PDA

View Full Version : "Forged In Fire" Show

Leaveammoforme
04-20-16, 00:39
For the blacksmiths, bladesmiths and people in the know;

How accurate is the show? Are the experts legit?

My knowledge stops beyond running a wire welder or torch so I find the show interesting.

I always watch skeptically though knowing how these style shows think padding in garbage makes it better.

jwinch2
04-20-16, 06:30
Doug Marcaida is a legitimate Filipino Martial Arts expert. He has studied multiple systems that are legit, and has combined them to make his own style, which he refers to as Marcaida Kali. I personally think that some of what he does is overly complex and flowery, but based upon my very limited interactions with him online, he seems like a pretty decent guy, and again, his skills are certainly legitimate.

dbain99
04-20-16, 07:04
Personally I could do with less host and less of Doug saying, "Et will Kell".
That being said, I do enjoy the show, along with Iron and Fire, because it's one of the few where they actually do something. Some of the contestants are very good blade smiths and I swear some are only filler.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

JC5188
04-23-16, 14:50
I enjoy the show. When Wil Willis is involved with one, I usually give it a shot as I've enjoyed his others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwinch2
04-23-16, 15:38

We are in agreement there. I actually don't watch the show much. There are a ton of vids on YT of smiths that I enjoy far more.

dbain99
04-23-16, 16:08
I don't watch youtube like I guess others do, is there anyone or any vides you particularly recommend ?

Spiffums
04-23-16, 17:46
That being said, I do enjoy the show, along with Iron and Fire, because it's one of the few where they actually do something. Some of the contestants are very good blade smiths and I swear some are only filler.

That's what I like about those type of shows. Faceoff, skinwars and Ink Master amaze me because those people are artists. Heck I even like Project Runway now and then when there is nothing else on because they actually have to create something.

ssracer
04-25-16, 23:45
Every time I spfinish an episode I start planning out a makeshift forge in my garage because I really would love to try my hand at just making a simple knives one day.

Leaveammoforme
04-26-16, 02:05
Every time I spfinish an episode I start planning out a makeshift forge in my garage because I really would love to try my hand at just making a simple knives one day.

I hear that.

I'm a self proclaimed Master Tinker'er and I've been looking at my shop vac and an old grill differently lately.

Spiffums
04-28-16, 17:39
I've been watching Iron & Fire lately. It's a "reality" show but not like the others. It's kinda light on the actual making process but traditional guns and knives are cool.

dbain99
04-28-16, 20:05
I've got a couple large brake drums, pipe, a hair dryer, 120lb anvil, 3 lb cross peen hammer, smithing coal on order and a pile of railroad spikes. Just waiting on a few rainy days!
In my mind I think I can make this:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160428/9c4752a5f4052d7853d85eca7c3d0a1a.jpg

But I'll probably be lucky to turn out this:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160428/973a4d68f732c4c3fe670cf9987504e3.jpg

Leaveammoforme
04-28-16, 20:28
I've got a couple large brake drums, pipe, a hair dryer, 120lb anvil, 3 lb cross peen hammer, smithing coal .....

Crap. I was going to use a bag Kingsford. Now I read I need 'bituminous'.

jwinch2
04-28-16, 21:01
I don't watch youtube like I guess others do, is there anyone or any vides you particularly recommend ?

There are tons of them. I just searched "forging" and started working through things from there. There a bunch on making blades, forge welding Damascus steel, etc.

Here is one shorter one that I liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDBasmPQcEU