PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wold Dist. "Timberwolf" frames (yes or no?)

brickboy240
04-19-16, 10:09
https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=919704&CAT=3168

Anyone own one of these frames?

If so...how does it run?

I ask because I have a very worn out 2nd gen G22 that runs and has life left, but the frame is really beat up from carry and knocking around. I have re-stippled it twice and the damned thing is just ready for the scrap yard. However, the top half has lots of life left and the pistol still functions 100%.

For the price, this looked like an attractive option (...IF is runs). However I know nobody that owns one or has one I can try.

Any opinions (...or warnings LOL) are appreciated.

thanks,
-brickboy240

jpmuscle
04-19-16, 11:39
Disclaimer: I have no experience with them but I posited the same question awhile back as to why their not more popular considering their features. I didn't really get much in the way of explanatory responses other than most guys seemed content with carving up their glocks and saving the cash.

I'm still interested in getting to run one though as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Chrisreedrules
04-19-16, 11:59
I'm interested in one of their complete G19 pistols. Frame, and slide that is. I'd. be putting a factory glock barrel in it or maybe a Wilson if I'm feeling fancy.

I think I'd still get the frame stippled though. It seems a cheaper alternative to waiting almost a year and paying out the arse for a boresight solutions g19 with all the bells and whistles.

nate89
04-19-16, 12:06
I just got a compact TW frame in yesterday. I will be swapping out the frame parts today, and hopefully getting a few range trips in the coming weeks. Initial impressions are positive. The magwell they sell fits well, and is a similar profile to the ZEV minimalist on a 19. The polymer feels very different from both the gen 3 and 4 factory Glock ones. I will report back when I get some rounds downrange.

Eurodriver
04-19-16, 12:23
I just sent a stripped, demolished beat up Gen2 frame to Glock and a check for $107 and they gave me a brand new Gen3 frame with internals.

I'd go that route before buying something aftermarket by LW for 2.5x the price. Plus they mailed it directly to my house and I didn't have to **** with FFL fees.

doodi1
04-19-16, 12:27
I have one full size and one compact LW frame each and they both run perfectly. I highly recommend them.

HeruMew
04-19-16, 12:50
Thanks for the tip Euro. Never knew glock does that.

I am curious to try the frame due to it's added features and trigger (the UAT).

I won't be shelling out that kind of money just yet though. Maybe when I can find a cheap slide.

brickboy240
04-20-16, 09:56
Yes...double thanks Euro, for the tip!

I admit to being hesitant on Lone Wolf things, since I see almost nobody here using their stuff. That is usually a great indicator that something is not what it is cracked up to be.

I would MUCH rather send my beat up 2nd gen frame to Glock for a swap to a 3rd gen G22 frame, than roll the dice on 250 bucks for a frame that might or might not be great.

The frame on my 1996 G22 was stippled at one time, but has worn thin and has the texture of the frames on the 1st gen Glocks! It also has tons of gouges and scrapes and is generally awful.

Since my G17 and G19s are both unaltered 3rd gen guns....I welcome the G22 3rd gen frame.

...will be calling Glock today.

Chrisreedrules
04-20-16, 12:08
Yes...double thanks Euro, for the tip!

I admit to being hesitant on Lone Wolf things, since I see almost nobody here using their stuff. That is usually a great indicator that something is not what it is cracked up to be.

I would MUCH rather send my beat up 2nd gen frame to Glock for a swap to a 3rd gen G22 frame, than roll the dice on 250 bucks for a frame that might or might not be great.

The frame on my 1996 G22 was stippled at one time, but has worn thin and has the texture of the frames on the 1st gen Glocks! It also has tons of gouges and scrapes and is generally awful.

Since my G17 and G19s are both unaltered 3rd gen guns....I welcome the G22 3rd gen frame.

...will be calling Glock today.

I've heard good things from some experienced shooters who own them. The price is what turns most off to them.

Phx31
04-22-16, 10:08
Ive had one for a few years, put a couple hundred rounds through it and I really like mine. The ergonomics are really nice and it points and shoots very well. The closest thing I can compare it to would be my G21 I sent off to Rober. My 21 is still my favorite and best feeling fun but the Timberwolf is a close second.

One problem I have encountered is that some magazines tend to stick in the mag well and some drop free. I think it has something to do with the finish of the plastic.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Chrisreedrules
04-22-16, 10:44
I was actually just talking to a buddy yesterday who owned a G17 lone wolf frame. He said he eventually sold it for that very reason, the magazines wouldn't consistently drop free. I'm wondering though if that is all magazines, factory mags, after-market mags (Magpul), etc?

If mags don't drop free then that is a bit of a problem for me.

Jpoe88
04-22-16, 11:10
I just sent a stripped, demolished beat up Gen2 frame to Glock and a check for $107 and they gave me a brand new Gen3 frame with internals.

I'd go that route before buying something aftermarket by LW for 2.5x the price. Plus they mailed it directly to my house and I didn't have to **** with FFL fees.

Hows that work? Maybe I am naïve, but shouldn't it have been transferred anyhow?!

Chrisreedrules
04-22-16, 11:43
Hows that work? Maybe I am naïve, but shouldn't it have been transferred anyhow?!

Kind of what I was thinking?

MegademiC
04-22-16, 11:45

You can send a gun in to the manufacturer for repair without FFL fees.

I'm assuming they but the fame around his old metal insert. Euro, did your serial number change?

Eurodriver
04-22-16, 12:32

Kind of what I was thinking?

Unfortunately, you're naive. :cool: See below.

You can send a gun in to the manufacturer for repair without FFL fees.

I'm assuming they but the fame around his old metal insert. Euro, did your serial number change?

It is a brand new (Gen3) frame with a new serial number (It begins "G50XXX" or something, not the tradition ABC999 we are used to with Glocks). They mailed the replacement directly to my home. I am not an FFL.

The law is if you mail your firearm to the manufacturer and the manufacturer repairs or replaces that firearm they can send it back directly to you without going through an FFL.

Somehow this gets debated on the internet all the time (google it if you want to see people make complete fools of themselves) but there is no prohibition on replacing a similar make/model with a different serial number and sending it back to the original owner as long as the original firearm is destroyed when the replacement is sent out.

lazerblazer
04-22-16, 13:52
Unfortunately, you're naive. :cool: See below.

It is a brand new (Gen3) frame with a new serial number (It begins "G50XXX" or something, not the tradition ABC999 we are used to with Glocks). They mailed the replacement directly to my home. I am not an FFL.

The law is if you mail your firearm to the manufacturer and the manufacturer repairs or replaces that firearm they can send it back directly to you without going through an FFL.

Somehow this gets debated on the internet all the time (google it if you want to see people make complete fools of themselves) but there is no prohibition on replacing a similar make/model with a different serial number and sending it back to the original owner as long as the original firearm is destroyed when the replacement is sent out.
True story, I have called ruger got an RMA for damaged pistol emailed within minutes. Sent my pistol via ups within an hour. Had a new gun delivered directly to me in 10 days.

jpmuscle
04-22-16, 14:10
Only catch with that is if you live in a state where you have to register your pistols to your permit (New York for example).

MegademiC
04-22-16, 17:17
Thanks for the details euro.

Slvr Surfr
04-24-16, 14:01
Yup, two replaced by S&W. One came direct, the other to my FFL, who promptly handed me my gun when he found out it was a replacement to a damaged firearm. No transfer fee involved.

CCK
04-24-16, 17:23
Unfortunately.

Everything you said is accurate, but for me I'm too anal to have mismatched slide/barrel to frame serials

misfit47
04-26-16, 15:16
It's a glock, not a luger.

brickboy240
04-26-16, 15:38
Yep.

The thug you blast in the middle of the night will not care if the numbers match on your barrel and frame.

LOL

if it runs and is reliable....at 100 bucks...that is a steal, if you ask me.

Chrisreedrules
04-30-16, 17:49
Got a little bit of range time behind one of their G19 frames today. Overall I thought it was pretty decent. Felt a little bit heavier than a standard G19 (maybe I was just imagining it?) but it was balanced well. Maybe a little less recoil than a stock G19 as well? Just my initial impressions... I didn't get a lot of time with it. Only a few mags worth. It was one of the original prototypes and all the magazines dropped free no problem. I was using all standard Glock factory mags. Not quite a 1911 grip angle but about as close as I've felt for a Glock.

jpmuscle
05-08-16, 00:50
Anyone run a flat trigger in one of these?

SpyderMan2k4
05-08-16, 13:57
Anyone run a flat trigger in one of these?

I'm running an SSVI TYR trigger in my 19 size frame. I'm still vetting it and only have probably 300 rounds through it, but I REALLY like the setup so far.