PDA

View Full Version : P.A.C.E. Plans in the Everyday World

stonep59
04-18-16, 10:07
I live in the N Texas area and we are located in Tornado Alley. This past Dec, we were hit with an F4 Tornado that killed 11 people and destroyed a ton of homes. Some folks were without power for quite a few days. My good friend and SF buddy, Shane Iversen who is the owner of CSAT MTT (Combat Shooting and Tactics Mobile Training Teams) wrote this blog that I'd like to share on this forum. Do you have your P.A.C.E plan in case a disaster strikes?

The CSAT MTT website is www.csatmtt.com. Check 'em out, I highly it. I couldn't upload it due to the file size limit to 19K (which is kind of small?). Here's a portion of it. Go to the website for the rest...

P.A.C.E. Plans in the Everyday World
Shane Iversen CSAT-MTT

There are several rules that every seasoned Special Forces guy comes to learn and live by during his operational life span in Group. Most of which are summed up in the SOF Imperatives which every new guy going through the "Q" course is first exposed to.
SOF Imperatives
 Understand the operational environment
 Recognize political implications
 Facilitate interagency activities
 Engage the threat discriminately
 Consider long-term effects
 Ensure legitimacy and credibility of Special Operations
 Anticipate and control psychological effects
 Apply capabilities indirectly
 Develop multiple options
 Ensure long-term sustainment
 Provide sufficient intelligence
 Balance security and synchronization

A lot of the new guys come to the teams with a general understanding of the SOF Imperatives and if they don't, the older guys usually school them up quickly or they find themselves on the "B" Team or buried in the armory. If the new guy is worth his salt, he starts to study and begins to learn planning inside and out. Not just how to plan a patrol, that is a base line skill that any SF guy can do, but planning to take into consideration all of the SOF Imperatives, especially the one about "Developing mutual options". Welcome to the world of the Primary, Alternate, Contingency and Emergency Plan otherwise known as P.A.C.E.
We have all heard that once shots are fired or contact is made, the plan goes out the window. Well it does and it doesn't. If you plan in depth to support your strategic goal, you will be able to complete your mission.
Since retiring from the Army and moving into the Firearms training industry, I have found that a lot of what I learned in Special Forces is applicable in everyday life. It could just be that my experiences have influenced the way I think and process information, but whatever the psychology is, I have tools that I use to manage my life especially when it comes to dealing with emergencies. Hopefully this article can help you develop some of these same skills.

chuckman
04-19-16, 10:50
I use PACE planning informally multiple times a day (and I bet you do, too). "Plan B," a "back-up plan," whatever one wants to call it, PACE planning in the mundane life will deliver in spades when the SHTF.

stonep59
04-19-16, 14:13
Thanks for the comment and you're absolutely right. The point of the article is that it's more than just having a "Plan B". I was taught this acronym "Primary, Alternate, Contingency & Emergency" when we were developing our Commo plans while on missions. And I have to say that sometimes, your Primary and Alternate plans do fail. Which is why we never took just 1 type of radio system out with us. In a Disaster type scenario, this can apply just as well and its always good to have thought it through. Thanks again!