PDA

View Full Version : Question for you Noveske Pig and KAK Flashcan owners

ABNAK
04-13-16, 20:37
They advertise to direct the sound and muzzle blast forward, away from the shooter. Now I realize they aren't suppressors or flash hiders, but as a shooter do you really get less "sound"? People to the side might not but what about the trigger-puller?

5.56mm I'd imagine is still an ear-ringer, especially from a short barrel. But how does a subsonic 300AAC sound to the shooter? Can you forgo hearing protection?

Tzook
04-13-16, 21:28
KAC doesn't make the Pig, Noveske does. And no, it doesn't reduce the sound signature.

ABNAK
04-14-16, 07:26
KAC doesn't make the Pig, Noveske does. And no, it doesn't reduce the sound signature.

My bad (should've known that). Corrected in title.

556BlackRifle
04-14-16, 09:47
It focuses the blast wave which makes it more pleasant for the shooter and anyone standing next to him but it doesn't suppress / reduce the sound. You still need hearing protection.

Nocaster
04-14-16, 09:49
They advertise to direct the sound and muzzle blast forward, away from the shooter. Now I realize they aren't suppressors or flash hiders, but as a shooter do you really get less "sound"? People to the side might not but what about the trigger-puller?

5.56mm I'd imagine is still an ear-ringer, especially from a short barrel. But how does a subsonic 300AAC sound to the shooter? Can you forgo hearing protection?
Sample size of one: I used to have a 7.5 inch 5.56 upper with a kx3. I then sold it to a friend who took off the kx3 and put on an A2. In my perception, it was louder (less comfortable)shooting with the A2 on a 75ft indoor range, but not dramatically so. However, that is while wearing passive ear muffs over ear plugs, so possibly just more concussion, rather than measurable decibels.

OK, I'm not actually sure if there is a scientific difference between sound and concussion.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

R0N
04-14-16, 09:49
I don't have any Noveske made ones but have some Bulgarians on AK shortys and a Barking Spider on a SBR and at least to me there is less noticeable muzzle blast and a reduction in the visible muzzle flash in both 7.62 and 5.56

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uffdaphil
04-14-16, 11:22
The KX pigs make a a big difference in concussion. I put the smaller KX5 on my 7.5" because it tucks inside the cut down KMR rail. Still loud, but not unpleasant to shoot and no complaints from others at range.

The Griffin blast deflector over taper mount is the best of both worlds. When the can is off I can shoot with bare brake/flash comp and thread on the deflector when needed. Too fat to fit inside a rail though.