PDA

View Full Version : Modern 10 gauge with exposed hammers?

Bluto
04-14-16, 11:57
This is a strange one... I am looking for a modern 10-gauge with exposed hammers. I've been on a short barrel shotgun kick lately and would like to find one to form 1 before the rule change. Every 10 gauge with exposed hammers I have found is a relic that I don't want to chop and/or risk running modern ammo through.

I've searched online, but my search skills seem week... Does such a beast exist?

GH41
04-14-16, 16:49
This is a strange one... I am looking for a modern 10-gauge with exposed hammers. I've been on a short barrel shotgun kick lately and would like to find one to form 1 before the rule change. Every 10 gauge with exposed hammers I have found is a relic that I don't want to chop and/or risk running modern ammo through.

I've searched online, but my search skills seem week... Does such a beast exist?

Have you ever fired a 10ga shotgun? You may as well SBS one of the old relics. I won't matter if it blows up. You will only shoot it one time anyway. Probably only one barrel one time. If you build one sharpen the break open lever razor sharp. A clean cut always heals faster.

titsonritz
04-14-16, 19:45
The 3 1/2" 12 gauge pretty much killed 10 gauge, most manufacturers have abandoned it entirely.

williejc
04-15-16, 00:09
I've owned two 10 gauges--Browning semi auto and Browning BPS pump. Both kicked like hell. I've own one 870 3i/2 inch 12 gauge, and it was the most brutally kicking firearm that I ever fired. It kicked more than the Win 458 magnum that I foolishly bought on impulse. But, to answer your question, to find an affordable 10 gauge double with hammers, you will have to locate one of several Spanish doubles made during the 1920s through the 1950s, and these will be chambered for the standard 27/8 inch shell and not the 31/2 inch magnum shell loaded today by ammo manufacturers. I've owned several short barrel 12 gauge doubles--with and without hammers--and all were extreme kickers because of their light weight.

One more thing. Years ago I had a Rossi 12 gauge hammer coach type shotgun and had the misfortune to have both barrels fire at the same time, or I should say within milliseconds of each other. Both hammers were cocked, and recoil from the first shot caused the second hammer to fall. Wow. Shooting shotguns in this category is a young man's game. Sometimes I think that firing this stuff over many years contributed to my ruined and useless right shoulder. Today I would not fire such cannons even if Eurodriver would give me one of his several belt fed machine guns.