think the H&K CSwhatever trials folks are debating on now is contentious? Should have seen the M16A2 mess. And the trials that lead to the Beretta 92 selection, etc.

Enough documented smoke on most Federal firearm selection programs that I'm not sure I trust any outcomes, much less the stated reasons.

But I'll bite, what was the real reason they went to 10mm lite? :-)

Disclaimer: I am not an FBI employee, nor have I ever been. At one time I had a boss who was a retired FBI agent with connections at Quantico. For about 4 years I made several one week trips to Quantico each year. I spent most of one trip observing the first new agents going through training with the 1076. They were having double-feed problems which several instructors attributed to magazine problems. My brash young butt had been teaching auto-pistol to cops for several years and the malfunctions I saw would have been called shooter induced at home. I kept my yap shut because I was a guest. IIRC, John Hall, then head of the FTU carried a Delta Elite. Mr. Hall got me a 1076 the first day I was there that trip and I was able to put about 200 rounds through it. They were the 10mm Lites. I liked shooting them, but I didn't care for the ergonomics of the 1076, number one, I'm a lefty, and number two, the grip feels too long (front to rear) and skinny.

John Hall was/is a true gentleman and a great legal mind, somehow I think the 1076 hindered his career.

Firefly
04-14-16, 20:15
26, you're a lefty? I never would've suspected.

I actually sort of liked the Sig Style decocker. I don't know if they made a 45 version like that but it would've been nicer than the 4586's heavy DAO I was started out with.

I don't know if Hogue makes a grip accomodating such frames.

I was indoctrinated on the .45 pretty heavy but if it were the 80s, I'd likely pursue a 10mm of some sort given the 9mm of the day. But again I have benefit of looking through a 2016 lens

pinzgauer
04-14-16, 22:50
I spent most of one trip observing the first new agents going through training with the 1076. They were having double-feed problems which several instructors attributed to magazine problems. My brash young butt had been teaching auto-pistol to cops for several years and the malfunctions I saw would have been called shooter induced at home. I kept my yap shut because I was a guest. IIRC, John Hall, then head of the FTU carried a Delta Elite. Mr. Hall got me a 1076 the first day I was there that trip and I was able to put about 200 rounds through it. They were the 10mm Lites. I liked shooting them, but I didn't care for the ergonomics of the 1076, number one, I'm a lefty, and number two, the grip feels too long (front to rear) and skinny.

Personally, my read is the 1076 was a rushed product to offer something in 10mm. 1911's were out of favor at the time. The Bren 10 was mythical and expensive. But folks liked the 10mm concept.

I'm not a 1076 fan. Nor were most reviewers, if I recall. Just a bit awkward.

I shoot mostly downloaded 10mm in the Delta Elite for fun and to save hard to find powder, but have no problems shooting it hot. It stings the hand like a 357 with full power loads, does not rock as much as a 45. Different recoil, not worse. But with 45 equiv loadings (heavier bullets, lower velocity), I'm not sure most could tell the difference between a DE in 10mm and a 45. So to me it has a flexibility advantage, load it hot and flat, duplicate 45, or light 40SW equiv loads.

I'm not sold it was the perfect answer for LEO at the time. But I also don't feel it was the worst caliber pick either. I could see carrying a 10mm full sized glock as a LEO. It'd be like shooting a 4" 357 with hot loads and twice the capacity. And a bit flatter shooting, less rock due to lower bore.

26 Inf
04-15-16, 11:42
Personally, my read is the 1076 was a rushed product to offer something in 10mm. 1911's were out of favor at the time. The Bren 10 was mythical and expensive. But folks liked the 10mm concept.

I'm not a 1076 fan. Nor were most reviewers, if I recall. Just a bit awkward.

My recollection of the time was that the first agents to use autos were the field office SWAT teams, originally the S&W 59 series. They next went to the Sig, IIRC fullsized 226 for SWAT and then the compact 228 authorized as an optional gun for agents. The HRT guys used Browning Hi-Powers for a while.

Since the FBI had been allowing agents to carry Sigs (226 or 228) for several years, when they went looking for a handgun for the 10mm, one of the requirements was that it was a side decocker. To me it seemed pretty obvious they wanted Sig to build their new pistol. S&W cobbled the 1006 into the 1076 by adding the decock to the side. And won over Sig.

At least that is what I recall. Here's something on 10mm - Lite:

Early FBI testing of the full power Norma 10mm Auto round found it was too high-pressure, was hard on the converted 1911 test pistol, and had "unmanageable" recoil levels. FTU personnel purchased 180 grain Sierra JHP bullets and handloaded them at a muzzle velocity of 980 fps. This reduced the recoil to tolerable levels, and the FBI requested the Federal Cartridge company to duplicate this reduced load. This "FBI-lite" round became the standard issue. (lost the link to this)

pinzgauer
04-15-16, 14:02
Early FBI testing of the full power Norma 10mm Auto round found it was too high-pressure, was hard on the converted 1911 test pistol, and had "unmanageable" recoil levels. FTU personnel purchased 180 grain Sierra JHP bullets and handloaded them at a muzzle velocity of 980 fps. This reduced the recoil to tolerable levels, and the FBI requested the Federal Cartridge company to duplicate this reduced load. This "FBI-lite" round became the standard issue. (lost the link to this)

Yes, early Norma 10mm was fairly hot. But personally, I am suspicious of the "unmanageble recoil levels" bit. They ended up with a load below 45 recoil levels.

this tells me:
- the 1076 was not strong enough
- there were issues with agents handling even moderate recoil levels... 45ACP in 1911's has been shot by men in uniform for years. So the FBI has to go to a load 20% lighter bullet weight, same velocity as 45 to get "manageable recoil"? I can load 200+ grain bullets to comparable 45'ish velocities in 10mm 1911's, and (surprise), it shoots just like a 45.

Choice of platform clearly had some impact, I shot 45 in a sig clone for a bit, and it was snappier than a commander, much less a full sized 1911. But probably no worse then even current 9mm LEO loadings in smaller sigs and glocks.

They clearly did not want a singlestack, and 1911's were very much out of favor at the time. So I don't know that there were great alternatives, though IMI was doing some neat stuff with 41AE. Which worked fine in 9mm platforms with minimal modification. (Barrel and mag in most cases).

The Sig 220 (BDA) was available in 38 super for some time prior, which could be loaded quite hot and approach 357 performance. (Super-vels, anyone?)

So there were a couple of options. But there were just too many anomalies in the decision for me to believe the published accounts.