PDA

View Full Version : Which handguard, flash hider and suppressor for Rainier Ultramatch upper?

tmanker
04-19-16, 20:37
I think I will have Rainier build me a 16" Ultramatch upper with Shilen blank. I'm looking for a lightweight, very accurate paper puncher and 'yote stopper. I need to figure out what handguard, flash hider/brake and suppressor to incorporate in to this. First of all, do I want a brake or flash hider? I'm leaning towards Silencerco Omega can. I do have a Mod Holland that HCS built for me. I have an AEM 5 can on the way for it. I don't think I can get the shilen barrel in a profile to run the Ops Inc brake and collar to use that can. Regarding the handguard, light weight is important to me. What handguard is best to fill that role? I do like the 13" keymod I have on one of the other guns I own. The only items that will be mounted would be an atlas bipod and possibly weapon light. Any help would be great. Thank you.

MegademiC
04-19-16, 21:39
Easy quick answer, kmr and socom 556 mini 2 with warcomp.

To get better answers, for the supressor, rate your priorities, poi shift, weight, sound, qd, etc. Most of the top cans should be more than durable enough to last a lifetime, so I left that out. How often will you shoot without a silencer attached?

tmanker
04-19-16, 22:09
My main priorities with suppressor would be weight and POI shift. I will likely leave the suppressor on most of the time. That being said, educate me if that is not the case. Any thoughts on the Rainier shilen blank barrels? Am I headed in the right direction for a lightweight, compact, accurate rifle? Thanks again.

tmanker
04-20-16, 18:54
Anybody else? Is there a better rail than the kmr? Any other thoughts? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

P2000
04-20-16, 19:40
I went with the NSR rail for my SPR. This decision was made before the KMR was released, however I would still go that route because it is stronger and more rigid than the KMR. I own a KMR on a carbine and love it, but wouldn't put a bipod on it without feeling squeamish. It is not as rigid as the NSR. Some prefer Geisselle rails for the ultimate in rigidity and strength, but this comes at a weight penalty. Maybe the KMR-A is stronger, I'm not sure.

I also went with SF SOCOM brake and 556RC. I'm very happy with it except it gets stuck on after every single range trip. Not a big deal to me, but to remove it I heat the suppressor up with a torch for 10 seconds then it comes off easily.

tmanker
04-20-16, 20:59
Are all of the Geissele rails m-lok? Is there any reason to go with ops inc brake/collar if I can get a spr profile out of shilen blank to run the AEM5? Are the surefire and Saker cans that much better?