PDA

View Full Version : College commencement in military uniform...

Eurodriver
04-16-16, 13:02
Settled by sinister below.

You are graduating from a large public university with a graduate degree. Almost all of the folks wearing service uniforms during graduation are undergraduates who have just sworn in as commissioned officers having completed ROTC/PLC at the university or are 45 year old retired SNCOs finally getting their first degree. You are neither, have done nothing affiliated with the USMC at that university, and will be attending a separate graduation ceremony as a graduate student anyway. You are liked at school among faculty and students but only a handful have any idea you served.

Would you wear your uniform at commencement?

P.S. You'd save $$$ in regalia fees, but spend several hours getting your shit pressed, measurements correct, and have to get a haircut.

El Cid
04-16-16, 13:08
I wouldn't but I was AF. Our uniforms are not in the same league as Marine dress blues. Lol! I say go for it. Especially if you have blood stripes. Leave the saber at home though unless it's a conservative university. Hate to see you on CNN because some hippie was scared by a "sword."

Firefly
04-16-16, 13:14
It's your day. Deep down you know what you're going to do already.

Myself I had to be dragged essentially to college graduation. I just wore a collared shirt, tie, and slacks underneath my cap and gown

It was a pretty empty and hollow procession. But eating out with chums was the more memorable part.

Maybe when/if I go back to do something else/better with my life I may be more sentimental but I was pretty young and going through a "whatever" phase.

So you'll appreciate it more no matter what.

KalashniKEV
04-16-16, 13:30
Aren't you completely out?

Why would you show up wearing a uniform? For what reason?

docsherm
04-16-16, 13:36
I walked for my first Masters while I was still on active duty. I did not wear my uniform. My university has special regaila for veterans that they provide at no cost. If it had been a military program or in any way affiliated with the military I would have worn my uniform. But it was not.

Eurodriver
04-16-16, 14:00
Aren't you completely out?

Why would you show up wearing a uniform? For what reason?

Homie, this is hypothetical and in all seriousness - I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on the matter. I have no opinion whatsoever and if you are genuinely asking me why one would show up to a college graduation in a uniform I would probably say something along the lines of what is in Koshinn's signature... but I didn't want to corrupt the thread by putting that in the OP

sinister
04-16-16, 14:18
Marine Corps regs and policy:

Veterans. Former members of the Marine Corps who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions (this means an honorable or general discharge) may wear the uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only upon the following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:

(1) Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.

(2) Parades on national or state holidays; or other parades or ceremonies or a patriotic character in which any active or reserve United States military unit is taking part.

Former Marines who are discharged honorably or under honorable conditions from the Marine Corps (even if it's not during wartime service) may wear their uniform while going from the place of discharge to their home of record, within three months after discharge.

Wearing of the uniform or any part thereof at any other time or for any purpose is prohibited.

Unrelated, our distinguished Secretary of State during Congressional testimony:

Eurodriver
04-16-16, 14:20
I suppose the applicable MCOs would have been the appropriate place to start with a question of this nature.

We can shut this down now. :nono:

OH58D
04-16-16, 14:27
Just for reference, I commissioned at age 20 under an early commissioning program via college ROTC. When I graduated two years later, I did not wear the uniform, and just went to the ceremonies in cap and gown. Pretty clear regs for former military and retired for wear of the uniform after active service. BTW, thanks for your service!!!

KalashniKEV
04-16-16, 15:04
I suppose the applicable MCOs would have been the appropriate place to start with a question of this nature.

That's kind of where I was going, but wasn't going to look up your 670-1 thing.

When I attended my graduation ceremony, on active duty, I wore normal people clothes.

26 Inf
04-16-16, 15:33
I'm not big on ceremonies. I went to my Honors Ceremony, but that was not gowns at my University. I've gone to all of my wife's ceremonies, the Graduate Degree Ceremonies were a big deal to her, so I went. My transcript is all I ever needed to be happy.

IMO, unless you are ROTC or Active, it is more appropriate to wear the school's regalia, but that is just me.

Aside from that, I don't think it is allowed:

3.2. Former members of the Armed Forces, unless under another provision of this Instruction or under the terms of Section 772 of title 10, United States Code (reference (d)), who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions may wear the uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only on the following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:

3.2.1. Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.

3.2.2. Parades on National or State holidays; or other parades or ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any Active or Reserve United States military unit is taking part.

3.2.3. Wearing of the uniform or any part thereof at any other time or for any other purposes is prohibited.

Here is the Marine Corps Reg:

http://www.mclfl.org/JudgeAdvocate/JudgeAdvocate-ClipArt/MC-UNIFORM-REG/MARINE_CORPS_UNIFORM_REGULATIONS.pdf

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-16-16, 17:05
My uniform was for when I was on active duty. I wear suits now. No need to draw that attention to myself and have to explain that I was a corporal 4 years ago...

SeriousStudent
04-16-16, 19:49
Closed per OP's request.

Hank6046
04-17-16, 08:39
[/B]Would you wear your uniform at commencement?

No, I don't think I would. I have a little USMC +American flag Pin I might put on a nice suit. I have an EGA sticker on my truck and might one day get that Tattoo, but I show people I am a Marine by my professionalism and my work ethic. I'd pull out my Dress Blues for a fellow Marines funeral. I would wear the uniform to honor the corps, not to show honor on myself. I hope I come across clearly, I wouldn't really have a problem if you did either way, but I wouldn't personally.

-Disregard, I see the following posts