PDA

View Full Version : What spare parts should I be keeping "On Hand"

Averageman
04-18-16, 06:41
I have a plethora of odds and ends, mostly pins and springs, but should I be keeping a spare bolt also?
Also are you packing a few with you to the range?

lysander
04-18-16, 06:45
A spare rifle's worth.....preferably assembled into a complete rifle.

TacticalSledgehammer
04-18-16, 06:58
I keep a spare bolt and small bolt parts inside my moe grip. I don't really plan on that much else failing, but who knows...

Batteries for your optic or light might be handy to keep as well.

MeanCarbine
04-18-16, 07:18
It's my understanding that if you own a BCM, DD, Colt, KAC, LWRC, or Noveske you don't need any spare parts. However, if you own a Bushmaster, DPMS, M&P, or Ruger,....you will need a complete rifle as a spare part.

themonk
04-18-16, 07:29
A new bolt along with spare extractor rebuild kit, cam pin, and firing pin. Or just a full backup BCG.
Good to have a full lower parts kit hanging around even if its a cheap one.
Buffer spring.
Spare gas tube.
Armorer's wrench.

Alex V
04-18-16, 07:37
The problem is, as soon as I collect a full rifle worth of spare parts, I put together a new rifle.

I usually have a couple spare bolts or BCGs, firing pins, cam pins as other have stated.

Its a good idea to keep spares for the parts that have the highest rate of ware.

A few years ago I remember Stick posted a pic of a spare parts bin he had, it was pretty much perfect.

stwings
04-18-16, 07:49
It's my understanding that if you own a BCM, DD, Colt, KAC, LWRC, or Noveske you don't need any spare parts. However, if you own a Bushmaster, DPMS, M&P, or Ruger,....you will need a complete rifle as a spare part.

:confused: ??

9mm_shooter
04-18-16, 08:00
Bolt, extractor, firing pin, several firing pin retaining pins, xtra mags, bolt release, broken shell extractor, assorted roll/solid pins & springs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

praythenspray
04-18-16, 08:08
Glad this thread popped up. Been searching old posts looking for opinions about what is considered the "standard" for spare parts on hand.

Now I am gonna order the standard stuff - action springs, cam pin, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin, etc.etc. over the next few months. However, I actually have a very newb question about replacing bolt parts.

If replacing the extractor springs or specifically the ejector springs, does one need to replace everything? I understand that you should use a new roll pin with the new ejector spring, but should you install a new ejector as well? Same thing with the extractor. if replacing the spring, do you need a new extractor with it? I would assume even if I didn't have to, it would be wise to at least have one spare ejector and extractor on hand anyways.

Op, I am not trying to Hijack, just wanting to jump in and ask a question as I am wanting to get a small spare parts bin started and I am wanting to know what I should have just in case.

sevenhelmet
04-18-16, 09:07
I keep a bag of spare springs and pins and a spare BCG & charging handle for quick swaps, and one bolt rebuild kit per rifle (includes spare extractor and ejector). That's enough for spur-of-the-moment stuff. A spare gas tube and buffer spring for each rifle isn't a bad idea either, especially if you aren't counting on being able to order new parts.

themonk
04-18-16, 09:52
Glad this thread popped up. Been searching old posts looking for opinions about what is considered the "standard" for spare parts on hand.

Now I am gonna order the standard stuff - action springs, cam pin, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin, etc.etc. over the next few months. However, I actually have a very newb question about replacing bolt parts.

If replacing the extractor springs or specifically the ejector springs, does one need to replace everything? I understand that you should use a new roll pin with the new ejector spring, but should you install a new ejector as well? Same thing with the extractor. if replacing the spring, do you need a new extractor with it? I would assume even if I didn't have to, it would be wise to at least have one spare ejector and extractor on hand anyways.

Op, I am not trying to Hijack, just wanting to jump in and ask a question as I am wanting to get a small spare parts bin started and I am wanting to know what I should have just in case.

BCM makes a kit - BCM SOPMOD Bolt Upgrade/Rebuild Kit http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SOPMOD-Bolt-Upgrade-Rebuild-Kit-p/bcm-sopmod-bolt-kit.htm. If the extractor is going I just use the kit and redo the whole thing along with rings and springs.

praythenspray
04-18-16, 11:23
BCM makes a kit - BCM SOPMOD Bolt Upgrade/Rebuild Kit http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SOPMOD-Bolt-Upgrade-Rebuild-Kit-p/bcm-sopmod-bolt-kit.htm. If the extractor is going I just use the kit and redo the whole thing along with rings and springs.

I actually have that kit saved in my bookmarks to buy. I am going to buy all the spare parts I can from Bravo actually. I will have to source the Colt brand ejector,ejector spring and roll pin from Brownells.

Considering the price of the parts and the round count it should take till said parts need to be replaced, I figured I would just swap all parts anyway. Just curious if it's a necessity or only if the ejector or extractor is boogered up and needs changing.

titsonritz
04-18-16, 11:48
I will have to source the Colt brand ejector,ejector spring and roll pin from Brownells.

Brownells is often out of those parts, Specialized Armament (http://www.specializedarmament.com/catalog/AR_15_Bolt_Group-292-0.html) typically has them in stock but are more expensive and you must do a $50 minimum purchase.

Firefly
04-18-16, 12:09
This is just Firefly's list. It is not inclusive nor expert opinion. So far I've not had to use these but won't be needing to hit up B-Nell's (as the streetsmart youth call them) if it breaks:

Extra bolt
Extra firing pin
Extra Bolt Release
Extra roll pins for said release.
Extra gas tube.

One for each rifle.

Gas tube is more just to have but of them all....bolt release and firing pin. I've not had a bolt die on me. And I use the correct Bolt carriers and not the neutered ones. The only one I had ever crack on me was a Bushmaster one that I shot a lot when ammo was cheap (and had a Bushmaster). The under lug was shorter and had less mass than the "top".

So I swapped it. They are called 'M16' Bolt carriers but nothing about them is a machine gun part. I was told in Colt Armorer that those BCs, under normal use, will last a lifetime. So all I use. Never had a bolt die but is possible. Same with bolt release.
Have had to replace a firing pin as mine just wore out. But I shot it a lot over some years.

Stuff like detent springs I don't worry about because you really have no need to take them out. Same with hammer and trigger pins. I just use compressed air and a rag/brush should any grit get in there.

themonk
04-18-16, 15:02
I actually have that kit saved in my bookmarks to buy. I am going to buy all the spare parts I can from Bravo actually. I will have to source the Colt brand ejector,ejector spring and roll pin from Brownells.

Considering the price of the parts and the round count it should take till said parts need to be replaced, I figured I would just swap all parts anyway. Just curious if it's a necessity or only if the ejector or extractor is boogered up and needs changing.

Not necessary. You will see if the lip on the extractor is messed up or broke off, other than that its usually just the spring and extractor insert.

wanderson
04-18-16, 15:22
Like most of us, a LOT of my 'spare' parts are leftovers/takeoffs, like a charging handle.
First time I had to chase a detent spring across the shop floor I ordered a few spares just in case.
But as for actual backup parts, I'd say a spare BCG or at least a spare bolt, firing pin & retainer pin. I think the 'back up bolt' kits also supply a cam pin too.
A spare BCG is nice for a quick hot swap, but I just carry a spare bolt back up kit in my rifle bag. Less weight & space.

Lefty223
04-18-16, 15:29
I shoot a lot ... here's the parts I've replaced on ANY of my firearms as that part wore out:

Averageman
04-18-16, 15:37
I saw this
http://weaponsman.com/?p=31194
and it raised my paranoia level a little bit.

Like most of us, a LOT of my 'spare' parts are leftovers/takeoffs, like a charging handle.
First time I had to chase a detent spring across the shop floor I ordered a few spares just in case.
But as for actual backup parts, I'd say a spare BCG or at least a spare bolt, firing pin & retainer pin. I think the 'back up bolt' kits also supply a cam pin too.
A spare BCG is nice for a quick hot swap, but I just carry a spare bolt back up kit in my rifle bag. Less weight & space.

I got a couple of those trays like they have in the Mess Hall, big plastic ones with the lip around the edge and hot glued a continuous strip of magnet around that lip to catch things that roll or slip. It worked so well I made three more and put a rubber pad in the bottom of each one.
I'm thinking I need to organize my spare parts stuff and get an extra bolt or two now.

HelloLarry
04-18-16, 19:25
I'd keep a spare barrel too.

when one quits shooting, you don't want to be left out until a new barrel arrives.

Ernst
04-18-16, 19:26
My favorite way to carry spare parts for my AR is to bring a spare AR along with me when I train.

Gunnar da Wolf
04-18-16, 19:57
My favorite way to carry spare parts for my AR is to bring a spare AR along with me when I train.

LOL! We hosted an armorer's course a couple years ago and the padwan instructors all started clamoring for a bench, vice and big box o'parts at the range. I nixed it and pointed out that I always bring an extra rifle and pistol which cuts way back on down time for students if a gun goes down and then we have an excuse to come back out and test fire the repaired firearm after training.

dhena81
04-18-16, 22:06
Extractor and spring
Gas rings
FCG springs
Firing pin and cotter pin
Cam
Buffer spring and retaining pin
Gas tube and roll pin
Broken shell extractor just because it can shut you down

I also have spare bolts and carriers. The only reason I have carriers is if the gas key gets damaged some how I don't own a staking tool.

If you have all that you'll be GTG for just about anything that could fail on an AR-15.

I usually just go through gas rings, extractor springs, and buffer springs though.

Cokie
04-19-16, 00:33
TOS had a thread from Battlefield Vegas about what parts wore out fastest. I made a list of what they said broke or needed replaced.

Cam pins
Firing Pins
Gas keys
Bolts
Charging Handles
Gas Tubes

How much of that is gospel, I know not. But these parts are fairly inexpensive though BCM (even colt stuff through SA wasn't too bad). Seems like they said cam pins broke most often, but most of their guns are run full auto and several hundred rounds a day. I saw a picture of Stickman's spare parts. a google image search finds it pretty easy, in case you missed it. I'd definitely aim for something like that. If you don't have the cash a spare gun isn't always an option :D But I would never not have a few spare parts around even if I had a few backup guns.

Steve-0-
04-19-16, 01:36
This is what i recommend for a fuctioning, im not gonna screw with rifle:

Bolt Assembly
Extractor Assemby (Extractor, Spring, insert) or at least the spring and insert.
Gas Rings (3), I replace them all the time
Action Spring (carbine should measure minumum 10 1/16")
Firing Pin Retaining Pin (Easily Lost)
Firing Pin (Protrusion gage is a big help)
Lube

Lastly, buying good parts to begin with with, Out of spec shit with cause more issues.

DireStraits
04-19-16, 08:40
TOS had a thread from Battlefield Vegas about what parts wore out fastest. I made a list of what they said broke or needed replaced.

Forgive my ignorance, but I've seen this mentioned more than once; someone explain to me what TOS is?

bad aim
04-19-16, 08:45
Forgive my ignorance, but I've seen this mentioned more than once; someone explain to me what TOS is?

"The Other Site" aka ARFCOM

titsonritz
04-19-16, 11:41
"The Other Site" aka ARFCOM

And over there TOS means "The Other Site" aka M4Carbine

Spin Drift
04-19-16, 13:54
Barf is pretty much a public elementary school playground.

YMMV

HelloLarry
04-19-16, 16:24
Next time you are at TOS, ask them how their buddy Aukai Collins is doing.

JoshNC
04-19-16, 23:30
I keep:
bolt groups
Gas rings
Firing pins
Firing pin retaining pins
Cam pins
Extractor springs with buffers
Action springs
Buffers (h, h2, h3)
FCGs (those I've accumulated after swapping for Geissele FCGs)
Hammer/trigger springs
Hammer/trigger Axis pins
Various small parts for lowers
Barrels
Gas tubes

Joe Mamma
04-20-16, 09:14
I have a plethora of odds and ends, mostly pins and springs, but should I be keeping a spare bolt also?
Also are you packing a few with you to the range?

I think you should definitely keep a spare bolt. I actually always keep a spare bolt (fully assembled with gas rings, extractor, etc.) in my range bag. It's got the extractor spring, insert, and O-ring that I like. Having a spare bolt solves a lot of the most common problems with a quick and simple swap. I think most problems will be related to the extractor/extractor spring.

If I am going to something like a multi-day shooting match or shooting school, or if I will be somewhere where someone may need some spare parts (e.g., like me helping someone build an AR), I usually have a small plastic box with the following parts.

I don't plan on doing much work "in the field." But back at a hotel at night or during some significant down time, you can get a lot done. The parts in this group are based on cost, size, and weight, as much as based on what parts are likely to break or get lost. So if it is cheap and light, and not too expensive, I pack it.

(spare bolt from above if I am not taking my range bag)

1 x complete lower parts kit (without grip) with a mil-spec hammer, trigger, etc. I think mil-spec parts are best for this because it minimizes the chance of any compatibility issues with whatever gun is being worked on.

4 x extra takedown/pivot pin detents
4 x extra takedown/pivot pin detent springs

2 x extra selector detents
2 x extra selector detent springs

2 x extra buffer retainers
2 x extra buffer retainer springs

1 x extra take down pin
1 x extra pivot pin
2 x extra trigger/hammer pins

1 x 1/4" diameter clevis pin for installing the upper/lower receiver pivot pin

1 x firing pin
1 x cam pin
3 x firing pin retaining pins

There are numerous other spares that I keep around. But I rarely leave the house/shop with them unless I have a good reason.

Joe Mamma

hotrodder636
04-20-16, 09:36
I keep 2 spare fully assembled BCGS, 3 sets of gas rings (that is how many came in the pack), and 2 unused LKPKs and 2 action springs.

I see a lot of folks keep spare gas tubes never thought of that but will probably add a couple.

I do have a whole spare 6920 that has been function fired only.

Joe Mamma
04-20-16, 09:47

It looks like no one answered your question. So I will tell you what I usually do. But I am not saying it is the best way or only way.

I only change the ejector, extractor, and extractor pin EVERY OTHER TIME I change their springs.

Like you said, I change the ejector roll pin every time I change the ejector spring. If you didn't know, there are several different length ejector roll pins on the market, and they are not all cross compatible. So when you find some you like that fit your bolt(s), I think you should stock up because they are inexpensive.

Joe Mamma

dhena81
04-20-16, 11:41
I keep 2 spare fully assembled BCGS, 3 sets of gas rings (that is how many came in the pack), and 2 unused LKPKs and 2 action springs.

I see a lot of folks keep spare gas tubes never thought of that but will probably add a couple.

I do have a whole spare 6920 that has been function fired only.

3 gas rings is one set.

praythenspray
04-20-16, 12:04
It looks like no one answered your question. So I will tell you what I usually do. But I am not saying it is the best way or only way.

I only change the ejector, extractor, and extractor pin EVERY OTHER TIME I change their springs.

Like you said, I change the ejector roll pin every time I change the ejector spring. If you didn't know, there are several different length ejector roll pins on the market, and they are not all cross compatible. So when you find some you like that fit your bolt(s), I think you should stock up because they are inexpensive.

Joe Mamma

Thanks for that. In a month or two gonna order at least the $50 minimum of small spares from Specialized Armament(thanks for the link Titsonritz) so I will have enough spare springs/rollpins to last me MANY years.

ICBM556
04-20-16, 19:28
Thanks guys, good thread but went to order stuff that I saw in stock half hour ago, gone now, specifically BCG's.

hotrodder636
04-20-16, 20:20
Yep, that's why I said 3 sets (i.e. 9 rings).

3 gas rings is one set.

SteveS
04-20-16, 20:36
It is nice to have the convenience of having the parts on hand for when you need it fixed,. ARs are simple to fix, it seems buying the parts takes longer

Swstock
04-20-16, 20:52
No such thing as a spare part.

The more appropriate term would be "embryo" those suckers will be fully grown sending lead downrsnge in no time.

bigwagon
04-20-16, 21:46
I have everything on hand to build another complete rifle, so I figure if I resist to temptation to assemble it I can call them "spares."

daniel87
04-20-16, 22:54
I have everything on hand to build another complete rifle, so I figure if I resist to temptation to assemble it I can call them "spares."
Only thing i can say to making a spare rifle is, would the spare be the same level of quality compared to the primary.

If not leave them as spares and run the primary

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

bigwagon
04-21-16, 06:17
I already have backup rifles. These parts are backups to the backups. Pretty much everything I own is Colt or USGI.