PDA

View Full Version : Cracking Winchester .30-30 Brass

DCASTLE
04-16-16, 21:37
My father has been having trouble with his Marlin .30-30. Last time I was home, we fired it and found a ridiculous difference in POI between Winchester Super X 170gr Power-Point and Hornady LeveRevolution 160gr FTX. The Hornady was hitting 10" to the right. We tried again today and saw the same results, but noticed that every one of the fired Winchester cases were cracked. My dad then informed me that he had noticed the cracks on the casings we'd fired before. Two short, parallel cracks on the right side of the neck. The Winchester ammo is probably five or so years old. There were no cracks or deformities in the Hornady cases. Should we chalk this up to old ammo? A bad lot of brass from Winchester? If it is just a case of bad ammo, could this account for the drastic difference in POI?

mark5pt56
04-17-16, 06:15
So, no cracks on the Hornady cases? Are you sure the Winchester isn't reloaded, many times over and the brass is now work hardened?

DCASTLE
04-17-16, 07:06
The Winchester should be unfired unless the company is reloading fired brass and selling it as new.

mark5pt56
04-18-16, 10:29
Ok, I advise to have a smith inspect the chamber and bore to be safe.

lowprone
04-22-16, 12:22
I had one of those Winchester Canadian Centennials, the long barrel one.
It had excessive headspace straight from the factory, and that is saying
something with the 30.30.
Anyway I just kept shooting it until, somebody else wanted it more than me.
Reload anything from it ? Fuggetaboutit.