PDA

View Full Version : accuracy

olympicmotors
04-17-16, 17:06
I apologize , in advance, because I know this has been discussed many times, but my search could not find a good answer for this question.

I am new to the M-4 platform, I bought a new Daniel defense M4 V11 ( 16 inch mid length , standard barrel ) in December and topped it with a Vortex strike eagle 1-6 30mm scope.

I have tried 6 different types of ammo ( 556 and 223 ) and the best group I can get is about one and a half inch MOA . I am using sandbag rests front and rear off a solid bench.

What Ammo do you have the best luck with as far as accuracy is concerned.

some of the brands I have tried so far are : PMC, winchester , winchester match, federal match,

I realize every rifle is different, I am just wondering what your experience has been, as far as your favorite load for accuracy purposes , has been ?

thanks

GH41
04-17-16, 17:16
I apologize , in advance, because I know this has been discussed many times, but my search could not find a good answer for this question.

I am new to the M-4 platform, I bought a new Daniel defense M4 V11 ( 16 inch mid length , standard barrel ) in December and topped it with a Vortex strike eagle 1-6 30mm scope.

I have tried 6 different types of ammo ( 556 and 223 ) and the best group I can get is about one and a half inch MOA . I am using sandbag rests front and rear off a solid bench.

some of the brands I have tried so far are : PMC, winchester , winchester match, federal match,

I realize every rifle is different, I am just wondering what your experience has been, as far as your favorite load for accuracy purposes , has been ?

thanks

Hate to be the one to break it to you but that is acceptable accuracy for a service grade rifle. You might find a load that does better than 1.5" but i doubt you will find one that does better than 1" consistently. A better trigger will help but you ain't exactly got a target rifle.

Steve-0-
04-17-16, 17:32

thanks

1.5" is pretty good considering your 1-6 choice for optics and the fact that the ar15 was never designed to be a sub-moa precision rifle. Are you shooting 3, 5 or 10 shot groups? Our LE agencies are more than happy with 1-2 MOA and most would agree is top notch for an off the shelf AR15.

_Stormin_
04-17-16, 18:16
You might see slightly better with certain ammo. Usually heavier match rounds are going to be better than most ammo. I have had exceptional accuracy from the 69gr Sierra BTHP rounds, in several commercial loadings. Everything said above is accurate though. 1.5MOA with 55gr ammo is right about the norm for what most would expect from a DDM4 with the 16 inch barrel. Heck, I'd go so far as to say that you have a "good one" even.

Trigger swap to something lighter than the standard GI trigger MAY help to bring things tighter as well, but if you're getting the groups you mention with the stock trigger it may not be an issue.

Ernst
04-17-16, 18:31
1.5" is a good result out of your AR.

You do not have a match grade barrel in it.
You do not have a match grade trigger.
You were not shooting match grade ammo specifically for your rifle.
You have a relatively lousy optic for precision

1.5" is great under those conditions.

MegademiC
04-17-16, 18:35
Prvi 75 otm.
Any vmax ammo, including federal black box 50 gr varmint available for $8/box.

1.5" is good. You might be able to tighten it up with a specific load, 10 shot groups, but if your expecting conistent 10 shot sub moa groups, you'll need to either handload and be lucky, or get a quality ss barrel.

MIL surplus, forget about it.

Also, side education, moa and inches are 2 separate units of measurement. Moa is minuts of angle, minutes are sub units of degrees. Inch is size. 1 moa is roughly 1"@100yds=2"@200yds=3"@300yds, etc. It's actually 1.something but it's close to 1".

Your scope should not he a significant limiting factor. If you compare molons posts with others with similar barrels and 1-4x scopes, there is about 0.1 moa difference.

Fatorangecat
04-17-16, 21:38
1 MOA is 1.047" at 100 yards. I try everything with Black Hills 5.56 77gr OTM before I move on to other brands and weights.

bfoosh006
04-17-16, 22:23
Deleted

T2C
04-17-16, 22:42
If an AR won't shoot Hornady 55g V-Max ammunition well, it won't shoot anything well.

olympicmotors
04-17-16, 23:22

thanks

I forgot to mention, I did put in a geissle ssa-e trigger. (Which I am very pleased with )

556BlackRifle
04-18-16, 00:10
That's acceptable accuracy. If you work on the basics, there's a good chance that you can bring that in a little closer to 1 MOA. More scope may help a little too.

Sometimes I shoot target dots (red adhesive stickers) and have a hard time seeing them as the cross hairs on my 4x scope completely covers them up at 100 yards. Switching to a more powerful scope helped because it gave me a more consistent point of aim.

FishTaco
04-19-16, 22:35
I've got the same rifle and I've been very happy with its groups using XM193. Since that's what I plan to run in it, it might be a while before I do any accuracy testing with other loads.

olympicmotors
04-20-16, 08:05
Thanks for the reply's everybody, I am going to buy some heavier 556 ammo ( have some black hills 77 grain ordered ) ( EXPENSIVE STUFF !!! ) and try to see if I can tighten it up to 1 inch.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Eurodriver
04-20-16, 08:17
Why pay $1/round for 1" groups when you can pay $0.30/round for 1.5" groups?

mark5pt56
04-20-16, 08:48
I agree, unless you need increased accuracy, no need to spend money unwisely. My suggestion is if you need more, check your needs and maybe get an "SPR" and decent scope to accompany it. Nothing wrong with what you have, just not intended for an accuracy role, as in precision based for match, etc.

One thing that will save you time, money and "effort" is to enjoy the firearm more for what it is. Don't beat your head trying to make it do something it can't. Everyone gets the occasional lucky group, etc. Keep things in perspective and life will be easier. Spend time with this working positions, etc. in dynamic settings, you will benefit from it.

MegademiC
04-20-16, 08:49
Thanks for the reply's everybody, I am going to buy some heavier 556 ammo ( have some black hills 77 grain ordered ) ( EXPENSIVE STUFF !!! ) and try to see if I can tighten it up to 1 inch.

I will let you know how it turns out.

The pvi partian and vmax loads are much cheaper. Cbc is a good deal too based on posts here, but havnt used it yet. Nothing wrong with trying expensive stuff on occasion but you probably won't see a difference with your equipment.

http://sgammo.com/product/223-556mm-ammo/20-round-box-223-match-75-grain-bthp-hollow-point-prvi-partizan-ammo-pp54

https://www.natchezss.com/federal-american-eagle-centerfire-rifle-ammunition-69462.html

olympicmotors
05-07-16, 17:05
I thought everybody might like to see the results of my range trip today. My DD M-4 seems to really like the black hills 77 grain match ammo. It was about 80 degrees today with gusty winds.
It took about 10 rounds through it to foul the barrel enough to really settle it down and start shooting well.

This is the black hills 77 grain match ammo.3937239373

olympicmotors
05-07-16, 17:13
I also shot my accurized Remington 700 , 300 Win.Mag. these are 180 grain Nosler accubond rounds.3937439375

Overall, I am very pleased with both rifles. I am frankly surpised the Vortex strike eagle allows me to shoot that well., The reticle is pretty thick , even on 6X, and my eysight is not
as good as it was 25 years ago.

cbx
05-07-16, 23:16
You've already done the trigger. That helps immensely. Try different kinds of ammo.

I'll second the 50 gr tipped varmit. That stuffs great.

Guns need a little bit of time to break in too.

You may need a little more zoom optic.

1.5 maybe as good as it gets.

Fundamentals and follow through are key. Even more so in autoloaders. Breathing, natural point of aim, and so on.

Scope mounted solid? Dumb question, I know, but it happens more than you think.

Bottom line, as great as Daniel defense is, they aren't really known for being rifles that shoot groups.

olympicmotors
05-08-16, 07:44
We're you able to see the pictures of the groups I posted yesterday?

bfoosh006
05-08-16, 09:20
Deleted