PDA

View Full Version : Current Aero Precision Quality?

Jellybean
04-17-16, 13:14
Thinking about possibly putting together a spare rifle before Nov. hits. :rolleyes:
I have heard in past that Aero is GTG, and they are also about as low down the "cheap Vs quality tree that I'm willing to go (aside from maybe Spikes, and frankly... I like Aero's stuff better).

However.... I was reading some threads here around the 2014/15 or thereabouts mark, and some folks were mentioning occasional out of spec issues with some of their lowers, and less than awesome CS in getting it resolved.

As of today, 2016- would you buy from Aero with confidence?

I'm looking to (eventually) get one of the complete barreled M4E1 uppers w/ 12" rail, and either a stripped or complete lower, also by Aero.
(BCG and CH will likely be BCM)

TacticalMark
04-17-16, 14:26
For 2014/2015 my small sample size of 4 stripped lowers and 2 stripped uppers were fine and in spec. Also my M5 .308 set seems to be good so far. They are a good value for stripped lowers/uppers. Small parts and barrels from Aero I have no experience with.

klawson
04-17-16, 16:17
I have experience with Aero lowers, uppers, BCG, M-lok handguards and barrels. Everything has been great so far.

_Stormin_
04-17-16, 18:31
Only experience is with lowers. The four I have assembled have all been in spec and without any noticeable flaws.

9mm_shooter
04-17-16, 19:26
I got a 308 in late 2014 that had a firing pin retaining pin that seemed a little too long to me, but worked. I made a phone call and they sent me a new pin in the mail. No hassles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Range Trigger Monkey
04-17-16, 19:39
I have nothing but good things to say about my Aero Precision lower. USGI, Lancer, and Magpul mags fall free, I didn't have any fitment issues when I was putting it together, and my BCM blem upper fits pretty good on top with minimal wiggle.

rondooley
04-17-16, 19:52
2 out of 4 stripped lowers were not in spec, being way too narrow and safety having a huge gap. The other two were very nice. Emails to Aero went unanswered

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jbjh
04-17-16, 23:25
I've got two inbound, I'll let you know when you get in, but the ones I've handled were nice.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Jimmy

ColtSeavers
04-17-16, 23:41
Voted Aero is GTG but wanted to explain my experience with them. I have used two of their uppers and they for all intents and purposes exact matches to my BCM M4 upper from fit and finish, to undersized barrel extension while being ~$30 cheaper.

No experience with their lowers or other parts.

jester556
04-18-16, 10:05
I bought two lowers and both had serious problems allowing a loaded mag to drop free. Also a friend of mine had the same problem with his. All three lowers we tried a loaded mag drop test with multiple mags... pmag, emag, gi, and hex and they all failed. So we stripped the lowers thinking maybe the mag release was junk and still had the same problem. Aero is junk IMO

boombotz401
04-18-16, 10:50
I just built an upper with aero receiver

Everything was in spec and fit nice, I've never had an issue with anything aero precision

nova3930
04-18-16, 13:20
I bought a 300BLK upper from them and it's been GTG.

Berserkr556
04-18-16, 14:56
I haven't bought anything from Aero recently but a couple lowers I bought two years ago were out of spec. I sent them back and got a refund but It took awhile before someone got back to me. I won't buy anything from them again. I steer clear of Aero, Anderson and any polymer lowers.

1BallJ
04-18-16, 16:55
Initially in 2015 I bought a COP upper. After having to replace it four times because the rail panels wouldn't fit correctly I finally settled for one that the panels fit decently but not anything like 'Precision' machining. I am unsure if I will ever buy from them again. That's two Wa. State companies that have disappointed me.

Benito
04-18-16, 18:43
The three stripped lowers I built up off of were in spec. I have another to that have yet to be built/assembled, so we will see. The feedback I have read here and elsewhere does not give me a lot of confidence in their other parts. A lower is pretty hard to mess up. Barrels, BCGs, etc. are something else.
I hope their purchase of Ballistic Advantage didn't gum up the works there, as my next builds will be using their barrel and BCG.

gunf1ghter
04-19-16, 15:59
I voted good to go but now I want to change my vote.

I have a forged Aero lower that was built recently. I had a Geissele trigger group in it, but sold that and went to put a drop in POF trigger in. Prior to buying the POF trigger I had SBRd this lower.

OMFG. It was almost impossible to get that trigger installed (10 minute job took 2 hours). It appears that the forward trigger housing is slightly out of spec. I talked to the POF guys and they indicated that a lot of manufacturers have recently been switching the front radius inside of the trigger housing and cutting it down by 1/8 from where it would normally be on a mil spec unit. It won't affect the fit of a military two piece trigger group but will cause drop in units to be too tight in many cases.

I did ultimately get the trigger installed by doing some interesting tricks, not sure if I'll ever get it out again without destroying the lower.

No more Aero Precision for me. I have two Spike's lowers I also put these POF drop ins into and I never had problems with either of them.

j-ro
04-20-16, 08:32
I have an upper, lower, BCG and charging handle . Everything is great. Their technical service department is sometimes spotty.

Norman
04-20-16, 08:51
I bought a complete upper and BCG from them. Stainless 1:8 barrel, 15" M-lok. Using a 1-6 Vortex, 5 shot groups with quality ammo are right at 1 MOA. No issues with anything. I would buy from them again.

Jim D
04-20-16, 14:06
I've had a few upper receivers from them for builds, a lower, their enhanced upper receiver and rail combo, and a 10.5" barrel. All have been excellent in terms of function, dimensions, finish, accuracy, and delivery. A few friends I've done builds for have used their components with equal success as well.

My 10.5" barrel runs suppressed and unsuppressed without any need for a fancy gas block, buffer weight swapping, or aftermarket bolt carriers. Accuracy has been great, but I haven't benched it with glass and match ammo to really see how tight it will shoot.

I see no reason to buy other components these days, and their complete rifles look like a steal.

Sanford02
04-20-16, 15:36
Initially in 2015 I bought a COP upper. After having to replace it four times because the rail panels wouldn't fit correctly I finally settled for one that the panels fit decently but not anything like 'Precision' machining. I am unsure if I will ever buy from them again. That's two Wa. State companies that have disappointed me.

What's the other WA company that disappointed you?

BCMNick
04-20-16, 15:40
I had an AERO matching OD stripped upper and stripped lower, the upper was fine, the lower however was not. The pivot and take down holes did not line up, and a kinda difficult time dropping the mag. I bought it from my buddies FFL, he emailed them and they told him that the customer had contact them. Sent them the receiver set and two months later I got a new set...I ended up going with s spikes receiver set while waiting...

colt933
04-20-16, 16:34

I have a forged Aero lower that was built recently. I had a Geissele trigger group in it, but sold that and went to put a drop in POF trigger in. Prior to buying the POF trigger I had SBRd this lower.

OMFG. It was almost impossible to get that trigger installed (10 minute job took 2 hours). It appears that the forward trigger housing is slightly out of spec. I talked to the POF guys and they indicated that a lot of manufacturers have recently been switching the front radius inside of the trigger housing and cutting it down by 1/8 from where it would normally be on a mil spec unit. It won't affect the fit of a military two piece trigger group but will cause drop in units to be too tight in many cases.

I've had similar experience with more than one recent forged lower that would not accept the cassette/one-piece type trigger modules but will accept stand trigger groups.

boombotz401
04-20-16, 16:41
IIRC aero also makes spikes uppers/lowers so I'd say there g2g

AKDoug
04-20-16, 17:04

I did ultimately get the trigger installed by doing some interesting tricks, not sure if I'll ever get it out again without destroying the lower.

No more Aero Precision for me. I have two Spike's lowers I also put these POF drop ins into and I never had problems with either of them. Interesting. The only machine drawings I have found are these http://www.firearmfiles.com/files/AR15/AR15%20Lower%20Machine%20Drawing.pdf To the best of my calipers (and mine) ability I have just measured 6 newly purchased lowers directly from Aero (I'm an FFL). I cannot find where you are talking about the radius in question.

The only issue I have found is a centering issue on the forging. I have also found this on lowers from D.D., BCM and Colt, so I don't consider it much of an issue.

1BallJ
04-20-16, 18:59
What's the other WA company that disappointed you?

Rainier Arms. Lets hope it's the last.

Harlequin_Forest
04-20-16, 22:51
I've got one of their mounts. Pretty clean

556BlackRifle
04-20-16, 23:54
Rainier Arms. Lets hope it's the last.

May I ask what the problem was?

1BallJ
04-21-16, 15:04
Sure, send me a PM.

556BlackRifle
04-21-16, 20:02
Sure, send me a PM.

Done....

Slvr Surfr
04-24-16, 12:38
I won't be buying anything from them anytime soon. I really liked their receiver sets when that was all that they made. I've built at least two 5.56 upper/lowers combo's and one M5 receiver set. They make good receiver sets, but everything else is left to be desired. I told a friend to look into a brand new OEM rifle from AP, and I spent a good 30 minutes replacing things that should have never left the factory. They don't dimple their barrels, even when they know people will be using a low pro gas block that they supply with the rifle. On their 5.56 bolt carrier groups they don't include a rubber insert in the extractor spring.

Just too many short cuts and not enough support to take care of customers when they have issues. You can do a search on this forum and find plenty of results. I think they are trying to expand their operation quickly and sacrificing quality and service. I think they really need to focus on the basics of building things right. Just my 2 cents. I would be willing to give them a second chance if they can get their stuff together.

docsherm
04-24-16, 13:45
I have a bunch of their stuff. Several Lowers and they have all been to SPEC. Good items at a good price.

TNW
04-24-16, 21:16
Good barrel and upper. Doesn't like .223 though!

titsonritz
04-24-16, 23:24
Good barrel and upper. Doesn't like .223 though!

Hmmm, that doesn't sound all that great to me :blink:

AKDoug
04-25-16, 01:04
Hmmm, that doesn't sound all that great to me :blink:

All depends on the quality of the .223. Lots of rifles, when gassed properly for 5.56, have trouble with cheap .223

titsonritz
04-25-16, 01:15
All depends on the quality of the .223. Lots of rifles, when gassed properly for 5.56, have trouble with cheap .223

My 6920 chews through PMC Bronze, Wolf Gold and Tula .223, how much cheaper does it have to be?

Iraqgunz
04-25-16, 03:21
I just did a private class in DFW area. Both rifles had less than desirable stakings on the carrier (screws came loose with little effort when I put the tool on there) and both bolts had extractor springs missing the extractor spring insert (but yet they put an O-ring) on there.

The other issue was lack of H buffers.

I won't be buying anything from them anytime soon. I really liked their receiver sets when that was all that they made. I've built at least two 5.56 upper/lowers combo's and one M5 receiver set. They make good receiver sets, but everything else is left to be desired. I told a friend to look into a brand new OEM rifle from AP, and I spent a good 30 minutes replacing things that should have never left the factory. They don't dimple their barrels, even when they know people will be using a low pro gas block that they supply with the rifle. On their 5.56 bolt carrier groups they don't include a rubber insert in the extractor spring.

Just too many short cuts and not enough support to take care of customers when they have issues. You can do a search on this forum and find plenty of results. I think they are trying to expand their operation quickly and sacrificing quality and service. I think they really need to focus on the basics of building things right. Just my 2 cents. I would be willing to give them a second chance if they can get their stuff together.

bob6117
04-25-16, 08:07
I bought a upper / handguard combo.
The screw holes in the handguard were slightly off center with the attach point on the receiver.
We could barely get the screws started.
This was my only experience , I would be willing to try them again.

SLewis
04-25-16, 09:05
The stripped lowers I have used from them and have seen have all been good.
As far as upper receiver groups go, I'd rather use parts from BCM and the like, just because I know there are no questions of their quality.

AKDoug
04-25-16, 14:47
My 6920 chews through PMC Bronze, Wolf Gold and Tula .223, how much cheaper does it have to be?

When a rifle is designed/spec'd for 5.56 and won't shoot .223 reliably, I don't consider that an issue. Daniel Defense admits they run larger gas ports so we can shoot cheaper ammo, that actually makes them out of spec too. At current prices I would not consider an Aero rifle over a 6920. I, however, have zero issues with their stripped lowers and uppers.

themonk
04-25-16, 16:06
My issue with Aero is if you have an issue you are SOL. There are too many great companies out there that will sell you an outstanding AR that back up what they sell. Unless they have something only they make and you must have, I would look elsewhere.

JohnnyRambo
05-05-16, 22:29
Just ordered a m5 receiver set today. Hoping for the best.

TheNegativeOne
05-10-16, 11:24
I remember when it was the abc's rule as far as Ar's go. Armalite, bushmaster, colt.

Dr Tran
05-10-16, 21:19
I'd like one of their lowers with the old-school logo.

JohnnyRambo
05-13-16, 17:42
Update on my recent Aero Precision experience. I just received a M5 308 Receiver Set and a 308 Phosphate Bolt Carrier Group.

And to top it off I got a Ballistic Advantage 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel 20" that will not chamber rounds and was not cut properly at the muzzle shoulder to allow a crush washer to seat properly. Now I remember why I don't build AR10's anymore...

308 BOLT CARRIER GROUP (PHOSPHATE) -
The bolt carrier and cam appear new but the bolt itself is another story. It's pitted and possibly even used as there is evidence of carbon residue on it still. I have never seen anything so ugly. When I called AP to get help they offered to send a replacement. They said they do not inspect the bolts before they ship them to distributors and they are from a 3rd party. But they put their name on them so they might want to consider some quality control. I purchased this directly from a major distributor. It has not been fired, this is exactly how I received it. When I opened the package I immediately went to reciprocate the bolt and found it to be stuck. It took 3 people to finally man hand the thing loose.

M5 308 RECEIVER SET -
The receiver set has a nice finish but the mating is very sloppy (with both hinge pins installed) and not acceptable for a precision rifle build. I tried using the tension screw but it created such a huge gap at the back it would have caused issues with the bolt and the gap was substantial. Also it made it extremely difficult to push the pin out obviously. So I took them apart back to stripped receivers and will be selling the set for $300 shipped to anyone who wants it. Good for a battle rifle, not for what I am building though.

Here are some pics of the bolt itself:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/JohnnyRambo10/aerobad10_zpsijetpyrc.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyRambo10/media/aerobad10_zpsijetpyrc.jpg.html)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/JohnnyRambo10/extractor_zpspmwkov0q.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyRambo10/media/extractor_zpspmwkov0q.jpg.html)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/JohnnyRambo10/Aerobad1_zps3dgga4gj.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyRambo10/media/Aerobad1_zps3dgga4gj.jpg.html)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/JohnnyRambo10/aerobad3_zpsundxayou.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyRambo10/media/aerobad3_zpsundxayou.jpg.html)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/JohnnyRambo10/aerobad5_zpsrwbhjhgg.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyRambo10/media/aerobad5_zpsrwbhjhgg.jpg.html)

rpm2010
05-20-16, 16:43
I purchased two AC-15M (Mid Length) through Brownell's at what I thought was a good deal ($599.00), and both came in excellent condition.

jurassic
05-21-16, 06:02

No more Aero Precision for me. I have two Spike's lowers I also put these POF drop ins into and I never had problems with either of them.

I had this problem with a Timney trigger also, except I could not get it to fit. They replaced the lower without much hassle.

jbjh
05-28-16, 01:47
Finally picked up a couple of lowers (blem) that I ordered a while back
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jbjhill/For%20Sales/Aero%20Lowers/IMG_2443_2_zpsbvy1o4lo.jpg (http://s790.photobucket.com/user/jbjhill/media/For%20Sales/Aero%20Lowers/IMG_2443_2_zpsbvy1o4lo.jpg.html)
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jbjhill/For%20Sales/Aero%20Lowers/IMG_2441_zpsufpcz5qs.jpg (http://s790.photobucket.com/user/jbjhill/media/For%20Sales/Aero%20Lowers/IMG_2441_zpsufpcz5qs.jpg.html)

Here's the blem I found on one (the other is just a regular lower)
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jbjhill/For%20Sales/Aero%20Lowers/IMG_2442_zpshcgghro0.jpg (http://s790.photobucket.com/user/jbjhill/media/For%20Sales/Aero%20Lowers/IMG_2442_zpshcgghro0.jpg.html)

When I get my LPKs in, I'll report on any fitment issues, but I'm pretty happy so far.

Jellybean
05-29-16, 21:18
[B]Update on my recent Aero Precision experience. I just received a M5 308 Receiver Set and a 308 Phosphate Bolt Carrier Group.....

Damn, if I had your first set of issues, let alone these new ones, I would have rage quit and pitched that stuff at the nearest trash bin. :laugh:
I just don'have the patience to work through that many issues anymore.

In other news, per my original, I found a decent deal on a DD upper on the EE here, so... moving on in that direction.
Good to see everyone's info here though.

drago6
05-31-16, 10:53
have a ton of their products, lowers, uppers, handguards, barrels, scope mounts, BCG

all are excellent quality and have had zero problems with them

zecropper
06-01-16, 22:08
Gonna keep an eye on this. They are building my M4E1 currently. Should be done about next week.

My buddy has a few of their products and I've heard nothing but good things about them as of late from anyone I've talked to

Five5six
06-01-16, 23:35
Just bought an aero lower about 4 weeks and it was gtg, no blems nor problems.

CMP
06-02-16, 07:12
My only issue with the three I bought were none of them liked my green Magpul magazines, ( difficult to insert and wouldn't drop free), black Magpuls, USGI, and H&Ks were no problem.

556BlackRifle
06-02-16, 09:52
My only issue with the three I bought were none of them liked my green Magpul magazines, ( difficult to insert and wouldn't drop free), black Magpuls, USGI, and H&Ks were no problem.

Wow. That's interesting. So there must be some slight dimensional differences between the black and green P-Mags? It would be interesting to see how these mags behaved in other brands of lowers.

CMP
06-04-16, 20:08
They worked fine in every M4 I was issued as well as all my other lowers (BCM, LMT, Sig, and Anderson).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

drago6
06-05-16, 11:52

hmm thats weird. mine have no problem with magpul (black & fde), lancer, g.i. steel, or ets

PrevailFI
06-06-16, 08:05
CMP, any chance you've had your green PMags a long time - maybe left loaded? Consensus seems to be the colored (not sand)ones seem to be somewhat less robust. Wonder if they have "swollen" a bit?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CMP
06-10-16, 09:52
CMP, any chance you've had your green PMags a long time - maybe left loaded? Consensus seems to be the colored (not sand)ones seem to be somewhat less robust. Wonder if they have "swollen" a bit?

I've had them since 08, they were loaded for a year+ twice during two different deployments.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

zecropper
06-24-16, 10:37
So I got my rifle from Aero in, an M4E1 model. Very impressed. Receivers fit together very well, very little to no mag wobble with the PMAGs and even a steel colt mag I use. Put about 200 rounds through it on Tuesday. No malfunctions and it shot very well especially with the Vg6 Gamma brake I put on it. It's just waiting on a Vortex Viper 1-4 to top it off

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160624/6a8a4e70d78e1a78152a7fa0dd5acec0.jpg

RHINOWSO
10-14-16, 13:47
Just to add my experience.

I assembled an Aero lower myself (no issues) and purchased one of the complete Midlength uppers w/BCG & CH a couple of months ago, when they had them on sale for $349 shipped.

I only have 50 rounds through it for a quick function check and zero the M4s I have on it - worked fine with no issues using Prvi M193 and some Danish M855.

The stakes on the gas key are not as visually dimpled, however I couldn't unscrew either bolts with a good amount of force (didn't want to break my bit driver).

The only thing to be concerned about is the extractor spring didn't have the proper style o-ring, instead it had a larger rubber o-ring that went around the spring instead of inside it. I didn't check it before I shot it the first time, however I replaced the spring and put the proper o-ring piece in.

So far I like it for a cheap GP rifle to let friends / family use -

3M-TA3
10-14-16, 14:04
I've used their uppers and lowers in my builds and they have been perfect. Would and will use AP again and would buy their rifles, though would check and re-torque all critical areas same as with any other manufacturer.

PrevailFI
10-17-16, 10:20
An AP stripped lower is as good as anyone's basic forged lower.

D_M
10-17-16, 10:25
Just put this pistol together on Saturday. Aero Upper and Lower were bought separately at different vendors. Without having to adjust the nylon lug screw, the upper and lower fit like a matched set. Used CMMG and Ballistic Advantage parts without a single issue.

Aero is GTG.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5573/30229180492_5e2c16f27a_b.jpg

gunnut12
11-13-16, 08:31
I bought a upper / handguard combo.
The screw holes in the handguard were slightly off center with the attach point on the receiver.
We could barely get the screws started.
This was my only experience , I would be willing to try them again.

This happened to me too, except it was so bad I couldn't even get all the screws started. Contacted the vendor who in turn contacted Aero, and aero told them that it was user error. Unbelievable. The vendor took care of me though, sent me a new handguard which did the same thing so he sent me a new upper receiver. With the new receiver the holes lined right up. He said this rarely happens. I mean I get everyone has at least some QC issues but it really bugged me how aero responded and just blamed me. I mean, aside from running the coutersunk scew in all the way down before starting the others (which shouldn't even be an issue if it is machined correctly) there isn't any room for user error. There's 8 machine scews you tighten. That's it. It's not rocket science.

themonk
11-13-16, 19:36
This happened to me too, except it was so bad I couldn't even get all the screws started. Contacted the vendor who in turn contacted Aero, and aero told them that it was user error. Unbelievable. The vendor took care of me though, sent me a new handguard which did the same thing so he sent me a new upper receiver. With the new receiver the holes lined right up. He said this rarely happens. I mean I get everyone has at least some QC issues but it really bugged me how aero responded and just blamed me. I mean, aside from running the coutersunk scew in all the way down before starting the others (which shouldn't even be an issue if it is machined correctly) there isn't any room for user error. There's 8 machine scews you tighten. That's it. It's not rocket science.

At the end of the day, if you need it, it all comes down to CS and in my experience their's is nonexistent.

Cane55
11-15-16, 07:55

I bought 3 Aero stripped lowers last month as an investment (yes I was worried Hillary would be elected). I hope they all work and are in spec. I haven't built them yet, but they all look good.

D_M
11-15-16, 08:02
I bought 3 Aero stripped lowers last month as an investment (yes I was worried Hillary would be elected). I hope they all work and are in spec. I haven't built them yet, but they all look good.

If you match them with Aero Uppers, you will be very pleased. All of the Aero Lowers that I have built have mated to an Aero Upper like they were a matched set.

RHINOWSO
11-15-16, 16:50
I had to return a AP lower for an out of spec magazines well. Tested and worked with aluminum 30s, but after I built it and tried 20s, they were a bitch to remove.

It's back at AP at the time being - my lesson learned it check more than one type of magazine with a lower before building.

My favorite lower by far is Mega.

mballz23
11-16-16, 01:12
Hmmm thats disconcerting... I have an AP lower thats been sitting in my safe that I'm assembling next week and mating to a BCM complete upper.... Hoping it's in spec, will report back.

ace4059
11-16-16, 01:41
I had to raise hell for AP customer service to take care of my 308. It was a terrible experience. The gun was a lemon and it took a few months for them to fix it. It's not perfect but at least it will shoot without jamming.

Cane55
11-16-16, 09:42
I had to return a AP lower for an out of spec magazines well. Tested and worked with aluminum 30s, but after I built it and tried 20s, they were a bitch to remove.

It's back at AP at the time being - my lesson learned it check more than one type of magazine with a lower before building.

My favorite lower by far is Mega.

Did any PMAG 30's or any polymer 30 round mags fit in your Aero lower?

Wake27
11-20-16, 19:15
I know the thread is a little old, but just wanted to share my experience. My buddy recently bought their OEM rifle and took it out for the first time today. A few things I noticed - lots of factory lube, castle nut only staked in one location, gas key stakes were a little weak, and BCG to barrel extension fit was stupid tight. So much so that I was expecting it to cause malfunctions. I don't think it did, but there were other issues. Out of maybe 100-150 rounds, there were probably thirty or so instances of a dead trigger. The shooter had to slide his finger behind the trigger and push it forward in order to reset it and fire again. Not really sure on accuracy but seemed fine. Any idea what would cause that malfunction? I was thinking out of spec spring or machining face?

VIP3R 237
11-20-16, 20:08
I had the no reset issue with an aero lpk. It's been my only complaint so far with Aero.

Hank6046
11-20-16, 20:27
I know the thread is a little old, but just wanted to share my experience. My buddy recently bought their OEM rifle and took it out for the first time today. A few things I noticed - lots of factory lube, castle nut only staked in one location, gas key stakes were a little weak, and BCG to barrel extension fit was stupid tight. So much so that I was expecting it to cause malfunctions. I don't think it did, but there were other issues. Out of maybe 100-150 rounds, there were probably thirty or so instances of a dead trigger. The shooter had to slide his finger behind the trigger and push it forward in order to reset it and fire again. Not really sure on accuracy but seemed fine. Any idea what would cause that malfunction? I was thinking out of spec spring or machining face?

I have been lurking on this thread for quite a while and find it interesting, I also have a friend with a mid-length OEM rifle (Brownells) and he loves it. I've put 200 rds through it myself and really enjoyed the gun. His first AR was a Windham and this was the one that he was going to customize and kit out. I remember the castle nut only being staked in one location, but every thing else to my memory seemed legit, granted I didn't do a fine tooth comb through the rifle. I remember it not being as accurate as my DD, or PWS at the time, he was consistently around 2+ moa with PMC 55gr. I know he has at least a 1k rounds through it since this summer (not counting the boxes I put through it, and he probably has more with out me around). I will let him know about the dead trigger but I think this is leaps and bounds better then the other AR's that I have seen on the market for the price; Rock River, Bushys, DPMS, Windham, Stag and etc.

tb-av
11-20-16, 21:42
OT: @wake27

He has a before video as well showing the problem. Same with another guy had burr on the hammer where it contacts the disconnector. I don't think it's an AERO thing specifically. Tolerance stacking? I don't know. Seems a handful of people see that issue in all manner of brand names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t17IIxaQH_Y&feature=youtu.be

Jim D
11-20-16, 21:42
I've been hesitant to post the details on all of this, but I've been seeing major quality issues with their small parts as well.

Buffer tube springs breaking at the tails, disconnectors/ hammers ans selectors out of spec so the selector doesn't travel freely when the bolt is locked to the rear, stuff like that.

Their major components seems to be good, but they seem to be going low-bidder on their LPK's and those are shutting down their rifles. I'm happy with my uppers, lower, barrel, rail, etc from them, but I would pass on their complete rifles and LPK's until they take the small part QC more seriously.

bighawk
11-20-16, 21:56
I have a recent production Aero lower that is G2G

jwilhelm88
11-20-16, 23:52
I second that on their buffer springs. 90 rounds of wolf 55g was all I put through my AC-15. Cleaned it later that night and when I took the buffer out, the spring was busted into 4 pieces.

RHINOWSO
11-20-16, 23:55
Did any PMAG 30's or any polymer 30 round mags fit in your Aero lower?
Milspec aluminum 30rds fit and dropped free just fine
Pmag 30s fit without much more effort than the aluminum 30s, but wouldn't drop free.
Aluminum 20s (straight) and PMAG 20s (straight) take effort to insert and must be ripped free.

Cane55
11-21-16, 00:59
Milspec aluminum 30rds fit and dropped free just fine
Pmag 30s fit without much more effort than the aluminum 30s, but wouldn't drop free.
Aluminum 20s (straight) and PMAG 20s (straight) take effort to insert and must be ripped free.

That stinks. I bought a few of them as an investment in anticipation of Hillary getting elected and thought they were milspec and g2g. I had read that they made Spikes lowers for them (which I've had great luck with). Maybe mine came from a different batch hopefully. I figured it would be low risk since they are stripped lowers (plus it was all that was available anyway - everything else was all sold out).

Wake27
11-21-16, 01:04
OT: @wake27

He has a before video as well showing the problem. Same with another guy had burr on the hammer where it contacts the disconnector. I don't think it's an AERO thing specifically. Tolerance stacking? I don't know. Seems a handful of people see that issue in all manner of brand names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t17IIxaQH_Y&feature=youtu.be

A burr may make perfect sense because at one point, I had the upper and lower separated and was dropping the hammer into the palm of my hand to control its fall and observe. Twice after being released, the hammer got stuck just after disconnecting the sear and needed a bump to actually drop fully.

acnewman55
11-21-16, 14:29
I've been hesitant to post the details on all of this, but I've been seeing major quality issues with their small parts as well.

Buffer tube springs breaking at the tails, disconnectors/ hammers ans selectors out of spec so the selector doesn't travel freely when the bolt is locked to the rear, stuff like that.

Their major components seems to be good, but they seem to be going low-bidder on their LPK's and those are shutting down their rifles. I'm happy with my uppers, lower, barrel, rail, etc from them, but I would pass on their complete rifles and LPK's until they take the small part QC more seriously.

I have three aero m4e1 riffles that have all functioned flawlessly so far.

I have however experienced the same issue with a broken buffer spring. Didn't realize that wasn't an isolated issue and now I'm wondering if I should replace them all.

Jim D
11-21-16, 14:40
I have three aero m4e1 riffles that have all functioned flawlessly so far.

I have however experienced the same issue with a broken buffer spring. Didn't realize that wasn't an isolated issue and now I'm wondering if I should replace them all.

We got two shipments of them in that did this. The frustrating part is that we contacted them about the first batch and they sent replacement springs to us. This didn't keep them from shipping additional problem springs to us in the future though, so they evidently didn't fix it when it was first brought to their attention (several weeks before).

Singlestack Wonder
11-21-16, 14:57
With all the issues demonstrated in this thread, its clear why aero is not in the tier one category with Colt, BCM, and DD. They have relegated themselves to the anderson, dpms, rra, and bushmaster level.

acnewman55
11-21-16, 15:14
With all the issues demonstrated in this thread, its clear why aero is not in the tier one category with Colt, BCM, and DD. They have relegated themselves to the anderson, dpms, rra, and bushmaster level.

I don't know if I'd agree with that. Everything else I've purchased that they manufacture has been top notch.

I don't know if they're manufacturing their buffer springs or not. Can anyone confirm?

Not that this matters a lot - if they're selling it they are accountable for the quality of any item.

But I still consider them a quality manufacturer.

556BlackRifle
11-21-16, 15:19
I don't know if I'd agree with that. Everything else I've purchased that they manufacture has been top notch.

I don't know if they're manufacturing their buffer springs or not. Can anyone confirm?

Not that this matters a lot - if they're selling it they are accountable for the quality of any item.

But I still consider them a quality manufacturer.

I can't confirm but - I doubt that they make their own springs.

JC5188
11-21-16, 17:13
We got two shipments of them in that did this. The frustrating part is that we contacted them about the first batch and they sent replacement springs to us. This didn't keep them from shipping additional problem springs to us in the future though, so they evidently didn't fix it when it was first brought to their attention (several weeks before).

This gives me pause.

I'm a Department head at a large manufacturing facility, and upon finding a quality defect during one of our processes recently, I pulled the finished goods product from the warehouse myself. I had every piece (already packaged for shipment) inspected and scrapped if defective.

The moral of the story is, defects happen. It's the containment and corrective action that separates the good manufacturers from the bad, IMO.

acnewman55
11-21-16, 17:20
This gives me pause.

The moral of the story is, defects happen. It's the containment and corrective action that separates the good manufacturers from the bad, IMO.

Agreed - though if Aero is reselling the buffer springs and not manufacturing them, then this is really a knock on their customer service and purchasing QC... not necessarily their manufacturing practices.

I think anyone that has dealt with Aero will tell you that their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

JC5188
11-21-16, 17:41
Agreed - though if Aero is reselling the buffer springs and not manufacturing them, then this is really a knock on their customer service and purchasing QC... not necessarily their manufacturing practices.

I think anyone that has dealt with Aero will tell you that their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

If they are knowingly assembling with defective parts, thats a manufacturing defect in the finished product. Hell, if they are unknowingly assembling it's still a defect. But if they are knowingly doing it as the guy stated, that's not somebody I want a product from.

556n45
11-22-16, 19:56
I like the Aero lowers very much, the finish is great, I like the fit-up quality, and one feature they do others don't is they thread the rear take down detent hole for a small plug screw, and if I remember correctly they do the same for the safety detent hole. I've beat up on there lowers pretty hard, and they hold up well. You mention Spikes too, I could say good things about them also. As far as customer service goes on items such as AR lowers, I've had poor CS with many different companies, It seems to be a difficult task to fix or replace a serialized part that has a relativity low price tag. I remember dealing with DPMS back many years ago, it was a terrible experience and waste of time.

calvin118
11-22-16, 23:32
I do not know about their LPK's BCG's etc. but their receivers are excellent in my experience. Probably the best thing going for the money right now.

Cletus989
11-23-16, 10:22
I just looked at my aero buffer spring after 150 rds and a small piece was broken off

acnewman55
11-23-16, 12:30
I just looked at my aero buffer spring after 150 rds and a small piece was broken off

After seeing this thread I checked the Aero subforum at AR15 dot com and indeed there are several threads containing complaints about the buffer springs breaking.

I'm going to open a cs case with them to get mine replaced.

Rogue556
11-23-16, 13:32
I don't know about the rest of you, but a company that isn't willing to fix a problem when it's brought to their attention isn't a company I plan to give my money to. I'd thought about trying some of their stuff out but after all I've heard I think I'll just keep buying boringly reliable BCM and Colt stuff. That money could be going to a company that actually cares for their customer base and works to bring new quality products to market.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Cane55
11-25-16, 06:46
I just built one of the Aero stripped lowers I got and everything so far has worked. Every magazine has worked and fallen free (gen 2 & 3 PMAG's). So far so good. Aero says on their own website that they get their lowers from Anchor Harvey & Cerro Forge.

mballz23
11-29-16, 13:05
I just built one of the Aero stripped lowers I got and everything so far has worked. Every magazine has worked and fallen free (gen 2 & 3 PMAG's). So far so good. Aero says on their own website that they get their lowers from Anchor Harvey & Cerro Forge.

They get forgings from them. Machine them in house

Cane55
11-29-16, 13:22
They get forgings from them. Machine them in house

I didn't know that, thanks.

mballz23
11-29-16, 13:23
Yeah I thought it was completely machined for them but I was just on their website yesterday and they say they machine their own lowers and it's real easy to miss in their FAQ section

3M-TA3
11-29-16, 15:32
Yeah I thought it was completely machined for them but I was just on their website yesterday and they say they machine their own lowers and it's real easy to miss in their FAQ section

Machining operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPOCDc_OSBw

seedubs1
11-30-16, 07:58
Yeah.....and they supply spikes and some other lowers.

The forging companies mostly just forge the receiver and send them to whoever's buying to machine them. Forgings may be the same, but the end product is the result of the quality of the forging + the quality of the machine work done to that forging.

Cane55
11-30-16, 08:21
Yeah.....and they supply spikes and some other lowers.

The forging companies mostly just forge the receiver and send them to whoever's buying to machine them. Forgings may be the same, but the end product is the result of the quality of the forging + the quality of the machine work done to that forging.

That's interesting I didn't know that. I thought they were all done and finished by a company and stamped with the different company's name and sent off to them. So even though the forged part can come from the same source, quality can be different between different companies by the QC and how well each company ends up maching them. Very interesting, thanks.

seedubs1
11-30-16, 08:42
Correct. And even parts from the same forging company and same machining/finishing company can be different depending on what tolerances are specified by the buyer.

Just having the same forging mark certainly does not make receivers equivalent.

That's interesting I didn't know that. I thought they were all done and finished by a company and stamped with the different company's name and sent off to them. So even though the forged part can come from the same source, quality can be different between different companies by the QC and how well each company ends up maching them. Very interesting, thanks.

themonk
11-30-16, 08:57
Hence why every lower / upper / barrel / LPK is not the same.

Mike14_07
11-30-16, 09:32
I have 4 aero lowers, 2 built, 2 spares. Everything fit, but the trigger guards on all of them was a little loose. Not bad but had a hint of wiggle with spring pins. Swapped with regular roll pins and its fine. CS said this is normal for their lowers, not a deal breaker for me. All the lowers have some bumps and bruises from the get go, i would have considered them blems but i bought them through auctions on gun broker so they may have been. I have one upper built and on another brand lower and one on the way to build. The built one fit fine but had a decent ding in it. CS gave me the option to send it back for replacement or the difference between a regular and blem in credit. I took the credit. Took prolly 3-4 days total. Over all good dealings with them but i buy my lpk and loose parts from better places and stick to their uppers and lowers

alx01
12-01-16, 16:13
I have nothing but high marks for aero precision. I have their stripped lower (bought from a local gun shop) and a complete upper (directly from them). Fit and finish is perfect on both of them. I also bought misc parts like LPK, and etc. Everything checks out just fine. LPK installed without issues, but I've used an ALG ACT trigger which also fits perfectly in Aero Lower. Very prompt shipping and great customer service - I personally never had an issue with any of the orders or items.

I don't have their BCG and would be interested how Aero BCGs (phosphate, nitrided, NiB) compare to BCM/LMT/Colt or some other well known manufacturer.

On a personal note I highly recommend their Ambidextrous charging handle and a billet trigger guard. Trigger guard is great because it is fixed in place with 3 screws and does not need a roll pin.

georgeib
12-01-16, 19:14
I bought a stripped lower recently, my first Aero product. And when I received it, I noticed that the walls on the fire control group cavity were uneven. One was 0.015" thicker than the other. Aero CS emailed me a UPS call tag to ship it back to them for inspection. We'll see how this resolves, but hopefully with a new lower.

rondooley
12-01-16, 19:51
I bought a stripped lower recently, my first Aero product. And when I received it, I noticed that the walls on the fire control group cavity were uneven. One was 0.015" thicker than the other. Aero CS emailed me a UPS call tag to ship it back to them for inspection. We'll see how this resolves, but hopefully with a new lower.
I had the same problem with two of their lowers and they never responded to emails

georgeib
12-02-16, 03:50
I had the same problem with two of their lowers and they never responded to emails
Ouch. They have a customer service phone number on the website too. I'd give them a call if I were you.

georgeib
12-02-16, 04:41

This is their Contact Us form on their website:
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/contacts/

And their CS phone# 253-272-8188

Let us know what happens please.

mballz23
12-04-16, 23:33
Well got my AP lower put together on Friday. Tolerances were tight. Took me a few more taps to get roll pins in than a cmmg lower that I've put together. Used a BCM lpk with a PNT trigger. Everything is tight including mating with the complete BCM upper. Looks like they were made for each other. And I didn't touch the adjustment screw. The AP extended scope mount hasn't disappointed me so far. I'm not sure I really like the hinge design but I digress as that's not apart of this conversation. Mags drop free loaded and unloaded, used 30 rd gen 2 pmags and a USGI 20rd mag. Didn't have a 30rd USGI so I can't comment on that.

Cane55
12-04-16, 23:40
Well got my AP lower put together on Friday. Tolerances were tight. Took me a few more taps to get roll pins in than a cmmg lower that I've put together. Used a BCM lpk with a PNT trigger. Everything is tight including mating with the complete BCM upper. Looks like they were made for each other. And I didn't touch the adjustment screw. The AP extended scope mount hasn't disappointed me yet

That's good news. Glad to hear. Did you use one of those set screws to hold in the rear takedown pin spring?

mballz23
12-04-16, 23:45
That's good news. Glad to hear. Did you use one of those set screws to hold in the rear takedown pin spring?

I did not

Mike14_07
12-06-16, 19:49
Anybody elses aero lowers are not flush with the upper on 1 side? I checked my 2 spares and one side of the fcg cut out is much thinner and the upper over hangs over the lower on that side. My other 2 are fine. Got an upper receiver in today from aero and alot of gouges on it like my lowers i got over the past few months. Seems the qc is getting pretty lax over there

mballz23
12-07-16, 16:13
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o498/mballz23/4D3B1A9B-187C-480C-BBFE-E6A84565B725.jpg (http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/mballz23/media/4D3B1A9B-187C-480C-BBFE-E6A84565B725.jpg.html)
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o498/mballz23/5D0C4F89-D0CE-4104-B85B-DC172BB398FA.jpg (http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/mballz23/media/5D0C4F89-D0CE-4104-B85B-DC172BB398FA.jpg.html)
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o498/mballz23/BB486C56-E8EF-4A37-86C7-68D640431F8D.jpg (http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/mballz23/media/BB486C56-E8EF-4A37-86C7-68D640431F8D.jpg.html)

Cane55
12-09-16, 09:57
That looks good to me. I don't see any bad misalignment.

Jwknutson17
12-09-16, 10:20
Anybody elses aero lowers are not flush with the upper on 1 side? I checked my 2 spares and one side of the fcg cut out is much thinner and the upper over hangs over the lower on that side. My other 2 are fine. Got an upper receiver in today from aero and alot of gouges on it like my lowers i got over the past few months. Seems the qc is getting pretty lax over there

I find quiet the opposite. Most of the aero uppers I have assembled require thermal fit to get the barrel extension in the upper. They are just as tight on the lower as the Vltors, and have much less play then some of the big name guys putting out rifles. Finish is outstanding. I've yet to find a bad aero upper out of the 20+ I have assembled for myself and others. I own many, many, brands of rifles and parts and find to aero to be just as quality if not better then others out there.

futurerider103
12-09-16, 14:13
I built my first AR this year on an Aero lower and have about 150rnds through it without any issues.
Everything assembled perfectly so I really can't be any happier

mballz23
12-09-16, 14:22
That looks good to me. I don't see any bad misalignment.

Yep me too! I forgot to actually write something after I linked the photos. Other than the roll pins being a little tight I have no qualms with this lower

Flatlander35
12-09-16, 14:23
Anybody use their carry handles? I just ordered one today so I'm already committed but I've never seen or heard any opinions.

Mike14_07
12-10-16, 23:19
Yep me too! I forgot to actually write something after I linked the photos. Other than the roll pins being a little tight I have no qualms with this lower

Aero sent a ups pickup for the 3 lowers that were too skinny. Hopefully wont take too long.

JaegerOne
12-11-16, 00:24
My son bought an Aero AC-15 a few months ago. Everything has been good-to-go except the mag not freely dropping.

CS sent him a pre-paid label to send it back, no questions asked.

mballz23
12-12-16, 00:47
Aero sent a ups pickup for the 3 lowers that were too skinny. Hopefully wont take too long.

Good to hear they're taking care of you!

genesis1
12-23-16, 10:50
I don't know about the rest of you, but a company that isn't willing to fix a problem when it's brought to their attention isn't a company I plan to give my money to. I'd thought about trying some of their stuff out but after all I've heard I think I'll just keep buying boringly reliable BCM and Colt stuff. That money could be going to a company that actually cares for their customer base and works to bring new quality products to market.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Unless its bcm, who can do no wrong. If a certain pmag won't fit in your bcm, yet is manufactured to work flawlessly in colt (tdp holder) and DOES..must be a pmag problem. The hypocrisy and hero worship of this forum is laughably out of control.

SeriousStudent
12-23-16, 11:23
Unless its bcm, who can do no wrong. If a certain pmag won't fit in your bcm, yet is manufactured to work flawlessly in colt (tdp holder) and DOES..must be a pmag problem. The hypocrisy and hero worship of this forum is laughably out of control.

Good job with your first post. <---- that's not really a compliment, by the way.

If this place is so horrible, why did you sign up? After all, you joined the forum, the forum did not join you.

You might think about that.

mballz23
12-23-16, 20:34

I think most of us appreciate customer service and quality products. If you have an issue with a BCM product they'll take care of you, there's a few threads of BCM taking care of customers and going above and beyond on this forum alone. So excuse us for appreciating a company that stands behind their product like BCM.

Good job with your first post. <---- that's not really a compliment, by the way.

If this place is so horrible, why did you sign up? After all, you joined the forum, the forum did not join you.

You might think about that.

That's too much common sense...

ruckusjuice
12-24-16, 08:35
I was leaning towards a blem Aero lower for my first build until I read about some of the issues in this thread. I ended up buying a Sionics Weapon Systems blem lower at only a slightly higher price (after factoring in the value of the included lower parts).

D_M
01-09-17, 15:00
Aero quality seems to be slipping lately.

I'm seeing more and more forgings that are not from Cerro or Anchor Harvey, and they have defects.

georgeib
01-09-17, 18:11
Aero quality seems to be slipping lately.

I'm seeing more and more forgings that are not from Cerro or Anchor Harvey, and they have defects.

You talking about uppers?

georgeib
01-09-17, 18:19

Update on my returned lower due to the trigger cavity not being centered (one wall is 0.015-0.020" thicker than the other):

I contacted Aero on Nov 21st,
They issued an RMA on Nov 25th,
They received my lower on Dec 6th,
They told me that the lower had been passed on to their QC team on Dec 7th, and that they would contact me when QC was complete,
I contacted them again on Jan 4th with a request for an update, or at least an estimate of how much longer this would be.
As of today, Jan 9th, I've received no response.

mballz23
01-09-17, 18:22

Update on my returned lower due to the trigger cavity not being centered (one wall is 0.015" thicker than the other):

They told me that the lower had been passed on to their QC team on Dec 7th, and that they would contact me when QC was complete,
I contacted them again on Jan 4th with a request for an update, or at least an estimate of how much longer this would be.

Dang.... that's no bueno. I'd start looking just to get money back

georgeib
01-09-17, 18:30
Dang.... that's no bueno. I'd start looking just to get money back

Not quite at that stage yet, but not far off either... I'm thinking that if they can get it together and send me an inspec lower, I should be GTG to build my boy a decent training rifle. Hopefully they will make it right.

mballz23
01-09-17, 18:34
Not quite at that stage yet, but not far off either... I'm thinking that if they can get it together and send me an inspec lower, I should be GTG to build my boy a decent training rifle. Hopefully they will make it right.

I hope so too. Good luck

Mike14_07
01-09-17, 18:50

I had the same exact thing happen on 3 lowers. No response. They were out out of lowers is my guess. I called them friday and they got me 3 lowers out that day amd sent the tracking. Ill repost if they are in spec or not when i get them in my hands thursday. I hope it all works out. Everything ive gotten here lately from aero had alot of blems and and the lowers were too thin. I finally just asked for a refund on the uppers and ordered 2 bcm upper receivers. I really like their lowers so i hope their g2g this go round.

D_M
01-09-17, 19:09
You talking about uppers?

Uppers and Lowers.

My buddy just got an Aero upper in and it had forge marks from Mueller Industries. The FA and pivot pin lug were chipped and flaking, so he emailed Aero asking if he got duped and they wouldn't confirm if it was one of theirs or not. Now I own a few Aero uppers/lowers and mine are all Anchor Harvey, so I was skeptical that he got duped. Well Aero sent him another upper and it was also a Mueller Industries upper. Now those forgings may be fine, but it's odd that Aero won't disclose where they get their forgings when most have forge marks.

Then another friend's friend just bought an Aero OEM rifle and the lower was marked "U" (which I've never seen before).

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/766/32181098506_16b7bb7b83_z.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/389/32070452962_48f24ca4e7_c.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/306/31409016443_b08c7e455b_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/544/32219320685_0ea02f5480_c.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/418/32100409381_56b22a0d25_z.jpg

I've built numerous Aero sets, and currently still own two. All of them have been fine thus far.

D_M
01-09-17, 19:33
Here are the two Mueller Industries forgings from Aero. They both have a big gash/chip in the aluminum near the brass deflector. The first upper has a scratch down the forward assist. The second upper came in an has a scratch across the brass deflector and chipped anodizing around the pivot pin lug.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/428/31843665190_e6e4d4c044_b.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/722/32181350396_f9458e7300_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/485/31409287873_50f778019b_b.jpg

Mike14_07
01-09-17, 20:04
Those uppers look rough. I would keep sending them back. I hope they get their shit together and quit using their customers as qc.

D_M
01-09-17, 20:09
Those uppers look rough. I would keep sending them back. I hope they get their shit together and quit using their customers as qc.

I just checked an Aero lower I have in the safe. The walls are different thicknesses, but I think it will be fine. At this point, I don't even feel like bothering with them.

SpeedRacer
01-09-17, 20:11
I recently got an upper from Ballistic Advantage (their receivers are manufactured by Aero) and it was perfect. Perfect fit and finish all the way around. Anchor Harvey rollmark. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe buying from BA offers an added level of quality control?

Mike14_07
01-09-17, 20:37
I just checked an Aero lower I have in the safe. The walls are different thicknesses, but I think it will be fine. At this point, I don't even feel like bothering with them.

I hope my lowers coming in dont have that "u" forging mark, seems kinda suspicious.

Fuzzy-Reticle
01-09-17, 20:48
I have assembled an Aero M4E1 rifle using all Aero parts last year with my son and it was great. Sold it to buy something else, a Cz Scorpion Evo. Wish I kept it as it shot great. I bought two complete Aero rifles in the last 6 months a carbine and mid length. The carbine now has about 1500'ish rounds through it. Mostly Wolf Gold and Privi along with a fair amount of Federal xm193 & xm855. When I got it the FSB was slightly canted. I was sort of put off but not really as I planned on removing it anyway for a KMR-A installation. Functionally it has been trouble free. Installed a G2S trigger in it and that was trouble free. No cosmetic flaws or any other flaws that I have been able to detect. All my mags drop free except for one, my oldest Pmag. It's sticky in my DD rifle also. So probably not the fault of the lower. I found a Mid length AC-15 last week for not much over what Brownells sells them for so I bought it on an impulse. Have not shot it yet but the FSB is straight because I went home and brought a T-square in to inspect it along with some mags including the old sticky Pmag. True to form it didn't drop free but the rest did. Both rifles have no forge marks on the lowers. Both uppers are from Anchor Harvey for what its worth. I tested my G2S in the new Midlength rifle and it went in fine if not just a cooch hair tighter than the carbine. The carbine had been shot plenty before I installed the G2S in it so I guess the unfired lower being tighter makes sense. Maybe I have been lucky but my experience with Aero has been positive minus the canted FSB that I replaced anyway. Upper and lower fit on both are good. Not enough play between them to utilize the tension screw in the lowers. The bolt staking while not aggressive is decent.

I can't speak to their CS as I have not needed to use it. I didn't expect either rifle to be in the same league as my DD or BCM or Colt rifles. That's ok with me. They are what they are and my samples are satisfactory to me so far. I hope Aero can get over this hump. I am a fan of their products but that's just my opinion FWIW.

I will probably buy another M4E1 this year with an 18inch stainless bbl.
Carbine
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/Aero%20AC-15/874DFA47-F8C9-43BB-A741-704AB543A435_zpstsztwpte.jpg
Carbine today. Testing a PA 3x optic and B5 stock. Still a work in progress.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/Aero%20AC-15/90F1F526-2864-4D53-8C22-FDF10D8417C0_zpsguuwc2ml.jpg
Middy. In progress.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/Aero%20AC-15m/B5D90C7F-6D31-4873-847A-660D5B32944E_zpsxvck0zbz.jpg
Castle nut
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/Aero%20AC-15/9DE48EB4-8C0E-49C5-8FE4-467A8DF0E759_zpsjzg6fhub.jpg
BCG Middie on the left and carbine on the right
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/Aero%20AC-15/70CC6860-9DB5-438F-BF61-A7D54E053A00_zpsh378hstg.jpg
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/Aero%20M4E1/20160103_135406_zpspi0xisq7.jpg

Mike14_07
01-09-17, 22:38

All of the aero lowers ive had have been like that. The 2 i currently have built are like that but have very little to no upper overlap. The 3 i sent back were terrible tho. Prolly a 1/6" or more hanging over. Whats crazy is the 2 i have built are the blems i bought for spare to not build guns out of.

Cane55
01-10-17, 00:02
Then another friend's friend just bought an Aero OEM rifle and the lower was marked "U" (which I've never seen before).

I have several stripped Aero lowers I bought before the election and they all have the letter "U" next to their logo on the magwell. Aero told me it's the forging company mark but I have no idea which company it is. Anyone know what company it is?

D_M
01-10-17, 06:33
All of the aero lowers ive had have been like that. The 2 i currently have built are like that but have very little to no upper overlap. The 3 i sent back were terrible tho. Prolly a 1/6" or more hanging over. Whats crazy is the 2 i have built are the blems i bought for spare to not build guns out of.

I checked my other lowers and they are the same. I'll just brush it off. I do agree though, the Anchor Harvey Aero Uppers and Aero Lowers that I have fit together like a matched set.

GaryXD
01-10-17, 07:26
My buddy got an OEM a couple of weeks ago. It looks okay but hasn't been fired yet. I ordered a 16" midlength upper last week, haven't got it yet. Complete upper with BCG & CH for $359. Seemed like a bargain, I hope it's GTG.

Mike14_07
01-10-17, 07:56
I have several stripped Aero lowers I bought before the election and they all have the letter "U" next to their logo on the magwell. Aero told me it's the forging company mark but I have no idea which company it is. Anyone know what company it is?

How do they look other than that? Fcg hole even? All the holes line up? And blems on them? I dont mind the u as long as the lower fit and finish is good.

cougar_guy04
01-10-17, 09:26

Guessing that the "U" might be BRAWO/Unifor Forgings.

D_M
01-10-17, 09:32
Guessing that the "U" might be BRAWO/Unifor Forgings.

That would be a new one to me.

Cane55
01-10-17, 10:41
How do they look other than that? Fcg hole even? All the holes line up? And blems on them? I dont mind the u as long as the lower fit and finish is good.

I've only built one of them, and everything worked flawlessly. The other ones I have that are still stripped I have not tested nor installed any pins in them but they look normal. All of the lowers I have don't have any blemishes on them (at least that I can see, and I've looked very carefully and thoroughly). They all appear good to go, and the one I built has zero issues. I will check out the other stripped lowers I have and test out the hammer & trigger pin holes to make sure they are lined up (was something I hadn't even considered being uneven - I thought all of those holes & dimensions were drilled and machined by CNC machines that took the potential for human error out of it).

Mike14_07
01-10-17, 10:48
I've only built one of them, and everything worked flawlessly. The other ones I have that are still stripped I have not tested nor installed any pins in them but they look normal. All of the lowers I have don't have any blemishes on them (at least that I can see, and I've looked very carefully and thoroughly). They all appear good to go, and the one I built has zero issues. I will check out the other stripped lowers I have and test out the hammer & trigger pin holes to make sure they are lined up (was something I hadn't even considered being uneven - I thought all of those holes & dimensions were drilled and machined by CNC machines that took the potential for human error out of it).

Thats good to here. I dont mind the u as long as the quality is still good

georgeib
01-10-17, 11:16
I had the same exact thing happen on 3 lowers. No response. They were out out of lowers is my guess. I called them friday and they got me 3 lowers out that day amd sent the tracking. Ill repost if they are in spec or not when i get them in my hands thursday. I hope it all works out. Everything ive gotten here lately from aero had alot of blems and and the lowers were too thin. I finally just asked for a refund on the uppers and ordered 2 bcm upper receivers. I really like their lowers so i hope their g2g this go round.

Decided to call them too, as it worked out for you. I just got off the phone with a guy named Will who said that my replacement lower was going out today and that I should have it in 5 business days. Woohoo!

Mike14_07
01-10-17, 11:27
Decided to call them too, as it worked out for you. I just got off the phone with a guy named Will who said that my replacement lower was going out today and that I should have it in 5 business days. Woohoo!

Just a heads up, they are gettimg some nasty weather right now and ups delayed my delivery.

GoRebels
01-10-17, 20:04
The last four stripped uppers and lowers I purchased were GTG.

Mike14_07
01-10-17, 20:39
The last four stripped uppers and lowers I purchased were GTG.

How long ago?

GaryXD
01-11-17, 17:02
My upper came in the mail today. Other than a crooked charging handle everything seems to be fine. The T handle is not perpendicular to the long part (I took a picture but Photobucket isn't working for me at the moment). After replacing the charging handle I put on a Mappul MBUS and placed the upper on a Stag Arms lower. Everything fit fine and it functioned perfectly at my backyard range. My upper receiver has the Mueller forge marking.

Pic Added:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f205/GaryXD/DSCN1045_zps06eueck8.jpg

georgeib
01-11-17, 17:15

Update on my returned lower due to the trigger cavity not being centered (one wall is 0.015-0.020" thicker than the other):

Today, I received an update from the Aero CS rep I had been dealing with online prior to yesterday's phone call to them. He apologized for the delay and told me that they are waiting on a batch of lowers to come back from anodizing, after which he promised to overnight one to me. Things are looking up. I really liked the fit and finish of my Aero lower, other than the minor spec issue.

Mike14_07
01-13-17, 16:25
I got my lowers in today. The quality is horrible, 2 were marked with the u forge mark. The other wasnt and was a little better but not by much

georgeib
01-13-17, 18:40
I got my lowers in today. The quality is horrible, 2 were marked with the u forge mark. The other wasnt and was a little better but not by much

Sorry to hear that! Could you post some pictures please?

Jim D
01-13-17, 19:10
I thought all of those holes & dimensions were drilled and machined by CNC machines that took the potential for human error out of it).
They're still run by humans, and cutting heads on them wear down/out. You need to periodically inspect and adjust anything. Pretty much every lower is finished via CNC today... and yet some manufacturers still produce bad ones.

Mike14_07
01-14-17, 11:03
Sorry to hear that! Could you post some pictures please?

As you can see in the picture there are lots of pits in the forgings. These are just a few on one. The one not marked with a "u" is alot nicer forging and a later serial number. Its just has some bumps where it looks like it got dropped? So hopefully they just had a shortage and had to source other forgings for a bit and the next set will be better

jackblack73
01-14-17, 11:23
I always assumed Aero received forged blanks, then did the machining themselves. In which case the forge where the blanks came from wouldn't matter.

Mike14_07
01-14-17, 11:43
The forgings are what im having a problem with. Machine work is fine from what i can tell

Cane55
01-14-17, 11:55
The Aero lowers I got all look pretty good, zero flaws that I can see (they are all the "U" marked lowers). Mine don't have any of the little nicks, but that really wouldn't bother me that much anyway.

ranier
01-15-17, 14:46
I picked up an 16" OEM stripped rifle from Brownell's over the holidays on a good deal. Recently finished building it up with a MI handguard and BCM bits and a Geissele SSA-E. The upper and lower are finished nicely and nice tight fit but it's great that that tensioning screw is there if needed.

ODgreenpizza
01-15-17, 16:14
I have an aero lower i assembled myself and the fcg pocket is not centered, i.e. one wall is thicker than the other. I have a bcm factory upper on it now and haven't noticed any issues with functioning. I have several stripped aero lowers and a couple of them exhibit the same off center pocket.

Mike14_07
01-17-17, 20:34
Sent my lowers back to Aero today. I was told i recieved a couple of the last "u" lowers they had by "mistake". And that they will only be using Anchor Harvey forgings from now on if anybodys was wandering. So maybe they realized they have been putting out some not so great products here lately.

D_M
01-18-17, 08:31
Sent my lowers back to Aero today. I was told i recieved a couple of the last "u" lowers they had by "mistake". And that they will only be using Anchor Harvey forgings from now on if anybodys was wandering. So maybe they realized they have been putting out some not so great products here lately.

I sure as hell hope so.

My buddy got his third upper in... Same Mueller Industries junk. It has the same forging scars as the other two, but the finish is better on this one. Ordered through Optics Planet this time. I wonder how many beat up uppers are out there like this?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/273/32008623300_36ab44363b_b.jpg

Mike14_07
01-18-17, 08:47
Id call aero and tell thwy are out of spec and request an anchor harvey one.

Wallace's
01-18-17, 09:26

Seems a lot better response than you would get with a company like PSA. I don't think they even care anymore about QC standards.

georgeib
01-19-17, 18:19
Ok, I received my replacement lower via UPS next day air. It really does have a very nice finish and the logo and lettering are crisp and attractive, no forging marks of any kind. However the trigger pocket is still off-center... albeit less so than before. The mag release side is 0.010" thinner than the other side. 0.0965" vs 0.0865".

The Aero customer service rep I've been dealing with informed me that this is on the outer limit of tolerance, but still within their spec. Oh well. I know it's serviceable, but I can't help but be a bit disappointed.

JC5188
01-19-17, 18:48
Ok, I received my replacement lower via UPS next day air. It really does have a very nice finish and the logo and lettering are crisp and attractive, no forging marks of any kind. However the trigger pocket is still off-center... albeit less so than before. The mag release side is 0.010" thinner than the other side. 0.0965" vs 0.0865".

The Aero customer service rep I've been dealing with informed me that this is on the outer limit of tolerance, but still within their spec. Oh well. I know it's serviceable, but I can't help but be a bit disappointed.

I mean, it's either within spec'd tolerance or not. We're not talking about Italian shotguns here. Hell, we're not even talking about high-end AR lowers.

georgeib
01-19-17, 18:51
I mean, it's either within spec'd tolerance or not. We're not talking about Italian shotguns here. Hell, we're not even talking about high-end AR lowers.

Maybe you're right. But I can actually see the difference with my eyes... And if my Daniel Defense, Rock River, S&W, Stag, and Colt lowers don't exhibit this off-centeredness, is it really too much to expect this one not to either?

Mike14_07
01-19-17, 18:58
If i remember right there is a tolerence there. Doesnt have to be perfectly even to be in spec. Mine were way off tho

JC5188
01-19-17, 20:33
Maybe you're right. But I can actually see the difference with my eyes... And if my Daniel Defense, Rock River, S&W, Stag, and Colt lowers don't exhibit this off-centeredness, is it really too much to expect this one not to either?

Well, that's what I'm saying. If it's within the spec tolerance then yes. Not trying to be a dick, but unless it inhibits or prevents normal function, then it is what it is. They apparently have a different tol for that dimension(s) than the other companies you mention.

But that doesn't mean that as a customer you can't try for another if it really bothers you.

Ryster88
01-19-17, 21:35
I agree if a lower still works and function is normal I don't see what the big issue of one sidewall being a hair thicker then the other side. Someone posted the PDF of Colts demensions and after looking at that sounds like tolerances are +/- 0.015in unless otherwise specified. I would kill for +\- 0.015 on parts Iv machined at work.

themonk
01-20-17, 13:50
Aero is good to go. I have heard out some lower being out of spec years back but customer service took care of the buyers

Have you read the thread?

whatthepuck
01-20-17, 14:24
This thread has had a rather big part in me changing initial plans of buying 2 of the Aero oem midlengths available at Brownells to me using that $$$ to buy one of the new LE6960s. AP really does seem to be having some issues lately. I've noticed more than 1 thread on other forums I frequent on issues folks seem to be having with AP uppers and/or lowers...

Mike14_07
02-09-17, 16:20
I got my 3 replacement replacement lowers in today, and they are very nice. That being said i think aero has dropped in quality but hopefully its starting to pick back up now. If they keep sending out lowers like these 3 i will buy more

heavygunner8
10-08-17, 04:23
Sorry to necro an old thread, but is the aero precision lower parts kit also GTG? If not, what is a good recommendation? I just purchased a stripped lower for a good deal, and now i'm looknig for a lpk.

bulldozer3
10-08-17, 04:53
Sorry to necro an old thread, but is the aero precision lower parts kit also GTG? If not, what is a good recommendation? I just purchased a stripped lower for a good deal, and now i'm looknig for a lpk.Scionics LPK with the enhanced trigger (unless your gonna drop a geissle trigger in it)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

heavygunner8
10-08-17, 05:50
Is an aero precision stripped lower gtg?

acnewman55
10-08-17, 06:39
I've built three rifles on Aero lowers/LPKs and never had an issue. Only Aero issues I ever had was the brittle buffer spring material.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-11-17, 21:11
I like that they offer an LE/MIL discount, now I will share my experience.

I ordered on of their complete uppers, an 18'' M4E1 rifle length 4150 nitride barrel free float. For an affordable 18'' rifle length, this is an appealing option.

Gas port is .0935, don't know if that is ideal for this configuration, but I kind of wish it was smaller.

It is very accurate, SUB MOA with my handloads. Paired it with a PSA lower, needed to break in about 50-100 rounds before it would lock back on an empty mag, so I don't know if that was the lower or upper that needed to break in, but now it is running with no malfunctions. Have a NiB BCG, carbine buffer. This is currently my most accurate 223/5.56 gun. The freefloat upper is rock solid, a very good design, but it is heavy. Spent about ~650$ putting it together.

The bad.
- The barrel is crooked in regards to the handguards. I don't have irons on it, just a scope, but I can't imagine the crooked handguard is a good thing in any way.
- The gas tube roll pin is walking out, I am going to have to replace it which annoys me a lot.
- With these two problems, I am not confident all other aspects of the upper were properly assembled.

Summary, it is great for my intended purpose, varmint hunting/plinking. But I don't consider it a go to war gun given the problems I mentioned earlier. I will continue to use it for testing hand loads, and varmint hunting; but will grab something else for other purposes.

For 650$ I can't say it is either good or bad, I have never had a chrome lined gun that shot as accurate, but this gun would not be my top pick for self defensive purposes. Great hunting gun though, I've taken many critters with it. Overall, I feel ''meh'' about it. It works, but it isn't tier1.
For 650$ you could get a Colt FWIW.

10-19-17, 15:10
You might have just saved me some trouble. I was set to buy an m4E1 stripped upper/handguard for a suppressed SBR "build". I guess I'll have to look into Mega, or something else.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-19-17, 15:43
You might have just saved me some trouble. I was set to buy an m4E1 stripped upper/handguard for a suppressed SBR "build". I guess I'll have to look into Mega, or something else.

If you are buying the stripped upper and handguard I would buy that with confidence. The upper handguard design is well thought out and you will get no shift or wobble with the handguard.
I ordered their complete upper, so the bad things in regards to my experience could all be attributed to their assembly quaity. I think their machine work is probably pretty good for their stripped uppers.

Pat.c
06-07-18, 13:52
I just wanted to report my recent experience with Aero. I purchased one of their lowers about a year ago. Like many on this board I keep several extra powers in reserve for future builds. A few days ago I decided to begin my build. Upon inspection I found that the FCG pocket was not centered, the front of the mag well had tooling marks, the anodizing inside the mag well was awful and tooling mark on the front take down pin. I contacted aero yesterday and they told me that they would not cover blemishes unless reported within 72 hours of purchase. I find it funny because I purchased a lower from them 3 years ago that is of much better quality..

alx01
06-08-18, 17:46
I just wanted to report my recent experience with Aero. I purchased one of their lowers about a year ago. Like many on this board I keep several extra powers in reserve for future builds. A few days ago I decided to begin my build. Upon inspection I found that the FCG pocket was not centered, the front of the mag well had tooling marks, the anodizing inside the mag well was awful and tooling mark on the front take down pin. I contacted aero yesterday and they told me that they would not cover blemishes unless reported within 72 hours of purchase. I find it funny because I purchased a lower from them 3 years ago that is of much better quality..

This is just wrong to treat a customer like that. I generally like AeroPrecision, but this is by no means a good customer service. It's as ridiculous as it gets in my opinion.

tb-av
06-08-18, 20:21
Like many on this board I keep several extra powers in reserve for future builds.

Well personally I can't afford to have but so many, but I always look at them before I sign the paperwork. I would not think the FCG being off center would be considered a blem. but I can see their point if someone waits 6 months to spot a blem it makes them wonder when and how did it happen.

They should probably have fixed you up but I can see their point overall. You didn't mention if you bought it from them. I know there have been a lot of AERO blems from time to time. Can they even track all that? Do they have any means of knowing if you bought a blem? Knowingly or not on your part. You know, like if you bought 10 lowers from an online source and someone slipped you a blem.

If they unloaded 100 blems and everyo0ne knew they were blems, then they can't be expected to take them back for A stock a year later when they get 100 calls from 100 different people.

If you bought it from them as A Stock, I would ask if you could send it back for inspection. A blemish and poor manufacturing are two different things. All that stuff you mention on one lower seems like it should have been a reject. I would try to talk to someone else and maybe have better luck.

Tx_Aggie
06-08-18, 22:38

Does the off center FCG pocket interfere with function? Did you purchase the lower directly from Aero or from a dealer?

I can sort of see their side of it. It seems reasonable to expect a customer to actually inspect the firearm or lower at some point during the purchase process, or within a few days. PSA includes a warning that you should inspect the firearm before it is transferred and that they are not responsible for blemishes noticed after the transfer is complete. I'm no fan of PSA, but I think it's a good idea to know what you're getting and have always made of point of reminding customers to look a gun over closely before filling out any paperwork.

It wouldn't surprise me if the folks at Aero were more willing to work with you if it were a few weeks from the purchase date, but a year does seem like an awfully long time to sit on the lower without looking at it closely enough to realizing there was something wrong with it. That's assuming it's not a blemished lower to begin with (as you didn't mention it).

titsonritz
06-09-18, 00:52
I always tell people you don't buy cheap lowers to put away for doomsday and this is exactly why you go to build and your hosed. I have a friend that wants me to build on an Anderson lower because that is her last name and she likes the little horsey. I told her once we have all the other parts and a time figured out that is when we buy the lower and I immediately (attemped to) assemble it and if it is an out of spec turd it can be dealt with pronto. Just that way it is.

AKDoug
06-09-18, 01:28
I have seen off centered FCG cut outs on BCM, D.D., and Aero lowers. All have run just fine. I don't get worked up about tool marks.