PDA

View Full Version : Sabre Defence for sale at Pawn

Jpoe88
04-13-16, 08:19
Theres a Sabre Defence for sale at a Pawn shop in my area that primarily deals in the AR platform. It has some big goofy old school light on it and the muzzle device looks like its made onto the barrel (not pinned and welded).

I know they are defunct and for various reasons, so I'm not looking to debate their story. I just think it being there is neat and wonder what your thoughts are as far as pricing goes. They are asking 749 tax. I thought I might take my DPMS (receiver) rifle up there and offer a trade if theres anything special about it.

I believe its a mid with an A2 stock. Could be a ban era rifle.

SomeOtherGuy
04-13-16, 09:16
It depends a lot on condition. If the muzzle device is perm'd or integral that would be a negative to many people. They made a good rifle but there are a lot of good options right now that don't cost too much. I would value it in the $700-750 range in excellent condition and less for lower condition.

Sabre offered some rifles the Cavalry Arms lower receiver, which is entirely nylon with the lower, buttstock and grip all one piece.* Although it's a decent lower (better than other polymer options), a model with the Cav Arms lower would be worth significantly less.

*strictly speaking the Cav Arms lower was two halves molded separately and then ultrasonically welded together.

Jpoe88
04-13-16, 09:32
It depends a lot on condition. If the muzzle device is perm'd or integral that would be a negative to many people. They made a good rifle but there are a lot of good options right now that don't cost too much. I would value it in the $700-750 range in excellent condition and less for lower condition.

Sabre offered some rifles the Cavalry Arms lower receiver, which is entirely nylon with the lower, buttstock and grip all one piece.* Although it's a decent lower (better than other polymer options), a model with the Cav Arms lower would be worth significantly less.

*strictly speaking the Cav Arms lower was two halves molded separately and then ultrasonically welded together.

I wasn't sure if it was a good deal or not since they aren't producing anymore if it was worth any extra bread. The muzzle device is ugly AF. Just a novelty I suppose.

Jpoe88
04-13-16, 12:49
749 is their price. Gonna ride by after work and check it out. if we can work a deal, it would be a good one to rebarrel into a 20"

SomeOtherGuy
04-13-16, 13:11
749 is their price. Gonna ride by after work and check it out. if we can work a deal, it would be a good one to rebarrel into a 20"

Uh... at the time, the barrel was one of the best features of the Sabre guns. If you're going to toss the barrel, you might be better off just building from parts. Not that there's anything wrong with the other parts, but even $749 is a lot to pay for the non-barrel parts of a standard plastic handguard AR.

Jpoe88
04-13-16, 15:07
Uh... at the time, the barrel was one of the best features of the Sabre guns. If you're going to toss the barrel, you might be better off just building from parts. Not that there's anything wrong with the other parts, but even $749 is a lot to pay for the non-barrel parts of a standard plastic handguard AR.

Got ya. I wouldn't "toss" the barrel. it would be held onto, but youre right, that's a lot of cash to pay for something because it says Sabre Defense.

GH41
04-13-16, 15:10

Get a picture when you look at it. Put it up.

Jpoe88
04-13-16, 15:11
Will do. It may be Friday before I can ride by but it has that "old" look to it.

steyrman13
04-13-16, 15:32
Got ya. I wouldn't "toss" the barrel. it would be held onto, but youre right, that's a lot of cash to pay for something because it says Sabre Defense.

Actually to me the barrel is the best part u less you are just after a "Made in TN" marking which you can get from predator custom shop. Reason being is, of something is out of spec or breaks, you have no support. They did have great barrels though!

Jpoe88
04-13-16, 16:10
Actually to me the barrel is the best part u less you are just after a "Made in TN" marking which you can get from predator custom shop. Reason being is, of something is out of spec or breaks, you have no support. They did have great barrels though!

Hey now, don't start the business with everything is the same just different roll marks!!!

steyrman13
04-13-16, 16:23
Hey now, don't start the business with everything is the same just different roll marks!!!

Not at all. And I don't feel that way. They made great quality stuff but if something is wrong with it or messes up, then you have no one to call.

Jpoe88
04-13-16, 16:27
That's true, but neither of the rifles I currently own have any kind of support.

Quentin
04-15-16, 20:43
Now if this was the Sabre Defence Massad Ayoob Signature Edition, those things go for big bucks today!

I wonder if Massad now provides factory service? :D

Firefly
04-15-16, 20:49
I regret not getting a Sabre Lower when I had the chance solely because of the Thundercats rollmark.

I did have one of their carbine barrels I put on a Bushmaster and it was pretty good.

Skyyr
04-16-16, 14:23
I regret not getting a Sabre Lower when I had the chance solely because of the Thundercats rollmark.

I did have one of their carbine barrels I put on a Bushmaster and it was pretty good.

Only their complete rifles had the Sabre Cat rollmark - their stripped lowers had text instead of a logo.

Firefly
04-16-16, 14:50
Only their complete rifles had the Sabre Cat rollmark - their stripped lowers had text instead of a logo.

Then I guess the one at the store was a take off. I ordered the barrel through PK.

And no matter what it will always be the Thundercats logo to me

titsonritz
04-16-16, 15:25
I would not hesitate to pick up a Sabre if I ran across one in good shape at a reasonable price.

Jpoe88
04-16-16, 17:08
I would not hesitate to pick up a Sabre if I ran across one in good shape at a reasonable price.

I have so many irons in the fire right now I may hold off. Gotta drop an upper off to have the fsb pinned and have already bitten off parts for a .300blk. These are two very very low cost rifles and they will be my last. The 5.56 rifle I intend to see it thru and anything that breaks will be replaced with higher quality. Its just an experiment.