PDA

View Full Version : Freedom (group) in danger. Lawsuit vs Remington puts our Right in jeopardy

Kdubya
04-15-16, 21:08
EDIT: My apologies to the admins for possibly posting this in the wrong thread originally. I debated on whether to post it under the AR General Discussion, or here where it has now been moved. I guess the former was not correct and want to thank you for moving it to the proper section.

-----Begin Original Post-----

I'm surprised no one has yet posted on the story that broke yesterday regarding the civil suit against Remington. For those who haven't heard, a CT judge is allowing a suit to move forward that is seeking to allow firearm manufacturers to be held liable for the actions of an individual who just happened to use one of their firearms in the commission of a crime. The case at hand involves attorneys, likely funded by anti-gun groups like Moms Demand Action and Bloomberg, representing families of some victims of Sandy Hook. The families are suing Remington, alleging the firearm manufacturer should be held accountable for producing a firearm that was used in a crime. NOT that they knowingly sold it to criminal. Simply the act of having produced the rifle.

http://m.townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2016/04/14/not-good-connecticut-judge-rules-sandy-hook-families-lawsuit-against-remington-can-proceed-n2148700

This is outrageous! These progressives will stop at nothing to revoke our Right; using every backdoor tactic they can conjure up. I know Freedom Group, Remington and Bushmaster are some members favorite whipping boy, but the outcome could be devestating for EVERY manufacturer. I hope that all freedom loving patriots get behind Remington in this fight, regardless of how an individual personally feels about the quality of their product. If Remington loses here. We ALL lose. The Plaintiffs claim is largely based upon the irrational argument that our favorite black rifle serves no purpose for civilian use. That it's sole purpose is that of a killing machine which only belongs in the military. Unfortunately, there is little we can do to effect the outcome, aside from praying that reason will triumph.

So, what do you all think is going to happen? If the ruling eventually allows for citizens to sue a firearms company simply because they were the one to manufacture the tool, what will be the fallout? How many here are going to run out and buy a bunch of Lowers, Uppers, Mags, Ammo? Is this going to be worse than the scare back around 2012?

Frankly, I do not like the potential answers to any of these questions. All I know is we need to do whatever we can to try to back the Defense in this case. The implications of an unfavorable ruling could be truly catastrophic and irreversible.

HKGuns
04-15-16, 21:14
This has been going on for years and is the reason there is law on the books that protects them.

This is utterly meaningless. It just needs to make it to the right judge who actually follows the law.

titsonritz
04-15-16, 21:17
So just brush aside PLCAA (https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/s397)? It is not going to fly.

TomMcC
04-15-16, 21:18
In the end I hope Remington gets every dime in legal fees they had to waste on this nonsense.

VooDoo6Actual
04-15-16, 22:56
Risible for a known & proven false flag.

Alex V
04-16-16, 08:25
In the end I hope Remington gets every dime in legal fees they had to waste on this nonsense.

Lucky Gunner did following the lawsuit from the parents of a victim of the Co movie theater shooting.

mig1nc
04-16-16, 09:41
Lucky Gunner did following the lawsuit from the parents of a victim of the Co movie theater shooting.
Yeah, but my understanding is that the blokes that brought the suit are seeking bankruptcy protection and lucky gunner may never get their money back. Oh and the poor dope that brought the suit being tricked by the moms got left high and dry by Bloomberg.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-16-16, 11:26
Even the Grabbers point out that 11 ARs have been used in mass killings since 2000.

More muslims have killed more people than ARs, but the AR is never referred to as the 'Gun of Peace'....

How many ARs are there in the US????

The school teacher is more likely to sleep with you kid than be shot by an AR at school.

Suicides and gang violence are the major drivers of gun deaths and these twits are out hunting unicorns. Scratch that; it's even more rare, gay unicorns that vote Republican.

Moose-Knuckle
04-17-16, 02:58
If Hilary gets in she will train all her efforts on attacking the industry in this way.

"You eat an elephant one bite at a time."

_Stormin_
04-17-16, 07:34
Forgive my ignorance, but with the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, how is this even moving forward? Judge just plain ignoring the law?

mig1nc
04-17-16, 07:59
It's Connecticut...So yes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pilot1
04-17-16, 08:04
Yes, the judge is acting illegally, and ignoring the law. More, and more courts are now populated with far left, activist judges. They don't care about the law, they only care about their far left ideology. The ends justify the means to them.

dmaxfireman
04-17-16, 08:09
The lawsuit accuses the Remington Arms Co. and other defendants of negligently selling to civilians a weapon the plaintiffs claim is suitable only for the military and law enforcement.

...the lawsuit's claim of "negligent entrustment" is an exception to the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-sandy-hook-gun-lawsuit-dismissal-denied-20160414-story.html

GO_ALLOUT
04-17-16, 08:39
Yes, the judge is acting illegally, and ignoring the law. More, and more courts are now populated with far left, activist judges. They don't care about the law, they only care about their far left ideology. The ends justify the means to them.

That judge should be removed from the bench for even allowing this to go on. It's a waste of everyone's time and money for this to even be considered. Makes me sick...

Alex V
04-17-16, 10:50
About 12 years ago a buddy of my died when he wrapped his Vette around a pole. This would be like his family suing GM because Corvettes should only be sold to people who are race car drivers for a living.

Judge needs to be removed for sure.

HackerF15E
04-17-16, 10:54
That judge should be removed from the bench for even allowing this to go on. It's a waste of everyone's time and money for this to even be considered. Makes me sick...

From a procedural standpoint, the judge's ruling is correct. That "waste of time and money" is called following the law.

This ruling had nothing to do with validity of the PLCAA, or if the case will win if/when it does go to trial because of the PLCAA, but had to do with this specific motion to dismiss for this specific reason. Just because we all know that the case will ultimately lose because of the PLCAA doesn't mean that this Judge is an idiot for ruling on this particular motion this way. The ruling just says that they are going to be allowed to argue the exception to the PLCAA, and has no opinion on the validity of that argument.

Certainly we all believe in the rule of law, and that a core component of a society anchored in rule of law is correctly following legal procedure. Given that, outside of ignorance about the specifics of this particular ruling (as in, didn't read what the actual ruling was, nor understand the specific reason the Judge ruled as she did), I don't understand the bluster from folks on many different firearms forums I read.

rocsteady
04-17-16, 13:38
I think this is so utterly ridiculous. Apply the same theory to any other death: sue Ginsu because someone gets stabbed; Ford or Chevy when vehicle hits and kills a person; Budweiser in a DUI death, the company that supplies the aluminum for the can, the farmer who grew the hops; Poland Spring et al when someone drowns; all instruments of untold death and destruction that take many, many times more deaths than firearms.

I think this lawsuit fails my "ten year old test" miserably. If an average ten year old would hear the facts and reason that the idea is ludicrous, then it's probably something that should be left and forgotten...like giving money to Iran for example or bringing in thousands of Syrians while thousands of veterans are homeless, even considering Hillary of Bernie for president, and on and on. I believe, "can't make this shit up" covers it as well.

IIRC, the residents of Newtown voted down a new budget that would have allowed for security in the schools to protect their children from something like that ever happening again. But they're ready to sue gun manufacturers like this. I just don't get it

30 cal slut
10-14-16, 16:54
Just hit the wite

Business_Casual
10-14-16, 17:00
That judge clearly didn't get the memo that it isn't the law that matters, it is how people feel about scary things.

30 cal slut
10-14-16, 17:26
straight from communist central

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-sandy-hook-parents-lawsuit-dismissed-20161014-story.html

Alex V
10-14-16, 17:42
I hope Remington sues the families and makes they pay all their legal fees. These jerkoffs are just trying to get money, standing on kids' graves. Pathetic.

JC5188
10-14-16, 18:48
How long until we just sue for anything...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161014/ec1fb2cebb080734630d3d07eb347455.jpg

I mean, stats are stats.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moose-Knuckle
10-15-16, 01:42
Some good news for the industry for a change.

SteyrAUG
10-15-16, 02:34
I hope Remington sues the families and makes they pay all their legal fees. These jerkoffs are just trying to get money, standing on kids' graves. Pathetic.

I feel bad about what happened to those people, I can almost understand their misguided attempts to do something positive about their tragedy, but at the same time I think they need to be held accountable for trying to harm people who had nothing to do with the tragedy.

TF82
10-15-16, 11:40
From a procedural standpoint, the judge's ruling is correct. That "waste of time and money" is called following the law.

This ruling had nothing to do with validity of the PLCAA, or if the case will win if/when it does go to trial because of the PLCAA, but had to do with this specific motion to dismiss for this specific reason. Just because we all know that the case will ultimately lose because of the PLCAA doesn't mean that this Judge is an idiot for ruling on this particular motion this way. The ruling just says that they are going to be allowed to argue the exception to the PLCAA, and has no opinion on the validity of that argument.

Certainly we all believe in the rule of law, and that a core component of a society anchored in rule of law is correctly following legal procedure. Given that, outside of ignorance about the specifics of this particular ruling (as in, didn't read what the actual ruling was, nor understand the specific reason the Judge ruled as she did), I don't understand the bluster from folks on many different firearms forums I read.

Wait, several months ago you didn't just look at a headline and immediately lose your shit and now it turns out that you were 100% correct? How did you end up on the internet?

Pilot1
10-15-16, 12:40
I feel bad about what happened to those people, I can almost understand their misguided attempts to do something positive about their tragedy, but at the same time I think they need to be held accountable for trying to harm people who had nothing to do with the tragedy.

This is not uncommon. Often people try to drown their sorrow in a cause with more gun control laws being their new mission in life. Gabby Giffords, and her husband, the entire Brady family, and many other family members of victims use it somewhat as a way to heal, and often make money with 501c3's.

Alex V
10-15-16, 13:59

I don't think this was even the victims parents' idea. I can only imagine how many lawyers drove out there before the blood was even dry seeing dollar signs. 33% of a huge settlement in the eyes of people who more than likely already sold their souls is a big motivating factor. They started whispering into those peoples years before they ever considered a litigation on their own.