PDA

View Full Version : Fail zero bcg staking?

Andrewb1911
04-18-16, 13:49
Hello everyone! I am completely new to this website and looks awesome! Glad to be apart of it.
I have a fail zero nick boron bcg and the staking looks off to me. What do you guys think? Failzero will not fix the staking and im not sure if i can have it restaked because its nickel boron and it might starting peeling off the bolt? Looks to me that the back gas key is barely even staked. Or am I being crazy and the staking is fine? Fail zero wasnt even willing to accept pictures of the staking to let me know if it was ok or not.
Added the pictures to attatchments.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! -Drew

titsonritz
04-18-16, 14:21
Return it.

HeruMew
04-18-16, 14:24
Looks like they used a proper staking tool, but definitely not deep enough.

I'm with Ritz on this one, send it back and get a refund. Especially if the company is "above" even taking a look at their shoddy work.

Andrewb1911
04-18-16, 14:31
Man I knew this was not proper. The bolt that came with my S&W M&P 15 Sport model staking is way better.
I tried to return/get a refund/swap this bcg for a new one and fail zero will not accept the return or swap unless the bcg does not function. Which it does function but who knows for how long. I also tried contacting cheaperthandirt.com, the place i order the bcg from and I talked to one of their main techs and sent him pics thru live chat, he told me it was good. Which is I was disagreeing with him, and after about a couple minutes of him sending me pics of bcgs with the staking above just as poorly he then said I am past the return policy and will not accept a return on the item then ended the chat.
Looks like im out of luck...?

T2C
04-18-16, 14:39
How about some more information.

When did you order it from Cheaper Than Dirt?

How many rounds have you fired with the BCG?

What made you believe the screws would loosen up?

Andrewb1911
04-18-16, 14:52
I ordered the bcg Oct. 2015.
Fired about 150 rounds.
The poorly stake job.

GH41
04-18-16, 14:53
I say it's fine. It is a common misconception that proper staking impacts the bolts. You ain't gonna put a dent in a grade 8 cap screw!! The stakes should contact the bolts on each side and be slightly over the top of the head. Anything more is overkill. I am preparing for the flames.

Andrewb1911
04-18-16, 15:30
Since I cant return this bcg, I called a local gunsmith and said they can stake the bolt for $35. If i get the bolt restaked, will the nickel boron peel after shooting?

T2C
04-18-16, 15:31
I am inclined to agree with GH41.

I wouldn't fuss with it.

MegademiC
04-18-16, 16:57
Since I cant return this bcg, I called a local gunsmith and said they can stake the bolt for $35. If i get the bolt restaked, will the nickel boron peel after shooting?

If it's done properly, no. It may chip at the site, and maybe cause other unforseen issues, but if it peels, it was not plated properly.

No electro, or electroless plating will peel if done properly and used in the manner it was intended for.

HeruMew
04-18-16, 17:05

At 35 a pop, I really should look into picking up a MOACKS and just doing the misc. staking that people need locally and such.

Could make money back pretty quick with that kind of cost. Haha.

GH41
04-18-16, 17:54

Let's make a deal. I'll buy it from you for what you paid less what your smith wants to stake it if you ship it to me. PM me your PayPal address.

26 Inf
04-18-16, 19:44

Andrew: If you aren't satisfied with the staking on the bolt you can do it yourself w/o a specific tool - just secure the bolt and roll some metal over by gently tapping on a fairly thick bladed straight screwdriver.

Or, if you trust your fellow man, you could PM me, get my address, ship it to me with a return label and I'll stake it for you with our MOAKS.

The screwdriver way would be easier, but I'll be glad to do it for you.

Hopefully this will prompt someone in the Naples FL area to step up.

I expect a shop to charge, they are in business, but us non-professional builders need to stick together.

VLODPG
04-18-16, 20:35
Just shoot the thing already & worry about it if the gun starts malfunctioning!

zackmars
04-19-16, 15:42
looks fine to me, go shoot your rifle!

firefighter37
04-19-16, 16:02
I am in Miami and have a MOACKS... if you are ever over here, I will gladly stake it for you. Or if I am over there, I will bring it with me.

georgeib
04-19-16, 16:47
The staking is good. Maybe not perfect, but good enough for at least 20 or 30,000 rounds. I'd bet money on it. And if you'd like to check it, just take a hex wrench to one of the bolts and see how much force it takes to remove it.

Much ado about nothing. Carry on.

GH41
04-19-16, 17:12
Yea.. It's not like there is some mysterious force trying to unscrew it.

KUSA
04-19-16, 18:16
First of all, don't buy anything from Dirtier than Cheap anymore.

Second of all, unless you are going into a war zone where the slightest failure will cost lives, don't worry about the stakes. They look fine.

intense
04-19-16, 18:33
Based on the ops' c/s experience with fail zero, I've at least learned not to buy anything from them. Refusing to look at your pictures is unacceptable. They have succeeded in failing 100%.

Andrewb1911
04-19-16, 18:35
Thanks for all the comments guys! Lots to consider lol but I think I will just go to the local smith for $35 because i dont trust myself lol.
So what are the chances the plating will peel if i get it restaked?

KUSA
04-19-16, 18:44
Thanks for all the comments guys! Lots to consider lol but I think I will just go to the local smith for $35 because i dont trust myself lol.

Do you have OCD about this? It's not coming apart.

556BlackRifle
04-19-16, 18:52
I think you'll probably see NiB flaking off before you see those gas key fasteners come loose.

As mentioned before; :stop: Don't buy from CTD and don't buy NiB BCGs!!

georgeib
04-19-16, 18:53
You absolutely don't need to have it restaked. But if you do, it very likely will NOT peal. But if it peals, then it peals. So what?

KUSA
04-19-16, 19:02
If you are worried about it then just have them TAC welded in place.

Swstock
04-19-16, 19:33
Shoot it till it comes apart. I bet that's never.

Andrewb1911
04-19-16, 19:35
Do you have OCD about this? It's not coming apart.

OCD? Yes. I dont want to have to question if my bcg will eventually fail or not especially if it is supposed to be top of the line.

georgeib
04-19-16, 19:39
OCD? Yes. I dont want to have to question if my bcg will eventually fail or not especially if it is supposed to be top of the line.
Fail zero is far from top of the line. And it WILL fail... Just like any BCG will eventually fail. But the bolt lugs or extractor will have failed two or three times before the carrier key does.

Do what you want, but you're wasting your time. And at this point ours as well. Good luck.

Andrewb1911
04-19-16, 19:53
Fail zero is far from top of the line. And it WILL fail... Just like any BCG will eventually fail. But the bolt lugs or extractor will have failed two or three times before the carrier key does.

Do what you want, but you're wasting your time. And at this point ours as well. Good luck.

Sorry didnt know that reply was sent to you also, gerogeib. Sorry you have wasted your time.
Thanks

wildcard600
04-19-16, 19:54
If you are worried about it then just have them TAC welded in place.

And if doing that make sure to have the firing pin retainer and cam bolt welded. Don't want those coming out during an operation.

Andrewb1911
04-19-16, 19:55
Thanks for all the help guys!
I am going to get it re-staked because in my opinion and many others it is very poor.
Ill keep posted if i have problems in the future with this bcg.

Iraqgunz
04-20-16, 02:26
Not sure how you can make a leap to that conclusion. I have seen numerous stakings that "looked" good only to have then end up loosening. One was a Noveske which had the correct screws and "looked" fine. Except the key rattled and the there was a major leak.

The staking is good. Maybe not perfect, but good enough for at least 20 or 30,000 rounds. I'd bet money on it. And if you'd like to check it, just take a hex wrench to one of the bolts and see how much force it takes to remove it.

Much ado about nothing. Carry on.

georgeib
04-20-16, 04:00
Not sure how you can make a leap to that conclusion. I have seen numerous stakings that "looked" good only to have then end up loosening. One was a Noveske which had the correct screws and "looked" fine. Except the key rattled and the there was a major leak.
I've been mistaken before, and no doubt I'll be mistaken many times again. However, the staking looks sufficient to keep those bolts from backing out for a long time and many many rounds. If it were me, I'd run with it and see what happens. On the other other hand, there's no teacher like experience, so perhaps you're right.

BBossman
04-20-16, 05:36
Just grab a sharp center punch or prick punch and counter stake the screws.

redmist
04-20-16, 11:17

What if the re-staking causes excessive side load on the fasteners and introduces stress points at the threads?? ;)

Sorry I had to!

Tzook
04-20-16, 12:09
Interesteing. I have been running a FailZero BCG I picked up for a good deal during the big Sandy Hook scare, and it has been running like a top ever since, the staking certainly looks better than that.

Andrewb1911
04-20-16, 12:28
Interesteing. I have been running a FailZero BCG I picked up for a good deal during the big Sandy Hook scare, and it has been running like a top ever since, the staking certainly looks better than that.

Mine runs very well also but idk for how long because of the staking. Getting it restaked today����

boombotz401
04-20-16, 17:14
Mine looks similar to OP and I thought the same

I've ran atleast 5k through it and haven't had an issue, however if be curious if the nibx chips after restake.

I'd do it for peace of mind and will get around to it someday, have a bunch of bcg's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerdFergison
06-11-16, 08:35
I put about 500 rounds through my FZ Bolt and the gas key all but fell off. Tightened down the two screws and broke one off in the BC.�� These are well made bolts but poorly staked gas keys & low quality gas key screws has turned me against ever buying another.

lysander
06-11-16, 12:29
I say it's fine. It is a common misconception that proper staking impacts the bolts. You ain't gonna put a dent in a grade 8 cap screw!! The stakes should contact the bolts on each side and be slightly over the top of the head. Anything more is overkill. I am preparing for the flames.
I agree with this.

(I have my nomex suit on too)

Blak1508
06-11-16, 20:43
I think if the OP paid a given dollar amount for something to be done right and its suspect, he has a concern the least the company could do is entertain him and exchange it out at least look at it. That is what a good company would do, wow never going near them based on their response and failure to have any CS. Word of mouth is the best form of advertisement and they crapped the bed on this one. I find their lack of CS more concerning then the suspect staking job

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

stwings
06-12-16, 10:17

You can probably buy a staking tool for the money they want to stake it. Then you have it on hand for the future.