PDA

View Full Version : Stupid noob ?

JB-NY
08-23-08, 15:44
I live in NY where the AWB is still alive and well.

I have been looking for a post ban weapon that I want.
I want a LMT complete rifle and have not been able to find one in a post ban model.

Long story short, I found a FFL close to home that said he would order an LMT and make it post ban compliant. Pin the stock where I wanted it, perm attach compensator and swap out 30rd for 10 rd mag.

How can you get rid of the bayonet lug, hack saw(just kidding)will there be an unsightly mark or does that depend on the workmanship?

Is there anything else I'm missing? The NY AWB is the same as the expired Federal AWB, so if you lived through it please help me cope? :)\

Stickman
08-23-08, 15:47
I live in NY where the AWB is still alive and well.

I have been looking for a post ban weapon that I want.
I want a LMT complete rifle and have not been able to find one in a post ban model.

Long story short, I found a FFL close to home that said he would order an LMT and make it post ban compliant. Pin the stock where I wanted it, perm attach compensator and swap out 30rd for 10 rd mag.

How can you get rid of the bayonet lug, hack saw(just kidding)will there be an unsightly mark or does that depend on the workmanship?

Is there anything else I'm missing? The NY AWB is the same as the expired Federal AWB, so if you lived through it please help me cope? :)\

If you can find a dealer that is willing to do it, that is probably your best bet. Milling off the lug isn't a big deal.

Veracity
08-24-08, 22:00
Hey,
Lots of good gunsmiths can grind that thing off for you...and then refinish the barrel.

Me NY too

Ed L.
08-25-08, 15:02
You will need to buy a pre-ban lower that will allow you to fit an LMT upper. As long as the lower is preban, you can buy the LMT upper and fit it to it.

Be careful of preban Colts, as they have a different pin size.

JB-NY
08-25-08, 19:59
I am a newbie, I have never heard of a pre-ban lower.
I will most likly be getting a new Stag, CMT/Stag LPK and a mil-spec magpul that my FFL will be pinning for me. Will that be OK?

skyugo
08-25-08, 23:18
not sure what your stock budget is, but the magpul PRS (precision rifle stock) is NY compliant. it's more of a match rifle/sniper type stock with adjustable length of pull and stuff. very nice though....

there's another company out there that makes fixed tactical stocks that look and feel quite nice. i forget their name.

i just hate the idea of pinning an M4 stock. feels so neutered. just my opinion.

i ended up going with a Cavalry arms poly lower. fixed A1 length stock. very comfortable. :cool: of course all the koolaid drinkers will rag on you, but it's a very nice durable lower. lightweight as hell too.

i too am trapped "behind enemy lines" for another month or so. then it's colorado. i'm gonna buy a LMT lower with a M4 stock and a pile of handguns when i get there. :D

Ed L.
08-26-08, 12:48
Pre-ban Lower= a lower made before your state Assaut Weapons ban was in place-before 1992 or 1994 (whatever year it was).

DocGKR
08-26-08, 12:55
Why pin an adjustable stock? Why not just go with a Sully stock or an A1 stock?

JB-NY
08-26-08, 12:59
The only thing that I am aware is the fixed stock, muzzle brake or compensator in lieu of a flash suppressor and a 10 round mag unless the mag is pre 1994 then 20-30 rd are OK.
I am assuming that a pre-ban lower is not part of the AWB list in NY, unless you want a col. stock, bay lug. then you would need one in NY.
All the guns I have looked at are brand new they have been made NY compl.
I just don't like any of the ones I have seen.

Veracity
08-26-08, 21:12
I am a newbie, I have never heard of a pre-ban lower.
I will most likly be getting a new Stag, CMT/Stag LPK and a mil-spec magpul that my FFL will be pinning for me. Will that be OK?

Email me and I will give you the 411 on the NYS AWB and what you can do to get yourself something great.

RogerinTPA
08-26-08, 21:41
You guys behind enemy lines need to MOVE!!!!

skyugo
08-26-08, 22:53
You guys behind enemy lines need to MOVE!!!!

i'll be in colorado by september 23 :p

22_Shooter
08-27-08, 02:58
I'm in NY too.

I don't know how much your guy is going to charge for the work, but you can buy any upper, have the company send it to Adco, and he will post-banify it for you. I'm in the same situation, and when BCM mid-lengths start showing back up, I'm sending it to Adco.

You only need a pre-ban lower if you want all the "goodies" (telescoping stock, flash hider, bayo-lug).

You got the mags part right. As long as they are pre-ban, you can have any size mag you want. I've thought about getting a pre-ban 75 round drum for my AK, but can't really justify it:D.

JB-NY
08-27-08, 09:50
I think I should just get a pre-ban lower, so I can have all the toys and really piss off the liberal whack-o's in NY. Any idea's where I can get one and if 15 years later the lower is still GTG?
Moving is easier said than done. I did live in the free world at one time. Yet again, there is no free(dom) America any more. There are only different degrees of freedom left. NY has less than most but more than California.

That's just hope that we don't have to change the name of the forum to Pre Permenant Ban M4Carbine after the election.

JB-NY
08-27-08, 11:01
What is the difference (look wise) between a flash suppressor and a Compensator/brake. A guy who works at my gun shop said it's just a name that makes it legal in NY.

22_Shooter
08-27-08, 15:36
I think I should just get a pre-ban lower, so I can have all the toys and really piss off the liberal whack-o's in NY. Any idea's where I can get one and if 15 years later the lower is still GTG?

Pre-ban lowers go for about $600-$800, from what I've seen, so be prepared to drop some dough. You'd have to check auction sites and the like. The lower should be fine after 15 years. Make sure to check it out thoroughly, or ask for detailed pictures. If it wasn't horribly abused, it should be fine.

What is the difference (look wise) between a flash suppressor and a Compensator/brake. A guy who works at my gun shop said it's just a name that makes it legal in NY.

From all the things I've read, the best explanation I've seen is that a brake/compensator has an inner diameter almost the same size as the bore. As opposed to a flash hider, which the inner diameter is opened up quite a bit (like this - http://adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/VC-A1%20Flash%20Hider.jpg ). It's not just the name that makes them different. It's the function.

This has been classified as a non-flash suppressing device (eventhough it slightly does suppress flash), so it's legal in NY to have perm. attached to your barrel - http://adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.cfm?inventorynumber=2628 .

JB-NY
08-27-08, 15:45
Does it need to be perm attached in NY?
I have a compensator on my hi-point and it is removable, is it illegal?

Charles Daly is supposed to be coming out with a restricted state version of the LE. Instead of the A2 "birdcarge" suppressor it will have a Phantom 5c1. (not to mention fixed a stock, no bayo lug, 10rd mag)
I looked the 5c1 up and the description state it's a compensator/suppressor.:confused:

22_Shooter
08-27-08, 17:19
Does it need to be perm attached in NY?
I have a compensator on my hi-point and it is removable, is it illegal?

Charles Daly is supposed to be coming out with a restricted state version of the LE. Instead of the A2 "birdcarge" suppressor it will have a Phantom 5c1. (not to mention fixed a stock, no bayo lug, 10rd mag)
I looked the 5c1 up and the description state it's a compensator/suppressor.:confused:

Yes, any brake/comp needs to be permanently attached, per NYS laws, on a post-ban rifle.

As far as the 5c1, it might be like the one I linked to in my last post: The PWS FSC556 technically does suppress flash, a little bit. But the ATF has classified it as a "non-flash suppressing device", so it's good-to-go in NY. But don't take my word on the 5c1, I know nothing about it, or it's legality in NY.

Edit: Do you have a link to the info about the Charles Daly you're talking about?

JB-NY
08-27-08, 17:57
http://www.charlesdalyforum.com/showthread.php?t=109

hope this works.
If not go to the Charles Daly Forum.
Scoll down until you see CDD-15 rifles....
2nd last thread (on the page) is restricted states. There is a post from the president of the company with the specs for the "RS" models.

22_Shooter
08-28-08, 14:40
http://www.charlesdalyforum.com/showthread.php?t=109

hope this works.
If not go to the Charles Daly Forum.
Scoll down until you see CDD-15 rifles....
2nd last thread (on the page) is restricted states. There is a post from the president of the company with the specs for the "RS" models.

I dunno. You'd have to look more into that, to find out if it's considered a brake or flash hider. I've searched a little bit on it, and it appear to be a flash hider, with brake characteristics. YHM makes all the Phantom stuff, and on their site, it shows the 5m1 listed as "This is NOT a flash hider", so that would be a better, safer route, IMO. Here's the site: http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/muzzle.html .

Since you're a member on the Daly forum, I'd ask the big man himself about it.