PDA

View Full Version : M-Lok Handguard for first build

BRamberg
04-15-16, 16:54
Hi all. I am close to finishing my first build and first AR and would like some opinions on a low cost 15" M-Lok handguard. It will get mounted on an Aero upper over a 16" Faxon "gunner" barrel with an A2 falsh hider. I also plan on installing a low profile adjustable gas block. I will most likely mount BUIS instead of an optic. This will be range toy. I do not plan on hanging a bunch of stuff off of it, an angled fore grip or a vertical fore grip or something and that's it. I'm not sure if I want or need a full length rail along the top. As I said, this will be my first AR.

I have a "short list" that I put together that I would like your opinions on, please. If there are any others out there that I should consider or avoid please let me know. I'm trying to keep the cost of the handguard around $150.

ALG - EMR V1 M-Lok
ALG - EMR V2 M-Lok
ALG - EMR V3 M-Lok
Faxon - Steamline
Parallax Tactical - GEN/2 Free Float Super Slim Rail (FFSSR)
Parallax Tactical - PXTreme FFSSR M-LOK Special Free Float Super Slim Rail
Parallax Tactical - FFSSR LIGHTWEIGHT SERIES, M-LOK
UTG - PRO Model 4/15

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.
-Bob

Scrubber3
04-15-16, 17:55
The faxon and alg are the only ones I'd use. I wouldn't put utg anything on an actual real firearm.

I'm currently running a Midwest Industries lightweight Mlok and I'm pleased with it.

Brahmzy
04-15-16, 18:29
SMOS Arms GFY all day. Basically an MLOK NSR.

masakari
04-15-16, 18:38
If you're willing to drill and tap two screws holes in the side of the Midwest Industries MLOK rail to secure it, then I'd recommend that.

SomeOtherGuy
04-15-16, 19:50
ALG - EMR V1 M-Lok
ALG - EMR V2 M-Lok
ALG - EMR V3 M-Lok

ALG Defense EMR, V1 or V2. V2 has the benefit of a little rail at the front top, making it easier to mount a front sight there if you ever want to. The continuous top rail of the V3 isn't needed by most people.

The EMR is a well designed rail at a very reasonable price. For your purposes it's ideal, and probably tied with UTG for the lowest price.

If you're willing to drill and tap two screws holes in the side of the Midwest Industries MLOK rail to secure it, then I'd recommend that.

Why?

1) The EMR is a nice solid rail that costs less than the MI rail.
2) Some users have reported issues with the attachment of the MI rail (gen 2), why take a chance?
3) The gen 3 MI rail should fix all attachment issues, no need to modify a gen 3.
4) Sample of two but two gen 2 MI rails I've had in use have never come loose, without any glue between the nut and rail. (The clamping screws do have Vibratite applied.)

bad aim
04-15-16, 20:03
If for a budget build, I like the ALG. You get the pedigree of Geissele engineering and design at a fantastic price point.

cdmiller
04-15-16, 20:05
My best friend's rifle has one of the 13" Parallax Tactical rails on his 14.5". He prefers the 12.625" Midwest Industries G3 Lightweight M-LOK rail that I just installed on my 14.5" build. I like it so much I'm going to order a 15" version for the 16" 6.5 Grendel build I have planned. Valhalla Tactical has the best non-sale prices that I could find on them when I went looking. And FYI, the tap 2 screws thing the Masakari mentions above does not apply to the G3 rails.

All that said, if you want a rounder rail, you really can't go wrong with the ALG EMR based on the rifle of a LEO I know.

The American made UTG pros seem better than their normal crap when you handle them but I know of a local shop here in Houston that now refuses to build rifles with them because they kept having issues. They're not worth what little you might save.

I have no personal experience with the Faxon rails.

Beef15
04-15-16, 21:04
ALG V2, short rail for buis, solid, fairly light, I have large hands and prefer the diameter to my MI G2 SS. The MI is a good rail but exhibits obvious flex or movement in the mounting, not positive which, but it's very apparent out at the muzzle end.

.46caliber
04-15-16, 21:05
ALG's trick wrench makes timing the nut a no brainer. Instructions are clear and thorough. Attachment is solid. It has sold me on ALG and Geissele products. Bill and his crew turn out top notch products. My next rail will come from either of those companies

titsonritz
04-15-16, 21:07
The smart and stout barrel nut mounting on the ALG is hard to beat. I also like my light at 12 o'clock and want enough rail to accommodate a light as well as a front sight so the EMR V3 M-Lok would get my vote.

GH41
04-16-16, 08:18
"To build or buy
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Recently I've been considering building an AR15. Besides the personal satisfaction of building something, what are the advantages to building your own rifle? Can you save on the cost (always a plus)? What legal hoops have to be jumped through, registering, taxes, etc.? Any info would be a big help?

Thanks in advance,
Bob"

^^^^ Original posted 1-17-2009^^^^ This has to be a record for a well thought out build recipe!

BRamberg
04-16-16, 13:11
GH41,
I can't believe it either, but yes it has been that long. I have been building this "under the radar" for several years and with two kids in extremely expensive colleges, things had to wait until disposable funds became available. It became a low priority for a while. I have just recently gotten this project off of dead center and I am looking to finish it soon. Handguard, gas block and sights are all that remain. Should be ready by 2020 or so ;)

Thanks to every one for their input. I'm leaning towards the ALG - V2 M-Lok. I don't think I need the full top rail, it has the Giessele pedigree and it's in my price range.

Harlequin_Forest
04-18-16, 03:40
I figured the coming elections would be reason enough to complete the build :sarcastic:

FaxonNathan
04-18-16, 09:35
The faxon and alg are the only ones I'd use. I wouldn't put utg anything on an actual real firearm.

I'm currently running a Midwest Industries lightweight Mlok and I'm pleased with it.

Quite the compliment. Thank you!

If we can help, please let me know!

mx5rcr
04-19-16, 15:48
I have the ALG on my Colt 6920. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nedceifus
04-21-16, 07:24
Happy with Midwest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk