PDA

View Full Version : Aussie looking for some AR advice

TrumpyS3
04-18-16, 13:29
G'Day folks!! Hope this is the right place to ask, I'm looking for some advice in regards to purchasing a new AR...
First, just a quick run down on my situation - I'm currently in Qld Australia and had a gut full of this place and we are looking to migrate (legally) to the US - most likely TN. We will be heading over at the end of the year for an extended vacation while sorting out all the red tape etc.
So - I was gonna get a head start and purchase an AR soon and our family friends will keep it in at their place (I'll send them the $ and they're gonna buy it etc). I wanted something to use while on vacation to start off with and once we have the go ahead to migrate there, I'll sell all my firearms here and use that money on more goodies in TN :)
So - I'm not that familiar with the AR plaform and wanted to know some good recommendations...I've done a bit of research, at this point for ease, I will buy one off the shelf - I can look at building one later down the track.
I was thinking something by BCM or maybe jump up a bit to a LaRue. Ive also found recently the Texas Black Rifle Company that seem to make some fine ARs also (the 1836 XL) and wondering if anyone has any experience with either of the mentioned makes or if there's something else anyone would suggest?
Sorry for kind of a broad question - if it was Bolt action rifles, shotguns or handguns - no problem, I already own plenty, but have no idea, other than judging by price tag, what a quality performing AR would be....something that would be a good all rounder - range use, bit of hunting and home defense.
Thanks in advance!

***Ok, sorry everyone, did not realise about "Straw Purchase" laws etc there - here, we can actually have a firearm for someone else registered on our license and stored in our safe while they apply for their license or paperwork etc, which is what I was thinking in this situation.
As I certainly do NOT want to violate any arms laws there, would simply wait until I am a legal resident and can legally buy my own.
Cheers for all the input guys!!

Alex V
04-18-16, 13:34
I have two LaRue rifles. I love em. Having said that, I would not hesitate to buy a BCM. They do sell complete rifles not just uppers and lowers. You could buy a complete BCM rifle, G&R usually has several verities in stock.

Colt and Daniel Defence rifles are also top notch.

Good luck with the move. Not sure how long the process takes now, when my family moved here from the USSR in 1990 it took about 3 years to get all the paperwork and interviews sorted out.

FamilyMan
04-18-16, 14:08
I would keep it simple and start with a Colt 6920. Now is the time to buy since availability will go down and price will go up here in the next few months. Good luck.

titsonritz
04-18-16, 14:19
So - I was gonna get a head start and purchase an AR soon and our family friends will keep it in at their place (I'll send them the $ and they're gonna buy it etc).

Technically, that is known as a Straw Purchase (http://www.nssf.org/factsheets/PDF/strawPurchase.pdf) and is illegal.

That said...Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT and SIONICS all make great guns that won't break the bank.

MountainRaven
04-18-16, 14:23
G'Day folks!! Hope this is the right place to ask, I'm looking for some advice in regards to purchasing a new AR...
First, just a quick run down on my situation - I'm currently in Qld Australia and had a gut full of this place and we are looking to migrate (legally) to the US - most likely TN. We will be heading over at the end of the year for an extended vacation while sorting out all the red tape etc.
So - I was gonna get a head start and purchase an AR soon and our family friends will keep it in at their place (I'll send them the $ and they're gonna buy it etc). I wanted something to use while on vacation to start off with and once we have the go ahead to migrate there, I'll sell all my firearms here and use that money on more goodies in TN :)
So - I'm not that familiar with the AR plaform and wanted to know some good recommendations...I've done a bit of research, at this point for ease, I will buy one off the shelf - I can look at building one later down the track.
I was thinking something by BCM or maybe jump up a bit to a LaRue. Ive also found recently the Texas Black Rifle Company that seem to make some fine ARs also (the 1836 XL) and wondering if anyone has any experience with either of the mentioned makes or if there's something else anyone would suggest?
Sorry for kind of a broad question - if it was Bolt action rifles, shotguns or handguns - no problem, I already own plenty, but have no idea, other than judging by price tag, what a quality performing AR would be....something that would be a good all rounder - range use, bit of hunting and home defense.
Thanks in advance!

The part in bold sounds suspiciously like a straw purchase. This is a federal crime and can land both the actual buyer and the straw buyer in prison for 10 years: Not the way you want to start your new life in America, methinks. In fact, under federal law, you - as a non-citizen, non-resident immigrant - are not allowed to possess a firearm in the US unless you fall under some fairly specific exceptions, one of which - and almost certainly the easiest to fulfill - is that you have a valid, state-issued hunting license.

You can legally acquire a firearm in the US if you hold a hunting license, so I would make inquiries into what is necessary to acquire a non-resident hunting license in TN. Once you have your green card, you should be fine. Either way, irrespective of state laws on waiting periods, expect to have your purchase delayed.

So long as the family friends are not prohibited persons, there should be no problem leaving whatever firearms you acquire with them while you return to the land of Oz. When you return to the US, you will still need to have a hunting license or your green card before you can again legally possess whatever firearms you may have left in the US.

Now, having said all that - I quite like BCM's rifles. A little bit more nicely appointed than the Colts for not much more money.

Good luck with your move!

GH41
04-18-16, 14:44
"Technically" Talking about it the way the OP did implies that he is having his friend make a straw purchase. If his friend purchased himself a rifle and decided to sell it to the new immigrant 2-3 years down the road I don't think anybody would go to jail. Especially if the transfer were made through an FFL. I have no idea at what point a legal immigrant can posses a firearm.

sinister
04-18-16, 15:51
As soon as he has a work visa (and in a few states a hunting license, though that isn't mandatory).

When he does his 4473 he fills in his visa info in blocks 15 and 20. We've had plenty of visiting military, workers, and others legally buy weapons in the states.

Welcome to the US.

HeruMew
04-18-16, 16:59
The part in bold sounds suspiciously like a straw purchase. This is a federal crime and can land both the actual buyer and the straw buyer in prison for 10 years: Not the way you want to start your new life in America, methinks. In fact, under federal law, you - as a non-citizen, non-resident immigrant - are not allowed to possess a firearm in the US unless you fall under some fairly specific exceptions, one of which - and almost certainly the easiest to fulfill - is that you have a valid, state-issued hunting license.

You can legally acquire a firearm in the US if you hold a hunting license, so I would make inquiries into what is necessary to acquire a non-resident hunting license in TN. Once you have your green card, you should be fine. Either way, irrespective of state laws on waiting periods, expect to have your purchase delayed.

So long as the family friends are not prohibited persons, there should be no problem leaving whatever firearms you acquire with them while you return to the land of Oz. When you return to the US, you will still need to have a hunting license or your green card before you can again legally possess whatever firearms you may have left in the US.

Now, having said all that - I quite like BCM's rifles. A little bit more nicely appointed than the Colts for not much more money.

Good luck with your move!

First and foremost, welcome! I hope you have ease in your migration when you do so in the coming years.

While some of this advisement may seem harsh, not this comment in particular quoted but the forum posters in general, is because it's very important to avoid any discrepancies when coming into the country.

If your friend was to gift you something of the sort as a "Welcome to America" gift, not only would it be very fitting coming from the Down Under to receive such a thing, but would also avoid any problems.

The important part of this is: It must be a gift. You don't want to have funds transferring hands in these regards as it could be misconceived as a straw purchase, and no one wants that.

Nonetheless, welcome, I would explore BCMs or a Colt. A Colt would be one classic American choice, without a doubt.

TrumpyS3
04-18-16, 18:43
Ah Bugger - sorry guys - I didn't mean to post this or ask as a way to do something illegal like a Straw purchase or some kind of Fast and Furious shenanigans....funny enough over here someone can purchase a firearm and have it registered on your license and stored in your safe until they have got the right license and paperwork etc - Weapons Licensing Branch helped me do that for a couple of new shooters I was helping out - and that was what I meant - the AR would be purchased and done through a proper FFL etc by our friend and kept in their possession and I'd pay them back, of course not having possession of any firearm until I had proper residency with a green card and any relevant permits etc. I have tons of mates and family in the US who will take me to a range while on vacation there and use their gear, so if this is any kind of legal issue, more than happy to wait and do it right :)
I appreciate all the input as to what brand/ make of AR. As I am used to paying the high prices for Guns here, money for an AR purchase wont be an issue - so would like to get something decent when I can.
Cheers everyone!

TrumpyS3
04-18-16, 18:55
Cheers for the input mate. And yep, I know there's a bit of a wait with the Green cards etc...hopefully not too much longer :)

officerX
04-18-16, 18:58
The BCM would be a great choice! Excellent quality and even better customer service.

TrumpyS3
04-18-16, 18:59
thanks mate - laws are different here and didnt realise thats a NO NO there, so will wait till I have residency and do it the right way so as not to jeopardize anything or anyone and break any laws.
Cheers!

TrumpyS3
04-18-16, 19:00
Thanks for the info mate!

sinister
04-18-16, 20:00
No worries -- we have a lot of fellas who buy their rifles and store them here. Quite a number shoot at Camp Perry or any of the places where you're free to blast critters like prairie dogs, jack rabbits, crows, coyotes, or hunt big game.

Scrubber3
04-18-16, 21:43
If money isn't a big deal, go with a Kights Armament Company rifle. KAC is top notch and then some.

TrumpyS3
04-18-16, 22:52
Ok cheers bud - I'll look into those too!

Beat Trash
04-20-16, 08:43
I would look at something like a Colt 6920. Check out the Colt 6920 OEM1 and OEM2. You can add the furniture you want on the OEM1 easily enough. With the OEM2 you can add any type of rail that you want, so long as you find someone who can pull the barrel nut and install the rail. IT's not that hard, just have to have the proper tools to do it correctly.

If you want gun that has a modern free floating rail set up from the factory, I'd also look hard at the Daniel Defense V7 with their new M-Lok rail.

Welcome to America.

sundance435
05-12-16, 08:53
Ah Bugger - sorry guys - I didn't mean to post this or ask as a way to do something illegal like a Straw purchase or some kind of Fast and Furious shenanigans....funny enough over here someone can purchase a firearm and have it registered on your license and stored in your safe until they have got the right license and paperwork etc - Weapons Licensing Branch helped me do that for a couple of new shooters I was helping out - and that was what I meant - the AR would be purchased and done through a proper FFL etc by our friend and kept in their possession and I'd pay them back, of course not having possession of any firearm until I had proper residency with a green card and any relevant permits etc. .
Cheers everyone!

Why are people making recommendations here? The responses should've been limited to "straw purchase, illegal".

ChoppinFatTony
05-12-16, 13:14
Because the OP already mentioned that he did not mean to imply about making a straw purchase and even edited his post. He is just looking to research his AR purchase once he gets here to the good ole US.

HeruMew
05-12-16, 13:28
Why are people making recommendations here? The responses should've been limited to "straw purchase, illegal".

Well, I think this version was a lot nicer than the prior post.

Not sure whom went off about the straw purchase thing this morning, didn't last to long before deleting or editing.

But, it's been cleared up. Laws differ in countries, I would like to think that if Big Brother Sam is watching (and they probably are), that they would clearly see the responses were negative to the "straw purchase" aspect of things.

Once he cleared it up, even explaining how the laws differ and what caused that confusion, he simply wanted the remainder of his question brought to fruition.

City Rat
05-13-16, 05:02
I would keep it simple and start with a Colt 6920. Now is the time to buy since availability will go down and price will go up here in the next few months. Good luck.
X2 I would take a hard look at the Colt 6920. It's a solid rifle with a proven track record at a decent price point now. Good luck.

TrumpyS3
05-13-16, 05:16
Thanks - appreciate the advice mate!

eodinert
05-13-16, 05:51
It's sad you have to come to the US to get a proper rifle... I went to Brisbane a few years ago, and when I drove inland I just kept thinking 'What a perfect place to shoot!'

Campbell
05-13-16, 12:41
Welcome to both the USA and Tennessee...
+1 on a 6920, just a rock solid choice, but if budget allows, there are many quality manufacturers to choose from. Best of luck on the move/paperwork.

TrumpyS3
05-14-16, 02:10
Thanks buddy!

TheNegativeOne
05-18-16, 07:32

You get that ATF acceptance letter yet?

Dust
05-18-16, 10:51
As someone that has immigrated a family member, the specificity on straw purchases is what you will need to get used to. Intent is just as important as usage. My wife could come visit at any time during her visa process, as long as her "intent" was to visit, and not stay, and intent is determined by someone, maybe not directly related to immigration.

HMsailor
05-19-16, 16:44
that's gonna be a long wait matee

jbjh
05-19-16, 23:06
G'Day folks!! ~~ I'm currently in Qld Australia

Howdy! What part of Queensland? I lived in Brisbane (Teneriffe) back in 01-02. Awesome place and fantastic people!

It'll be a bit of adjustment coming here, but not a huge one. Aussies are closer to us Americans than Canadians are IMHO.

As for deciding which gun you'll eventually want to purchase, go to a few ranges where you'll be, and take a look around. This is the Golden Age Of The AR! (and bolt action guns aren't doing too shabby) You'll see loads of different configurations, and lots of folks will hear your accent and offer to let you try their gun (they'll assume you've never held a firearm because there are no guns in Australia[emoji6]). Stocks, grips, forearms, optics, etc, are all things that can be made to fit you (hence the recommendation for the OEM rifles).

Whatever you choose, and I think any of the above recommendations will serve you well, I also suggest buying a stripped lower at that time. Because once you start buying and swapping parts, those parts have to go somewhere! Might as well learn to roll your own, as it were.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Jimmy

duece71
05-21-16, 12:28
Straw purchase.....illegal. Google "operation fast and furious"........
Have your "friend" buy it for his or herself, in their name etc..... Then have them sell it to you. Going through an FFL would be even better. Colt, DD, BCM to start. Knights armament and Noveske if you want more....

squid8286
05-21-16, 18:15
Welcome! I am a big fan of BCM. I would go with something from them. There are more expensive rifles out there, but I think they are one of the best.