PDA

View Full Version : Centurion C4 12" rail vs. LaRue 13.2 rail

RobertTheTexan
04-19-16, 12:19
Hey Guys,
I've been debating this question, and thought I'd throw it out to the guys who have used either or both before. Please only comment if you have hands on either the C4 or the LaRue I'd prefer some real hands on experience, and not safe-queen use. I did google this question and I found some comps between DD and Centurion, but not between Centurion and LaRue.
I did not include DD in this mix, because these are the two I'm interested in. I currently run some Troy rails, both Troy Alpha and the Troy VTAC, which I have really been pleased with, but for my next two build, I want a full quad rail. Those projects are an SPR, which the barrel(out of stock) and the rail are the only pieces that I need. I'd also be interested in your thoughts for using either on an SBR. But the main weapon this thread question is for, is my SPR (18")
I am a Texan, and am inclined towards the LaRue because they are down the road from me, but I remember reading A LOT of forum posts about how well Monty took care of them and how good the Customer Service is. I've sent a few emails to LaRue, but didn't hear back, so I thought I'd get some feedback from the forum. What's your opinion? and which one is better?? (Loaded question I know!)

Thank you!

ETA: So after a lot of soul searching I did the only thing I could do.

I bought both! Man I love this forum. Love it! So I got a LaRue 13.2 for <$200 bucks that was less than 6 months old, with brand new mounting hardware (never been used) and then I picked up a Centurion 12" rail for $175. I put the Centurion on my 14.5 last night. The 13.2 is being saved for my SPR, which is waiting on the barrel - (Ballistic Advantage 18" rifle length Performance barrel)

I know it's an old thread and maybe most of you won't read it who contributed - but thank you each and every one. My take away?

There really isn't a better rail. They are both high quality, outstanding products. In some areas one exceeds the other - but when I put it all together - they were like competitor/brothers. So the best thing I could come up with, was I needed one of each.

Here are some pics of the Centurion. It went on my "Used Car AR", so the BA Hanson barrel isn't painted nor is the rail... but you can see it mounted with LaRue rail clips. When I build the SPR, I'll post it.

Before the LaRue rail clips... It does look like it needs some rattle can love doesn't it?? :-)
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/robertestx/BDA69B0E-5F3C-40B7-BBCD-9384DCA630B9_zpsmq53h3cw.jpg (http://s683.photobucket.com/user/robertestx/media/BDA69B0E-5F3C-40B7-BBCD-9384DCA630B9_zpsmq53h3cw.jpg.html)

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/robertestx/A2C80E5A-E8B1-4F6D-8369-851BF89989B8_zpsxqjgevy8.jpg (http://s683.photobucket.com/user/robertestx/media/A2C80E5A-E8B1-4F6D-8369-851BF89989B8_zpsxqjgevy8.jpg.html)

Rail clips added! Not as good as rattle can love, but good enough for now.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/robertestx/EAC4640C-40CD-4E7F-8059-3B2828C3E556_zpshimhvfea.jpg (http://s683.photobucket.com/user/robertestx/media/EAC4640C-40CD-4E7F-8059-3B2828C3E556_zpshimhvfea.jpg.html)

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/robertestx/D97B40DD-2293-4CE2-AD67-8A9226CD9E0A_zpsach4fgcv.jpg (http://s683.photobucket.com/user/robertestx/media/D97B40DD-2293-4CE2-AD67-8A9226CD9E0A_zpsach4fgcv.jpg.html)

user
04-19-16, 12:40
I like my 3 C4's a bunch. Really like the light weight and that it uses stock nut.

cl2
04-19-16, 12:42
I have no experience with the larue rail, but I do have a centurion carbine cut-out rail on an sbr.

The centurion is a solid little rail from my experience. It is a bit on the wide side with rail panels, but not too unwieldy.

If I were in the market for a rail that bolts up to a standard barrel nut, I'd get another centurion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
04-19-16, 16:28
I like my 3 C4's a bunch. Really like the light weight and that it uses stock nut.
Thanks for the feedback. You find the C4 to be durable? I've read before about it being pretty lightweight for the size so I'm concerned about durability and toughness.

I have no experience with the larue rail, but I do have a centurion carbine cut-out rail on an sbr.

The centurion is a solid little rail from my experience. It is a bit on the wide side with rail panels, but not too unwieldy.

If I were in the market for a rail that bolts up to a standard barrel nut, I'd get another centurion.

I think in one regard the standard barrel but is a plus from the perspective of having to replace a damaged rail and put on a different spare. But with the standard barrel nut does it pull up very tight to the upper? That is one compliment I've heard on the LaRue was how tightly it mounted up to the weapon.

Thanks for providing your input. Much appreciated!

dmaxfireman
04-19-16, 17:52
I love my C4 rails, I had 3, now down to 2. I prefer the cutout versions. The one not cut out version I had would move on the barrel nut ever so slightly when flexed and the front buis would not return to zero. Centurion exchanged it with no questions asked. I never got to try it again since I replaced it with a DD rail.

That being said my two Centurion C4 cutout rails obviously do not have that problem and hold up VERY well.

Jwknutson17
04-19-16, 18:08
I prefer the C4 over the Larue. I did not care for the multi parts and pieces with the Larue and using a strap wrench. Sold the Larue within a year of owning it. Aesthetics also played a part in selling the Larue.. I Know I know...

I have had 5 C4 rails including the cut outs at one time or another. Down to 2 now, but given the choice between the two, I would go for a C4. I put the C4 and the RISII in the same category when comparing quad rails. And are the only 2 quad rails I currently still use.

lunchbox
04-19-16, 19:47
I can vouch for the 10" C4s durability. I've put my SBR through many a training class and few comps (mainly shoot IDPA).
ETA:Not trying to say C4 is best of best kinda thing. Just sayin I've been beating on mine.

joeyjoe
04-19-16, 20:05
I have no experience with Larue rails, but I have owned a centurion C4 12". I found the rail to be reliable, durable, and not overly heavy. Never had any problems with it, but it was a bit bulky/wide. I ended up pulling the C4 and going for for the DD LITE III. Very happy with that decision. Im still sold on quad rails and, In my opinion, the DD LITE III is the best quad rail money can buy. The bolt up system is rock solid, the rail is slightly lighter than the C4, the machining is slightly more precise, and, most importantly, the profile of the DD LITE III is spectacular. Very low profile (short and thin). If i were going to stick with the mil spec barrel nut and wanted to go quad, id have no problem going with the C4. However, If i didn't mind switching out the barrel nut and was willing to open up my field of options to include all manufacturers, id go DD LITE III and never look back. Best two rails on the market are BCM KMR (for those interested in keymod) and DD LITE III (for those interested in quad rails). Just my opinions.

WTDeBerry
04-19-16, 20:07
I can vouch for the 10" C4s durability. I've put my SBR through many a training class and few comps (mainly shoot IDPA).
ETA:Not trying to say C4 is best of best kinda thing. Just sayin I've been beating on mine.

Carbine cut-out with FSP or BUIS?

lunchbox
04-19-16, 20:13
DD fixed front sight behind Streamlight at 12:00. Lemme stir up pick
ETA: An old pic, she now wears a T2;). http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x400/gabrey1/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/52BB0352-4058-408C-A71D-F2E4E4E2B725.jpg (http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/gabrey1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/52BB0352-4058-408C-A71D-F2E4E4E2B725.jpg.html)

RobertTheTexan
04-19-16, 22:07
DD fixed front sight behind Streamlight at 12:00. Lemme stir up pick
ETA: An old pic, she now wears a T2;). http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x400/gabrey1/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/52BB0352-4058-408C-A71D-F2E4E4E2B725.jpg (http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/gabrey1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/52BB0352-4058-408C-A71D-F2E4E4E2B725.jpg.html)

That's slick no doubt. No doubt at all. it is also a good looking rail. Looks aren't my first priority, because my weapons are tools, but the cool factor does play in. Thanks for posting the pic...:D

RobertTheTexan
04-19-16, 22:10
I have no experience with Larue rails, but I have owned a centurion C4 12". I found the rail to be reliable, durable, and not overly heavy. Never had any problems with it, but it was a bit bulky/wide. I ended up pulling the C4 and going for for the DD LITE III. Very happy with that decision. Im still sold on quad rails and, In my opinion, the DD LITE III is the best quad rail money can buy. The bolt up system is rock solid, the rail is slightly lighter than the C4, the machining is slightly more precise, and, most importantly, the profile of the DD LITE III is spectacular. Very low profile (short and thin). If i were going to stick with the mil spec barrel nut and wanted to go quad, id have no problem going with the C4. However, If i didn't mind switching out the barrel nut and was willing to open up my field of options to include all manufacturers, id go DD LITE III and never look back. Best two rails on the market are BCM KMR (for those interested in keymod) and DD LITE III (for those interested in quad rails). Just my opinions.

Really the only thing keeping me from including the DD was cost. It's just outside my budget. (or will to pay I guess.) It's the LaRue or Centurion for me. But I appreciate your input and opinion.

RobertTheTexan
04-19-16, 22:11
I prefer the C4 over the Larue. I did not care for the multi parts and pieces with the Larue and using a strap wrench. Sold the Larue within a year of owning it. Aesthetics also played a part in selling the Larue.. I Know I know...

I have had 5 C4 rails including the cut outs at one time or another. Down to 2 now, but given the choice between the two, I would go for a C4. I put the C4 and the RISII in the same category when comparing quad rails. And are the only 2 quad rails I currently still use.

What about the aesthetics played a role? I've seen and handled a couple of LaRue's ad the fit and finish looked fine to me. What did you notice or not like?

Thanks for posting your opinion!

RobertTheTexan
04-19-16, 22:19

Thanks Lunchbox for replying and giving me some background on your usage. To be honest, I'm really surprised that no one has commented for the LaRue. Maybe the LaRue owners are thinking, "If you gotta ask that question, you aren't worthy to own a LaRue." lol In fact I expected more 50/50, but every post has been in favor of the Centurion, and it's not a cheaper rail than the LaRue.

Very interesting feedback so far! thanks again for the pic post.

titsonritz
04-19-16, 22:34
I put the C4 and the RISII in the same category when comparing quad rails. And are the only 2 quad rails I currently still use.

That's a bold statement and they are the only rails I use too. The C4 for perm-welded MDs or other need to use standard barrel nut otherwise RIS II all the way.

Really the only thing keeping me from including the DD was cost. It's just outside my budget. (or will to pay I guess.) It's the LaRue or Centurion for me. But I appreciate your input and opinion.

If price is the only thing holding you back keep your eye on the EE, I picked up a new DD FSP RIS II for $250.

I don't buy cuckoo LaRue products so of the two choices I'd buy the C4, but I'd recommend looking for a DD.

RobertTheTexan
04-19-16, 22:56
That's a bold statement and they are the only rails I use too. The C4 for perm-welded MDs or other need to use standard barrel nut otherwise RIS II all the way.

If price is the only thing holding you back keep your eye on the EE, I picked up a new DD FSP RIS II for $250.

I don't buy cuckoo LaRue products so of the two choices I'd buy the C4, but I'd recommend looking for a DD.

I will do that, I've been keeping my eyes peeled for quad rails, seems they are mostly keymods on the E&E...which I'm sure are good,but I really have my heart set on a really good quad. Thanks ToR! Good advice

straitR
04-19-16, 23:05
Thanks Lunchbox for replying and giving me some background on your usage. To be honest, I'm really surprised that no one has commented for the LaRue. Maybe the LaRue owners are thinking, "If you gotta ask that question, you aren't worthy to own a LaRue." lol In fact I expected more 50/50, but every post has been in favor of the Centurion, and it's not a cheaper rail than the LaRue.

Very interesting feedback so far! thanks again for the pic post.

That's because the LT rail has been out for a decade and is exactly the same today as it was then. Once upon a time it was the new hotness, but handguards have come a long way. I think most people purchasing LT rails today are doing so out of brand loyalty. The C4 is every bit as tough, lighter (slightly), and is much easier to install. I've owned and installed both (two LT's and two C4's) over the last ten years and would go with the C4 without question if I was set on a quad rail today.

I still have a painted 12" C4 lying around somewhere, but I've sold the others while slowly moving away from full quad rails over the years. That said, build what you like, it's your carbine.

vicious_cb
04-19-16, 23:26
I owned one back in 07, it was a pretty good rail at the time but today the larue is pretty dated not to mention ridiculously heavy compared to today's offerings. You can ask them why they havent reduced the weight and have Mark Larue call you a pussy. :rolleyes:

CrabNSR
04-19-16, 23:54
I like LaRue's quad rails on my EAG upper. It does feel bomb proof and I like the anti rotational features. The only problem with it is its very heavy even my 9" version and its huge, Like vicious_cb said its a dated rail and was good at the time. Personally for an SPR I'd get a Geissle SMR since the barrel nut is long and provides more rigidity.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/f17946e09fa7ac7ee9803ae876006ba3/tumblr_o5x1efS63X1v7ujrso1_1280.jpg

quackhead
04-20-16, 01:44
I have been running Larue rails for the past 8 plus years. I know of numerous LT rails that have several deployments with no issues. It is tops in my book for the following reasons: durability, overall size ( small diameter ) QD sling points I have beat the crap out of them and they are no worse for wear. I have run the DD RIS II - both MK18 and FSP quite a bit and prefer the Larue . I have used the 7 and 12" rails

JG007
04-20-16, 02:29
For quad in the front did you look at the geissele mk4?

I'm using DD and Geissele for rails and very happy

RobertTheTexan
04-20-16, 08:26
For quad in the front did you look at the geissele mk4?

I'm using DD and Geissele for rails and very happy

Actually I narrowed my list down by what was within my budget. The Geissele and the DD were both our of my price range. I belt e Titz recommended I keep my eyes peeled in the E&E a good deal on a RIS, but if I found a deal I could afford I wouldn't be opposed to the Geissele. I've heard really good things. So basically my question was framed around two good rails I could afford.

jstalford
04-20-16, 12:38
Don't let budget keep you from geissele. It's relatively easy to pick up a used one for $175 or less depending on the length you want.

JG007
04-20-16, 13:32
And mk4 & mk8 rails have been on sale a lot the last 6 months

RobertTheTexan
04-20-16, 15:16
Don't let budget keep you from geissele. It's relatively easy to pick up a used one for $175 or less depending on the length you want.

That's for the quad type rails? I don't want a Keymod.. Thanks!!!

jstalford
04-20-16, 15:20
Mlok with quad rails at the front. Mk4. They don't make a quad other than the national match to my knowledge.

RobertTheTexan
04-20-16, 15:22
I like LaRue's quad rails on my EAG upper. It does feel bomb proof and I like the anti rotational features. The only problem with it is its very heavy even my 9" version and its huge, Like vicious_cb said its a dated rail and was good at the time. Personally for an SPR I'd get a Geissle SMR since the barrel nut is long and provides more rigidity.

You hit a good point about the weight. That's one reason the LaRue made the short list. The weight. I think that weight on the barrel end of my SPR would be a good thing.
Pros and cons.. :-)

JG007
04-20-16, 15:27
Mlok with quad rails at the front. Mk4. They don't make a quad other than the national match to my knowledge.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?182090-Geissele-rail-mk4-or-mk8

RobertTheTexan
04-20-16, 17:35
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?182090-Geissele-rail-mk4-or-mk8

Great thread- thanks for the post [emoji1303]

lunchbox
04-20-16, 18:28

Very interesting feedback so far! thanks again for the pic post.No problem and good luck.

RobertTheTexan
04-20-16, 23:12
I have been running Larue rails for the past 8 plus years. I know of numerous LT rails that have several deployments with no issues. It is tops in my book for the following reasons: durability, overall size ( small diameter ) QD sling points I have beat the crap out of them and they are no worse for wear. I have run the DD RIS II - both MK18 and FSP quite a bit and prefer the Larue . I have used the 7 and 12" rails

Now this is the comment that I expected to hear, just more of them. I've got a good friend who is a SOCM (R) and he is a big fan of LaRue. In fact he's the reason I'm so interested in them, because pretty much if he uses it, or recommends it to me, then I know it's a solid piece of gear or kit, that I can trust my life to. I just came across a good deal on the Centurion - they both look very similar, so I wanted to get some more feedback from guys using them. Your comments are spot on with what my friends have told me about LaRue rails. I appreciate you posting, and your service Brother.

samuse
04-21-16, 02:32
I think the C4 is about as good as it gets for something that clamps to the stock barrel nut.

The LaRue rail is in a class of it's own compared to that type of rail. The LaRue is a product improved KAC. The locking ring and plate are rock solid, don't come loose, and don't require any special tools to install. The profile cannot be beat for comfort in the hand. It is, after all, a copy of the KAC.

They're both considered out dated now, but they work as well as they ever did and the newest stuff doesn't do anything that a quad doesn't.

RobertTheTexan
04-21-16, 06:17
I think the C4 is about as good as it gets for something that clamps to the stock barrel nut.

The LaRue rail is in a class of it's own compared to that type of rail. The LaRue is a product improved KAC. The locking ring and plate are rock solid, don't come loose, and don't require any special tools to install. The profile cannot be beat for comfort in the hand. It is, after all, a copy of the KAC.

They're both considered out dated now, but they work as well as they ever did and the newest stuff doesn't do anything that a quad doesn't.

That's what I've heard that once you get it locked down on the weapon, that you'll practically destroy the weapon before you destroy the rail. Liken my OP pointed out, I've built AR's with both Troy Alpha and the Troy VTAC and I've literally best the crap out of them. (As in literally with a hammer) and they are tough, but 1) I like the ability to move an attachment wherever. For example I like to use an afg or stubby depending on the weapon, but I like them very close to my body. (Not a Costa Big Arm Fan) and the quad rail gives me that flexibility without moving or adding rail sections. And 2) I really don't mind the weight.
I've figured out like my friend told me, the AR is a highly personalized experience - we all learn what we like or dislike the more we piddle with our weapons, and I think I may be that old school KAC quad rail kind of guy, but won't know until I try it.
Thanks for the input, those were really good points and I appreciate you taking time to post them.

Jesse H
04-21-16, 10:42
Another C4 user. 12" FSP cutout on a personally owned 6920 that I toss between my truck and patrol car every day. Also used as a SWAT entry rifle. Only things attached to it are a Surefire X300u(a) and sling. I don't baby it and have been very happy with it. The X300 is a tight fit. I would recommend not tightening the light's 6 attachment screws all the way.

Like others have stated, it's larger and heavier than current offerings but I'm more than pleased with it. I did need to cut off the bayonet lug for the rail to clear. And although it is fee floating, if I really pull the flash hider I can the barrel to contact the rail. Of course I haven't found this to be an issue in normal use.

I had e-mailed Centurion with a question when I first purchased the rail and Monty himself responded.

RobertTheTexan
04-21-16, 11:19
Another C4 user. 12" FSP cutout on a personally owned 6920 that I toss between my truck and patrol car every day. Also used as a SWAT entry rifle. Only things attached to it are a Surefire X300u(a) and sling. I don't baby it and have been very happy with it. The X300 is a tight fit. I would recommend not tightening the light's 6 attachment screws all the way.

Like others have stated, it's larger and heavier than current offerings but I'm more than pleased with it. I did need to cut off the bayonet lug for the rail to clear. And although it is fee floating, if I really pull the flash hider I can the barrel to contact the rail. Of course I haven't found this to be an issue in normal use.

I had e-mailed Centurion with a question when I first purchased the rail and Monty himself responded.

Sounds like you give your AR a serious workout! That's one of the main reasons that I put the C4 on my short list. I read so many posts about "Monty emailed me" "Monty made it right" "Monty will fix it if it's wrong", I mean just really solid comments about the customer service. I also heard though that their pricing today and quite a bit higher than it was back in Centurions early days. Of course prices go up - our economy completely sucks right now, but it was an interesting to see there were a few comments about that.

Just out of curiosity, are you running a particular flash hider or standard birdcage? your comment on using it as entry weapons made me wonder if you were using a different FH. Thanks for the post. Hey and thanks for serving.

titsonritz
04-21-16, 11:26

What is improved with the LaRue compared to the KAC?

tehpwnag3
04-21-16, 14:22
Is there any non-quad rails out there that install to the existing barrel nut like the C4 does?

jstalford
04-21-16, 14:42
Is there any non-quad rails out there that install to the existing barrel nut like the C4 does?

Fortis Rev / Rev II

tehpwnag3
04-21-16, 15:04
Perfect. Thank you!

Fortis Rev / Rev II

Eurodriver
04-21-16, 15:09
I love the "I only want answers from people with experience with both rails" comment and the "I have no experience with..." replies

Larues were great in 2010. Time has moved on. Weight has slimmed down. I wouldn't buy a rail that needed a strap wrench to install when I can get a rail (the C4 for example) that is lighter and takes a few turns with a hex key instead.

bruin
04-21-16, 15:37
I had a C4 and agree that it's the best FF quad rail that uses the milspec barrel nut. However, consider how short the nut is, and how long of a lever (12"+ rail) is bolted to it. This combo is a compromise for the sake of convenience that will not be as rigid as a system with a barrel nut engineered for a long FF rail (i.e. Geissele, ALG).

Imagine loading a bipod at the end of a 15" rail bolted to a milspec barrel nut...

Stickman
04-21-16, 18:14
I had a C4 and agree that it's the best FF quad rail that uses the milspec barrel nut. However, consider how short the nut is, and how long of a lever (12"+ rail) is bolted to it. This combo is a compromise for the sake of convenience that will not be as rigid as a system with a barrel nut engineered for a long FF rail (i.e. Geissele, ALG).

Imagine loading a bipod at the end of a 15" rail bolted to a milspec barrel nut...

When did Centurion Arms start making a 15" C4 rail?

I own both, and have used both rails the OP mentions. I use the C4 rail on my duty weapon, and on a bunch of others. I have the availability to use whatever rail I wish, which should let you know all you need to. It isn't even close.

JG007
04-21-16, 18:48

I own both, and have used both rails the OP mentions. I use the C4 rail on my duty weapon, and on a bunch of others. I have the availability to use whatever rail I wish, which should let you know all you need to. It isn't even close.

SM, your take on C4 vs DD vs Mk4 for quad rails?

bruin
04-21-16, 23:20

Ah, I can see how I was unclear about the antecedent to 15" rail. Sorry about that. I had Samson and Fortis in mind. I have experience with the 9" and 12" C4, Samson 11" and 12", and 14" Rev. Still think they use a suboptimal attachment for long FF rails.

samuse
04-22-16, 10:13
What is improved with the LaRue compared to the KAC?

Built in QD cups and the lock plate that won't let the ring loosen. Back in the day it was common to drill and roll pin the locking rings on Daniel Defense and KAC rails.

And don't forget that the extra weight of the LaRue vs the C4 is in the barrel nut, ring and lock plate. It's still lighter than a RIS II, and ties it for the toughest rail available.

I don't own any quad rails anymore, but I still think LaRue makes the best one.

titsonritz
04-22-16, 12:52
Built in QD cups and the lock plate that won't let the ring loosen. Back in the day it was common to drill and roll pin the locking rings on Daniel Defense and KAC rails.

And don't forget that the extra weight of the LaRue vs the C4 is in the barrel nut, ring and lock plate. It's still lighter than a RIS II, and ties it for the toughest rail available.

I don't own any quad rails anymore, but I still think LaRue makes the best one.

Gotcha thanks, I was wondering what that plate was for, I thought it might have been some sort of a shim.

docsherm
04-22-16, 13:49
I have actually used both rails. As a matter of fact several of each. I no longer have any C4 rails. The C4 rail is very easy to install, but that is not a factor. I got rid of the C4 rails because I do not like 2 piece rails. No matter what the connection system is they can not be as strong as a single piece rail. I have never seen a problem with the C4 but I have seen a few DD RIS II bottem rail bend/ break. I currently have 6 LaRue rails and have never had an issue with them. And yes, I have several LaRue rails that have made work trips, not just range toys.

As for being "old".... That is just not true. Some people don't care about trying to make the lightest rifle possible or don't want KeyMod/ MLOK. The gas impingment system has not changed in many years, did all of you switch to the new gas piston system or stick to the tested gas system?

samuse
04-23-16, 00:39
I'm with Doc. Tough stuff that works doesn't go out of style.

I bent the bottom rail on an old RIS II (had holes all the way to the end). Don't remember how I did it, but DD did send me a new bottom piece free, no-hassle and quick.

The LITE III is an improvement over the RIS II. The RIS II has to be two piece to accommodate the grenade launcher. I still prefer the profile of the LaRue over the LITE III.

grantw1221
04-23-16, 09:04
Love my c4. have 4 of them, all holding up great.

Kain
04-24-16, 20:35
I'm with Doc. Tough stuff that works doesn't go out of style.

I bent the bottom rail on an old RIS II (had holes all the way to the end). Don't remember how I did it, but DD did send me a new bottom piece free, no-hassle and quick.

The LITE III is an improvement over the RIS II. The RIS II has to be two piece to accommodate the grenade launcher. I still prefer the profile of the LaRue over the LITE III.

How does the profile from the LITE III and the Larue differ? I have a Larue on one of my BCMs and with the price that the Larue rails have been marked at on their site, I have been tempted to order one to replace the Omega that is on one of my BCM middys since I prefer the diameter of it over the Omega which is taller, I have heard to mimic the feel of the M4 handguard. And all this talk about Larue rails is making it hard for me to not order one, even though I'd then need to find a reputable gunsmith to install her for me.

joeyjoe
04-24-16, 23:08
As i intimated in my previous post, the LITE III is the best quad rail on the market, imo. Its very low profile. All rails/sides are tucked in about as tight as you can get em (the bcm lo pro gas block barely makes a reasonable fit within the LITE III). Its worth noting that the profile of the LITE III is nothing like the previous LITE rails. I couldn't stand the "I-Beam" feel of the previous 2 iterations. That is now gone. The Larue is going to be a bit wider/taller and noticeably heavier than the LITE III. Though i have an upper with the BCM KMR rail, i am actually partial to quad rails. To put it into perspective, aside from the one KMR railed upper, every other upper i own is now sporting a LITE III. Im that sold on them. Bomb proof bolt up system, very rigid rail, relatively low profile sides, the lightest full quad on the market. If you are into quads, there's pretty much nothing to dislike about the LITE III. Id spring for it over the Larue, but thats just me.