PDA

View Full Version : Post Katrina Danziger Bridge event sentences

WillBrink
04-20-16, 16:27
Only a decade + after the event. What's interesting is, their sentence was over turned not due to anything they did, but bizarre unprofessional behavior by the U.S. Attorney's office. So, they will get far reduced sentences now for what was a FUBAR event in one of many that was Katrina and the responses to it. The Danziger Bridge event may have been the true low point for Katrina and in this case, the sentences do not reflect the crimes from the facts we have of it the event:

Danziger Bridge officers sentenced: 7 to 12 years for shooters, cop in cover-up gets 3

Four former New Orleans police officers were sentenced Wednesday (April 20) to prison terms of 7 to 12 years for the brutal shooting of six unarmed civilians on the Danziger Bridge, closing the gravest case of police brutality in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

A fifth former officer was sentenced to three years for his role in a subsequent cover-up of the incident on Sept. 4, 2005. U.S. District Judge Kurt Engelhardt sentenced the five defendants in federal court, moments after they admitted guilt as part of a plea agreement with government prosecutors that was endorsed by the victims' families.

The new sentences are substantially lower than those previously imposed after the five were convicted at trial in August 2011. Engelhardt previously sentenced each of the four ex-cops directly involved in the shooting to at least 38 years in prison, while the supervisor who attempted to mastermind the cover-up was sentenced to seven years.

But those convictions and sentences were vacated in September 2013 when Engelhardt ordered a new trial, citing "grotesque prosecutorial misconduct," which included two top deputies in former U.S. Attorney Jim Letten's office posting anonymous comments under NOLA.com stories deriding the accused officers. The scandal eventually forced the retirements of Letten and top lieutenants Sal Perricone and Jan Mann.

The defendants, most of whom have been jailed since July 2010, each will get credit for time served.

Here are the sentences for the five officers, followed by their previous sentence:

Kenneth Bowen, 10 years, previously 40 years.

Robert Faulcon Jr., 12 years, previously 65 years.

Robert Gisevius, 10 years, previously 40 years.

Anthony Villavaso, 7 years, previously 38 years.

Arthur Kaufman, who was involved in the cover-up but not the shooting, 3 years, previously 6 years.

Cont:

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/04/danziger_bridge_officers_sente.html

KalashniKEV
04-20-16, 16:49
There is so much more that happened after the storm that we will never know.

While tragic, the Katrina Scenario on the whole provides so many valuable lessons.

1) The government is not your friend.
2) No one is coming to help you. You need to help yourself.
3) Have a plan.
4) You can't help everyone.
5) All civilized societies are 3 meals away from complete and utter savagery.

Rekkr870
04-20-16, 17:02

While tragic, the Katrina Scenario on the whole provides so many valuable lessons.

3) Have a plan.
Absolutely; Americans are so arrogant/naïve and think that this cannot happen in our time. Oh, how quickly we forget.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

WillBrink
04-20-16, 17:05

3) Have a plan.

Sadly, I'd say those who already knew the above still know it and knew prior to Katrina, and those who don't, learned essentially nothing from the event. "On paper" the gubemt local and national may have an improved response to as lessons learned from Katrina in the future, but counting on that per your 1-5 points, is a bad idea.

Survival always favors the prepared.

KalashniKEV
04-20-16, 17:09
Sadly, I'd say those who already knew the above still know it and knew prior to Katrina, and those who don't, learned essentially nothing...

There were indeed folks who learned... painfully.

Firefly
04-20-16, 17:21

3) Have a plan.

Kev,

You should put that on a magnet/sticker and sell it.

Seeing uniformed officers looting was positively stomach turning when I saw it on the news.

Stocking up on ammo and food because you intend to stay and restore/maintain order.....eh, that gets a pass.

Getting TVs and jewelry, not so much.

People think I'm crazy for having a personal ruck, jump bag, and bandoleer of 308 mags that I never touch or steal from, but look at once a week to make sure it's still there.

There is always a possibility you may have to leave your home and never return.

I saw this movie a while back on late night cable about Yugoslavian Civil War.

One day, everybody is having a cookout, planning vacays, going out, living life....

Then all of a sudden, guerilla war.

Just like guys on I-85 in Priuses and mom-mobiles. Trapped like rats because of one inch of snow.

Trust me, there are no end of people willing to resort to rape, murder, and shoving bones up their noses who work in public safety if the world just totally went to hell.

Moose-Knuckle
04-20-16, 17:40
So where are the #BLM militants on this one? The victims were Black no? IIRC the LEOs were a mix of Black and White so . . .

“There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy.” — Alfred Henry Lewis March 1906 issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine

04-20-16, 17:58

3) Have a plan.

Was living in NOLA before, during, and after Katrina. Wife in Residency and was required to stay. We had passes to get through check points.
Agree with your points.

As to so much we will never know; how true. There was so much destruction, looting, shooting, no police/EMS, and just plain crazy shit happening. Some of the bat shit crazy things I saw I'll never forget. Sunk my truck up to axles in neighbor's yard trying to get through flooding. After water receded a bit, I could carry my mini bike to dry streets and drive around. So, I'm on a mini bike with a slung AR and a G17 on my hip. Had added a cup holder to handle bars. At that point in time, no one blinked an eye.

lunchbox
04-20-16, 18:43

3) Have a plan.
5) All civilized societies are 3 meals away from complete and utter savagery.Nailed it. No truer words have ever been spoken.

Survival always favors the prepared. I was always fond of “Chance only favors the prepared mind.” Louis Pasteur

Irish
04-20-16, 18:55
They should of got life behind bars, or been executed.

KalashniKEV
04-20-16, 19:34
Seeing uniformed officers looting...

Stocking up on ammo and food...

Getting TVs and jewelry, not so much.

They actually invented a test for this right there in New Orleans many years ago- which can be applied to this and other tough decisions.

Hold a brown paper bag up to your forearm.

Is your skin darker than the bag?

If yes, you will be considered a "looter."

If your skin is lighter than the bag, you are "foraging." ;)

It's sad, but true.

In the wake of a disaster of that magnitude, it's all fair game... and it's all written off. I know plenty of stuff guys took from Ground Zero during my 3 years there.

Plus for a poor person in Southern Louisiana, I actually dig the idea of a Rolex watch or something that entered the family in the wake of the tragedy/ during the aftermath. I mean... under pretty much no circumstances is the store owner going to come back after weeks of no rule of law and all their stuff is still there ready to get wiped off and sold. Game on.

Protecting your own shit was one thing, but "you loot, we shoot" and neighborhood patrols were mostly used as an excuse for sport killing and thrill kills... and yes there are plenty of dudes in bars outside the city with stories about their cousin's boyfriend's dad getting away with murder.

Was living in NOLA before, during, and after Katrina.

Cool.

I lived in NOLA for a few years before the storm.

I still have a 504 number.

Firefly
04-20-16, 20:08
I see what you're saying but my point is that if you're going to be the police, be the fvcking police.

If not, take off your uniform and put on a t shirt and hoodie and go wild. Just leave it off when the dust settles.

Guys hunkering down getting food, ammo, fresh water, and dry socks. Fine. Keep some kinda accountability so Wal Mart knows to bill the Dept in the aftermarh or decide it was for a worthy cause and let it be a donation. Set up a makeshift precinct or TOC and do your utter damndest to see that it doesn't get all Raccoon City until you are properly relieved.

Problem, Solution, or Scenery. Private citizens were disarmed. If you're going to do that then you gotta be responsible for it. Nobody sees some hump or some Retired on Active Duty guy. They see a person of authority, in uniform, not helping but doing their own shit.

That's my beef about it. If Cletus or Jamal comes into some phat chainz, oh well, par for the course.

But there was no excuse for uniformed officers behaving as such. Anymore than soldiers running a train on a baby-san and robbing the banks.
None.

It erodes trust. That's my deal.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-20-16, 20:34
As a cop, I have no problem saying this: these cops should have all been executed.

Firefly
04-20-16, 20:35
As a cop, I have no problem saying this: these cops should have all been executed.

Publicly.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-20-16, 20:38
Publicly.

And by good cops. Like you said, it's a trust issue. That would be a good way to earn some back.

SteyrAUG
04-20-16, 20:44

3) Have a plan.

Thankfully things didn't quite get that dire after Andrew. The NG was up and running within a week which is pretty fast and they were definitely an asset and were actively protecting citizenry and property.

My uncles neighborhood in Homestead got pretty organized pretty fast including helping people make repairs and secure houses as a large group, sorta like a barn raising.

I also think it had a lot to do with the mindset of the people living there vs. the mindset of the people living in NOLA. And of course not being underwater for the duration went a long way to help in recovery.

I knew when cops were looting stores in NOLA that everyone was going to have a hard time.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-20-16, 21:18

3) Have a plan.

100% on all points. Most people live in a bubble that they think can not and will not ever pop.

Alex V
04-20-16, 21:32
I agree, those cops should have faced the death penalty. Their actions set police/citizen trust years if not decades.

My only brush with a natural disaster was Sandy. My house didn't have power for 4 days, my parents for 5 and my friends for 7 the longest. My office was back up and running in three days. Nothing really happened. No NG, no one around. Just cold and dark. Once again, not under water and different mind set.

The worst I saw was some fights at local gas stations because of the lack of power and pumps being down. I filled up about 25gal worth of gas before the storm so I never had to wait in those lines.

Wonder what would happen if the power was down longer?

1_click_off
04-20-16, 21:57
It is sad when you have to pick the lesser of two evils when you have been wronged. Many of the folks I work with that live in the city say they will either live and learn or handle the issue themselves before calling N.O.P.D. They had a big drive to even get folks hired due to the bad wrap, low pay, danger of the job, etc. I know they were having to use the guard and supplement the city with troopers for a long time. More than just for events like Mardi Gras. Just the sheer shortage of city police demanded it. A lot of the businesses get really upset when they speak of slacking off of the extra man power. I am sure there are some good cops in N.O., but I still avoid it if I can. After Katrina, I converted my generator to natural gas and ran my own line. 14 days without power made me get in a gas line at least once. Now, never again. Strange feeling to go to sleep at night and just hear generators running and no utility power to light up anything.

Thieves were taking lawn mowers and would start them besides folks generators. They would steal the generator and because the owners thought they simply tripped a breaker, they were in no hurry to get outside to see the thieves had time to escape. The poor ex-generator owner became a POS lawnmower owner.

MountainRaven
04-21-16, 00:01
Publicly.

I favor good, strong hemp rope. And using the Danziger Bridge itself as the execution site, with the bodies to be left to rot until they decompose so badly that they fall into the Industrial Canal.

And the officer convicted of conspiring to cover up the crime, rather than being hanged until dead, will be placed in stocks on the bridge for a period of no less than two years and four months (a year for each person murdered, a month for each person wounded) and every sworn officer in NOLA will be required to slap him in the face (as hard or as soft as they wish) once before the sentence expires or be forced to resign. Each officer will then be issued thirteen feet of rope, which will be locked up by the department until it is needed - or the officer leaves the department. The family of the convict will bear full responsibility for feeding them and may, at their option, pay the city the salary of a police officer to have a police officer stand guard over the convict - or they may pay any other licensed private security firm.

Say what you will about Medieval Europeans, they sure knew how to punish people.

SteyrAUG
04-21-16, 00:48
I favor good, strong hemp rope. And using the Danziger Bridge itself as the execution site, with the bodies to be left to rot until they decompose so badly that they fall into the Industrial Canal.

And the officer convicted of conspiring to cover up the crime, rather than being hanged until dead, will be placed in stocks on the bridge for a period of no less than two years and four months (a year for each person murdered, a month for each person wounded) and every sworn officer in NOLA will be required to slap him in the face (as hard or as soft as they wish) once before the sentence expires or be forced to resign. Each officer will then be issued thirteen feet of rope, which will be locked up by the department until it is needed - or the officer leaves the department. The family of the convict will bear full responsibility for feeding them and may, at their option, pay the city the salary of a police officer to have a police officer stand guard over the convict - or they may pay any other licensed private security firm.

Say what you will about Medieval Europeans, they sure knew how to punish people.

Solid plan. But can we start with Congress first? I believe it will have a trickle down effect.

Moose-Knuckle
04-21-16, 02:59

I've been saying this since forever . . .

I own volumes in my personal library on the subject matter.

JC5188
04-21-16, 03:58
I agree, those cops should have faced the death penalty. Their actions set police/citizen trust years if not decades.

My only brush with a natural disaster was Sandy. My house didn't have power for 4 days, my parents for 5 and my friends for 7 the longest. My office was back up and running in three days. Nothing really happened. No NG, no one around. Just cold and dark. Once again, not under water and different mind set.

The worst I saw was some fights at local gas stations because of the lack of power and pumps being down. I filled up about 25gal worth of gas before the storm so I never had to wait in those lines.

Wonder what would happen if the power was down longer?

We lost power for 11 days due to an ice storm a few years back. The utility companies prioritized to get power back in a "triage" type fashion. Very similar to what you described.

Generators were being shipped in from neighboring states. Peoples employers, hospitals, and gas stations being pretty much the only places with power.

As bad as it was, the only real evidence was that we spent a day in a vacant lot cutting firewood for those in the neighborhood who had run out. That, and all the guys were unshaven while all the girls had ponytails. Had to heat small amounts of water to take the most basic bath.

It became a thing after about a week...you turned into the neighborhood when returning from work, looking for porch lights lit as evidence the power was back on. To this day, I can still tell you which of my neighbors have gas or battery operated porch lights.

Never saw any looting, NG, anything like that. I cannot imagine how it would be after a disaster the magnitude of Katrina. That wipes out everything you own. Or kills you right off the bat.

Damn.

Straight Shooter
04-21-16, 08:04
Over the years, as Ive practiced & preached personal safety and prepping for bad/hard times..many people have asked me.."How do YOU KNOW how its gonna be?!" "How do YOU KNOW what people will do"?
I simply sit them down in front of a computer, and start pulling up video from Katrina, O.J. verdict, L.A. riots, blackouts, storms, jury verdicts, and all the latest BLM shit,ect, ect, and SHOW them "how I KNOW" whats gonna happen. Usually works really really well. And I explain to them a certain percentage of "good guys" like cops & military, National guard and so forth, will NOT be "good guys". And then I explain the " 9 meals from anarchy" thing. And then, lastly..I tell them Im gonna remember, should something happen..who listened, and who didn't, and Ill assist accordingly.

Outlander Systems
04-21-16, 08:52
****ing gospel.

6) Nothing is more valuable than friends who'd catch a bullet for you.

3) Have a plan.

OH58D
04-21-16, 11:47
My sister in law was an engineer for Conoco-Phillips. She was holed up in a French Quarter Hotel during and after Katrina. She was there for the Conoco Alliance Refinery at Belle Chasse. She sent us photos of the flooded refinery and the hundreds of Water Moccasins swarming the place. It's interesting that the oldest part of New Orleans (French Quarter) didn't flood. The rest of that city and suburbs are all reclaimed swamp land.